Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 27, 5:28 AM

Nov 2011
Oh Yoka, getting herself into that position looked ominous at first this episode. Luckily, this is a lighthearted show so it still had that journey vibe.

Lol, somehow Zenjirou is back again in a silly way. This episode actually had a more surreal feeling than the usual weird gimmicks added in imo.
Stark700May 27, 5:39 AM
May 27, 5:33 AM
May 2023
Really excited to see how these last three episodes will play out
May 27, 5:46 AM

Apr 2016
Well, the look inside of a world that Youka have created surely was weirdly along the lines of what this show is ... you know, turning people into shrimp soup, lol.
May 27, 5:58 AM

Apr 2010
So Koka is being brainwashed so the ones behind the incident can keep doing whatever they are doing.
And it was a lot of weirdness ones again it was nice seeing Yoka's perspective tho but my guess is saving her is going to be hard.
Seeing the perspective of others was also nice.
May 27, 6:14 AM

Mar 2021
Finally we get to see Youka and what she is doing but unfortunately she looks like she is being controlled by the people who caused the world to distort. Can't wait to watch the remaining episodes this show has been one of the highlights of the season for me.
May 27, 6:26 AM
Apr 2024
Melhor de todos até agora
May 27, 7:54 AM

Nov 2023
Reply to SenshadouOtaku
Really excited to see how these last three episodes will play out
@SenshadouOtaku yeah, same for me too.
I need somebody who can love me at my worst
No, I'm not perfect, but I hope you see my worth
'Cause it's only you, nobody new, I put you first
And for you, girl, I swear I'll do the worst

If you stay forever, let me hold your hand
I can fill those places in your heart no else can
Let me show you love, oh, I don't pretend, yeah
I'll be right here, baby, you know I'll sink or swim
May 27, 8:21 AM

Mar 2023
Yoka's brain seems to be a little fried. I'm glad the gang brought the actual Pochi-san, excited to see how she'll react to seeing her dog.
May 27, 8:46 AM
Feb 2024
Well, looks like Yoka is alive. So they’re planning on making the 7G incident look like her fault? She became a “trigger” and it seems like they need a scapegoat to push the blame or glory on depending on the situation. As it stands, she’s nothing more than a brainwashed figurehead.
She definitely thinks something is up, she doesn’t trust Pontaro, so that’s promising.
May 27, 8:58 AM

May 2020
Being this show, Yoka getting her memories back from meeting her friends would be the most normal thing to happen. Though I don't think Mr. Suits would let that happen with such ease. Guy is a freak after all.. see him enjoying that soup.

No station journey this time though:(
May 27, 9:33 AM

May 2019
"The current Ikebukuro is deeply related to you, Yōka-sama."

I thought that would be the case, since all the stations along the line would be connected to the person who pressed the 7G button. And of course, the eccentric Pontaro doesn't want to take the blame for everything that's happened until now, so he's just gonna play along with this and avoid mentioning anything of Yōka's past. For one thing, at least we know why she's called the Witch of Ikebukuro now: her hair can turn people into a cup of egg custard, though I wouldn't want to know if that's edible, especially if Pontaro said that's not the first time he's ate it. Also, that whole contraption/operating table looks like the same thing Zenjiro-san got "dealt with" in, so that's a pretty bad omen in my book since we don't know what happened right after the 7G incident. Based on the flashbacks of the previous episodes, Yōka definitely seems to be the conserved and shy type, but she hasn't acted like this. Though, it's pretty clear who's running the show here, and Yōka is only being manipulated to be the figurehead of Ikebukuro.

Going back to the girls, looks like we get to see that weird man who gave them the map again. And speaking of the map, they’ve finally reached the realization of the drawings that we’ve noticed these past episodes; this was probably ignorance since the girls understandingly thought the map wouldn’t be reliable. Although I still think this guy’s a nut job, I’m kind of willing to see what other “nuggets of wisdom” he’ll dispense, especially since we now know what grim fate awaits based on the translation of Zenjiro-san’s incoherent rambling. But before all that, the girls will have to tread carefully since advanced warning has been given to Shiinamachi [SI 2], and something more sinister will probably waiting for them aside from kusamochi.

“What am I doing? Why am I in a place like this?”

