Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 29, 2013 2:17 PM

Apr 2013
I'm in my early twenties and I've noticed that most of my generation doesn't listen to old music. When I say old, I mean music that came out before you were born.

Three years ago, I discovered old music that I liked thanks to an assignment I had to do for class. My dad also helped expand my taste a little too. Thanks to the assignment and my dad, my taste has been expanded and become eclectic.

These days I notice that the generation coming up are listening to old music. I go on Youtube and see comments from middle schoolers and high schoolers on lyric videos for people musicians like The Beatles. Since my generation never did that, how is that the upcoming generation does it?

Edit: Forgot to share some of who I listen to.

Old Music: David Bowie, Joan Jett & The Blackhearts (though there still making stuff), The Runaways (Dakota Fanning & Kristen Stewart, but it's still old), The Beatles, Chuck Berry, and a little jazz, funk, and soul (Ella Fitzgerald, James Brown, Whitney Houston)

Current Music: P!nk, Amy Winehouse, Linkin Park (band), various soundtracks from movies, cartoons, and video games, strings (i.e. violin, cello)
BlerdGirlApr 30, 2013 5:36 PM
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Apr 29, 2013 2:18 PM
Jul 2012
Young people in my age likes rap.
Apr 29, 2013 2:24 PM

Apr 2013
GoldenBRS said:

I don't understand your reply, sorry. BTW I like your Hastune Miku pic; it's awesome!
Apr 29, 2013 2:29 PM
Jul 2012
otakuNproud said:
GoldenBRS said:

I don't understand your reply, sorry. BTW I like your Hastune Miku pic; it's awesome!

I don't got miku in mine.

You know the genre hip-hop-rap?That's what i talking about.
Apr 29, 2013 2:34 PM

Apr 2013
GoldenBRS said:
otakuNproud said:
GoldenBRS said:

I get what genre you meant, I'm saying you need to explain your reply. Are you saying that rap music causes your generation not to listen to old music?
Apr 29, 2013 2:37 PM
Jul 2012
otakuNproud said:
GoldenBRS said:
otakuNproud said:
GoldenBRS said:

I get what genre you meant, I'm saying you need to explain your reply. Are you saying that rap music causes your generation not to listen to old music?

Well, for me yeah sorta since I was born in the 90's. And many people like it and it is more popular than any old music. Some gerne is good, but that's the first genre i listen to
Apr 29, 2013 2:38 PM

Jun 2012
otakuNproud said:
GoldenBRS said:
otakuNproud said:
GoldenBRS said:

I think he mean that most young people prefer rap genre, throught I have to agree with him.
Apr 29, 2013 2:41 PM

Apr 2013
GoldenBRS said:
otakuNproud said:
GoldenBRS said:
otakuNproud said:
GoldenBRS said:

Well, for me yeah sorta since I was born in the 90's. And many people like it and it is more popular than any old music. Some gerne is good, but that's the first genre i listen to

Ok, thanks. Do you listen to anything else besides ra
GoldenBRS said:
otakuNproud said:
GoldenBRS said:
otakuNproud said:
GoldenBRS said:

Ok, thanks. If you don't mind answering, what else do you listen to besides rap?
Apr 29, 2013 2:46 PM
Jul 2012
otakuNproud said:
GoldenBRS said:
otakuNproud said:
GoldenBRS said:
otakuNproud said:
GoldenBRS said:

GoldenBRS said:
otakuNproud said:
GoldenBRS said:
otakuNproud said:
GoldenBRS said:

Ok, thanks. If you don't mind answering, what else do you listen to besides rap?

Sometimes I listen to rock,rarely I also listen to jazz.
Apr 29, 2013 2:47 PM

Apr 2013
GoldenBRS said:
otakuNproud said:
GoldenBRS said:
otakuNproud said:
GoldenBRS said:
otakuNproud said:
GoldenBRS said:

GoldenBRS said:
otakuNproud said:
GoldenBRS said:
otakuNproud said:
GoldenBRS said:

Sometimes I listen to rock,rarely I also listen to jazz.

