Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jan 24, 2018 7:24 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Not bad, this episode gave more time to showcase whiat Violet can do at her school.

Kinda curious to see how many of these side chiaracters the show will enter in this season though. The new characters seems to tie to their own stories so far. A bit of background storytelling too this week.

As usual, this anime still has really great visual content quality. The opening song also seems to fit for this show.
Stark700Jan 24, 2018 4:41 PM
Jan 24, 2018 7:36 AM

Mar 2013
Another lovely episode.

Really like how Kyoto Animation is fleshing out not only Violet's beginning but also the world itself these past 3 episodes. Really enjoyed the side character story and how it explored the life for veterans of the war outside of Violet herself since the novel didn't really cover that. The school for the auto memory dolls was a nice addition as well.

However i'm really struggling with the direction they are doing with this adaptation versus what they had in the novel. At this point it really is a re-imagining rather then a faithful adaptation which honestly I don't actually have a problem with that aspect! However the problem I have is the pacing...

The novels greatest strength and weakness is that it keeps everything concise and simple but at the detriment of losing out on world building. So Kyoto Animation changing the story is actually a welcome addition, but i'm worried it would be at the cost of losing out on some spectacular episodic stories later down the line because they were fleshing out Violet's beginnings. The pacing is super slow, like it feels like a 2-cour pacing, but at the same time since its a 1-cour everything feels rushed by the end and we don't get a satisfying narrative conclusion.

Overall I'll have to wait and see how the adaptation turns out, i'm enjoying the changes but worried about the direction TLDR.

Also super bare bone and boring opening. Really did not expect such an empty opening. I expected a slow paced opening after listening to the song previously but wow really bare bone...
SalmonSandwichJan 24, 2018 8:05 AM
Jan 24, 2018 7:41 AM
May 2015
Really annoyed that every episode has been very predictable so far. And Violet passing just after one decently written letter is kinda bull...
Jan 24, 2018 7:50 AM

Mar 2013
Eanraig said:
Really annoyed that every episode has been very predictable so far. And Violet passing just after one decently written letter is kinda bull...

Agreed... I felt she needed to write couple of letters more. (Or at least imply that she did.) Violet needs to fail and struggle more to sort of understand herself and others more. The writing has had faults that I started noticing. Episode 2 where they didn't proofread the letter leading to the conflict and this episode with Violet passing after one good letter (which felt like a fluke even though it did come from her struggling to squeeze out genuine understanding and empathy.)
SalmonSandwichJan 24, 2018 7:54 AM
Jan 24, 2018 7:59 AM

Apr 2010
Well another nice episode.
I enjoyed watching it and it looks like Violet is making friends even if she might not realise it herself things are heading in the right direction for her.
She still has issues with adapting though.
Jan 24, 2018 8:38 AM

Apr 2016
So far, maybe aside from the first episode, the anime has gone its own way. I expected this to some extent, but with the number of episodes left this is not the time to leave the crucial plot behind. I know that this is to fill what the novel didn't concentrate on (Violet's path towards becoming an Auto-memories doll) but now they just don't have enough episodes to cover all of her adventures. Well they may be able to get rid of one which didn't look that important to me, but still, if in the next episode they don't start with her adventure it's going to get pretty worrying. Her adventures are the main part of the story and probably the most important.

I really wanted to see Violet's first adventure...

Also Luculia was a good character compared to Erica and Iris imo.

Nice OP btw.
Major_GilbertJan 25, 2018 11:46 AM

"Le vent se lève!... Il faut tenter de vivre!"
- Paul Valéry, Le Cimetière Marin -

Jan 24, 2018 8:41 AM

Jul 2017
I have to say that I'm more interested in Cattleya, Hodgins and Benedict than I am Violet right now.
Jan 24, 2018 8:42 AM

Apr 2016
GreenEmu said:
I have to say that I'm more interested in Cattleya, Hodgins and Benedict than I am Violet right now.

Hey at least include Gilbert too... I guess I'm the only one... But I do agree with you. I honestly thought the anime would be better than the novel at giving more development to Benedict, Hodgins and Cattleya. But so far it looks like I have been mistaken.
Major_GilbertJan 24, 2018 9:18 AM

Jan 24, 2018 8:58 AM

Sep 2016
GreenEmu said:
that's because baioretto-chan is very overly done emotionless robotic girl with extreme autism. Even Inaho (aldnoah) isn't this robotic and autistic. Violet is just too soul-less to be interesting main character. Other than that I think it's pretty ok episode, better than last week for sure.
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Jan 24, 2018 9:01 AM
May 2015
Major_Gilbert said:
Do they really think introducing even more side characters will make the anime better?

