Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Jul 24, 12:42 PM
Jul 2016
o.m.g. what a masterpiece
Jul 24, 12:45 PM

Apr 2015
Fantastic episode. It's great to see that they've finally moved forward from the script. Stage acting in general requires the actors to be more exaggerated and expressive in their movements/facial expressions/dialogue delivery, so cutting down on the expository scenes/dialogue in favor of relying more on the actors' ability to emotionally act is a great move.

The PTSD scene, as well as Akane comforting Aqua, were the highlights of the episode. The part where Gorou whispers "don't you dare enjoy yourself" gave me shivers, and of course Akane was able to deduce the likely connection between Aqua and Ai. Akane comforting Aqua with a hug and with a soft-spoken voice, showing her obvious concern for him was so heartwarming. I really want to like Kana, and she was definitely one of my favorite characters in season one, but the thing that's drawing me away from her is her annoying jealousy. Instead of showing concern for Aqua's mental state, her only thought was how lucky Akane is for being able to be by Aqua's side as his girlfriend. Her jealousy should be the last thing on her mind.

"As promised, all that you seek, all that we desire, is prepared up there. On top of the Tower."
Jul 24, 12:53 PM

Jul 2024
What a legitimately amazing episode. The end where Akane goes down a rabbit whole and essentially figures it out and then comforts Aqua. A Beautiful segment. I'm all on board with the Akane train
Jul 24, 12:56 PM
Dec 2018
Reply to Nerdason
I can't even imagine how many photos of Ai Hoshino there must be in that folder
@Nerdason

That stack of folder names 👀
Jul 24, 1:00 PM

May 2015
A great episode, this was some serious depiction of emotional acting reaching a bit too deeply. Poor Aqua :(

On a brighter note, the revision of the script went fantastic, glad they managed to do come to agreement in the end and produce something amazing.
Jul 24, 1:08 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
The first half of the episode was pretty boring (inconsequential more than anything) but it really delivered in the second half. Whenever Ai is brought up or plot relevant it brings out the best in the series.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jul 24, 1:18 PM

Aug 2013
Hopefully Aqua is going to recover from this.
Jul 24, 1:23 PM
Aug 2022
So as per tik tok being tik tok I've been spoiled on quite a lot of Oshi no ko and some fairly big events which I tried not to read into too much. But I was hoping a manga reader could answer this question for me

I don't wanna know anything else just say yes or no. Or maybe.

Anyways with that out the way one thing I've always loved about oshi no ko is the drama and psychological aspect its one of my favourite parts of anime and when they have a dark serious tone I love it its why I like Aqua and Ruby so much cause they both are great characters which display real signs of trauma of there past and props to the mangaka for portraying that so well.

I think of myself as quite an emotional dude (at least when it comes to anime) but I remember watching episode 1 of oshi no ko and I never cried at seeing Ai die, the reason was because I really didn't feel connected much to any of the characters cause it was literally the first episode. But I'm fairly confident that I'd cry if I watched it again now I've built more of a connection to Aqua and Ruby.

One thing I've always found weird about the blue girl is how she attempted to unalive herself and sure the next episode we obviously saw her very emotional. But like it was never touched on after that. Like unless I'm remembering wrong she just got over it immediately and we never saw her have any real form of trauma from it except from the initial shock of the situation. Which idk it might be why I've always disliked her character. Like its so weird how she almost immediately got over that.

I love Kana with the tough love on Aqua this episode still continues to be my favourite girl in the show.

Great episode and I hope we get more like this.

Putting this last segment in spoilers just to be safe
Phantom_373Jul 24, 1:30 PM
Jul 24, 1:25 PM

Apr 2022
What was with that ending? Does the Director have some dark secret that will be revealed in the next episode?
Jul 24, 1:27 PM

Jul 2017
Actual masterpiece
Jul 24, 1:28 PM
May 2021
Feel sorry for Aqua still shii
Jul 24, 1:30 PM

Jul 2020
as someone who only watches this show for Akane, I'm satisfied with the episode
Jul 24, 1:31 PM

Apr 2022
Great episode, bravo. Akane is terrifyingly smart to be able to put it all together like she did. Really hope her and Aqua work out (I assume they won't because of the Blue Hair Rule, but still, can't hurt to hope).

Season is properly in the swing of things now then.
Jul 24, 1:34 PM

Feb 2011
i wish akane had the nads to just ask Aqua.. like, "are you Ai's kid?"

How many chapters and development could that have saved.

sigh, this anime just edges people non stop, its wack, also the murder plot is completely gone it seems, or so on the back burner it doesn't matter.

