Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Jul 14, 2021 1:54 AM

Sep 2012
Ahhhh... that confession scene. I was really at the edge of my seat because it was feeling like some shinkai stuff when Tsuneo was struggling to find Josee and the movie was just so close to ending. If the movie would just end without him finding Josee, that would just break my heart. The confession scene was done so extremely well. It felt very satisfying and impactful. Truly one of the best romance confession scenes and also, we just gotta treasure the kiss scene and be grateful for it because it's just so extremely rare to see a kiss scene for a standalone anime movie.

zamandzoe said:

Also, despite it being an obvious trope most people saw coming (and necessary to move the plot forward), the grandmother dying was extremely sudden. You can't avoid it being cliche, but I felt it should have been foreshadowed or built up to.

That's pretty much the point tho. People can just die suddenly with little to no warning and that's just the harsh reality of life. Your life can just be flipped upside down with a blink of an eye because of circumstances.
FlamingMangosJul 14, 2021 9:31 PM
Jul 14, 2021 9:32 PM

Jan 2010
Just got back from the theaters.

This was cheesy, sappy, melodramatic, and a story I've seen many times before, but I loved it.

It reminded me of the first time I watched Kimi ni Todoke, where the romance starts off awkward, but it's such a joy to see it develop. Additionally, I love it when the main couple helps and supports each other, rather than it being one directional. For example, I loved Ride Your Wave, but I admit that's one aspect of the film I found lacking. Here, I enjoyed how Tsuneo and Josee emotionally supported each other, while also helping them to physically move past their physical limitations to achieve their dreams.

That being said, Josee was somewhat responsible for Tsuneo's injury, so this was more of her repaying and making up for everything he's done. Had Josee never entered Tsuneo's life, he would have just went to Mexico anyways and realize his dream regardless. As it turned out, he never really needed to work for Josee, as he would have gotten that scholarship. A criticism of the film would be the imbalance of how much Tsuneo had done for Josee, while Josee couldn't really do anything in return. The only way she could help was after she inadvertently led to his accident.

Then again, I suppose that's why she wanted to leave his life, as she wanted to live independently and gain the strength to care for herself. Otherwise, she'd just be a burden, which must have weighed heavily on her. It took Tsuneo saying he wanted to stay with her on his own accord to resolve that tension, so perhaps the film thought this through.

For final thoughts, I walked into the film knowing so little that I couldn't even remember the title. I absolutely thought this was a Kyoto Animation film, as aesthetically and thematically, it seemed like something they'd do. I'm pretty surprised that this wasn't KyoAni.
Jul 14, 2021 9:45 PM

Sep 2012
Shocked said:

Then again, I suppose that's why she wanted to leave his life, as she wanted to live independently and gain the strength to care for herself. Otherwise, she'd just be a burden, which must have weighed heavily on her. It took Tsuneo saying he wanted to stay with her on his own accord to resolve that tension, so perhaps the film thought this through.

For final thoughts, I walked into the film knowing so little that I couldn't even remember the title. I absolutely thought this was a Kyoto Animation film, as aesthetically and thematically, it seemed like something they'd do. I'm pretty surprised that this wasn't KyoAni.

That part where Josee didn't pick up Tsuneo after he was able to leave the hospital because she wanted to just leave his life felt shitty imo. It felt very identical to how Tsuneno got into the car accident in the first place. Where you know, Josee treated Tsuneo poorly and just ignored him while he ended having to chase after her and then get into an accident to save her. Guess what? That exact thing pretty much happens again with Tsuneo having to go to all places to find Josee after he just left the hospital and then he runs after her without his clutches to save her... again! It's almost like Josee learned nothing.
FlamingMangosJul 14, 2021 9:52 PM
Jul 14, 2021 10:08 PM

Jan 2010
FlamingMangos said:

That part where Josee didn't pick up Tsuneo after he was able to leave the hospital because she wanted to just leave his life felt shitty imo. It felt very identical to how Tsuneno got into the car accident in the first place. Where you know, Josee treated Tsuneo poorly and just ignored him while he ended having to chase after her and then get into an accident to save her. Guess what? That exact thing pretty much happens again with Tsuneo having to go to all places to find Josee after he just left the hospital and then he runs after her without his clutches to save her... again! It's almost like Josee learned nothing.

