Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 20, 2023 5:06 PM
Oct 2021
That’s it? It’s even less than what I thought would the last chapter be with the timeskip. I see magari doing well but is that it? I need more.
Aug 20, 2023 5:55 PM

Jul 2017
"Uh...the end...? Is that it?" is basically the only sentence running through my mind when reading the final chapter.

The graduation is nice and all with Magari being well and alive, though an amicable ending this is kinda lackluster, though I appreciate Makoto Ojiro not going the usual route of "MCs wedding and such".

Guess this only goes to show that the journey is as important as both the start and end of the destination.

Overall, a great typical school romance series...right until that ending literally amounted to nothing much.
Aug 20, 2023 6:46 PM
Oct 2021
KANLen09 said:
"Uh...the end...? Is that it?" is basically the only sentence running through my mind when reading the final chapter.

The graduation is nice and all with Magari being well and alive, though an amicable ending this is kinda lackluster, though I appreciate Makoto Ojiro not going the usual route of "MCs wedding and such".

Guess this only goes to show that the journey is as important as both the start and end of the destination.

Overall, a great typical school romance series...right until that ending literally amounted to nothing much.

I knew it was gonna be an open to interpretation kind of ending, but I was expecting more scenes and dialogues to make me emotional and say final goodbye to this series. Which I didn’t get and I don’t know how I feel. Obviously they aren’t married with different last names but are they romantically together now? Since the hospital scene when they resolved the conflict, I felt they became friends from lovers. We don’t know what career are they pursuing now. All in all, I feel quite disappointed.
Aug 20, 2023 7:21 PM

Jul 2021
A bit disappointed with the ending because I wanted more of what's happening in this 'adulthood' time-skip than just an open to interpretation kind of thing, almost felt like I'm reading the chapter of the usual than the latter, even though that's quite the author's thing with their previous works and this doesn't really change much. Hoping there could be extra chapters, even though I have no high hopes either, But nonetheless, it's been a journey.
"......If I told you that I was a real witch, would you believe it?"

Aug 20, 2023 7:42 PM
Oct 2021
where did you guys read it?
Aug 20, 2023 8:13 PM
Apr 2023
Finally, it's done <3

It seems Magari really beat the odds and even get to live longer than what was expected. The stars really were for them. It's really nice for them to spend their last high school night as members of the late-night club which they formed together going back to the first chapter/s. It really felt like a nice tie-up where everything is now back to where it all began.

BUT I AM CURIOUS WHY THEY ARE NOT SHOWING MAGARI's FACE.

I don't know if they are still together after all that time or how they moved forward in their lives.

Anyway, I am hoping there will be an epilogue chapter (i.e extra chapter). I want to see how they will be viewing the eclipse together as one gang and see how they grew up.

This has been a crazy ride sorta - it was short but I am kinda glad Ojiro Makoto did not try to over-complicate things more.
tekkenshu7Aug 20, 2023 8:17 PM
Aug 20, 2023 8:46 PM

Mar 2015
as usual, author always prefer left to interpretation open ending so it was expected. great journey tho. seeing those children developed and grow up give me tear in my eyes. 9/10.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Aug 20, 2023 8:50 PM

Oct 2017
And here it is, the ending. I'm happy we got to see them after timeskip. It's a nice ending to the series and suits the manga and it's how Ojiro Makoto does things. Really enjoyed reading this manga. Another great piece of work from Ojiro Makoto. Looking forward to their next work.
Aug 20, 2023 8:52 PM

Oct 2017
nushrathumaira said:
That’s it? It’s even less than what I thought would the last chapter be with the timeskip. I see magari doing well but is that it? I need more.
KANLen09 said:

CQLLIST said:
A bit disappointed with the ending because I wanted more of what's happening in this 'adulthood' time-skip than just an open to interpretation kind of thing, almost felt like I'm reading the chapter of the usual than the latter, even though that's quite the author's thing with their previous works and this doesn't really change much. Hoping there could be extra chapters, even though I have no high hopes either, But nonetheless, it's been a journey.
This is how Ojiro Makoto does things. I thought this sort of ending was obvious for this manga and it suits it too. Not always we need to be shown every little detail.
Aug 20, 2023 9:48 PM
Mar 2020
It ended with the same vibe as it began. I really hope there was more substantial epilogue but I like the open ended finale, leaves a lot more to the imagination. I'm glad Magari made it to the 12th year eclipse viewing reunion.
Aug 20, 2023 9:53 PM

