Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Mar 5, 2015 3:34 PM

Jan 2014
Best episode of these 9 so far, unleashing the momentum
Mar 5, 2015 3:49 PM
Sep 2013
KageNoAbisu said:

Okay, so the black dober, devil ape, and owl are all epic. I do have to admit that I still don't understand why they're killing so many people if right now they're accepting their punishment...but oh well, the "welcome" and "woof, woof" parts were great so whatever. I also really enjoyed the part where Kaneki saw the paper airplane and then the screen.

I think the individual reasons are better left to the viewers imagination.
It could be anything you think fit their character :
- Pride as a warrior / ghoul
- Realizing they need to die but not wanting a pathetic death but rather one last hurrah; a glorious end
- As a tribute to Anteiku and what it stood for
- Dying so that Anteiku would be considered wiped out by the CCG and ghouls like Touka get a clean slate to start a new life

Let us remember that these are Japanese characters. Last stands are pretty fuckin' common in Japanese history and literature. Family members and retainer used to kill themselves when their lord / clan is defeated. Last stands are (or rather were seen as) the honorable thing to do and for honorable characters the only thing they can do in such situation.
varingianMar 5, 2015 3:53 PM
Mar 5, 2015 4:18 PM

May 2014
Sparteh said:
Epic episode. No shit. I am the only one who has a feeling that anime ending is going to be darker even than manga's?

I haven't read the manga, but I believe this lasts episodes are going to be epic as fuck,

I for one I'm aboard the hype-train. First class tickets.
Mar 5, 2015 4:25 PM

May 2014
arkv said:
Does the manager hide one eye out of respect for his son or something? Ep 8 made it sound as though his son disappeared and became the Owl but I guess that was just a translation difference.

The only difference is that I understood the Owl's son is the legit one-eyed ghoul and that he went missing from a raid many years ago. Who knows, maybe we'll see him on a face-off against the artifical one-eyed ghoul.
Mar 5, 2015 4:32 PM

Oct 2011
Shedding a tear and next week OMG T_______T
Mar 5, 2015 4:40 PM
Sep 2013
Wow this episode was really good in my opinion. They definitely put the best scenes in this episode and executed it very well. A little differences but cant complain. Next week episode cant wait. Kaneki going in on the CCG.
Mar 5, 2015 4:45 PM

Dec 2013
I actually really liked this episode. My one complaint is, like what most people have been saying, that the Tsukiyama scene didn't really make narrative sense considering his lack of interaction with Kaneki in this adaptation.

Despite that, I thought the episode was nicely balanced in that it had a lot of emotion while also providing some action. Nice buildup to the final fight.

I know a lot of people are comparing it to the manga, but I'm just trying to separate the two. Pierrot didn't do the original series justice, I'll agree, but it's still a good series in my opinion and I can still appreciate it for what it is.
Mar 5, 2015 4:53 PM

Sep 2014
OMG Yoshimura, you couldn't be more badass than that.
The eyes, the words, holy shit.
Mar 5, 2015 5:07 PM
Nov 2013
Yoshimura as Owl = bad ass. The moment he spoke I started screaming. Because how cool it was. I have an extremely bad feeling about Touka going to Anteiku, this is an anime original story...
Mar 5, 2015 5:12 PM

Oct 2013
Yeah that was comedic relief alright. But of course one-eye can't stick around watching. Kaneki is joining. Man what's going to happen? Where's Anteiku? I'm sure its members will jump in sometime
Mar 5, 2015 5:15 PM
Jan 2015
Great episode... Koma and Irimi!
Mar 5, 2015 5:29 PM

Aug 2013
Kaneki finally about to step in and help.
My Candies:
Mar 5, 2015 5:32 PM

Aug 2010
Aniteku Raid begins with a bang. Really enjoyed the fight scenes this episode. The Kaneki and Tsukiyama scene felt a little strange because their whole relationship was cut out. It still worked though.

Felt so sad when Juuzou made a paper airplane and threw away his will...

