Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Feb 7, 2015 3:04 AM

Sep 2012
Perfect example of a 'badly-written' character?

Sakura from Code:Breaker.

Badly-written characters are everywhere. By being badly-written it implies that their development is bad, their actions are illogical and bad, and overall whatever they do or are do not make sense. In a sum, that's what makes them 'badly-written'. I don't even know why some people try to separate the development of a character with a 'badly-written' idea. 'WRITTEN', hence any and all actions they take are accounted for, may it be development or anything else.
Feb 7, 2015 5:16 AM

Jun 2013
Flashoftheback said:
chuuzenjis said:

i'm sad because there are a lot of people i've encountered who even get mad at you for not really liking the anime. but the manga is just.. one of the best ones i have ever read and the anime isn't bad at all... it's just.. if you know the manga the anime has little to no impact on you anymore
Well, the anime made me interested on the manga so i was a bit thankful for that. I read the manga when it was only 3 episode aired because someone said the anime rushed like hell so that's why probably i didn't really pissed of the anime one.

I actually loved anime before I started reading manga, around episode 6 (Started reading day before episode 6 came out). That is when I started hating it, when I saw what was cut off and how rushed it was. Plus all the censoring. It didn't take long for me to realize that best parts of manga, Kaneki's transformation and his next fights will be a disaster. After that, I was just waiting for my doubts to be confirmed. I was so angry at how Kaneki's character suffered. Pierrot could have scored big time with this, Tokyo Ghoul had potential to be next Attack on Titan. Instead, they rushed 70 chapters into 12 episodes and butchered everything in the process.
Ad Astra Per Aspera
Feb 7, 2015 5:55 AM

Dec 2012
dante000000 said:
1.Sasuke Uchiha
First off his whole motive is artificial. He wants to punish a whole village and kill innocents because of a decision made by 3 people and a decision supported by his brother? This is no real motive for wanting to destroy a village and it just seems forced to make sasuke seem more evil. There is no logic in him wanting revenge on the whole village and he would be destroying what his brother died for. It would have been better if kishi killed him off.

That happens way later in his story, I'm not sure why you are treating like his central motivation, it's not.

There is plenty of logic into that. After hearing the truth, and finding out, he have been manipulated for the majority of his life, felt hated and anger towards the leaf village, the elders and Danzo that made him hate the most important person in his life, Itachi.

It was the jealously and hatred clouding his judgement that made him want to destroy the leaf village. In his mind they were all living in blissful ignorance over the truth of Itachi, he was jealous that they got to live a happy life, but he didn't. This is emphasized in a scene where him and Tobi, set in a bar, and they overhear some leaf village ninja badmouthing Itachi.

And he did change after that. After meeting Itachi in the war arc. He learned how to love again, and his development till the last chapter runs even deeper.

Sasuke is one of the best developed characters, I've seen in battle manga.

Obito Uchiha
Obito seems like a super emo character who wants to end the entire world just because his childhood crush died. Why didn't he tell kabuto to use the edo tensei on rin? That way he can talk to rin and let her decide if his path is the correct one....

No. As stated by himself his reason for wanting war wasn't because of Rin. It was his hatred for the ninja world, he blames it all on it. Heck, he doesn't even blame Kakashi, because at that point he became deluded enough in vision of an ideal world, that the current Kakashi doesn't exist to him. He doesn't want Rin as reanimated corpse, he wants the ideal Rin in his idea world, along with the ideal Kakashi and Minato.

After Rin's death, Madara urged Obito to go see the world for what it is. He kept witnessing the same horrible things over and over again, he realized what the world truly was. That's why he wants to create his own world. In a way Rin's death showed him reality, but the reason he wants to do Infinite Tsukyomi is because he now understands how bad reality is

People die especially in the ninja world he lives in. But Rin didn't just die and then he heard about it. She died in front of him by Kakashi. That image was so absurd and insane, that it made him snap, lose his mind and go berserk. I literally can't think of a worse thing to happen to Obito than that scene. Which gets emphasized by him saying ''I'm in Hell''. His resolve to getting better in the first part of the episode was founded by his desire to see Rin and Kakashi. To come back together to the team, to protect them and be with them, but all of that was crushed to pieces by the image of Rin being pierced by Kakashi. That was an extreme mental fuck to him that changed him to his core and changed the way he sees everything. His ideals, hopes, dreams were all crushed after what transpired. He is in a state of personal and mental hell, despair and absolute hopelessness. Without anything to direct this hate towards aside from the cruel unforgiving Shinboi world he lives in. He is broken.

