Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 12, 2019 4:56 PM

Nov 2013
Recently started craving watching dramas, and after looking around, I feel like not nearly enough people watch or talk about it as much as other genre.

Granted that the popular genres, such as action/shounnen, with their high-energy battle scene makes it easier to get people excited, I think dramas with a well written plot would work just as well in keeping people interested.

I personally think people are sleeping on this genre, and it'll get a massive boost in popularity if a series of drama goes mainstream.

On that note, I feel like action/shounnen shows are too overrated. At some point, all these fighting scenes gets stale and you're just gonna end up craving for some actually well-put story.

I could also just be feeling this way because there are so many mediocre action anime out there compared to good ones.

idk, thoughts?
WHEN IT RAINS, IT POURS.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 12, 2019 5:19 PM

Jul 2017
underrated is definitely Music. It allows so much emotion to be displayed and it works so well with romance
Sep 12, 2019 5:51 PM

Jun 2019
Actually, above all else, I second what you said in the OP about Drama, but could it be because of how vague and elusive it is to try and define as its own separate genre? There are definitely shows in which drama is mostly or completely the driving focus compared to others, but I also feel like people don't distinguish Drama by itself as an official genre because everything except straight comedies can be said to have some drama in it (even many otherwise lighthearted Slice of Lifes).

I feel as if there are many shows which, if not already tagged for Drama, should be. Why are there so many Comedy tags when the comedy of some series amounts to little more than comic relief but there being 90% more drama goes completely ignored? With this it gives the impression they're trying to curate a specific class of Dramas and make it more niche than it is.

Two which I love and seldom see mentioned though besides that are Thriller and Space.

Overrated for me would be comedy, since I don't see the charm or appeal in its humor in most cases, as well as Super Power, because I really find all the stories centering around that so stale by now and don't really need it in my anime after it's already seemed to dominate American pop culture these past 20 years.
WatchTillTandavaSep 12, 2019 5:55 PM
Sep 12, 2019 6:00 PM

Nov 2018
I'm agree with your opinion. Shounen genre are filled with excitement as they show how to how to overcome impossible situations and dramas are filled with emotional attachment which makes the story line much better that's is the reason of the their overrating but for underrating,could you could you tell me? What do you wanna discuss?
"When they're alive, you can enjoy watching them struggle. When they're dead, you can enjoy tearing out their guts. Tales are things you get to enjoy twice."
Sep 12, 2019 6:08 PM
Jan 2012
The genre that's mostly underrated to me is sports. I was part of that group too, just thinking all sports anime are the same underdog story about incredibly overexaggerated moves in sports. I'm a big Ping Pong the Animation fan (obviously) so that was one of the first sports anime I'd seen that was not one of those stereotypical sports anime, but then I found out about other sports shows like One Outs and Eyeshield, which were far better than we gave them credit for all due to their genre. Hell, Haikyu has a very basic premise and is pretty unoriginal as a sports anime, yet it's so engaging that it doesn't really matter.

Yes there are shows that are basic, insanely exaggerated and just overall feel way too much like a sports anime template, but there are far more competent sports anime than people think.
Sep 12, 2019 6:24 PM
Jul 2018
[quote=NbQuil message=58357109]Recently started craving watching dramas, and after looking around, I feel like not nearly enough people watch or talk about it as much as other genre.

Granted that the popular genres, such as action/shounnen, with their high-energy battle scene makes it easier to get people excited, I think dramas with a well written plot would work just as well in keeping people interested.
[/quote

Shounen isn't a genre
Sep 12, 2019 6:48 PM

Mar 2018
Well drama isn't underrated because almost everything is drama. Action and shounen (which isn't really a genre) can both overlap with drama and usually do to an extend.

If there's anything underatted it's probably "police" due to there being so little of it in anime. Action is overrated because a lot of it sucks, I think most people agree on that lol
poop
Sep 12, 2019 7:52 PM
Dec 2018
I think sport anime are underrated most of the time. I do not like the genre at all, it's a genre I skip instantly but there are for sure a few gems in it.

I get constantly pushed by a friend of mine to read one of the better ones but it will just never happen. REAAALLLY NEVAH! x)

It's just a niche genre which is really only appealing for very few ppl who watch anime.

Kickers was kinda the only exception which really hit the mainstream at a time where ppl didn't even know anything about anime.
Sep 12, 2019 11:22 PM

Jul 2013
Science fantasy, neo-western, straight fantasy, sci-fi comedy (even though Space Dandy is a household name), neo-noir and gallow's humor just don't get the love they deserve in anime. Even the thriller genre is very underrated in Japan, while receiving better in the west with likes of Venom, Batman and even Die Hard.

