Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jul 15, 2020 10:24 AM

Dec 2017
I liked the surprise, and I liked even more the social criticisms
possibles to extract from this episode. But, the character designs, the art in general of this anime give me a lot of agony.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Jul 15, 2020 10:31 AM

Jun 2016
Literally what the hell just happened, after ep 1 I was SO excited for this like it was anime of the season for sure, but I'm not really any more. Will still keep watching but I am so lost lmao I am so much less invested in whatever this new story is

Jul 15, 2020 10:32 AM
Jun 2019
So wasn't expecting this. Not so much as out of left field as out of unreality. In a good way.
Jul 15, 2020 10:35 AM
Review Moderator
Onii Chan

Mar 2018
I have seen a lot of large plot twists in anime, but is one of the most over the top twists in just 2 episodes I have seen.
Jul 15, 2020 10:45 AM

Jul 2016
Motherfuckers really be riding the line here.

There's so much stuff in this show that I would probably have dropped it for had it been in any other story, but somehow Deca-Dance seems to be making all this caustic weirdness work in a roundabout kind of way. It was definitely the right choice to drop us into the "game world" and show us the "NPC's" perspective first and drop the bombshell later.

It is a little bit jarring, but I do like the decision to make the quote-on-quote "game world" look so starkly more "real" than anything in the alien world, so we have a stronger sense of who to root for. It looks like they're taking this setting in a very strong anti-capitalist direction, just based on the language they were using, and I fuck with that.

Shit be weird but shit also be engaging, or at least a hell of a lot more interesting that anything I was expecting to get, and this is still the only good show coming out this season anyway, so I'm down for finding out where this story's gonna go in the future, wherever that may be.
ChilliePeppersJul 15, 2020 10:49 AM
Jul 15, 2020 10:48 AM
Feb 2014
alhiris said:
Wait what? So basically they managed to program that world, basically a full dive VR and that's how they have to solve the bugs? I find that kinda funny, I mean those guys made AGI and can't make an AI to handle bugs, seems legit.

Also this kinda plot twist is what I totally didn't expect, I feel like it went down in my own rating/expectations but maybe it'll turn out to be amazing.

No it's basically Westworld but with AIs as clients and real humans as NPCs
pixoJul 15, 2020 10:52 AM
Jul 15, 2020 10:53 AM

Oct 2012
I'm gunna need to watch the whole season just to answer what just happened in this one episode....
Jul 15, 2020 10:56 AM
May 2020
I think after episode 2 it shows that we should not judge at first. It is still good, don't underrate it.
Yuuri_SeraJul 15, 2020 10:59 AM
Jul 15, 2020 11:02 AM

Nov 2016
I'm kinda conflicted. I want to think of this as an interesting twist and truly, imo this has more potential than the supposedly initial premise, but the episode wasn't engaging enough.

Well, I'll keep an open mind.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jul 15, 2020 11:03 AM
Jul 2018
Lmao, last week everybody was complaining how this show is a RIP-off of AOT, so it is shit. And now, everybody is complaining how the show doesn't have a post-apocalyptic setting.
Jul 15, 2020 11:11 AM

Apr 2020
i was really anticipating this series until the strange twist they provided in this episode. they could have had an enjoyable series just following the lives of those on the deca-dence, rather than making this some whole alien scheme. will probably continue watching next week though to see if they can tie things together well
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 15, 2020 11:15 AM
Jan 2015
What the hell did I just watch.

Can someone make sense of what on earth is happening?
Jul 15, 2020 11:16 AM

Oct 2010
What do we get here?

There is a machine civilization (most likely created by humans of the past).
They are cute robots running on oxyone (fuel).
Fuel gathering organized as a Real World RPG.
Robots are controlling humans(humanity remains) via chips to hunt beasts and extract fuel.
Most likely only Gears are active players.
Human control problem is referred as a bug.
Due to rule violation Kaburagi was demoted to agent. He has to 'debug' while under cover.
He wanted to suicide via starving(not taking fuel).
Natsume is dead from system PoV (she almost died ep1) and out of control loop.
Kaburagi wants to see what uncontrolled human can achieve.
Jul 15, 2020 11:19 AM

Sep 2017
Interesting plot twist, I like it
Jul 15, 2020 11:24 AM
Apr 2020
Reading many of these posts, i do understand how this anime is not the style of anime you usually see. Which makes the wide range of opinions.
So far I like the concept of the anime and am interested in how the story will turn out. I only hope that it doesn’t become like BNA which I felt had a decently good start.

