3It was OK
9.4%
2Disliked it
1.8%
1Hated it
2.8%
Average 4.4
965 votes
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Oct 16, 2023 9:51 AM

Jul 2017
From a student to the maid of her crush, Rae's having an absolute blast of her time.

For Rae to even have a chance to beat Prince Rod at chess, it's just because of her games that she's just simply used to it. That said, Claire is learning how to play chess also, and Prince Yu dropped by to give her some advice. A change of game to poker and adding Misha along, both her and Yu have the childhood friend embodiment, while the game is played with cunningness. Back to work, and Prince Thane is playing the harp, but Claire's action just made the casual playthrough progress drop. Rae's alternative: the King's Game, and it's a game that the royalty don't get, but Rae is just having a lot of fun together with Lene, obviously yet another rigging of the game to get both Prince Thane and Claire together.

Rae ordering both Thane and Claire to kiss each other, of course it's not for real, and it's a test to see if he's got the prowess to be a king. Misha just so happened to pop the question if Rae is "gay", and even if Claire is straight, her actions tell another story, and that tells the prejudices of being lesbian (in this case), which Rae obviously loves Claire, but Claire is also pointing at Thane's direction and will gladly support her. Sure, Rae has her episodes, but even her Yuri love for Claire is doubted by the general public.

I'm legit surprised that they handled that kind of taboo conversation well. Still though, Rae will keep on annoying Claire for the rest of her life.
Oct 16, 2023 10:00 AM

Feb 2020
Rae sure knows how to tease people. :P

That discussion about Rae being gay was quite interesting.

SerafosOct 16, 2023 11:20 AM
Oct 16, 2023 10:05 AM

Mar 2021
Rae is such a savage when teasing people I really liked when she cheated in the Kings game to Help Miss Claire
Oct 16, 2023 10:12 AM

Jan 2021
This is such a great anime, I absolutely love it. The pacing is perfect for this anime, the episode felt like it lasted for hours of enjoyment.
I just really enjoy the dynamic between the two characters, Rae and Claire.
Thanks for the meal.
Oct 16, 2023 10:34 AM
Sep 2015
This anime is not that great, but by admitting that the lead character is gay, this anime is far braver than all those gay-bait anime.
Oct 16, 2023 10:43 AM

Sep 2011
So glad that they had the discussion about Rae's sexuality. Not that they should have to, because it was obvious, but you always get some people who are in denial. Or people who would say "she's not gay, she's just clairesexual!" Nope, sorry, she's gay. It was very refreshing.
Oct 16, 2023 10:43 AM

Mar 2013
I never expected this show to even straight up call its lead gay, let alone have such a genuinely sincere conversation about what it's actually like to be gay in school when every girl you like is straight. That scene made me tear up, ngl. Extremely relatable content.
Oct 16, 2023 10:57 AM
Jun 2020
Great episode. It's a shame they actually acknowledge such subjects will attract some hate of ignorant people here.
Oct 16, 2023 11:07 AM

Sep 2018
Wow. I'm not used to the topic of non-heteronormative sexuality being handled in such a raw, unfiltered and honest manner in anime, but I really appreciate the fact that this story wasn't afraid to go there. Exposure to different kinds of identities in media is such an important thing: just the simple fact that the main character was willing to educate her friends by having an open, informative discussion about how she experiences love as a lesbian was enough to bring me genuine joy.
Oct 16, 2023 11:12 AM
Sep 2023
ohh I really liked the discussion they had towards the end of the episode. I've never really seen anything like that in a shojo ai. (I like her acknowledging her behavior has probably been offputting lol..) but Rae refuting the "oh you like Claire because you don't care about someone's gender" to say "no I like women I am attracted to women just like straight people are attracted to the opposite sex" was amazing. also the "no one has ever reciprocated my feelings" ogh my heart I really feel that. The incredibly isolating experience of being gay. Openly displaying her love for Claire is probably so freeing.