#& Stations, $?.@ km left to Ikebukuro (since I don't know where we are along the line)
May 27, 10:27 AM

May 2019
So it appears that the layout of Ikebukuro is how it is envisioned from Yoka's mind although the mastermind behind all of this is most likely Pontaro. Regarding Pontaro, I vaguely remember briefly seeing him in the city with miniature people where he was injecting (or trying to) something in someone's arm, maybe that red-haired lady.

Anyways, Pontaro and the bald guy know the girls are coming but the girls have numbers, a dog, and are pretty resourceful so hopefully they'll be ok.
May 27, 10:44 AM

Apr 2021
What a contrast between good and bad storytelling. I had just dropped Tonari no Youkai-san because of the insufferable cheap tear-jerker writing, but the intro of this episode made my heart sink even though nothing at all was expressed directly.
May 27, 11:15 AM
Jan 2015
Okay now we can understand why 1st map wasn't fully shown in the travel - because world changes/shrinks, so some of stuff shown there no longer exists.
May 27, 11:38 AM

Jun 2019
off-season said:
What a contrast between good and bad storytelling. I had just dropped Tonari no Youkai-san because of the insufferable cheap tear-jerker writing, but the intro of this episode made my heart sink even though nothing at all was expressed directly.

Although it's definitely missing a few things and botched the execution of a few things for me to come close to saying I love it, I do like Tonari no Youkai-san and it's one of my preferred and higher ranked among all the current seasonals I'm watching just due to Slice of Life + interesting concept like varied youkai and some of the worldbuilding done and concepts toyed around with (I'm easy to please in that regard), but I was taken aback by the last episode. You're the first person I saw mention this so I had to comment. I didn't know initially when starting it that it was going to have much, if any, drama, but when it did I figured this is very much in the vein of some fantasy drama SoLs like Natsume Yuujinchou, Mushishi, Zettai Shounen, etc. But even still the heavy detour into melodrama recently surprised me. Thought it'd be much more balanced with iyashikei.
May 27, 11:52 AM

Feb 2019
Finally we get to see Yoka again! So she’s not actually an evil witch but being used as a scapegoat by those responsible.. hmm sounds about right. I didn’t think she’d become evil but then again with how mean Shizuku was to her I wouldn’t have blamed her.

No wonder people think she’s an evil witch if she can turn people into desert cups with her hair lmao. This show is so wacky

Good to finally get some lore about Ikebukuro and the world as well. With Ikebukuro expanding and about to pop, the clock’s ticking for the girls to come up with some sort of solution. Old hermit dude may seem crazy, but he’s got some nuggets of wisdom. The issue is with Yoka captors knowing Shizuku and the girls are on the way, what will they throw at them

Pontaro is classically evil but bald dude I think has gone soft on Yoka and will help she and the girls eventually. Hopefully they stick the ending in these last few eps
Marinate1016May 27, 12:45 PM
May 27, 2:09 PM

Nov 2013
Oh, interesting. So it turns out Yoka has been brainwashed to be the witch. The end is close.
May 27, 2:19 PM

Aug 2016

Why does it look like Kyubey eyes?
May 27, 3:52 PM
Jun 2020
It was cool to see a POV switch to Yoka. Even if she was brainwashed it is crazy that she is kind of accepting her life in the transformed city. Also I can see Pochi betraying his boss coming from a mile away
May 27, 4:23 PM

Sep 2023
So it seems the world exists within the boundaries of those 31 stations only because Yoka knows it that way and hasn't seen other places. Events like the drowning railway at the start of their journey are probably happening because Yoka is starting to forget things about her past.
Now I'm curious how Yoka ended up with the perception of people on all those stations like that. Or was it because of Pontaro who erased her memory?

LessThanAnimeFanMay 27, 4:27 PM
May 27, 5:04 PM

Sep 2020
Three (two and a half?) episodes set in Ikebukuro for the final stage of the anime? Sounds good to me.
May 27, 6:25 PM
Jul 2021
So Yoka has control over Ikebukuro but it appears her brain was fried and she’s lost her memories.

I wonder what exactly Pontaro and the company he represents is aiming for? In the beginning with the flashback he alluded to “not taking blame for this” so I can’t tell yet if he’s dodging responsibility for things. What’s his end goal? I’m sure it’ll be discovered soon; I don’t think you can tell from this episode…
May 27, 7:08 PM

Jul 2022
The 7G reset Yoka. He has no memories or anything that allows him to remember Agano. And what's worse, that bastard Pontaro doesn't let Yoka's mind progress on its own; They are basically manipulating her. I'm not sure for what purpose, although I saw someone propose a theory that seems pretty interesting.