If battle shounen, isekai and conventional romcoms (ecchi and harem) are what modern anime have come to, then count me out! there is nothing these anime can do to pave the way for new and more cutting edge genres.

Like I said before, Japan is running out of ideas, it's not even the entertainment central of the east that it once was. Their dramas can't connect with the audience anymore, can't even make competitive dramas comparable to those of S. Korea. Whoever told me that modern anime is improving (in what? artful and skillful writing? nope!) is just a weeaboo fooling herself that should crawl back under the rock wher she came from. She even had the nerve to use Star Trek: Next Generations as an excuse to point out how modern anime are "improving", when they're still following the same shounen formula. That old hag thought she made a good excuse till Dragon Ball Super came and did nothing to improve battle shounen genre and its formula.
Kurt_IrvingSep 12, 2019 11:44 PM
Sep 12, 2019 11:36 PM
Jan 2012
Thanjh said:
OnionKnightRises said:
The genre that's mostly underrated to me is sports. I was part of that group too, just thinking all sports anime are the same underdog story about incredibly overexaggerated moves in sports. I'm a big Ping Pong the Animation fan (obviously) so that was one of the first sports anime I'd seen that was not one of those stereotypical sports anime, but then I found out about other sports shows like One Outs and Eyeshield, which were far better than we gave them credit for all due to their genre. Hell, Haikyu has a very basic premise and is pretty unoriginal as a sports anime, yet it's so engaging that it doesn't really matter.

Yes there are shows that are basic, insanely exaggerated and just overall feel way too much like a sports anime template, but there are far more competent sports anime than people think.
Have you seen Cross-Game yet? It’s sports but it’s about 50/50 between sports and romance/ano-Hana type drama

I haven't but it's definitely on my list so I hope I'll get to it eventually
Sep 13, 2019 3:33 AM

Jun 2017
It's funny people think sports anime are "underrated" when I think it has the best 8+ MAL score ratio and it's at best an overlooked genre...

I don't think ever an idol series or iyashikei or CGDCT show will be the most popular anime of that season (and most of them haven't a high MAL mean score) so you know these are underrated. Also Josei/shoujo demographic is usually overlooked and kids shows are always overlooked but that's OK...
Sep 13, 2019 4:27 AM

Apr 2015
Anything that is aimed at kids, because fans in West rather watch shows aimed at teenagers... Sci-fi that isn't mecha are rare now days and older shows don't get much exposure. Historical shows that aren't fantasy would be nice.
Sep 13, 2019 5:55 AM
Jul 2018
I was hoping that after Initial D popularity rise there would another manga adaptation or original production of car racing or motorcycle anime. Or even car enthusiast manga adaptation like Shakotan Boogie. But no, all we get is some bicycle anime
Sep 13, 2019 6:52 AM

Sep 2017
Very underrated on MAL: arthouse/experimental animated shorts, music videos
generally underrated: slice of life, kids
Sep 13, 2019 6:54 AM
Jul 2018
I feel like the idea of underrating/overrating a genre of all things is absurd (you don't have to point out the irony), because the genre of a story will tell you nothing about the quality of it.
Sep 14, 2019 5:35 AM

Jan 2014
Idk, i've started avoiding titles with drama.
Usually it's heavy melodrama that tends to lead to some bullshit happening in the series generally which instead of giving me emotional attachment usually makes me care way less about the characters involved.
The recent good drama anime in my memory i fully enjoyed was Clannad 1st season(I haven't finished the 2nd) and i feel like they did it perfectly for my taste.
Tbh i found both the comedy and drama elements to be great.

Also how do you quantify a genre to say it's underrated/overrated?
The beauty of humans is that they say one thing then do another, but at the same time that can also be their ugliest side.
Sep 14, 2019 7:41 AM

Oct 2017
NbQuil said:
Recently started craving watching dramas, and after looking around, I feel like not nearly enough people watch or talk about it as much as other genre.

I personally think people are sleeping on this genre, and it'll get a massive boost in popularity if a series of drama goes mainstream.

On that note, I feel like action/shounnen shows are too overrated. At some point, all these fighting scenes gets stale and you're just gonna end up craving for some actually well-put story.

I could also just be feeling this way because there are so many mediocre action anime out there compared to good ones.

idk, thoughts?