Cool. Thanks for replying.
Apr 29, 2013 2:51 PM

Apr 2013
I think perhaps part of the reason why people today listen to a bigger variety of music is because of sites like facebook, youtube, google, etc. I know I have discovered many songs though those sites that I would have never heard otherwise. Back when I was little (in the early 90s) I didn't have that so I listened pretty much to what I heard on the radio and what my friends liked (which happened to basically be pop music). Basically its much easier today to have a different taste in music than it was 10 years ago.
Apr 29, 2013 3:31 PM

Apr 2013
AFlyOnTheWall said:
I think perhaps part of the reason why people today listen to a bigger variety of music is because of sites like facebook, youtube, google, etc. I know I have discovered many songs though those sites that I would have never heard otherwise. Back when I was little (in the early 90s) I didn't have that so I listened pretty much to what I heard on the radio and what my friends liked (which happened to basically be pop music). Basically its much easier today to have a different taste in music than it was 10 years ago.

I agree with you. Without Youtube, I would have had to use CDs to discover the music I did. And, I would have had to buy them myself unless my parents had the music I wanted.
Apr 29, 2013 3:36 PM

Apr 2009
well i really like 90's music which may or may not have been before i was born.
lol @ img bbcode not working, mal is such a great site
Apr 29, 2013 3:45 PM

Apr 2013
biitchstick said:

Yeah, some people listen to just 90s and back now. What artists in particular, if I may ask?
Apr 29, 2013 3:56 PM

Mar 2013
I listen to the Beatles, and I'm not that old.
Apr 29, 2013 3:59 PM

Mar 2012
Chakaara said:
That's not saying much, everybody listens to The Beatles. My younger cousin who makes his own dubstep listens to The Beatles.

Try talking to some Slipknot fans about Blue Cheer. That'll get you some funny looks.
I'm dead. Don't come looking for me.
Apr 29, 2013 4:00 PM

Aug 2012
I don't listen to the beatles.. they're overrated
sexual incest in nisomonogatari - no one bats an eye
romance incest in SAO - everyone loses their minds
Apr 29, 2013 4:03 PM

Dec 2011
I listen to tons of motown (about 35 years before me), it's my favorite. I pretty much only listen to oldies radio stations whenever I'm in the car. Besides that.. I also listen to lots of classic rock (anywhere from about 15-25ish years before me), and old school hip hop, but that doesn't predate me by very much.
EmmrysApr 29, 2013 4:06 PM
Apr 29, 2013 4:05 PM

Apr 2013
xKakashix said:
I have no problem with "old music" it's way better then today's music well, most of it like rap and things which is what everyone my age listens to now well, except me I do like some "old things" though like Jumpstyle I don't dance to it or anything although it's probably meant for that sole purpose, I just like listening to it, I listen to things of the same music genre well, not really but they all relate to each other by sound and stuff in some way though like Dubstep,Techno,Happy Hardcore,Jumpstyle,Electronic ect. but I do tend to listen to classic rock here and there.

What kind of genre is Jumpstyle?
Apr 29, 2013 4:07 PM

Apr 2013
Emmrys said:
I listen to tons of motown (about 40 years before me), it's my favorite. I pretty much only listen to oldies radio stations whenever I'm in the car. Besides that.. I also listen to lots of classic rock (anywhere from about 20-35ish years before me), and old school hip hop, but that doesn't predate me by very much.

Nice name. I listen to lots of classic rock too.
Apr 29, 2013 4:11 PM

Apr 2013
Chakaara said:

Cute Pokemon pic and profile pic. I listen to The Beatles too, whenever I want classic rock by only one artist. However, I love listening to David Bowie more than I do The Beatles, and not his new album either. His old stuff.
Apr 29, 2013 4:14 PM

Apr 2013
You don't find any better or more beautiful music then music from the 80s in my opinion.
Apr 29, 2013 4:20 PM

Apr 2013
S4rin3 said:
You don't find any better or more beautiful music then music from the 80s in my opinion.

Whatever completes your soul.
Apr 29, 2013 4:29 PM

Apr 2009
otakuNproud said:
biitchstick said:

Yeah, some people listen to just 90s and back now. What artists in particular, if I may ask?

