Forum Settings
Forums

Upcoming Dragon Quest XI looks like its going to be way better than Final Fantasy XV

New
Dec 17, 2016 12:46 PM

Nov 2011
Maybe finally DQ will catch on in the west and steal the Final Fantasy fans who are disapointed with the direction the FF series has been going.

Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Dec 17, 2016 1:00 PM

Jan 2013
This does look better than XV.

But let's not get too hasty here.

Dragon Quest XI could be the best RPG in history and westerners would still dick ride the latest Bioware/CD Projekt Red game to infinitum.

There's a huge western bias going on right now in gaming and it's not going away anytime soon.
Dec 17, 2016 1:03 PM

Sep 2011
it looks good but dragon quest has too much of that samey feel to it that makes them blend together too much, the biggest turn off for the franchise to me is the pointless self insert main characters rather than writing a proper protagonist especially when there is a lack of choice like in the DQ games. I need a personal connection with characters to carry me through it and while party members can carry it theres always a massive loss by making the MC a mute. XV excelled in this department where the plot fell behind and wound up making a really memorable tale as a result depsite its shortcomings. So far the only DQ thats left an impression on me was 8 though ive enjoyed its action spin off games as of recent since they arnet banking on the story to carry it.

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Dec 17, 2016 1:05 PM

Jan 2013
JizzyHitler said:
it looks good but dragon quest has too much of that samey feel to it that makes them blend together too much, the biggest turn off for the franchise to me is the pointless self insert main characters rather than writing a proper protagonist especially when there is a lack of choice like in the DQ games. I need a personal connection with characters to carry me through it and while party members can carry it theres always a massive loss by making the MC a mute. XV excelled in this department where the plot fell behind and wound up making a really memorable tale as a result depsite its shortcomings. So far the only DQ thats left an impression on me was 8 though ive enjoyed its action spin off games as of recent since they arnet banking on the story to carry it.
Did you at least play DQ V?
Dec 17, 2016 1:07 PM

Sep 2011
95PercentCaim said:
JizzyHitler said:
Did you at least play DQ V?
yes ive played 5 7 and 8, it had an interesting start cause it felt alot darker of an entry but it started to wain the more it went on. I thought the characters were decent but they just couldnt carry a full game for me. 5 having an actual villain did help ALOT though at holding interest.

I enjoy the optimistic tone of dragon quest but i feel like they lack the substance in the story to carry their massive lengths. I've only beaten builders heroes and 8 though as 5 i stopped about 20 hours in and 7 i couldnt take after the 30 hour mark.
JizzyHitlerDec 17, 2016 1:11 PM

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Dec 17, 2016 2:14 PM

Nov 2011
JizzyHitler said:

Tbh while i dont preference a mute protagonist over one with a personality, I do prefer mute protagonists over many of FF's lamer protagonists like Cloud, Squall, Tidus, and Vaan. Also people call Dragon Quest a samey seriee but thats because its actually a series where the games all feel connected in style while with Final Fantasy after the 5th entry they started to change things up and eventually it got to where the FF games felt like the were only connected to the older games by name. Also Dragon Quest games have been a lot more innovative than people give them credit for.
Dec 17, 2016 2:31 PM

Aug 2014
95PercentCaim said:

Dragon Quest XI could be the best RPG in history and westerners would still dick ride the latest Bioware/CD Projekt Red game to infinitum.

There's a huge western bias going on right now in gaming and it's not going away anytime soon.
Really? I thought everyone disliked Bioware since their latest games hasn't been that well received by lots of players?
Dec 17, 2016 2:42 PM

Feb 2016
Dragonquest will never be on Final Fantasy level and that's ok I'm fine with a slightly above average rpg.

As for sales and and fans don't expect much like ign once said "Poor mans FF" this is for all intent and purposes a "niche" series.
PSN:ShadowStrike002

2x national and 2x all-American wrestler

Dec 17, 2016 2:47 PM

Nov 2011
Shadowtheking said:
Dragonquest will never be on Final Fantasy level and that's ok I'm fine with a slightly above average rpg.

