Forum Settings
Forums

Who’s your favourite autistic character in anime media?

New
Jun 10, 2023 10:51 AM

Mar 2023
Out of pure curiosity, who’s your favourite anime character with autism?

I’ll start with mine 
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jun 10, 2023 11:01 AM

Dec 2015
Shiina Mashiro. Her autism is not confirmed in the show, but heavily implied.
Jun 10, 2023 11:17 AM
Sep 2020
the myth, the legend, the retard. ASA the goat

Jun 10, 2023 12:16 PM

Oct 2010
I am literally Kamille Bidan.
Whenever I say my name to someone, they start laughing and because I am insecure about my girly name I start punching the shit outta him or her, no one makes fun of my girly name.
I always keep an angry mug in order to appear tough and if someone looks at me I will tell them to stop looking, who the hell are they to look at me? if they make fun of my girly name I will beat their asses.
I have a hot childhood friend who loves me but I don't care about her because I love this insane girl with short hair who's on meds all the time and has hallucinations, oh yeah I love to be called onii-chan by hot girls, doesn't matter if they are crazy. I hate the immature girl who cries just because her parents were killed in front of her, it's war girl, WAR! act mature for once!!!
I am not violent, in fact I love peace, we should all be friends, friendship deepens when people stop making fun of my girly name, if they do I will get in my robot and shoot them, their friends, their girlfriends and their whole family, NO ONE MAKES FUN OF MY NAME!!!
I also don't believe in this Newtype shit, what does that even mean? can you punch a Newtype? I love my mom but why did she gave me this girly name I wonder, for in the end I'm an autistic child.
Jun 10, 2023 12:45 PM

Aug 2020
Shiina. OmG she is such a cute and sweet waifu.

Jun 10, 2023 1:06 PM
Jul 2018
Nobody is telling me that Hange is the most neurotypical person you will ever meet and I love them in general. Also I can relate to lot to some of their traits, like ... a lot. ^^' including the obsessions, the impulsivity sometimes, the joy in pattern recognitions etc... I think they can read people well, but more on an intellectual, cognitive level.
My first thought rather went to "lol, adhd pal", but I too have both, so....
There is also a reason lot of neurodiverse people are in STEMs. Bunch of famous scientists and lot of well-known artists that have been described as excentric and utterly weird by the people in their environment, you know what had been up with them. xD

Tbh, since people here mentioned Shina. I found Shina on the same level of awful as... I dunno, The Good Doctor or Rain Man.
But I also don't know a person like that, it's hard to evaluate, but I dislike that lot of people's mind jump to stereotypes like Shina or The Good Doctor.

Another one I can really relate to is Nemona from the Pokemon game, mainly because of her obsession and she's very straight to the point and impulsive. I too read her with adhd tho as well (that's just headcanon ofc).

Outside from anime and manga, I really like Luz from The Owl House and that was basically me as 13 yo lol.
She's even comfirmed to have audhd and the school is supposed to be a better environment for learning and livng for her.
Jun 10, 2023 2:21 PM

Mar 2020
You know I gotta go with my girl Lain. She is Autism Supreme
In the end, all girls are like the rose bride
Jun 10, 2023 2:27 PM

Oct 2018
Bocchi is literally me, the peak of autism.
If you're a fanboy, please don't waste my time.

Watch more movies, please.