Basically, he says that this anime is based on "The Place Promised in Our Early Days" and "ID: Invaded." The idea is that Yoka is dreaming and his mind distorts reality. They keep Yoka asleep so that she doesn't wake up and recover her memories. This suggests external manipulation, similar to what happens in "ID: Invaded." This can be seen when Pontaro interacts with “Pochi”; The world seems normal. Also, it would make sense since when Yoka traveled to Ikebukuro, she saw each season and it changed depending on how she perceived it: small, mocking people, work zombies, stones, familiar animals.

I found the theory interesting. It also explains why the other train lines don't exist: Yoka never ran on them, so they never changed. And if, as it turned out, the world returned to normal when Yoka wasn't looking, then perhaps the world outside the Agano-Ikebukuro line never changed. In a way, the world we see is separated from the real world, and that is why no one can leave and no one from outside has ever arrived.
May 27, 7:58 PM
May 2017
Another excellent episode! Three episodes to finish the story and the chance to end the series on a storytelling tour de force... or drive it into infamy.
Mene, mene, tekel, parsin
May 27, 8:50 PM

Jan 2011
This needs like a season 2 or OVA series so it doesn't get rush as while this episode was good I can smell a speedrun coming from a mile away.
I haven't updated in years but now I have changed that. I'll be free soon.
May 27, 10:23 PM
Jan 2020
wake up new map just dropped

apologies for the poor quality, we don't have the full image in one shot and i wanted to overlay the new map over the old one.

Old one for comparison:

I still am not clear on the distinction between the shapes. Maybe city is square?
May 28, 12:19 AM

May 2023
Really looking forward to what will be given in the next three episodes.
May 28, 2:19 AM

Sep 2020
Reply to EndenDragon
wake up new map just dropped

apologies for the poor quality, we don't have the full image in one shot and i wanted to overlay the new map over the old one.

Old one for comparison:

I still am not clear on the distinction between the shapes. Maybe city is square?
@EndenDragon
You can have this:
May 28, 3:56 AM
Sep 2019
Reply to NekOniiChan
"The current Ikebukuro is deeply related to you, Yōka-sama."

I thought that would be the case, since all the stations along the line would be connected to the person who pressed the 7G button. And of course, the eccentric Pontaro doesn't want to take the blame for everything that's happened until now, so he's just gonna play along with this and avoid mentioning anything of Yōka's past. For one thing, at least we know why she's called the Witch of Ikebukuro now: her hair can turn people into a cup of egg custard, though I wouldn't want to know if that's edible, especially if Pontaro said that's not the first time he's ate it. Also, that whole contraption/operating table looks like the same thing Zenjiro-san got "dealt with" in, so that's a pretty bad omen in my book since we don't know what happened right after the 7G incident. Based on the flashbacks of the previous episodes, Yōka definitely seems to be the conserved and shy type, but she hasn't acted like this. Though, it's pretty clear who's running the show here, and Yōka is only being manipulated to be the figurehead of Ikebukuro.

Going back to the girls, looks like we get to see that weird man who gave them the map again. And speaking of the map, they’ve finally reached the realization of the drawings that we’ve noticed these past episodes; this was probably ignorance since the girls understandingly thought the map wouldn’t be reliable. Although I still think this guy’s a nut job, I’m kind of willing to see what other “nuggets of wisdom” he’ll dispense, especially since we now know what grim fate awaits based on the translation of Zenjiro-san’s incoherent rambling. But before all that, the girls will have to tread carefully since advanced warning has been given to Shiinamachi [SI 2], and something more sinister will probably waiting for them aside from kusamochi.

“What am I doing? Why am I in a place like this?”

