Forum Settings
Forums
New
Which do you prefer?
Only subs - original audio is best.
45.9%
Mostly subbed, some dubbed.
29.7%
Only dubbed - I like it in my native language.
2.3%
Mostly dubbed, some subbed.
8.0%
Both subbed and dubbed equally.
11.5%
Raw.
2.6%
2,442 votes
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (63) « First ... « 47 48 [49] 50 51 » ... Last »
Aug 16, 2010 8:20 AM

Jul 2009
IDex said:

I meant that if I watch anime that's not dubbed and watch it subbed, then I watch dubbed anime then subbed then dub... etc. Both languages sound funny at start and it takes about an episode to get used to. That's one of the main reasons I watch sub only (since every anime has one)

Yeah, I'll give you that, it's rather hard to readjust.

IDex said:
Often the director picks the sounds he thinks work best with the anime. And still... it's just sometimes.

It's usually not perfect though. Sometimes they'll have to settle with being as close as possible. I'm sure that the director often feels the same way when making an anime that takes place in a largely English setting. There's also adaptations of various manga/light novels, where the original author often does not have a large stake in selecting VAs.

IDex said:
Yeah but it's mostly only anime that appeals to larger audience are dubbed.

Often enough anime with a rather small fanbase here are picked for dubs. Many of FUNimation's shows are rather obscure, yet they still do dubs for all of their DVD releases.
Aug 16, 2010 10:17 AM

Dec 2008
DeuceB said:
Leonzs said:
DeuceB said:
Usually subs for me. I sometimes look at the VA list before I watch a show and then watch maybe an ep or 2 in both sub and dub to determine which I like more. There have only been three shows where I can watch them both in sub and dub and love them both. Other than those three, it is usually pretty obvious which I like more.

Curiously what do you think of the BlazBlue dub?

It is hit or miss on some of the characters. Noel, Hakumen, Litchi, and Jin are pretty well done, although I like them in Japanese more. The rest are either decent or do not work for me. I played CT at the start with dubs because I didn't know you could change the language. Once I found out you could, I switched immediately. I play CS in Japanese as well.

Btw Hazama in english is horrid compared to Japanese. Makoto is decent, Japanese is superior though.

Hazama is the only character i'd entirely switch to japanese for. Compared to the japanese his englis is just.....No. It doesn;t capture the troll we all know, and love.

I'm actually surprised by Jins Jap being better to you, the english voice just captures his psychotic, and cold persona well, the brother thing...Not so much. His VA also voices Hakumen, but Haku always sounded alot older to me in the Jap dub.

The only two that I 100% prefer over the Japanee version (There mostly equal besides Haza, and Tager.) are Noel, and Ragna. Noel just sounds more to character, and stronger in the dub, and Ragna's japanese sounds like he loses interest sometimes.
Aug 16, 2010 10:39 AM
Jul 2018
Leonzs said:
DeuceB said:
Leonzs said:
DeuceB said:
Usually subs for me. I sometimes look at the VA list before I watch a show and then watch maybe an ep or 2 in both sub and dub to determine which I like more. There have only been three shows where I can watch them both in sub and dub and love them both. Other than those three, it is usually pretty obvious which I like more.

Curiously what do you think of the BlazBlue dub?

It is hit or miss on some of the characters. Noel, Hakumen, Litchi, and Jin are pretty well done, although I like them in Japanese more. The rest are either decent or do not work for me. I played CT at the start with dubs because I didn't know you could change the language. Once I found out you could, I switched immediately. I play CS in Japanese as well.

Btw Hazama in english is horrid compared to Japanese. Makoto is decent, Japanese is superior though.

Hazama is the only character i'd entirely switch to japanese for. Compared to the japanese his englis is just.....No. It doesn;t capture the troll we all know, and love.

I'm actually surprised by Jins Jap being better to you, the english voice just captures his psychotic, and cold persona well, the brother thing...Not so much. His VA also voices Hakumen, but Haku always sounded alot older to me in the Jap dub.

