Forum Settings
Forums

Do you think One Piece, Naruto, and Bleach contributed to the dumbing down of battle shonen?

New
Jul 2, 2:36 AM
Jul 2018
Before the Big 3 became a phenomenon in the mid 00s shonen seemed to be more mature. Just a honest observation.
removed-userJul 2, 3:12 AM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jul 2, 3:16 AM

Feb 2024
Psychku said:
Before One Piece, Naruto, and Bleach, battle shonen works used to be mature and tackling deeper themes

Could you share a few good examples of mature and deep battle shonen? I would be happy to check them.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Jul 2, 3:19 AM
Jul 2018
Reply to LoveYourSmile
Psychku said:
Before One Piece, Naruto, and Bleach, battle shonen works used to be mature and tackling deeper themes

Could you share a few good examples of mature and deep battle shonen? I would be happy to check them.
@LoveYourSmile Ofc, there are some excellent works in my favorites on my profile.
Jul 2, 3:24 AM

Sep 2016
Nah, Dragon Ball dumbed down battle shounen, so there wasn't any more the big 3 could have dumbed down.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Jul 2, 3:58 AM

May 2024
Battle shonen were always dumb. Literally the first adaptation of what could be called a "battle shonen" was Hokuto no Ken. You mean to say characters yelling out attacks wasn't already dumb enough? Shonen in general very rarely serve a purpose, this has always been the case even before the big 3. It's just brainless entertainment, it's not supposed to be deep or mature.
Jul 2, 4:17 AM

Jun 2016
Nope the genre was always meant for 13 year olds.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Jul 2, 4:34 AM

Apr 2011
Reply to removed-user
@LoveYourSmile Ofc, there are some excellent works in my favorites on my profile.
@Psychku

Yeah I fail to see your point, though. Is Yu Yu Hakusho your idea of a mature battle shonen?

Chainsaw Man debuted in a shonen magazine just a few years ago. Attack on Titan or Jujutsu Kaisen may also be seen as mature by some.
IKKIsamaJul 2, 4:46 AM
Jul 2, 4:40 AM
Jul 2018
Reply to IKKIsama
@Psychku

Yeah I fail to see your point, though. Is Yu Yu Hakusho your idea of a mature battle shonen?

Chainsaw Man debuted in a shonen magazine just a few years ago. Attack on Titan or Jujutsu Kaisen may also be seen as mature by some.
@IKKIsama

Yeah, that does not surprise me.
Yes, YuYu is excellent.

SimplyBrazen said:
It's just brainless entertainment, it's not supposed to be deep or mature.

Then explain why Hunter x Hunter exists?
removed-userJul 2, 4:44 AM
Jul 2, 4:52 AM

May 2024
Psychku said:

Hunter x Hunter does introduce several decent new concepts that the genre practically hadn't touched before, but it was mostly too surface level to be considered mature nor deep.

Meruem going "humans suck I wanna create my own system" is such a pathetic attempt at expanding upon a psychological subject that it's not even funny.
SimplyBrazenJul 2, 5:24 AM
Jul 2, 5:50 AM

Apr 2011
Reply to removed-user
@IKKIsama

Yeah, that does not surprise me.
Yes, YuYu is excellent.

SimplyBrazen said:
It's just brainless entertainment, it's not supposed to be deep or mature.

@Psychku I'm not judging your favorites btw. I'm just saying I don't find Yu Yu Hakusho or Hunter x Hunter more mature than some modern battle shonens like Chainsaw Man, Attack on Titan, Jujutsu Kaisen.
IKKIsamaJul 2, 5:55 AM
Jul 2, 6:19 AM

Jul 2021
the only dumb battle shounen is dbz. all other are pretty good.

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

Jul 2, 6:39 AM

Dec 2020
I would actually say things like Jujutsu Kaisen, Demon Slayer, or Black Clover are far more dumbed down than the big 3. If you want something more mature just watch more seinen.
Jul 2, 6:52 AM

Mar 2018
The thing that actually contributes to the dumbing down of battle shonen is the fact that shonen jump will axe any manga before it gets a chance to set anything substantive up so mangakas are forced to cut a shitload of corners writing the story.