#& Stations, $?.@ km left to Ikebukuro (since I don't know where we are along the line)
@NekOniiChan 8 station left. Swan Hermit point out that they on between Nerima-Takanodai (Frog, SI-09) and Fujimidai (Kappa, SI-08).
May 28, 6:58 AM
Apr 2024
I am glad she isn't a witch
May 28, 7:12 AM

Aug 2016
Reply to Avvenirista
@EndenDragon
You can have this:
@Avvenirista how is organs are now square
May 28, 7:27 AM

Sep 2010
Narizor said:
Basically, he says that this anime is based on "The Place Promised in Our Early Days" and "ID: Invaded." The idea is that Yoka is dreaming and his mind distorts reality. They keep Yoka asleep so that she doesn't wake up and recover her memories. This suggests external manipulation, similar to what happens in "ID: Invaded." This can be seen when Pontaro interacts with “Pochi”; The world seems normal. Also, it would make sense since when Yoka traveled to Ikebukuro, she saw each season and it changed depending on how she perceived it: small, mocking people, work zombies, stones, familiar animals.

I found the theory interesting. It also explains why the other train lines don't exist: Yoka never ran on them, so they never changed. And if, as it turned out, the world returned to normal when Yoka wasn't looking, then perhaps the world outside the Agano-Ikebukuro line never changed. In a way, the world we see is separated from the real world, and that is why no one can leave and no one from outside has ever arrived.
Hm... My first impression was that Yoka is acting as if she is dreaming. Her memory is unreliable. She fails to recognise how the world is different. She lives a fake version of her daily routine, with class, meals, but some odd insertions like dining with Pontaro. Sometimes the world responds to her thoughts. Hopefully her friends can wake her up.
TakataMay 28, 2:41 PM
May 28, 7:31 AM

Sep 2010
Avvenirista said:
You can have this:
The zombies have moved, and upgraded from circle (no people that can be communicated with) to square (people can be communicated with - specifically, their twintailed queen, Kuroki).

I wonder if diamonds indicate something about the hostility level, or at least capability to fight. The town of small people has changed leadership, but might still have to remain wary of outsiders since they're small, and still retains the military base. The goats in the 3rd station are now correctly marked as hostile. The station from last episode has also downgraded from diamond (hostile?) to square (people that can be communicated with).
TakataMay 28, 7:41 AM
May 28, 8:36 AM
Sep 2021
We finally see the situation from Yoka's side, can she be saved by her friends in time.
May 28, 8:37 AM

Sep 2020
Reply to SilentNox
@Avvenirista how is organs are now square
@SilentNox
I guess it's because that station is safe to traverse and visit at the moment.
May 28, 10:45 AM

Aug 2020
Oh, Yoka at last! Her long hair suits her well. That power she showed was truly terrifying. I wonder where the little group is heading, since the drawing is not the best.

May 28, 9:23 PM
Mar 2015
Yoka chan is now the princess of Ikeboro and since she caused the world to change by pushing the 7G button she can turn it back
May 28, 9:55 PM

Feb 2016
How did that scientist lady get there so fast? lol

Also, fuck Youka, I don't care if she lost her memories, fuck her.
Sorry if my english is bad (っ˘▽˘)っ~~~
Btw, cry about it.

May 29, 12:32 AM
Nov 2020
Lots of lore-drop in this episode glad they made this episode focus on Yoka tbh it could've been better if the full episode is about Yoka and not just the 1st half.

That Poison Pontaro really is a creep and a manipulative bastard, too scared to admit the 7G network failed and so he experimented on Yoka's brain, wiped most of her memories and i think when more people rebel against Yoka he'll turn against her as well and dump all the blame on her instead of taking the blame himself.

Seeing how the bald guard talks with Pontaro, how he gets treated vs how he's treated by Yoka i think he'll eventually betray Pontaro and help out Yoka meet her friends so she could regains her memories...

Bald dude doesn't deserve all those verbal abuse from that scummy Pontaro.

Even Yoka shows hostile reaction when she heard Pontaro's voice outside her room.
May 29, 12:36 AM
Nov 2020
Reply to StallionXD
How did that scientist lady get there so fast? lol

Also, fuck Youka, I don't care if she lost her memories, fuck her.
@StallionXD They have Military jets remember?

Yoka's memories were wiped out (most of it if not all) via brain surgery like Zenjiro so the only thing she knows is the lies told to her by that scummy Pontaro. Since majority of her memories are gone, she also doesn't remember what Ikebukuro actually looks like.