Well my top 5 bands originated from the 90's

Marilyn Manson,NIN,Placebo,Smashing pumpkins and Radiohead

I also like using apps on my iphone that have those music playlists for all genres and choose mainstream 90's rock/pop playlists to listen too now and then.
lol @ img bbcode not working, mal is such a great site
Apr 29, 2013 4:42 PM

Jun 2012
i listen to shitty rap and john denver at the same time
ORIGINAL SIGNATURE
Apr 29, 2013 4:49 PM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
The oldest stuff I listen to is John Coltraine and, thanks to Samakichi, Bill Evans.

I'm level on MAL-Badges. View my badges.
Apr 29, 2013 5:01 PM

Jul 2012
otakuNproud said:
I'm in my early twenties and I've noticed that most of my generation doesn't listen to old music. When I say old, I mean music that came out before you were born.

Three years ago, I discovered old music that I liked thanks to an assignment I had to do for class. My dad also helped expand my taste a little too. Thanks to the assignment and my dad, my taste has been expanded and become eclectic.

These days I notice that the generation coming up are listening to old music. I go on Youtube and see comments from middle schoolers and high schoolers on lyric videos for people musicians like The Beatles. Since my generation never did that, how is that the upcoming generation does it?

my dad introduced me to a lot of old music. nothing crazy underground cool, but great music. the moody blues, the doors, early beatles, etc.

i'm grateful
Apr 29, 2013 5:10 PM

May 2010
I listen to a range of music, old to new. Especially when new is keeping it old school :)
Apr 29, 2013 5:24 PM

Feb 2013
I listen to a lot of Serge Gainsbourg, Lucia Popp, Edward Elgar, Glenn Miller, Richard Strauss, and Mozart just to name a few off the top of my head. I think it's just a matter of taste, not the generation. I'm sure a couple of kids in the 80's hated the new music then and were listening to 60's or whatever, it happens in every generation. But around friends my age, I usually don't bring up the subject about music.
I'm only 17 years old so who knows next year I could be listening to pop or rap, but I highly doubt it because I have a very picky taste.

I should also add, my father is in his late 60's and listens to techno, dubstep and whatever new genres they have these days (basically anything an average 15 year old would listen to).
Apr 29, 2013 5:26 PM

Sep 2012
This is kind of unrelated, but do you know what I hate?

When people my age say shit like "90's kids" or "So glad I'm a 90's kid".

Bitch, you were born in 1994. When the 90's ended, you were six damn years old. Nobody remembers shit from when they were six.
Apr 29, 2013 6:00 PM

Feb 2012
Red_Keys said:

Bitch, you were born in 1994. When the 90's ended, you were six damn years old. Nobody remembers shit from when they were six.

Funny I remember watching Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles at 1.5 years old.
"I will close my eyes and let the darkness be the light that guides me through the path of chaos"

Call me the Jelly Factory. I'm the world's largest producer of jelly.
Apr 29, 2013 6:13 PM

Apr 2013
Bloodcalibur said:
Red_Keys said:

Funny I remember watching Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles at 1.5 years old.

You have a great memory.
Apr 29, 2013 7:29 PM

Aug 2009
Born in 1990, but was raised on Michael Jackson, Prince, and a few other artists from the 80's.

Apr 29, 2013 9:08 PM

Mar 2010
Don't you think you should attribute that to someone?

I think older music is more relevant than ever. If one is curious about music almost no effort has to be expended to explore that curiosity. If you have internet access there is absolutely no period of written or recorded music you cannot infatuate yourself with. In a way the internet has paralyzed music. The ease and demand of the process of exploring new music (which can either be old music which had been obscured from you before or music happening now that you feel is challenging/exciting/intelligent/whatever) has created kind of a hype bubble where there are so many people looking for next new thing, that there isn't really any environment for truly innovative music to flourish and only a new music mainstream to cater to.

