Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (10) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »
Jan 8, 2023 12:36 AM
Feb 2021
It seems like a very fateful adaption and as a die-hard Nier fan, it was just unreal to watch. You have the major things like the OST and original voice actors to pay respect to the source material, but it’s little things like the way 2B flipped her sword before sheathing it just like in the game that get me. The action sequences also looked pretty stellar and fluid, which is very important for this story, and the puppets at the end explaining more lore than the actual game does is a great touch as well.
Overall, very satisfied with the way this first episode came out and I feel this truly serves justice to our fanbase and respects the source material it was based on in a different medium, unlike many others in the industry right now. Can’t wait to experience this amazing story in anime form in the coming episodes and gain more insight into the lord and backstory of Automata.
Jan 8, 2023 12:46 AM
Jan 2022
2D Animation is great but awfull CGI as usual ruining shows. The pacing was too fast for it's own good. The Affection for 9S by 2B Just comes off as randomly and sudden in the show, unlike the games where there is a buildup.
All the Big fighting scenes skipped too. Now OfCourse no one expects to make a 1:1 adaptation of source Material. So perhaps it's fine. 
Jan 8, 2023 12:54 AM
Mar 2022
Actully...I don't know how to feel about this. I love Nier Automata(The game); It's my favorite; But...The anime was different from what I thought it would be. Like...There were some key scenes that I didn't see and...and...and...Basically they are not using the full potential of the story and characters, at first it irritated me a bit but looks like that's not actually the purpose of the anime to begin with; It sounds more like an "specials" for the game. It may sound right for someone like me who spent hours in the game but for someone who hasn't played the game, It may sound ridiculous, for example the fight scenes are just there to say that there was fight and they don't put up a good show. So I'd recommend playing the game first. Uh...CGI was also stupid as hell. The music and OP on the other hand were nuts, I love Niers OSTs and got kinda disappointed when I didn't hear them as much...Well...there's no one to blame for that.
To anyone who actually read this XD. I apologize for my bad English and writing skill.
Aruel_DesJan 8, 2023 1:09 AM
Jan 8, 2023 1:22 AM
Sep 2022
Best adaption!!!
Jan 8, 2023 2:00 AM
Aug 2020
Little bit disappointed coming from the game, the battle scenes are not true to the game at all.
Jan 8, 2023 2:03 AM
Oct 2016
Filling as i playing the games once more <3
Jan 8, 2023 2:11 AM

Oct 2010
Like many i played the game 5+ years ago.

Good start and a nice prologue in anime form, i see they want to immediately give some more world- and character depth from the get go.
Thats fair enough looking at the limited amount of episodes.
GOAT OST being used well.

Looking forward to the next one!
Jan 8, 2023 2:25 AM
Aug 2019
robot scene sucked with these horrible animation
Jan 8, 2023 2:59 AM

Oct 2008
Alright here we go! oh my god this is it! my body is ready!
oh damn! adaptation was just perfect!
i wonder how the staff of A-1 is working this? must be passionate! but of course this has direct supervision from Yoko Taro and Square Enix.
i'm just savouring the award winning OST! great job MONACA, Keiichi Okabe, Keigo Hoashi and the other great composers!!!
5/5.
matias067Jan 8, 2023 3:19 AM

Jan 8, 2023 3:00 AM
Feb 2021
Props to A-1 for sticking pretty much 1:1 with the game. One of the craziest game openings IMO. However, to be totally honest, the CGI isn't looking the best, especially after you see the amazing animated fight scenes that are a heavy contrast in quality compared to it. The puppet show was probably one of my favorite parts of the episode! The little easter egg with the game ending is nice.
Jan 8, 2023 3:22 AM

Nov 2022
It is a faithful recreation of the original game so far. Nothing bad about it though.
Buy my awesome BDSM male domination book here  https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/1174760

Visit my Discord https://discord.com/channels/1047490147794550844/1047490149161898039 I am not there most of the time but you can leave a message.