On retrospect, the film used the "Josee disappeared from her house" plot twice, and tends to run away from Tsuneo a lot. It was also kind of awkward watching a man in crutches chasing after a woman in a wheelchair.

I still like the movie, but I admit, moments like those did give me pause while watching.
Jul 15, 2021 10:55 AM

Jul 2017
FlamingMangos said:
Ahhhh... that confession scene. I was really at the edge of my seat because it was feeling like some shinkai stuff when Tsuneo was struggling to find Josee and the movie was just so close to ending. If the movie would just end without him finding Josee, that would just break my heart. The confession scene was done so extremely well. It felt very satisfying and impactful. Truly one of the best romance confession scenes and also, we just gotta treasure the kiss scene and be grateful for it because it's just so extremely rare to see a kiss scene for a standalone anime movie.

zamandzoe said:

Also, despite it being an obvious trope most people saw coming (and necessary to move the plot forward), the grandmother dying was extremely sudden. You can't avoid it being cliche, but I felt it should have been foreshadowed or built up to.

That's pretty much the point tho. People can just die suddenly with little to no warning and that's just the harsh reality of life. Your life can just be flipped upside down with a blink of an eye because of circumstances.

But you see, the movie shot itself in the foot with that. During the funeral, someone said she had been having heart problems for a while. Yet that had never been stated or even implied prior to that moment.
If they had done so much as just foreshadowing it somehow or throwing in a minor detail, it would have been completely fine.
Sorry, the user you are looking for is not available at the moment. You are currently reading text generated by APSAB or "Auto-Programmed-Signature-Mataining-Bot" (patent pending).

ERROR CODE 1979-NIPUL-W3EB
Please Install the Latest Version of MAL.OS as Some Features of Certain Signatures May Not Appear Correctly. You are currently running MAL.OS.V4. Click here to download MAL.OS.V5.

APSAB Version: Beta.99

"If Seinfeld isn't your favorite anime, then you aren't watching anime correctly."
- Me

Jul 15, 2021 1:44 PM

Sep 2012
zamandzoe said:
FlamingMangos said:

But you see, the movie shot itself in the foot with that. During the funeral, someone said she had been having heart problems for a while. Yet that had never been stated or even implied prior to that moment.
If they had done so much as just foreshadowing it somehow or throwing in a minor detail, it would have been completely fine.

I mean, she's 80 years old right? Knowing that already tells you that she could disappear at any moment. Even if you knew about the heart problem, heart problems are sudden and people can just die just like that. You still wouldn't know when one can disappear if they have heart problems. You just can't really prepare for someone's death because there's not necessarily an accurate countdown.
Aug 1, 2021 4:18 AM

May 2015
very nice movie. 9/10.
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Aug 4, 2021 9:48 PM
Jul 2018
I liked it overall, but I do find it annoying how a love triangle was shoved in for no real reason. Without spoiling much, it just made me dislike a certain specific character that was beginning to grow on me.
Aug 13, 2021 5:21 PM
Mar 2018
josee is a bitch until the last quarter of the show. very sad mai lost. epic art tho. story was very formulaic and cliche. im tired cuz i stayed up last night talking with friends about morality of atomic bomb and oppression.
Aug 29, 2021 4:01 PM

Jul 2011
Great movie. And kinda depressing.
See Josee getting psychologically beaten multiple times, just hurts.

The most horrible people in this movie are the asshats that want to go fast in rain, and snow.

Im impressed how Mai didn't tried to kill Josee. Seeing how unnecessary aggressive she was when talking to Josee.

Things you just see in anime: A zoo tiger that looks active for once and do roar.