As for sales and and fans don't expect much like ign once said "Poor mans FF" this is for all intent and purposes a "niche" series.

Dragon Quest came before FF in fact FF used to be seen as a DQ clone. Also DQ cant be a poor mans FF now that FF has ditched Turn based gameplay. Eitherway DQ has always been a better series. You cant really call it niche either when its the most popular game series in Japan.
Dec 17, 2016 2:57 PM

Feb 2016
Waifu_Strangler said:
Shadowtheking said:

Dragon Quest came before FF in fact FF used to be seen as a DQ clone. Also DQ cant be a poor mans FF now that FF has ditched Turn based gameplay. Eitherway DQ has always been a better series. You cant really call it niche either when its the most popular game series in Japan.

Niche in the west and no I'm sorry I think it definitely isn't better sales and critics decide which is better and by my count FF has a game that is considered the GOAT in 7.

Dec 17, 2016 3:05 PM

Nov 2008
Shadowtheking said:

DQ doesn't get ruined to appeal to fujoshi and shoehorned in an action battle system instead of a true turned based style (leave action battle systems to Tales of), I'll take something traditional over Fujoshi Fantasy XV.

Dec 17, 2016 3:08 PM

Feb 2016
Hoppy said:
Shadowtheking said:

DQ doesn't get ruined to appeal to fujoshi and shoehorned in an action battle system instead of a true turned based style (leave action battle systems to Tales of), I'll take something traditional over Fujoshi Fantasy XV.

Hey that's fine it's not a bad series but let's be real here OP said maybe DQ will catch in the west......it's been 11 games.

Dec 17, 2016 3:11 PM

Jan 2013
Hoppy said:
Shadowtheking said:

No.

Tales of will never ever have a good combat system that's over Brotherhood Fantasy XV or any other FF.

Enjoy your games with little girls because the real games for real men are here.
Dec 17, 2016 3:15 PM

Nov 2011
Shadowtheking said:
Waifu_Strangler said:

Niche in the west and no I'm sorry I think it definitely isn't better sales and critics decide which is better and by my count FF has a game that is considered the GOAT in 7.

Sales and critics dont decide quality. Lots of great games and series get ignored, plus critics are usually biased and have to give AAA games good reviews because they get bribed or blackmailed by the companies. Besides critics gave FF 13 good reviews and most agree its trash. As for FF 7 i got bored and quit playing.
Dec 17, 2016 3:25 PM

Sep 2011
Hoppy said:
Shadowtheking said:

The fujoshi comments for FFXV are the dumbest fucking thing in the unverise, it doesnt even so much as have an undertone in it unless you consider attractive males to be one of them, and even then if their attractivness triggers you that much you can jsut change their outfits to less sexualized versions the entire game, noctis is engaged and madly in love with his fiance, prompto is a failed ladies man who keeps trying to hit on cidney and arnaea, gladio is more focused on his sister's well being than anything and even tries to get noctis to give her attention, and ignis is the straight man trying to keep everything together at the cost of his own well being.

theres reasons to complain against XV, but fujoshi pandering is a made up one with no basis. Just like the emo complaints they always come from someone basing shit solely off of appearances without actually seeing what these characters are like nor their relationships are. The funniest part of the fujo pandering complaint is the game does a diservice to those wanting sexy males anyway due to the drastic changes each of the 4 goes through in appearance through both unpleasant looking scars to outright growing up into their 30's by the end of the game.
JizzyHitlerDec 17, 2016 4:05 PM

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Dec 17, 2016 3:38 PM

Nov 2014
Looks awesome. I just hope the side quests are good.
Dec 17, 2016 3:39 PM

May 2010
I'll admit, as a DQ hater it's looking pretty good. The moment they start talking about their guvs and knickers though, that's when I'm out. If it get's localized with Dual Audio I think I'll give it a shot. DQ8 really annoyed me with its overly British world. Ni No Kuni was just the right amount of British, so I hope something has been learned since then.
Dec 17, 2016 3:45 PM

Nov 2011
Thrashinuva said:
I'll admit, as a DQ hater it's looking pretty good. The moment they start talking about their guvs and knickers though, that's when I'm out. If it get's localized with Dual Audio I think I'll give it a shot. DQ8 really annoyed me with its overly British world. Ni No Kuni was just the right amount of British, so I hope something has been learned since then.