Pontaro was manipulating Yoka, making her turn hostile against a resident of the city.
May 29, 12:44 AM
Nov 2020
Reply to Takata
Narizor said:

Hm... My first impression was that Yoka is acting as if she is dreaming. Her memory is unreliable. She fails to recognise how the world is different. She lives a fake version of her daily routine, with class, meals, but some odd insertions like dining with Pontaro. Sometimes the world responds to her thoughts. Hopefully her friends can wake her up.
@Takata She lost her memories through the surgery and i think 7G also corrupted her in some way as well. Her hair color and eye color aren't that bright back when she still had shorter hair.

She's feeling groggy because she couldn't remember a lot of things and her mind's constantly wander.

There's also nothing in Ikebukuro that's strong enough to joggle her memories. With Pontaro constantly meddle when she's trying to remember things it's going to prove difficult unless the girls get to her fast.

The time of explosion of Ikebukuro might also end up speeding up if her emotional state becomes even more unstable due to contradictory between the things told to her by Pontaro, what the civilians say, and what she herself thinks is right.
May 29, 12:46 AM
Nov 2020
Reply to KitsuFrost
Oh, Yoka at last! Her long hair suits her well. That power she showed was truly terrifying. I wonder where the little group is heading, since the drawing is not the best.
@KitsuFrost It's way too long and too plain for my taste tbh... If she put her hair into ponytail style i might actually like it.
May 29, 12:48 AM
Nov 2020
Reply to landofthekwt
Yoka chan is now the princess of Ikeboro and since she caused the world to change by pushing the 7G button she can turn it back
@landofthekwt She's already the Queen and as shown in this episode the world responds to her desires. But she's getting manipulated by that scum Pontaro so her emotional state is becoming more unstable.
May 29, 4:00 AM

Mar 2008
Poor Yoka being used by that weirdo, whatever his end game is.

I don't remember Yoka being so pretty looking before. Maybe because her lips are more visible I dont know.
May 29, 1:04 PM

Feb 2016
Reply to Shirowhite01
@StallionXD They have Military jets remember?

Yoka's memories were wiped out (most of it if not all) via brain surgery like Zenjiro so the only thing she knows is the lies told to her by that scummy Pontaro. Since majority of her memories are gone, she also doesn't remember what Ikebukuro actually looks like.

Pontaro was manipulating Yoka, making her turn hostile against a resident of the city.
@Shirowhite01 She had a little discussion with her friend and instead of talking things out or just ignoring the topic she decides to leave everything behind and run alone to the big city, now her memories were wiped out yet instead of trying to understand why people hates her, because she literally knows nothing, she just prefers to lose control and straight up kill them, also, she could kill Pontaro at any moment but instead she just listens to everything he says even tho she herself said she doesn't like that guy at all, he is not manipulating nor controlling her, he is just telling her bad shit and she decides to follow.

Fuck Youka.
Sorry if my english is bad (っ˘▽˘)っ~~~
Btw, cry about it.

May 29, 2:59 PM

Jul 2016
Bald dude is gonna betray Pontaro in such a way. Everything for the mentally unstable girl with long ass black hair and fried brains ♥

Also can't believe it took these girls around 20 stations to realize they had a map all this time. sigh*
May 30, 1:00 AM
Mar 2018
Not sure what to make of this. I feel like I'll be better able to form an opinion on this episode after I've seen the rest.
May 30, 3:26 AM

Dec 2008
They hopefully turn down the weirdness amplifier before the end of this show.
Ikebukuro is the worst place of all, surprised to see a few living people in the totally distorted place.
The one complaining was turned into soup, what a scary ability.

The people turned Yoka into a dumb person, she wanted to go to space before, how could you damn it!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 30, 8:52 PM
Aug 2022
Can't wait for 7G irl. No more taxes👏🍰🥁🕺
May 30, 9:34 PM
May 2024
An episode of almost entirely dialogue that kept me engaged throughout
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shuumatsu Train Doko e Iku? Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

KANLen09 - Jun 24

118 by badabass »»
Sep 1, 6:14 PM

Poll: » Shuumatsu Train Doko e Iku? Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 10

67 by badabass »»
Sep 1, 5:34 PM

Poll: » Shuumatsu Train Doko e Iku? Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 3

60 by badabass »»
Sep 1, 6:45 AM

Poll: » Shuumatsu Train Doko e Iku? Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 20

103 by badabass »»
Aug 14, 6:08 PM

Poll: » Shuumatsu Train Doko e Iku? Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 13

76 by badabass »»
Aug 14, 5:23 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.