Kana is so beautiful both inside and outside.
Sep 2, 2021 4:26 AM

Mar 2018
This was pretty much Great!! I believe this anime needs more praise and Good rating..it's pretty much Awesome Emotional. Good animation, pacing,Best Story,comedy, and give u best Chill moment's
Sep 2, 2021 4:50 AM

Mar 2018
sfj4u said:
Incredibly heartwarming, a nice watch during a cold rainy day. 10/10
more than a nice if u watched it on a rainy day...i would love to watch that kinda animes on rainy day it feels more heartwarming ☺
Sep 2, 2021 4:58 AM

Mar 2018
DuckMarmalade said:
please this anime needs to be in the top 50 list. It was so beautiful.
I want it to be at least top10 since it's. Pretty much great so far ain't that poplar but I hope it's score goes up not downwards
Sep 4, 2021 12:30 PM
Jul 2016
excellent animation of a classic book. the animation, VA's, OST, and production were on point on the adapting of this classic into an animation. music associating the esteemed Evan Call and even included popular Eve was a great addition and really rounded out the production. book, Japanese Film, Korean Film, and now this animation, the story really still hits me with nostalgia no matter the form. overall a great adaptation for a classic.
Sep 5, 2021 12:14 AM
May 2009
The first show I watched ever since stopping watching anime for two years and I enjoyed it from the beginning to the end.
Sep 6, 2021 9:20 PM

Aug 2015
A beautiful movie , the art and animation were great and the characters were likable too(for the most part). I wish they made more anime like this to be honest

9/10
Sep 6, 2021 9:21 PM

Aug 2015
Chrono6 said:
The first show I watched ever since stopping watching anime for two years and I enjoyed it from the beginning to the end.
Any reasons why you stopped?
Sep 11, 2021 8:06 AM

Apr 2020
This movie is so beautiful!

The story of this movie is very good, as well as the visuals, and the Drama is also quite good.

Tsuneo and Josee meet by accident, lmao.
Josee likes to draw, and her drawings are good, and I love the scene where Josee encourages Tsuneo by telling the story "The Mermaid and the Winged Boy" with the drawings that she made. So that Tsuneo becomes more enthusiastic to pursue his dream.

Tsuneo confesses his feelings to Josee! that scene is so cute

as a person who likes Kansai dialect, I really like this anime, all the characters use Kansai dialect!

overall 8/10
Sep 12, 2021 8:26 PM

Dec 2015
Pretty disappointed. It's beautiful, but the drama and romance were pretty weak. The movie never managed to make me engaged in their relationship, to the point a romance with the other girl would be more natural. I still think it's a good watch, but this is just a weak 7/10 and nothing more.
Sep 13, 2021 2:12 AM

May 2020
Finally got around to watch it. Wasn't disappointed at all, loved it. 8+/10
Sep 17, 2021 9:39 AM

Jun 2016
this so beautiful and beautifulll !!!

8,5/10
Sep 26, 2021 5:22 PM

Apr 2012
I find it quite refreshing that the story did not follow the path of "One character must sacrifice their dreams and goals for the other."
Sep 30, 2021 12:12 AM

Jul 2016
Oh boy, shitty melodrama at its finest. We got another cast of "adults" that end up acting like a bunch of dumb teenagers and now it seems Japan is the most dangerous place on earth for girls in wheelchair.

Pretty bad movie overall. Josee is an unbearable 24yo tsundere who seems to have lived her whole life in a cave, Mai becoming a love rival was pointless and it only ended up making her character look like an opportunist bitch, script was full of boring cliches and cheesy asf resolutions and the drama was so over-the-top it felt comical.

3/10 - On the good side, visuals and sound were fantastic but that's to be expected.
Oct 24, 2021 11:03 AM

Dec 2013
This was surprisingly good. The main characters kinda remind me of the main duo from Toradora. Plus the ending in the credits was so awesome! I love shows that encourage people not to give up on their dreams even if it is going to difficulty to achieve him.
Oct 26, 2021 1:58 PM

May 2016
SouthRzVa said:
Oh boy, shitty melodrama at its finest. We got another cast of "adults" that end up acting like a bunch of dumb teenagers and now it seems Japan is the most dangerous place on earth for girls in wheelchair.

Pretty bad movie overall. Josee is an unbearable 24yo tsundere who seems to have lived her whole life in a cave, Mai becoming a love rival was pointless and it only ended up making her character look like an opportunist bitch, script was full of boring cliches and cheesy asf resolutions and the drama was so over-the-top it felt comical.

3/10 - On the good side, visuals and sound were fantastic but that's to be expected.

It seems that someone cannot read between the lines.

