Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Sep 23, 2019 9:48 PM

Mar 2019
Overrated - I know a lot of people have already mentioned this but I'm gonna go with action shonens just because there are so fucking many of them. Every season has like 8-10 action shonens and meanwhile people complain because there were 3 fucking ecchis and go like "zomg anime needs to stop having so much ecchi."

For underrated, @Manaban and @YossaRedMage have expressed good points. I do think its underrated because I think the mix of comedy, sexuality, and character development makes ecchi a really entertaining and unique product compared to other mediums. There's a lot of really good mystery, psychological, historical, and thriller shows out there from countries besides Japan but Japan invented ecchi. Other countries have stuff that is kind of like ecchi, Skins for example is a little bit like ecchi, but ecchi really is a unique genre specifically seen only in anime and from Japan. Believe me, I've looked for stuff like ecchi outside of Japan and its really hard. Skins is about as close as it gets but its has much darker themes, lacks the light-hearted fun of ecchi, the cute girls and all the short skirts. I personally like Skins, its a good show, but its definitely not the same as ecchi.

The fact that ecchi is such a unique product yet so many in the anime community disparage it and treat it as the shameful part of our community (oddly enough, ecchi seems to get more hate than hentai) is why I think its the most underrated genre.

I also think the horror genre is underrated though. Horror is one of my favorite genres on TV because horror so often sets itself up as a slice of life with normal, everyday characters, until everything goes horribly wrong. I feel like most action shows have too many characters that are overpowered and so strong that I can't take their enemies seriously as formidable foes anymore. Most of the time, I know the protagonist is gonna decimate weaker henchman type guys until he fights the big boss like a video game that he at first struggles with until he gains either a literal powerup or a psychological powerup as a result of willpower or having a revelation that allows him to beat the big bad boss. Most action is really predictable.

Horror, however, I always feel that the big bad is the strong one that the everyman is gonna have an impossible time beating. You come to sympathize with the character because they're just a normal person who wants to live their life, they go to school, they have romantic interests, they have friends, maybe they thought one day it would be exciting to explore a haunted location. All of it is things that could happen to you, and when things go wrong you want them to get their old life back but meanwhile their friends are dying around them and you feel that getting their old life back is hopeless. Even if the ghost or whatever is stalking the main character is beaten, how will they ever be the same again?

Horror stories fascinate me for this reason. They don't scare me, but the idea of a normal person going through such an extraordinary event that they feel helpless to stop or survive by the skin of their teeth, that they were absolutely terrified the whole way through because they didn't know what to do, is much more relatable to me than a guy who can beat up five enemy henchman with a smirk on his face.

I know horror anime can be done well. Higurashi was amazing, a masterpiece, one of the best examples of horror done well that I can think of. Corpse Party was also an incredible anime despite being so short. It sounds like its all about gore and guts, and there was plenty of that in Corpse Party, but it was also incredible how much you came to care about and love the characters in such a short anime.

I'd really like to see more horror anime come out.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 23, 2019 10:20 PM

Oct 2013
BallistikJuice said:
I actually prefer when the story is told through the atmosphere / environment / ambient music / weather / feelings, etc instead of mindless character conversations.

I have never seen a single Anime that actually does that, especially with Dark Fantasy setting.

This series sounds like what you would like. https://myanimelist.net/anime/457/Mushishi
Sep 23, 2019 11:07 PM
Jul 2018
keragamming said:
BallistikJuice said:
I actually prefer when the story is told through the atmosphere / environment / ambient music / weather / feelings, etc instead of mindless character conversations.

I have never seen a single Anime that actually does that, especially with Dark Fantasy setting.

This series sounds like what you would like. https://myanimelist.net/anime/457/Mushishi

I've already tried that one out some time ago and I didn't like it, it was more like "mentally disturbing nonsense", and not the stuff what I'm looking for, but thank you.
Sep 24, 2019 5:09 AM

Apr 2019
Overrated: Shounen (if you want to type "it's not a genre", go and die), Comedy
Underrated: Josei, Slice of life, Shorts, Art-House, Magical Girl
inimSep 24, 2019 5:13 AM

Sep 24, 2019 7:38 AM
Jul 2018
1blahdeblah1 said:
BallistikJuice said:

Have you ever checked out Shinsekai Yori? It's probably the closest to that I can think of, but even then, agreed, I wish we saw it more.

I'll check this one out.., thank you!
Sep 24, 2019 7:19 PM

Jul 2013
Battle shounen is overrated and super underrated would be a two-way tie between gallows humor as well as thriller. I want more of a Die Hard, G.I. Joe or Blade feel in future action anime. As for comedy, come on! make it more harsh and abrasive, wth are the writers afraid of? look at how Deadpool's and even Metalocalypse's dark humor succeeded.
Kurt_IrvingSep 24, 2019 7:26 PM
Sep 25, 2019 10:16 PM

Dec 2015
Battle shounen and isekai are overrated. (Most of the fantasy set in a medieval-like world has the better showas amongst non-isekai.)

Mecha is underrated. There are a lot with also good background plot. Especially the gundam always had some decent politics between two empires/factions involved. Also they have enough action. I mean compared to some battle shounen for kids they deliver a lot more.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Did you "really" watch a show if you didn't see it in Blu-Ray?

Dragevard - 6 hours ago

15 by Rhae »»
2 minutes ago

» Why is fairytail the only Shonen anime that people complain for the power of Friendship when evrey other Shonen anime does.

Lol1268 - 7 hours ago

17 by Theo1899 »»
13 minutes ago

» Who is your favourite "Otoko no ko" (男の娘)?

Anjuro - 59 minutes ago

15 by Loyal_Sheepling »»
18 minutes ago

» Anime songs that give you goosebumps. ( 1 2 )

TsutanaiFuun - May 23

50 by SaiteiDaOrette »»
31 minutes ago

» Exploring Taste Shaming

-Indra - May 30

45 by henmwats »»
46 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.