I love KENN as Rod. the affection levels and event flags are funny. girl if I was isekai'd into an otome I'd have extreme difficulty not thirsting after the female friend characters. and I also love ojou-sama characters. female rivals soooo good.
Oct 16, 2023 11:22 AM
Dec 2021
This episode broke my heart, how sweet the 2 of them are, I love this series.
Oct 16, 2023 12:03 PM
May 2023
This anime Is getting funnier every episode. The discussion about homosexuality was pretty interesting, i Hope to see more discussions like that
Oct 16, 2023 12:11 PM

Dec 2021
This episode is packed with gaming, reminiscent of season 0 of Yu-Gi-Oh.

Claire's fiery pout and Misha's intense blue flames reflect Rei's contagious love and passion, even extending to a shared enthusiasm for beef bowls—a sentiment I can totally relate to.

And let's not underestimate the power of headpats!

Oct 16, 2023 12:17 PM

Jun 2023
Yuri-tastic great funny episode
Oct 16, 2023 12:28 PM
Jun 2021
i fucking love this omk
Oct 16, 2023 1:06 PM
Aug 2021
From the tone of the show, I was NOT expecting such a transparent discussion to take place. Even the exposure from all sides of the conversation, even the homophobic ones, was done tastefully (up until Claire exploded on the randos, but it was understandable in context). I am gleefully surprised. Well done.
Oct 16, 2023 1:32 PM
Jan 2016
taking about homosexuality
Oct 16, 2023 1:43 PM

Aug 2021
stage one: denial
Oct 16, 2023 3:23 PM
Jun 2023
This might be my favorite show this season so far. The discussion bear the end was handelled well and as a dub enjoyed and think the VAs did a great job. The discussion has to be one the best portrayals of what it means to be be as well as how people who are gay are sometimes treated by others and was pretty depressing knowing that as being gay is a minority most people won't reciprocate her love
Zact99Oct 16, 2023 3:26 PM
Oct 16, 2023 3:48 PM

Nov 2016
Claire is so friggin tsundere. Not standing up for Rae my ass. It was for her as well.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Oct 16, 2023 3:54 PM

Jul 2016
The serious talk about homosexuality sure took me by surprise. You usually don't see such topics being addressed in such direct way in anime. Props to the episode.
Oct 16, 2023 4:05 PM
Deadhead

Dec 2018
I especially enjoyed the parts with the princes in this one, I like how each one had a different game associated with them, the best one tho was definitely Prince Thane and the King’s Game lol, I gotta give it to Rae for attempting to get Thane and Claire closer, it worked briefly with that headpat but Thane saw through the guise sadly, it was nice while it lasted tho.

And I know a lot of people really liked the conversation about whether Rae is gay or not which also kinda revealed her backstory, and I did kinda like this scene but the fact they made it seem like Claire reacted badly because of prejudice left a bad taste in my mouth, I think it was a perfectly fine reaction giving how Rae has been so over the top about her love for Claire up to this point, they done Claire dirty here imo. I will also say tho, I did like how they didn’t sugarcoat the discussion, Misha just asks straight up like the “why are you gay” meme and I did find that kinda refreshing whether it was handled well or not lol.
Oct 16, 2023 4:18 PM
Apr 2021
Anime straight up told me to not be homophobic
Oct 16, 2023 4:47 PM
Jul 2023
Not a bad episode. Thought it was also funny that Misha basically asked "Are you gay, why are you gay". Excited for the next episode since it looks like less consequential hijinks are starting up again.
Oct 16, 2023 4:58 PM
Aug 2022
I feel like this episode was a subtle look into how Rae and Claire’s relationship will be later on in the show.

I found the discussion about rae’s sexuality kinda interesting and it’s actually really sad that Rae is smiling and joking around to mask the pain of not having her feelings reciprocated. I find that kind of thing really sad as you can hide many different types of pain through a smile.

On a brighter note I love how this show is literally taking place inside a video game and it really shows through the interactions and how Rae analyses a lot of those interactions.