Or my blog here https://BDSMAnime.blogspot.com/
Or here https://BDSMAnime18.blogspot.com/

Submit to me and become my subject here https://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=88107
Jan 8, 2023 3:42 AM

Aug 2017
A faithful recreation of the first minutes of the first 2 runs of the game. I wondered how A1P was going to adapt the multiple endings, and the puppets at the end do a good job at it, IMO.

As I played the game in English, I don't feel that the dialogue in japanese is as strong. Particulary "Glory... to mankind".

I liked the way they adapted the hacking scene, tho I wonder how are they going to animate the true ending of the game, without that spaceship.

This is one of the first times I know the source material before watching the anime.. It feels wierd knowing what is going to happen.
ZenielDanakuJan 8, 2023 3:51 AM
Jan 8, 2023 3:47 AM

Oct 2013
ok ... i really wanted to watch this cause of the unique art of the game and the fan arts are really beautiful though i have no idea what the story is ... I hardly watch any mecha or cyborg so kinda felt turned of when started watching the ep but DAMN i'm glad i continued watching cause the story is SICK ... from what i got the universe it self doesn't even matter but the mean characters relationship & I like that ... Kinda know where this is going but talking more will be spoiler so i'll leave it at that for now till the whole show is finished ... yep recommend watching
Jan 8, 2023 3:53 AM
Jun 2016
i play and enjoy the game but im not delusionnal.
After the 1st ep my feelings are mixed.
feels like the anime goes way to fast, they dont really explain a thing,
you dont know what characters does.
you dont know why they are doint it..
you can’t breathe 2 seconds and admired the scenery
we just saw a bunch of fight that lasts few seconds each  or  2 minutes for the boss ...

still ost and animation looks great
valgadesuJan 8, 2023 6:52 AM
Jan 8, 2023 4:09 AM

Jul 2016
Im anime only. Not playing a games. Not understand anything what im watching. Quite boring episode. Also it have bad cgi. Instant drop for me.
Jan 8, 2023 4:16 AM
Jan 2018
jahver said:
That CGI is so jarring and awful it makes me think they just ripped models from the actual game and used them here. Already off to a terrible start aside from the 2B ass shots

From the interview 10 days ago , they mention something about square enix giving them the CG data
Jan 8, 2023 4:53 AM

Dec 2012
Self-destruct ending achieved
Jan 8, 2023 4:58 AM

Nov 2012
An okay episode. i'll keep watching but i'm not having my expectations high since most video games to anime adaptations usually ends up being mediocre.
I'm glad the original soundtrack is being kept, though. Nier Automata has one of the best soundtracks, A-1 Pictures studio is gonna struggle coming up with one as good.
Drastic-MeasureJan 8, 2023 5:12 AM
Jan 8, 2023 5:05 AM
Mar 2021
fena degildi aga :d
Jan 8, 2023 5:10 AM

Mar 2012
I haven't played the game and I didn't understand anything in the 1st episode, also I'm not a fan of sentient robots. 
Jan 8, 2023 5:14 AM
Dec 2016
I honestly think this looks quite poor. 3D CGI is pretty ugly imo. First episode for me was too much „Emo dead serious“ exposition. I don’t know if they should chronologically stick to the game’s storytelling or rather use a different angle. Best part for me was the puppet play at the end. This is what I expect from a Yoko Taro product. Something surprising and hilarious. I hope my impression will get better with the next episodes.
Jan 8, 2023 5:47 AM

May 2018
I hear violet voice on 2B, I pretend 2B is the future of violet evergarden
Jan 8, 2023 5:47 AM
Feb 2022
Definitely kept my attention. Never played the game, but looking forward to finishing the show.
Jan 8, 2023 5:49 AM

Jan 2021
Aside from the cgi the rest of the show is looking cool. Looking forward to see what the differences between the game and the anime are.

チュブリツァ

Jan 8, 2023 5:50 AM

Dec 2010
I don't really care about the story. Was looking for ass and got ass. 10/10
Jan 8, 2023 6:21 AM

Jul 2015

Ikr!! The first episode was poorly made in my opinion. I didn't really like it. I mean I had low expectations for it so I am not that disappointed, but I wish it was made differently with more effort put into it.

