Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 24, 2022 6:18 AM

Dec 2021
what makes a show "Mid" quality in your eyes ?

is it asspulls ?

random un-explained power-ups?

plotholes just for the sake of keeping the story going?

a need to be edgy and different from "popular" viewpoints?

-----
to me , what makes a show Mid is its generic level

if its so average , nothing about it stands out at all

it speaks on tropes that's already been done better .. uses characters with little to no emotional impact

an absolute 5/10 .. nothing better , and not necessary anything worse (which I would label "trash"

what makes a show "Mid" level to you ?
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Apr 24, 2022 6:23 AM

Aug 2016
Something that doesn't do anything remarkably well, but doesn't really do anything bad either, it just exists.
Who are you and why do you show your hostility towards a complete stranger whom you've not once spoken with before. Are you seriously asking to get blocked? Well, if that's what your intent is; to tempt me into throwing hands with someone as lowly and insignificant as you, then i may grant your wish provided you articulate yourself a bit better when trying to spite a person of my wavelength.
Apr 24, 2022 6:26 AM

Jun 2016
I don't know. I don't even use that word.
I find it weird though that even though this word is clearly derived from "middle" or "mid tier" most of the time I see it used as a stand in for plain bad.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Apr 24, 2022 6:28 AM

Aug 2020
'Mid' is the same as 'middle' or 'average' in my opinion. In other words, 'mid' just refers to something of average quality.

γ€Œ 𝕂𝕖π•ͺ π•₯𝕙𝕒π•₯ π•™π•šπ••π•–π•€ π•₯𝕙𝕖 𝕗𝕠𝕣𝕔𝕖𝕀 𝕠𝕗 π••π•’π•£π•œπ•Ÿπ•–π•€π•€, 𝕀𝕙𝕠𝕨 π•žπ•– π•ͺ𝕠𝕦𝕣 π•₯𝕣𝕦𝕖 π•—π• π•£π•ž 」

Apr 24, 2022 6:29 AM

Mar 2020
kushmonatl said:

it speaks on tropes that's already been done better .. uses characters with little to no emotional impact

an absolute 5/10 .. nothing better , and not necessary anything worse (which I would label "trash"

So a “mid show” for you is a mid show?…

Jan 2022
not too good, not too bad...
A good example is Kimetsu no Yaiba

Nov 2014
Very common is that I am neither excited nor dread to see the episode.
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Apr 24, 2022 6:33 AM

Dec 2015
Something which is interesting and boring at the same time.

Examples:
11eyes.
Plunderer
Kimi to Boku no Saigo no Senjou, Aruiwa Sekai ga Hajimaru Seisen
Tsuujou Kougeki ga Zentai Kougeki de Ni-kai Kougeki no Okaasan wa Suki Desu ka?
Apr 24, 2022 6:34 AM

Jan 2021
Nowadays, popular series are mid.
Its just people who cant find a valid argument to genuinely criticize a show, they end up calling that show mid.
For eg Midtsu kaisen, Mid Slayer, Mid x Mid, Mid alchemist brotherhood, Aot is mid etc.
If you enjoyed the time you wasted, then its not a waste of time.

Apr 24, 2022 6:37 AM

Oct 2018
It is an anime that you'll forget about it 2 days after you finished
If you're a fanboy, please don't waste my time.

Watch more movies, please.

Kafka, Fu Xuan, Jingliu, Topaz and Huohuo.
Apr 24, 2022 6:47 AM
Apr 2022
Mid is just plain average anime, or I would say mediocre .
Apr 24, 2022 6:48 AM

Sep 2020
It's ok but nothing too special or memorable about it.
Apr 24, 2022 6:57 AM

Dec 2021
Tendo_GM said:
kushmonatl said:

So a “mid show” for you is a mid show?…

lol is this a play on words ?

KIOSHI_17 said:
not too good, not too bad...
A good example is Kimetsu no Yaiba

I can absolutely see Demon Slayer being Mid tier too some people's eye ..

stellar animation .. but story wise its kinda blah been there done that

-Ryu said:
Something that doesn't do anything remarkably well, but doesn't really do anything bad either, it just exists.

Eziprez said:
'Mid' is the same as 'middle' or 'average' in my opinion. In other words, 'mid' just refers to something of average quality.

Phosphophyllita said:
It is an anime that you'll forget about it 2 days after you finished

yep that's my definition too ....

Theo1899 said:
I don't know. I don't even use that word.
I find it weird though that even though this word is clearly derived from "middle" or "mid tier" most of the time I see it used as a stand in for plain bad.