Great episode with nice development between the mc’s. It’s super sad to see Rae having to hide her pain through smiling and joking about.
Oct 16, 2023 5:38 PM
May 2022
Zact99 said:
This might be my favorite show this season so far. The discussion bear the end was handelled well and as a dub enjoyed and think the VAs did a great job. The discussion has to be one the best portrayals of what it means to be be as well as how people who are gay are sometimes treated by others and was pretty depressing knowing that as being gay is a minority most people won't reciprocate her love

In context it just felt a bit odd since nobody should be surprised that Rae is gay if they have been listening to her. Plus she has been acting like a complete creep so I kinda don’t blame Claire for her reaction. I get what they were going for it just felt awkward with how the characters had been portrayed up until this point. Plus Rae saying that every time she tells someone she loves them they grow distant (can’t remember the actual wording) so now I’m confused why she kept telling Claire this. To be fair we could still get more about Rae’s insecurities and how they really manifest in the way she is acting towards Claire moving forward it just doesn’t make any real sense learning that this is an anxiety of hers where we’re currently at.

Everything about that scene just felt awkward. I think they could’ve handled it better like in the final scene of episode 2 where it felt like the walls between Rae and Claire were naturally starting to break down. I did want some explanation for why Rae was helping Claire romance Thane and whether or not this was sincere and what this means for how she views Claire but it’s like they just speedran all the character development and threw it into this scene. Feels like we got robbed of a season long plot thread they could’ve worked more with alongside wherever we’re headed with the story next.

Also, are her and Misha best friends? I thought that in episode one she said they were just roommates but in this one I think she said they were best friends. Am I just crazy and misremembering this or was that a weird shift in their relationship?
FelsunOct 16, 2023 6:24 PM
Oct 16, 2023 5:43 PM
Jan 2014
This anime doesn't have the most original or interesting plot, but gotta respect how they handled the gay aspect and the way girls support each other. I even teared up a bit
What a season full of (good) surprises!
Oct 16, 2023 6:12 PM

Nov 2021
That conversation was handled so well. So far this anime is shaping up to be really great I can't wait for more
Oct 16, 2023 6:31 PM
Apr 2022
like they said, even if Claire spilt her tea over those girls because of her own self guilt, it made me fuzzy inside for some reason lol

Though, I thought they wouldn't haven't a conversation serious like that. I thought it would be just Rae harassing Claire the whole anime until the last part where they fall in love. Wonder where it goes from here , loving it so far though 10/10
Oct 16, 2023 6:48 PM

Jun 2014
"Miss Claire, how would you feel if a man told you, "Don't molest me?"
"But what you said to Rae a moment ago was the same sorta thing."

??????????

What in the gaslight what this shit?
Claire is LITTERALLY getting sexually harrassed and stalked by Rae the entire time, and she's supposed to just take it because... Rae is gay?
Bro what...

Oct 16, 2023 7:00 PM

Jul 2022
i certainly wasn't expecting an analysis of the romantic struggles and prejudice that queer people face this episode, but i'm certainly not complaining
Oct 16, 2023 7:57 PM
Jun 2023
DrAkiMakura said:

??????????

Claire is LITTERALLY getting sexually harrassed and stalked by Rae the entire time, and she's supposed to just take it because... Rae is gay?
Bro what...

She wasn't talking about that line that Claire said, she was talking about the "I sense that I'm in danger" part just because Rae is gay, implying that she thinks that Rae would molest Claire. Sure Rae is very forward and open towards Claire but i'm sure as hell that Rae would never actually do anything to cross a huge line like that. You say stalked yet they go to the same school and she's her maid so she has to keep an eye on Claire tf... and SA, if I remember right the most Rae's done is hugged onto Claire and held her hand that's it. Plus Rae rigged the King's game just to get Claire and Thane closer, if Rae really wanted to she could've had Claire and her kiss instead.
LosTakeoverOct 16, 2023 8:00 PM
Oct 16, 2023 8:08 PM
Nov 2022
What the hell happened? It all started like the comedy it is, in fact I laughed at the beginning but...
In the end it became super serious, they touched on the topic of prejudices and sexuality in such a serious and mature way that it even seemed like another series, let's be clear that it is not a complaint, on the contrary, I loved that enormous detail but simply I was surprised.
Oct 16, 2023 9:53 PM

Jan 2013
Reply to LosTakeover
DrAkiMakura said:

??????????