As usual with this topic, the distinction needs to be made between under/over rated and under/over watched or talked about.

Shounen/action tends to look overrated because of how popular it is. There are always tons of people who talk about how good the latest one is. Look at Kimetsu no Yaiba right now. It might be great, I don't know. The genre isn't my thing but I like ufotables art/animation. I stopped watching on something like episode four, saving it for a binge when it's done. But my gut tells me it will just be another popular action series which won't be to my tastes.

And that's the thing. It's about taste. Shounen action stuff is the most popular taste for a number of frustrating reasons, and so lots of other genres get overshadowed. But it's not as if those genres are underrated, just less popular. I think it's a very common perception that shounen action stuff isn't actually very good, exactly, just popular.

If you took one fan of each anime genre, asked them to rate every genre, then put those ratings together, I don't think shounen action would rate all that highly.

Just because there are more fans of a genre, I don't think that means the genre is overrated, just talked about a lot more. But one could definitely argue that how highly rated a genre is comes down to how many fans it has. But I don't think that's a good way to percieve things. We should decide how highly rated genres are by giving equal weight to different types of fans. This reminds me of the voting system in the US / UK (and probably a lot of other places) where the countries are divided in to areas. The point being to give equal weight to different types of people, rather than having decisions be made entirely by mass concensus.

Personally, as much as I think shounen action is talked about too much, I think "serious" drama type stuff tends to be overrated. There is always a show running which fits that stereotype and a bunch of people who praise it to high heaven. Run with the Wind earlier in the year, then it was Carole & Tuesday and Kono Oto Tomare. And I think that comes from a perception that serious drama has more value than shounen action, so when there is a serious drama that is halfway good, fans of the genre tend to proclaim it's the best thing ever.

The pretentious "serious drama" side of anime fandom can annoy me just as much as the childish shounen fans. Not saying all fans are like that, and I have nothing against the shows themselves. I probably enjoy serious dramas a lot more than shounen action. I could just do without the pretentiousness.
“In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Aggregate scoring is bad for the anime fandom
Sep 14, 2019 8:09 AM

Oct 2017
Pylia said:
Clannad (AS) - There's no place where you can escape this series. The anime gets still suggested as the "melodrama" to watch, after over a decade of its initial airing. Also, is this anime, next to any of the also beloved Key-Anime, one of the best examples of how drama anime can get highly appreciated just for the sake of being a drama, without the necessity of good writing, a well-developed plot, or nuanced characters.

Jesus Christ just say it didn't work for you and move on instead of being a fucking asshole. Yeah, clearly the writing isn't any good, that's why it's still insanely highly rated and touched so many people on a deep level, and why it's still somehow 12th!, sandwiched between a bunch of stuff that is nothing like it. For a long series, not a movie, with a grounded plot and no sakuga to get so highly rated is an insane accomplishment. And the fact that the number of sad people who fail to appreciate it is only growing andd giving such pathetic scores to a classic masterpiece says a lot about the modern anime community.

Also your criticisms are dumb and plain wrong on so many levels. There are good criticisms to be made of Clannad AS, none of which you touched on. Just vague nonsense about character nuance and plot development, typical of someone who is just being pissy because so many people like something they couldn't.
“In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Sep 14, 2019 8:35 AM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
Underrated: Harem&Ecchi
Overrated: Psychological

----

Harem and Ecchi is underrated, and also subject to a lot of falsehoods in terms of its reputation. The fact that even non-fans have acknowledged that they feel like shows cut from this cloth tend to get lowballed in mean score mainly because of their tags kind of tells me something.

That's it, really. I am convinced that this genre suffers the most from being dismissed entirely on superficial levels, having falsehoods and unfair/unfounded generalizations applied to it on an all-encompassing level, and being lowballed and unfairly assessed primarily due to association of content tags. I point to the reviews that tend to focus on making an issue of these things existing moreso than giving proper assessments of their content, I point to the fact that so many people who like these things make it a point to ignore mean score, I point to the current blog advert in @YossaRedMage's signature:

Haganai: How an Ecchi Harem Romcom Became my Favorite Anime

Where he words that the mere idea of having an H&E anime as his favorite series is noteworthy in of itself, like "Whoa, this series is an H&E AND it's somebody's favorite? Who'd would've fucking thought this was possible?"