Kaneki's about to join the battle. His whole character prior to this in Root A feels like a joke. Hopefully next 3 episodes do him some justice but at this point I don't really care much about him in the anime. Just hyped to see the fights animated.
Mar 5, 2015 5:36 PM

Oct 2012
Dayum all the buildup was so satisfying for this episode, everything is starting to come down and soon Kaneki is joining the fight too. Now it's only a matter of time before the feels start to hit us hard.
Mar 5, 2015 5:38 PM

Aug 2013
Here's to hoping for an "Akame ga Kill!" ending.
Mar 5, 2015 5:45 PM

Jan 2011
lol always thought the whole tsukiyama scene was dumb in general still felt weird that they kept it in.

actual pretty solid episode some of my favorite moments happened in this final arc hope they do good on it at least!.
Mar 5, 2015 6:23 PM

Dec 2009
lablackmamba said:
arkv said:
Does the manager hide one eye out of respect for his son or something? Ep 8 made it sound as though his son disappeared and became the Owl but I guess that was just a translation difference.

The only difference is that I understood the Owl's son is the legit one-eyed ghoul and that he went missing from a raid many years ago. Who knows, maybe we'll see him on a face-off against the artifical one-eyed ghoul.

Their was no mistake in the translation, his child is the one-eyed ghoul. I'll spoiler this just in case since I don't remember if it actually said anything in episode 8

Mar 5, 2015 6:36 PM

Sep 2013
It felt pretty rushed.

So, Touka is going to the eye of the storm?! Uhm, thats interesting.
Mar 5, 2015 6:38 PM

Aug 2013
Good Episode. The scene when everyone was writing their final letters to their families was touching. :(

TheRealDeal51 said:
TheUnbiasedOne91 said:
Tsukiyama and Kaneki have had ZERO interaction with each other this entire time, have had zero character development TOGETHER, and you want to try to pull the heartwrenching rooftop scene? Nuh-uh. It doesn’t even add up! I haven’t been THIS upset with an anime since Air - and that was a crappy anime.

The anime went over their 'relationship' a lot in the first series. Literally almost everytime that Tsu is on screen he has something to say about Kaneki, he is an obsessed freak who wants nothing more than to eat him but at the same time cares for him as a 'friend' in a weird way, it really doesn't need much more explanation than that. Not speaking to someone for a period of time isn't going to weaken someone like Tsukiyama's feelings. I have come to this conclusion without ever reading the manga, I'm not sure if it's accurate but from my POV and the angle that I think the anime is portraying, I think that if you can read between the lines they have explained it well for short 12 eps seasons (of course it would be even better with more time to give context) butl not everything has to be made black and white.

+1000! I came to the same conclusion as you about Tsukiyama and Kaneki's relationship. People really need to read between the lines. Everything is not going to be spelled out for you.
PoeticJustice said:
nigga i am black, do you think my ass would fit in? "Oh look it is negro kun." Hell no.
Mar 5, 2015 6:43 PM

Apr 2013
Koma and Irimi are pretty badass
Mar 5, 2015 6:45 PM

Jan 2015
Good episode as always.
Mar 5, 2015 6:54 PM

Jul 2013
Woooooooow intense episode!
I like Irimi, she's pretty cool!
Shuu, don't do it!!!
PhinalPhlashMar 5, 2015 6:57 PM
Mar 5, 2015 6:58 PM

Aug 2014
I've come to appreciate Touka a lot more after watching the latest episode of Shigatsu, witnessing what abomination she could have been...
~||Sky of the Night Light||~
Mar 5, 2015 7:10 PM

Nov 2011
Up till now I was under the impression that the corpse Kaneki is carrying in the promotional poster is his old black haired Kaneki but now it might be Touka.

If they left out Tsukiyama's scene, it would've been better. Its supposed to be emotional but since he has little to no interaction with Kaneki this season, its more of a comedy scene.

There shouldn't be Tokyo Ghoul: re anime until they make Tokyo Ghoul Brotherhood.

Mar 5, 2015 7:14 PM

Jan 2015
Hope they explain what happened to rize and the half-ghoul sisters. I think they will keep the kanou scene in the end.

Mar 5, 2015 7:16 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Z4k said:
Comic_Sans said:
Were we supposed to care about fat ape guy's and jackal girl's dead and Taikazawa's ''I DUN WANA DAI'' testament?

None of them are dead.

For now. (I'm not spoiling anything, i didnt read the manga lel.)
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Mar 5, 2015 7:27 PM

Apr 2014
StevenHu said:

Wait. God no I hope nothing as bad as that happens.
Z4KMar 5, 2015 7:49 PM
Mar 5, 2015 7:35 PM

Aug 2013
Z4k said:
StevenHu said:

Wait. God no I hope nothing as has as that happens.