Bro what...

She wasn't talking about that line that Claire said, she was talking about the "I sense that I'm in danger" part just because Rae is gay, implying that she thinks that Rae would molest Claire. Sure Rae is very forward and open towards Claire but i'm sure as hell that Rae would never actually do anything to cross a huge line like that. You say stalked yet they go to the same school and she's her maid so she has to keep an eye on Claire tf... and SA, if I remember right the most Rae's done is hugged onto Claire and held her hand that's it. Plus Rae rigged the King's game just to get Claire and Thane closer, if Rae really wanted to she could've had Claire and her kiss instead.
@LosTakeover Yeah, but this is just garbage writing. I'm pretty sure that I'm being gaslighted right alongside Claire, because I laughed out loud at what seemed like an obvious joke set up, only to watch that segue into a lecture on bigotry. According to the prior narrative, before this abrupt and disorienting tonal shift, there's more than enough justification for Claire's reaction. Claire has been exasperated by Rae's actions, but she hasn't believed them to be real, both because Rae is a girl and she's insanely over the top. It seems plausible to me that she would be nervous and uncomfortable upon realizing everything was actually true, especially when we factor in that, when viewed realistically, Rae has acted in many ways that are inappropriate, that we previously laughed off, because it was funny watching the villainess get her comeuppance, and blush adorably, of course. It feels like that segue was way too heavy-handed and contradictory, given the previous themes and atmosphere of the show.

I have nothing against the sentiment, but that entire conversation felt wildly out of place and horribly executed.
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Oct 16, 2023 10:10 PM

Sep 2021
Following a classic (Yuri) route, it seems WataOshi also starts a real plot after a bunch of great comedy. It was really good though! Rare to see sexuality being discussed in anime or manga.

I wonder what kind of painful memores Rae has of her past life. There are probably a bunch. And now her first excitement over her reincarnation wares off and she's starting to worry about, well, actually living in the Otome Game.
Oct 16, 2023 10:11 PM

Jan 2013
Reply to DrAkiMakura

??????????

Bro what...

@DrAkiMakura Got to say, I never expected something this woke to come out of an anime. It straight up gaslights one character, despite her comedic reaction being 100% justified, and then has another character start saying some shit about how gender doesn't matter when it comes to love and that the person Rae fell in love with just happened to be a girl, because they wanted to directly attack the argument of people who try to delegitimize a girl/girl pairing. Those entire 5 minutes felt completely out of context for what came prior, like we're just hearing a lecture on gay rights with these characters as mouth pieces.

The LN is widely loved in LGBT circles, and with this type of pandering, I can certainly see why.
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Oct 16, 2023 10:15 PM

Feb 2013
Wow, was not expecting such a tactful deconstruction of gender/sexuality - a little ham-fisted, but still a hell of a lot more respectful than I'd ever come to expect of anime.

I do agree with some notions above that its timing was a bit odd given Rae's behaviour, I don't think the veil of comedy entirely excuses it.
Yet beyond that it was even used as reason to impress immediate character growth (or a step towards it) which is interesting to see utilised through a topic like this.

I'm kind of impressed.
Oct 16, 2023 10:19 PM

Nov 2018
Reply to LostSpectre
@LosTakeover Yeah, but this is just garbage writing. I'm pretty sure that I'm being gaslighted right alongside Claire, because I laughed out loud at what seemed like an obvious joke set up, only to watch that segue into a lecture on bigotry. According to the prior narrative, before this abrupt and disorienting tonal shift, there's more than enough justification for Claire's reaction. Claire has been exasperated by Rae's actions, but she hasn't believed them to be real, both because Rae is a girl and she's insanely over the top. It seems plausible to me that she would be nervous and uncomfortable upon realizing everything was actually true, especially when we factor in that, when viewed realistically, Rae has acted in many ways that are inappropriate, that we previously laughed off, because it was funny watching the villainess get her comeuppance, and blush adorably, of course. It feels like that segue was way too heavy-handed and contradictory, given the previous themes and atmosphere of the show.