Hating a game because it uses british voice acting is beyond silly to me. I guess you dont like Monty Pythons flying circus or Only fools and horses either.
Dec 17, 2016 3:49 PM

Nov 2014
Waifu_Strangler said:
Thrashinuva said:

Hating a game because it uses british voice acting is beyond silly to me. I guess you dont like Monty Pythons flying circus or Only fools and horses either.

British voice acting... DQ World Tree Woe gave us the dual option. Couldn't decide which version I liked better.
Dec 17, 2016 4:01 PM

Sep 2011
SolidusSmoke said:
Waifu_Strangler said:

British voice acting... DQ World Tree Woe gave us the dual option. Couldn't decide which version I liked better.
japanese was better but i had to play English solely cause im used to yangus and jessica's English voice and wanted to hear them again.

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Dec 17, 2016 4:03 PM

May 2010
Waifu_Strangler said:
Thrashinuva said:

That wasn't the only reason. I also felt it was a shit game. If DQ11 gives me an option to not listen to their annoying British terms that are used just for the sake of being different, then I'll give it a chance. That is, DQ11 looks interesting enough for me to give it a shot even though it's from a series I don't like.

Also if I see that MC turn Super Saiyan I'm probably done.
Dec 17, 2016 4:18 PM

Sep 2011
Thrashinuva said:

i know your joking about that just cause toriyama but dragon quest heroes actually does have characters go super saiyan so dont go for that one.

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Dec 17, 2016 4:19 PM

Nov 2011
Thrashinuva said:
Waifu_Strangler said:

That wasn't the only reason. I also felt it was a shit game. If DQ11 gives me an option to not listen to their annoying British terms that are used just for the sake of being different, then I'll give it a chance. That is, DQ11 looks interesting enough for me to give it a shot even though it's from a series I don't like.

British voice acting for the sake of being different? You realize the game has always been very grounded in british medieval style right? It only makes sense the voice actors are british when the setting is very british. Also is that just a random insult towards Toriyamas art? You make it hard for me to want to take you seriously.
Dec 17, 2016 4:27 PM
Apr 2013
I only want a Dragon Warrior III remake. Others are pfft, whatever.
Dec 17, 2016 6:29 PM

May 2010
Waifu_Strangler said:
Thrashinuva said:

British voice acting for the sake of being different? You realize the game has always been very grounded in british medieval style right? It only makes sense the voice actors are british when the setting is very british. Also is that just a random insult towards Toriyamas art? You make it hard for me to want to take you seriously.
My issue isn't that the voices are British, my issue is that the writing is overly British, and also that for the entire land to have that extremely thick British accent and dialect is not only not realistic, but extremely annoying.

My issue with super saiyans in DQ is not with Toriyama's art style, but that DQ shouldn't have super saiyans.

Rather, if the MC turns into a super saiyan and isn't some sort of alien with mystical powers or some such, then why don't his allies go super saiyan as well? My issue here is the lack of creativity involved here, as well as a lack of consistency. Yamcha does not go super saiyan, he doesn't have the ability to. Similarly Yangus should be going super saiyan and losing his hat the second his Tension reaches 100, since there isn't any arbitrary reason why it happens.

While we're at it, it also annoys me when they put human eyes on animals.

Could Eight have defeated Super Saiyan Blue? After all he was able to go Super Saiyan Rosé all this time.

It also annoys me when every character in the game defaults to Toriyama's happy expression.