In the first case Mai faced Josee so that she would not tie the MC to her and prevent him from fulfilling her dream, the "he pities you" is obviously a lie, she knew how much the MC loved Josee but Mai wanted her to set him free and for that she lied.
She was not opportunistic, if she was, she would have taken advantage of the fact that Josee was not going to see the "boy she liked" and she did not need to tell her she was going to take advange of him, but she knew that he would not be happy with her and that is why she lied because Josee is so stubborn that it wouldn't have been possible otherwise.

I do not dispute your score, only that if you do not look beyond the words and actions that are seen with the naked eye, you may lose important intereactions, in life and anime.

Now, as far as my opinion about the movie is concerned, to be honest it is quite average, the beginning is nice but the moment when Josee tried to tie him to her made me quite stressed, the accident was largely her fault and the the fact that she did not go to visit him made it worse, the protagonist is quite soft and boring, I think that someone with a character as strong as Josee's would have given him a better contrast, Mai is the best girl in this movie although she does not stands out too much and the friend needed to appear more.
Accidents are too used and as someone who used a wheelchair. Josee is quite useless, I used a manual one but I'm sure that in an electric one you can turn over if you support your weight from one side to the other by swinging, they also have brakes that will prevent you from moving when you're in those kinds of places.
At the end Tsuneo ends up with Josee but I would have liked if both did not end together. Josee is fine without him and so he is without her, basically more character development instead a cheesy romantic dramatic story.
LastLuminescenceOct 26, 2021 2:02 PM
Nov 4, 2021 5:16 AM
Jul 2018
Not the best ending but I enjoyed it
Nov 6, 2021 2:57 AM

Aug 2020
After 11 months. Finally got to watch it.

yeah I know it's been out for a while but I waited for the BD since it isn't on any theatre near me and I waited for the fansubs lmao. Also haven't found the time but I've finally got to it.

It wasn't the tearjerker that I was expecting but a great watch nonetheless. Animation was beautiful and I thought the story was great. I was kinda getting worried with how Tsuneo got injured and I thought it was gonna end just like that but there's like an hour more lmao.

I think it tells us a good lesson to keep dreaming. To pursue whatever goal we want to achieve. To not let any hardship that life gives us affect those goals. To always have the courage to do things.

As someone else above me has said, it is quite average and the characters are boring in the first half, it was a good watch nonetheless. It was refreshing honestly. Didn't make me feel frustrated or bored at all.

It was a pleasant surprise to get a happy ending.
Nov 13, 2021 2:35 PM

Apr 2016
Great movie. I enjoyed it from the start to the end and i was kind of moved here and there. I’d recommend this one to them if someone should ever ask me.
Nov 17, 2021 8:02 AM

Jun 2020
Starts with a very interesting start and looking at the art style it looks so great with the encounters and shit it's going good so far

Really had me moved in some moments in the movie and I agree some parts were a bit "predictable" as the time comes but the wholesomeness just fills my feelings up and their cute moments together as they journey out the inside

And then tragedy came things are starting to get interesting as hope seems lost I know this movie will get up, Josee and Tsuneo will come to learn that things will start to get better if they move forward.

Just one thing to say about this movie Is that it's beautiful the art is so comforting the OST is calming the music with Eve with an outstanding performance just fills me up with feels coming from their music alone seeing this for myself while I question what's in it for me next really makes me wonder what lies ahead all in all I really enjoyed watching this and this entertained me at it's finest.
Nov 20, 2021 11:23 PM
Jul 2021
I really liked the animation it reminded me of Edward Hopper's art.
Nov 23, 2021 4:20 AM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
So while I overall really enjoyed it, I do still have some mixed feelings which will probably will align with pretty much everyone else's. But they're mostly good feelings though, but the bad ones were enough to hinder me from truly loving this film; which potentially was very possible.

Alright let's get the big major thing out of the way first: Tsuneo getting injured. By no means did that little pothole have to be there for Josee to get stuck in. But hey, you gotta have a major turning event to propel the plot forward for the final act. It's not necessarily bad writing, but it's so typical, and it's lazy. I was really enjoying it up until that point, but after that it began to kind of fall apart with more lazy writing and missed opportunities.