I have nothing against the sentiment, but that entire conversation felt wildly out of place and horribly executed.
LostSpectre said:
Claire has been exasperated by Rae's actions, but she hasn't believed them to be real, both because Rae is a girl and she's insanely over the top. It seems plausible to me that she would be nervous and uncomfortable upon realizing everything was actually true, especially when we factor in that, when viewed realistically, Rae has acted in many ways that are inappropriate, that we previously laughed off, because it was funny

That was precisely the point, though. Rae's acted over-the-top the whole time up til now to make it be a joke, because being too serious would force her to face rejection seriously and cause her to be unable to be near Claire anymore. But, she was plainly asked and so she plainly answered that she knows Claire doesn't reciprocate her feelings; that doesn't keep her from wanting Claire to be happy. To be -more- nervous after someone has told you that implies that you don't believe them; that you expect them to behave irrationally.
Oct 16, 2023 10:26 PM
Lilium Gardener

Jul 2011
This episode was glorious! Just when you think there was going to be a typical anime, poor taste, sexuality themed reaction/joke...BAM! Hit the viewers with some truth! I already see several in this thread can't handle the truth, haha. No surprise there.

Anyway, Claire taking up for Rae and spilling her drink on the gossip girls was equally glorious. Even if it was out of anger/shame like her friend stated. Good stuff.
Oct 16, 2023 10:31 PM

May 2015
Rae's experience in finding love has left her with her own defenses around her heart. The reason behind her hamming up the smitten crush act is completely understandable. I'm glad this anime was able to approach the topic with grace, let alone at all!
Oct 16, 2023 10:47 PM

Jan 2013
Reply to MiaAyende
LostSpectre said:
Claire has been exasperated by Rae's actions, but she hasn't believed them to be real, both because Rae is a girl and she's insanely over the top. It seems plausible to me that she would be nervous and uncomfortable upon realizing everything was actually true, especially when we factor in that, when viewed realistically, Rae has acted in many ways that are inappropriate, that we previously laughed off, because it was funny

That was precisely the point, though. Rae's acted over-the-top the whole time up til now to make it be a joke, because being too serious would force her to face rejection seriously and cause her to be unable to be near Claire anymore. But, she was plainly asked and so she plainly answered that she knows Claire doesn't reciprocate her feelings; that doesn't keep her from wanting Claire to be happy. To be -more- nervous after someone has told you that implies that you don't believe them; that you expect them to behave irrationally.
@MiaAyende That doesn't quite track. Rae's previous actions aren't a "joke", she makes them loud and over the top and doesn't try to be real about them because she fears rejection, but her feelings are still real, what she's saying is true. So, Rae admitting to be being a lesbian makes her feelings and actions real to Claire, and the comedic set-up seemed obvious, Claire is visibly uncomfortable and turning away slightly, and Rae obliviously inquires if something is wrong, to which Claire has a comedic outburst about sensing she's in danger, but Claire didn't get the memo that this was the lecture portion of the show, so they segue into an overbearing monologue on bigotry.
Oct 16, 2023 11:31 PM
Aug 2023
I'm here for the isekai, otome, and comedy, not so much the yuri, but I don't mind it. I've been finding this whole anime 5/5 so far because I really adore the characters of Rae and Claire, and their antics. However this serious discussion that Misha bluntly just brought up, I did not like, and I think it would have been better left unsaid.

The biggest reason I don't like it is because it's a massive tone switch that didn't work that well, it was jarring. I loved the fun not-so-serious and sincere stuff in the show before this, I didn't like the serious stuff because it seemed to damage more than help. The serious stuff felt massively preachy like all the other preachy crap coming out of Hollywood, albeit still better done here than by Hollywood. I actually find it insulting to the character that Rae has to define herself as gay; I liked Rae for being Rae, not for being gay. It's exactly like what the maid tried to say about how "falling in love with the person, not the gender, and that person she fell in love with happens to be a woman", but Rae says it's not the case. It's the case here for me with what I'm saying, I like character for the character, not only for some sub-characteristic of being gay. That whole serious conversation seemed like they were boiling down the characters to their sub-characteristic which I find irrelevant and insulting compared to their whole character.