Perhaps, this is hell.
Jun 10, 2023 2:28 PM
Dec 2018
The MC from The World God Only Knows

I think he is autistic, at least he displays a lot of the symptoms.
I like dub more than sub because I am not a weeb.
Jun 10, 2023 2:31 PM

Feb 2016
Felori said:
But I also don't know a person like that
That's exactly what I think. How did Mashiro become the face of anime autism when she doesn't even resemble a real person, autistic or otherwise? I'd go so far as to say Kamille Bidan is a more believable character, and he was written by people who don't even know what autism is!
I love Sakurasou, but its heroine is little different from the quirky moe girls found in every Key anime. Perhaps Jun Maeda is the one with autism?
その目だれの目?
Jun 10, 2023 2:41 PM

Nov 2020
I'm autistic and I relate to Rance from Rance Quest on so many levels. In Rance's mind, there are no options- he HAS to do what a passer-by would call seemingly arbitrary evil. Though, it's through the subtle interactions with other characters, that the reader/watcher -as well as the world around Rance- is able to discern that his intentions are pure of heart. Rance is a genuinely good person that is entirely misunderstood as a result of his circumstances. The beauty of the Rance series is that: it's not Rance that grows, it's YOU that grows to understand Rance.

zechJun 10, 2023 4:35 PM
Jun 10, 2023 3:13 PM

Sep 2008
Far as anime depictions go, not sure I could think of any specific character I'd say I could find to be genuinely autistic beyond implications (which even then could be other types of neurological disorders besides autism) or from misunderstandings in the creative development process of the series in question. Kamille's case is actually somewhat controversial as the Japanese meaning for autism is "self-closure symptom," which Yoshiyuki Tomino misunderstood to think Kamille had autism from isolating himself due to his family troubles. At least watching Zeta Gundam, found Kamille's mindset was more a result of his family troubles and trauma from seeing the continued warfare he was forced to be part of than anything involving autism.

To date, the only fictional character in Japanese media I could genuinely develop a connection with being genuinely autistic was Hikaru Azuma from Keiko Tobe's With the Light (Hikari to Tomoni) manga series due to the believability the series gave exploring the challenges faced by Hikaru with his behavior around children his age and the pressures put on his family raising him in Japanese society.
Jun 10, 2023 3:16 PM

Dec 2015
Lucifrost said:
Felori said:
That's exactly what I think. How did Mashiro become the face of anime autism when she doesn't even resemble a real person, autistic or otherwise? I'd go so far as to say Kamille Bidan is a more believable character, and he was written by people who don't even know what autism is!
I love Sakurasou, but its heroine is little different from the quirky moe girls found in every Key anime. Perhaps Jun Maeda is the one with autism?
I think it's pretty hard to get to know a person, who has troubles speaking and socialicing. Autism can cause nonverbality in addition of not understanding social cues or hyperfixation that both can be seen in Shiina. She basically has Asperger's Syndrome, which is also hyperbolized due to being in anime. Sakurasou just happens to be a more popular show, has a cute girl with the condition and appeals more to the modern audience. I wouldn't call any character "the face of anime autism", but she definitely is one of the most known examples.
Jun 10, 2023 4:16 PM

Oct 2019
Kenma from Haikyuu is just like me fr 
Jun 10, 2023 4:20 PM

Nov 2022
I think Yin from Darker than Black. 

I am not sure if she has autism but she is waifu material for sure.

Question to OP: how Haruhi has autism? She is more of ADHD

I did not watch the show itself but she does not give autism impression.
EmperorThorJun 10, 2023 4:27 PM
Buy my awesome BDSM male domination book here  https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/1174760

Visit my Discord https://discord.com/channels/1047490147794550844/1047490149161898039 I am not there most of the time but you can leave a message.

Or my blog here https://BDSMAnime.blogspot.com/
Or here https://BDSMAnime18.blogspot.com/

Submit to me and become my subject here https://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=88107
Jun 10, 2023 4:29 PM

Apr 2020
in my opinion komi shoko seems very autistic !! some other characters i view as autistic are legoshi, sagiri izumi, sumi sakurasawa, lain iwakura, rina tennoji and akira oono :)
Jun 10, 2023 5:22 PM

Feb 2016
ggultra2764 said:
To date, the only fictional character in Japanese media I could genuinely develop a connection with being genuinely autistic was Hikaru Azuma from Keiko Tobe's With the Light (Hikari to Tomoni) manga series due to the believability the series gave exploring the challenges faced by Hikaru with his behavior around children his age and the pressures put on his family raising him in Japanese society.
With the Light is a great manga. Pet has a similar character, but she appears only in the final episode.
その目だれの目?
Jun 10, 2023 6:40 PM