3/5

Jul 24, 1:37 PM

Jun 2024
gahhh everytime the ed starts playing all i can think is "god that was so good" and i mean!!! the scene of goa and abiko working together on the script was rly fun ^w^ and aqua's flashback?? as well as akane piecing everything together?? oooh this is getting even better
chidori and haru >>>> any other persona character
Jul 24, 1:37 PM
Jun 2007
Aqua during this episode, in a nutshell:
Jul 24, 2:01 PM
Apr 2022
Beautiful episode, we finally get the conclusion with Abiko-Sensei’s revisions and i really thought we were gonna see her revision if the script but im glad we got both a mix of GOA-San and Abiko’s. Plus all that hype they were talking about including the main cast praising it has me REALLY hyped to see Tokyo Blade script, this sub/main plot of Aqua has really gave me insight into what the real life world of acting can really be like, very passionate and moving. Aka Akasaka knows how to write a story.

Towards the 2nd half of the episode, Aqua couldn’t grasp how to do emotional acting until he asked Arima for a little bit of advice. Basically told him how she does it, in her case think of someone dear to you and for Aqua that hit like a dart right in the heart and couldn’t keep composed no more. Later on goes to his another director friends house to rest and there is where Miss Akane connected the dots slowly and it finally hit when Aqua was saying ‘AI’ under his breath while having honestly really sad and terrible nightmares about his mom. The most crazy part about his interpretation of the intruder behind him telling him she should’ve done something but Bro he was literally a baby he couldn’t have done nothing. and finally when he comes to Akane shows she actually very much cares for him and thats where I think there relationship can actually blossom. Good ep
Jul 24, 2:18 PM
Nov 2022
Aqua is so kind to share his ptsd with all of us too.
Jul 24, 2:22 PM
Jan 2023
Incroyable cet épisode
Jul 24, 2:39 PM
Feb 2021
I'm glad everything was cleared up with the author and Goa! But holy shit poor Kana said the wronggggg thing. I put my hand over my mouth I was so shocked! I feel really bad for Aqua, but I am glad that he has at least 2 people who know about his PTSD and are there to support him. They almost definitely don't know the extent to which he blames himswlf tho :(. The scene with Akane holding him was really sweet. Her detective skills struck again lol.

2 things that disturb me in this episode, were #1 the director's computer files. and #2 the way the "shadowy figure" that discourages Aqua (his demons™️) is just his doctor self from his past life: ( idk I just think that's really sad. But it also just straight up looks like an adult man bullying a kid lol.
Jul 24, 2:40 PM
Sep 2022
This episode was amazing
Jul 24, 2:43 PM
Jan 2022
Peak fiction stuff if I must say
Jul 24, 2:53 PM
Apr 2018
Reply to Xiao
Fantastic episode. It's great to see that they've finally moved forward from the script. Stage acting in general requires the actors to be more exaggerated and expressive in their movements/facial expressions/dialogue delivery, so cutting down on the expository scenes/dialogue in favor of relying more on the actors' ability to emotionally act is a great move.

The PTSD scene, as well as Akane comforting Aqua, were the highlights of the episode. The part where Gorou whispers "don't you dare enjoy yourself" gave me shivers, and of course Akane was able to deduce the likely connection between Aqua and Ai. Akane comforting Aqua with a hug and with a soft-spoken voice, showing her obvious concern for him was so heartwarming. I really want to like Kana, and she was definitely one of my favorite characters in season one, but the thing that's drawing me away from her is her annoying jealousy. Instead of showing concern for Aqua's mental state, her only thought was how lucky Akane is for being able to be by Aqua's side as his girlfriend. Her jealousy should be the last thing on her mind.
@Xiao

idk if you missed it or something but she was worried about him and wanted to check on him after he left the room but the director sent akane cause of their relationship to look after him. Hence her comment plus shes literally in the dark and knows nothing about his mental state.
Jul 24, 2:57 PM
Oct 2020
13:03 WHOA WHOA SLOW DOWN THERE KANA YOU DON"T WANT TO BE THE CHILDHOOD FRIEND OK!

13:57 Kana really just made him his Mom dying ptsd

20:33 she got all this figured out from him saying Ai in his sleep. DAMN!

Akane comforting Aqua as Ai was sweet. Almost as if his mom was there to comfort her boy after a nightmare. At this rate Akane might become Aqua's second/third mom instead of his girlfriend.

