Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jul 6, 2021 10:42 PM

May 2019
I'm talking about Most Popular and Most Favorite rankings.

The real contest among shonen.

The list of last blockbuster shonen releases (new franchises) was:

2016 MHA (followed by lots of very popular non-shonen anime, like Re:Zero, Erased, Konosuba, all in top 50ies). '16 was a great year.

But then...
2017 - none TOP (Black Clover kinda floped on MAL, never reaching top 50)
2018 - none Shonen (most popular revelation that year was Evergarden lol)

and finally:
2019 Kimetsu no Yaiba. Today 15º most popular (YnN being runner-up, and Dr. Stone far away)
2020 Jujutsu Kaisen released in october and now is the 56º, almost in the 1st page (its still the only series from 2020 in the top 200s)

And both, Demon Slayer and Jujutsu are the the TOP 50 most Favorited.

These was trully the last hyped shonen from Anime Industry.

CSM is surely the next.

But will CSM be popular among international audience represented on MAL as these two?

Or maybe it is too "niche" and will disappoint like Black Clover?
Rob7Jul 6, 2021 10:45 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jul 6, 2021 10:50 PM

Mar 2021
Honestly, it really hard to tell. CSM is way too absurd that it’s not going to appeal to everyone where most shounens goes more of the safer route. But you look at the hype it’s getting it’s almost insane the PV got 7 mil in a week.
Jul 6, 2021 11:05 PM
Jun 2021
I think Chainsaw Man has the potential to get into top 50 popular animes of all time. It is more badass than Jujutsu Kaisen and the story is simple but tricky. And POWER, may be she will be the Waifu of the decade, you know what I mean right? 😜
Jul 6, 2021 11:06 PM

Mar 2020
Bruh, it will easily surpass both of them because there are WAAAAAAAAAAAY more CSM manga readers than JJK and KnY manga readers.
Even tho JJK got an anime it’s manga is still less popular than Chainsaw Man’s manga on this website, and CSM is just a few members short of KnY which is one of the best selling manga in the past few years.
(And CSM has a better score than both of them)

So yea, with one of the biggest manga reading communities, CSM has an insane fandom backing it up to help it’s anime popularity grow.
Tendo_GMJul 7, 2021 4:24 AM
Jul 6, 2021 11:08 PM

Apr 2021
JJk? Yes
KNY? Hard to tell
Jul 6, 2021 11:11 PM
Dec 2020
Rob7 said:
I'm talking about Most Popular and Most Favorite rankings.

The real contest among shonen.

The list of last blockbuster shonen releases (new franchises) was:

2016 MHA (followed by lots of very popular non-shonen anime, like Re:Zero, Erased, Konosuba, all in top 50ies). '16 was a great year.

But then...
2017 - none TOP (Black Clover kinda floped on MAL, never reaching top 50)
2018 - none Shonen (most popular revelation that year was Evergarden lol)

and finally:
2019 Kimetsu no Yaiba. Today 15º most popular (YnN being runner-up, and Dr. Stone far away)
2020 Jujutsu Kaisen released in october and now is the 56º, almost in the 1st page (its still the only series from 2020 in the top 200s)

And both, Demon Slayer and Jujutsu are the the TOP 50 most Favorited.

These was trully the last hyped shonen from Anime Industry.

CSM is surely the next.

But will CSM be popular among international audience represented on MAL as these two?

Or maybe it is too "niche" and will disappoint like Black Clover?
it will easily break the hype records of kny and jjk
Jul 6, 2021 11:15 PM

Jul 2020
It'll easily surpass the hype of both Kny and JJK combined.
I never saw any hype from both of these series UNTIL the anime adaptation but you can already see the hype for Chainsaw wayyyyy before the adaptation itself.It has the potential to even reach the levels of Aot popularity.

Scordolo's Recent Reviews
To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
Jul 6, 2021 11:40 PM
Feb 2021
Yeah most likely it will
Jul 6, 2021 11:58 PM

Jan 2021
Yes, CSM will surely the most hype anime in 2022

“The first requirement of being a hero isn’t being right. It’s being strong. That’s why the hero always wins.” – Koyomi Araragi

Jul 7, 2021 12:04 AM
Oct 2020
Scordolo said:
I never saw any hype from both of these series UNTIL the anime adaptation but you can already see the hype for Chainsaw wayyyyy before the adaptation itself.It has the potential to even reach the levels of Aot popularity.
Scordolo said:
what is kny and jjk?
Jul 7, 2021 12:09 AM
Jul 2018
IMO ,CSM has the potential to surpass JJK and KnY . I think CSM can tackle AOT and FMAB popularity too
Jul 7, 2021 12:33 AM

Mar 2019
Doubtful. Chainsaw man gets really dark around the middle. Then gets really fucked up at the end. Like the kind of fucked up that shocks you because the manga is stupidly silly at the beginning then it feels like you got run over by a car. I think it will find an audience and get buzz, but the dark tone will be off-putting for many.