Sep 2008
Lucifrost said:
ggultra2764 said:
With the Light is a great manga. Pet has a similar character, but she appears only in the final episode.
I've yet to see Pet, so may get around to seeing it down the line to see how the series depicts the character. Not against the idea of anyone viewing characters within anime to be autistic if they display typical symptoms of the spectrum. Just the symptoms can overlap with other developmental disorders and may either not necessarily be autistic or have a combination of different disorders. Plus, mental health's something Japanese society's still learning to get a grasp on considering the country's collectivist habits.
Jun 11, 2023 2:02 AM

Mar 2013
Erio Touwa, but I wonder if it's the autism or the fact she's barefoot all the time.

The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow.

Jun 11, 2023 3:28 AM

Aug 2020
Catalano said:
Whenever I say my name to someone, they start laughing and because I am insecure about my girly name I start punching the shit outta him or her, no one makes fun of my girly name.
I always keep an angry mug in order to appear tough and if someone looks at me I will tell them to stop looking, who the hell are they to look at me? if they make fun of my girly name I will beat their asses.
I have a hot childhood friend who loves me but I don't care about her because I love this insane girl with short hair who's on meds all the time and has hallucinations, oh yeah I love to be called onii-chan by hot girls, doesn't matter if they are crazy. I hate the immature girl who cries just because her parents were killed in front of her, it's war girl, WAR! act mature for once!!!
I am not violent, in fact I love peace, we should all be friends, friendship deepens when people stop making fun of my girly name, if they do I will get in my robot and shoot them, their friends, their girlfriends and their whole family, NO ONE MAKES FUN OF MY NAME!!!
I also don't believe in this Newtype shit, what does that even mean? can you punch a Newtype? I love my mom but why did she gave me this girly name I wonder, for in the end I'm an autistic child.
the president would be proud of his kin.
Jun 11, 2023 5:16 AM

Mar 2023
Lala Deviluke. She seems autistic out for me.
Jun 11, 2023 5:19 AM

Dec 2020
"Who’s your favourite autistic character in anime media?"
Tomoko Kuroki from Watamote.

Jun 11, 2023 5:26 AM

Jan 2021
Kamile Biden is my top autismo hero, so much autism to the point where he jumped in a mech and killed people because some college frat boy said he had a girls name.
Sometimes it takes a real man to be best girl. Gilgamesh is also chad.

[/center]
Jun 11, 2023 5:43 AM

Nov 2018
The anime is Kuragehime aka Princess Jellyfish. Tsukimi Kurashita is one of the better anime takes of somebody on the spectrum.

If you include manga nothing really tops Saitou Megumi from Asper Kanojo. Fair warning, this manga is a brutally real take on people dealing with severe autism and mental illness. It is also a love story of sorts. The only other manga I've seen that can compare to it is Hikari to Tomo aka With the Light: Raising an Autistic Child. which is also surprisingly realistic, but not nearly as dark. Both are excellent manga if you are looking for a mature and more psychological exploration of autism.

Saitou Megumi
MeltingSkyJun 12, 2023 8:45 AM
Jun 11, 2023 6:59 AM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
I don't know what autistic means medically speaking so I can't point fingers and take characters' words for granted

Jun 11, 2023 7:41 AM
Jul 2018
Lucifrost said:
Felori said:
That's exactly what I think. How did Mashiro become the face of anime autism when she doesn't even resemble a real person, autistic or otherwise?

To be fair, what's realistic or not is often made up by people's own experiences too. I know quite a lot of other people too, who are neurodiverse in one way or another. It's quite normal to make other autistic / adhd friends, because they often don't view you as weird (or neurotypical people who are quite accepting of your traits and like them) and you can freely share your hyperfixations with them.