But, anyway I am the guy with the Big Black avatar so I am obviously aware of my own participation in this whole mess.
Apr 29, 2013 9:43 PM

Oct 2012
otakuNproud said:
I don't know how old you are. I'm late-twenties, and there were plenty of hipster kids listening to Jimi Hendrix or the Beatles in my generation. With every generation, kids will try to assert their independence from the mainstream by digging out obscure or old music and acting like just because they don't listen to Top 40, their music taste has become somehow superior to the rest.

The funny thing is everyone goes through this phase, so you have a bunch of kids on YouTube posting, "I'm only 5 years old and Journey > Justin Bieber durrr." But they don't realize that everyone else on YouTube is doing the same thing.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Apr 29, 2013 9:46 PM

Mar 2010
3nvy said:

Oops. I meant to link to the article at the end. I forgot because it's copypasta and it's almost always posted without being attributed to the original dude.
http://www.scaruffi.com/vol1/beatles.html

I selected the best paragraphs and arguments, but the whole thing is pretty good.
Nice avatar btw.

I'm sorry I didn't know it had that kind of context, I feel like kind of a fool now.
Apr 29, 2013 10:03 PM

May 2010
What kid find "Hot" today is just a bunch of Wtf, don't get me wrong they're hand full of good song out there but for the most part it mostly the same 808 and most kid don't see that, when i was growing up mid 90's and early 00's music was good but i still listen to old school rap and 50's since my brother was born in the late 70's so i had that kind music around me since he was a DJ mixing stuff, so i think it's what you grow up with.

for me i can go back and listen to Ray Charles,Ben E. King,The Temptations,Otis Redding and so on. Young kid don't understand the value of old school music and alot of artist now days sample music of past generation, so without the music of the past, alot of music now days wouldn't be out there
HydnlifeApr 29, 2013 10:06 PM
Apr 29, 2013 10:28 PM

Dec 2012
New school rap>>>>>old school rap
I am important. I have a girlfriend. Check out my podcast
Apr 29, 2013 10:29 PM

Sep 2012
Really? My whole class only listens to 80's music. I don't fancy dance music so I try to step aside.

Everyone have listened to The Beatles, Rolling Stones, The Who and Nirvana once in their lives.

I think it's important to listen to current music so you don't get stuck in the past. Even if you think the past was 'better'. I try my best to keep up to todays music while backtracking.

A great place to start for good old music is /mu/'s essential list. I found myself liking a lot more albums from that list than Rolling Stone's top 100.
Apr 29, 2013 11:06 PM

Sep 2012
3nvy said:
Rolling stone is just awful. /mu/ sucks too but they've introduced me to some amazing albums so they're cool.

Rolling Stones are alright. Their most popular songs are pretty good, but that's like 5 songs. I never implied that /mu/ was good place but as you said they are good for one thing and that's suggestions.
Apr 29, 2013 11:13 PM

Mar 2010
I think he meant the magazine not the band and it's crazy that you thought that because you were also talking about the magazine a second ago too.
Apr 30, 2013 5:53 AM

Sep 2012
MyLonesomeCowboy said:
I think he meant the magazine not the band and it's crazy that you thought that because you were also talking about the magazine a second ago too.

I was in a bit of a rush. I realized my mistake short after.

Rolling Stone's list is good if you want to listen to old (at the time) popular music. Otherwise I wholeheartedly agree with you.
Apr 30, 2013 8:37 AM

Apr 2013
Ryssen said:

I think it's important to listen to current music so you don't get stuck in the past. Even if you think the past was 'better'. I try my best to keep up to todays music while backtracking.

I agree with you. I listen to old and current music. Even if most of today's music sucks, there's no reason you can't find music you do like.
Apr 30, 2013 8:55 AM

Jul 2012
Very rarely do I come across someone IRL that doesn't listen to mainstream trash or todays so-called "rappers".
The only oldschool person that I can think of is Bob Marley.
Konbu is important
Apr 30, 2013 9:09 AM

Apr 2013
3nvy said:
Ghostony said:
I don't listen to the beatles.. they're overrated

A wise man once said:

The fact that so many books still name the Beatles "the greatest or most significant or most influential" rock band ever only tells you how far rock music still is from becoming a serious art. Jazz critics have long recognized that the greatest jazz musicians of all times are Duke Ellington and John Coltrane, who were not the most famous or richest or best sellers of their times, let alone of all times. Classical critics rank the highly controversial Beethoven over classical musicians who were highly popular in courts around Europe. Rock critics are still blinded by commercial success: the Beatles sold more than anyone else (not true, by the way), therefore they must have been the greatest. Jazz critics grow up listening to a lot of jazz music of the past, classical critics grow up listening to a lot of classical music of the past. Rock critics are often totally ignorant of the rock music of the past, they barely know the best sellers. No wonder they will think that the Beatles did anything worth of being saved.