Shit like this. It's everywhere. Speaking of characters based on loosely-defined archetypes that they can be categorized into, archetypes that are so loose that essentially any character that expresses romantic interest in another character can be categorized into them, yet are spoken of like that's the only thing that defines a given character, as if the idea that every tsundere is the same or every dandere is the same is one that'd ever hold up under actual scrutiny. Frequent criticisms that amount to simply changing the entire show's identity away from it, rather than building on and improving this aspect of its identity. So much discourse surrounding them is so utterly non-constructive that it's incredibly frustrating to me, as somebody who does like this type of content quite a bit.

So fuck it. People put their hands up in the air whenever I bring this up, but fuck them too, honestly. I speak the truth about this, and I know I do.

I'd usually put psychological as my overrated because I think people tend to elevate it beyond what it actually achieves. I mean, I doubt people mean Tokyo Ghoul, Mirai Nikki, Elfen Lied or Re:Zero when they talk about psychological as a MAL tag, but it fits this site's definition. And they fit the general one, believe it or not, given that critical acclaim does not define a work's content.

But even putting MAL's definition aside and operating from a more lenient perspective with it that I feel falls in line closer with the type of things people prop up as being "truly" representative of the psychological genre cough and dismissing these things that fall out of line in terms of personal or critical reception as if they're suddenly no longer a part of the genre, I'd still say that it's a case where there's some good stuff at the top and people only looking at what's at the top without delving what's beneath the icing in a lot of cases. Because being more lenient towards the people who do this doesn't suddenly mean that we're ceding that the same subsect of shows that tend to be referenced when talking about the psychological genre are the only ones fitting that mold, because they most certainly are not.

Not everything with the Psychological tag is Monster, Perfect Blue, Lain or Tatami Galaxy. Psychological in anime is defined by more than the same dozen shows that people speak about as if it's the breadth of the entire genre. It's...kind of ironically superficial, considering how people tend to speak of psychological anime. There is more to H&E than TLR, MonMusu, DxD, there's more to SoL than K-On! and Non Non Biyori, more to mecha than Geass, TTGL and Evangelion. Every genre suffers from this, but I can say with a high degree of confidence that psychological suffers from it more heavily than most, based off of my observations and discussions on this board over the past few years.

So yeah, it feels like there's a high degree of selectively ignoring the bad/the ample amount of stuff that they don't seem to think falls into that genre despite technically doing so and only acknowledging the few works they consider good. So psychological is overrated, in terms of how it's spoken of and regarded as a holistic genre.

Looking at it from the perspective of this site's genre tags and their definition for psychological and then calling it underrated is laughable, by the way. Listing off the top 5 psychological anime by members would be Death Note, Tokyo Ghoul, Mirai Nikki, Elfen Lied, and Re:Zero, all of which are either over the 1 million members mark or closing in on it. For it to even be sensibly brought into this discussion as an underrated genre like I see a couple of people doing, we have to play that same selective ignorance card in of itself that I'm arguing exists so prominently in discussing this genre. Go figure, people are proving my point for me before I even showed up.
ManabanSep 14, 2019 9:07 AM

Sep 14, 2019 10:01 AM
Jul 2018
I actually prefer when the story is told through the atmosphere / environment / ambient music / weather / feelings, etc instead of mindless character conversations.

I have never seen a single Anime that actually does that, especially with Dark Fantasy setting.
Sep 14, 2019 10:07 AM
Mar 2019
Underrated = Space
Overrated = Slice of life.
Sep 14, 2019 10:42 AM

Dec 2016
Not really a genre, but kids' anime as a type of show is generally underrated. People tend to look down on them just because of its target demo.
Sep 14, 2019 10:55 AM
Jul 2018
Thriller is underrated. Literally. As in, there's nothing to rate.
Sep 14, 2019 11:23 AM

Sep 2014
Overrated - slice of life/high school/romance

Underrated - horror/thriller/mystery

« »
🔮 Tojo Nozomi
Washi Washi
Sep 14, 2019 11:41 AM

Oct 2017
Manaban said:
I point to the reviews that tend to focus on making an issue of these things existing moreso than giving proper assessments of their content, I point to the fact that so many people who like these things make it a point to ignore mean score, I point to the current blog advert in @YossaRedMage's signature:

Haganai: How an Ecchi Harem Romcom Became my Favorite Anime

Where he words that the mere idea of having an H&E anime as his favorite series is noteworthy in of itself, like "Whoa, this series is an H&E AND it's somebody's favorite? Who'd would've fucking thought this was possible?"

Shit like this. It's everywhere...