Makes sense in the context of the anime. Apparently the novel begins with Violet already developed and working with clients, but the anime has her starting from 0. Seeing her working with clients before getting any sort of training wouldn't make sense. Having said this I'm not really linking these first 3 episodes much. Violet's characterization is pretty bland and all over the place.
Jan 24, 2018 9:13 AM

Apr 2016
Eanraig said:
Major_Gilbert said:
Do they really think introducing even more side characters will make the anime better?

Makes sense in the context of the anime. Apparently the novel begins with Violet already developed and working with clients, but the anime has her starting from 0. Seeing her working with clients before getting any sort of training wouldn't make sense. Having said this I'm not really linking these first 3 episodes much. Violet's characterization is pretty bland and all over the place.

The fact that the novel didn't start from Violet not knowing anything was one of the best parts of the novel for me. Slowly, in her adventures, we get small clues about her past. Then we get a few chapters of what exactly happened, and how she became a doll. The novel then goes back to the present with more adventures.

I know that with the anime it may not be a good start but I would've preferred them to follow the order of the chapters...

At least, if they had started with Violet already known as a very famous Auto Memories Doll in the amanuensis business, and not as emotionless as she was, there wouldn't be as much criticism about her robot-like character.

Then again I guess that's just my opinion.

Eanraig said:

Agreed. They seem to be rushing it....

Major_GilbertJan 24, 2018 9:26 AM

Jan 24, 2018 9:29 AM
May 2015
Major_Gilbert said:
Eanraig said:

The fact that the novel didn't start from Violet not knowing anything was one of the best parts of the novel for me. Slowly, in her adventures, we get small clues about her past. Then we get a few chapters of what exactly happened, and how she became a doll. The novel then goes back to the present with more adventures.

I know that with the anime it may not be a good start but I would've preferred them to follow the order of the chapters...

At least, if they had started with Violet already known as a very famous Auto Memories Doll in the amanuensis business, and not as emotionless as she was, there wouldn't be as much criticism about her robot-like character.

Then again I guess that's just my opinion.

An opinion a lot of people hold as well from what I've seen. Apparently the director of this show said that the novel structure wouldn't work in the anime for some reason, though that's exactly how he structured Kyokai no Kanata, I don't see why he couldn't do the same with Violet.
Jan 24, 2018 10:10 AM

May 2015
decent ep
next week they should really start getting on the chapters in the ln
or probably they would just not include some chapters and add more fillers to show violets growth before she travels or worse they only animated the chapters that were shown on the pvs
atleast lucuria looks cute this ep

Jan 24, 2018 10:12 AM
Oct 2017
The school isn't some authority tbw and the decision on passing or not is obviously subjective. It's just a gesture showing Violet is on the right path. This episode is actually enjoyable with a proper expectation.
Jan 24, 2018 10:29 AM

Aug 2013
More fillers...

Is the novel really short and they don't have enough materials or is Kyoani going for an anime original?
Jan 24, 2018 10:41 AM

Apr 2015
This is actually getting annoying now.
Nothing is being done. I just hope the next episode is her adventure. I am losing some hope. Plus that op, expected more symbolisms but instead we got something really basic. Animation is nice but nothing that stands out.
Jan 24, 2018 10:55 AM

Apr 2012
Lol, never thought that they would add a redhead Reina, to create a little bit of yuri :D. But if seriously, I enjoyed this episode, especially thanks to the development of Violet and her interaction with new characters.
Jan 24, 2018 11:02 AM
May 2015
Toshiya0 said:
More fillers...

Is the novel really short and they don't have enough materials or is Kyoani going for an anime original?

As far as I know they only adapted the first volume, most light novel adaptations do roughly 3 or 4 volumes, Kyoani light novels just don't have that many that's usually why you see a lot of anime original episodes/characters in their shows. Hibike S1(not theirs, but only adapted the first volume) was like 50% original, compare it to Maidragon, a manga not owned by them and with lots of material to adapt, was 20%~ original or so. Hibike S2 was an adaptation of volume's 2 and 3 and only 10%~ was original content.

I've also been hearing that they're planning to make movies out of this series, so that's probably why they're making so many 'filler' episodes.
Jan 24, 2018 11:21 AM
Aug 2015
Eanraig said:
Toshiya0 said:
More fillers...