"maturity" has absolutely nothing to do with it and is usually just a buzzword people misuse when talking about anime that they specifically don't vibe with
Sometimes you just want to hear anime girls squeak and squeal
Jul 2, 6:54 AM

Sep 2018
If I had to guess, a lot of editors probably forced manga to follow more story tropes to get published in order to replicate the success of the big 3 anime. Experimentation is likely not as permitted anymore which is unsurprising from a business standpoint.
Jul 2, 7:20 AM

May 2018
Dragon Ball had dumbed it down already before them.

Jul 2, 7:31 AM

Jan 2009
Reply to Nemo_Niemand
Dragon Ball had dumbed it down already before them.
@Nemo_Niemand exactly what i was gonna say and its the most popular battle shonen too
Jul 2, 7:51 AM

May 2018
Since Fist Of The North Star and Dragon Ball which are the forefather of the genre, aren't less dumber, looks like it's one of the main features.
Jul 2, 9:58 AM

Feb 2024
Another desperate cry for attention with a bait thread created by an alt.
Jul 2, 10:03 AM

Apr 2020
The big three, especially naruto is already very mature and deep. Nobody thinks that though because they can’t get passed the fact it’s a battle shounen.
Hunter x hunter is also pretty psychological and “deep.” Yall just haters
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 2, 10:12 AM
Jul 2018
Reply to JoeChip
Another desperate cry for attention with a bait thread created by an alt.
@JoeChip you seem to be projecting there, buddy.

Kenzolo-folk said:

Literally peak.
Jul 2, 10:17 AM

Apr 2020
Reply to SimplyBrazen
Battle shonen were always dumb. Literally the first adaptation of what could be called a "battle shonen" was Hokuto no Ken. You mean to say characters yelling out attacks wasn't already dumb enough? Shonen in general very rarely serve a purpose, this has always been the case even before the big 3. It's just brainless entertainment, it's not supposed to be deep or mature.
@SimplyBrazen

Bruh it’s not brainless. Where are people getting this from? Just because the mc is loud and the premise isn’t that complicated? There’s a lot of deep themes and messages introduced in shonen, it’s not always just battles and screaming 🤦‍♀️. Tired of people simple minded way at looking at sometbjng aimed for teens and tweens
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 2, 10:22 AM

Feb 2024
Reply to removed-user
@JoeChip you seem to be projecting there, buddy.

Kenzolo-folk said:

Literally peak.
@Psychku

I am not the one who made this thread, and other bait threads you made before, so try harder with your bait, my boy.
Jul 2, 11:05 AM

Feb 2024
@jhzs0029

If you had actually had a smart thing to say you'd have checked the OP's profile and his previous posts before posting this.
Jul 2, 11:07 AM

May 2024
Reply to Kenzolo-folk
@SimplyBrazen

Bruh it’s not brainless. Where are people getting this from? Just because the mc is loud and the premise isn’t that complicated? There’s a lot of deep themes and messages introduced in shonen, it’s not always just battles and screaming 🤦‍♀️. Tired of people simple minded way at looking at sometbjng aimed for teens and tweens
@Kenzolo-folk As I mentioned in the other reply, most psychological aspects of shonen in general are way too surface level. It usually expands on topics that are easily understood or relatable for the masses. There are exceptions obviously as in any other genre, but we're speaking generally here.
Jul 2, 11:11 AM

Apr 2020
Reply to SimplyBrazen
@Kenzolo-folk As I mentioned in the other reply, most psychological aspects of shonen in general are way too surface level. It usually expands on topics that are easily understood or relatable for the masses. There are exceptions obviously as in any other genre, but we're speaking generally here.
@SimplyBrazen

That doesn’t make it brainless or dumb tho. It’s really not that much different at all from themes in Vinland saga, devil man, and slam dunk. I’d argue Vinland has literally identical themes to shounen
Jul 2, 11:11 AM

