Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Monogatari Series: First Season
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Aug 4, 2009 4:42 AM

May 2008
The only thing it was missing was a kiss after Senjougahara grabbed his hand at the end..
Aug 4, 2009 5:13 AM
Dec 2008
Heh, and here I was thinking about dropping the series. The ending of this episode was truly great and I'm glad I continued watching.

Sent with Mal Updater
Aug 4, 2009 5:29 AM
Jul 2018
I dont get why so many likes shaft. Their works consist of low budget animating style (like just showing pictures and adding hell of alot conversation to it, or going into chibi mode every 5 second (maria holic)).
Aug 4, 2009 5:50 AM

Aug 2009
"I love you."

I really didn't expect that. lol Great episode atleast it's not as boring as the previous episodes.
Aug 4, 2009 6:19 AM

Aug 2008
negative1111 said:
I dont get why so many likes shaft. Their works consist of low budget animating style (like just showing pictures and adding hell of alot conversation to it, or going into chibi mode every 5 second (maria holic)).
Oh yes because we really don't want to much dialogues in the anime. And you've seen two series by shaft right?
Ii tenki desu ne...
Aug 4, 2009 7:00 AM

May 2008
Sigh, as much as I want the loli-centric episode to be a successful and popular one, this episode is undoubtedly overrated.

It's a good episode, people, yes it is. But it's not much better than the last one.
I really can't relate to all this "omg I was considering dropping but then this episode came around!!!".

What? What's so much more fun about this episode in comparison to the last ones?
Do you NEED drama in order to have fun?

Old avatar and sig retired for now.
Aug 4, 2009 7:44 AM
Aug 2008
So, wait, I need a smart person to explain something to me.

In this episode we found out that normal people can't see the ghost.

However, (in Ep 4) the class rep came by and acted as if she could see and touch the ghost.

In fact, at 15:25 of Episode 4, class rep brought up the subject of the little girl, so she wasn't following clues in conversation.

What is class rep's special ability? Is she magical? Is she psychic? Does her hyper-intelligence allow her to sense ghosts?
Aug 4, 2009 7:47 AM
Aug 2008
The hero is such an incredibly Japanese male that he refuses to say anything emotional directly ...and yet it turns out his reply was incredibly romantic. I'm very impressed by the fact that he pays attention when a pretty girl talks, though. If I had that kind of focused attention and memory, I would be a lot better at relationships.
Aug 4, 2009 8:01 AM

Aug 2008
formosan said:

However, (in Ep 4) the class rep came by and acted as if she could see and touch the ghost.

In fact, at 15:25 of Episode 4, class rep brought up the subject of the little girl, so she wasn't following clues in conversation.

What is class rep's special ability? Is she magical? Is she psychic? Does her hyper-intelligence allow her to sense ghosts?
No, as Araragi said, she didn't want to go back home for some reason. Probably family issues.
Ii tenki desu ne...
Aug 4, 2009 10:06 AM

Aug 2008
@ukonkivi
My reason for liking this episode more than last week's was because we got startlingly early relationship development between Araragi and Senjougahara, and a bit of individual development on both of their parts. Then the drama was good and not contrived, so why wouldn't someone like this episode more than last week which was mostly set up for this and a rehash of a lot of the conversational elements in the first three?
Aug 4, 2009 3:50 PM
Aug 2008
Antanaru said:
formosan said:

No, as Araragi said, she didn't want to go back home for some reason. Probably family issues.

Oh, right, for that particular kind of snail/cow ghost, only the people who don't want to go home "encounter" it.

Now it all makes sense.

Domo arigato gozaimasu.
Aug 4, 2009 4:01 PM
Aug 2008
MaxCrazy7 said:
I don't know if it is because I am a female there is no way I would go out with Senjougahara. For every nice word she put out she said ten bad ones.

I actually dated a girl who was a little bit like that in real life.The difference is she never actually pulled a knife on anyone, or stapled people.

Senjougahara initially acted hostile (or tsun) and then very inviting (or dere) and then went back to hostile and then went back to inviting. I think there were about four cycles before she finally confessed. Now we have to see how her behavior develops.

