Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 18, 2011 6:39 PM

Jan 2010
Now, it happens every now and then in anime where a kid gets killed, let's say 14 or younger. We don't usually care as much when a random soldier or civilian gets killed, and when a named character gets killed, it's usually emotional or badass. But what happens when a random kid gets killed on screen? Or if a named character that's a kid gets killed? Does it affect how you continue watching the anime? Do you particularly care if it happens?

I don't usually mind since if it's for the sake of the plot, I'll bear it. Doesn't help the bad feeling I get though.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Sep 18, 2011 6:44 PM

Apr 2011
I don't really care since I don't lose my grasp of reality and think an actual kid died. Same goes for any movie.
Sep 18, 2011 6:52 PM

May 2010
all those kids on naruto should die, that will hurt those narutards, then they will commit suicide.
Sep 18, 2011 6:56 PM

Apr 2011
Kazeshini said:
all those kids on naruto should die, that will hurt those narutards, then they will commit suicide.

Long live moe!
Sep 18, 2011 6:57 PM

Dec 2010
Not gonna lie, this made me laugh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1fsVx5ZFgM
Sep 18, 2011 6:59 PM

Mar 2009
Shocked said:
Now, it happens every now and then in anime where a kid gets killed, let's say 14 or younger. We don't usually care as much when a random soldier or civilian gets killed, and when a named character gets killed, it's usually emotional or badass. But what happens when a random kid gets killed on screen? Or if a named character that's a kid gets killed? Does it affect how you continue watching the anime? Do you particularly care if it happens?

I don't usually mind since if it's for the sake of the plot, I'll bear it. Doesn't help the bad feeling I get though.

I'm glad it gives you a bad feeling. That means you have not been completely desensitized by the random violence depicted in popular fiction be it anime, TV, movie, game, or written. Bless you. But the bit about not caring if a "random soldiers or civilians gets killed" bugs me. Soldiers, adults, and old people have families and dreams too. It is this sense of dehumanization that makes it easy to kill. Even when I am watching a space opera fire fight or mecha battle, I remind myself that those explosions are lives being lost and, if the story is good, keep watching. I'm not saying anyone needs to get all emotional, just remember, that's all.

Don't ask me why I'm still watching Blood-C because I really couldn't tell you at this point.
-animeS - The plural of anime is anime. More than one deer is still deer. There is no damn "s".
-epic |ˈepik| noun•a work portraying heroic deeds/adventures covering an long period of time - adjective • heroic/grand in scale or character
Active Military, Prior Service, and Veteran's Anime Club
http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=25937&time=1299710079
Sep 18, 2011 6:59 PM

Apr 2011
oh god. i fucking cringed. nvm. i take my first comment back.
Sep 18, 2011 7:02 PM

Mar 2009
Kanzaki_H_Aria said:
oh god. i fucking cringed. nvm. i take my first comment back.

Good.
-animeS - The plural of anime is anime. More than one deer is still deer. There is no damn "s".
-epic |ˈepik| noun•a work portraying heroic deeds/adventures covering an long period of time - adjective • heroic/grand in scale or character
Active Military, Prior Service, and Veteran's Anime Club
http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=25937&time=1299710079
Sep 18, 2011 7:07 PM

Jun 2008
Kazeshini said:

Err...technically, didn't they all "grow up", therefore they're not kids anymore...

Anyways, I don't really care unless it's a very little kid (5-10 years old).

Yeah, like this....that's fucked up.
Sep 18, 2011 7:08 PM

Mar 2011
notsureifsrs said:

Fuck! That freaked my bro out! T.T
EdefremSep 18, 2011 7:28 PM
Sep 18, 2011 7:12 PM

Jun 2008
^LOL man....isn't that a Higurashi avatar.....shouldn't you be used to this type of stuff.

BTW, higurashi's Rika Knife scene......REALLY FUCKED UP...

Sep 18, 2011 7:19 PM

Feb 2005
Nah, not usually. If I'm going to care at all, then the writers are going to have to make me.
Either by writing interesting and well written characters that I end up actually caring about (not very often) or at least making them cool or potentially interesting enough that I'd like to have seen more of them.

After all, people die all the time, and when I won't cry for the thousands of people that die all the time to war, famine and what have you all over the world, then I sure as hell will hardly care for fictional characters dying, unless they fall into the categories above.

But killing kids do have a certain shock value at least. In general, even deaths of poorly written and uninteresting characters can be noteworthy if it's unexpected or shocking enough. Just...so long as it doesn't seem like a cheap ploy to get a that shock effect, like, say, Blood C.
Sep 18, 2011 7:20 PM

Jun 2009
Weird.....am I having Deja vu or was a thread like this made before? I even remember that video being posted.

alexcampos said:
^LOL man....isn't that a Higurashi avatar.....shouldn't you be used to this type of stuff.

Yeah, but, considering later developments. That is like a display of ultimate badassery. I had no idea what the hell to think when I first saw this scene, though.
Ston3_FreeN7Sep 18, 2011 7:23 PM
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Sep 18, 2011 7:20 PM

Aug 2008
alexcampos said:

The scenes in Higurashi are really disturbing.

