Twitter and it's consequences had been a disaster for the human race
Sep 25, 2015 3:04 PM

Dec 2012
Sep 25, 2015 3:05 PM

Jan 2008
Fault
Sep 25, 2015 3:05 PM

Jul 2012
Not gonna be a fair poll considering some of them like Major or Initial D aren't as watched as the others :/

My vote goes to Major for being a great sports anime, but not because it's a good show. If we're talking about the best show, my heart goes to Chihayafuru and Oofuri.
Sep 25, 2015 3:06 PM

Apr 2015
ViolettSky said:
Free!dom.
Sep 25, 2015 3:07 PM
Jul 2018
Where is Teekyuu?!
Sep 25, 2015 3:07 PM

Feb 2013
Hajime no Ippo
If only Slam Dunk had a full adaptation with some faster pacing here and there
It would be my favorite, (but I still loved the anime regardless)
Sep 25, 2015 3:15 PM

Jul 2013
• Chihayafuru was addicting as fuck but it fell off in the sequel despite getting more screentime for Wataya. It's like the show tried to rival Naruto Shippuden in the number of flashbacks and it wasn't better when they were about some minor characters that only appeared for like an episode or 2.
• Haikyuu!! is really good. I got really attached to the characters over the course of the series and it was really fun to watch them play and pull off some crazy tricks.
• Ping Pong has the best characters in all of the sports anime I got to watch. In this case it was more than just about the sport since it focused a lot more on the players than in any of the other series. The soundtrack really got me hyped for the games.
• Baby Steps was okay. Slow pacing really made this hard to enjoy even though the MC was fast at learning the sport. I'll also never forget that CGI for the mob characters.
• Yowamushi was almost as addicting as Chihayafuru but it just got ridiculous in the second season. Really slow and when they started to pull off some pseudo super powers it just got stupid and a hassle to get through.
• Free! had some okay characters and drama. The swimming was fun to watch especially with KyoAni's high production value and the special episode in the second season was amazing.
• Ace of Diamond has a huge cast and easily one of the most intense sports anime I got to watch. The end of the summer tournament left me breathless and the second season has been getting better and better over the last few episodes because the opponents have gotten more interesting to watch.

So if I've hard to order them:

• Ping Pong
• Ace of Diamond
• Haikyuu!!
• Chihayafuru
• Free!
• Yowamushi Pedal
• Baby Steps

I've watched a bit of Slam Dunk and Initial D on TV but not enough to have an opinion on them. As for what is left on that list, I'm looking forward to watching Ashita no Joe, Hajime no Ippo and Cross Game.
Sep 25, 2015 3:17 PM

Jul 2014
Ashita no Joe, hands down.
Sep 25, 2015 3:18 PM

Jun 2014
I'm really getting into sports anime, but chihayafuru was something really special to me personally. I even showed it to my mum and she loved it! it's an amazing anime.
Sep 25, 2015 3:20 PM

Jul 2012
• Baby Steps was okay. Slow pacing really made this hard to enjoy even though the MC was fast at learning the sport. I'll also never forget that CGI for the mob characters.

I started off really loving this show but it got slightly...too technical at one point. I'm struggling to understand the techniques in tennis that Maruo talks about while playing.
• Ace of Diamond has a huge cast and easily one of the most intense sports anime I got to watch. The end of the summer tournament left me breathless and the second season has been getting better and better over the last few episodes because the opponents have gotten more interesting to watch.

One of the better shows, although it's really slow... as in some matches take up to 10 episodes and it's not very consistent overall.
• Yowamushi was almost as addicting as Chihayafuru but it just got ridiculous in the second season. Really slow and when they started to pull off some pseudo super powers it just got stupid and a hassle to get through.

Yeah, same. Arakita saved second season from being completely ridiculous.
Sep 25, 2015 3:22 PM

Apr 2015
From the ones I've seen I'd say haikyuu was the most enjoyable and with the best characters, with knb and slam dunk in second place. I also absolutely LOVED one outs but I wouldn't really consider it a sports anime as much as it is a psychological mind game anime, so I personally can't compare it to the rest
Sep 25, 2015 3:24 PM

Jul 2012
Raz1515 said:
From the ones I've seen I'd say haikyuu was the most enjoyable and with the best characters, with knb and slam dunk in second place. I also absolutely LOVED one outs but I wouldn't really consider it a sports anime as much as it is a psychological mind game anime, so I personally can't compare it to the rest

One outs is great except the anime is not conclusive at the end and overall, there's not much of a message to it.