I think we needed to dwell on Tsuneo truly understanding what life was like from Josee's perspective. He like mentioned it once: "This is what it's like to not be able to reach for your dreams" or something like that. But after that he gets better and all is cool. I wanted at least one moment where maybe perhaps Tsuneo breaks down and cries in front of Josee, feeling her pain of not being able to reach what is so close. But no, he is sour for a good chunk at the beginning of his crippled period and even turns Josee away at one point. Would've love to see him show some newfound understanding for Josee's position, rather than mostly feeling sorry for himself.

Didn't FULLY get what was going on when Mai went to go confront Josee, but I'll just write down what I did understand. Mai confessing her feelings to Tsuneo at the hospital was her way of just getting it off her chest and moving on. She acknowledged that it was probably Josee whom Tsuneo had developed feelings for. So she goes to Josee's and basically taunts her by telling her she knows more about Tsuneo and loves him more; all with the intention of getting Josee to snap out of it and truly show her love to Tsuneo. Hence, why Mai claims afterward that she herself is "a good woman".

Josee reading her story to the children was definitely the best part of the movie for me though. Tsuneo had been supporting Josee all this time, and this time it was Josee's turn to pay back the favour and support Tsuneo; helping him get back on his feet figuratively and literally.

So there was a big fuss at the end where Josee never came to get Tsuneo at the hospital, and then after seeing she wasn't home, everyone went on a frantic search party for her. Turns out, she kind of just went on a casual stroll at night? I was expecting the lines to come out of her mouth after he found her, something like: "You need to focus on your dreams, so I'm distancing myself from you to help you" or something like that. Buuuut those words never came; she literally just says "I want to be an illustrator". Yeah ok that's great but you kind of left Tsuneo hanging there! And yeah Tsuneo somehow being there at that exact time and place to catch her was just, too much man. A bit too much.

Up until pot-hole-plot-device-kun showed up, I really was thoroughly enjoying it. It was a nice break from all the over-the-top-ness of your typical anime, it was nice to see some relatively real and genuine characters, and to just sit back and relax and watch a relationship bloom into something beautiful. The final half-hour-or-so, while having its highs, definitely had some lows. Somethings needed more focus, some things needed to be cut. But none of it is downright bad. It's mostly just missed potential.

All that said, this anime film tells the simple and typical story of the pursuing of dreams. But I do think this is probably one of the better, more moving ones regarding that story. It was told well but could've been told just a bit better. Would give it a 6.5 if I could, but I can't so I'm going to have to settle for a 6 or 7. Don't know how else to say this, but while I overall did really enjoy it, I think it also overall missed the mark on how good it should've been. Gonna settle with a 6 out of 10 from me.

Guess I'll go check out chris stuckmann's review now. Maybe he will change my mind about some things

NYANPASU
5700XT

Dec 1, 2021 8:18 AM

Aug 2018
I predicted every major event because it was all so cliched. There was only one question, will he stay or will he go?

Little of both, I guess?

Anyway it wasn't a bad movie but it's not something I'd ever want to watch again either. If Josee and....whathisname had any personality to speak of I might have cared more.

6/10
Dec 6, 2021 1:50 PM
Aug 2021
A bit cliche at parts, but wholesome and heartwarming on the whole.

I didn't expect Tsuneo to get injured, but while I feel we didn't see it to it's full effect, in a sense it made him realize how difficult it was for Josee.

I really enjoyed the post credits scene. The fact that they didn't go for something too sappy like "I'll forget about studying abroad and stay here forever" and instead show that he's actually doing it and visiting on his break is refreshing and adds the final touch both characters.

Movies like this are difficult to nail, because you only get about 2 hours max to build the characters, the world, etc. It was done incredibly well here if you ask me however, bar a few of the cliche moments. Well deserved 9/10.
Dec 10, 2021 1:50 PM

Feb 2020
That was a charming movie, I really liked Josee and Tsuneo (they were surprisingly easy to get attached to) the message was very sweet and the art direction was very good. It knew how to be touching.