The only two that I 100% prefer over the Japanee version (There mostly equal besides Haza, and Tager.) are Noel, and Ragna. Noel just sounds more to character, and stronger in the dub, and Ragna's japanese sounds like he loses interest sometimes.

Yeah the english version of him isn't good at all.

Jin is good in english I just think he sounds better in japanese. It's just personal preference. I like to think its the suit that does that for H-Man.

Noel is the best out of all the english dubs. I think that the japanese and english dubs of her almost sound like the same person, just different language. I don't like either of Ragna's dubs, I'm not really a fan of the character either. That's just me though.
Aug 16, 2010 12:08 PM

Jun 2008
IDex said:
- Only retards and five year olds who can't read use dubs

Wow. What are you, 12? What if I said "Only weeaboo elitist assholes who have the retarded mindset that Japanese dialogue with subtitles is always better avoid dubs at all costs?"

- Way more anime can be found subbed rather than dubbed (and some of the best aren't dubbed)

A sub vs dub argument really should only be about shows that are already dubbed. Sure, more things being subbed than dubbed is an advantage to being primarily a sub fan, but not an advantage for subs themselves.

- Chances of finding good sub are greater than good dub

Not at all. When you have multiple fansubs doing the same show, I often find it more of a hassle to find the best one than to just find the dub, and as stated these days the dub is usually good.
Aug 16, 2010 1:47 PM

May 2010
IDex said:
Subs definitely.
- Original sounds as it's meant to sound
- Only retards and five year olds who can't read use dubs
- Way more anime can be found subbed rather than dubbed (and some of the best aren't dubbed)
- It's annoying to change the language all the time. Sounds weird and takes time to get used to.
- Chances of finding good sub are greater than good dub

Let's suppose that only retards and five-year-olds use dubs. Now we take into consideration your fourth point. You say dubs sound weird. You must have seen a dub or two to draw that conclusion, right? So, in all actuality, you just called yourself retarded and/or a five-year-old.

Moving on from that.
- Who cares about how it's "supposed to sound?" If a dub is ultimately at the same quality, better, or even just good, then why does it matter?
- Just NO.
- What is your point here? The availability of a sub or dub does not change the quality of it.
- I'm not sure what you mean by "change language all the time," but is it really that weird? If you started watching in dub and then watched the sub, would the sub be weird?
- Not really. There can be lots of different subs and unless you speak the language you won't know which is correct (This). Or, the only available sub could be obviously off (Supposing this is the only sub you could find). However, even if a dub translation isn't the best, it's often going to sound accurate enough. As far as voices go, it all depends.
Aug 16, 2010 3:05 PM

Jul 2008
voice acting in english always sound unnatural, sometimes overdramatized. It's not the sort of thing you'd find in a conversation if you were put in the same situation. Since we don't know what sort of japanese sounds natural, we take it for granted that what we hear it is natural and hence prefer it.
Or that's what i think.

For a japanese person, the japanese might sound unnatural as well, but i don't speak japanese.

Aug 16, 2010 5:25 PM

Feb 2010
IDex said:

Only retards and five year olds who can't read use dubs

I have a dyslexic friend who finds dubs useful because he doesn't have to pause anime to read subtitles, especially with anime that contains a lot of fast-paced dialogue, like Hetalia. He's obviously smarter than you are, since he wouldn't base an argument on such idiotic grounds.
novalisAug 16, 2010 5:33 PM
Aug 16, 2010 5:31 PM
Sep 2008
I am vary picky when it comes to dubs, I for one swear by FUNimation, for dubs. But when ever possible, I watch subs.
Aug 16, 2010 5:41 PM

Aug 2009
Oh god, the most famous debate in anime, aside from Naruto, Bleach, or One Piece.