I dated a girl who went from inviting to contemptuous to inviting to demanding to inviting to threatening to inviting to tantrum-throwing to inviting. Then she slept with someone else and I decided we were non-romantic friends after that.

There are worse ways for a woman to be. I got far more frustrated with a woman who went from inviting to silent and then stayed stuck on silent. I started dating her because she was intelligent - she worked as a scientist. It turned out she didn't like to think in her spare time, or to have thoughtful conversations, or to watch artsy/difficult movies. She liked to be very anti-intellectual in her spare time.
Aug 4, 2009 4:06 PM

Apr 2007
formosan said:
MaxCrazy7 said:
I don't know if it is because I am a female there is no way I would go out with Senjougahara. For every nice word she put out she said ten bad ones.

I actually dated a girl who was a little bit like that in real life.The difference is she never actually pulled a knife on anyone, or stapled people.

Senjougahara initially acted hostile (or tsun) and then very inviting (or dere) and then went back to hostile and then went back to inviting. I think there were about four cycles before she finally confessed. Now we have to see how her behavior develops.

I dated a girl who went from inviting to contemptuous to inviting to demanding to inviting to threatening to inviting to tantrum-throwing to inviting. .

Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 4, 2009 4:12 PM
Aug 4, 2009 4:20 PM
Aug 2008
Comedian said:

Wasn't "your fingers tasted good" & "and your breasts are quite respectable" strange?

"Your fingers tasted good" seems like a realistic, childish request for attention. Some girls hit on guys by starting a wrestling match that they plan to lose. Such a girl might very well bite a boy to show she likes him. Assuming the snail girl was supposed to be that kind of girl, "your fingers tasted good" was her way of hitting on him.

"Your breasts are quite respectable," would make sense if she was one of those early-blooming eighth-grade 14-year-olds. However, her voice acting seemed to indicate she was supposed to be younger than 14. But yeah, assume she's hormonally abnormal and he initially touched by accident, there's nothing sinister there.

What really seemed odd was that Araragi tried to make the situation better by intentionally groping her.
If she was supposed to be a fifth-grade 11-year-old, then that seems really abnormal to me. Even if Araragi was seeing her as a little sister whom he could wrestle in an uninhibited fashion, he wouldn't do that to his own sisters. So the breast-groping was a discordant note to me.

But apparently Araragi could only do such a thing in the heat of the moment, and he felt bad about it immediately afterward. This seems to suggest that such behavior would be unacceptable even in Japan.
Aug 5, 2009 2:28 AM

Jul 2008
it was a totally awesome ep. more senjogahara love<3
but why could hanegawa see mayoi... i think she will definetly plays a important role.

Aug 5, 2009 2:47 AM
Aug 2008
Kiseki said:
it was a totally awesome ep. more senjogahara love<3
but why could hanegawa see mayoi... i think she will definetly plays a important role.

Quoting previous:

... as Araragi said, [Hanegawa] didn't want to go back home for some reason. Probably family issues.
Aug 5, 2009 6:37 AM

Oct 2007
asdf1248 said:
"Omedetou gozaimasu" XD

Haha, that part <3

Loved this episode, Senjougahara is just so cool. :3
Aug 5, 2009 2:34 PM

Jul 2009
formosan said:
.....This seems to suggest that such behavior would be unacceptable even in Japan.
"even"...lol
Aug 6, 2009 12:03 AM
Jul 2009
vinesage said:
formosan said:
.....This seems to suggest that such behavior would be unacceptable even in Japan.
"even"...lol

Yeah LOL. I don't see where would it ever be acceptable :P
abandoned2014Aug 7, 2009 4:45 PM
Aug 7, 2009 6:38 AM

May 2008
Senjougahara made my day.
Aug 7, 2009 12:56 PM

Jan 2008
i never get tired of araragi's remarks about himself. amazing personalities each character has. definitely liked the conversation about their relationship too.
Aug 7, 2009 5:01 PM

Jul 2008
Ararararagi-san.
Aug 7, 2009 11:40 PM
Oct 2007
Bakemonogatari is, without a doubt, one of the best series currently running. I'd say it's the best show this season.

