Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 25, 2021 11:09 AM

Jun 2021
Am i the only one who feels bad for mai? . I mean she tried her best to win tsuneo over but she couldnt. Ahh why do the short haired girls are always the one who's gonna be rejected, like ichigo from darling in the franxx i dunno why but i feel bad for ichigo ngl
ricch1_1Aug 20, 2021 11:01 PM

Jul 25, 2021 11:32 AM

Jun 2021
Yeah your the only one who feels bad
Jul 25, 2021 12:06 PM

Jun 2021
Yo_ItzChika said:
Yeah your the only one who feels bad
okay, lmfao i just feel bad for her cus she tried her best and she has some kind of nice body hehe

Jul 25, 2021 12:22 PM
Mar 2018
Danxxd said:
Am i the only one that feels bad for mai? , i mean she tried her best to win tsuneo over but she couldnt. Ahh why do the short haired girls are always the one who's gonna be rejected, like ichigo from darling in the franxx i dunno why but i feel bad for ichigo ngl

Yea me too, I also feel bad for the girls who get rejected even though they tried their best, but here, josee also gave a lot of effort like she made that story which gave him a lot of hope, if she didn't then it would have taken a lot for him to recover a d that level of hope I don't think mai could provide in such a short time maybe in the long run she might have.
AnidexJul 25, 2021 12:25 PM
Jul 25, 2021 12:23 PM

Jun 2021
She did try her best but the problem was she wasn't the main character ...
Lol😁
Jul 25, 2021 12:29 PM

Oct 2020
I dont feel bad for her since im pretty sure thats not how it works, its not all about who tries the hardest, he just isnt interested in her.

I still like her tho, even after that scene at josee house. If it wasnt for her, Josee wouldnt had the motivation to change
Jul 25, 2021 1:19 PM
Mar 2021
Yeah i felt bad for her too cuz i relate to her lol
Live...so that when it's your time to go, people will say,
"You fought well."
Jul 25, 2021 1:36 PM

Jul 2017
You're not the only one lol, I definitely think Mai was the better pairing, or at the very least the least toxic one out of the 2.
Jul 25, 2021 3:44 PM
Jun 2021
Danxxd said:
Am i the only one that feels bad for mai? . I mean she tried her best to win tsuneo over but she couldnt. Ahh why do the short haired girls are always the one who's gonna be rejected, like ichigo from darling in the franxx i dunno why but i feel bad for ichigo ngl
Danxxd said:
Am i the only one that feels bad for mai? . I mean she tried her best to win tsuneo over but she couldnt. Ahh why do the short haired girls are always the one who's gonna be rejected, like ichigo from darling in the franxx i dunno why but i feel bad for ichigo ngl

I feel It too, she still has more charisma than Josee.
Jul 25, 2021 8:23 PM
Jul 2016
I don't really feel bad for Mai because she was just selfish. Love is a selfless act and that means being able to let go. Ultimately, Mai admits that she didn't want him to go, that his dreams were something that he needed to give up and not once did Josee ever imply something like that. Josee was hurt upon hearing about Tsuneo traveling abroad, but she never made it out to seem like it's something he shouldn't pursue out of her own self-interests. In fact, Tsuneo neglected to tell her about traveling abroad, especially when he had plenty of opportunity to do so in a graceful manner. The plot did a good job of not handing everything to Josee just because of her disability. At the end of the day, Tsuneo didn't choose Josee out of sympathy for her condition like Mai implied, it was because Tsuneo actually loved Josee and Josee's support helped him fully realize it. You can tell the entire time that Tsuneo wasn't really interested in her like that, so her toxic behavior was just wack. It's hard to feel sorry for Mai when all she did was be a secret admirer who decided to be petty and borderline manipulative and that makes me cringe because that's not how you love somebody.
OryousJul 25, 2021 8:44 PM
Jul 26, 2021 1:17 AM
Jul 2021
no one said that she was rejected
that boy just fellow his dreams but for they no one know what vil be in the future and the movie is based o a real story so i
think there is something that they didn't said in the movie
Jul 26, 2021 2:01 AM

Sep 2012
crystisicristy said:
no one said that she was rejected
that boy just fellow his dreams but for they no one know what vil be in the future and the movie is based o a real story so i
think there is something that they didn't said in the movie

Mai is a character created just for the anime movie only. She doesn't even exist in any other story and this movie is extremely loosely based on the original novel. It's better to consider it to be inspired by it rather than "based" on it because of how different it is. So this talk about it being based on a real story tells me you have no idea what you're talking about. Also, it's pretty heavily implied that there's something going on between Hayato and Mai in the end and it's clear that Josee and Tsuneo's feelings for each other are very strong even after a year has passed.