I'm currently giving JJK a shot again after bailing out after episode 2~3 when it was airing, and it feels like a chore to keep watching. It has the same cringe unfunny comedy that KnY has. Just characters screaming and making stupid faces all the time to ruin the spooky atmosphere they're trying to pull off. I feel like JJK and KnY have more in common with each other than Chainsaw man has to do with either.
Jul 7, 2021 12:50 AM

Apr 2021
Jujutsu kaisen is so overrated. It should definitely be surpassed
I love Monogatari Series
Jul 7, 2021 1:08 AM
Mar 2021
it womt be as popular as any of the KnY or JJK but it will still be pretty popular. in my opinion CSM isnt as good as these 2 anime anyways
Jul 7, 2021 1:10 AM
Mar 2021
Anuvindh1 said:
Scordolo said:
Scordolo said:
what is kny and jjk?

kimetsu no yaiba(demon slayer) and jujutsu kaisen
Jul 7, 2021 1:32 AM
May 2019
Considering all the hype behind it I can see it being more popular than JJK although I highly doubt it’ll come close to Demon Slayer popularity just because that has a more generic, mainstream shonen appeal. I only say CSM more popular than JJK because it seems to receive more hype than JJK ever did pre-anime
Jul 7, 2021 1:34 AM

Jan 2009
it totally depends if the anime adaptation can deliver consistent high quality sakuga
Jul 7, 2021 1:36 AM

Oct 2020
It has potential, gonna be interesting to see how it all turns out
Jul 7, 2021 1:38 AM
May 2019
_username05 said:
it womt be as popular as any of the KnY or JJK but it will still be pretty popular. in my opinion CSM isnt as good as these 2 anime anyways
??????? Honestly surprised to see someone say this. Imo it’s CSM > JJK >>> Demon Slayer. JJK i can understand saying that’s better but Demon Slayer is so generic. JJK is too but it manages to still be great through constant action and great characters, which Demon Slayer doesn’t have. I guess I can understand not liking Chainsaw Man as much due to how dark and crazy it is but saying Demon Slayer is actually better than CSM bewilders me. Also idk if you just haven’t updated your list but it says you haven’t even read CSM so idk how you can judge
Jul 7, 2021 1:54 AM
Jul 2020
For sureeeee. There are a lot of csm manga readers, and the fanbase increased bc of that awesome trailer. The animation’s also fire so best believe its goin up there
Jul 7, 2021 2:02 AM
Mar 2021
Wayward9 said:
_username05 said:
??????? Honestly surprised to see someone say this. Imo it’s CSM > JJK >>> Demon Slayer. JJK i can understand saying that’s better but Demon Slayer is so generic. JJK is too but it manages to still be great through constant action and great characters, which Demon Slayer doesn’t have. I guess I can understand not liking Chainsaw Man as much due to how dark and crazy it is but saying Demon Slayer is actually better than CSM bewilders me. Also idk if you just haven’t updated your list but it says you haven’t even read CSM so idk how you can judge

i like it a lot but ion think its better than jjk. i have read it and finished it but ion update my manga list sorry.
Jul 7, 2021 2:33 AM

Oct 2014
Probably not Demon Slayer. I can see CSM passing JJK though because it actually has waifus for weebs to argue over.
Jul 7, 2021 2:57 AM
Jan 2021
JJK... Probably(both are really popular but CSM also rides the Popularity that JJK and MAPPA brought, because of how well the anime turned out and how it was positively received).
KnY... Considering that KnY is at the peak of its popularity, Probably not.
Jul 7, 2021 3:04 AM
Dec 2020
Wayward9 said:
generic, mainstream shonen appeal. I only say CSM more popular than JJK because it seems to receive more hype than JJK ever did pre-anime
"generic mainstream shonen appeal" is one of the dumbest sentences I've heard
Deathlydash
Jul 7, 2021 3:05 AM
Dec 2020
a_sya said:
csm had more fans before the anime came out. many manga readers are already looking forward to it, and it'll surely surpass the popularity of jjk or kny. but csm has a plot that contains a lot of triggers, i don't think csm is a safe place for the shonen genre.
shounen isn't a genre its a demographic
Deathlydash
Jul 7, 2021 3:39 AM
Jun 2009
Deathlydash said:
a_sya said:
csm had more fans before the anime came out. many manga readers are already looking forward to it, and it'll surely surpass the popularity of jjk or kny. but csm has a plot that contains a lot of triggers, i don't think csm is a safe place for the shonen genre.