... but I've seen it used this way aswell

people say shows are "mid" but give it 1 star and say its top tier trash status
Apr 24, 2022 6:59 AM

Dec 2021
FZREMAKE said:
Its just people who cant find a valid argument to genuinely criticize a show, they end up calling that show mid.
For eg Midtsu kaisen, Mid Slayer, Mid x Mid, Mid alchemist brotherhood, Aot is mid etc.

lol I just came from a thread that called Code Geass "Code Mid"

ngl I caused a uproar the other day because I said MHA is Mid Hero ..

but I gave examples why , (generic , average af , largely forgettable )
Apr 24, 2022 7:12 AM

Sep 2021
Mid is anything I rate 5 or 6 out of 10. Stuff that bores me for most of its runtime but still has something I like.
Apr 24, 2022 7:20 AM

Jun 2017
It's entertaining and has no inherent flaws but also nothing great or that makes it stand out.
My waifu is the most wonderful waifu. Mai Valentine.
Apr 24, 2022 7:21 AM

Apr 2020
As a person who likes most action and characters, I define mid as an anime who is mainly carried by art and animation, like Jujutsu Kaisen. I tried so hard to like the story and characters but I don't give a damn about them.

So, basically a show that you watch because there's some hype on it. It's ok to finish because it's pleasant to the eyes, but most of the time you're bored because plot and characters are not interesting.
Imagine how boring this world would be without Japan - a comment at youtube
Apr 24, 2022 7:22 AM

Feb 2021
I don't like to use the word. It's better to use the word average.
Apr 24, 2022 7:24 AM

Apr 2011
Someone just watched the latest Gigguk's video, amirite?
Apr 24, 2022 7:24 AM

May 2021
According to my rating system, "mid" is anything I rate at 5 or 6 out of 10. Stuff that is bad, but not for dropping to completely average but watchable shows.
●
●
●
Apr 24, 2022 7:25 AM

Mar 2021
If I can only watch 1 or 2 eps at a time before getting bored then it's a mid anime
Apr 24, 2022 7:41 AM

Jul 2021
A show that starts to get boring after the first few eps because it doesn't have anything special.
Apr 24, 2022 7:45 AM

Mar 2018
Mid=(definition...) A mediocre person who is using the word "Mid" to describe the quality of something because of a lack of comprehension and understanding regarding the subject in question, something that results in poor criticism or the complete absence of it because the mediocre person doesn't have or/and can't use solid arguments backed by exemples in order to present a personal opinion.
In this case, the word "Mid" becomes just a word without real value used just to donwgrade the quality of the object, usually a product of media that tells a story (Movie/Tv Series, animated series/manga/novel etc), making the mediocre lazy person who can't present solid arguments and doesn't like the concerned object feel better for it's own opinion...
!!!Which is why, only a person can pe "Mid" because the subject that is criticised can only be "mediocre" if that is the case backed by solid arguments explaining why that it....
Apr 24, 2022 8:16 AM
Jul 2021
Mid= Jujutsu Kaisen and My Hero Academia
Apr 24, 2022 8:22 AM

Jan 2021
kushmonatl said:
FZREMAKE said:

lol I just came from a thread that called Code Geass "Code Mid"

ngl I caused a uproar the other day because I said MHA is Mid Hero ..

but I gave examples why , (generic , average af , largely forgettable )

Yup this word is just thrown into the title of a show too make it sound like we are dissing a series. Honestly I think people can not like popular anime for genuine reasons but calling it mid seems like a new trend here and of course people will be mad at it.
If you enjoyed the time you wasted, then its not a waste of time.

Apr 24, 2022 8:45 AM

Dec 2018
i consider jujutsu kaisen cuz the animation is average, the characters are average, the setting is average and the story is average.the only worse thing about jjk is the fanbase that considers it as masterpiece bruuuuuuh
If you rated Jujutsu Kaisen a 10/10, then your opinion is not valid.

AOT>FMAB
Apr 24, 2022 8:45 AM
Jul 2021
Nothing. I'm allergic to that word...
Apr 24, 2022 8:46 AM
Jan 2021
It’s nothing so technical, if I barely enjoy the show or think about dropping it then I rate it a 5, which is mid. Mid doesn’t equate to being bad, but of course, being in the middle
The right mindset when watching an anime is hoping that it will break your top 10
Apr 24, 2022 8:46 AM

Jul 2021
In my rating system it either has similar amounts of positives and negatives that I can't really say it's good or bad; or it's just plain and boring with nothing pushing it up or down on my scale.
Apr 24, 2022 8:50 AM

Feb 2021
It means middle. That would be like calling something 5/10
Apr 24, 2022 8:52 AM
Nov 2019
i define "mid" as something that doesn't particularly excel at anything.

like, most shounen.

important side note: mid refers to the quality of a show and has NOTHING to do with enjoyment. i enjoy isekai even though almost all of them are dogshit. similarly, you can still enjoy mid shows. (just don't say that they're good)
Apr 24, 2022 8:55 AM

Sep 2008
"Mid" for me would be middle of the road. I wouldn't necessarily hate it, but the title either does something not too out of the ordinary like other titles within its genre or demographic or has some major flaws that, while not making it unwatchable, are pretty noticeable to spot and does impact my perception of the series to a good degree.
Apr 24, 2022 8:57 AM

Jul 2007
Mid was a term invented by scholars to define Chainsaw Man.
β˜†β˜†β˜†
"There's a huge difference between one and infinity.
However, compared to the difference between
existence and non-existence, one and infinite are
nearly the same. I am the child destined to become
the best witch... no... The greatest Creator in the world...!"
-Maria Ushiromiya
β˜†β˜†β˜†

Apr 24, 2022 8:58 AM

Sep 2018
It’s mid unless it’s not mid. Hope this helps!
Apr 24, 2022 9:01 AM

Sep 2021
So basically, you go about making a tier list, starting from stellar (best fate) to appalling (worst fate). All Fates go in top tier and everything else can be ranked beneath. The term 'mid' is comparing every show to Fate and the lesser it resembles, the more 'mid' it is.