Yo. Manaban. What gives? I'm on your side on with subject lol. The point of that title, and the blog post itself, is to push back against the judgmental attitudes.

The title recognizes that there is a cerain perception around ecchi/harem/etc. type stuff, but it isn't an endorsement of those views. I myself fell in to that trap to a certain degree, but there is a quality to this show in particular which showed me that these sorts of shows can be not only good, or great, but up there with the very best. My 10s were quite generic in some ways before I watched Haganai.

The point of the post is to say, "hey, these types of shows can be really good too and even people like me who take anime and storytelling really seriously can consider an ecchi harem show his favourite".

I'm a little peeved youy would use my blog post as an example of those attitudes, when it merely recognizes them, and the actual content of the post - the message - is that there can be a lot of depth and people can take away a lot of meaning from all sorts of shows.

I agree with basically everything else you said in your post. And like I said in a seperate thread recently, we really should be allies. We want the same things.
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Sep 14, 2019 11:43 AM

Jan 2009
mecha is the most underrated genre today imo

you can have drama mix with action and mecha shows anyway

school is the most overrated genre for me there is too much school settings already
Sep 14, 2019 11:50 AM
Sep 2019
underrated="i i like this show, why nobody else like it?"
overrated="i hate this show, why everybody else like it?"

grow up, please
Sep 14, 2019 1:23 PM
Haru Choi

Mar 2012
Hmmm i dont know about underrated, but for me overrated is Harems.

Sep 14, 2019 4:26 PM

May 2013
deaddriver24 said:

grow up, please

The entire life story of Myanimelist forums/replies summarized.
Truly a Divine Comedy
Sep 14, 2019 4:52 PM

Dec 2012
Underrated:
-Mystery is one of favorite genres, it's too bad they're few and far between.
-I also think the Thriller genre is quite underpopulated.
-Science fiction without mecha, I like mecha as much as the nest guy but I want to see more things like Planetes, or Starship Operators.

Overrated:
-Battle shounen, fight, lose, train, fight, win, rinse and repeat
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Sep 14, 2019 10:31 PM

Nov 2013
WatchTillTandava said:
Actually, above all else, I second what you said in the OP about Drama, but could it be because of how vague and elusive it is to try and define as its own separate genre? There are definitely shows in which drama is mostly or completely the driving focus compared to others, but I also feel like people don't distinguish Drama by itself as an official genre because everything except straight comedies can be said to have some drama in it (even many otherwise lighthearted Slice of Lifes).

I feel as if there are many shows which, if not already tagged for Drama, should be. Why are there so many Comedy tags when the comedy of some series amounts to little more than comic relief but there being 90% more drama goes completely ignored? With this it gives the impression they're trying to curate a specific class of Dramas and make it more niche than it is.

Now that I think about it, ya that's kinda true. Most shows nowadays are just described as romcom, or just romance when it is more drama. Honestly, I think what drama offers is something you can really invest your emotion in, and I think that's getting more and more rare. Instead, we get all these isekai and LN adaptations that doesn't really offer anything unique.
WHEN IT RAINS, IT POURS.
Sep 14, 2019 10:38 PM

Nov 2013
Chhotyu said:
I'm agree with your opinion. Shounen genre are filled with excitement as they show how to how to overcome impossible situations and dramas are filled with emotional attachment which makes the story line much better that's is the reason of the their overrating but for underrating,could you could you tell me? What do you wanna discuss?

Well, the one I'm a bit more outspoken about is the drama genre, some others would be like mystery or seinen-esque slice of life. Basically, I'm talking about shows that are, at least in my opinion, very well written and produced, but because of the genre they're in, people are less inclined to watch them or shy away from discussing them because they are less "mainstream". Like if you start a discussion about anime / favorite anime / anime recommendations, I highly doubt any of the genre above are going to be mentioned.

When I say underrated, I'm not trying to argue for a poorly made show, but something that is simply not receiving as much attention as it should be (i guess it would be akin to something like a relatively high MAL score but somewhat low memeber count?)