Shiina is meant to be a savant, but there are so few of them apparantly and I only know what she's supposed to be like from the few articles / documentaries I've seen about that.
I also don't expect to meet a person like her in a master's programm or at my hobbies (where I ofc met other nd people in my friend group), to be real, so what people view as realistic representation or not, is ofc dependent on their own personality and experiences.
But what bugged me about Shiina, how she has been portrayed so infantilized and unable to fulfill the simplest daily tasks, but not being able to do simple daily tasks is more portrayed as ... waifu-y?

I think most of the unintentional ones (or the characters I personally read as somewhere on the adhd / autistic spectrum) are the best, because they are more humanized.
The only canonically, neurodiverse character I personally could relate to so far, and by that a lot lol, was Luz.
Jun 11, 2023 9:04 AM

Feb 2016
Felori said:
But what bugged me about Shiina, how she has been portrayed so infantilized and unable to fulfill the simplest daily tasks, but not being able to do simple daily tasks is more portrayed as ... waifu-y?
That's the whole reason I consider her unrealistic. You will never find someone like Mashiro in a school dorm, because she is incapable of surviving without her family doing everything for her.
その目だれの目?
Jun 11, 2023 9:23 AM

Nov 2015
the younger brother from ghost stories, keiichiro
Cold-hearted orb that rules the night

Removes the colours from our sight

Red is grey and yellow white

But we decide which is right

And which is an illusion.
Jun 11, 2023 9:53 AM

Aug 2014
Kamille Bidan from Zeta Gundam, He's one of my favorite Protagonists in anime.
Jun 12, 2023 10:03 AM

Nov 2018
Since we already have quite a few manga characters in this thread, here's one more that's worthy of mention. Toda from Aa toka Uu shika Ienai stands out as one of the more realistic depictions of somebofy with quite severe autism without being anywhere near as dark as Asper Kanojo. It's quite cute for a mature story.

Jun 12, 2023 10:40 AM

Apr 2016
Can't think of one. I have seen/read some of the anime/manga mentioned here, but none of the characters I would consider as autistic ("stereotypical shy character" or "generally an asshole" does not equal autistic). But it would be interesting to watch/read an anime/manga with an actual autistic character. :)
Nov 1, 2023 7:52 AM
Apr 2023
As an autistic person mine is none other than the (wo)man, the myth, the l(iterally m)egend:
Nov 1, 2023 8:21 AM

Feb 2020
Fuko Ibuki from Clannad. Definitely my favorite. :3
Nov 1, 2023 8:24 AM

Sep 2018
Shiina from sakurasou is mine, but I see it was already mentioned.
Nov 1, 2023 8:44 AM

Dec 2022
Unsubstantiated Headcanon: The Thread

Shaded Horizon

Nov 1, 2023 8:57 AM

Jul 2015
Shiro T poison is my favorite autistic character.
Nov 1, 2023 9:00 AM

Feb 2020
Hmmm...? never really thought about something like this?
Ryouko Otonashi from Danganronpa I guess?
Nov 1, 2023 9:25 AM

May 2021
If Mafuyu from Given counts, then probably him.
Nov 1, 2023 10:09 AM

Sep 2023
I don't know. I never really thought about whether a character was autistic or not. How about Nagato Yuki? Would she qualify? Or Okarin from Steins;Gate? Or his buddy what's his name. The computer guy. Those are the ones that come to mind off the top of my head. But anyway i would go with Nagato if she counts.
Nov 1, 2023 11:35 AM

Sep 2008
https://myanimelist.net/character/8661/Kei_Minamikaze
馬鹿げた倫理 全部ガラクタで
Nov 1, 2023 11:48 AM

Aug 2016
Reply to Catalano

@Catalano

I think Camille was the only sane character in that anime
:v
Nov 1, 2023 12:05 PM

Jul 2020
Violet Evergarden would be my favorite. Shiina Mashiro from Sakura-sou no Pet na Kanojo would be second.
Nov 1, 2023 12:15 PM
Nov 2021
Rikka Takanashi from Love Chunibyo, and Other Delusions, the anime had me cracking-up more than any other anime.

