Forum Settings
Forums

Name an anime that has a good plot and characters but bad animation (and name an anime that's the exact opposite of that if you can)

New
Mar 18, 2021 12:52 PM

Jul 2020
Name an anime that has a good plot and characters but bad animation (and name an anime that's the exact opposite of that if you can). For me, I'd say one anime that has a good plot and characters but bad animation is Aot s4 while an anime that's the exact opposite of that is Demon Slayer.

It's hard to win an argument against smart people, but impossible to win an argument against dumb ones.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Mar 18, 2021 12:53 PM

Apr 2017
How did I know this was gonna be about AoT.

Every post can be an Attack on Titan post if you try hard enough.
cunnysseur
Mar 18, 2021 12:56 PM

Mar 2020
Tasel said:
How did I know this was gonna be about AoT.
Every post can be an Attack on Titan post if you try hard enough.
Tasel has ascended and decoded the MAL's hivemind. What a legend.

I think I would say Ping Pong has awful animation.
An anime with awful plot and characters would be God of Highschool.

Apr 2020
how is the aot animation bad. i hate when bitches talk like they know lmao?-

but good animation and awful plot would be goh
devilman crybaby had a good story but i didnt like the animation that much unless it was about accentuating akiras hotness
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Jul 2020
Attack on Titan, Im sorry guys but this award goes to AOT

Mar 18, 2021 12:58 PM

Aug 2020
Probably Persona 5 animation, because the plot and characters are good (not as much as the games), but the animation is just horrible

Cannot think of a show for the other way around.
CorroutMar 18, 2021 1:04 PM

Has a 8.60 mean score
Akasaka > Other Mangakas

Mar 18, 2021 12:58 PM
Dec 2020
SmashBlack said:
Name an anime that has a good plot and characters but bad animation (and name an anime that's the exact opposite of that if you can). For me, I'd say one anime that has a good plot and characters but bad animation is Aot s4 while an anime that's the exact opposite of that is Demon Slayer.
name 10 aot characters that are good
Deathlydash
Mar 18, 2021 1:00 PM

Jul 2020
Kenzolo-folk said:

devilman crybaby had a good story but i didnt like the animation that much unless it was about accentuating akiras hotness

It's because there's too much CGI in it and the animation just felt REALLY underwhelming, like seriously just compare the actual declaration of war scene to this fan animation of it.

It's hard to win an argument against smart people, but impossible to win an argument against dumb ones.
Mar 18, 2021 1:01 PM
Dec 2019
One piece (pre-wano arc) 10/10 story with pretty bad animation.

People say Demon Slayer but honestly I thought the story and characters were pretty solid.
Mar 18, 2021 1:01 PM

Jun 2016
Legend of the galactic heroes is an ova that looks like a mid tier tv anime. Everything else is perfect though.
what a coincidence I was just talking about it on another thread Gundam unicorn has some great looking space combat even though the main robot is CG but the the whole thing feels like an unecessary addition to UC that was given way too much importance. Kinda like 0083 now that I think about it except for the part about the cg robot.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Mar 18, 2021 1:02 PM

Oct 2010
aldnoah zero for good animation - bad everything
I can't find a good example for the other category
Mar 18, 2021 1:02 PM

Mar 2020
God of High School for shit plot and good animation.

Not really sure about shit animation and good plot though I dont worry a ton about animation. I love good animation although I dont judge animation very harshly but I dont know if I have watched something with an amazing plot but bad animation. Maybe dated animation like stuff from the 90s. Dunno.
Mar 18, 2021 1:03 PM

Apr 2020
SmashBlack said:
Kenzolo-folk said:

It's because there's too much CGI in it and the animation just felt REALLY underwhelming, like seriously just compare the actual declaration of war scene to this fan animation of it.

The fan animation doesnt have nearly as much effects, motion, color or anything. when those things are added some other parts of it are died down or harder to achieve. jesus dude. and just because its underwhelming its bad? There are a WHOLE lot better examples of bad animation good story than this. Its just as your quote says, It's hard to win an argument against smart people, but impossible to win an argument against dumb ones.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 18, 2021 1:04 PM

Apr 2016
Bad animation but great story... Berserk 2016

The opposite is obvious.. Kimetsu no Yaiba

Mar 18, 2021 1:04 PM

Jan 2021
cells at work black is a good show, but the budget for it is quite shocking at times. deserved better to be honest.
"不幸だ!" - Kamijou Touma
Check out my anime list by clicking here (it's public now).

