Forum Settings
Forums

Is there any anime that actually scared you?

New
Mar 15, 2022 9:27 AM

Oct 2021
I dont really know if some animes actually scare people or it does not. Just wondering if there are really any horror animes that can scare you out there, not just the creepy and weird ones. (i know that sometimes it depends on the person watching, im just curious)
Open for some recommendations! My tastes in anime has been pretty weird lately
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Mar 15, 2022 9:33 AM

Oct 2017
I remember watching corpse party as a kid and it scaring me off, lol. I don't think I even finished the first episode actually?
I did go on to play the game after that, though
That's the only memory i have of anime scaring me, i think
Mar 15, 2022 9:36 AM

Sep 2020
Probably the first season of Higurashi, it actually scared me when watching it.
Mar 15, 2022 9:36 AM
Review Moderator
Onii Chan

Mar 2018
Episode 5 of Flip Flappers, episode 8 of dusk maiden of amnesia, the murder house arc in ghost hunt. That's about it, anime is a pretty weak medium for horror.
Mar 15, 2022 9:42 AM

Feb 2021
No anime is not a medium which is good for horror
Mar 15, 2022 9:42 AM

Jul 2021
Perfect Blue and Higurashi gave me nightmares but was worth the experience I guess.
"......If I told you that I was a real witch, would you believe it?"

Mar 15, 2022 9:43 AM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
Yes, the post apocalyptic ones. Like anyone who is in my field of work, would know we're heading for one.. the tropics are already done, won't last till 2040 and then the world by 2100.

Also medical mangas made me aware of so many diseases that scares me too.

Mar 15, 2022 9:45 AM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
ryo-san said:
Yes, the post apocalyptic ones. Like anyone who is in my field of work, would know we're heading for one.. the tropics are already done, won't last till 2040 and then the world by 2100.

Also medical mangas made me aware of so many diseases that scares me too.

I don't think I was ever scared of ghosts Anime, horror, thriller, psycho genres. I don't find them even remotely scary

Mar 15, 2022 9:54 AM

Apr 2021
Personally, no. I don't get scared by shows. If I watched some scary ones though when I was a kid I'd probably get pretty unnerved. But, sadly I didn't start watching anime until middle school (if we don't count Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh).
Mar 15, 2022 9:59 AM

Mar 2020
i remember watching the levi no regrets OVA and that abnormal titan scared the shit out of me,i was like 11 at that time i think
Mar 15, 2022 10:03 AM

Oct 2021
takamono said:
Probably the first season of Higurashi, it actually scared me when watching it.
CQLLIST said:
Perfect Blue and Higurashi gave me nightmares but was worth the experience I guess.

oooh i've become more interested now with higurashi and i just started that a few days ago i think, thanks for your comments!
Mar 15, 2022 10:04 AM

Oct 2021
javitaxy said:
I remember watching corpse party as a kid and it scaring me off, lol. I don't think I even finished the first episode actually?
I did go on to play the game after that, though
That's the only memory i have of anime scaring me, i think

someone actually recommended me that, might look into it someday
Mar 15, 2022 10:05 AM

Oct 2021
KAMISAMA_69_ said:
i remember watching the levi no regrets OVA and that abnormal titan scared the shit out of me,i was like 11 at that time i think

Hajime Isayama really does have his ways of entertaining his audience
Mar 15, 2022 10:08 AM

Oct 2021
DiscordMod said:
Personally, no. I don't get scared by shows. If I watched some scary ones though when I was a kid I'd probably get pretty unnerved. But, sadly I didn't start watching anime until middle school (if we don't count Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh).

i see, well i kinda relate to you in terms of not getting scared on anime
Mar 15, 2022 10:10 AM

Oct 2021
ACasualViewer said:
Episode 5 of Flip Flappers, episode 8 of dusk maiden of amnesia, the murder house arc in ghost hunt. That's about it, anime is a pretty weak medium for horror.

wow very detailed, i'll try to look into it just for the experience.
Mar 15, 2022 10:24 AM

Feb 2021
Spirited Away scared the living shit out of me even when I'm 16
Mar 15, 2022 10:30 AM

Oct 2021
Crack said:
Spirited Away scared the living shit out of me even when I'm 16

relatable, the weirdness of it is hard to comprehend with, but i watched the "metaphors" or "theories" of the anime and it kinda makes sense, vaguely
Mar 15, 2022 10:38 AM

Feb 2020
Yes, mushishi epsiode 14 (Inside the Cage)
It weirded me out so much I stopped watching that anime.

Also I think phoenix (especially space chapter) has the same kind of horror (cosmic horror?) appeal too. But by that time I have gotten used to it. So it doesn't unnerve me anymore.
AdampkMar 15, 2022 10:46 AM
Click for a anime mashup!
BIO
Still not gone bandwagon u, keep crying. Here u are welcome to CRINGE at my EXISTENCE

Mar 15, 2022 11:04 AM

Oct 2021
Adampk said:
Yes, mushishi epsiode 14 (Inside the Cage)
It weirded me out so much I stopped watching that anime.