▬▬▬▬김유정 ▬▬▬▬
Sep 18, 2011 7:36 PM

Dec 2010
The only limit I have is rape. Because my opinion is that rape is worse than death. I don't wanna watch rape if I can avoid it.

I haven't seen much kids dying randomly. Shows like Bokurano, well the the characters are part of the plot so I don't mind at all.

Can't feel anything bad if an anime doe the drama the way I don't like. Example, Ano Hana/Steins Gates. I actually laughed instead of feeling sad and such.
Sep 18, 2011 7:41 PM

Jun 2008
taro_sado said:
The only limit I have is rape. Because my opinion is that rape is worse than death. I don't wanna watch rape if I can avoid it.

It's not rape if they enjoy it :D

Seriously though, that's VERY RARE, and most of the time it's something stupid...
Sep 18, 2011 7:48 PM

Apr 2011
alexcampos said:
taro_sado said:

Seriously though, that's VERY RARE, and most of the time it's something stupid...

tentancle henta- COUGH COUGH COUGH
Sep 18, 2011 7:52 PM

Mar 2009
No. Killing adults is just as bad as killing kids, so I don't see why killing kids should be considered "worse".
Sep 18, 2011 7:55 PM

Dec 2010
Kanzaki_H_Aria said:
alexcampos said:
taro_sado said:

Trust me. It's always "consensual".
Sep 18, 2011 8:05 PM

Apr 2011
notsureifsrs said:
Kanzaki_H_Aria said:
alexcampos said:
taro_sado said:

Trust me. It's always "consensual".

... I don't know what to believe since i don't watch it.

But I have to say happy tree friends (although it's more of a cartoon) is kind of gorey O_o
Sep 18, 2011 8:08 PM

Jul 2010
taro_sado said:
The only limit I have is rape. Because my opinion is that rape is worse than death. I don't wanna watch rape if I can avoid it..

This... the only thing i can't stand in any sort of media. *coughfractalecough*
Sep 18, 2011 8:19 PM

May 2010
alexcampos said:
Err...technically, didn't they all "grow up", therefore they're not kids anymore...

don't all characters age... I'm sure I was talking about "kids".
Sep 18, 2011 8:24 PM

Jun 2009
I hate to say it, however it is that old new stand by. "If it bleeds, it leads." Often times big stories lead with the death of a child, which teaches us that if a child dies it is more tragic then any other other person.

In anime, I hate for anyone to die. However, in action anime or horror anime practically relies on people to die to perpetuated the story. It is tragic and awful, however it is not real life.

Where there is no imagination there is no horror. || Arthur Conan Doyle || Happy Halloween!
Sep 18, 2011 8:39 PM

Jun 2011
Kids aren't always entirely innocent.

Sep 18, 2011 8:52 PM
Jul 2011
Don't care.
Sep 18, 2011 9:34 PM

Sep 2011
alexcampos said:

Narmy said:

well that was creepy and disturbing. that's something a child should never see. i think people who create/enjoys this kind of stuff have problems with their sanity and moral values. even if it's just a show there should be limitations.
Den-kunSep 18, 2011 9:37 PM
Sep 18, 2011 9:51 PM

Mar 2011
lisnoire said:
Even when I am watching a space opera fire fight or mecha battle, I remind myself that those explosions are lives being lost and, if the story is good, keep watching. I'm not saying anyone needs to get all emotional, just remember, that's all.

That's my biggest problem with the Transformers movies. Sure it looks cool as the robots fight on the highway, but literally hundreds of people are dying and the only person anyone seems to care about is Shia Leboeuf lol.

I don't think I've seen any kids die in an anime up to this point...might be wrong.
Harems don't exist in America. If one guy is constantly surrounded by beautiful girls, then he's probably the gay friend.
Sep 18, 2011 10:13 PM

Apr 2011
notsureifsrs said:

You have no SOUL! And neither do I! XD
But Elfen Lied had kids exploding! So I really don't get bothered by little one's destroying themselves or leading themselves to their own demise! LOLOLOLOLOL!
"Ogon’ po gotovnosti!"
Sep 18, 2011 11:32 PM

Jan 2011
alexcampos said:

First thing that came to my head when I saw this years ago:

"Ah-- that's not how you get rid of a stiff neck!"
Sep 18, 2011 11:43 PM

Sep 2010
i was about to post that elfen lied video too, only real anime ive seen kids 'die', but they deserved it anyway.