Mar 18, 2021 1:05 PM

Dec 2016
demon slayer not only had bad story and bad characters, it also had bad animation. seriously my eyes were bleeding 90% of the time while watching that
Mar 18, 2021 1:06 PM

Nov 2019
God of highschool has atrocious characters and plot but amazing animation dk about the opposite of this maybe ping pong ig or tatami galaxy 10/10 plot and characters but meh animation
Mar 18, 2021 1:07 PM

Jan 2008
I contest that AOT doesn't count as it DOESN'T have good characters
Mar 18, 2021 1:13 PM

Mar 2018
I know this man did not just say aot season 4 has bad animation. Bro you have not SEEN bad animation😭😭😭
Mar 18, 2021 1:15 PM

Oct 2019
bad plot and characters, but good animation - fire force, the god of high school
Mar 18, 2021 1:22 PM

Feb 2019
One piece for sure, if the whole one piece anime had wano like animation.
Mar 18, 2021 1:25 PM
Jan 2021
Good characters and plot, bad animation Berserk (2016)
Bad characters and plot, good animation SAO
William Hughes

Complex systems exhibit unexpected behaviour
Mar 18, 2021 1:26 PM
Oct 2020
Higurashi no naku koro ni has pretty bad animation but a good plot and characters. As for the opposite, I'd say Sword Art Online.
Mar 18, 2021 1:31 PM

May 2015
Ahiru no Sora pops up. For the opposite No Game No Life is the one I can think of.
Mar 18, 2021 1:45 PM
May 2019
IPFdomain said:
Go and watch Ex-arm or Seven deadly sins season 3 you will understand what bad animation actually means noob
Mar 18, 2021 1:47 PM
May 2019
For me Anime with Good plot and characters but bad animation is Nanatsu no taizai

And anime with bad plot and characters but good animation is God of high school
Mar 18, 2021 1:50 PM
Jul 2018
Kakegurui is one I can think of. Great animation but one-dimensional characters and shitty plot.
Mar 18, 2021 1:50 PM
Aug 2020
Legend Of The Galactic Heroes is the perfect example of this.

As for the opposite, Darling In The Franxx
Mar 18, 2021 1:53 PM

Nov 2017
Ajin: I've only watched one episode but it looked interesting. If it wasn't for the shitty animation I would've kept watching it
"he has it big as a cactus
but he won't let go of my head
and I puke on his cock bitch" - Boy by Fishball 
Mar 18, 2021 2:03 PM

Nov 2019
watch more anime if u think aot s4 is bad animation. it doesn't even have that many good characters in the first place
"Nobody is stronger than me, even when I go easy on them. Remember that" - Ayanokoji Kiyotaka
Mar 18, 2021 2:22 PM
Dec 2020
Bubbleberry22 said:
Higurashi no naku koro ni has pretty bad animation but a good plot and characters. As for the opposite, I'd say Sword Art Online.
higurashi has a good plot?????????
Deathlydash
Mar 18, 2021 6:01 PM
Dec 2017
Shinsekai yori

In the end, I find the overall story very intriguing. But most of the time the animation is laughably bad, which killed the viewing experience.
Mar 18, 2021 6:40 PM

Oct 2017
Kingdom S1

I just couldn't bother to watch that awful full CG. The story it covers though in the manga is great. If Kingdom actually got a proper anime adaption it would be way way more popular than it is in the Western fanbase. Popularity is pretty much determined over here by that first impression on the first season of an anime.

I don't know why people are bringing up LOTGH? It doesn't have bad animation it does it's job well enough on the animation side and the art style is very attractive fi anything. Sure the animation isn't amazing but it never took me out of the experience or broke my immersion.
Mar 18, 2021 6:49 PM

Jun 2020
Kenzolo-folk said:
SmashBlack said:

The fan animation doesnt have nearly as much effects, motion, color or anything. when those things are added some other parts of it are died down or harder to achieve. jesus dude. and just because its underwhelming its bad? There are a WHOLE lot better examples of bad animation good story than this. Its just as your quote says, It's hard to win an argument against smart people, but impossible to win an argument against dumb ones.
Fr. People just grasping to straws to hate on MAPPA and be a part of the cool kids club now. There wasn't even CGI in the declaration of war LMAO
Mar 18, 2021 6:51 PM

Sep 2020
It's GOD OF HIGHSCHOOL, trash animation but the plot is good as compared to animation.

◽◽◽

ᓚᘏᗢ

◽◽◽

Having lived through trauma and mind-fucking, I'm accustomed to it now.

Mar 18, 2021 8:06 PM
Mar 2018
SmashBlack said:

I say this to everyone that selected Attack on Titan Season 4 for the first title........... "What in the actual hell is wrong with you people?...", not only are there far worse examples for this, but the animation this season has been over the average, sure, not as good as previous seasons (wich was already like mission impossible for a estudio that's not as big as Wit), but nevertheless it looks really good, hell, I think they improved the movements of the characters while interacting, which was something lacking in the first three seasons (I swear, sometimes it felt like they didn't even blink), of course the cgi can be a bit off putting, but it's still better than your standard cgi anime, and also, the action scenes that don't include titans look gorgeous at many points of the story.
Mar 18, 2021 8:51 PM

Jan 2020
God of high has 1/10 everything except visuals.