It looks decent so far but of course, it sucks compared to the game graphics, but it's to be expected after all. 

It did adapt the source faithfully and rushed through the parts that weren't really necessary. But maybe that's the biggest issue for me. I hope that there is more for us to see rather than them simply cheaply recycling the game into a different material. We will see in the next few episodes.
I am sleepy
Jan 8, 2023 6:27 AM
Mar 2021
3D average, animation good, speedrun story and cool 1st ending xD
Jan 8, 2023 6:37 AM
Dec 2021
Eu realmente gostei do anime, achei que eles começaram de uma forma muito boa que prende as pessoas e acaba fazendo com que a gente queira ver cada vez mais os outros episódiosnovos. A animação nem preciso dizer nada, tá perfeita e a dublagem em japonês tbm é uma coisa de outro mundo.

Mesmo sem ter jogado da para enteder o anime, que explica muito bem os acontecimentos até agora,
inclusive no final do primeiro episódio falou sobre algumas coisas.

Resumindo, eu recomendo esse anime até para quem nunca jogou como eu.
Marcela_tabbertJan 8, 2023 3:18 PM
Jan 8, 2023 6:40 AM
Jul 2017
It was nice seeing the game environments be adapted almost 1:1 into animation form, but I think it lacks some of the original's charm.
Jan 8, 2023 6:44 AM

Feb 2021
I'm a big fan of Nier Automata and I love it as much as the next guy but I'm going to break the echo chamber and say I'm disappointed with the cgi models. Actually low polygons, Transformers Energon level of 3D models. The action scenes are rough and the game has amazing soundtracks yet the first episode is very quiet. I'm trying my best to not compare between the game and the anime, but damn this is kinda bad. A-1 needs to step up their level. 

On that note, 2B at the end is very pretty and I hope the quality increase in future episodes. 2B's ass.  

[font="\"Proxima Nova Regular\", \"Helvetica Neue\", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif"][/font]
"Nobody could laugh at someone who's trying their hardest" -Machio-

Jan 8, 2023 7:00 AM
Jun 2014
As a huge fan of the game, this first episode disappointed me a bit. The adaptation seems good in script side, but for me it obvious that Square Enix wasnt happy enough in giving a low budget for the game, they gave a low budget for the animation too. The CGI and the low FPS scenes let obvious that the show are suffering of budget problems.
Also, I dislike this 2B design. This lipstick are weird and dont fit her, although she use lipstick in game too, it doesn't seem so exaggerated as it seem on anime.

Overall I give this first episode a 7/10. It was good, but could be much better. 
Jan 8, 2023 7:14 AM

Jul 2015
Have you ever seen so much different combat details in a single episode before?
Jan 8, 2023 7:22 AM

Jul 2015
Words cannot describe how beautiful they are adapting this.. this 100% has Yoko Taro touches on it.. Also love that they spiced up 2B scenes when she meats 9S and at the end.. Looks like the anime really will be slightly different but better..

Also.. This anime is going to be 24 Eps.. and Holy hell.. The game story at max should take 18 Eps.. So the anime will 100% have anime original stuff and I'm ALL FOR IT!
Jan 8, 2023 7:46 AM

Sep 2020
The fight scene is both great and a bit odd at the same time, I know it’s adapted from the Nier game but the visuals does take some time to get used to it, also the story seems interesting.
Jan 8, 2023 7:52 AM
Aug 2017
Will they really show all the endings of the game in the little scenes at the end? That's gonna be fun for some of them lmao xD
Jan 8, 2023 8:12 AM

Jan 2023
+ Music is there
+ Super faithful to the game in certain details (UI, sfx, general atmosphere)
- CG looks horrible/dated, like early 2000s anime

Enjoyable if you are a big fan of the game or sci-fi, but I think it's better to just play the game.
Jan 8, 2023 8:25 AM
Feb 2017
Good so far. I personally think that people may be being harsh with it because it is not exactly like the game, but being able to comprise so much information is achievement in itself.
Jan 8, 2023 8:29 AM
Feb 2018
the CGI was a bit overloaded but overall it was good
Jan 8, 2023 9:25 AM
Mar 2020
Loved the first episode
Jan 8, 2023 9:44 AM
Jul 2020
Um bom episodio, sendo muito fiel ao prólogo do final A e B, mas o cgi me deu uma sensação estranha, mas com o decorrer dos episodios espero que melhore.
Jan 8, 2023 10:04 AM