Then the show seemed to go down a path where they were trying to make Rae look a like victim, and her history was filled with regret and misery specifically because of this sub-characteristic alone. An almost contradiction to how strong, determined, and resilient she's been shown to be up until now. It's like they're okay with damaging her character just to ram home she's gay thus has had it hard. I guess she can't be gay and have it easy, or be unaffected by it (as it had looked until this point).

Luckily though it seems like the show was able to recover from this serious talk by just so happening to have some smack talkers show up for Claire white knight on. And the show seemed to indirectly say everything is going back to how it was, by having Rae telling Claire to just treat her as she always has, and getting confirmation from her that "she still despises her". I really do hope the show goes back to normal so I can just ignore this scene happened, I really don't want this show devolving into some preachy Hollywood show.

Also I'm not liking Misha, not only did she initiate all this, but her constant disapproving attitude makes me think she's going to turn into a backstabber. Perhaps she's going to take the role of Villainess/Antagonist after Rae tames Claire out of it.
Oct 16, 2023 11:42 PM

Jan 2013
Reply to Garrett_Dark
I'm here for the isekai, otome, and comedy, not so much the yuri, but I don't mind it. I've been finding this whole anime 5/5 so far because I really adore the characters of Rae and Claire, and their antics. However this serious discussion that Misha bluntly just brought up, I did not like, and I think it would have been better left unsaid.

The biggest reason I don't like it is because it's a massive tone switch that didn't work that well, it was jarring. I loved the fun not-so-serious and sincere stuff in the show before this, I didn't like the serious stuff because it seemed to damage more than help. The serious stuff felt massively preachy like all the other preachy crap coming out of Hollywood, albeit still better done here than by Hollywood. I actually find it insulting to the character that Rae has to define herself as gay; I liked Rae for being Rae, not for being gay. It's exactly like what the maid tried to say about how "falling in love with the person, not the gender, and that person she fell in love with happens to be a woman", but Rae says it's not the case. It's the case here for me with what I'm saying, I like character for the character, not only for some sub-characteristic of being gay. That whole serious conversation seemed like they were boiling down the characters to their sub-characteristic which I find irrelevant and insulting compared to their whole character.

Then the show seemed to go down a path where they were trying to make Rae look a like victim, and her history was filled with regret and misery specifically because of this sub-characteristic alone. An almost contradiction to how strong, determined, and resilient she's been shown to be up until now. It's like they're okay with damaging her character just to ram home she's gay thus has had it hard. I guess she can't be gay and have it easy, or be unaffected by it (as it had looked until this point).

Luckily though it seems like the show was able to recover from this serious talk by just so happening to have some smack talkers show up for Claire white knight on. And the show seemed to indirectly say everything is going back to how it was, by having Rae telling Claire to just treat her as she always has, and getting confirmation from her that "she still despises her". I really do hope the show goes back to normal so I can just ignore this scene happened, I really don't want this show devolving into some preachy Hollywood show.

Also I'm not liking Misha, not only did she initiate all this, but her constant disapproving attitude makes me think she's going to turn into a backstabber. Perhaps she's going to take the role of Villainess/Antagonist after Rae tames Claire out of it.
@Garrett_Dark Yeah, the LN is apparently a pretty well known work in LGBT circles, I wouldn't have pegged a story with a girl borderline (or maybe outright) sexually harassing the villainess to end up with such a ham-fisted, overbearing display of woke-ness, but here we are. That scene doesn't even remotely feel like the same show, it's like the characters were just being used as mouthpieces for the author's pro-LGBT agenda at the expense of the work itself. The more I think about it I just hate that they not only took something so silly and ridiculous and tried to turn it into something this serious and mature, I'm pretty sure they even used Claire's outburst as a joke set-up, only to subvert that into a lecture, because how dare you find that funny, despite everything Rae has done to her. lol

Yeah... I'm going to try and pretend that scene never happened and hope the show just goes back to being a wacky GL comedy.