Ok looks like the director guy Gotanda also seems to be quite affected by that event like Aqua. He's also got some files...probably has been doing some investigation himself.
Jul 24, 3:11 PM

Nov 2021
Such an incredible episode, the writing this season has been really amazing (always has been). Teared up a little seeing all those flashbacks again.
Jul 24, 3:15 PM
Jun 2012
Defintely the best episode by far, from the beggining to the end, hope keep finding episodes like this, the other one were slow in a bad way.
Jul 24, 3:17 PM
Deadhead

Dec 2018
Looks like they ended up going the way I was hoping in regards to the script after all, Abiko folded after seeing that play and being convinced by glasses director man, and finally decided to let GOA cook, but in a collaborative effort of course, I really like the scenes that followed with Abiko and GOA just having a grand ol’ time altering the script, now that both artists have come to understand each other they really shined. Although, damn RIP the other two there that had to withstand that all nighter lol, but the important part is that the new script is finished and this Abiko arc is over, I enjoyed it but I’m ready to see this play.

And when it comes to rehearsing for said play, things were going well up until Aqua could not act emotionally, and that’s when Kana said the magic words that brought back quite the horrifying PTSD, they did a good job making that scary, poor Kana tho lol, she was just trying to help in the way she knew how but said the exact wrong thing. However, Aqua getting sick over his trauma allowed for the blue babe Akane to shine, how much she cares for Aqua really shows here and I’m glad she is able to do for him what he did for her before, even if Aqua doesn’t fully allow her to shoulder his hardships. And lastly, I was happy to see Gotanda again after quite a while, he’s still a bro like before, but apparently his computer has some interesting info on it at the end according to manga readers, I’ll just say I look forward to when it’s relevant as an anime only lol.
Jul 24, 3:19 PM

Apr 2015
Kipo0007 said:
idk if you missed it or something but she was worried about him and wanted to check on him after he left the room but the director sent akane cause of their relationship to look after him. Hence her comment plus shes literally in the dark and knows nothing about his mental state.

@Kipo0007 Yes I know, ofc I'm not saying Kana isn't worried about him, but like I stated, her jealousy should've been the last thing on her mind when Aqua was obviously in distress. A more normal, empathetic comment would've been, "I hope he's okay," instead of commenting on how lucky Akane is for being by his side. It's just one line and not a big deal, sure, but it does show something about Kana's character.

"As promised, all that you seek, all that we desire, is prepared up there. On top of the Tower."
Jul 24, 3:26 PM
Apr 2024
one of in my opinion the best anime episodes I have seen in a while
Jul 24, 3:36 PM
Jan 2024
This is the moment I've been waiting for since before this season even started airing. I haven't read much of the manga, but Aqua's panic attack was the one big scene from this arc I knew about going in and MAN was it adapted beautifully. The animation, voice acting, lighting and visual design during that whole sequence were all absolutely on point
Jul 24, 3:39 PM
Apr 2018
Reply to Xiao
Kipo0007 said:

@Kipo0007 Yes I know, ofc I'm not saying Kana isn't worried about him, but like I stated, her jealousy should've been the last thing on her mind when Aqua was obviously in distress. A more normal, empathetic comment would've been, "I hope he's okay," instead of commenting on how lucky Akane is for being by his side. It's just one line and not a big deal, sure, but it does show something about Kana's character.
@Xiao Well i am not counting out that shes a potty mouth and its a known thing but tbh the first thing in her mind was if hes okay when she looked down with the concerned expression sure she didnt say it out loud but it was clear and her jealousy is more on the fact that she wanted to be the one to take care of him but couldnt since his gf is there (hence the word convenient) which to her is a business relationship instead of herself whos known him longer and is closer to him. She doesnt even know about his mental state in the first place and aqua just said hes dizzy so yea.
Jul 24, 4:18 PM
Jun 2024
this anime is amazing, i cant wait 4 the next episode
Jul 24, 4:46 PM
Jul 2022
Great episode! Feel sorry for Aqua T^T, nice to see Akane's development.
Jul 24, 4:47 PM

Feb 2020
Akane's detective mode is scary af her deductions skills are crazyyy
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 24, 5:14 PM
Jul 2022
This is literally the first time I've heard the phrase "suck the dick" used in an anime...
Berch0Jul 24, 5:18 PM
Jul 24, 5:19 PM

May 2022
Oh man... What was that??? Don't make me cry again remembering Ai's death ;-;

We finally saw our boy Aqua truly smile for the first time and it was awesome. Interesting to notice that every moment he remembers isn't he being happy for himself, but because others were happy.
Jul 24, 5:38 PM
Jan 2018
I have to wait a week between each episode. Given that this season was 13 episodes, if it were all released at once, I would probably watch it all in 2 days.