Mar 2015
MegamiRem said:
nushrathumaira said:
KANLen09 said:

CQLLIST said:
This is how Ojiro Makoto does things. I thought this sort of ending was obvious for this manga and it suits it too. Not always we need to be shown every little detail.
the fact that we got at least 6 pages of time skip already more than all other ojiro series, lmao.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Aug 20, 2023 10:11 PM
Mar 2022
It ended and that too soon.
Has anybody noticed how masterfully author potrayed Nakami in this final chapter??? We wouldn't see Nakami (I mean explicitly before us,he was present all the time though) in any panel until the time skip and I think it is like this chapter is making us see Nakami's perspective.
Everyone's goodbye hit deep in heart. The story which started with the meeting of two insomniacs in a club room and ended with conveying dealing the challenges of life. Everything from start to end felt an amazing ride.
They promised to meet in 12 yrs on certain occasion and manga just ended before our main duo going for it. Really wished if the whole group was shown after timeskip TT. Anyways I will take it as narrative decision which definitely hits in another way.
Also ig Nono-Ukegawa and Anamizu- Haida was either happened off screen or just teased as it is.
Anyways great story wished I have gotten into before anime but it's definitely has been such a insightful and inspiring journey.
Also this single panel hits hard for some reason in a nostalgic way.

A 10/10 sol manga which I enjoyed to fullest. Wishing s2 if it happens and definitely someday in future when I will be picking this manga again to relive the journey I hope I remember how much special this manga is to me. What an amazing group of cast, loved it!!!
yameteKudasaiKunAug 20, 2023 10:31 PM
Aug 20, 2023 10:12 PM
Sep 2020
I did not like that ending honestly. I get that it’s open but I would’ve like a little bit more closure. Also weird how we didn’t see magari’s face.
Aug 20, 2023 10:54 PM
Jan 2018
Still wonder why the author either decided to end it suddenly or was forced to end it ?
Aug 20, 2023 11:48 PM

Jan 2015
I can’t be the only one who feels this way, can I? 100-ish good chapters and you ruin it in the last few? Rushed through Magari’s illness and wasted what could have been the most emotionally captivating part of this series… Immediately followed by a thoughtless, generic ending that gave me total whiplash. I got absolutely no closure for this series other than “Hey main girl is still alive!” What a disappointment. I love happy endings but this was just lazy.
Aug 21, 2023 12:10 AM
Jul 2023
Mattinator95 said:
Still wonder why the author either decided to end it suddenly or was forced to end it ?
I don't think she was forced to end. I think this last arc has been building up since chapter 102 with the time skip to their third year. 
Aug 21, 2023 1:43 AM

Apr 2016
I feel a bit of disappointment. Nonetheless, I'm happy they have a future together since Magari seems like she’s doing fine.
Aug 21, 2023 2:58 AM

Feb 2021
Kind of an unsatisfying ending. Showing adult Magari's face and everyone gathering to see the eclipse would've been much better imo.
But other people are saying that this is how Ojiro Makoto always does things, so I suppose it can't be helped.
Overall, a very sweet story with good characters. I also wish Ukegawa and Nono interacted more and got more spotlight, would've been a nice secondary ship.
9/10
Aug 21, 2023 3:23 AM

Jul 2017
Yeah the ending was kind of lackluster to be honest but it is good to see Magari and Nakamai have a future like that, a proper timeskip I think would have been better for the whole chapter. But hey, the manga overall was still incredible and definitely one of my favorites out there. The art, the emotions, the characters were all great and memorable and it gave me a rollercoaster of feelings reading this. The ending was my first and only real issue with the manga since I feel like it could have been better executed but besides that, I had none. I am seriously going to miss this, and hope Makoto Ojiro can return soon with another work that I'd most probably fall in love reading with.
Aug 21, 2023 3:31 AM
Aug 2014
Such a lackluster ending maybe even terrible.
Aug 21, 2023 3:56 AM
Nov 2014
Reposting my comment from the reddit thread:

Sorry to be a downer, went back to re-read this chapter multiple times and I think we got the bad ending. Some observations:

The vibe post time skip feels really strange:

• Nakami just looks straight up depressed. He's unkempt, emotionless and dressed in dark colors.
  • We never see Magari's face, as its completely obscured by the camera. This ties in with the solar eclipse, where the Sun gets completely obscured by the moon. Nakami looks at the camera (which represents the moon) and sees a silhouette of Magari (the moon princess) reflected in his pupils.
  • Also, for a series that is all about the night, every one gathering to look at the sky in the day is kinda weird.
  • "Has your camera always been this heavy?" and "nitpicky as usual" makes it sound as if they both haven't met for awhile.
  • They still call each other by their last names, instead of their first names.
  • In the first half of the chapter they are holding hands and walking forwards together. None of that happens in the second half.
  • "I guess she's not including me in 'everyone'". Why is it "me"? Shouldn't it be "us" if everyone else is waiting for both Magari and Nakami? Also, in that same panel, Magari is drawn as if she's standing quite far from Nakami.
  • Abit of a stretch, but the phone she's holding in her hand might be Nakami's. Her old phone had some cute stickers on it so I'd expect her new phone to have them too.
  • Remember that legend about the seven bridges? Where their love comes true if they both manage to cross 7 bridges in silence? Both Magari and Nakami cross the first 6 bridges in the first half of the chapter, but only cross the 7th bridge after the 12 year time skip.
  • Only two panels where their left hand can be fully seen, no wedding or engagement ring.

Next, the clothing:

• Nakami is dressed for cold weather while Magari is in shorts and a tank top.
  • Magari's dress sense and hair style are pretty much the same as 12 years ago.
  • Magari is also wearing the same hat that we see in chapter 1, when Nakami finds her sleeping in the totally-not-a-coffin school locker in the observatory.
  • Nakami is dressed from top to bottom in full dark colors (funeral dress code),in contrast to Magari who is in light colors, especially obvious in the final panel.

Lastly, the name of the chapter - Kuyo Star. I don't know if its the same word in the Japanese raws, but a google search gives me this.
供養 (kuyō)
Meaning: memorial service for the dead; holding a service

So, the solar eclipse viewing is a memorial for...
NaturesProphetAug 21, 2023 9:42 AM
Aug 21, 2023 4:18 AM
Jun 2023
something curious is that in no panel is the face of adult isaki seen
Aug 21, 2023 5:45 AM
Jan 2019
Pretty disappointing for such a great story overall...
Aug 21, 2023 5:53 AM
Jan 2009
I'm actually mad. Magari could open a fucking death flag store and they don't even have the balls to kill her off in the end. I mean, I love Magari, but I'm pretty sure the point of the story was counting down to Magari's eventual death and it never happens.
Aug 21, 2023 6:15 AM

May 2016
KnightTimaeus said:
I can’t be the only one who feels this way, can I? 100-ish good chapters and you ruin it in the last few? Rushed through Magari’s illness and wasted what could have been the most emotionally captivating part of this series… Immediately followed by a thoughtless, generic ending that gave me total whiplash. I got absolutely no closure for this series other than “Hey main girl is still alive!” What a disappointment. I love happy endings but this was just lazy.
I was going to say something similar to what you said, but since you said it so well, I'll just agree 100% to what you said...  :' )
"Genki is Life, Genki is Love"
Aug 21, 2023 8:57 AM

Mar 2016
What an underwhelming and unsatisfying way to end things, tbh. Not enough loose ends taken care of and the timeskip could've been done far, far better.
It was a fine manga overall, though, but not one I particularly find as memorable as I hoped.
Aug 21, 2023 9:06 AM
Mar 2023
Great AoL romance manga , liked it all
Aug 21, 2023 10:39 AM
Dec 2022
The ending was kinda disappointing
Aug 21, 2023 4:40 PM
Jan 2018
it was a great journey , I feel kind of empty now. the ending wasn't the best!
I was expecting more pages and details since is the last chapter, however I felt happy for the couple. 