Unlike the first episode witch was introduced us to the world from the perspective of Natusme, the world view of the humans, this episode went much much deeper by showing us the world view of the aliens? And how unlike the humans, who fight to stay alive, the aliens play it as a game. The episode also explained many of my questions which I had from the trailer like how these people built the deca-dence, which was hard to imagine that the people could have made, similar to those anime like AoT and Kabaneri, which now is understandable when you consider that the aliens made it.
When I saw that the anime showed how Kaburagi was an alien in the opening, it frightened me for a bit, making me worried how it can spoilt the plot like SAO II. However, how the episode was about Kaburagi’s backstory Made it understandable. Also Natsume’s backstory from last episode which had some voices of it being out of place, makes sense now that there was a scene where Kaburagi searches up Natsume to find out that she’s registered as being dead.

Though I felt the story’s pace was a tad bit quicker than what was ideal, the information packed made up for it.
Overall, great episode.
Jul 15, 2020 11:30 AM

Mar 2017
This single episode has lost me. The concept and art style was so great in ep 1 and then... this. There's nothing wrong with the idea of these robots? aliens? actually being in control but why the fuck did was that children's TV art style chosen?! I can't take it seriously at all. Also, there were so many elements of this episode that were really confusing.
Jul 15, 2020 11:31 AM

Aug 2019
i LOVED the first episode but this???? no.

i didnt sign up for some sword art online shit
Jul 15, 2020 11:32 AM
Jul 2018
be disappointed It looked like a classic serious post-apocalyptic survival story, but it turned out to be another anime about a other mmo game with childish designs, it's absolutely stupid
Jul 15, 2020 11:37 AM
Feb 2009
I don't think that twist made the show better. I really don't.
Jul 15, 2020 11:38 AM

Mar 2017
Zexus95 said:
Lmao, last week everybody was complaining how this show is a RIP-off of AOT, so it is shit. And now, everybody is complaining how the show doesn't have a post-apocalyptic setting.

For me, it's not that it doesn't have a post-apocalyptic feel, I'm disappointed because the style of the anime is completely different from what was advertised and what was built up last week
Jul 15, 2020 11:53 AM

May 2016
Is this going to be Japan Sinks 2.0?

I’m not ready for this mess 😭😭😭😭
Down on the West Coast

They got a sayin'
Jul 15, 2020 12:02 PM
Jul 2019
WTf, with that cartoon like intro, were they saying that them humans were in a game like that of SAO and the players were those Gadolls????
Jul 15, 2020 12:02 PM
Apr 2014
a nice concept now mmorpg. guess i'm out
Jul 15, 2020 12:04 PM
Oct 2018
I felt like i as watching a trigger show but i don't mean that as a bad thing the twist being in ep 2 rather 18 *franxx* also helps
Jul 15, 2020 12:07 PM
Jul 2014
I audibly uttered ‘what the fuck?’ within the first minute.
I like when a show subverts your expectations. I’ve gone from expecting a standard ride to being much more intrigued.
Jul 15, 2020 12:10 PM

Dec 2009
What. The. Hell. Was. That.

Halfway through the episode I thought about giving up, but the cartoon style turned back to 'normal'. Didn't see it coming that there would be another level added and wrap around the original storyline and sekai that appeared in the previous episode. I will give the series a chance, I hope not in vain, but there is a (high) risk for dropping. Ganbatte! Don't get ruined!

And just noticed, the ending song is quite catchy. *thumbs up*
Jul 15, 2020 12:15 PM
May 2019
Wow, that was...Dizzying. I don't even know what to say. I'll probably have to re-watch that episode because I just kind of missed most of what happened because of how shocked I was the whole time.

I think I'm maybe going to like this, but I'm honestly really not sure.
Jul 15, 2020 12:29 PM
Mar 2011
This now legit reminds me of The Matrix except it's if Agent Smith and Neo teamed up to fight the machine overlord. I just love how the male mc looks like a cute little figure, but has that deep deadpan voice coming out of it too. I was iffy on the pilot episode, but this episode kind of sold it for me.
My Karma ran over your Dogma
Jul 15, 2020 12:33 PM

May 2016
what a twist for the second episode, really looking forward to seeing how they proceed now

Jul 15, 2020 12:35 PM

Oct 2018
alhiris said:
Wait what? So basically they managed to program that world, basically a full dive VR and that's how they have to solve the bugs? I find that kinda funny, I mean those guys made AGI and can't make an AI to handle bugs, seems legit.

