Forum Settings
Forums

female characters most loved, revered, and respected by women

New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Feb 3, 2016 7:24 PM

Aug 2015
Here are my heroines, my senpais, my elder sisters, my baby sisters XD precious, respected, and/or especially adorable~

•The SnK soldier girls, especially Mikasa Ackerman and Sasha Braus.
•The FMAB girls (you've just got to love them~): Winry Rockbell, Izumi Curtis, Riza Hawkeye, Olivier Mira Armstrong, Maria Ross, Sheska, Lan Fan, May Chang
•HxH: Biscuit Krueger
•Steins;Gate: Makise Kurisu, Suzuha Amane
•Monster: Anna Liebert
•Samurai Champloo: Fuu
•Trigun: Milly Thompson
•Yowamushi Pedal: Miyahara
•Noblesse: Seira
•Honey and Clover: Hagumi Hanamoto, Ayumi Yamada
•Tantei Team KZ Jiken Note: Aya Tachibana
•HaruChika: Chika Homura
koori_no_jinFeb 3, 2016 11:56 PM
蒼穹を舞う。
Feb 3, 2016 9:10 PM

Dec 2015
Cishet said:
She's hated by many females, though. Probably the fact that she goes full yandere for Ernest makes her less likable.

What? She is? But, I like Mikasa. I had no idea she was hated by some females.

It seems Haruhi from OHSHC is loved by many; I honestly don't like her.
Feb 3, 2016 9:22 PM

Feb 2011
Hmm. Its really hard for me to think of females that arent sexualized and are highly capable. Im a male though, so I do gravitate toward more male heroes, and a lot of shonen shows have pretty stereotyped females imo. Im kinda surprised at some answers like Haruhi given what she did to Mikuru during the movie scene. That said, I actually do like Haruhi (in my eyes, shes similar to a male Orihara Izaya, an embodiment of chaos and fun but still highly capable, intelligent, and athletic).

I feel a lot shoujo have females who are "perfect" like in Maid Sama or Last Game/Special A, etc, and while I like that in moderation, Im not crazy if the character is gooey eyed over a guy too much or too much of a stock character. I think I really appreciate when a character at least has a goal, like Chihaya in Chihayafuru (who aims for the Queen title).

Another issue Ive heard mentioned by others but cannot tell the truthfulness of by myself (so someone please tell me if this is true cause IDK and cannot tell myself) is that a lot capable females are just male characters pasted woth a female body. Aka the author wrote a cool, capable male and then genderswapped the male and went ahead with the story. Ive heard even my college writing teacher suggest this. What do people think of this method? Is this truly how a lot of females are in anime/manga?

Anyway, to the point, some of my favorite females off the top of my head below. I like smart heroes/heroines the most, but I also like humanized or underdog ones or cool, capable ones. I also have a thing for the genki girl trope - I like the excitement and energy from them, even if theyre not my most respected females.

I like Kirigiri Kyouko and Chiaki Nanami from the Danganronpa series and think theyre both reallt good heroines/deuteragonists. They are more capable in investigations than the male MCs and they are very reliable allies. Kyouko is also the only female detective I know (theres one in DC but shes not as capable as Heiji or Kudo)

I also like Haruhi as stated above. I enjoy Chihaya and Shinobu a fair bit as they both have goals are fun.

Hmm, I also a fan of Yukinoshita Yukino but shes a bit of a mary stu. But shes also still humanized in many ways. Not sure yet as Im reading atm still.

Theres probably some others that I cant recall at the moment. So far, I think the heroine I respect the most is probably Kirigiri Kyouko though.
Feb 4, 2016 3:20 AM

Nov 2009
Dragon said:
Hmm. Its really hard for me to think of females that arent sexualized and are highly capable. Im a male though, so I do gravitate toward more male heroes, and a lot of shonen shows have pretty stereotyped females imo. Im kinda surprised at some answers like Haruhi given what she did to Mikuru during the movie scene. That said, I actually do like Haruhi (in my eyes, shes similar to a male Orihara Izaya, an embodiment of chaos and fun but still highly capable, intelligent, and athletic).