Senjougahara is completely awesome. Her conversations with Araragi are funny as hell, really.
The entire show is brilliant, actually. Such hilarious moments.
Aug 8, 2009 6:08 PM

Nov 2008
Wow, I thought they'd go the regular way and tease until the last episode (or never give a definite answer at all), but instead she confesses in episode 5? That's seriously unexpected.
I'm definitely gonna have to rearrange my favourites after this show.
Aug 9, 2009 4:14 AM

Jul 2009
Myu- said:
Antanaru said:
Myu- said:
Crap, just when I was about to drop the series
Are you insane?

I prefer the term "easily bored", but yeah, that could work too.

You have my sympathies.
In THAT case, i'm probably insane.
Aug 9, 2009 8:19 AM

Nov 2008
quikAsian3 said:
dam Senjougahara is very aggressive
She's incredible

She ranks TOP 5 TSUNDERE ALL TIME already.

I'm not sure if someone that confesses so soon really counts as tsundere.
Aug 9, 2009 10:49 AM

May 2008
Mammoth said:
quikAsian3 said:
dam Senjougahara is very aggressive
She's incredible

She ranks TOP 5 TSUNDERE ALL TIME already.

I'm not sure if someone that confesses so soon really counts as tsundere.

yea.. tsundere main characters tend to leave the anime hanging.

anyway, tons of possible vectors on this episode woot.
Aug 11, 2009 7:25 AM
Aug 2008
unlisted said:
vinesage said:
formosan said:
"even"...lol

Thailand?

Any area of Iraq controlled by Blackwater / Xe?

See the 6th August 2009 report for the Blackwater child prostitution story:
http://olbermann.org/ko/

Most areas in Africa?

Time Magazine reports:

South Africans received a horrifying measure of just how bad their country's rape crisis is with the release this week of a study in which more than a quarter of men admitted to having raped, and 46% of those said that they had raped more than once.

http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1906000,00.html

I could try to research estimated numbers of various sex crimes, but I would get depressed before I got an accurate picture.
formosanAug 11, 2009 5:51 PM
Aug 11, 2009 7:36 AM
Aug 2008
Vizard said:
Another good episode. 'Stole my first touch' was funny.

Her character page says that she's in fifth grade.

So figure she's ten or maybe eleven years old.

Short of severe hormonal imbalance, how could a ten-year-old have secondary sexual characteristics? Has the age of menarche declined that much?

Some girls notice breast growth as early as age 7 or 8, while others don’t start until age 13 or so. The timing is determined by your own biologic “clock” that tells your body to start producing high levels of female hormones. Breasts go through five “stages” of growth over the next five to six years, until their full maturity is reached by age 17 or 18. The final size of a girl’s breasts is determined by heredity and can range from very small (like bra size AA) to very full (such as size EE). Breast size varies greatly among women, and all sizes and shapes are normal and healthy.

http://www.teengrowth.com/index.cfm?action=info_article&ID_article=1320

Man, I went to grammar school with some late-bloomers. Granted, they tended to wear loose, layered clothing, so maybe they were more developed than I could have seen.

Okay, I guess that means that some fraction of the 10-year-old female population has had breasts all my life and I'm just finding out about it now. I've got to wonder how many other fun facts I don't know about. Maybe 30% of all boys keep a platypus in their attic and no one has bothered to tell me about it because it wasn't important.
Aug 12, 2009 9:48 AM
Jan 2009
formosan said:
I've got to wonder how many other fun facts I don't know about. Maybe 30% of all boys keep a platypus in their attic and no one has bothered to tell me about it because it wasn't important.

What, you *didn't* know about that platypus thing?
Aug 12, 2009 11:13 PM

Jan 2009
Excellent ep. This show is definitely exceeding my expectations. The characters, music, dialogue, all fantastic!