Also this kinda plot twist is what I totally didn't expect, I feel like it went down in my own rating/expectations but maybe it'll turn out to be amazing.

It's not VR, it's all real, the humans and robots are physical beings. But the consciousness of the robots that live outside the dome is transferred to the bodies of the avatars (probably artificially created)
Jul 15, 2020 12:36 PM

Feb 2017
Only watching this show because of the Studio NUT that makes Titania (Youjo Zenki) and FLCL Alternative (One Episode).

The first episode was decent, the second was garbage don't like the "online gaming thing".
(the cartoonish style is ok)
Mmmm in Youjo Zenki there was a plot twist on the second episode where the Main Character is
"controlling" a little girl fighting a war in other place.

This is the same here, episode two have a plots twits.

Maybe if them leave the "esport gaming" thing behind, and show more of the
war killing the creatures and collecting her blood to keep their gigaintic robot alive and
there AI, and they do it in a seinen and mature way that i forgot the avatars, onlines, internet,
virtual stuff this can still be a good decent show to watch in quarentine.
Jul 15, 2020 12:36 PM

Oct 2018
If you are confused, just watch episode 2 again and rewatch episode 1, that answered all my questions, there are a lot of things in episode 1 that fix the plot holes of episode 2, it's just that at the moment of watching episode 1 for the first time we didn't see them as relevant
Jul 15, 2020 12:37 PM

Feb 2014
I thought I would be used to major plot twists already in anime, but this 2nd episode of Deca-Dence proves just how naive I was with that thought. XD

So yeah, having a plot twist this major as early as episode 2 was a big surprise. The view point of Kaburagi, along with the cutesy cartoon style visuals, shows the world of the aliens, who treat the Deca-Dence as a game. Kaburagi's whole back-story about how he became who he is now was sad, though.

Either way, Natsume shows up as being "dead" on his search data, which shows that she isn't being controlled by a chip, so he uses this chance to agree to train Natsume, which is what she wanted.

Either way, there's a lot of information to digest here, so I most likely need to re-watch this episode again or read another user's more detailed post, but this episode did succeed in getting me curious and interested in the world building, so I do look forward to seeing more of that. The OP/ED was pretty good, too. =)
Jul 15, 2020 12:38 PM

May 2018
This show is way crazier than I expected...and I like that.

PS
For all the "It's not a postapocalypse any more" people here...it still is, just with extra layer of sadness from the fact that all the people are part of cruel game.
alshuJul 15, 2020 1:08 PM
Jul 15, 2020 12:39 PM
Apr 2020
alhiris said:

They didn't make it full dive. It's real. The robot-lifeforms experience it as fake, but it's the real earth their avatars inhabit
Jul 15, 2020 12:40 PM

Oct 2018
MegamiRem said:
Lost most of my interest I had in this show the moment I saw cartoonish artstyle and this world actually being a vr world made me lost any interest I had left for this show. Proly gonna drop after next epi.

It's not VR, this happens inside a dome in the actual planet earth, humans there are real and have no clue of the game the aliens are playing with the avatars. To them, avatars are just a race of warriors
Jul 15, 2020 12:43 PM

Oct 2018
JanPri said:
I get pretty much everything except one thing; Why was Kaburagi's alien avatar in "present" shown to have 175 years remainin (16:09) when in the next scene (17:21) his operation limit is near the end?

Because the 175 years is for the robot, and the other is for the human avatar
Jul 15, 2020 12:45 PM

Oct 2018
dellionfinite said:
So what's up with this whole avatar thing?? It seemed in the first episode that the setting was some dystopian world where humans were confined to live within a movable fortress, and it was the responsibility of a select few to eliminate the monsters that threatened mankind. Now we get a whole new premise in episode 2 where it seems that humans are controlled through "chips" by some small, weird game avatars or whatever. And the entire thing seems to be a game of some sort where these tiny avatars are ranked and the whole fortress is the scheme of some corporation. Hopefully they do a lot more to explain this whacky plot because I know I'm not alone when I say that I am very confused.