Thanks to Makoto sensei
Aug 21, 2023 4:59 PM

Apr 2019
Man, it felt like yesterday when I started reading this. Can't believe it's over already. 

I really enjoyed reading this series. It was pretty unique to me in terms of its premiss, and it definitely didn't overstay its welcome. There wasn't really a dull point in the series to me. Whenever I saw that there was a new volume out, I'd make time to read it and would love every second of it. But now after reading these last few chapters, I'm left when that melancholy feeling you get when something draws to a close. I can never quite shake that feeling, no matter how many times I go through it. But with this one I'm feeling a bit more at ease then I usually do.

Apparently the author has plans for a new series, so I'm pretty excited to see what they make next. In the meantime, I guess it's time to watch the anime. 

Aug 22, 2023 8:23 AM
Jan 2018
After finding out the author likes to do vague/open endings I knew I shouldn’t have hoped for any closure.

Apparently it’s a happy ending … ok but the vagueness/ambiguity of not showing how magari looks like in the time skip could not give that impression and some even question if it’s real or not,

Especially considering there isn’t anything to confirm if they are together or not considering they still call each other by there last times still.
Aug 22, 2023 11:18 AM

Mar 2008
They're dead.
Both of them.

edit:

NaturesProphet said:

Lastly, the name of the chapter - Kuyo Star. I don't know if its the same word in the Japanese raws, but a google search gives me this.
供養 (kuyō)

Even without thinking you just get "that feel" that there's something more to it.
About Ganta appearing tired, maybe is just from work. That that's the only defense I'll make about not having something suspicious about it. Because I personally think this end confirms both, that Magari lived and died. Remember that they wish for 10 more years and the eclipse if 12 years after. The photos we saw him taking from her in this chapter is just like she asked him, photograph her and leave something behind. I think that Magari lived her full life fully and Ganta as besides her. There's not head to make it something sad, she live and she died, like she wanted.

[[ [TO MAKE THIS VERY CLEAR TO EVERYONE HERE AND OUT OF HERE.
That the series (and the mangaká in general as is her style) doesn't dramatize Magari's illness is a great part of the reason why this series is so special. This could have 20 more volumes, the mangaká would not dedicate many pages to showing Magari or any other character suffering because of her disease] ]]

Yes, about the name of the chapter, it's "九曜の星 (kuyou no hoshi)".
Don't know what this means, an internet search seems to think it's something related to hinduis:https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E4%B9%9D%E6%9B%9C
PaninaManinaAug 22, 2023 11:37 AM
Aug 22, 2023 12:59 PM
Jul 2017
What a fucking garbage ending and I'm frankly surprised there's so many people that like it. To explain it away by saying "oh this is how the author usually does it" doesn't excuse it.

Ambuigity for ambuigitys sake doesn't make a story good or smart. It's lazy and reeks of fear of commitment to a story.

Why do manga authors have this auful trend of just shitting out the most horrendous endings full of suffering? You could have a manga full of great moments with happiness and uplifting moments and then the last arc or chapter is just misery (looking at you too Senko).

The ending alone legit dropped my rating from a solid 8, 8.5 to a 4.
Aug 22, 2023 2:23 PM
Jan 2020
Those last couple pages....wow what a way to end the series.  I dropped my overall score by 2 points just from that ending.  Very lazy and disappointing
Aug 22, 2023 8:38 PM
Mar 2015
The story was one of the best romances I have ever read
landofthekwtAug 22, 2023 8:48 PM
Aug 23, 2023 6:50 AM
Jul 2017
Jotaro_003 said:
Such a beautiful happy ending. Maybe the most wholesome and realistic romance / coming of age I have ever seen. 

My dude over here talking about a completly different manga 
Aug 23, 2023 10:40 AM
Jan 2020
^ I thought the same exact thing
Aug 23, 2023 6:27 PM
Jul 2020
What an anti-climax. The story completely fell apart after what became the finale of the anime and it was so disappointing. It's like nakami became an entirely different person too. We're just going to gloss over graduation? Placement tests? College? Nakami's selfishness to the point where he wants to become a nurse since he feels bad for magari? Nearly abandoning magari because he was caught up in his own emotions which is entirely unlike him at every point until now?