I have a feeling that ...
Mar 5, 2015 7:39 PM

Jul 2009
StevenHu said:

Nuff said
Mar 5, 2015 7:45 PM

Apr 2008
This episode (and the last, really) was unexpectedly good. Is this season really the end? This is going to be dark.

Mar 5, 2015 8:02 PM

Jun 2013
Wow

This was a pretty good episode, really unexpected, probably the only one I really liked, the mood only ruined by Tsukiyama, the last time Kaneki saw Tsukiyama was when? After Touka beat the crap out of him? And now he is being all polite to the guy that tried to eat him…twice? I can’t really remember if they interacted at the end of the first season, given how forgettable it was to me, but this is even more forced than when Keneki met Touka on the bridge. lol

And speaking of Touka, so she’s going to the raid? Guess she won’t be opening that coffee shop…or become a teacher.

And Aogiri just let Kaneki go where he pleases huh? And here I thought they actually had some type of order system in place or something.

Nice seeing Black Dobel and Devil Ape.

All in all, good ep and epic ED art as always.
Mar 5, 2015 9:23 PM

Aug 2014
This episode was probably the only episode in the entire series that had me crying straight for the entire 20+ minutes.

> Takizawa's "I don't want to die"- this had me bawling in manga for some reason, though it didn't make me feel as sad as I watched it in the anime, it still made me feel the same as if I was reading the manga again

> Kaneki finding out about the Anteiku Raid - When his eyes widened, I was like WHAAAT, then when I saw what he was reading, I screamed and had to pause cause I literally didn't know how to feel

> Touka and Yomo's talk until he finally let her go - I'm starting to grow more fond of Touka, I used to not like her.

> Irimi and Koma going against the CCG - We don't really know much about them in the anime, and they're more of background/supporting characters, but ghouls defending themselves, fighting and dying for one another, makes me sad for some reason. I mean, it'd be normal to see fight scenes and the people, who we have 1% knowledge about, die and all but they fight to die and when you realize it's a "punishment" to them

> Yoshimura's short speech - When he said what he did, it didn't make that much sense to me as it did in the manga. I don't know if it's the wording, or the pacing or if they literally just changed it. It had the gist, but it wasn't entirely there. But anyway, it was an epic moment imo.

> Nishiki and Tsukiyama's "last" words to Kaneki - Nishiki's had me crying more, but, when he said that last line, also made me laugh. Now, Tsukiyama and Kaneki barely had any interaction. "Barely" I say when in fact, they had none. But trying to look behind the scenes, Tsukiyama, as we all know, has been stalking him. Looking for all sorts of information about him, whatever it may be. Kaneki had not have been seeing/talking to Tsukiyama, but Tsukiyama made it his mission to know everything about Kaneki and what he did. And in their "final" conversation, we see Tsukiyama cared for him just as much as in the manga, despite Kaneki not even caring about him in the slightest. But to be honest, they made Tsukiyama the comedy in Root A and it sucks. When we kept seeing Tsukiyama and his english/french/foreign lines, I got sick of it to be honest. And when they had to repeat his handkerchief sniffing in a previous episode.

Aaaanyway, before I swerve any further from the topic, this episode was awesome.

By the way, whose grave was Amon visiting? Or is she just a friend/acquaintance from Amon's past that we need not know about?

Mar 5, 2015 9:28 PM

Apr 2013
Holy fucking shit, fuckign shit shit that thing with the dude happend and like shit whent down holy shit
Mar 5, 2015 9:42 PM

Dec 2013
TheUnbiasedOne91 said:
Tsukiyama and Kaneki have had ZERO interaction with each other this entire time, have had zero character development TOGETHER, and you want to try to pull the heartwrenching rooftop scene? Nuh-uh. It doesn’t even add up! I haven’t been THIS upset with an anime since Air - and that was a crappy anime.

THIS. THIS. THIS. Like was I supposed to feel bad for him or something? I didn't know if I should laugh at him or not. I'm confused, lol. It felt more meaningful in the manga for obvious reasons.
Mar 5, 2015 9:49 PM

Aug 2011
xSanox said:
great episode.

Agree...I really enjoyed the whole thing and will re-watch it again over the weekend.

Love the greatness of the Master, The Owl. I hope he survives but with all that manpower being thrown at him...who knows.

Touka-chan has no business going there...she's just gonna get in the way. >x<
Mar 5, 2015 9:52 PM

Aug 2014
To the people saying that Kaneki's carrying Touka here...