Humans are not controlled by the chips, they are just monitored, they actually have no clue that they are a part of a game. Just avatars (the weird-colored skin people) are controlled by the robots. Avatars seem to be artifically created humans
Jul 15, 2020 12:50 PM
May 2016
That.... What the fuck. The first 3 minutes and the OP was the strongest sensation of whiplash I've gotten from a show in years. This actually seems like it could be a fucking amazing series.
Jul 15, 2020 1:04 PM
Feb 2019
Ok. I'm hooked, confused but hooked.
I think this plotwist makes things 10 times more interesting and intriguing.
Jul 15, 2020 1:08 PM

Nov 2013
WTF? Who could've expected such twist?
I felt such disappointment at the beginning that i nearly quit right away.
Avatars...games...points...wtf? This is not what i signed up for!
Or at least that's how i felt till the end where things got intriguing again.

What we Know or can speculate on:

1)What we saw in episode 1, the war, the fighting, it's real - but not for everybody!!! The Earth really is in ruin, but there is some "outer" force that is in control of everything.

2)Monsters are/have to be real, since, whoever's in control needs their blood or fuel or whatever; plus these monsters can kill REAL humans. (more on this below)

3)There are "players" who may or may not be actual humans. They can "die" while fighting the monsters, but they can "respawn" instead of actually dying - meaning their physical bodies are probably somewhere else; It's possible that they're "plugged" to some VR-like devices for "eternity" and in order not to die, they do ranking battles, kill monsters and fuel their avatars. Some seem to be working willingly for the company, and some are forced to do this job in order to survive, or perhaps that's simply their ordinary job, but most do it for entertainment as we're told from the start. They may be aliens, AI, or enslaved humans - or maybe all of them combined!!!

4)The male MC - Kaburagi - is apparently not REAL human (maybe he was once, but no longer), meaning if he dies outside Deca-Dence - he can simply get a different body made of flesh and bones, a new name and start over - unless they refuse not to and get "scrapped" and die for real (meaning their physical bodies - wherever they are - die from fatigue perhaps - after no longer receiving fuel). Just like this male MC, there are many similar FAKE humans, who walk among REAL humans.

5)There are REAL humans - made of flesh and blood, just like MC girl - Natsume. Real humans are said to be endangered species - and, apparently they are even fewer in numbers than it seems (since, as we figured out, many humans are FAKE like Kaburagi, and pretend to be real humans for various reasons). The REAL humans apparently DON'T know about FAKE humans, and will die, or - get hurt for good in battles - since that's how real life works, duh...! Meanwhile, FAKE humans respawn and don't even feel pain (unless they use cheat-code apparently).
The REAL humans seem to be just as naive as we were after seeing the first episode - thinking that humans are fighting monsters and that's the whole story. They also seem to have CHIPS in them and are monitored by AI or aliens or whoever's in charge - meaning, humans are slaves just like in the Matrix. Though for some reason, this "alien" organization preserves whatever's left of mankind - Meaning - a)they don't want us to go extinct, b)are unable to do certain things without us, c)believe that this entire charade is essential for the survival of human race (hiding the truth is part of it since many would not accept it; rebel against it' cause chaos and unrest - after all, Deca-Dence is relatively safe place).
If these humans find out "the truth", or go against the system - they get killed off, though our MC is exception since she apparently has no chip and system considers her DEAD - though i'm curious how this wasn't found out before??? - Though i'm sure we'll find that out once they explain how she survived after her hand was amputated.

I think, that's it...for now...
Sigmar-UnberogenJul 15, 2020 1:18 PM
Jul 15, 2020 1:09 PM

Sep 2009
I was really confused from the first few minutes but finally understood it before the episode ended! I'm still gonna continue on watching this series because I already like Natsume and I really love her eyes <3
Jul 15, 2020 1:20 PM

Feb 2016
I am so very conflicted with this series. This is not what I signed up for, I personally liked the first episode although it wasn't nothing really stunning at all. But this episode just threw my expectations out of the window.

Casually throwing random plot twists out of nowhere is not a good way to do plot twists. We already saw this happening in Kanata no Astra, and that anime sucked balls thanks to it. I'm still going to stay on the ride to see if there is any improvement or I can get used to it, but I'm not really positive about this.
"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
Jul 15, 2020 1:41 PM
May 2019
"Okay so lets see if I have this straight

The world of Deca-Dence is real and is reality for humans, however probably long before this point the Solid Quake Corporation, made a defense fro humans which are the gears. And for the gears to work properly they all have extremely advanced A.I and those A.I are the little robot guys that inclue Kaburagi and Mikey. Their purpose is to play as gears and defend the humans. However if their performance isnt good then they'll be scrapped and made into a new A.I that is hopefully better.