Hopefully, one not-too-distant day, there will be a clear demarcation between a great musician like Tim Buckley, who never sold much, and commercial products like the Beatles. And rock critics will study more of rock history and realize who invented what and who simply exploited it commercially.

Contemporary musicians never spoke highly of the Beatles, and for a good reason. They could not figure out why the Beatles' songs should be regarded more highly than their own. They knew that the Beatles were simply lucky to become a folk phenomenon (thanks to "Beatlemania", which had nothing to do with their musical merits). THat phenomenon kept alive interest in their (mediocre) musical endeavours to this day. Nothing else grants the Beatles more attention than, say, the Kinks or the Rolling Stones. There was nothing intrinsically better in the Beatles' music. Ray Davies of the Kinks was certainly a far better songwriter than Lennon & McCartney. The Stones were certainly much more skilled musicians than the 'Fab Fours'. And Pete Townshend was a far more accomplished composer, capable of "Tommy" and "Quadrophenia". Not to mention later and far greater British musicians. Not to mention the American musicians who created what the Beatles later sold to the masses.

The Beatles sold a lot of records not because they were the greatest musicians but simply because their music was easy to sell to the masses: it had no difficult content, it had no technical innovations, it had no creative depth. They wrote a bunch of catchy 3-minute ditties and they were photogenic. If somebody had not invented "beatlemania" in 1963, you would not have wasted five minutes of your time to read a page about such a trivial band.

The Beatles were the quintessence of instrumental mediocrity. George Harrison was a pathetic guitarist, compared with the London guitarists of those days (Townshend of the Who, Richards of the Rolling Stones, Davies of the Kinks, Clapton and Beck and Page of the Yardbirds, and many others who were less famous but no less original). The Beatles had completely missed the revolution of rock music (founded on a prominent use of the guitar) and were still trapped in the stereotypes of the easy-listening orchestras. Paul McCartney was a singer from the 1950s, who could not have possibly sounded more conventional. As a bassist, he was not worth the last of the rhythm and blues bassists (even though within the world of Merseybeat his style was indeed revolutionary). Ringo Starr played drums the way any kid of that time played it in his garage (even though he may ultimately be the only one of the four who had a bit of technical competence). Overall, the technique of the "fab four" was the same of many other easy-listening groups: sub-standard.

Theirs were records of traditional songs crafted as they had been crafted for centuries, yet they served an immense audience, far greater than the audience of those who wanted to change the world, the hippies and protesters. Their fans ignored or abhorred the many rockers of the time who were experimenting with the suite format, who were composing long free-form tracks, who were using dissonance, who were radically changing the concept of the musical piece. The Beatles' fans thought, and some still think, that using trumpets in a rock song was a revolutionary event, that using background noises (although barely noticeable) was an even more revolutionary event, and that only great musical geniuses could vary so many styles in one album, precisely what many rock musicians were doing all over the world, employing much more sophisticated stylistic excursions.

While the Velvet Underground, Frank Zappa, the Doors, Pink Floyd and many others were composing long and daring suites worthy of avant garde music, thus elevating rock music to art, the Beatles continued to yield three minute songs built around a chorus. Beatlemania and its myth notwithstanding, Beatles fans went crazy for twenty seconds of trumpet, while the Velvet Underground were composing suites of chaos twenty minutes long. Actually, between noise and a trumpet, between twenty seconds and twenty minutes, there was an artistic difference of several degrees of magnitude. They were, musically, sociologically, politically, artistically, and ideologically, on different planets.