I don't really think that's the case since the one in the poster had no breasts. Unless Touka's flat.... but is not, evidently.

Mar 5, 2015 9:58 PM

Aug 2013
kunokunoichi said:

I don't really think that's the case since the one in the poster had no breasts. Unless Touka's flat.... but is not, evidently.

There is blood around Kaneki's lips.

Maybe he ate her breasts, which is how she died and why the corpse is flat.
Mar 5, 2015 10:02 PM

Jul 2012
StevenHu said:
kunokunoichi said:

Nah it was just Touka's monthly visitor, Kaneki ain't a messy eater
Mar 5, 2015 10:05 PM

Feb 2014
It was a great episode imo. But, why it had to end with Kaneki about to jump in the fight ;_;
Mar 5, 2015 10:10 PM

Aug 2013
wzrd said:
StevenHu said:

Nah it was just Touka's monthly visitor, Kaneki ain't a messy eater

Mar 5, 2015 10:14 PM
Nov 2014
Best ep yet... Go old man, kick some of dat doves asses. Yomo should have helped old man fight back the doves. Dat ending cliffhanger though.

5/5
Mar 5, 2015 10:15 PM

May 2014
Awesome episode...ahh why must Touka do this :/
Mar 5, 2015 10:18 PM

Jul 2012
Meetdeath said:
Awesome episode...ahh why must Touka do this :/

Because Touka didn't actually do this
Mar 5, 2015 10:44 PM

Jul 2014
Wayy better than the last 8 episodes, TG can still be awesome after all
Mar 5, 2015 11:05 PM

Dec 2012
Dammit, Amon. How could you reject Akira's pink lips.

Mar 5, 2015 11:17 PM

Mar 2014
Z4k said:
Comic_Sans said:
Were we supposed to care about fat ape guy's and jackal girl's deaths and Taikazawa's ''I DUN WANA DAI'' testament?

None of them are dead.
Goddammit!
GosuGian said:
Dammit, Amon. How could you reject Akira's pink lips.
He's rooting for Taikazawa
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Mar 5, 2015 11:31 PM

Nov 2012
whoa another good episode, what happened?

though the scene with tsukiyama didn't really fit, in the manga it made sense at least since they interacted a lot more.
Mar 5, 2015 11:39 PM

Aug 2013
Lol, that roof top scene must've been retardedly bonkers for anime only watchers. A.O watchers: I honestly pity you at this point. Not only did that scene not make sense for you, but from a manga readers standpoint it was even worse.

Since they butchered Kaneki this season, he had none of the interactions with Shu that he was supposed to have, making that whole scene completely pointless and out of place.

Then they randomly decided to make Touka go to Anteiku in the anime instead of staying hidden. The fuck?

They didn't even have the Kanou lab arc with Rize in it...wasted a lot of good potential development there.

Does anyone even try to argue for Studio Pierrot anymore? They literally adapted everything else faithfully, even this episode with Akira x Amon, and the characters writing the wills, yet they totally shit on everything Kaneki related. I just cant fathom why they would think it's a good idea.

Still hoping and praying this gets a miracle reboot from like madhouse or ufotable someday.
Mar 6, 2015 12:11 AM

Jan 2013
Well, the manga has some good moments about life, and they managed to do that on the anime, plus, giving the emotional impact that was given on the original source. But it's a shame that the adaptations is somewhat rushed, so those moments don't have the proper impact that they should have. And it's kind of wasted.
Mar 6, 2015 1:21 AM

May 2013
Wow! That was great! I love the short, yet awesome fight scenes. Everyone is fighting to defend Anteiku. It's all thanks to Yoshimura's influence on them.
Those flashbacks were great. Now some addition to there background and reasoning. Touka going to join the fight. That I need to see. I can sense something tragic coming. Tsukiyama and Kaneki at it again.
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» This season was amazing, no cap.

GoatPieceLuffy - May 30

40 by BeastAj »»
Jun 6, 8:25 AM

Poll: » overhated?

FruitPunchBaka - May 22

34 by AriKitaruKatoka »»
May 28, 6:39 PM

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul √A Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 26, 2015

760 by lunathecatxx »»
May 11, 5:47 AM

» How do you feel

JoahAnime - Apr 18, 2022

38 by lunathecatxx »»
May 11, 5:39 AM

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul √A Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 5, 2015

402 by efectiviuli »»
Feb 18, 2:29 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.