Mar 18, 2021 9:03 PM

Sep 2019
Sayali567 said:
IPFdomain said:
Go and watch Ex-arm or Seven deadly sins season 3 you will understand what bad animation actually means noob
seven deadly sins is my favourite. It's unique.
"I think I wanted to attack something. Like betraying people or hurting people. And, well, it's not exactly nice, but hurting the readers too... In all honestly, I feel that's what I really wanted to do. For me, as a reader, when I think, "this manga will remain in my heart," it means, for example, it phenomenally hurt me: It's those kinds of experiences I'm after." - Pajime Hisayama (My favourite hurting author).
Mar 18, 2021 9:03 PM

Oct 2020
Haven't watched it yet, but there's 2 different opinions on Flowers of Evil. One absolutely hated it just because of it's animation, while the other one liked it for it's story and characterization

Demon Slayer i just followed the hype and willingly put it on my favs just because of my bias towards ufotable's work
Daxonzion-Mar 18, 2021 9:10 PM

"ꜱᴛʀᴇɴɢᴛʜ ᴏꜰ ʜᴇᴀʀᴛ, ᴡʜᴇɴ ᴜɴɪᴛᴇᴅ, ɪᴛ'ꜱ ʙᴀʀʀᴇᴅ ʙʏ ɴᴏ ᴅᴏᴏʀ..." -Aigis
Mar 18, 2021 9:04 PM

Dec 2020
Good character & good plot one piece pre wano

And opposite is demon slayer
Mar 18, 2021 9:08 PM

May 2016
Great narrative, weak visuals = Fantastic Children. The jank art style really is a barrier to one of the best narratives in all of anime.

Great visuals, weak narrative = Akira. Dazzling animation that entrances the mind, but any story would be banana-pants bonkers if you cut out 85% of the source material, and this movie is no exception.

This glorious signature image was created by @Mayumi!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Anime was always influenced by the West. This is not news.
Shoujo is the superior genre primarily aimed at young people.
Harem/isekai are lazy genres that refuse any meaningful innovation.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There will always be top-shelf anime.
You should be watching Carole & Tuesday."
Mar 18, 2021 11:00 PM

Feb 2021
Hmmmmm, probably fate stay night...
Mar 19, 2021 1:28 AM

Oct 2008
Bad animation as in visuals overall, or do you mean just movement.

Good plot and characters:

Avenger
Babylon
Beastras
D.N.Angel

Opposite:

Caligula
Chain Cronicle
Citrus
Dies Irae
Mar 19, 2021 2:30 AM

Jan 2017
Judevin said:

I think I would say Ping Pong has awful animation.

I genuinely don't understand how anyone could think this. Ping Pong's animation is extremely adept and fluid when it wants and needs to be. If you're referring to general aesthetic rather than animation specifically, I can definitely understand why one wouldn't like it; I'm still not quite sure I do myself, but I'm still somewhat surprised that someone would think it was not of quality.
Mar 19, 2021 2:47 AM

Dec 2020
genuinely cannot get how aot s4 has "bad animation" HOW is it bad?#@?$

but id say ex arm. i couldnt rly focus on the story bc of how shit the animation is but its pretty interesting from what i could understand. dont rly know any anime that has a shit story with great animation but closest to it would be umi no kikoeru i guess? the animation for that was quite pleasing to me but its definitely not great/amazing
Mar 19, 2021 2:58 AM

Jan 2021
I can already see The Way of the Househusband having a bad animation yet a good plot.

For the opposite, I'd say Your Name.
Sore wa chigau yo! - Junko Enoshima, probably
Mar 19, 2021 3:00 AM

Mar 2021
You must have very high standards to think AOT's animation was bad
Mar 19, 2021 3:04 AM
Jul 2018
Junko_Simp04 said:
I can already see The Way of the Househusband having a bad animation yet a good plot.

For the opposite, I'd say Your Name.

Damn, first time I have agreed with someone who is a Junko simp.
Mar 19, 2021 3:08 AM
Jul 2018
SmashBlack said:
Kenzolo-folk said:

Heya, I wasn't in anime community back when AoT s3 part2 came out but did people throw shit at how bad CGI was in this. Back when I was watching this scene my eyes were bleeding but i still haven't heard anybody complain about it. Why only throw shit at MAPPA, like why my dude?
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» 6+ Rating or Higher Anime that you don't remember

JaaShooUhh - 10 hours ago

4 by Mayahuel »»
17 minutes ago

» Anime fans ,how do u feel about slice of life anime???

Animystics - Yesterday

33 by ZXEAN »»
21 minutes ago

» Which is the correct anime consumption posture?

SgtBateMan - Yesterday

13 by Kwanthemaster »»
1 hour ago

» What Anime has the most genres & themes?

Zarutaku - Jun 11

10 by Zarutaku »»
1 hour ago

» Anime and Manga might be the worst medium ever at judging attractiveness.

isseixkoneko - Jun 13

18 by APolygons2 »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.