In short these AI are under the impression that they're playing a game, bu tin reality they are the last hope for humanity and are in a complex world made by Solid Quake to give them drive to actually do their job. If you dont do your job, you become scrapped. Or if you use a cheat that can actually affect the real world you are also scrapped.

Since the higher up are trying their best to keep the truth of the gears away from humans and the truth of humans away from the gears , people that are seen as a threat to that line are seen as bugs and must be eliminated for society top run well or humanity is at stake."

If you're confused, someone wrote this (Quantum Quilava) on another site. I think it's pretty spot on
Jul 15, 2020 1:51 PM
Dec 2016
Man, I was really excited for this anime but for the sudden “it’s a cool real life video game” explanation kinda sends all the world building and story down the drain. Yeah, it’s super interesting but i think it’s an unnecessary twist. I was completely fine with “humanity is on the brink of extinction and now we fight monsters outside our big mobile fortress for survival” as the story. Kindve a letdown but I’m going to keep watching. Hopefully some of the next batch of questions will be explained next week.
Jul 15, 2020 2:06 PM

Apr 2020
What the hell did I just watched? I hanen't feel betrayed like this since a long time. Don't know if I'll keep following this. Next episode must surprise me a lot to convince me, otherwise will be a certain drop.
P-edroJul 15, 2020 2:11 PM
I neither agree nor disagree, on the contrary.
Jul 15, 2020 2:10 PM

Dec 2008
The alien (software?) part of the anime seems to be prove that you should never nuke a country twice and then let some folks snort industrial amounts of coke, unless you want to see some really weird stuff. Along with Jojo's this anime's title can be considered a big warning sign/spoiler ;D Overall first two eps were enjoyable and got me interested. The good thing is that anime doesn't dig itself into fights only, and creates intriguing backbone for the story leading to questions piling up. I was positively surprised by the spin on histories presented by anime such as .hack and sao but in reverse where the software is using the real world as means of entertainment.

Edit: Based on only two eps it seems that the anime subscribes to the zoo hypothesis.
desuminatorJul 15, 2020 10:34 PM
Jul 15, 2020 2:16 PM

Jun 2011
Why? Why is it always aliens when it comes to anime originals?
Jul 15, 2020 2:24 PM
Dec 2016
Was ready to drop it after the first episode because the setting seemed uninspiring and the action wasn't very good (CG blergh), but the reveal - it's not a twist, this is the second episode, people - that the setting is much larger and more thought out has got me hype. I'm a sucker for fiction that features non-human characters prominently and a fan of anime with unconventional artstyle, and man, does this episode deliver. The robot sequences on the spaceship are beautiful. Can't remember the last original anime with this much care and unique design put into the characters. The colors pop, the robots are cute and weird and diverse and I love it! This is how you turn boring and unoriginal into something unique and memorable.

I also don't know why there's two pages of people saying they didn't get it here. They explained everything, literally everything, in this episode. Deca-dence is real and exists in the physical world. The Gadol and the humans are real. The robots are in a spaceship above Eurasia, control avatar bodies (Gears) to combat Gadol for both enjoyment - it's a game to them - and harvest Oxyone, which powers them and presumably their society. They're property of the company that built Deca-dence and set up this system. Humans are chipped and monitored. Kabu's job is to collect their chips when they threaten the integrity of the system. Seriously guys, this is all spelled out in the episode.
Jul 15, 2020 2:25 PM

May 2015
Well, it's certainly more unique than it was before and somewhat more interesting. I'll take the bug mystery over the generic overenthusiastic protagonist. But still... it was kinda weird.
Pages (8) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Deca-Dence Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Sep 23, 2020

242 by AgentDuck »»
Sep 6, 3:58 AM

Poll: » Deca-Dence Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 2, 2020

127 by StateofOhayo »»
Jul 13, 10:28 PM

Poll: » Deca-Dence Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 19, 2020

138 by StateofOhayo »»
Jul 13, 9:07 PM

Poll: » Deca-Dence Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

KANLen09 - Aug 5, 2020

140 by StateofOhayo »»
Jul 13, 8:09 PM

Poll: » Deca-Dence Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

KANLen09 - Jul 29, 2020

140 by StateofOhayo »»
Jul 13, 7:41 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.