Also I think phoenix (especially space chapter) has the same kind of horror (cosmic horror?) appeal too. But by that time I have gotten used to it. So it doesn't unnerve me anymore.

Informative, thank you for your recommendation
Mar 15, 2022 11:12 AM

Apr 2017
I get that the Itou Junji anime was a bit of a meme in certain parts, but I had legitimate nightmares because of Fuchi.

Even if helping people is easy,
asking for help is a hurdle of it's own.
Kaoru Gojou

Mar 15, 2022 11:15 AM

Nov 2019
No, horror animes are not scary enough for that.
Mar 15, 2022 11:19 AM

Oct 2021
TimidSquid said:
I get that the Itou Junji anime was a bit of a meme in certain parts, but I had legitimate nightmares because of Fuchi.

yeah Itou Junji is a great author, but i prefer the manga ones, since they're scarier than the anime
Mar 15, 2022 11:25 AM

Nov 2016
Higurashi season 1 definitely unnerved me. That's the closest to the feeling of being scared with an anime
Mar 15, 2022 11:26 AM
Jan 2019
Berserk's apocalypse scene caught me off guard and also made in abyss as a whole (still scared of both)
Mar 15, 2022 11:28 AM

May 2014
corpse party was more disturbing than scary, but I think I was 15 when I watched it and it kept me up at night lmao
Mar 15, 2022 11:42 AM
Feb 2021
Lol so people nowdays scared of cartoons,good keep it up.
Ratings doesn't matter only enjoyment does.
Masterpiece or mid, generic or fresh,best or worst are all subjective
Eren is goat,and aot is still a masterpiece (eg.subjective opinion)

Mar 15, 2022 12:51 PM

Jul 2017
only before watching Shiki and seeing a promo art of Sunako

but after starting watching it it wasn't all that scary tbh
Mar 15, 2022 12:55 PM

Sep 2018
Tenshi no Drop still scares me to this day.
Mar 15, 2022 5:56 PM

Oct 2021
Pixel_Vapour said:
Higurashi season 1 definitely unnerved me. That's the closest to the feeling of being scared with an anime

i am now looking forward to watching higurashi
Mar 15, 2022 6:06 PM

Dec 2014
There have been certain moments which have scared/disturbed me, but I've never gotten any consistent scares throughout a whole show.
Mar 15, 2022 6:13 PM

Oct 2021
Short_Circut said:
only before watching Shiki and seeing a promo art of Sunako

but after starting watching it it wasn't all that scary tbh

i guess shiki does its part in the horror genre
Mar 15, 2022 6:23 PM

Oct 2021
PreachElectrick said:
There have been certain moments which have scared/disturbed me, but I've never gotten any consistent scares throughout a whole show.

you and me same
Mar 15, 2022 6:26 PM

Jul 2015
First episode of Devilman lady, and a few eps of Aria did.

It's kinda sad for the anime industry that, with all the horror shows I saw, the one which scared me the most was a slice-of-life about happy cute girls sipping tea in Venice.
Mar 15, 2022 6:46 PM

Dec 2014
andiidesu said:
PreachElectrick said:

you and me same

lol yeah, that's one of my favourite AOT moments. It's creepy in a cool kinda way.
Mar 15, 2022 7:01 PM

Oct 2021
Deathko said:

It's kinda sad for the anime industry that, with all the horror shows I saw, the one which scared me the most was a slice-of-life about happy cute girls sipping tea in Venice.

LOL! thats kinda sad, but sometimes it depends on the person watching since some are just scaredy cats
Mar 15, 2022 7:22 PM
Feb 2022
Another
Made me scared to go to toilet. Scared to get out from my chair. Etc
Mar 15, 2022 7:32 PM
Nov 2016
No, I just don't think it's possible for something so obviously not real can be scary. Maybe I could be jump scared, but I've never seen a jump scare in an anime before.
Mar 15, 2022 7:53 PM
May 2020
Yami Shibai freaks me out at times, not always but every now and then
Mar 15, 2022 7:56 PM

Apr 2015
It's factually impossible for an anime to be "scary".
"Well, she's flatter than a pancake"
-Mimi Alpacas
"Woof"
-Tobiichi Origami 
"Are you trying to turn the dormitory into a strip club!?!
-Atena Saotome 
Mar 15, 2022 8:01 PM

Oct 2021
Aaa- said:
Another
Made me scared to go to toilet. Scared to get out from my chair. Etc

LOL, well Another was kinda creepy in its own way
Mar 15, 2022 8:01 PM

Oct 2021
Eprico said:
No, I just don't think it's possible for something so obviously not real can be scary. Maybe I could be jump scared, but I've never seen a jump scare in an anime before.