Oct 17, 2023 1:01 AM
Aug 2023
Reply to LosTakeover
DrAkiMakura said:

??????????

Bro what...

@LosTakeover
Misha is gaslighting Claire...

Rae: I mean I guess. If it means I like girls, then yeah. I've never been in love with a guy before. Hey you don't look so good, what's the matter?
Claire: I'm sensing that I am in danger, that's what!
Misha: That's not fair, I understand you might be leery of Rae given how she often behaves, but Miss Claire, to react that way just because she's gay, it says more about your ignorance than her character. I'll explain, lets says as an example you are straight.
Claire: I am straight Misha!
Rae: and you're madly in love with Prince Thane aren't you?
Claire: You're the one who mad love me!
Misha: Rae, the jokes aren't helpful! So tell me Miss Claire, how would you feel if a man came up to you and said "don't molest me"?
Claire: What!? I would never conduct myself in lecherous manner!
Misha: Of course you wouldn't, and yet you basically accused Rae of the same thing, you said you were in danger.
Rae: Yeah, you so right Misha, it doesn't work like that, no one lusts after everyone who fits their gender preference (blah blah blah...)

...Claire isn't acting that way ("I'm in danger") because just because Rae's gay, but how Rae often behaves towards Claire on top of being gay. Claire says she would not act in a lecherous manner, and Misha then says she "basically accused Rae of the same thing", that is because Rae is often behaving in a lecherous manner towards Claire. There is a conflation of lecherous (which Rae is doing) with molesting (which Rae is not doing), that's the gaslighting here, Claire is not wrong here, but Misha is. Then Rae is wrong to say Misha is "so right", and wrong to go off on her spiel about "people don't lust for everybody who fits their gender preference" because that's not what Claire was saying. Claire was not saying just because Rae is gay she is lusting towards Claire, Claire is saying Rae is lecherous towards her and she is gay, thus is uncomfortable because she's sensing she's in danger. In danger of what? Likely more lecherous behavior (which Rae has already done), Claire unlikely meant molestation because that wasn't wrongfully injected by Misha yet when Claire said she's sensing she's in danger.

This whole mess started because of Misha asking if Rae is gay (which really isn't any of her business, nor appropriate where and how it went down IMO), then it devolves into Misha gaslighting Claire, then gaslighting Rae into agreeing that Claire did something wrong (when she didn't), and causing Rae to go into her spiel that just makes things worse. How does it make things worse? Rae wants Claire to treat her as she's always have before, she desperately asks Claire if she "hates" her which is a sign things can go back to how they were. Which means what Misha caused was for things to go in the opposite direction from what Rae really wants. Misha even stopped Rae from joking saying it wasn't helpful, no it would have been helpful to defuse things at that time. Claire threw tea on the girls bad mouthing Rae, that (violence) wouldn't have happened if Misha didn't gaslight Claire into thinking she was wrong.
Oct 17, 2023 1:11 AM
Jun 2014
Reply to LostSpectre
@Garrett_Dark Yeah, the LN is apparently a pretty well known work in LGBT circles, I wouldn't have pegged a story with a girl borderline (or maybe outright) sexually harassing the villainess to end up with such a ham-fisted, overbearing display of woke-ness, but here we are. That scene doesn't even remotely feel like the same show, it's like the characters were just being used as mouthpieces for the author's pro-LGBT agenda at the expense of the work itself. The more I think about it I just hate that they not only took something so silly and ridiculous and tried to turn it into something this serious and mature, I'm pretty sure they even used Claire's outburst as a joke set-up, only to subvert that into a lecture, because how dare you find that funny, despite everything Rae has done to her. lol

Yeah... I'm going to try and pretend that scene never happened and hope the show just goes back to being a wacky GL comedy.