The composer really deserves special praise. Particularly for that harmonica song he did at the end of the first episode of season 1, as well as the scene in the hallway where it's just Akane and Aqua. When the episode goes from the rehearsal room to the hallway, the song starts adding in instruments that evoke childhood, which I thought was a memorable choice. I hope the score for season 2 gets made available soon.

It's a shame that I was exposed to manga mega spoilers that I never sought out :x
But I'll enjoy the ride nonetheless.
Jul 24, 5:55 PM
Jan 2023
Akane being the best gf in the world 🥺
Jul 24, 6:16 PM

Aug 2022
- "The core of the characters is what's important. So long as those don't change, it's okay to do whatever." Abiko-sensei points out what's arguably the most important thing when adapting a story to a different medium. This applies not only for stageplay writing, but also when writing new stories for beloved characters. It is sound advice that third rate hacks who are ruining major franchises in Hollywood nowadays willfully ignore (cough cough... Star Wars, Halo TV series, Rings of Power, and many more).

- Kana might have unintentionally friend-zoned herself by proclaiming to be Aqua's "osana najimi" in front of Akane's face. 🙃

- Aqua x Therapy has fast-tracked itself to being the definitive "ship" of the series.🙃 All those flashbacks of Ai's untimely demise are sure to bring back unpleasant emotions for those that reacted strongly for that scene in the show's first episode.

- Akane has a bright future as a detective. Her ability to put clues together has impressed me much more than her acting skills.

PhoenixWasUsed said:
also Gotanda seems to have some interesting folders.

Surprised that a certain character's name was revealed in that part.
Jul 24, 6:24 PM

Jul 2022
What an episode and what a spectacular contrast. First, we see something beautiful like GOA and Abiko reconciling and having fun while working hard to deliver an excellent script for the play. Then, something so sad, sinister, and painful like Aqua's situation and everything he has had to go through and still has to face.

Akane could easily be the protagonist of a detective anime, the way she connects the dots so quickly is incredible. From the viewer's perspective, it wasn't that hard to figure out, but I imagine it would be very different in a real situation. I'm more of a Kana fan, but the support Akane gave Aqua at that moment scores big points for me.

Also, seeing that kind of specter when Aqua had an anxiety attack while remembering Ai's death makes me think it's Aqua himself from his past life haunting him.

P.S. If anyone remembers, because I don't recall it being mentioned, does the director who is Aqua's tutor know that Aqua and Ruby are Ai's children? Please, no spoilers.
Jul 24, 7:02 PM
Apr 2021
Is what we saw on monitor proof that the director knows Ai's last name, and thus knows that Aqua is her son? If he knows that Ai and Aqua have the same last name, he doesn't need a huge intellect to connect several obvious things. If Aqua is his apprentice I find it hard to believe that after all these years he doesn't know that his guardian has a different last name than him.
Jul 24, 7:04 PM
Nov 2019
naskah baru selesai
waktunya menunjukkan akting
My Candies :
Jul 24, 7:36 PM
Feb 2021
nmk gzjkgjgvjvmnnv
Jul 24, 7:40 PM

Apr 2022
damn arima brought aqua's ptsd back. akane cooked this episode though, good stuff fom her and the director.
Jul 24, 7:53 PM

Feb 2015
Akane scares me with how she's able to figure out all that stuff from such little information, even if it's just a "scenario" based on deductions.

Kana really leaning into that jealousy there using it (hopefully) to Aqua's benefit with how harsh she is.
Jul 24, 8:27 PM
Nov 2018
Akane no gan.

Show feels a bit fast compared to the manga but still hitting.
Jul 24, 8:30 PM
Apr 2018
All of it. Oh, my god
Jul 24, 8:55 PM

Mar 2024
And here we have it.

TEAM AKANE FOR THE WIN. :)
Jul 24, 9:20 PM

Nov 2020
One of the best episodes

Jul 24, 9:21 PM
Jul 2024
Best episode of the season so far
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

» They Honestly tried too hard with the opening for this show

Neolightveo - Yesterday

36 by levibigass »»
59 minutes ago

» Akane Best Girl for Aqua

Mr-DYNAMIC - Yesterday

47 by Tristalia »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » "Oshi no Ko" 2nd Season Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Softhenic03 - Jul 17

145 by OxFrieren »»
6 hours ago

Poll: » "Oshi no Ko" 2nd Season Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Jul 3

255 by Rinrinka »»
7 hours ago

Poll: » Season 1 opening or season 2 opening? ( 1 2 )

TASM18 - Jul 17

52 by Alpha-Nine »»
Yesterday, 6:10 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.