Rin is only the initial spark. That single event drastically changing him is more than justified, since it wasn't just his love dying. The author is presenting him as another product of the Ninja world, to show how cruel it can be and how Naruto is ultimately is going to change it and carry the will of the past generations.

This because he always speaks about how the world is full of lies, betryal and hopelessness. That this worthless world is not worth living. He is deluded to an extreme degree, heartless, emotionless and unfazed to anything. He regards all those death and atrocious things he is responsible for as nothing. Since in his mind, all the suffering he caused, all the people who died or the people who is responsible for their death like Yahiko will live a happy life in his ideal world. They are not real to him, they will only be real to him in that world. Prime example of that would be Kakashi. Obito didn't try to get revenge and kill him when he has fainted. He told Madara when he asked them if he is protecting an old comrade that's not the real Kakashi, the real Kakashi will live in the world I create along with Rin.

A couple of quotes from Obito to reinforce my above points:

'I'm no one… I don't want to be anyone. All I care about is completing the Eye of the Moon Plan. This world is completely worthless...there is nothing left in it but misery'

'This world no longer needs heroes like hope or the future'

'It will be a new world… A world of truth, not lies'

'You've seen reality, you should be able to understand… No wish can become true in this world. That's why I'm pursuing the dream of infinite Tsukuyomi. I want to build a world where heroes don't have to make pitiful excuses in front of graves'

These aren't the words of someone that's sad about a girl not liking him or a crush dying. That sounds like somebody that's completely and utterly given up on the world and on humanity. A man defined by misanthropy and hatred of the world in general.

'Somewhere inside me? Take a good look, there's nothing inside of me anymore! I don't feel pain, I don't feel anything! You need to let that guilt go Kakashi. This wind hole wasn't your doing..it was made by this evil, cruel world.'

He is empty inside (Rin was the light of his live as a kid) and has a big gap in his heart.He is filling it with hatred for the world.

God, I love his quotes

.Sakura Haruno
She whines, cries, is weak willed and she seems to do nothing for any of her friends except pine over sasuke and bitch slap naruto. Useless character who always needs to be saved.

Meh.
She is not useless and she does not hit Naruto seriously. Treating slap stick comedy as characterization is beyond retarded.

She is strong willed, as seen in the Kazekage arc, even when she first met Sasuke after the timeskip. Just because she is weak when it comes to Sasuke, does not mean she is overall. She has plenty of relationships with other characters, be it Naruto, Ino, Sai, Kakashi, or Chiyo. As a member of Team 7, she proved her worth since the forest of death, till the last arc

''I dislike these characters, thus they are badly written''
No, that's not what badly written means.
tsudecimoFeb 7, 2015 2:37 PM
Feb 7, 2015 8:40 AM

Nov 2012
RedRoseFring said:
mayukachan said:
haruhi suzumiya

+1

What about her is badly written?
Feb 7, 2015 8:40 AM
Mar 2013
the best example of badly written characters is the whole cast of one piece
Feb 7, 2015 8:59 AM

Jan 2014
SuperRed said:
RedRoseFring said:

+1

Ask Mayuka. I don't even remember enough of the movie to make any statements.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Feb 7, 2015 10:37 AM

Feb 2013
SuperRed said:
RedRoseFring said:

+1

i think it's just a case of i dont like her => badly written =/
TachiiFeb 7, 2015 2:34 PM
Feb 7, 2015 10:37 AM

Mar 2012
Jotaro is a terrible character. He's not as good as Joseph. Nor as smart.
End Zionazism
Feb 7, 2015 12:05 PM
Jul 2018
romagia said:
SuperRed said:

i think it's just a case of i dont like her => badly written =/

Nah, it's a case of badly-written = badly-written

In fact, in this case as well as many other cases, I think it would be the fans of said character(s) who would think otherwise.
Feb 7, 2015 12:19 PM

Feb 2014
Dimitrije1606 said:
Flashoftheback said:
Well, the anime made me interested on the manga so i was a bit thankful for that. I read the manga when it was only 3 episode aired because someone said the anime rushed like hell so that's why probably i didn't really pissed of the anime one.