Edit: this is apparently the mangaka's way of doing things, and just wow what a way to completely ruin a series that was actually doing so well for disability activism. That's what I mean by nakami completely changing. He went from completely understanding to becoming someone who pities disabled people for existing and having complications.

If you actually want a good SoL romance series that deals with disability and disability activism well, read A Sign of Affection instead.
Buick_Regal_GNXAug 23, 2023 6:33 PM
Aug 23, 2023 7:13 PM

Mar 2021
Even though I found this to be a "fine" manga at the beginning with nothing really special, this is a lazy way to end things here honestly.

Anyway, anime >> manga.
031011Aug 27, 2023 9:47 AM
Aug 24, 2023 1:55 PM

Oct 2009
NaturesProphet said:
Reposting my comment from the reddit thread:

Sorry to be a downer, went back to re-read this chapter multiple times and I think we got the bad ending. Some observations:

The vibe post time skip feels really strange:

• Nakami just looks straight up depressed. He's unkempt, emotionless and dressed in dark colors.
  • We never see Magari's face, as its completely obscured by the camera. This ties in with the solar eclipse, where the Sun gets completely obscured by the moon. Nakami looks at the camera (which represents the moon) and sees a silhouette of Magari (the moon princess) reflected in his pupils.
  • Also, for a series that is all about the night, every one gathering to look at the sky in the day is kinda weird.
  • "Has your camera always been this heavy?" and "nitpicky as usual" makes it sound as if they both haven't met for awhile.
  • They still call each other by their last names, instead of their first names.
  • In the first half of the chapter they are holding hands and walking forwards together. None of that happens in the second half.
  • "I guess she's not including me in 'everyone'". Why is it "me"? Shouldn't it be "us" if everyone else is waiting for both Magari and Nakami? Also, in that same panel, Magari is drawn as if she's standing quite far from Nakami.
  • Abit of a stretch, but the phone she's holding in her hand might be Nakami's. Her old phone had some cute stickers on it so I'd expect her new phone to have them too.
  • Remember that legend about the seven bridges? Where their love comes true if they both manage to cross 7 bridges in silence? Both Magari and Nakami cross the first 6 bridges in the first half of the chapter, but only cross the 7th bridge after the 12 year time skip.
  • Only two panels where their left hand can be fully seen, no wedding or engagement ring.

Next, the clothing:

• Nakami is dressed for cold weather while Magari is in shorts and a tank top.
  • Magari's dress sense and hair style are pretty much the same as 12 years ago.
  • Magari is also wearing the same hat that we see in chapter 1, when Nakami finds her sleeping in the totally-not-a-coffin school locker in the observatory.
  • Nakami is dressed from top to bottom in full dark colors (funeral dress code),in contrast to Magari who is in light colors, especially obvious in the final panel.

供養 (kuyō)

So, the solar eclipse viewing is a memorial for...
Yeah, felt the same way. The author generally leaves it to open interpretation, but her stories generally had a happy ending, but this one truly felt like it had a sad on with them meeting for Magari's funeral.
Sep 3, 2023 3:00 PM

Mar 2015
Welp, that was a rather lackluster ending to one of my favourite series in a while. I wonder if the author ran out of ideas maybe? The last few chapters felt rather rushed with no real direction.
Sep 22, 2023 1:02 AM
Sep 2023
Not my way to discuss a manga however my wife condition with possibles similar outcomes might have hit me harder than expected in this manga.

As previously stated by others, I think Magari is dead and for quite a long time.
All through the manga we see Nakami becoming the old him back thanks to Magari, being joyful, active and open up to others. I'm not going to re-explain what others did very well technically, just on a simple emotional state of mind, when you're with somebody for such a long time there're signs which can't be ignore, even more for the couple presented here.