True, i wish there was one or i still haven’t discovered it yet
Mar 15, 2022 8:03 PM

Feb 2019
Another was plenty scary when I watched it.
Based Certified.
I love anime armpits.
Mar 15, 2022 8:03 PM

Oct 2021
zesty79740555 said:
Yami Shibai freaks me out at times, not always but every now and then

Ooh the ghost stories, hmm might try them out someday
Mar 15, 2022 8:08 PM

Sep 2008
no, but dumbo sure did. that shit is terrifying.
馬鹿げた倫理 全部ガラクタで
Mar 15, 2022 8:09 PM
Jul 2018
Perfect blue, that shit got me fucked up. Good stuff though.
Mar 15, 2022 9:26 PM

Mar 2008
Well I don't really feel I get that scared much from anime or even horror in general but here goes...

About two episodes of Ghost Hunt were actually scary.

First season of Higurashi was good at making me wince at a certain scene but im not sure id say it overall felt scary or not. Beyond that season it's downhill on horror more just finishing the plot. I havent seen latest additions though at least not yet.

Perfect Blue is creepy at times but I didnt find it scary but maybe it's less an impact because I had first seen a certain film that was heavily inspired by it.

Some of the episodes of Yami Shibai are creepy. You just gotta get used to the animation style but it sometimes works in it's favour for making things feel creepy. Art style varies some between scenes and seasons. Some eps are just dumb but some are actually scary especially since it's largely based on urban legends and folktales so you get to wondering how they started.

Funny enough some episodes of the currently running Digimon Ghost Game are actually fairly scary. It's a horror themed season of Digimon but actually seems like it was made by someone that is an actual horror fan. Maybe it being a show targeted at kids and the way things are presented is what does it.

If anyone says Another Im going to laugh (oh wait some did lol)... It's the opposite of scary it's practically a comedy at times. If you ever seen the Final Destination horror film series it's basically like that. I legitimately laughed at some of the deaths. It's only a bit creepy in a few moments at most.

Some mentioned Shiki. I didnt find it scary at all to my recall. It's just horror themed, i felt no horror but maybe I missed something more subtle?. If you want vampires only anime that was subtly scary and didnt totally suck I recall is Diabolik Lovers. Not like scary scary but if you can kinda feel for the female main character you would get what I mean if you dont view it as merely a reverse harem it's categorized as, it's more like a gothic romance as in the dark side of love. I dont know if that was intentional or not but it makes it better to look through that lense. Ignore the lower rating that was result of people having wrong expectations for what the show was.

Boogiepop Phantom (not to be confused with the more recent adaptation Boogiepop and Others which on MAL currently both have same name in Japanese) has a nice creepy atmosphere. It's only scary in the sense of feeling uneasy and it being confusing because they dont really give you much of the story which may work for or against you ..Boogiepop and Others on other hand wasnt scary to me but helped me get what was going on in Boogiepop Phantom.

There is one scene from Serial Experiments Lain that was actually scary to me at least when I first saw it. Overall it will make you feel at least a bit uneasy from the atmosphere and confusion.

I think one or two episodes at least of Paranoia Agent were unsettling if I recall correctly. Not scary just psychologically unsettling.

Deathko said:

Lol

Yeah manga usually does horror better than anime. Doesn't help that current style of anime popular is too bright and crisp even when using dark colours and things are too stylized or CG to come off scary and they get too much focus on tropes or genres of anime over adopting straight up horror.
Mar 15, 2022 9:32 PM
Nov 2018
The only anime that has actually scared is Yami Shibai.
Mar 15, 2022 9:37 PM
May 2018
Try watching Yami shibai series. 4 min ep, some do really give me the chills.
Mar 16, 2022 1:55 AM

Aug 2021
Grisaia no Kajitsu's episodes where they focused on a character's attempt to survive on a deserted place - I don't know the actual term - were truly horrifying. Maybe it's because I didn't expect something so terrifying to happen, that I was so affected by those episodes.

+ Perfect Blue, some Shiki episodes, and DEEN's Higurashi at times.
Mar 16, 2022 2:05 AM

Sep 2021
Shiki and the first season of Higurashi.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » what is your stance on "i don't wanna watch that anime, the art style sucks" ? ( 1 2 )

ame - May 29

98 by LoveYourSmile »»
2 minutes ago

» Upcoming Dubbed Anime ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kenny_Stryker - Dec 17, 2017

9137 by anime-prime »»
11 minutes ago

» Why is fairytail the only Shonen anime that people complain for the power of Friendship when evrey other Shonen anime does.

Lol1268 - 9 hours ago

20 by KitsuFrost »»
20 minutes ago

» Anime which quality considerably decreased with production of new series

Shabo-kun - Yesterday

16 by KitsuFrost »»
21 minutes ago

» Is It Okay to Watch Anime All Day? ( 1 2 )

RedTea33 - May 30

60 by Touko »»
25 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.