Beatlemania created a comical temporal distortion. Many Beatles fans were convinced that rock and roll was born around the early 60s, that psychedelic rock and the hippies were a 1967 phenomenon, that student protests began in 1969, that peace marches erupted at the end of the 60s, and so on. Beatles fans believed that the Beatles were first in everything, while in reality they were last in almost everything. The case of the Beatles is a textbook example of how myths can distort history.

Rather than an album of psychedelic music (compared to which it actually sounds retro), Sgt. Pepper was the Beatles' answer to the sophistication of Pet Sounds, the masterpiece by their rivals, the Beach Boys, released a year and three months before. The Beatles had always been obsessed by the Beach Boys. They had copied their multi-part harmonies, their melodic style and their carefree attitude. Through their entire career, from 1963 to 1968, the Beatles actually followed the Beach Boys within a year or two, including the formation of Apple Records, which came almost exactly one year after the birth of Brother Records. Pet Sounds had caused an uproar because it delivered the simple melodies of surf music through the artistic sophistication of the studio. So, following the example of Pet Sounds, the Beatles recorded, from February to May 1967, Sgt. Pepper, disregarding two important factors: first that Pet Sounds had been arranged, mixed and produced by Brian Wilson and not by an external producer like George Martin, and second that, as always, they were late. They began assembling Sgt. Pepper a year after Pet Sounds had hit the charts, and after dozens of records had already been influenced by it.

The truth is that although it was declared an "experimental" work, even Sgt. Pepper managed to remain a pop album. The Beatles of 1967 were still producing three-minute ditties, while Red Crayolas and Pink Floyd, to name two psychedelic bands of the era, were playing long free form suites - at times cacophonous, often strictly instrumental - that bordered on avant garde. In 1967, the band that had never recorded a song that hadn't been built around a refrain began to feel outdated. They tried to keep up, but they never pushed themselves beyond the jingles, most likely because they couldn't, just as Marilyn Monroe could not have recited Shakespeare.

Sgt. Pepper is the album of a band that sensed change in the making, and was adapting its style to the taste of the hippies. It came in last (in June), after Velvet Underground & Nico (January), The Doors (also January), the Byrds' Younger Than Yesterday (february), and the Jefferson Airplane's Surrealistic Pillow (February) to signal the end of an era, after others had forever changed the history of rock music. (Several technical "innovations" on Sgt Pepper were copied from Younger Than Yesterday, whose tapes the Beatles had heard from David Crosby at the end of 1966). The uproar generated by Sgt. Pepper transferred those innovations from the American underground to the living rooms and the supermarkets of half the world.

With out a shadow of a doubt, the Beatles were great melodists, but at a time when melody was considered a reductive factor. As a matter of fact their melodies marked a regression to the 50s, to the type of singer the recording industry was desperately trying to push on the audience and against whom rock sought to rebel.

The Beatles tried every fashion exported by the US: Chuck Berry's rock and roll, the vocal harmonies of the Beach Boys, the romantic melody of Tin Pan Alley, the baroque sound of Pet Sounds (Beach Boys), the rock opera Absolutely Free (Frank Zappa), the psychedelic arrangements of the Electric Prunes and the like, the hard riffs of the blues-rock jams (Cream), the synthesis of folk-rock (launched by Dylan and the Dead), and so forth. Yet the audience credited these innovations - brought about by others - to the Beatles. All things considered, their success is one of greatest paradoxes of the century. They Beatles understood absolutely nothing of what was happening around them, but the success of anything they copied was guaranteed. By buying their records, one bought a shortcut to the music of those times.

The influence of the Beatles cannot be considered musical. Music, especially in those days, was something else: experimental, instrumental, improvised, political. The Beatles played pop ditties until the end. Rock musicians of the time played everything but pop ditties, because rock was conceived as an alternative to ditties. FM radio was created to play rock music, not pop ditties. Music magazines were born to review rock music, not pop songs. Evidently, to the kids who listened to the Beatles (mostly girls attracted by their looks), rock music had nothing to say that they were willing to listen to.