You seem to have misread this thread. The Haruhi who is popular in this thread is the protagonist of Ouran High School Host Club (the bookish girl who gets into a rich people's school on a scholarship, and gets wrapped into the local host club, whose main purpose is to entertain their guests), not Haruhi from Melanholy of Suzumiya Haruhi (the energetic girl who wraps the whole world around her finger and starts her own club, whose main purpose is to entertain her).
Feb 4, 2016 1:45 PM

Feb 2011
flannan said:
Dragon said:

You seem to have misread this thread. The Haruhi who is popular in this thread is the protagonist of Ouran High School Host Club (the bookish girl who gets into a rich people's school on a scholarship, and gets wrapped into the local host club, whose main purpose is to entertain their guests), not Haruhi from Melanholy of Suzumiya Haruhi (the energetic girl who wraps the whole world around her finger and starts her own club, whose main purpose is to entertain her).

Okay, that makes like infinitely more sense. I dont remember any of Ouran's character names, and I had thought most people hated Haruhi Suzumiya.
Feb 4, 2016 2:04 PM

Apr 2013
If everything in this world was right, the answer to this thread should be Kou Shuurei, obviously. x)

Most capable, and you feel so much respect for her.
But yeah, peoples on the west don't know her.
In japan she has more fame due to the novel series Ithink. Not that well known either, alas.
A shame really. Try to find a better female protagonist than her. that's ging to be very difficult.
Feb 4, 2016 5:35 PM

Apr 2015
In my opinion :

Akatsuki no Yona : Yona
Aoharu x Kikanjuu : Tachibana Hotaru
Black Lagoon : Revy and Balalaika
Chihayafuru : Chihaya
Durarara!! : Celty
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood : almost all of the female characters
Gintama : Kagura and all other female characters
Lucky☆Star : Konata
Nana : Nana Osaki
Ouran Koukou Host Club : Haruhi
Psycho-Pass : Akane and other female characters who work with her
Saiunkoku Monogatari : Shuurei
Shingeki no Kyojin : Mikasa and almost all the soldier girls
Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun : Shizuku
Zetsuen no Tempest : Fuwa Aika
Feb 4, 2016 5:56 PM

Dec 2015
Shirayuki from Snow White with the Red Hair?
Feb 4, 2016 6:19 PM
Jun 2015
I agree with Yona from Akatsuki no yona. I really like the growth and development her character goes through.

A character that I definitely don't admire is Oboro from Basilisk. What a weak annoying character.
Feb 4, 2016 10:54 PM

Nov 2009
Dragon said:
I had thought most people hated Haruhi Suzumiya.

In my mind, Haruhi Suzumiya is a fun character, but not deserving of respect. (But you can respect her for not going with the flow and for her creativity in interpretation of aliens and stuff, if you value such traits.)
No idea how women see her.
Feb 4, 2016 11:00 PM

Nov 2012
Definitely Yona from Akatsuki no Yona as many have said above :)
Feb 4, 2016 11:12 PM

Apr 2015
Motoko from ghost in the shell: sac is my fav female character, along with celty from durarara. They're both badass without being emotionless
Feb 5, 2016 3:56 AM

Dec 2015
SmoothJazzDavis said:
Any independant females characters that don't depend or merely depend on the MC. I think people hate the ones that can't make their own choices and need help for that purpose.

Personally, the female character i respect the most is Eto from Tokyo Ghoul.

Smirker said:
Natalia Kaminski (Fate Zero)
Hotaru Tachibana (Aoharu x Kikanjuu)
Canaan & Alphard (Canaan)
C.C (Code Geass)
Naomi Misora (Death Note)
Sanae and Nagisa Furukawa (Clannad)
Kajika Burnsworth (Hanasakeru Seishounen)
Akane Tsunemori (Psycho Pass)

Just a few of my favourites. Strong, smart and inspiring characters. I don't think they've been mentioned yet ... I don't really tend to like female characters in anime etc so they're more noticeable to me when they DO pop up.

I agree with you, characters who can stand on their own, powerful and know what they want - they're the most loved characters (mostly) in Shonen anime/manga.

Anyway, it always depends on the person - everyone has his preferences. My favourite characters are almost always anti-heroes and antagonists.

But I'd definitely say that Yona from Akatsuki no Yona, like I said before, is a really respected and loved character from both genders. I can also say that about Akane Tsunemori from Psycho-Pass even though she gets too a bit of hate (what I can't even understand 'cause she's better than most other women in anime).

Akane is strong, mentally and physically, she matured, she became a strong woman with a big influence.

For girls like me it's always pretty refreshing to see a female anime character that outshines the male cast. But I personally don't like it if female characters are sexualized. It's also important, at least for me, that the female characters aren't like the stereotype - they don't need to be a killing machine or an abnormal love interest in someone - it's also enough if they just are themselves, true to themselves, say what they think and want, but are strong in their minds.