Mar 2017
The nostalgia train is hitting me, god I miss NieR:Automata. Also 2B butt and that ending U.
Jan 8, 2023 10:24 AM

Jun 2015
I have the game on my wishlist's but never dropped into it because life things got in the way and living costs etc etc, so Im not sure of any backstory but given this first eps i dont think I need to worry. I just got dropped shipped into an awesome story. Lets go!
To have you, Id give a billion lives A-Chan best girl
Jan 8, 2023 10:25 AM
Mar 2022
I genuinely can't decide whether I love or hate this cgi.

On one hand, it looks like dog sh*t whenever nothing super actiony is happening. And whenever a character or ship is idle it looks like the animation that Bocci The Rock used in that one scene that gets memed so often. It looks like a game dev's most early beta of a game that eventually will look super cool, but right now it just looks like t-posing blendr models in t-posing ships.

On the other hand, the 2d animation and the 3d animation go so hard together in tandem. The action goes so hard to the point where it has the same effect as chainsaw man, where the CGI is noticable but not bad. When the CGI isn't the main focus and you can see a wide shot of a landscape it actually looks super cool, hell, beutiful and amazing.

Also, the story is somewhat confusing but I would assume that's mostly because I'm a newcomer to this franchise. This did get me pretty interested in the world and story as a whole tho, so I hope what comes next can really suck me into this world.
Jan 8, 2023 10:30 AM
Apr 2022
if nothing else, it makes me want to play the game again
Jan 8, 2023 11:02 AM
Oct 2020
pretty good, but the 3d models look terrible and completely out of place
Jan 8, 2023 11:14 AM
Apr 2021
Cgi was mediocre, reminding me of 2017 Berserk. The 2d was fine in my opinion. I think I didn't like this episode because I played through that intro at least 5 times.
Jan 8, 2023 11:21 AM

Feb 2014
The game is one of my favorite games of all time and I gotta say I’m feeling good about this adaptation after this episode. The post-credits scene definitely gave me the impression that the staff are also huge fans of the source material. This should be in good hands!

The only CG that looked jank was when the flight suit went into mech mode. The Goliath CG blended well. The 2D animation was fantastic.

I’m really looking forward to more!
Jan 8, 2023 11:22 AM

Jan 2018
As someone who hasn't played NieR, I quite enjoyed the anime. Sure some of the CGIs were rough around the edges and stood out. But other than that I still found myself enjoying it. I might check out the game later but for now I'll stick with the anime.
Jan 8, 2023 11:25 AM

Aug 2018
have to say so far its promising, hopefully it gets the cyberpunk treatment

Jan 8, 2023 11:35 AM
Jun 2021
Well... The CGI looks like textures from the actual game. I am not sure whether this was a good decision to copy the textures style 1:1. The movement looks smooth, the colors are blunt (that is a good thing) and the music is magnificent (since it's the exact same soundtrack that is present in the game). The puppet show was quite funny yet someone who did not play the game might find it extremely weird and hard to understand.

All in all I like the first episode and will wait for more. My only hope is that the ugly game textures as CGI will not appear too often.
Pages (10) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Why It got hate?

Otaku_guru - Mar 5

23 by Polvo_Aranha »»
Jun 6, 6:19 AM

Poll: » NieR:Automata Ver1.1a Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 21, 2023

149 by Seygneur »»
May 27, 11:32 AM

Poll: » NieR:Automata Ver1.1a Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Embient - Jul 23, 2023

112 by SettyLove »»
May 16, 5:08 AM

Poll: » Are you an Anime-only or Player of the game?

Rob7 - Apr 27

16 by Kirito_Sama_ »»
May 4, 1:10 PM

Poll: » NieR:Automata Ver1.1a Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 4, 2023

105 by Rob7 »»
Apr 26, 9:05 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.