@LostSpectre If you're the sort of person to unironically use the terms "woke-ness" and "pro-LGBT agenda" as if the basic premise of treating people with respect is some kind of negative, then this is absolutely not the anime for you and you're best off dropping it now and giving it a 1. If all you want is a "wacky GL comedy" that offers nothing more than surface level yuri antics there are countless other anime out there that satisfy that.
Oct 17, 2023 1:38 AM
Aug 2023
Reply to LostSpectre

@LostSpectre

Claire's outburst of "I'm sensing I'm in danger" is actually an amusing line that's in-line with her character, but Misha's deadpan serious response to it killed the humor. She sucked all the fun out of the scene, and even told Rae to stop making jokes. Misha in that moment felt like one of the activists or people who take a cause way too seriously that demands others to take it just seriously as they do, others are not allowed to joke about it nor joke around to lighten up the atmosphere. I really do hope it turns out Misha is the antagonist, and this isn't some injected pandering somebody decided to put in all willy-nilly.

I wonder if anybody can confirm the subs and the Japanese dialog was the same? I watched the English dub, and I've heard in the past that sometimes the dubs would inject woke-ness which doesn't even match the original dialog. Something about Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid, which I haven't watched. But I suppose if this is "a pretty well known work in the LGBT circles", it might have been intentional from the start. Can anybody confirm if this scene was in the source material?
Oct 17, 2023 1:59 AM
Jun 2014
Reply to Garrett_Dark
@LostSpectre

Claire's outburst of "I'm sensing I'm in danger" is actually an amusing line that's in-line with her character, but Misha's deadpan serious response to it killed the humor. She sucked all the fun out of the scene, and even told Rae to stop making jokes. Misha in that moment felt like one of the activists or people who take a cause way too seriously that demands others to take it just seriously as they do, others are not allowed to joke about it nor joke around to lighten up the atmosphere. I really do hope it turns out Misha is the antagonist, and this isn't some injected pandering somebody decided to put in all willy-nilly.

I wonder if anybody can confirm the subs and the Japanese dialog was the same? I watched the English dub, and I've heard in the past that sometimes the dubs would inject woke-ness which doesn't even match the original dialog. Something about Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid, which I haven't watched. But I suppose if this is "a pretty well known work in the LGBT circles", it might have been intentional from the start. Can anybody confirm if this scene was in the source material?
@Garrett_Dark Yes, this scene was in the source material. In fact, this scene was small fry in terms of various subjects the source material deals with - it will not shy away from tackling stuff that will get fans of the term "woke-ness" in a spin. If you're offended by being directly told that prejudice ain't ok, instead of something subtle enough that you can ignore and headcanon away, drop it now and save yourself the mental anguish.
Oct 17, 2023 2:05 AM
Apr 2017
Reply to Garrett_Dark
@LostSpectre

@Garrett_Dark yes, it is in the source material
Oct 17, 2023 2:28 AM
うまぴょい伝説

May 2017
Misha reprimands Claire for being cautious of Rei for being gay, though considering Rei's proactive harassment of her, Claire is probably justified in this case.
Oct 17, 2023 2:30 AM

Oct 2007
surprised when Claire got angry at those two mean girls. Looks like she is a nice person after all.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Watashi no Oshi wa Akuyaku Reijou. Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

IzanaSolos - Nov 13, 2023

68 by Baskarite »»
May 18, 3:33 PM

Poll: » Watashi no Oshi wa Akuyaku Reijou. Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

KANLen09 - Nov 27, 2023

61 by PureElusion »»
May 1, 9:58 PM

Poll: » Watashi no Oshi wa Akuyaku Reijou. Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

KANLen09 - Dec 18, 2023

156 by Muow »»
May 1, 12:35 AM

Poll: » Watashi no Oshi wa Akuyaku Reijou. Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

KANLen09 - Oct 23, 2023

69 by keynutil »»
Apr 18, 5:00 AM

Poll: » Watashi no Oshi wa Akuyaku Reijou. Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

AkeZZZ - Oct 30, 2023

67 by AngelTomori »»
Mar 24, 12:10 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.