Apr 24, 2022 9:01 AM
Jul 2018
I never use it. "Mid" is just another way of saying "average" to me. I define anything that's average, or a 5/10, as something that's neither good nor bad.
Apr 24, 2022 9:02 AM

Jan 2013
If It's indoor grown but still is hella untrimmed, dark, or dry, and usually still selling for around $10 a G despite these faults. Even more so if your buddy or cousin grew it and keeps promising you that it's dank, and that he knows what he's talking about because he grows. You still get high off it, but it's rough and taste like dry grass, and you think 'I could have gotten better for cheaper at the dispo', but he's your buddy, so 'fuck it'. That's a hardcore suburban 'mids' vibe.

OH YOU MEAN ANIME
ChandelaApr 24, 2022 9:20 AM
Apr 24, 2022 9:29 AM

Jun 2021
Mid - is used to form nouns or adjectives that refer to the middle part of a particular period of time, or the middle point of a particular place. Something that is in the middle of ...

Use vocabulary man
Apr 24, 2022 9:30 AM
Jul 2018
Nothing, it's the dumbest trend word.
Apr 24, 2022 9:41 AM

Feb 2020
I don't use words like "mid".

If u are talking about my 5/10 shows then it probably just uninteresting and mildly disliked show. Probably might have concluded well or something. But I don't really care about them much and may mildly dislike them overall
Click for a anime mashup!
BIO
Still not gone bandwagon u, keep crying. Here u are welcome to CRINGE at my EXISTENCE

Apr 24, 2022 10:10 AM

Feb 2020
mid means for me just mediocre.

so actually nothing very negative.

you can watch it, its nice, but not the best shit ever.

Apr 24, 2022 10:30 AM

Jan 2021
A show that does and says absolutely nothing new. (This includes characters, settings, themes, plot, conflict, and resolution.) Often times even the animation is stiff.

I find the most common mid shows to do these two things.
The show uses generic characters that never go beyond their one character trait.

If the show does say something, its often something the audience has heard before, because of other better shows they've watched or because the lesson is so rudimentary its obvious.

Mid shows are harmless but one could argue they are a waste of time when you could be watching a better written/animated show.
Apr 24, 2022 11:43 AM

Oct 2021
something that doesnt do anything incredibly bad but is able to make me feel nothing,.
Apr 24, 2022 9:30 PM

Aug 2018
Mid≠Bad

Mid shows usually have some sort of enjoyable element to them. However, a boring story, bad characters, bad writing, and lack of innovation usually bring these otherwise good shows down to the level of mid
Apr 25, 2022 1:36 AM

Oct 2020
A show that i don't like but don't hate either. Basically just a show that has nothing special about it.
Apr 25, 2022 1:54 AM

Jan 2021
To me it means Meh, not enough to excite you, not enough for you to hate it.
dabdabgooseApr 25, 2022 2:04 AM
Apr 25, 2022 2:29 AM

Apr 2015
For me it is just ok.

Like finish a series and give 5 or 6. I didn't hate, but there was nothing special. Forgettable
Apr 25, 2022 12:29 PM

Oct 2021
Anything I don't like is mid in my opinion
Apr 25, 2022 1:29 PM
May 2020
Doesn’t do anything to evoke its artistic uniqueness as a story. Mid isn’t bad it’s just normal
Apr 25, 2022 1:41 PM

Sep 2007
TheFireNinja said:
I never use it. "Mid" is just another way of saying "average" to me. I define anything that's average, or a 5/10, as something that's neither good nor bad.

Same as it's term I've never heard/seen used for anime till now, but I'll unlikely use that term over average.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» I am praising the anime industry in general (a short topic where I'm sharing my personal thoughts).

9765 - Yesterday

10 by 9765 »»
2 minutes ago

» First look at "THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE WAR OF THE ROHIRRIM" Anime Film. ( 1 2 3 )

Old_School_Akira - Jun 11

128 by TheMechaManiac »»
4 minutes ago

» show me your anime 3x3 ( 1 2 3 4 )

707supremacist - May 5

152 by Zarutaku »»
16 minutes ago

» Hottest Adult Characters in anime? ( 1 2 )

RedTea33 - May 27

50 by Archean-Return »»
25 minutes ago

» MAL Clubs

Ryzenn11_ - 48 minutes ago

2 by Catalano »»
35 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.