As far as I know they only adapted the first volume, most light novel adaptations do roughly 3 or 4 volumes, Kyoani light novels just don't have that many that's usually why you see a lot of anime original episodes/characters in their shows. Hibike S1(not theirs, but only adapted the first volume) was like 50% original, compare it to Maidragon, a manga not owned by them and with lots of material to adapt, was 20%~ original or so. Hibike S2 was an adaptation of volume's 2 and 3 and only 10%~ was original content.

I've also been hearing that they're planning to make movies out of this series, so that's probably why they're making so many 'filler' episodes.

The novel is short according to me but it has 13 chapters which could have been easily adapted this way: 1 episode = 1 chapter (eventually two episodes for the last chapter of the second volume).
They do have material, it's just that the director s****. Kyoukai no Kanata was one of the worst Kyo Ani anime I've seen and I was afraid for Violet Evergarden anime adaptation when I saw his name. Really, what's wrong with this kind of directors who decide to change things while the source material is good???

You mean that the anime will only adapt the first volume, then there'll be a new season for the second volume?
Maybe they'll do a one-cour anime, then a recap movie and eventually a sequel if they didn't cover the whole novel in the anime... as for Kyoukai no Kanata. What a waste while the anime could have been really good considering the novel...
Jan 24, 2018 11:50 AM

Apr 2016
Toshiya0 said:
More fillers...

The novel has enough material for a 14 episode series. It has 13 chapters. But KyoAni have already made a mess out of adapting the novel by wasting 2 episodes on the new characters which weren't even in the novel. Now there's only 11 episodes left, and 12 chapters to adapt. If they don't start the next episode with her adventures it will be very worrying.

Kirie-san said:
Eanraig said:

The novel is short according to me but it has 13 chapters which could have been easily adapted this way: 1 episode = 1 chapter (eventually two episodes for the last chapter of the second volume).
They do have material, it's just that the director s****. Kyoukai no Kanata was one of the worst Kyo Ani anime I've seen and I was afraid for Violet Evergarden anime adaptation when I saw his name. Really, what's wrong with this kind of directors who decide to change things while the source material is good???

You mean that the anime will only adapt the first volume, then there'll be a new season for the second volume?
Maybe they'll do a one-cour anime, then a recap movie and eventually a sequel if they didn't cover the whole novel in the anime... as for Kyoukai no Kanata. What a waste while the anime could have been really good considering the novel...

Man, I couldn't agree more there.

Major_GilbertJan 24, 2018 12:00 PM

Jan 24, 2018 11:59 AM
May 2015
Kirie-san said:
Eanraig said:

I don't know if the novel is good or not, based on what I've read online, I'm not too exited to see
, but starting the anime like this was a mistake in my opinion, Violet is just not very relatable and she brings the show down for me.
Jan 24, 2018 12:09 PM

Aug 2013
Eanraig said:
Toshiya0 said:
More fillers...

I doubt they have enough LN materials for a movie, so if they do make a movie it will be original. ugh
Jan 24, 2018 1:22 PM
Jul 2009
Eanraig said:

Passing doesn't mean that she became an expert. It's just the first step as they clearly said.
Jan 24, 2018 1:30 PM
Jul 2009
Major_Gilbert said:

None of those flashbacks explains how she managed to become a competent Mermory Doll though. The novel only covers until she starts working with Hodgins. The anime is trying to explain how she goes from someone who couldn't write a proper letter to save her life to an actually competent letter writer. It's a process the novel totally skipped over, and I think that's one of the novel's biggest flaws.

Major_Gilbert said:

I'm pretty sure they're gonna start with that next episode.
Jan 24, 2018 1:36 PM

Apr 2016
1idd0kun said:
Major_Gilbert said:

None of those flashbacks explains how she managed to become a competent Mermory Doll though. The novel only covers until she starts working with Hodgins. The anime is trying to explain how she goes from someone who couldn't write a proper letter to save her life to an actually competent letter writer. It's a process the novel totally skipped over, and I think that's one of the novel's biggest flaws.

Major_Gilbert said:

I'm pretty sure they're gonna start with that next episode.

I agree that the novel did skip her development in becoming an Auto-Memories Doll, but at the same time by covering that they're making it unlikely for all of her adventures to be adapted. I know that some may not be as important as others, but they are quite important in the buildup towards her realization of certain emotions.