Subs. Always gonna be subs. Mostly because I can't stand when the mouth doesn't match. Only VERY FEW times has there been an agreeable dub I've watched, mostly Death Note.
Aug 16, 2010 11:25 PM

Aug 2010
Subbed hands down, I mean some dubbed is ok but subbed will always be better... it's just the way it is.
Aug 17, 2010 3:01 AM

Aug 2010
Both equally, i normally buy my anime and have not been dissapointed with dubs, like other people have mentioned studio ghibli, cowboy bebop, samurai champloo, fma all have great dubs. I guess i usually watch dubs, dont see anything wrong with them with the exception of one piece.

I also dont mind subs as i watch a lot of foreign movies, currently enjoying casshern sins (subbed).
Aug 17, 2010 10:43 AM

Sep 2009
I watch both equally; but if a dub is bad I aren't going to watch it. Also some times I like the dub even more than the sub(Like wolf's rain, cowboy bebop etc); so I'll watch that.
“I am Sailor Moon, the champion of justice. In the name of the moon, I will right wrong and triumph over evil… and that means you!” – Usagi Tsukino
Aug 17, 2010 5:36 PM

Aug 2009
tehnominator said:
Subs and dubs are both fine. While subs are generally preferred, a good dub can surpass the original sub audio. There are just some things that work better in certain languages.

Take comedy series. Usually hearing a joke and reading a joke are two different things. When you hear the joke in English, your brain reacts faster, and you laugh at the intended moment. I know for slower readers, they tend to miss the point, get it slowly, or don't pick up certain inflections or verbal nuances and puns because of the language barrier.

Or there are anime like Baccano and Cowboy Bebop which are very Western, and so the English dub cast captures the essence of the characters, the atmosphere and other aspects of the anime a lot better. Spike in English is totally cool, smooth and very charming. In Japanese, he doesn't quite jazz it up because Japanese voice actors don't really have that understanding of American jazz.

Also, sometimes a dubber understands the character way better. I know Code Geass in particular, in Japanese Lelouch sounded like a giant piece of ham shouting all his lines, over-acting and being so villainous that he might as well have had a twirly moustache to go along with his cape. On the other hand, Johnny Yong Bosch made Lelouch more human. His voice captured the pensive nature, huge ego and pain quite perfectly. He made Lelouch a lot more human and developed with his acting rather than Fukuyama Jun who made Lelouch sound like a Hungry Hungry Hippo trying to imitate Wakamoto Norio.

In the end, I think a good dub can be equal to or better than the original sub, but nobody really cares since they're all weeaboo elitists anyway and won't truly evaluate a vocal performance properly.

As elitist as I may be, I'm quoting you. So that hopefully, other members will read what you've written. Before they type off some ridiculous absolute. Going on the (broken) record as to say that I enjoy both. And I am warming up to more and more subs.

Though, I am glad that they're seem to be more and more people willing and admitting to watching both. Warms my little heart.

P.S. I dig your reviews.
Aug 17, 2010 5:50 PM
Nov 2008
Miguel_Aiman said:

As elitist as I may be, I'm quoting you. So that hopefully, other members will read what you've written. Before they type off some ridiculous absolute. Going on the (broken) record as to say that I enjoy both. And I am warming up to more and more subs.

Though, I am glad that they're seem to be more and more people willing and admitting to watching both. Warms my little heart.

P.S. I dig your reviews.

His argument doesn't work in certain ways, because it focuses on the culture and the setting in which the anime take place. Anime covers a very broad spectrum of cultures, not just in Japan, the U.S.A. or the United Kingdom.

What about the series that take place on planets other than Earth? Or purely in space itself, where there is no defined culture/nationality to speak of? What if the character isn't even human, be them animal or alien?

What really makes a character is the individual's ability to capture the character despite culture, race or setting, or else we start stereotyping, with people starting to believe that only a Japanese person can play a Japanese character well and vice versa. Then we get people who arrive in threads like these with messages such as "Subs all the way except for Cowboy Bebop and Baccano!"
Aug 17, 2010 5:59 PM

Aug 2010
Mostly subs because I like to hear the original voices but if I'm busy with homework or summin then I will maybe watch a sub if it is available
Aug 17, 2010 7:52 PM

Jul 2010
Most definitely subs. I've tried to watch some in dub and it never turns out well. The people who dub for anime should ALL be fired.
It's been a while...
Aug 17, 2010 7:59 PM

Jun 2010
It's true that dubs do have their strong points in some animes, but they are really rare. The dubs I've watched were such a turn off that now I simply watch subbed all the time (and I voted accordingly).