I agree, Haikyuu!! is one of the most enjoyable with the best cast, including antagonists like Nekoma and Aobajōsai.
Sep 25, 2015 3:24 PM

Oct 2014
Teekyuu and Ro Kyu Bu are my favourites (I don't really watch sports anime).
Sep 25, 2015 3:28 PM

Apr 2015
slam dunk
Sep 25, 2015 3:30 PM

Apr 2015
mayukachan said:
Raz1515 said:

One outs is great except the anime is not conclusive at the end and overall, there's not much of a message to it.

True but I read the manga after where the anime left off so maybe that's what made me satisfied, but it would've been great if they actually continued the anime as well
I agree, Haikyuu!! is one of the most enjoyable with the best cast, including antagonists like Nekoma and Aobajōsai.

Exactly, the show made me love the other teams almost as much as the main team as well
Sep 25, 2015 3:31 PM

Jul 2013
mayukachan said:
I started off really loving this show but it got slightly...too technical at one point. I'm struggling to understand the techniques in tennis that Maruo talks about while playing.

I agree. It needed less talking and more actions, too much explaining can get annoying. This is something that I liked in Diamond no Ace, it explains some of the terms and plays through showing and for the harder stuff you would have the journalist and his assistant explaining it.

mayukachan said:
One of the better shows, although it's really slow... as in some matches take up to 10 episodes and it's not very consistent overall.

That's the reason I had trouble keeping up in the first season but some of the scenes in a game can sometimes make up for it.
Sep 25, 2015 3:40 PM
Nov 2014
From the poll above, it's either AnJ or Touch from me. Ippo is great as well. I actually haven't seen most from the poll, but Air Gear is absolutely shite.
Sep 25, 2015 3:40 PM

Jan 2015
Hajime no Ippo....I mean really, Takamura is one of the best characters out there.
Big Order (TV):great anime or greatest anime?
Sep 25, 2015 3:44 PM
Apr 2015
Those who haven't seen Cross game have missed the best sports anime. If you want an anime with feels. Check it out. One of the most underrated animes of all time
Sep 25, 2015 3:47 PM

Oct 2012
Sep 25, 2015 4:02 PM

Jun 2014
Cratusg said:
Those who haven't seen Cross game have missed the best sports anime. If you want an anime with feels. Check it out. One of the most underrated animes of all time

I don't wanna see some melodramatic shit, I wanna see metrosexuals going at each other with testosterone filled action.
All credit goes to Sacred.
Sep 25, 2015 4:08 PM

Jan 2015
FireEmblemIke24 said:
Cratusg said:

I don't wanna see some melodramatic shit, I wanna see metrosexuals going at each other with testosterone filled action.
I don't want to see metrosexuals going at each other with testosterone shit. I want to see melodramatic shite
Twitter and it's consequences had been a disaster for the human race
Sep 25, 2015 4:09 PM

Sep 2013
Major.
Made me care for a sport that I don't give a shit before.
Goro <3
Sep 25, 2015 4:15 PM

Jun 2014
Remv_quevav said:
FireEmblemIke24 said:

I don't want to see metrosexuals going at each other with testosterone shit. I want to see melodramatic shite

The melodrama is there, it's when the MC's team loses in horrific fashion and you see the despair on the kids' faces. You don't need anything else.
All credit goes to Sacred.
Sep 25, 2015 4:20 PM

Mar 2014
I loved all the sports anime i watched, but ippo is the one i think is the best
Sep 25, 2015 4:24 PM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
Hajime no Ippo definitely.

Most exciting sports anime ever made, with excellent OST that I've listened to repeatedly because they are somewhat addicting.

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Sep 25, 2015 4:24 PM

Apr 2013

BY FAR, Next question
It is so dense. Every single image has so many things going on.
Sep 25, 2015 4:28 PM

Mar 2014
RayAdha said:
Hajime no Ippo definitely.

Most exciting sports anime ever made, with excellent OST that I've listened to repeatedly because they are somewhat addicting.
Yeah man ippo is the shit

Btw who is that girl in your avatar
Sep 25, 2015 4:28 PM

Jul 2014
I voted KnB because I'm pretty much obligated to at this point, but I'd like to make a case for Free! just because.

To me Free! doesn't get enough respect as a sport anime. Beyond the fanservice.... which is really just guys in performance swimwear and that's something people will watch for hours on end every 4 years..... Free! is a phenomenal story. The uncertainty of the future lurks in the back of many a high schooler's mind is an extremely relatable theme and is something most sport anime never get near. So many people have looked at others finding their way or at the very least finding a means while they get left behind as the end of the protected high school life draws near. It's a theme that lets the tone shift from very happy to extremely dark whenever that reality attempts to set in and you can believe that Haru would get that sinking feeling in his gut when he's reminded of it.