We see them having important memories, holding hands, stares in each others eyes, sharing so many great stories, etc... for 125 chapters. And in the last one, there's nothing of it for a simple reason : she's not there. It's just Nakami memories of her, how she would be if she was there, but they can't hold hands, they can't stare at each others anymore - which explain a lot of things taken like this (not married, no kids, not holding hands, no kiss, no physical contact, etc...)
And why am I saying it's been a long time she's dead ? He can't recall her face anymore as she was because as time fly, we forgot things and his look and eyes show how depressed he is about her disappearance and how he is slowly forgetting her.
The promise and love remain as he will probably always love her (as he said) and cherised the time she was there but our brain is a bitch. At the end, only feelings will stay forever. I know, and it pains me today, that if my wife would disappear, slowly and steadly I will forgot the expression on her face, the details of her mouth, the sound of her voice even if I would love her all my life thanks to our kids and all the things we lived together.

I think I would be exactly like Nakima, depressed deep inside, forever. We're on the Earth to live and feel love, to find somebody who could understand our inner self. I probably would never be with someone again even if I would forgot a lot of things about her. However our love gave me everything I got today and in the future. She's the only love of my life and I'd like to go with her. However, I would live for our children. I can't begin to fathom how painful it would be for someone like Nakima to suddenly being alone with his sadness.

Nakima is just probably going to meet the others because it was a promise made with Magari and in a way, would be the end of the road to their story as it was their last promise between them. The only hope which remains at the end is that those friends will help him open up again, maybe, and continue with his life. However, the love of a life time can't be forgotten, whatever things you'll do in the future and that's probably the saddest part of the story.

As a conclusion though, I can't really understand why there's no mention of a possible heart transplant one way or another. She's young and healthy, she would be in the top list of organ transplant but well...It would not be such a great story :)

Sorry for the long explanation, just thought this manga deserves it.
Oct 5, 2023 4:30 PM

Dec 2019
It was such a thrill experiencing this from beginning to sorta pre-chapter 100, you can tell the author forced themselves to finish this as soon as possible god knows why.. :(

I think Nakami deserved better, not in the story but as whole character, the author honestly butchered Nakami. It's so lame making him appear so weak that he openly avoids Magari when she needs him the most, for what reason? Because he felt like a burden and believes Magari's fate is his fault due to his past. That just makes his charater appear like a flawed douchebag who seemingly rejects his girlfriend because of her condition, it's like a father avoiding newborn child because it's autistic. Terrible decision by the author if you ask me, especially after developing Nakami so well.

I'll probably get flamed for this - YLiA route would be a much better ending (aka Magari dies), it'd make the manga so impactful and unforgettable. This dull ending lacks depth, I'd rather end up with something memorable like the death of a character, I wonder if the author is too afraid of such route cause of Twitter backlash?

I still love this manga regardless of that ending, the art style is incredibly aesthetic and sometimes we need manga that doesn't force drama.

Random edit: Gave the first few arcs a re-read and it's still super fun with a quirky direction. I'm surprised this thread is so dead? Author really killed this manga with that dry ending
EuroqeanJan 17, 1:45 PM
Oct 8, 2023 6:21 PM
Jul 2018
It's a sad ending. Magari is dead and Nakami depressed, probably ready to jump of the bridge.
Can't really give a shit about this ending. These Asians just pulls their Korean dramas TV show just to make impact and they do it so often, it becomes unoriginal and boring.
Whelp, characters are dead and miserable, so shocking... not really.
It's not even impactful or miserable. Just boring and uninspired trash ending that so many Asians use to make drama. It's not 2010 anymore, it's boring.
Glad I skipped like half the manga, I've seen the death flags and did not like wasting my time on manga that kills off their characters just to be edgy and non-but-standard.
Why waste time to feel miserable reading manga when one look at the mirror does the trick.
removed-userOct 8, 2023 6:33 PM
Oct 13, 2023 6:09 PM

Aug 2017
Reply to Euroqean
It was such a thrill experiencing this from beginning to sorta pre-chapter 100, you can tell the author forced themselves to finish this as soon as possible god knows why.. :(

I think Nakami deserved better, not in the story but as whole character, the author honestly butchered Nakami. It's so lame making him appear so weak that he openly avoids Magari when she needs him the most, for what reason? Because he felt like a burden and believes Magari's fate is his fault due to his past. That just makes his charater appear like a flawed douchebag who seemingly rejects his girlfriend because of her condition, it's like a father avoiding newborn child because it's autistic. Terrible decision by the author if you ask me, especially after developing Nakami so well.