Jan 24, 2018 2:44 PM
Jul 2009
RobertBobert said:
Lol, never thought that they would add a redhead Reina, to create a little bit of yuri :D. But if seriously, I enjoyed this episode, especially thanks to the development of Violet and her interaction with new characters.

This. Some novel readers will complain that's different from the novel but I think the anime needed to show how Violet starts becoming more emphatic to the people around her, and this episode managed to do just that and did it pretty well.
Jan 24, 2018 3:43 PM

Apr 2016
With all this setup, I believe we'll get into the adventures from here on out. I'm excited to see it!
2D > 3D
Jan 24, 2018 3:44 PM

Dec 2017
Anyone that can type 130WPM or even higher? That is incredibly fast if you ask me. That 200CPM as an entry level seems a bit low though.
Jan 24, 2018 4:14 PM
Jul 2009
ItzToxic said:
With all this setup, I believe we'll get into the adventures from here on out. I'm excited to see it!

Yeah, I also think we'll start the adventuring next episode.
Jan 24, 2018 4:15 PM

Aug 2015
I have to admit, Violet Evergarden has finally pushed the bounds of animation and made something truly revolutionary and incredible... a fat KyoAni character. Other than that, this has been pretty underwhelming so far.
Jan 24, 2018 4:28 PM
Jul 2016
If the show keeps this quality it could aots. The first two episodes where really weak so i hope the rest if the show lives up to the this one.

By the way the op sucks... the ending is decent though but the ost in general has been pretty lacking so far. I'm not an animation guy, i care more about the ost so i hope kyoni brings out some bangers later.
Jan 24, 2018 4:29 PM

Jun 2015
Beautiful episode. Violet made a friend during training school and was able to write a letter for her at the end. I'm liking the side characters more than Violet tbh.
Jan 24, 2018 4:30 PM

Jan 2013
Fantastic episode. I wasn't too hyped about this anime at first but the more people hate on it for retarded reasons, the more I am pushed towards appreciating the good qualities and liking it even more.
Best anime of 2018 so far.
Jan 24, 2018 4:34 PM

Jan 2018
I agree that the pacing of Violet Evergarden is slow. But in my opinion, it is still gaining momentum. I hope that they should start adapting from the novel since that was the one I got excited for this anime. Looking forward for the next episode.

Jan 24, 2018 4:37 PM

Jun 2014
It was better than last episode, I'll give it that.

Violet seems to be getting better at understanding how to properly write letters.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

MAL is literally just anime Twitter as its own website lol.

Jan 24, 2018 4:38 PM

Nov 2016
Visuals are awsome but after 3 episode still thats it , my hopes of getting masterpiece anime going down equally with this anime rating

Eanraig said:
Really annoyed that every episode has been very predictable so far.

+1 that
Jan 24, 2018 4:39 PM
Nov 2013
Okay, now we’re getting somewhere. Nice drama this episode.

I haven’t read the novel, but you guys know this isn’t an adventure anime right? This is a drama made by KyoAni, which means that we should all know pretty much what to expect.. If you aren’t liking it so far, I’m not sure exactly what you’re waiting for...
Jan 24, 2018 4:40 PM
Jul 2018
I'm only here for the art & animation, the story is too boring for my taste.
Jan 24, 2018 4:51 PM

Mar 2015
Excellent episode, watched it twice!

Violet's story continues to progress admirably. The art as always was top notch. The variety of music and instruments used is wonderful: violins for one piece, and then flute and piano for another.

Luculia's simple story was aptly used to prize out more of Violet's story and moved her character development forward. She is not always doing things exactly the way she was told to do them (removing her gloves) and is moving beyond the literal interpretation of her world and doing so in a way that cuts to the soul of the issue (very Violet) but still evokes the heart (her letter to Luculia's brother).
The sword that takes life gives life
Jan 24, 2018 4:51 PM

Apr 2016
Blarey said:

I haven’t read the novel, but you guys know this isn’t an adventure anime right? This is a drama made by KyoAni, which means that we should all know pretty much what to expect.. If you aren’t liking it so far, I’m not sure exactly what you’re waiting for...

What we call "adventures" are separate stories where Violet goes to the customer's location and writes letters for him/her. Of course, most of them have emotional endings. That's where the drama comes from.