That's why I think that these female characters are actually pretty good characters and don't need any male character to get a development in the series.
Feb 5, 2016 12:05 PM

Feb 2011
I
flannan said:
Dragon said:
I had thought most people hated Haruhi Suzumiya.

In my mind, Haruhi Suzumiya is a fun character, but not deserving of respect. (But you can respect her for not going with the flow and for her creativity in interpretation of aliens and stuff, if you value such traits.)

I think I agree. She does some low things, but I like her freedom.
Feb 5, 2016 12:10 PM

Oct 2014
Saber from the Fate Series or Shiki from Kara no Kyoukai? I mostly find female characters annoying as hell lol
Feb 5, 2016 12:18 PM

Dec 2015
I have no idea what female characters women would like... but I can tell you that I know a lot of men that really like Kuroki Tomoko, aka Mokkochi; The greatest shoujo of all time.

<3 Mokocchi
Feb 5, 2016 12:54 PM

Feb 2014
i respect eto from tokyo ghoul and robin from one piece. and i like menma from ano hana and mayuri from steins gate.

i think menma and mayuri are the most lovable females. it based on their seiyuus too, of course.
EustassKiddo !
Feb 5, 2016 2:46 PM

Dec 2015
quorras said:
SmoothJazzDavis said:
Any independant females characters that don't depend or merely depend on the MC. I think people hate the ones that can't make their own choices and need help for that purpose.

Personally, the female character i respect the most is Eto from Tokyo Ghoul.

Smirker said:
Natalia Kaminski (Fate Zero)
Hotaru Tachibana (Aoharu x Kikanjuu)
Canaan & Alphard (Canaan)
C.C (Code Geass)
Naomi Misora (Death Note)
Sanae and Nagisa Furukawa (Clannad)
Kajika Burnsworth (Hanasakeru Seishounen)
Akane Tsunemori (Psycho Pass)

Just a few of my favourites. Strong, smart and inspiring characters. I don't think they've been mentioned yet ... I don't really tend to like female characters in anime etc so they're more noticeable to me when they DO pop up.

I agree with you, characters who can stand on their own, powerful and know what they want - they're the most loved characters (mostly) in Shonen anime/manga.

Anyway, it always depends on the person - everyone has his preferences. My favourite characters are almost always anti-heroes and antagonists.

But I'd definitely say that Yona from Akatsuki no Yona, like I said before, is a really respected and loved character from both genders. I can also say that about Akane Tsunemori from Psycho-Pass even though she gets too a bit of hate (what I can't even understand 'cause she's better than most other women in anime).

Akane is strong, mentally and physically, she matured, she became a strong woman with a big influence.

For girls like me it's always pretty refreshing to see a female anime character that outshines the male cast. But I personally don't like it if female characters are sexualized. It's also important, at least for me, that the female characters aren't like the stereotype - they don't need to be a killing machine or an abnormal love interest in someone - it's also enough if they just are themselves, true to themselves, say what they think and want, but are strong in their minds.

That's why I think that these female characters are actually pretty good characters and don't need any male character to get a development in the series.

Depending and being influenced are two different things. There is no way someone could grow without being influenced by a factor. Just someone that stand on herself/himself, that shows openly her/his personality, is a person that deserves respect. The ones that hide themselves behind other characters are the ones that deserve the less respect. Leadership is a more precious characteristic trait than strenght. Intellect, most of time, go by experiences and is directly and indirectly influenced by someone childhood. (So being smart is a matter of luck.) By that, i can say that Eren Jaeger is a fake (Well, he just starts to slowly becoming genuine.)
, and Mikasa is in search of her identity. Still ship them together and hope that they'll grow independently from each others and start something genuine. Taking initiatives is also something worth of respect. But if someone doesn't act in fear of hurting her/his own feelings, that's not worth disrespect, as any individuals have the right to feel fear, which is a primitive and instinctive feeling.
Feb 5, 2016 3:11 PM

Dec 2015
SmoothJazzDavis said:
Depending and being influenced are two different things. There is no way someone could grow without being influenced by a factor. Just someone that stand on herself/himself, that shows openly her/his personality, is a person that deserves respect. The ones that hide themselves behind other characters are the ones that deserve the less respect. Leadership is a more precious characteristic trait than strenght. Intellect, most of time, go by experiences and is directly and indirectly influenced by someone childhood.