I'll probably get flamed for this - YLiA route would be a much better ending (aka Magari dies), it'd make the manga so impactful and unforgettable. This dull ending lacks depth, I'd rather end up with something memorable like the death of a character, I wonder if the author is too afraid of such route cause of Twitter backlash?

I still love this manga regardless of that ending, the art style is incredibly aesthetic and sometimes we need manga that doesn't force drama.

Random edit: Gave the first few arcs a re-read and it's still super fun with a quirky direction. I'm surprised this thread is so dead? Author really killed this manga with that dry ending
@Euroqean I'm quite conflicted on this . The "Magari is dead " route do seem *better* for the ending, otherwise it would be quite a pointless chapter, and many evidences point to that, including the name of the chapter, the symbology of the moon , and Magari being the lunar princess so potentially some tale of woodcutter influences with Kaguya returning to the moon and the woodcutter waiting, Nakami's kanji name is part of the word for "wood log" after all . The way her face is hidden also heavily hints at Nakami unable to imagine an older Magari potentially ?

At the same time, the " everyone is waiting for you" comment is quite odd - if the text was actually for *him* , then Nakami would comment something closer to " I guess she's not including you (as in Magari) in "everyone" ". If it was sent to him instead of Magari and the phone shown at the end was his cause magari is gone , then the comment doesn't make sense to me as it's quite normal to assume that "everyone is waiting for you to come" doesn't involve the person who received the message ? so it really makes sense only if the text was sent to Magari, and in stories with this kind of plot twist usually the imaginary person doesn't interact with the world beside with the person imagining them ...

I'm very conflicted and i really hope the extra chapter just announced will bring some clarity to this . Idm things having a sad ending, and idm open ended endings either , but this feels *really* inconclusive
Oct 17, 2023 3:47 PM

Apr 2019
Reply to Damascar
@Euroqean I'm quite conflicted on this . The "Magari is dead " route do seem *better* for the ending, otherwise it would be quite a pointless chapter, and many evidences point to that, including the name of the chapter, the symbology of the moon , and Magari being the lunar princess so potentially some tale of woodcutter influences with Kaguya returning to the moon and the woodcutter waiting, Nakami's kanji name is part of the word for "wood log" after all . The way her face is hidden also heavily hints at Nakami unable to imagine an older Magari potentially ?

At the same time, the " everyone is waiting for you" comment is quite odd - if the text was actually for *him* , then Nakami would comment something closer to " I guess she's not including you (as in Magari) in "everyone" ". If it was sent to him instead of Magari and the phone shown at the end was his cause magari is gone , then the comment doesn't make sense to me as it's quite normal to assume that "everyone is waiting for you to come" doesn't involve the person who received the message ? so it really makes sense only if the text was sent to Magari, and in stories with this kind of plot twist usually the imaginary person doesn't interact with the world beside with the person imagining them ...

I'm very conflicted and i really hope the extra chapter just announced will bring some clarity to this . Idm things having a sad ending, and idm open ended endings either , but this feels *really* inconclusive
@Damascar The skit about him not being included in "everyone" is just him being nitpicky on words, as magari says.
If "everyone" is waiting for him, then they are already "everyone" without him being there. The fact that he says "me" and not "us" actually confirms she's dead in my opinion. If she was alive, he would have also felt she got excluded from the "everyone" and would have used "us" instead.

To me, this just shows him not having dealt with her death, feeling the need to imagine she's the one getting the message instead of him, as if she's there (that would also explain his worn-out unshaved face).

I actually like this ending, it's poetic and gives way more than enough clues to guess what happened, without being the "now cry" kinda ending. It just gives an outlook on the death of a character that i feel we don't usually see
Pyth79Oct 17, 2023 3:51 PM
Nov 18, 2023 8:32 AM

Jun 2017
Many important bits remain unresolved ,the last few chapters took to shock drama ,uncharacteristic for the story and characters on how they were molded but overall it was a beautifull read.A trademark Ojiro manga keeping keeping the art simple,proportionate and charming.
Goodluck to the Astronomy club in times to come .
Dec 29, 2023 1:07 PM

May 2020
Yeah can't disagree with the fact that this ending feels sudden/isn't helping much with a proper closure/left a lot to interpret, but if that's the way someone writes their work then let it be lol.