But I felt like it was missing a little something, a lot of events felt quite forced, which is what prevented me from being as invested as I wanted to be for a large part of the movie, even if it improved at the end.
So well, I'm gonna give it a 6/10 (it should've been 6.5) ! It's a charming and sweet movie that I'll remember but it's really missing something, maybe it would have benefitted from being a bit longer.
Dec 21, 2021 3:07 AM

Apr 2015
Some cliches here and there but really good char. development and very heartwarming for sure.
Dec 31, 2021 8:30 PM

Jan 2011
this was a very classic case of cute and sweet i can't fault too much of the writing on the development between the two with only a hour and a half length

knowing next to nothing about this, it came out as quite the enjoyable watch with enough of a emotional grip while being nice on the eyes for it's visuals

some cliche bits here and there but a solid 7.5-8 movie worth the watch
Jan 20, 2022 7:27 AM
Jan 2021
One of the best Anime Drama i've ever watched💜💜💯💯. The ending was also good though❤ Best of luck for Tsuneo and Josee❤

-🇵🇭
Jan 24, 2022 12:29 PM

Apr 2019
This film has been on my ptw list since before it was released. It's been a little over a year now since the films release, and I've just now gotten around to watching it. So I'm a bit late to the party. But nevertheless, I actually loved this film more than I thought I would. I thought the ost really matched the atmosphere; gotta love songs by Eve. The art style wasn't anything crazy over the top but I liked it. The characters overall weren't bad. Nothing crazy special (aside from Tsuneo and Josee) but they were relatable which scores points in my book.

Overall, I really joyed watching this film and would encourage others to go and watch it.
Feb 3, 2022 10:44 AM

May 2015
Finally a Josee movie where they end up together, but boy, now we have a whole trilogy of the same story!
Feb 3, 2022 10:53 AM

May 2015
epidemia78 said:
I predicted every major event because it was all so cliched. There was only one question, will he stay or will he go?

Little of both, I guess?
If the original movie and its Korean remake are to go by then he'll go and leave her but because they didn't end it that way which was what I wanted because I had it with that ending then I assume he stays.
Feb 5, 2022 9:13 PM

May 2014
I beginning to nail all romantic standalone movies on the top list. This was not one of the best, but not the worst either. Nevertheless, it was a fine movie.
The romantic fine, but rushed here and there Also, the relationship between Mai and Tsuneo was thin and didn't make an impact on the viewers, according to me. However, the animation and the analog Little Mermaid story to the actual story were the best. All in all, a fine movie which I would give 4/6, or 6,8/9.
Feb 5, 2022 9:15 PM

May 2014
OrangeRafi said:

Josee reading the little mermaid picture book to the children on the library was so relatable for me since I'm bad speaking on public and also reading things aloud

We all. I am the worst at oral presentation or anything that includes a presentation.
Feb 7, 2022 7:15 PM
Jul 2018
Wow, the Josee character has 800 Favorites on MAL and the Tsuneo character has 180 Favorites. 😅 I thought Josee was a strong character to appreciate too, but geez, can the gap just be a BIT smaller? Tsuneo's a real OG.

Anyway, this was a refreshing anime. Usually, slice-of-life anime is about a dude who needs a girl to swoop in and give him character development. It's not often the rules are reversed. It's good to see a female lead you can really empathize for, if that's the right word.

Josee being so bitter is quite justified. Not to patronize the wheelchair-bound -- I'm sure they manage just find and adapt. But I can understand them feeling fed up after a while, with Josee saying things are "always out of reach".

STILL, Josee does know how to test the patience doesn't she. As insufferable as she was at times, I have to give her credit for character development.
But it would've been tragic if Tsuneo were handicapped for life. And the dude wasn't even all that pissed with Josee either. Like if he were significantly angrier than he was, I think it'd be warranted.

Him being handicapped forever, on top of wanting to scuba dive in Mexico. After all the studying and schooling and working two part-time jobs at once to fulfill a lifelong passion. Devoted, kind, stoic. He's a total alpha. That's why I'm surprised he doesn't have more Favorites.
I sure wish I had the motivation to spend all my time schooling and studying to achieve a goal.

Although I also admire Josee for wanting to pursue a career as a storybook illustrator or artist. And KUDOS to the movie for portraying that in a realistic light. A profession like an illustrator takes time, and you may have to get a job at an office or something while you hone your skills.