I know. I agree with you on that.
Mikasa is a strong female character and she has a big lead, but she too was ofc influenced by someone, we all know that's Eren.
Same goes for Akane from Psycho-Pass, Kogami led her to her new thinking and living ways - that's okay with me, I like that, but it's important to know that the female characters aren't any less good as the male characters. Because there are too many girls that also just don't like the female characters because they say that the they are "annoying" or such.
Can't understand that, can't agree on that.
You're a girl yourself, so practically you're kinda offending yourself, lol.
That's what I think about them.

So, at least, I can say that I like female characters that are strong on their own, mentally or physically doesn't matter and I also think that the sympathy for an anime character is strongly dependant from yourself.
If you see yourself in a female character on the show, you most likely will like her - because she remembers you of yourself, you can relate to her or you just wish you can BE like her. That's what matters for me and maybe others think so too?

Just my opinion, for now.
Being inspired by a female character is also quite something that makes her popular or even being respected by the female fandom.
quorrasFeb 5, 2016 3:15 PM
Feb 5, 2016 4:46 PM

Dec 2015
quorras said:
SmoothJazzDavis said:
Depending and being influenced are two different things. There is no way someone could grow without being influenced by a factor. Just someone that stand on herself/himself, that shows openly her/his personality, is a person that deserves respect. The ones that hide themselves behind other characters are the ones that deserve the less respect. Leadership is a more precious characteristic trait than strenght. Intellect, most of time, go by experiences and is directly and indirectly influenced by someone childhood.

I know. I agree with you on that.
Mikasa is a strong female character and she has a big lead, but she too was ofc influenced by someone, we all know that's Eren.
Same goes for Akane from Psycho-Pass, Kogami led her to her new thinking and living ways - that's okay with me, I like that, but it's important to know that the female characters aren't any less good as the male characters. Because there are too many girls that also just don't like the female characters because they say that the they are "annoying" or such.
Can't understand that, can't agree on that.
You're a girl yourself, so practically you're kinda offending yourself, lol.
That's what I think about them.

So, at least, I can say that I like female characters that are strong on their own, mentally or physically doesn't matter and I also think that the sympathy for an anime character is strongly dependant from yourself.
If you see yourself in a female character on the show, you most likely will like her - because she remembers you of yourself, you can relate to her or you just wish you can BE like her. That's what matters for me and maybe others think so too?

Just my opinion, for now.
Being inspired by a female character is also quite something that makes her popular or even being respected by the female fandom.

Well, you are right. People will tend to like characters that they can related to and/or being inspired by.
Feb 5, 2016 5:06 PM

Jun 2014
hermes costello
hatchin
Chocolat Meilleure

i don't think i have the brain power rn to make a proper list. there's characters i love and characters i respect that aren't in this. let me get back to you.

Dragon said:
I
flannan said:

I think I agree. She does some low things, but I like her freedom.

when she made the other girl (i forgot her name- it's been years) do some things i thought it was funny and quirky because i was like 10. but now, i'm 11, and it totally makes sense why someone would hate a character like her. she dwells in her freedom but others pay for it? what the fuckity fuck is up with that.
"madoka magica is just so ridiculous I mean who is going to believe such a shoddy melodramatic tragedy could have any commercial or moral value"

Feb 6, 2016 10:33 AM

Jun 2015
Clare from claymore and Oscar from rose of versailles are both strong female characters.

Kurumi from kimi ni todoke is a strong, positive "rival" and well written character, rare in the realm of romance anime I think
Feb 8, 2016 6:18 AM

Jun 2009
Hiyori from Noragami
Alice from Pandora Hearts
Misaka Mikoto from Raildex
Nozomi/Maki from Love Live
Shirayuki from Akagami no Shirayukihime
And the girls from Gintama

I have a lot but these are the ones that come to mind.

Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» Popular and acclaimed anime that you do not understand the hype of?

Semester1 - 39 minutes ago

2 by Spunkert »»
44 seconds ago

» What's the biggest outlier in your favorite series or character list?

TheBlockernator - Yesterday

19 by Shiningpom »»
14 minutes ago

» Since anime fans today are weaklings and easily triggered, if Berserk were to be adapted properly today, do you think it would receive many complains? ( 1 2 )

Rinrinka - May 17

55 by Bruh69XD »»
15 minutes ago

» Will AI help reduce "crunch time" in the anime industry?

GoatPieceLuffy - 32 minutes ago

1 by Theo1899 »»
17 minutes ago

» Why are prudes trying to censor anime?

GoatPieceLuffy - 4 hours ago

29 by traed »»
36 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.