Nov 1, 2023 12:19 PM
Jul 2016
I feel like Ai Hoshino from "Oshi no Ko" has some form of autism or ADHD or both.

It's definitely not a typical portrayal of autism. I feel like Ai got really good at masking.
Nov 1, 2023 6:24 PM
Sep 2022
Not my favorite but I think Rio Futaba is autistic and I don't see a lot of people say it
Nov 1, 2023 7:23 PM

Feb 2018
Reply to NDskies
I don't know. I never really thought about whether a character was autistic or not. How about Nagato Yuki? Would she qualify? Or Okarin from Steins;Gate? Or his buddy what's his name. The computer guy. Those are the ones that come to mind off the top of my head. But anyway i would go with Nagato if she counts.

Japan's very own Autistic Astronaut, then?!?

Nov 1, 2023 7:38 PM

Mar 2013
Reply to zech
I'm autistic and I relate to Rance from Rance Quest on so many levels. In Rance's mind, there are no options- he HAS to do what a passer-by would call seemingly arbitrary evil. Though, it's through the subtle interactions with other characters, that the reader/watcher -as well as the world around Rance- is able to discern that his intentions are pure of heart. Rance is a genuinely good person that is entirely misunderstood as a result of his circumstances. The beauty of the Rance series is that: it's not Rance that grows, it's YOU that grows to understand Rance.

@zech-

Pure of heart? Bruh, Rance is literally a rapist. A very funny rapist, but he is a rapist. Rance is an extreme hedonist who (usually) indulges in what he wants. Anytime he decides to not force himself on a woman or even outright kill someone over something trivial is an exception and not the rule. He is basically a slightly more heroic Sukuna.

Note: Rance Quest is one of the few Rance games I have yet to play.
Nov 3, 2023 5:26 AM
Jul 2020
Legoshi. Although it hasnʼt been confirmed, as far as I know.

Nov 3, 2023 5:36 AM

Oct 2018
Fuuko Ibuki, I don't think it is canon, but she seems to potentially be on the spectrum. I don't think I've seen any anime with a character that was confirmed to be autistic.
Dreaming 'bout long gone things;
Days, on end, repeating infinitely.
Like the inside of a never-ending dream,
Whilst looking for the endless morn...
Only to return to the dream again
Nov 3, 2023 7:34 AM
May 2012
Oona Akira, Ran(Texhnolyze), Yin/Kirsi, Lala Ru are way too autistic to be enjoyed except Yin when she opens a little later on. Violet Evergarden has more like alexithymia so it's confusing. Komi San, Nagato Yuki, Kotomi Ichinose, Sawako Kuronuma, Chizuru Hishiro, Eureka, Hagumi Hanamoto I'd say are more like Asperger, if Asperger is included I'll take Sawako if not Yin/Kirsi but later on when she kinda show some emotion. Rikka Takanashi and Erio Touwa are not autistic but schizotypal. There's nothing wrong with Haruhi and Shiina is waifu fan service.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » violent or sexual fanservice

deg - 6 hours ago

21 by DigiCat »»
11 minutes ago

» Good anime but makes you sleep

m_alhafidz - 2 hours ago

9 by Guilmon1 »»
19 minutes ago

» Did you know that anime girls smell like the color of their eyes?

Commit_Crime - Oct 5

15 by deg »»
22 minutes ago

» Why do people care about anime character's birthdays?

Mattenan - 8 hours ago

22 by Little_Sheepling »»
27 minutes ago

» Do you appreciate the weirdness of anime or is it something you just tolerate?

Anjuro - 11 hours ago

34 by Nirinbo »»
33 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.