Sport is always used in real life as means of educating life lessons, an escape from the rest of reality, and something to pass the time. In most entertainment media sport is often used to communicate those same life lessons and to inspire with an underdog story. But Free! uses sport differently, it's characters are people you can find participating in any sport club or team, it uses a traditionally solo sport to bring all of those people together and shows them growing as people with the help from everyone around them. Free! realistically could have replaced swimming with just about anything else, but the amount of time spent during the meets gives just enough action, suspense, while giving certain characters the "drive" or means for their development. Everything about it just worked amazingly well.
Sep 25, 2015 4:36 PM

Sep 2014
Major, because Major is the best sports anime there is.

I think baseball is the most boring ass sport to watch ever, but Major's take on it was amazing. It actually made me appreciate a sport that I never would've enjoyed.

Then I would say Hajime no Ippo, the first season was the better of the 3 seasons. Although takamura's fights were so amazing.

Then Eyeshield 21 because it was such a fun watch.(Although the show's pattern was really annoying, and the author just kept creating bullshit scenarios and ass pulls for other characters.)

I'm mehhh on prince of tennis.

And slam dunk... I kind of gave up on it 81 eps in. Slow pacing is slow. The red haired main character never really gets good... :/? Also I heard the ending to be inconclusive. I loved the comedy tho.
Sep 25, 2015 4:36 PM

Mar 2012
No Captain Tsubasa = Fail poll.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Sep 25, 2015 4:38 PM

Mar 2014
I feel like prince of tennis doesn't get enough respect
Sep 25, 2015 4:49 PM

Aug 2014
VivaLaGin said:
Kruzy said:

• Ping Pong has the best characters in all of the sports anime I got to watch

while the main guy is special, every other character in ping pong can be found in many other sports animez. (they just look different)

true.

NeoAnkara said:
No Captain Tsubasa = Fail poll.

^
Sep 25, 2015 4:49 PM

Jun 2011
The lack of Hikaru no Go is offensive, but I gotta give you some credits for including Oofuri, Baby Steps, Air Gear, Over Drive, and many other older series.

Based off your list, I would rank them as such :

1. Ookiku Furikabutte
2. Baby Steps
3. Eyeshield 21
4. Air Gear
5. Ping Pong the Animation
6. Cross Game
7. Major
8. Chihayafuru
9. Overdrive
10. Initial D
11. Touch
12. Prince of Tennis
13. Free
14. Kuroko no Basket
15. Yowamushi Pedal
16. Ace of Diamond
17. Haikyuu

Series I kind of dropped/indefinitely on-hold:
Hajime no Ippo
Slam Dunk
Inazuma Eleven
One Outs

Haven't watch:
Ashita no Joe
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Sep 25, 2015 4:51 PM

Apr 2014
Haikyuu!! is my favorite, free! and Kuroko no Basket come right after it.
Sep 25, 2015 4:58 PM

Jul 2012
Also, ES21 is great. Not the anime, but the manga has one of the best art I've ever seen in ANY manga. It's dynamic, rich, detailed and crisp - just the way any sports manga should be.

Cratusg said:

I love Cross Game, but it's weak in the sports aspect. It's literally one kid with a super fast fastball beating all the other teams.

Waifusexual said:
I feel like prince of tennis doesn't get enough respect

It's unrealistic and lengthy. I dunno. People on this site don't give credit to the unrealistic shows like KnB and PoT

ibear said:
I voted KnB because I'm pretty much obligated to at this point, but I'd like to make a case for Free! just because.

To me Free! doesn't get enough respect as a sport anime. Beyond the fanservice.... which is really just guys in performance swimwear and that's something people will watch for hours on end every 4 years..... Free! is a phenomenal story. The uncertainty of the future lurks in the back of many a high schooler's mind is an extremely relatable theme and is something most sport anime never get near. So many people have looked at others finding their way or at the very least finding a means while they get left behind as the end of the protected high school life draws near. It's a theme that lets the tone shift from very happy to extremely dark whenever that reality attempts to set in and you can believe that Haru would get that sinking feeling in his gut when he's reminded of it.

Sport is always used in real life as means of educating life lessons, an escape from the rest of reality, and something to pass the time. In most entertainment media sport is often used to communicate those same life lessons and to inspire with an underdog story. But Free! uses sport differently, it's characters are people you can find participating in any sport club or team, it uses a traditionally solo sport to bring all of those people together and shows them growing as people with the help from everyone around them. Free! realistically could have replaced swimming with just about anything else, but the amount of time spent during the meets gives just enough action, suspense, while giving certain characters the "drive" or means for their development. Everything about it just worked amazingly well.