It isn't really necessary to make sure someone does die if they have a heart disease or go through a life-threatening surgery, just for the sake of an emotional, gut wrenching ending, right? We've already been through them plenty.

Though yes, the ending could've been better in terms of confirming Nakami and Magari's current status or a more properly placed timeskip, but to say it'd have been more impactful had Magari died or anything even remotely along those lines just feels incorrect.

Though this series in general had one of the most beautiful depictions of high school life. For that alone, I won't stress much about this ending. 
Jan 4, 11:03 PM

Jun 2010
Oh yay.. Another series ending ruined with the much loved trope of the "open ending". Seriously, modern media in general seem to like this brain dead ruinous trope, but Japanese creators seem to just adore it! No! I read your story for 124 chapters, I DO NOT want to "imagine" how your finished fucking story ended thank you! It's your story, your universe, not my imagination. Fanficing the ending feels completely unofficial and totally unsatisfying!

There is nothing clever or "deep" about it. There is nothing profound or imaginative about it either! Getting people to think and talk about your series a little longer because they desire closure IS NOT true positive engagement or good story telling. It's lazy and a cop out in the best of cases. (where the writer is scared to give a defined ending, or are trying not to piss off people fanficing etc) Nor is there anything lazy, entitled or "cheap" ("spoon fed" charges etc) about expecting a long, non open and clearly defined story to have a clearly defined ending! (OC i'm not talking about cases where the state of things or the world are up in the air.. though as a writer, i think they should do their best to try to end a story conclusively. Just that leaving open clear details about things in an ending is unacceptable.. or should be! Especially little personal details about the main characters or relationship status etc.. that kind of thing is inexcusable!)

And before anyone counters with some nonsense about chance based on "realism" or something.. please don't! "Realism" in fiction and storytelling is nonsensical.. as is concepts like chance. These are written narratives/stories, they aren't subject to random chance or events outside of author knowledge and control. Every single thing and aspect in existence in them is purposeful and intended! Yes, a writer can choose to write a story in this way but that doesn't mean it is random or unknown, nor does it mean they are doing an actual good job writing.

As for the details. Well what can you say. Following every romance trope imaginable except the break up/time apart trope but that still kind of comes through in spirit since the author refuses to confirm anything related to relationship status. (Last minute out of nowhere force drama, check. Time skip with no relationship advancement, reset back to square one or nothing changed, check... etc etc.)

Chapter 5/10
Ending: 2/10
Series: 7/10 (~8/10 without ending, 4/10 with it)

I gave it such a high final rating in the end because of after story info confirmed from the author. But it should NEVER have to come to that.. But sadly so often does. (people so hell bent on forcing something epic that they leave out basic elements core to the work)

Remind me never to waste my time with the author's future or past works!

EDIT: lol at the edgelords complaining that they didn't kill off the main female character of a romance series for no reason... rollsfuckingeyes
James_xenoJan 4, 11:37 PM
Jan 6, 12:06 PM
Oct 2017
She's dead he looks aged and she looks similar to how she did during the beginning of the chapter. Plus the whole clothing thing so yeah the vibe is definitely that she dies.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia Chapter 124 Discussion

MegamiRem - Jul 30, 2023

15 by Tamasul »»
Apr 26, 11:51 AM

Poll: » Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia Chapter 123 Discussion

MegamiRem - Jul 18, 2023

10 by Tamasul »»
Apr 26, 11:45 AM

Poll: » Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia Chapter 117 Discussion

CQLLIST - May 28, 2023

2 by Tamasul »»
Apr 26, 11:18 AM

Poll: » Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia Chapter 113 Discussion

CQLLIST - May 28, 2023

4 by Tamasul »»
Apr 26, 11:07 AM

Poll: » Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia Chapter 106 Discussion

CQLLIST - Apr 8, 2023

4 by Tamasul »»
Apr 26, 10:26 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.