So again my issue isn't with Toriyama's art, but rather the use of his art. I'm pretty glad the horse in the trailer doesn't have human eyes, regardless of if it has the soul of a human or not.
Dec 18, 2016 12:35 AM

Dec 2011
Yeah that looks pretty good. I loved DQ8 even though I still haven't finished it and this looks just as good if not better.

95PercentCaim said:

You forgot Bethesda, who are far worse in that regard.
Dec 18, 2016 1:19 AM

Jan 2013
Thrashinuva said:
So again my issue isn't with Toriyama's art, but rather the use of his art. I'm pretty glad the horse in the trailer doesn't have human eyes, regardless of if it has the soul of a human or not.
Gonna have to agree. Toriyama is kinda dragging the series down with his poorly aged artstyle. The trailer had some really realistic graphics, but they mesh extremely terribly with Toriyama's overall flat style. It kinda sucks cause the series wouldn't be the same without him. His art is pretty much the soul of the Dragon Quest series, but the standards of gaming are taking off in a direction that he can't follow.

As for whether or not it competes with FFXV, I really can't say this brings anything new to the table. We're gonna go on an adventure for glory and treasure and end up on a quest to save the world as usual. The hardware doesn't seem to be doing anything different from the reveal trailer last year. The cinematic trailer is still pretty nice I guess.

Still wondering if it will be a single player focused game like DQ8 or a game with good co-op like DQ9. I really enjoyed playing with my brother.

Before you reply to this post, Waifu_Strangler, I absolutely refuse to read your biased posts. I wont be replying to whatever putrid waste you manage to type up. Buzz off.
Dec 18, 2016 2:55 AM

Sep 2012
i fucking hate that dbz artstyle shit
literally makes the games unplayable for me

Oh maybe, maybe it's the clothes we wear
The tasteless bracelets and the dye in our hair
Or maybe, maybe it's our nowhere towns or our nothing places
But we're trash, you and me
We're the litter on the breeze
We're the lovers on the streets
Just trash, me and you
It's in everything we do
It's in everything we do

Dec 18, 2016 6:58 PM
Feb 2014
This game has potential. Dragon Quest was always a stellar series and let's not forget that DQ8 stands at 89 on metacritic.
Dec 18, 2016 7:05 PM

Apr 2011
95PercentCaim said:

Bioware stopped being relevant after Mass Effect 2 LOL
Dec 18, 2016 8:01 PM

Jul 2013
Never played a DQ game before. Though I have played Dragon Quest Builders but that's more like minecraft, it was awesome btw.
Dec 18, 2016 9:54 PM

Jun 2014
Now this is a real RPG! If Dragon Quest XI comes to the west, I'll definitely pick it up.

Final Fantasy XV is a joke compared to Dragon Quest XI.

Dec 18, 2016 10:16 PM

May 2015
Damn it! Not another Dragon Quest game! I still haven't finished all the other games on my 3DS yet, and Dragon Quest IX was 1/4th of my total play time on the 3DS!

Oh wait a minute...it's confirmed to be on the Switch...GIVE IT TO ME!
Dec 18, 2016 10:22 PM
Mar 2015
95PercentCaim said:

A lot of people I know disliked bioware's recent games. I have to disagree with the CD Project Red statement though. No final fantasy or Dragon quest I have played (I have played most of them) have better written stories than the witcher series some of the final fantasy stories were great but the witcher series was better imo.

While the combat may be better in dq or ff, I personally think the story is more important than the combat in an RPG. It is just my personal preference though.
Dec 19, 2016 11:19 AM

Nov 2011
Syrup- said:
Thrashinuva said:
Gonna have to agree. Toriyama is kinda dragging the series down with his poorly aged artstyle. The trailer had some really realistic graphics, but they mesh extremely terribly with Toriyama's overall flat style. It kinda sucks cause the series wouldn't be the same without him. His art is pretty much the soul of the Dragon Quest series, but the standards of gaming are taking off in a direction that he can't follow.

As for whether or not it competes with FFXV, I really can't say this brings anything new to the table. We're gonna go on an adventure for glory and treasure and end up on a quest to save the world as usual. The hardware doesn't seem to be doing anything different from the reveal trailer last year. The cinematic trailer is still pretty nice I guess.