Short_Circut said:
You're not the only one lol, I definitely think Mai was the better pairing, or at the very least the least toxic one out of the 2.

I mean, the fact that Mai wasn't able to get Tsuneo back on his feet when he's in the worst state is enough evidence to tell you that she isn't the one.
FlamingMangosJul 26, 2021 2:08 AM
Jul 26, 2021 2:39 AM
Jul 2021
i wrote this i a joke because i am a fan o darling in the franxx and vhen i hear he sayng that he fell bad for ichighoe its 🙃
Jul 26, 2021 3:04 AM
Apr 2021
Oryous said:
I don't really feel bad for Mai because she was just selfish. Love is a selfless act and that means being able to let go. Ultimately, Mai admits that she didn't want him to go, that his dreams were something that he needed to give up and not once did Josee ever imply something like that. Josee was hurt upon hearing about Tsuneo traveling abroad, but she never made it out to seem like it's something he shouldn't pursue out of her own self-interests. In fact, Tsuneo neglected to tell her about traveling abroad, especially when he had plenty of opportunity to do so in a graceful manner. The plot did a good job of not handing everything to Josee just because of her disability. At the end of the day, Tsuneo didn't choose Josee out of sympathy for her condition like Mai implied, it was because Tsuneo actually loved Josee and Josee's support helped him fully realize it. You can tell the entire time that Tsuneo wasn't really interested in her like that, so her toxic behavior was just wack. It's hard to feel sorry for Mai when all she did was be a secret admirer who decided to be petty and borderline manipulative and that makes me cringe because that's not how you love somebody.
I completely agree with this one.
Jul 26, 2021 3:08 AM

May 2021
i never hate characters but i hated that dumbass with a passion, trash character

best signature
Jul 26, 2021 4:32 AM
May 2021
Yeah... I don't relly like her
Jul 26, 2021 3:15 PM

Jul 2017
FlamingMangos said:
Short_Circut said:

I mean, the fact that Mai wasn't able to get Tsuneo back on his feet when he's in the worst state is enough evidence to tell you that she isn't the one.

That doesn't necessarily mean she isn't the better option. Tsuneo was already infatuated with Josee and she knew that, not much more she coulda done

and like I said, she's still considerably less toxic of an individual than Josee
Jul 27, 2021 12:22 AM
Jan 2021
I mean I don't really mind her. I didn't felt bad because its obvious that the mc will date Josee at the end, and I prefer Josee anyways.
Jul 27, 2021 1:17 AM
Feb 2021
Yeah, feel bad for her too. She deserve better.
Jul 27, 2021 8:17 PM
Nov 2020
She tried her best
Aug 13, 2021 9:37 PM
Aug 2018
Fuck that bitch......
Aug 14, 2021 10:02 PM

Apr 2018
Nah definitely didn't feel sorry for Mai cause at the end of the day she's selfish af even if she's nice and ultimately well-meaning, but I will say that she's certainly an interesting character especially as a foil to Josee.
Aug 21, 2021 1:31 AM
Jan 2020
DanieLDesuu said:
Am i the only one who feels bad for mai? . I mean she tried her best to win tsuneo over but she couldnt. Ahh why do the short haired girls are always the one who's gonna be rejected, like ichigo from darling in the franxx i dunno why but i feel bad for ichigo ngl
well it's always like that, mostly in harem genres, ngl I did kinda feel a bit bad but not too much I already expected it from the start lmfao! And also isn't josee a short haired too?
Aug 21, 2021 2:16 AM

Jun 2021
ClassyBlitzz said:
DanieLDesuu said:
well it's always like that, mostly in harem genres, ngl I did kinda feel a bit bad but not too much I already expected it from the start lmfao! And also isn't josee a short haired too?
She was long haired until she cuts her hair so...uhh, Yeah you're right she's short haired

Sep 2, 2021 12:42 AM
Feb 2021
SalvadorDio said:
I mean I don't really mind her. I didn't felt bad because its obvious that the mc will date Josee at the end, and I prefer Josee anyways.
it's not obvious in original source they break up in the end this movie changed the ending and make it a happy end
Ratings doesn't matter only enjoyment does.
Masterpiece or mid, generic or fresh,best or worst are all subjective
Eren is goat,and aot is still a masterpiece (eg.subjective opinion)

Sep 2, 2021 2:41 AM
Jan 2021
shivamrajput958 said:
SalvadorDio said:
it's not obvious in original source they break up in the end this movie changed the ending and make it a happy end

Oh okay thanks for the information.
Sep 2, 2021 5:32 AM
Apr 2021
Oryous said:

Exactly, she is sooooo selfish, and toxic. You pretty much said everything that needed to be said. Just finished watching this and was pretty salty about how high she was rated
Sep 4, 2021 5:11 PM
Dec 2018
The best answer is obviously she is not the main chara, but this is the writer's fault, why the writer makes Mai looks so perfect (for me). First Mai is pretty and cute at the same time, her behavior to tsuneo is really good, and to Josee is good too if you look at the scene that's Mai visited Josee's house, except the second time that her met Josee, yes I know it's very inappropriate, but in terms of love you all will definitely do the same thing to get him right? I feel like it's still unfair that a good girl like Mai doesn't win lol 😂
rafivadraSep 4, 2021 5:15 PM
Sep 6, 2021 8:32 AM

Oct 2009
She wasn't toxic, she just behaved like a desperate girl because Tsuneo got into an accident. This girl was distraught and the way he confronted Josee was exactly because she knew Josee loved Tsuneo and that Tsuneo loves Josee. She just pushed Josee to work on her courage and realize she also loves Tsuneo.

Love is a selfish thing but she never prevented Tsuneo to go anywhere. She was a plain girl (bec she was normal), and even if she was a good person, Tsuneo simply fell inlove with how Josee sees the world.

I feel bad for Mai simply because she got rejected but that is love~ lol
Oct 3, 2021 6:57 AM

Mar 2013
Honestly she's just a selfish brat. She doesn't love Tsuneo, otherwise she would have supported him and his dream instead of thinking that his dream was silly hoping that he would give up and stay by her side without caring about how he really felt :/
Oct 5, 2021 7:56 AM

Oct 2009
LuluVanille said:
Honestly she's just a selfish brat. She doesn't love Tsuneo, otherwise she would have supported him and his dream instead of thinking that his dream was silly hoping that he would give up and stay by her side without caring about how he really felt :/

Love is the ultimate act of being selfish, you want them to be yours and yours only. What you would do about that feeling is up to you, but love in itself knows no pity or shame. Many people throughout history has done terrible things in its name, while others has done great things in its name, regardless of the action that people done and it's outcome, none are considered less genuine than others.
The most important things in life is the people that you care about
Feb 9, 2022 5:30 PM

Apr 2014
LuluVanille said:

Selfish how? Isn't that Josee? Pretty much everything bad that happened was because she was stubborn and selfish. And btw, the scene with Mai where she says his dream was silly was a lie so that she can spur Josee on. How was that not obvious?
She even said a bit before that she didn't confess her feelings for him to not interfere with his dream.
Also, I dislike situations where one falls in love with someone just because they have to take care of their every need, but they are oblivious to others that seem to handle everything perfectly fine.
Feb 9, 2022 5:32 PM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
Yeah I'm one of those who actually usually prefers the girl who gets rejected/sidelined. In this case, I did thing Mai deserved better.

I am an ichigo-sympathizer as well though, so maybe my opinion is invalid LOL

NYANPASU
5700XT

Feb 18, 2022 10:00 AM

Jul 2014
Imo, her character didn't grow on me and didn't felt sorry for her

Imma admit that i love natural tsunderes, josee may be someone annoying to other viewers but how she felt guilt and fix things when movie moves grew to me. (Also even with that, her natural tsundere is consistent not turned to a completely diff person like how other stories does)

hope someone gets me lol (eng is not my 1st lang)
"Everyone fails sometimes
But dreams won't fade, dreams won't fade
Let's chase them as many times as it takes and don't lose
Because today after all is today and once you wake up, it'll be a new morning"

~Aqours~
Mar 27, 2022 2:30 AM

Aug 2017
HiroButWithoutKI said:

I totally feel bad for her. She was hot and charming and should have won.

It looked like she started flirting with the bro character in the end. But Mai should have won.
May 21, 2022 12:45 PM
Oct 2021
Once she said to Josee that MC felt sorry for her, she became my second most hated anime character right after the a-hole girl in "A Silent Voice".

I don't feel sorry for someone who treats other people like that.
Jun 14, 2022 12:13 PM

May 2022
No, she doesn't know how to get him out of his depressed state in the hospital. She kind of just gave up and asked josee to do something as she didn't know what he needed. For all her knowledge about him she failed to give him what he needed, which was the motivation to not give up on his dreams. Josee had the same experience as Tsuneo having this dreadful feeling of helplessness and fear that there dreams where not possible anymore. Each character giving each other the help they needed to move forward in there life and goals.
ZoopiezJun 14, 2022 12:21 PM
Jul 11, 2022 5:19 PM
Jul 2008
I agree with @Leonhart93

Very strange to say that Mai is selfish while Josee was shown as very selfish the entire movie, the reason Tsuneo got to accident was also her selfishness.