I fully agree with you.
MayukaSep 25, 2015 5:03 PM
Sep 25, 2015 5:01 PM

Jul 2011
I like Ping Pong and all, but my vote(and heart) goes to Ashita no Joe!
Sep 25, 2015 5:02 PM

Dec 2014
Hajime no Ippo
Haikyuu!!
Air Gear
Sep 25, 2015 5:19 PM

Oct 2012
mayukachan said:

It's unrealistic and lengthy. I dunno. People on this site don't give credit to the unrealistic shows like KnB and PoT
The special moves in the beginning of PoT were nice and cool like the twist serve, but hundred episodes later they started to throw tornadoes at each other which I found extremely ridiculous and the matches weren't enjoyable at all.
Sep 25, 2015 5:27 PM
Dec 2013
Hajime no Ippo, the first season, for me.
Slam Dunk would be the best, if it actually ended.

I don't consider Initial D as "sports", sure, is Car Racing, but the way it flips it, makes it almost not sportsmanlike(sp?)

But is definetely the first in animation, at least back then, and kinda holds today, had the best car shots ever.

jayss said:
mayukachan said:

The special moves in the beginning of PoT were nice and cool like the twist serve, but hundred episodes later they started to throw tornadoes at each other which I found extremely ridiculous and the matches weren't enjoyable at all.

I think it happens in most shows, that characters have like some special moves, but yeah in PoT, it went from Tennis looking matches, to pure Combat/Action
Sep 25, 2015 5:31 PM

Jul 2012
jayss said:
mayukachan said:

Good for comedy, at least~ I found the unrealistic matches enjoyable sometimes. It's just lazy writing though.
Sep 25, 2015 5:32 PM

Jan 2011
Can't pick, tied between a lot of anime:

Major
Slam Dunk
Eyshield 21
Haikyuu
Sep 25, 2015 5:34 PM

Jan 2011
jayss said:
mayukachan said:

Actually, it's much worse than that, we got players that can take away your senses.

In the "New Prince of Tennis" anime, there is a player who's ability is the ability to kill his opponent through tennis.

Also, Ryouma's Drive B is a an ass-scratching move.

Oh good old PoT

At least it didn't feel like the authors were serious about it, they were probably laughing with us.
Sep 25, 2015 5:34 PM

Feb 2015
1. Haikyuu!! - my favorite sports anime. It's just great though I'm not really into volleyball. Great cast, intense matches, Hinata-Kageyama duo, just love it.
2. Kuroko no Basket. Amazing anime, great characters and story. And also masterpiece animation and openings. Hating it at beggining but at the end of 1st season began to love it. Matches were wonderful, never got bored watching them.
3. Ping Pong, great and very diffrent from other sports anime. Good psychological content and story.
4. Slam Dunk. Currently I'm at 80 ep. Really liked it, it'd like it more if pacing would be better, damn, one match takes 7 episodes, it's boring. I love everything about this anime expect matches. Story is damn good, characters lovely. This anime made me laugh so hard at times, especially at the beginning. Pity pacing is so slow.
Sep 25, 2015 5:36 PM

Jul 2014
Prince of Tennis is supposed to be crazy and above all else fun.
Sep 25, 2015 5:38 PM
Apr 2013
Baby steps for realism
Hajime no Ippo for impact
Cross Game for characters
Ping Pong for uniqueness
Haikyuu for action
Chihayafuru for entertainment
Sep 25, 2015 5:42 PM

Jan 2011
mayukachan said:

In a way, an unrealistic sports anime is just a lack of connection between the authors and the sport they are writing about. With enough passion and knowledge for a sport, there are many interesting aspects about the sport you can write about that is in the realistic realm or at least close to it (e.g. Major's gyroball). PoT started off with the likes of twist serve, which is why it was quite good in the beginning but it just sortof become a joke later on.

KnB was quite consistently unrealistic, albeit not as much as PoT (in its latter half). It all comes down to the fact that these are real sports, and being a story that could relate to the real actual sport is definitely a plus.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» The problem with most modern anime (spoilers for some series)

Ebb1993 - Yesterday

30 by Zarutaku »»
4 minutes ago

» Adventure/Action Shounen with the Best and Worst ROMANCE (just the ones that even tried)

Rob7 - Yesterday

16 by Rob7 »»
5 minutes ago

» Anime as good as Evangelion/Utena?

Thecutedog - 5 hours ago

9 by Absurdo_N »»
7 minutes ago

» Can people who pirate anime be considered anime fans? What do you think? ( 1 2 )

RainyEvenings - Sep 10

82 by Dienen »»
8 minutes ago

» How I started a fight. By saying let's fight Naruto is Goat!

Ken__Kaneki__Kun - Sep 19

22 by Zettaiken »»
12 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.