Shounen is short for battle-shounen which is a genre.

You can easily tell when a series is a battle-shounen because there's a formula and tropes associated with it.
Jul 7, 2021 3:44 AM
Mar 2021
If MAPPA delivers like they did in the trailer, yes.
Jul 7, 2021 3:46 AM
Mar 2021
a_sya said:
wdym "triggers"? Eva became the most popular Anime of its time and have you seen how fucked up it is? I don't think anime fans shy away from weird stories, I think they embrace it.
Jul 7, 2021 3:53 AM
Sep 2020
If they won't do the whole manga in 1 anime serie, it won't imo, but even that, it could slightly touch the hype and won't have that radically much
Jul 7, 2021 3:53 AM
Dec 2020
coolxal said:
Deathlydash said:

You can easily tell when a series is a battle-shounen because there's a formula and tropes associated with it.
secret formula?????????????
Deathlydash
Jul 7, 2021 3:57 AM
Dec 2020
coolxal said:
Deathlydash said:

of course I can tell easily what a battle shonen is because it's shounen (young boys) battling
Deathlydash
Jul 7, 2021 4:20 AM
Dec 2020
ChireaI9 said:
a_sya said:
wdym "triggers"? Eva became the most popular Anime of its time and have you seen how fucked up it is? I don't think anime fans shy away from weird stories, I think they embrace it.

you should know what i mean 'triggers' if you've finish reading csm. some people watch anime because has high hype and become the talk of many people without knowing what the story is about.
Jul 7, 2021 4:31 AM

Mar 2020
poemofdevil said:
Doubtful. Chainsaw man gets really dark around the middle. Then gets really fucked up at the end. Like the kind of fucked up that shocks you because the manga is stupidly silly at the beginning then it feels like you got run over by a car. I think it will find an audience and get buzz, but the dark tone will be off-putting for many.

I'm currently giving JJK a shot again after bailing out after episode 2~3 when it was airing, and it feels like a chore to keep watching. It has the same cringe unfunny comedy that KnY has. Just characters screaming and making stupid faces all the time to ruin the spooky atmosphere they're trying to pull off. I feel like JJK and KnY have more in common with each other than Chainsaw man has to do with either.

It os indeed dark, but Death Note and Attack on Titan are the 2 most popular anime on this website.
But, I’m not saying that they are darker than CSM, AOT is full of gore, but it’s not even close to CSM and Death Note has some fucked up and dark themes which are still weaker than a lot of fucked up stuff in CSM, but those shows definitely benefited from being dark, the reason why they are so popular is also connected directly to it, people jumped on AOT cause they heard it was edgy and they liked that.

Chainsaw Man will definitely be in the same league popularity-wise cause people really liked that stuff in the past, CSM is just pushing that boundary a little further.
Jul 7, 2021 6:38 AM

May 2019
poemofdevil said:

Now you remembered me how this cringe comedy is ANNOYING.

I almost dropped KnY cause that fu* Doritos boy (while the first episodes were great)

I can't believe it is a point that invite international audience, seems more a typical japanese thing.

Thanks God Devil in CSM it is not the same as these other series. The cringiest character is only Denji, sometimes Power, but at least in the manga it does not seem to be so forced.

Now i think CSM can kick the balls of KnY. Thanks!
Jul 7, 2021 11:44 AM
Feb 2020
It will easily surpass jjk. The manga is already more popular then jjks and that’s after it’s massive boost from getting an anime. I’m not sure if it will pass kny overall but probably on this website.
Jul 7, 2021 11:46 AM

Jan 2020
I can see it. The amount of members it already ahs is insane considering it hasn't even aired yet