In the end she also disappear without telling him when she supposed to meet with Tsuneo on his discharge day.

Why Josee won Tsuneo's love was because she's the one pushing him to pursue his dream.
She realized that she can't keep him, she has disabled body, what can he do for him? The only thing to do is to make him keep pursuing his dream.

Mai was not really selfish, she knew about Tsuneo's dream going to Mexico, that's why she didn't confess to him because she didn't want to shackle him. After the accident, Mai realized that Tsuneo has little chance to pursue his dream, even his teacher also told him to give his spot to someone else. Realizing this, she want to keep him by his side and care for him, but Josee was still chaining him that's why Mai pursued Josee.

In reality, the chance of going to be able dive after that fracture was slim, I used to do snorkeling so I knew you need a strong knee to do that. He also need money when living in Mexico, so he will be having hard time to do part time job if he can't even properly walk.

I too feel bad for Mai.
But this is a fictional story, so the idealist(Josee) won instead of the realist(Mai).
LeonLanfordJul 11, 2022 5:26 PM
Aug 7, 2022 11:26 AM
Jul 2020
shivamrajput958 said:
SalvadorDio said:
hold up what do you mean break up who breaks up
Aug 7, 2022 12:26 PM
Jul 2020
sushio1_1 said:
i didn’t enjoy darling in the franx because of certain things btw did may stay single I know it showed a glimpse of her with hayato but I don’t really see them dating
Aug 7, 2022 12:28 PM
Jul 2020
TrumpMD said:
HiroButWithoutKI said:

I totally feel bad for her. She was hot and charming and should have won.

It looked like she started flirting with the bro character in the end. But Mai should have won.
she never flirted with hayato I just finished it but we do see them in the beach at the very end she’s in a bikini but we also had them like that when tsuneo was diving with them before the accident so I don’t think she dating him just my thoughts
Aug 14, 2022 4:37 PM

May 2015
she was a bit toxic
Aug 17, 2022 5:44 PM

Aug 2018
You're not the only one don't worry. I despised Josee, everything about her behaviour and the way she treated Tsuneo from start to end.
Aug 22, 2022 4:18 AM
Jul 2018
I knew from the start that mai had no chance but still i felt really bad for her
Sep 19, 2022 10:46 PM
Aug 2017
Mai is a pretend good natured girl. You can see her real character when she desperately tried to make josee give him up, which also led to the accident. That was just totally uncool and I'm surprised that best friend of the mc never said a word about this incident.
Oct 19, 2022 7:22 AM
Aug 2022
LuluVanille said:

Bruh . Do you have any Brain? She only did that to make josee move. She already know mc loved josee. Mai knew if josee don't step up and do things , mc will give up his dream. Learn to comprehend
Nov 7, 2022 5:04 AM
Nov 2022
Nah. She showed her true colors when she confronted Josee. Pretty selfish too, thinking she could make Tsuneo give up on his dream because "she will be there for him". Trash tier quality of character. Doesn't even deserve red head guy.
Dec 30, 2022 4:46 PM
Aug 2022
sushio1_1 said:

Ngl I wanted Mai to get with him just because Josee got in my nerves the whole movie 😭
Jul 16, 2023 2:04 PM

Jul 2015
So just another disgusting love triangle where the nice girl lost to a shitty tsunbitch

i was thinking about watching it but I'll avoid it now
Jul 19, 2023 9:01 PM

Jun 2022
Yeah I felt bad for Mai too. Her character wasn't perfect, but she was by far a better individual than Josee, who was a whinny brat throughout most of the film who caused Tsuneo all kinds of problems.

Can't say I'm surprised though. In anime when competing for the male protagonist, the female childhood friend (who usually has black/blue hair) will lose out to the tsundere (with orange/red hair) in 99.9999999% of all cases. Kind of reminds me of Toradora where...

More topics from this board

Poll: » Which version of the story is better?

Old_School_Akira - Jun 18, 2021

16 by Kimuraa_ »»
Apr 22, 8:28 AM

Poll: » Josee to Tora to Sakana-tachi Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Whateverlife - Apr 12, 2021

211 by uncleqrow »»
Apr 19, 10:02 AM

» Can you suggest similar hidden gems like this?

zSlayPaladin - Jan 16, 2023

46 by the_slothes »»
Jan 14, 3:40 AM

» Question about the ending

mechian - Dec 24, 2020

28 by merope28 »»
Jan 4, 8:48 PM

» movie ending exists.. protagonists be like Run

kakarotto354 - Sep 13, 2023

5 by Yeshaiah2015yesh »»
Sep 14, 2023 8:47 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.