@higurashi, thats just a messed up anime.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 18, 2011 11:58 PM

Sep 2011
even if it's just a show children might accidentally watch it and probably traumatize them. seriously, shows with such disturbing content may affect viewers. only mentally sick people can enjoy those kind of stuff.
Sep 19, 2011 12:25 AM
Aug 2011
I prefer not to watch scenes with kids getting killed, whether it's in the anime, movie, or real life.
Sep 19, 2011 2:03 AM

Sep 2010
Denniz said:
even if it's just a show children might accidentally watch it and probably traumatize them. seriously, shows with such disturbing content may affect viewers. only mentally sick people can enjoy those kind of stuff.

most of these shows are pretty high on gore etc, usually rated 17+
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 19, 2011 2:47 AM

Sep 2011
Leonard93 said:
Denniz said:

most of these shows are pretty high on gore etc, usually rated 17+

yes but still, young viewers "might accidentally watch" it so i think gore stuffs shouldn't be that hard core. and this doesn't apply only to children, there are multiple cases of extreme behavior that involves teens as well. what a person see/hear/experience can affect their way of thinking and you can never tell what impact a show like that may cause to a viewer regardless of their age. no wonder violence is very common to see this days.
Sep 19, 2011 2:53 AM
Mar 2011
if Grave of the fireflies was no minors the impact would not have been so big
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Sep 19, 2011 3:21 AM
Sep 2007
Remember Berserk?
Sep 19, 2011 4:38 AM

Jul 2011
Narmy said:

this made me soooooo happy :D
The Internet is a very bad place, you should never go there.
Sep 19, 2011 4:47 AM

Mar 2009
It doesn't matter to me unless the kid is a character I like or something.
Sep 19, 2011 4:52 AM

Aug 2010
notsureifsrs said:

lol, downloadan.

As for children getting killed, I can only remember a few cases but the worst one would have to be in Requiem For The Phantom
fuck everything and rumble
Sep 19, 2011 5:01 AM
Jul 2018
Characters dying violent deaths in anime is pretty much always hillarious.
Sep 19, 2011 5:39 AM

Feb 2011
Actually I care only when a character I like dies. I don't like children neighter in real life nor in fiction so it doesn't affect me at all. Sometimes I'm even relieved when a kid was particularly annoying. Go ahead, call me a monster. I've never particularly cared for people besides my family and close friends...
Sep 19, 2011 6:37 AM

Nov 2009
notsureifsrs said:

Didnt see that coming, however the top comment on the video made me lol.
Sep 19, 2011 6:47 AM

Feb 2008

It definitely raises the tragedy level when children are killed, though depending on the show, writing and situation, it may be only a cheap plot device.

From my perspective, best show which had children dying was probably Bokurano.

Sep 19, 2011 6:53 AM

Nov 2008
Don't really care if it's random or an annoying character. Beats rape anytime, plus no one pays attention to it unless it's a named character.

Sep 19, 2011 7:04 AM

Aug 2010
One of the best moments in Baccano is when Ladd blows off Chezlaw's head. Granted, it doesn't stick...
Sep 19, 2011 7:07 AM

Aug 2011
Sep 19, 2011 7:15 AM

Jul 2011
It's funny how most people freak out when they see a kid (named or random) die, but when they see a random person die they go all like "meh.."
I mean, what's the difference? Just like Baman said, old people have dreams too.
Besides, it's fiction. There's no reason to go crazy over a fictional character. Then why don't you cry over every kid that dies everyday?

Denniz said:

yes but still, young viewers "might accidentally watch" it so i think gore stuffs shouldn't be that hard core. and this doesn't apply only to children, there are multiple cases of extreme behavior that involves teens as well. what a person see/hear/experience can affect their way of thinking and you can never tell what impact a show like that may cause to a viewer regardless of their age. no wonder violence is
very common to see this days.

You're talking like every person that has seen these "disturbing things" have been traumatized. Most people aren't that weak-minded.
Like a 8-year old kid would go rent a movie or buy a game that 17+. It does happen, but that's because the parents doesn't care what their children see or hear.

Oh, and that's a stupid reason to blame on the violence these days. It's already been proven that video games, movies a TV can't affect so drastically.
Sep 19, 2011 7:25 AM

Jul 2010
usually doesn't matter unless its something irl. =/

Sep 21, 2011 3:33 PM
Aug 2011
Well, let's face it: we live in a world where things like that happen everyday so, why keep it away from fictional works? I don't see anything particularly wrong with it at all. It's shocking sometimes (I'll never forget when lucy, from elfen lied, killed kouta's little sister. It was gruesome, a little "overdone" maybe, but worst things happen with children everywhere). And, if someone feels offended by it, it's simple... just stop watching the thing.
Sep 21, 2011 3:40 PM

Dec 2010
KeiranShikari said:
lol, downloadan.
I'm probably too late, but don't bother. The rest of the anime is disappointing.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Animes you wish had dubs?

Mattenan - 12 hours ago

17 by DreamingBeats »»
11 minutes ago

» I don't understand why shoujo is so much more shunned than all other demographics. ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Fario-P - Apr 27, 2023

313 by SgtBateMan »»
18 minutes ago

» why are women being so unseen as audience ? ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ame - Oct 13

243 by AppleIceCream »»
22 minutes ago

» anime sites with closed captions for dub?

Demeter-san - 34 minutes ago

0 by Demeter-san »»
34 minutes ago

» Upcoming Dubbed Anime ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kenny_Stryker - Dec 17, 2017

9464 by anime-prime »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.