They were influential, yes, but on the customs - in the strictest sense of the word. Their influence, for better or for worse, on the great phenomena of the 60s doesn't amount to much. Unlike Bob Dylan, they didn't stir social revolts; unlike the Jefferson Airplane and the Grateful Dead they didn't foster the hippie movement; unlike Jim Morrison and Jimi Hendrix they didn't further the myth of LSD; unlike Jagger and Zappa they had no impact on the sexual revolution. Indeed the Beatles were icons of the customs that embodied the opposite: the desire to contain all that was happening. In their songs there is no Vietnam, there is no politics, there are no kids rioting in the streets, there is no sexual promiscuity, there are no drugs, there is no violence. In the world of the Beatles the social order of the 40s and the 50s still reigns. At best they were influential on the secret dreams of young girls, and on the haircuts of young nerdy boys.

The Beatles had the historical function to serve as champions of the reaction. Their smiles and their choruses hid the revolution: they concealed the restlessness of an underground movement ready to explode, for a bourgeoisie who wanted to hear nothing about it.

I'm pretty sure that some non-famous Beatles fans doesn't care about any of this. I know I don't. They may have just adapted their sound based on what was already around, but they made lots of people feel good with their music. When they came to America in 1964, the country was in mourning for JFK. With "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" spirits lifted.

They still make people feel good today. The Beatles aren't my number one favorite rock n' roll musicians (that honor goes to David Bowie), but they have inspired me and made me happy.Why should a band only be measured by their historical, political, cultural, or financial impact? Personal impact should count for something too.
BlerdGirlApr 30, 2013 9:13 AM
Apr 30, 2013 11:23 AM

Mar 2013
Talking Heads

'nuff said.

3nvy said:
that eoten be eatin the pizza pi

Does anybody know a way that a body could get away?
Apr 30, 2013 11:34 AM

Jun 2008
My brother love 80's rock
Apr 30, 2013 12:39 PM

May 2010
3nvy said:
You know nothing of rap music if you can say that with a straight face. everything that out there today is god awful.
Apr 30, 2013 1:03 PM

Apr 2011
I'm only 24 but some of you make me feel old.... In my opinion if you can't find music you like from before you were born, you either A)Don't try to find any(although I find it hard to believe you haven't heard any) or B) Aren't really all that seriously into music, or don't respect it very much.

I was born in 88. I like tons of music from before I was born, not all of it obviously. I also don't like something just because they are famous/classic or old. Some of my favorite bands/artists from before I was born are.

The Beatles
Led Zeppelin
Pink Floyd
Johnny Cash
The Velvet Underground(Lou Reed)
AC/DC
Cream(Eric Clapton)
Elton John
The Stooges
Ramones
The Rolling Stones
Jimi Hendrix
Bob Dylan
Lead Belly
Lightning Hopkins
Son House
Robert Johnson
The Yardbirds(Jeff Beck)
Queen
The Temptations
James Brown
MC5
Chuck Berry
The Clash
Grateful Dead

There's so many I can't really list them all. Also I like music like Big Band music, which is often preformed by different people rather then the same group. I didn't love most of the 80s music, but there was still a lot of good. The 80s was a lot like modern music, most of it was commercial garbage but there was some great stuff in the mix.
FintanApr 30, 2013 1:08 PM
Apr 30, 2013 1:05 PM

Apr 2011
Hydnlife said:
3nvy said:
You know nothing of rap music if you can say that with a straight face. everything that out there today is god awful.

Not "everything". I like 90s-modern rap more then most 80s rap... I don't love rap, but I like a fair amount of artists that are rap/hip hop.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Currently listening to ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsukareru - Mar 29, 2021

8599 by KitsuFrost »»
4 hours ago

» Is it ok to enjoy stories with little Lbtg representation?

Zack312 - Feb 25

42 by FanofAction »»
10 hours ago

» Post songs that you are addicted to right now ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsukareru - Apr 26

267 by Rosy_Rose »»
Yesterday, 10:32 AM

» What was the last song you listened to? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Death - Oct 1, 2020

3693 by 3miL »»
Yesterday, 4:40 AM

» good songs?

Haikyuu_ForLife - Sep 20

6 by KayKimii »»
Sep 20, 10:15 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.