Jan 24, 2018 4:54 PM

May 2012
This anime is fucking boring holy shit.
Jan 24, 2018 5:03 PM
Aug 2015
Really nice ED, OP kinda stale imo.
I also like how the new character took off her hat as they approached the top of the tower, since she had lost a hat from the wind up there previously, which we got to see later. Nice little nod there.
All in all this anime just gives me goosebumps every episode with it's stunning visuals and sometimes spot on music. Since I don't know anything about the original source material I don't have any problems with the pacing and such yet, even though I am a bit worried of where the story is going.

TLDR; Great ED, poor OP, good with a new character and nice attention to detail. A bit worried about where the story is headed.
Jan 24, 2018 5:07 PM
Nov 2013
Major_Gilbert said:
Blarey said:

What we call "adventures" are separate stories where Violet goes to the customer's location and writes letters for him/her. Of course, most of them have emotional endings. That's where the drama comes from.

That sounds super boring, if this anime is just about writing letters, I’ll probably end up dropping it halfway through.
Jan 24, 2018 5:17 PM

Apr 2016
Blarey said:
Major_Gilbert said:

That sounds super boring, if this anime is just about writing letters, I’ll probably end up dropping it halfway through.

I didn't say that all of the novel involves writing letters in each chapter.

Jan 24, 2018 5:21 PM
Nov 2013
Major_Gilbert said:
Blarey said:

I didn't say that all of the novel involves writing letters in each chapter.

Well the ghost letters worked out great for this episode, but if it followed the same formula every episode then I imagine it would get boring pretty fast.
Jan 24, 2018 5:24 PM
Nov 2017
this episode is actually pretty predictable but i still enjoyed it. i feel like violet should go through some more trials and failures but i think they will do that in the future. something like she redeemed herself once but shows that she still needs much more room for improvement.

im kinda sad that there are many people who call violet bland just because she shows no emotion. violet is a very consistently written character. she's a military weapon who is afraid of being useless because she literally has no purpose anymore. i think it's great that she's trying to find herself in the regular human world.
Jan 24, 2018 5:27 PM

Aug 2014
it was a very good episode, i think they will go for the boring romance route between the fighting characters right now.

also i still don't get what she meant last episode when she said "you wanted a girl"
"Even if it has good reviews, if I don't like it then it is shit"

-Some random anime character
Jan 24, 2018 5:30 PM
Sep 2017
Great episode, and beautiful OST!
So far, i really enjoyed this series.
Jan 24, 2018 5:34 PM

Dec 2015
Emotionally powerful and resonating. I feel like every episode in this show thus far has moments that make me want to tear up. I wonder what first-time binging this series would feel like after it all finishes airing.

I also have no problem with the episodic nature, as long as the characters are strong enough to carry it, and this show has no problems in that department for me.

Best OP song of the season, just hoped the beautiful visuals were a bit more... animated? (ironic considering this is the most well-animated shows of the season). I also really adore the ED's visual direction.

I feel like every emotion depicted in this series so far and genuinely felt by me is well earned. It's not overly melodramatic just for the sake of being some sort of cry porn (like Anohana and parts of Clannad), not that I dislike those type of shows, but this one is just... more grounded in its drama?

Although some may disagree with me, I think the way this show approaches its issues and its characters is very realistic, and oddly "mature" for anime standards (take that what you will, and please don't misinterpret what I am saying as I don't think shows that don't have mature themes are automatically bad)

Another thing that I felt this show does really well is how much it treats its characters with respect and consistency. Think about an anime in recently memory that didn't treat a "larger" side character as a NEET, a loser, or a creeper/pervert (other 3-gatsu/Shirobako). It is actually pretty refreshing.
"Anime is trash and so am I."
Jan 24, 2018 5:36 PM

Dec 2014
Definitely the best episode till date.

I took a real liking to Luculia, I hope she's a recurring character.

The part where Violet gives Luculia's brother her ghostwritten letter made me tear up, that was a really well done scene.

Violet is finally beginning to understand the human heart. :)

The final scene with Luculia helping her brother back to place with the scenic view was great and congratulations to Violet for graduating.
It's often the simplest and most straightforward words that have the most powerful resonance within people. :)
Pages (8) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 7, 2018

371 by LunaLov »»
10 hours ago

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 14, 2018

636 by BlaizeV »»
Sep 18, 11:15 AM

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 4, 2018

506 by HiljainenSipuli »»
Aug 30, 7:09 AM

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 28, 2018

238 by HiljainenSipuli »»
Aug 30, 6:38 AM

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 21, 2018

253 by HiljainenSipuli »»
Aug 30, 6:16 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.