Feb 2024
Reply to SimplyBrazen
@SimplyBrazen

Shounen is a demographic, not a genre to begin with.
Jul 2, 11:12 AM

Feb 2024
Reply to Kenzolo-folk
@SimplyBrazen

That doesn’t make it brainless or dumb tho. It’s really not that much different at all from themes in Vinland saga, devil man, and slam dunk. I’d argue Vinland has literally identical themes to shounen
@Kenzolo-folk

Vinland Saga started publishing in a shounen magazine, it later switched tıo a seinen one.
Jul 2, 11:13 AM

Apr 2020
Reply to JoeChip
@SimplyBrazen

@JoeChip

Shounen can count as a genre. That’s why the term “battle shounen” exists. It’s a genre, they don’t mean battle teenagers
Jul 2, 11:13 AM

Apr 2020
Reply to JoeChip
@Kenzolo-folk

Vinland Saga started publishing in a shounen magazine, it later switched tıo a seinen one.
@JoeChip

Yeah and I’m caught up with Vinland and my point still stands
Jul 2, 11:14 AM

May 2024
Reply to JoeChip
@SimplyBrazen

@JoeChip Everyone treats it as a genre and it pretty much is if you consider how similar 99% of shonen are.
Jul 2, 11:15 AM

May 2024
Reply to Kenzolo-folk
@SimplyBrazen

@Kenzolo-folk I've never come across a shonen I'd put above any of the anime you mentioned in terms of maturity and deep psychological aspects. Although that is entirely subjective so I'll agree to disagree here.
Jul 2, 11:15 AM

Feb 2024
Reply to SimplyBrazen
@JoeChip Everyone treats it as a genre and it pretty much is if you consider how similar 99% of shonen are.
@SimplyBrazen

You are overgeneralizing and you are objectively wrong.
Jul 2, 11:16 AM

May 2024
Reply to JoeChip
@SimplyBrazen

You are overgeneralizing and you are objectively wrong.
@JoeChip When you debate on sth with others you make compromises, this ain't a hard concept to grasp. I already know it's a demographic.
Jul 2, 11:18 AM

Feb 2024
@jhzs0029

I caN't wait for you to tell me those 10 different posts where I replied the same.
Jul 2, 11:22 AM

Feb 2024
Reply to Kenzolo-folk
@JoeChip

Shounen can count as a genre. That’s why the term “battle shounen” exists. It’s a genre, they don’t mean battle teenagers
@Kenzolo-folk

Way to make baseless facts as you please to prove yourself right. And battle shounen is not even a real genre, it's a made up term created by the Western anime fans to define a certain type of shounen.
Jul 2, 11:24 AM

Apr 2020
Reply to JoeChip
@Kenzolo-folk

Way to make baseless facts as you please to prove yourself right. And battle shounen is not even a real genre, it's a made up term created by the Western anime fans to define a certain type of shounen.
@JoeChip

Genre definition: a category of artistic composition, as in music or literature, characterized by similarities in form, style, or subject matter.

Shounen is very similar in this way. Still counts as a genre, look it up or something. “A made up term” idk how to tell you this, but all terms are made up 🤦‍♀️. Idk why it’s any less valid just because it’s western. And I’ve seen you use the term battle shounen before so don’t front

Lmfao you literally said “a certain type of shounen” you’re using the word like it’s a genre. This has to be satire
Jul 2, 12:04 PM

Apr 2021
No dragon ball was still dumb.