Still wondering if it will be a single player focused game like DQ8 or a game with good co-op like DQ9. I really enjoyed playing with my brother.

Before you reply to this post, Waifu_Strangler, I absolutely refuse to read your biased posts. I wont be replying to whatever putrid waste you manage to type up. Buzz off.

Poorly aged artstyle? Have you looked at your own avatar? Its generic garbage. You guys just want everything to be generic and dull. Boo you guys!
Dec 19, 2016 11:31 AM

May 2010
Waifu_Strangler said:
generic garbage
So you want something that's different for the sake of being different?
Dec 19, 2016 11:54 AM

Nov 2011
Thrashinuva said:
Waifu_Strangler said:
generic garbage
What do you mean different for the sake of being different? Toriyamas art is different because its his own take on the anime style and it looks a lot better than generic harem and moe art you see so much of now.
Dec 19, 2016 12:29 PM

May 2010
Waifu_Strangler said:
Thrashinuva said:
What do you mean different for the sake of being different? Toriyamas art is different because its his own take on the anime style and it looks a lot better than generic harem and moe art you see so much of now.
You're going to have to do better than that. If you recognize that the art style in DQ is such a big deal, then surely you're open to criticism about it. If the art style is such a big deal, then surely it's not for everyone.

And it really shows you should never be an art critic. Moe is generic? We have 4 moe character avatars in this thread right now, not including my own and Caim's, and they all have widely different art styles.

And that in itself is laughably ironic considering how samey everything in DQ feels.

And that's not an insult about Toriyama's art. The true insult is to call that an insult. The usage of his art style is criminal. He's capable of so much more.

And then we're given the same copy and paste NPC's 5 times in the same town for every town.

Even Morrie is just a copy and paste of Kalderasha.

Again my issue isn't with his art. It's the use of his art that I have an issue with.

Lack of creativity.
Dec 19, 2016 12:36 PM

Jun 2014
Thrashinuva said:
Waifu_Strangler said:
You're going to have to do better than that. If you recognize that the art style in DQ is such a big deal, then surely you're open to criticism about it. If the art style is such a big deal, then surely it's not for everyone.

And it really shows you should never be an art critic. Moe is generic? We have 4 moe character avatars in this thread right now, not including my own and Caim's, and they all have widely different art styles.

And that in itself is laughably ironic considering how samey everything in DQ feels.

And that's not an insult about Toriyama's art. The true insult is to call that an insult. The usage of his art style is criminal. He's capable of so much more.

And then we're given the same copy and paste NPC's 5 times in the same town for every town.

Again my issue isn't with his art. It's the use of his art that I have an issue with.

Lack of creativity.

I think the main thing here, is that Dragon Quest XI looks better than Final Fantasy XV.

Dec 19, 2016 12:36 PM

May 2010
@Seiya

And like I stated, so far DQ XI has shown enough for me to consider giving it a shot.
Dec 19, 2016 12:44 PM

Nov 2011
Thrashinuva said:
Waifu_Strangler said:

Lack of creativity.

Youre complaining about lack of creativity but you have Steins Gate in your favorites lol. Also whats ironic is how you bring up different for the sake of being different then comment on how all DQ feels too samey.
Dec 19, 2016 12:54 PM

Jan 2013
Seiya said:
I think the main thing here, is that Dragon Quest XI looks better than Final Fantasy XV.
Graphically? Nah. If you're talking about gameplay, we haven't even seen anything in those two videos except town scene introductions and Link on a hor-- um I mean the protagonist.

I like Dragon Quest a lot but comparing it to FF15 is literally retarded.
Dec 19, 2016 1:24 PM

May 2010
Waifu_Strangler said:
Youre complaining about lack of creativity but you have Steins Gate in your favorites lol. Also whats ironic is how you bring up different for the sake of being different then comment on how all DQ feels too samey.
You're attacking me based on just one entry in my favorite anime list? Really?