I just don't feel right when listening to an anime dubbed. It just doesn't feel natural. If I wanted to watch something that I could interpret through audio, I'd go watch House or Battlestar Galactica or something.

It's nice to listen to the original audio. You get to pick up on things that would be lost if you had been entertained via dub. As well, there is 0 chance of learning any Japanese when you listen to something dubbed. It's just so much more engaging to read subtitles and use your own previous experience to interpret what is occurring.
Aug 17, 2010 8:08 PM

Jan 2009
Damn, this thread has been going on for almost 3 years now. lol
Aug 17, 2010 8:12 PM

Jun 2010
I watch them both. In My opinion the Dub v Sub thing is just plain idiotic. People have there own. Sure original is best (I'm not bashing Dub or Sub xD!).

People complain about the Dubbed version always making sentences shorter and sound more stupid then the Original Sub version. But, The sub version isn't entirely correct either when It comes to subtitling it. Like... There is no ACTUAL Way to make a 100% sentence when you subtitle the Japanese version of it. So it's the same thing as watching dub, but with different VAs and a different language

Both Voice Actors/Actresses work very hard on what they do. (I recently attended a con where a english VA, Stephanie Sheh, was asked this question)

I more prefer Dub over Sub because I like to multi-task, and rarely any japanese VAs come to America.
Aug 17, 2010 8:17 PM

Jan 2010
I prefer the subs cause I prefer reading the subtitles and the voices sound better. Dubs can be pretty annoying and it just seems off with some characters. Only some actually sound okay.

also when I look for anime online the subs usually end up having better quality for me.

So Sub FTW
Aug 17, 2010 8:56 PM

Aug 2010
If i watch something dubbed first, and the voices arent terrible then i probably watch it dubbed all the way through but if the voices are terrible i switch to subs. If i see the anime in subs first, i usually carry on in subs
METAL GEAR!?
Aug 20, 2010 3:13 AM
Jul 2010
I watch subbed, because I enjoy listening to the Japanese language.
Aug 26, 2010 2:37 PM

Jul 2010
Subbed is the best for me, I like the feel that you can't get from dubbed animes :D

Aug 26, 2010 2:42 PM

Dec 2008
Angel_Beats said:
Subbed is the best for me, I like the feel that you can't get from dubbed animes :D

Thats kind of an understatement when you see dubs like Black Lagoon, and Baccano! that give the easy more "feel" to itself with their dubs.
RognaAug 26, 2010 2:48 PM
Aug 26, 2010 3:20 PM

Jun 2008
Angel_Beats said:

As said above, it depends on the series itself which version will give the better "feel". Going sub is not automatically better, even for sub fans (the reverse works as well, of course).

In other news...

SamusXtreme, what have you done!? There's nothing wrong with your response itself, but you've revived what I thought I'd finally been freed of (this topic). (Disclaimer: I am not actually as distraught about this as the previous sentence might make me sound)
Aug 26, 2010 3:51 PM

Sep 2009
I like sub most all the time, but every once in a lifetime I'll watch something in dub and actually like it.
Aug 26, 2010 3:52 PM
Aug 2009
Redfoxoffire said:
SamusXtreme, what have you done!? There's nothing wrong with your response itself, but you've revived what I thought I'd finally been freed of (this topic).
I had to do it- Otherwise how would we read the exact same answer with only slight alterations 2,846 times!? We couldn't. And I couldn't live in a world without repetition. Now, to listen to Bicycle Race by Queen for the fortieth time today.
Aug 26, 2010 4:10 PM

Aug 2010
I'm mostly Subs. Most dubs do suck, but there's the rare few that I prefer in English. Very few though. But as there are some, I can't say Subs only, lol.
Aug 26, 2010 4:17 PM