Btw it's 'shounen'. Which means teenage boys. These aren't meant to be mature anyways.
Jul 2, 12:04 PM
Apr 2024
Reply to Kenzolo-folk
@SimplyBrazen

@Kenzolo-folk all three of them are shonen so it kind of proves your point, evangelion's manga is also a shonen, but the question of if they are good or not is not what themes they have but how they treat them, I personally think people disrespect shonen only because it is shonen a lot of the times, but there is a difference between popular battle shonen and what I will consider the best anime, but it isn't because they are shonen but because the best anime are the best in my opinion, but it doesn't say most battle shonen isn't good
Jul 3, 12:46 AM

Jun 2024
It's just the nature of battle shounens. There is no dumbing down, it's already like that.
Jul 3, 1:08 AM

Oct 2013
Well, I see we have another person willing to stick around for peoples responses....To answer this question from this person who will never respond, I ask this. Have you seen nothing from Granddaddy Dragon Ball and it's continuations? Because that's already pretty dumb, and it was more or less the blueprint for the next set of popular action shounen. And yes, I'm sticking with that, because the action genre already implies "battle". "Battle shounen" is redundant.
Jul 3, 1:15 AM

Mar 2013
We all mention Dragon Ball, but are we seriously forgetting Kinnikuman, which debuted at the end of the 70s?

This predates the debut of the original Dragon Ball manga and Fist of the North Star manga.
Jul 3, 2:04 AM
May 2015
The thing is, smart means knowing there are limits and boundaries which should not be crossed or are just not worth the trouble crossing. It's an element of maturity.

Being stupid means you don't know/care about keeping those boundaries and can smash through them for empowerment.

But I think only a few anime/manga are able to recognize the limits and get around them or preserve them. I think Jojo's Bizarre Adventure is the most famous one.
Jul 3, 2:13 AM

Apr 2012
I swear I roll my eyes every time I hear arguments about maturity in shonen discussions.
Jul 3, 2:08 PM
Feb 2022
Battle shonen were never meant to be that mature as the target audience is teenage boys between 12-18. Now, obviously there are some mature themes explored to an extent in battle shonen, but in general it was never meant to be seen as a mature.
Jul 4, 7:28 AM

Jul 2013
I disagree with the OP. The battle shonen genre has always been dumbed down. So there is no way to dumb it down even more than it already is.
Jul 4, 7:32 AM
Jun 2016
I don't think it's fair to put down the Big 3 as the main animes responsible for shonen battle in general. What the Big 3 did is to popularize the shonen genre, and that is mostly it. As an anime studio, you make your battles as entertaining as you think they need to be for your main audience. And like some people said, the main audience is teenagers, and for them, this fighting style is good. But the Big 3 are not the issue here
Jul 4, 7:41 AM

Dec 2021
Hmmm, a topic by an OP who deleted their account? I wonder what type of-

Their profile 1 day before they made this post

Ah, got it. That tells me everything I need to know.
Opinions are opinions, and differing opinions can co-exist. 🙂 But I don't do debate, life's too short to spend time debating people.
Jul 4, 7:55 AM

Apr 2011
Reply to Daviljoe193
Hmmm, a topic by an OP who deleted their account? I wonder what type of-

Their profile 1 day before they made this post

Ah, got it. That tells me everything I need to know.
@Daviljoe193 Damn, they really got butthurt, lol.
Jul 4, 8:01 AM

Dec 2021
Reply to IKKIsama
@Daviljoe193 Damn, they really got butthurt, lol.
@IKKIsama I just like the idea that they padded out the account favorites with random shit specifically for this thread, and not because they actually liked them. The favorites on their account is completely vacant prior to them making this post, minus a single character. 🤣
Opinions are opinions, and differing opinions can co-exist. 🙂 But I don't do debate, life's too short to spend time debating people.
Jul 4, 8:11 AM

Feb 2016
Reply to IKKIsama
@Psychku

@IKKIsama
Thank you for saving a pic of his profile while it still existed.
その目だれの目?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» 🌸 AD Spring 2024 Best Girl Contest & Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Shizuna - Jul 1

290 by Vaturna »»
5 minutes ago

» "The highest quality anime."

9765 - Jun 25

28 by LoveYourSmile »»
11 minutes ago

» Would you simply let it go?

SgtBateMan - 3 hours ago

5 by nirererin »»
16 minutes ago

» Have you ever eaten bugs?

ZakuF_ - 3 hours ago

10 by ZakuF_ »»
19 minutes ago

» Why are magical girls so popular among adult men? ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Jun 2, 2022

71 by MasterTasuke »»
28 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.