I actually loved anime before I started reading manga, around episode 6 (Started reading day before episode 6 came out). That is when I started hating it, when I saw what was cut off and how rushed it was. Plus all the censoring. It didn't take long for me to realize that best parts of manga, Kaneki's transformation and his next fights will be a disaster. After that, I was just waiting for my doubts to be confirmed. I was so angry at how Kaneki's character suffered. Pierrot could have scored big time with this, Tokyo Ghoul had potential to be next Attack on Titan. Instead, they rushed 70 chapters into 12 episodes and butchered everything in the process.
Yeah, disappointed, i don't know why they can decided to work on something with a promising prospect so badly still beyond me. Really a wasted opportunity for their studio, i guess. And now they are showing their regret by making an anime original story of TG. --
Feb 7, 2015 1:04 PM

Dec 2012
Even his reasons for Nami, are personal, and have nothing to do with being ''badly written'' only with her likablity.

Unlikable =/= Badly written.
Feb 7, 2015 1:08 PM

Nov 2012
you cant lose argument if you didnt argue at all.
i mean, you cant lose argument battle with naruto fans, because simply you dont argue with them.
endless discussion and debate, i've seen them in some forum, probably still going till now
IF YOU LIKE DEATH PARADE, GO WATCH BARTENDER!!!
my animesongs chord thread : here bro
Feb 7, 2015 1:41 PM

Oct 2010
Got the point, Mikasa. I guess you are right on that appreciation. Still, apples to oranges to me.

And thanks for mentioning this, tsud, I didn't see it:

dante000000 said:
4.Nami (One piece)
She is so full of herself considering she is the weakest link (in battle) in the whole straw hat crew. she is a big burden. the crew always has to save her. This girl is selfish and has attitude problems.

Well, that's an accurate portrayal of Nami for sure... if you have only watched a few random clips of the series. Mostly comedic ones because she plays very often the straight man type and your comment seems to stem only from this.

But for a fan that has been following the series, this is absurd in many levels. Nami is not full of herself and selfish. She is very empathic and proves in almost every arc she's in:

Feb 7, 2015 2:02 PM

Jun 2013
Funny thing is the OP actually asked your personal criteria what you consider a badly written character.
Feb 7, 2015 2:16 PM
Feb 2015
mmmmm ... alow me to ship in here :
i think that suskey was one of the most well developed characters in not just only naruto-verse but in MOST battle shounen.
Also the dynamic he had going with his brother was extremely crucial to the buildup of the story and their character ... but thats not the issue here.
i have seen that people pretty mush hate suskey, because he is the anti-naruto , but thats NOT an excuse to say he is badly written.
Every aspect of his personalty/actions have been either overshadowed or justified, and the main advantage he have on naruto - character wise - here is:

1)despite the fact that naruto went through several crucial character development points, he never displayed any sign of SIGNIFICANT "change of heart" or growth .... and maybe thats okay for the story because naruto is the ideal case in his universe, if he actually breaks or strays from his way that would ruin the point of the series, so thats justifiable.
2) suskey however, have been through SEVERAL character building points and reacted the same WAY ANY NORMAL HUMAN BEING WOULD.

lets not let our hate cloud our judgment of the characters ...
cheers mates!!!
Feb 7, 2015 2:34 PM

Jun 2008
Cleaned the thread.

Discuss about the content of what users say, not personally attack the users for what they said. This is apparently a hard concept to grasp for some people.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» Any other Retro Anime watchers only?

Iron_Leopard - 8 minutes ago

1 by Pages_Pages »»
38 seconds ago

» the race to WcDonald's ep 1 and the rest not added?

Berry-Vodka - Yesterday

8 by Kwanthemaster »»
2 minutes ago

» Is It Okay to Watch Anime All Day?

RedTea33 - 36 minutes ago

8 by Kenzolo-folk »»
2 minutes ago

» Is romance/slice of life the greatest anime genre? ( 1 2 )

Semester1 - May 28

74 by Suntanned_Duck2 »»
6 minutes ago

» Has anime ever had a depressing or motivating effect on you?

RobertBobert - 22 minutes ago

4 by RobertBobert »»
10 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.