Jul 2009
Well, here's for another round of the same fallacious, ignorant, and bias arguments! *raises mug*
Aug 26, 2010 4:23 PM

Aug 2010
ARXLaevatein said:
Well, here's for another round of the same fallacious, ignorant, and bias arguments! *raises mug*

Here here! *clang*
Aug 27, 2010 4:51 AM

Jul 2008
*purist*
Aug 27, 2010 5:32 AM
★★★★★

Sep 2008
When I first watch an anime, I normally watch it subbed. When I bought it on DVD I watch it again dubbed. Why? I'm often too lazy to read subtitles and I like most of the English dubs... I think it's because English is not my native language so I don't comprehend every little nuance of the phonology and I just don't hear if it's slightly bad (in my native language I DO hear it and often it's really terrible... so I can understand if an English native speaker says that English dubs suck).
That's why I believe that most of the 'purists' like the Japanese version and don't like the dub - they just don't hear if the Japanese version is bad. And because you get used to the Japanese (in general and to special voices).
Aug 27, 2010 6:41 AM
Jul 2010
Hahaha Subs wins, people who hates reading chooses dubs, that's it.
Aug 27, 2010 7:10 AM

Aug 2010
I won't watch anime unless it's dubbed in english.
Aug 27, 2010 8:41 AM

Oct 2007
Lightyear8684 said:

/looks at his bookshelf

/looks at his visual novel folder

/looks at his anime list full of unlicensed anime

Yeah, I really hate reading...
You can find me on IRC.
Aug 27, 2010 11:53 AM

Jun 2008
Luna_ said:
That's why I believe that most of the 'purists' like the Japanese version and don't like the dub - they just don't hear if the Japanese version is bad. And because you get used to the Japanese (in general and to special voices).

This is a very intelligent and accurate point right here, people. No sarcasm.

Lightyear8684 said:

I am an English major (a major that will require a lot of reading). If I hate reading I've got a tough road ahead of me.

Also, two of my top 5 anime are sub only and 9 of the 11 shows I have listed as watching are currently airing in Japan, and therefore sub only.

I can't fucking stand reading.
Aug 30, 2010 3:48 AM

Jul 2010
For me it doesen't quite matter...both are good as long as I know what they are saying

Aug 30, 2010 7:06 AM

Aug 2010
I prefer subs original video is better but sometimes
the subs are in bad font that you can barely read :P
so i watch a dubbed ver. cause im to lame to search a different Download with normal subs :)
Sep 2, 2010 4:25 PM

Sep 2010
I usually go for the audio version that best matches the content on screen.
Original audio with English subs.

Sep 2, 2010 4:30 PM

Feb 2010
I don't see why subs would bother anyone. Maybe at first, but it eventually seems natural.
Sep 2, 2010 4:44 PM

Jun 2008
skutieos said:
I don't see why subs would bother anyone. Maybe at first, but it eventually seems natural.

Who's saying subs are bothersome? I personally prefer dubs but am fine with subs and watch lots of anime subbed.
Sep 2, 2010 4:53 PM

Sep 2010
Who has said subs can be a bother? Read the thread. It may not be your stance but it has been said.

Sep 2, 2010 5:18 PM

Jun 2008
Anime_Name said:
Who has said subs can be a bother? Read the thread. It may not be your stance but it has been said.

Sorry, but if it was said 2,000 posts ago I don't really consider it to be relevant to the current discussion, especially seeing as I've been following this thread for months now.
Sep 2, 2010 5:44 PM

Nov 2008
I used to be hardcore into subs...to the point where I refused to watch/made fun of people who watched dubs.

Then I got old and lazy. Even though the voice acting is much better in Japanese, I find it's easier to emotionally connect with a series when the main characters are speaking a language I understand. More importantly, I feel that a lot of fansubs try their hardest to translate as literally as possible, making the dialogue unrealistic and hard to follow.