Aug 17, 2009 11:58 PM

Aug 2008
I agree
ColdBeans said:
Excellent ep. This show is definitely exceeding my expectations. The characters, music, dialogue, all fantastic!
Aug 18, 2009 3:59 PM
Feb 2009
Ah, a little confusing for me >.<
A lot of talking lol. But not so bad overall.

I was surprised when Hitagi said she wasn't able to see or hear Mayoi the whole time. O_O
Aug 19, 2009 6:11 AM

Feb 2009
Ararararagi~
Good ep. The more I watch the more I like it.
Oh and I just love the name Hachikuji. So cute.
Aug 19, 2009 11:24 PM

Dec 2008
aragi x sejougahara relationship looked matchable since the very first episode, but i didn't think she would confess so soon.

I'm also glad that they didn't completely get rid of hachikuji :}...
Aug 20, 2009 4:12 PM

Jul 2009
formosan said:
unlisted said:
vinesage said:
formosan said:
"even"...lol

Thailand?

Any area of Iraq controlled by Blackwater / Xe?

I could try to research estimated numbers of various sex crimes, but I would get depressed before I got an accurate picture.
The point wasnt whether or not it really happened anywhere but rather if it is actually acceptable at all. I dont think it is acceptable anywhere in the world.

and my quote was on the word even only, because it shows the rather subconscious stereotype opinion, (whether good or bad, right or wrong) that this kind of thing happens most frequently in japan, which is not true at all (according to your own post)
vinesageAug 20, 2009 4:15 PM
Aug 28, 2009 1:19 PM

Jan 2008
If you are looking for the definition of the word "bittersweet", all you have to do is watch this episode of Bakemonogatari. The bitter part is, for sure, Mayoi's arc coming to an end in a way similar to Fuko's arc overall in Clannad. What the sweet part is, I don't even have to tell, do I? Senjougahara definitely is the most unique character so far, as she's not the typical tsundere we see in almost every anime that features one, but she's, like I said, uniqueness at its finest.

This episode kinda topped the previous ones and was a great and touching end to this short arc. Great art, especially the live action elements and great music. The piano theme during the Araragi - Mayoi - Senjougahara confrontation at the park especially.

9/10
Aug 28, 2009 5:58 PM

May 2007
Omedeto gozaimassu.

I seriously got quiet when Senjougahara confessed, but after Mayoi saying "congratz" i simply busrted laughting.

I'm loving this anime.
Aug 30, 2009 1:59 AM

Jul 2009
Greatest confession i saw
Sep 4, 2009 11:50 PM
Aug 2009
... I got really high before watching this episode, and most of it actually made sense. Now I know how to watch this show!
Sep 5, 2009 4:07 AM

Jun 2008
Yes!!! that was a happy moment. This episode made up for the last two episodes and made them seem better now after the explanations.
Also happy to see that Senjougahara(what a name!) isn't an annoying insulting bitch.
I was so glad when she said she loved him. Did that idiot avoid telling her that he likes her also or is it just my idea?
And i really laughed when Mayoi congratulated him.

ironchefflip said:
I guess I'm the only one who thought harassing the snail about her breasts was funny.

No i found it funny also. The way he was saying it was absolutely hilarious.

In general this is a 5/5 episode for me.
MonadSep 5, 2009 4:14 AM
Sep 6, 2009 7:13 PM

Sep 2008
Pretty good episode. Confused me a bit, though, heh.
I also laughed when Mayoi congratulated him xD;;
Sep 14, 2009 5:48 AM

Jun 2009
Fantastic episode, love how everything was tied up and hitagi's smile is worth dying for :D
Araragi that lucky bastard... he deserves her though! Better start learning Jap to read the light novels.
Sep 25, 2009 12:28 AM

Dec 2007
That was just a stupid arc-ending.
This anime have the feeling of "well, let's do an anime with this style because people will like it and find it very original and let's create a main character like this because i'm sure people will love her this way".
So... artificial.
Sep 27, 2009 8:02 PM

Sep 2008
Better episode than the trainwrecks that were the previous 2 episodes. Mostly because something finally happened. Not much. But at least SOMETHING happened. Waiting for 2 episodes, sitting, doing nothing, isn't exactly redeemed with this.