My biggest issue with these games is the localization, which is different for the sake of being different (and horrible on its own). You like the art because it's not a generic art style. These are two different points and have nothing to do with each other.
Dec 19, 2016 1:29 PM

Jun 2014
Syrup- said:
Seiya said:
Graphically? Nah. If you're talking about gameplay, we haven't even seen anything in those two videos except town scene introductions and Link on a hor-- um I mean the protagonist.

I like Dragon Quest a lot but comparing it to FF15 is literally retarded.

Dragon Quest XI certainly has a more traditional RPG feel and appearance, which I like.

Final Fantasy XV on the hand, is about a bunch of girly, homosexual boys driving around in plastic cars.

You see what I'm getting at?

Dec 19, 2016 1:34 PM

Feb 2013
I never played any Dragon Quest or Final Fantasy game before, but I will probably buy FFXV, it looks really nice.
Dragon Quest XI looks too childish for me, I never play that type of game.
Dec 19, 2016 1:58 PM

Nov 2011
Thrashinuva said:
Waifu_Strangler said:

My biggest issue with these games is the localization, which is different for the sake of being different (and horrible on its own). You like the art because it's not a generic art style. These are two different points and have nothing to do with each other.

I like it because i like it. I dont understand this different for the sake of being different thing you keep bringing up. I just cant care about arguing this with you anymore so im losing motivation to make an effort here.
Dec 19, 2016 2:01 PM

Jun 2011
That's not really a high bar, since FFXV is shit.

Still DQ has that disgusting Toriyama art, so I'm not touching that either.
Dec 19, 2016 2:06 PM

May 2010
Waifu_Strangler said:
Thrashinuva said:

I like it because i like it. I dont understand this different for the sake of being different thing you keep bringing up. I just cant care about arguing this with you anymore so im losing motivation to make an effort here.
I've already discussed it pretty well and you haven't made any points I haven't addressed. You're allowed to like the art. In case you haven't fully comprehended it yet, I like Toriyama's art style. But you calling moe "generic garbage" is rather stupid and shows you haven't really put any real thought into this.
TyrelDec 22, 2016 7:31 PM
Dec 19, 2016 3:32 PM

Nov 2014
Niche games usually gain popularity by word of mouth. There isn't a whole lot of advertising for most of them.

If the new Dragon Quest turns out to be really good it's capable of gaining mainstream success.

Just look how much the Witcher 3 blew up. It was heavily marketed and lived up to it.
Lots of console players didn't even know about The Witcher franchise.
Dec 19, 2016 4:18 PM

Nov 2011
Thrashinuva said:
Syrup- said:
Thrash I love you like a brother so I'm gonna remind you not to get too emotionally involved in your conversation with him. He's said some really retarded shit in the past and shouldn't be taken seriously.
I understand completely, onii-chan.

Waifu_Strangler said:

I've already discussed it pretty well and you haven't made any points I haven't addressed. You're allowed to like the art. In case you haven't fully comprehended it yet, I like Toriyama's art style. But you calling moe "generic garbage" is rather stupid and shows you haven't really put any real thought into this.

Its not something worth putting thought into is it? Is there anything i can say thats going to to change your mind or vice versa? No there isnt. I think your reasons are silly but hey what can I do to change that. Most people on MAL have horrible taste in art anyway as far as im concerned.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Nintendo is suing Palworld

Dumb - Sep 18

22 by ArabianLuffy »»
9 hours ago

» Favorite Playstation era

Kirika_Madeleine - Sep 14

30 by Kajiuran »»
10 hours ago

» Updating my pc

skapito - Sep 16

25 by BigBoyAdvance »»
10 hours ago

» What's the first website you ever visited? ( 1 2 )

TheBlockernator - Aug 6, 2023

68 by BigBoyAdvance »»
10 hours ago

» Is the idea that a game needs to respect your time a contradiction on the fundamental concept of video games

Reshiram_IX - Yesterday

9 by BigBoyAdvance »»
11 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.