Big "A Silent Voice" vibes, and not just because the female lead has a disability.
Definitely a hard-hitting yet "feel good" movie.
A LOOOOOT of people here seem to be calling in cliche. Maybe I just don't watch enough drama movies, but I was actually quite content. While relatively predictable, I think each scene was executed just right. I don't think it ever got to be TOO cheesy. Even the more symbolic moments about going to the beach, or the storybook scene, or those deeper conversations, seemed MORE so on the realistic side. The movie was NEVER over the top and was actually very down to earth. Now that I think about it, this was just an animated live-action movie.

I'm seeing a lot of 6-7's. Me, I'm pretty hard to please, but I'm gonna have to give a thoughtful 8.5 to 9, on this one. I often go about my grading in a "cinema sin" kind of way, and I honestly don't have much to complain about. No inconsistencies, nothing too corny, realistic, emotional, and held my attention. Of course, everything was well animated and looked good aesthetically too. 8.5 to 9, for sure.
removed-userSep 2, 2022 4:43 PM
Feb 15, 2022 5:16 AM

Apr 2009
I've enjoyed the movie more than I thought I would. Beautiful animation, fitting soundtrack and good voice acting. I'm not big on romance but I also don't mind good ones, and though this one is quite predictable, the directing overall was satisfying, the characters, albeit not complex, are still well-established. The animation also helps a lot in that aspect, that the characters felt alive and likeable.
Also, I like that Tsuneo still decided to pursue his dream, even if that would take him far away. Too many times do I see characters giving up their dream (be it going oversea or to a different college etc), because of love and what not. Some people may find that romantic, but I often find such decision stupid.
Feb 18, 2022 9:49 AM

Jul 2014
I enjoyed the movie, maybe because i got soft spots to natural tsundere girl x caring guy
My fav sweet screen was probably in the park where he push josee's wheelchair but he's facing her also josee story telling
No comment for the drama tho

I also love the small comedic things in the movie and sea related.
Music is great since it's Eve and ost too
Gave it an 8/10 (also better characs than whisker away)
MurukoHiiragiFeb 18, 2022 10:26 AM
"Everyone fails sometimes
But dreams won't fade, dreams won't fade
Let's chase them as many times as it takes and don't lose
Because today after all is today and once you wake up, it'll be a new morning"

~Aqours~
Mar 6, 2022 6:40 AM
Jan 2020
Hm, pretty good. Maybe the drama is better, since it looks like it fleshes the cast better.
Mar 10, 2022 6:14 PM
May 2021
Although I somewhat enjoyed it but this is one of those forgettable movie that you don't care after first watch.
Mar 12, 2022 1:51 AM

Jan 2021
wow i really dont know what to say about this anime..

like its not really unique and there's some scenes where it really cringes me out (but i mean all romance anime have those) but its a good watch, the animation, the art , the ost all of it is really just so beautiful..

I dont know but out of all the things that happened in this movie, the one that made me tear up is the scene where josee is telling a story.. I dont know but that message she's trying to tell really just hit me..

Mar 20, 2022 5:01 PM

Jan 2020
very cute anime, made me sad and happy multiple times, 9/10
Mar 28, 2022 2:38 AM

Sep 2012
shiroi-ookami said:

Also, I like that Tsuneo still decided to pursue his dream, even if that would take him far away. Too many times do I see characters giving up their dream (be it going oversea or to a different college etc), because of love and what not. Some people may find that romantic, but I often find such decision stupid.

You know, I can't say I recall an anime where the character gives up their dream because of love.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

» Question about the ending

mechian - Dec 24, 2020

29 by RobertBobert »»
Jun 17, 12:00 AM

» About Mai ( 1 2 )

iwun1 - Jul 25, 2021

50 by removed-user »»
May 30, 11:21 PM

Poll: » Which version of the story is better?

Old_School_Akira - Jun 18, 2021

16 by Kimuraa_ »»
Apr 22, 8:28 AM

» Can you suggest similar hidden gems like this?

zSlayPaladin - Jan 16, 2023

46 by the_slothes »»
Jan 14, 3:40 AM

» movie ending exists.. protagonists be like Run

kakarotto354 - Sep 13, 2023

5 by Yeshaiah2015yesh »»
Sep 14, 2023 8:47 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.