4/5 for this one. Better than the 2/5 and 1/5 previous 2 episodes.

Although still incredibly overrated anime. Nice how they kept the loli alive though. So as to not upset the lolicons of course. This show wouldn't want to lose that chunk of it's audience considering it's already got such a small niche audience as it is.
Oct 1, 2009 3:11 AM

Apr 2009
nice episode x)
Oct 3, 2009 9:42 AM
Nov 2008
Defiance said:
Really good episode. It doesn't top episode 3 imo, but it is definitely a close second. I love the relationship that Araragi and Senjougahara have. Can only hope they keep these kind of interactions between the two as lively as they have.

Ah, man, finally somebody who completely agrees with me.

5layer said:
Better episode than the trainwrecks that were the previous 2 episodes. Mostly because something finally happened. Not much. But at least SOMETHING happened. Waiting for 2 episodes, sitting, doing nothing, isn't exactly redeemed with this.

Although still incredibly overrated anime. Nice how they kept the loli alive though. So as to not upset the lolicons of course. This show wouldn't want to lose that chunk of it's audience considering it's already got such a small niche audience as it is.

Gosh, you're harsh. :/

Well, here's my two cents on the arc. It started out beautifully, with the best episode of the series I've seen so far. The conversation between Araragi and Hitagi was interesting and well-done, and so was everything about episode 3.

Then I go off to episode four, which I kinda despised. Mayoi was, and still is, probably the worst addition to the cast, I really can't stand generic, elementary school characters like her. They pretty much tried to do episode 3 with Mayoi replacing Hitagi, and I think they failed horribly. Nothing really piked my interest, except the placing and setting of the episode. It was cool, but it didn't make up for the ep.

Next is episode 5. Again, the episode started not in my favor, more boring conversations with Mayoi. But then we finally get into something, a rising action of some sorts. I was not very surprised by the turn of events (it might even be able to classify her story as cliche), but that wasn't a problem. I'm glad they kept their focus on these spectral oddities, and they wrapped up the arc quite nicely. Nothing really melodramatic, it was quite sudden, actually. But then the image of the episode was ruined, when I realized that Mayoi would be reappearing in later episodes/

What the hell? Why would anyone think about destroying such a nice little ending like that? Wasn't the point of her ascending to imply her going on to a final rest, not coming back as a "wandering" spirit to annoy the shit out of the protagonist? My god, this makes me angry. There are things about this arc I really like, and things that I really hated. I just don't know what to think of it. And I also didn't know that this anime was a harem. I mean, it obviously is seeing how he attacts all these women, young and old. I dunno, I just need to see where this is going, maybe a little development on the plot. Or maybe this is purposeful, that it's supposed to be only a collection of different short stories, all revolving around this one guy.
Oct 7, 2009 10:11 AM

Jun 2008
Wow so Mayoi was a spirit all this time, never would have guessed. Things seem to be getting pretty pretty interesting between characters.
Oct 8, 2009 5:45 AM

Jul 2009
So the little girl was a spirit, interesting. That almost clears Koyomi's rough handling with her since in a way she isn't real :P

This was definitely one of the best episodes so far, plenty of story and feeling put into it, and dialogues that moved the plot forward.
Also they went light on the ridiculous animations too which in my book is a plus.

Perhaps there is hope for this show being really good after all.
Pages (8) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» How did the main character didn't get killed in the final episode?

emryuu - Yesterday

1 by Merve2Love »»
Yesterday, 2:59 PM

Poll: » Bakemonogatari Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Fabrice - Sep 25, 2009

689 by PRIVATEMENACE »»
May 25, 1:45 PM

» Watch Order 2024?

GoCrayzee - Jan 27

29 by salarx »»
May 5, 12:14 PM

Poll: » Bakemonogatari Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Fabrice - Jul 3, 2009

511 by Dragona_8002 »»
Apr 28, 11:14 AM

» Renai Circulation ost

DexterDrubo - Apr 19

6 by ichinose06 »»
Apr 27, 1:50 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.