Jul 8, 2021 9:50 AM
May 2020
It will either be so different and trippy it’s will or so different and triply people will dislike it lol. Apparently it’s hard to follow according to comments I’ve read on the manga. For me it wasn’t. People like to downvote simply because of stuff that happens with characters. I feel like it will get as big as aot tbh tho. And people will start downvoting the anime just cause something in the anime wasn’t pleasing to them. That’s just how 13 year old anime only act. Honestly feel like it will get toxic in the fan base with like manga readers against anime only. But basically to sum it up I think it has the potential to meet aot but we only really have enough material for season 1. We don’t know how the rest of the manga will go. So can ur maintain its hype? It’s a good manga so for now I think o ceo it’s released it will meet the same amount of hype as jjk. It might be a bit to dark or whatever for some people.
Jul 8, 2021 11:45 AM
Jan 2019
Sik1234 said:
If they won't do the whole manga in 1 anime serie, it won't imo, but even that, it could slightly touch the hype and won't have that radically much
I agree. It has to adapt the entire part 1 to have a shot at KnY popularity. If they adapt like the first half of the manga and it lives up to the pv, I think it can pass jjk but no way in hell KnY.
Jul 8, 2021 12:16 PM

Aug 2019
I think it'll sit somewhere between JJK and KnY in popularity overall.

It'll be nowhere near as popular as KnY in Japan, but far more popular than it in the US/Europe etc.

xenosysJul 8, 2021 12:21 PM
Jul 8, 2021 5:25 PM
Feb 2021
Probably lol it’s very popular
Jul 8, 2021 5:33 PM

Aug 2020
yeah it will quite easily in the west that is.

I'm not sure if it'll be at the same popularity in japan as KnY though.

Has a 8.60 mean score
Akasaka > Other Mangakas

Jul 8, 2021 6:31 PM
Aug 2018
Currently, JJK manga is 26th in popularity, while KnY is 15th.

Chainsaw Man is 16th.

Yes, KnY is winning this far BUT that is taking into account that both JJK and KNY already have an anime, while CSM doesn't. And KnY is winning by a measly one spot.

So while I feel the anime won't be for everybody, it will most probably be more popular than those two, even if only by word of mouth.
Jul 8, 2021 6:42 PM

Feb 2016
There is a chance since CSM popularity is up there. I'm pretty sure that it will surpass JJK but I don't know about Demon Slayer.
Jul 8, 2021 6:52 PM
Jul 2018
Definitely will surpass JJK. Not sure for KnY though since it's really popular.
Jul 8, 2021 6:58 PM

May 2019
Demon Slayer = badass animation, the reason for the success and there's no secret.

Mappa is competent, but it is not Ufotable, far from that.

We must be happy that CSM certainly is going to have decent animation, but not spetacular.

Unless MAPPA hires the guy from WIT's AOT (and his lifeless slaves)
Jul 9, 2021 1:19 AM

Apr 2020
I believe it will get top 50 most popular anime a year after it airs, the manga for Chainsaw man nearly has more members than the demon slayer manga
Jul 9, 2021 8:40 AM

Apr 2018
Jjk? It's hard to tell, but i bet it wont surpass KnY.
Jul 9, 2021 8:58 AM

Apr 2021
Rob7 said:
Demon Slayer = badass animation, the reason for the success and there's no secret.

We must be happy that CSM certainly is going to have decent animation, but not spetacular.

My guy, did you sew the staff behind Chainsaw Man? It's one of the most packed ones in recent times. It's gonna have excellent animation for sure, unless Shueisha or someone else just decides to fuck it up by giving it a thight schedule, which is unlikely.
Jul 9, 2021 2:20 PM
May 2019
a_sya said:
Tf are triggers? No one gives a shit about that, people love action and fighting, which CSM has plenty of
Jul 9, 2021 2:22 PM
May 2019
Rob7 said:

Did you even watch JJK? Mappa has made spectacular animation before. Even if it may not be as good as Ufotable it's still some of the best animation in anime. Considering the trailer they showed and the staff I believe CSM will have even better animation than JJK did
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Chainsaw Man Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Oct 18, 2022

1144 by SoloQue »»
Yesterday, 10:48 PM

Poll: » Who else thinks Ryu Nakayama did an amazing job with Chainsaw Man S1?

GoatPieceLuffy - Jan 8

47 by SpiderMiles3523 »»
Jun 7, 4:14 PM

Poll: » Chainsaw Man Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Nov 29, 2022

1017 by RafaKojiro »»
Jun 6, 10:29 PM

Poll: » Chainsaw Man Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Dec 27, 2022

993 by Coinos »»
Jun 2, 9:16 PM

Poll: » Chainsaw Man Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Dec 20, 2022

389 by KediTime12 »»
Jun 2, 10:34 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.