I don't hate subs and I completely understand why people prefer them, but I always choose dubs now...even if it is the same 5 voice actors over and over again :D I love reading, but when I am watching a show I just want to relax and multitask. Needing to stare at the screen constantly can be a bother.
Sep 2, 2010 5:51 PM

Sep 2010
Redfoxoffire said:
Anime_Name said:

Sorry, but if it was said 2,000 posts ago I don't really consider it to be relevant to the current discussion, especially seeing as I've been following this thread for months now.

Skutieos' comment is based on what has been said. Your chosen ignorance does not make previous comments go away or not relevant.

Sep 2, 2010 6:17 PM

Jun 2008
Anime_Name said:
Redfoxoffire said:
Anime_Name said:

Skutieos' comment is based on what has been said. Your chosen ignorance does not make previous comments go away or not relevant.

But it's not relevant. Just because someone said something a year ago doesn't mean it still means anything to the topic at hand, especially when we're way past such things. Think about it this way: if someone on the first page of a topic makes a response that is proven later to be bad or illogical, and 2,000 posts later after everyone knows that and the discussion has progressed from there, is it going to mean anything to come back and respond to it as though it had never been addressed? For all you know the person who posted it might not even have the same stance anymore (I know I no longer agree with things I've said even a year ago anymore). Some people might still think that way but to just come out of the blue like that is pointless and confusing. If people aren't saying it anymore, you shouldn't respond as though they are.

Responding to the topic itself is fine and should be expected. Responding to a likely forgotten and possibly buried point is wasting time.

Of course, this is all assuming the comment in question was meant as a response to someone specifically. It seems like that but the way it's written it could just be Skutieos own thoughts on the subject. Guess I can't know until s/he pops up again.

Although, I should at least mention that subtitles can be a bother for some people, specifically dyslexics and naturally slow readers, if that answers Skutieos question more properly.
Sep 2, 2010 6:21 PM
Aug 2009
I'ma gonna learna Japanesea to watch ma raw.
Sep 2, 2010 6:48 PM

Sep 2010
Redfoxoffire said:
But it's not relevant. Just because someone said something a year ago doesn't mean it still means anything to the topic at hand, especially when we're way past such things.

This is a thread every comment remains relevant unless deleted by the poster or mod. It does not matter if your current conversation is not the topic any poster selects to comment on. That is the curse of long threads, some people actually read them and pick a comment to reply to before reaching the end.

Although, I should at least mention that subtitles can be a bother for some people, specifically dyslexics and naturally slow readers, if that answers Skutieos question more properly.

Now was that so hard to do instead of dismissing their comment you address it! You deserve a gold star.

Sep 2, 2010 7:00 PM

Jun 2008
Anime_Name said:
This is a thread every comment remains relevant unless deleted by the poster or mod. It does not matter if your current conversation is not the topic any poster selects to comment on. That is the curse of long threads, some people actually read them and pick a comment to reply to before reaching the end.

Don't think we'll come to an agreement on this and don't feel like trying to.

Now was that so hard to do instead of dismissing their comment you address it! You deserve a gold star.

Awesome. That makes 16.
Sep 2, 2010 10:15 PM
Nov 2008
Anime_Name said:
Redfoxoffire said:
Anime_Name said:

I don't often take comments that are out of the current context within a conversation and slot them in as if relevant. Then again, I know how to keep a conversation going.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (63) « First ... « 47 48 [49] 50 51 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Looks like mecha anime's are dead. RIP, giant robots. ( 1 2 )

Gashadokur0 - Yesterday

76 by RobertBobert »»
4 minutes ago

» What's a hidden gem anime you've watched and would recommend?

Eternal_Rest - 11 hours ago

36 by Mayahuel »»
4 minutes ago

» What is the BEST anime?

doctor - Yesterday

46 by Catalano »»
10 minutes ago

» Shoujo anime recommendations

Daniellaaa - 28 minutes ago

7 by Daviljoe193 »»
12 minutes ago

» Upcoming Dubbed Anime ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kenny_Stryker - Dec 17, 2017

9157 by anime-prime »»
13 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.