OnionKnightRises said:

Uh yikes, I don't know if I actually agree with this one. I mean you already named a couple, but there's still Prince of Tennis, initial-D (not sure if that count as sports), and kuroku no basket just to name some more. The thing that's preventing me from outright disagreeing with you is these titles are popular because they are well produced, so their popularity may not have much to do with the genre it is in. But I still think that if you look at the genre as a whole, I don't think they are underrate, just normal, like how people look at slice of life / romcom. I think it is mainstream and well received enough by most people for it to be considered not underrated, but I do think this because this genre is serving a niche in the media, satisfying audience that likes action but also in a school setting, it is not a genre for everyone.
nbqSep 14, 2019 10:52 PM
WHEN IT RAINS, IT POURS.
Sep 14, 2019 10:47 PM
Jul 2018
I can't say there are any particular genres that are overrated, and although it's a demographic and not a genre per se, but I echo the sentiment other posters have made about children's anime often being looked down upon because of the target audience. Doing so means you're missing out on some genuinely great anime like Digimon Tamers, Cardcaptor Sakura, Dennou Coil, Chirin no Suzu, Gegege no Kitaro, and plenty of others.

Also, again, they're demographics and not genres, but I also dislike dudes that refuse to give josei and shojo a chance just because it's "gay" or whatever. Is your masculinity really that fragile? Go and watch some, you're missing out and ignorant a significant chunk of all anime produced, dammit.
removed-userSep 14, 2019 11:38 PM
Sep 14, 2019 10:58 PM

Nov 2013
Jese23 said:
NbQuil said:

Shounen isn't a genre

Honestly tired of hearing this shit. Yes, Shounen as an official term is used to describe the targeted audience of a show. But if used in the more casual discussion, it is describing a subset of anime that are similar in their premises and plot development.

If I'm trying to group anime like Naruto, Boku no Hero, Gakusen Toshi, and Nanatsu no Taizai, what better words are there to describe them than shounen?
WHEN IT RAINS, IT POURS.
Sep 14, 2019 11:08 PM

Nov 2013
deaddriver24 said:

grow up, please

If there are a lot of people who thinks "I like this show, why nobody else like it", then isn't the show underrated?
and If a lot of people hate a show, but everyone else like it, then isn't the show overrated?

I guess you're just a bandwagon since everything you like, everyone else like, and everything you don't like, nobody else like.

Learn to have an opinion, ffs.
WHEN IT RAINS, IT POURS.
Sep 14, 2019 11:08 PM

Nov 2013
deaddriver24 said:

grow up, please

If there are a lot of people who thinks "I like this show, why nobody else like it", then isn't the show underrated?
and If a lot of people hate a show, but everyone else like it, then isn't the show overrated?

I guess you're just a bandwagon since everything you like, everyone else like, and everything you don't like, nobody else like.

WHEN IT RAINS, IT POURS.
Sep 15, 2019 3:45 AM
Jul 2018
NbQuil said:
Jese23 said:

Shounen isn't a genre

Honestly tired of hearing this shit. Yes, Shounen as an official term is used to describe the targeted audience of a show. But if used in the more casual discussion, it is describing a subset of anime that are similar in their premises and plot development.

If I'm trying to group anime like Naruto, Boku no Hero, Gakusen Toshi, and Nanatsu no Taizai, what better words are there to describe them than shounen?

"Battle shounen" works,
"shounen" includes stuff like silent voice and yourlieinapril
Sep 15, 2019 4:24 AM

May 2018
Yup,I agree drama is very underrated.

Slice of life is overrated to me.
Sep 15, 2019 5:43 AM

Dec 2013
Underrated- Horror, Seinen

Overrated- School romance, Comedy, Historical, Vampire
Sep 15, 2019 5:55 PM
Sep 2019
NbQuil said:
deaddriver24 said:

grow up, please

actually no, I'm not in the bandwagon, since overrated and underrated are not in my vocabulary, that words are like "normie", people are not simpletons just because they don't like the same than you, again grow up, you are calling them simpletons because they don't like that "underrated show", just watch the damn show and enjoy it yourself and share it with your friends(if have any), we don't have the same personality to like the same, if everybody like something that i don't, i don't care, i just chill out and watch my slide of life anime (the most overrated of course), there's my opinion, dude, there's good shows in any genre
Sep 15, 2019 5:59 PM

Sep 2018
Honestly, not sure. I like anime from all genres and would really only say that there are overrated/underrated anime personally. I enjoy Slice of Life anime a lot for one, I dunno, I'm quite easy to impress and entertain. Actually, most of the horror anime I have seen are pretty meh so far....

Most of the ecchi anime, I watch for a quick time passer or something to balance out the other more mature/serious anime I'm watching at the time. Overall, they're probably one of the lowest scoring averages on my list genre wise, but I still really enjoyed them lol
GakutoDeathGlareSep 15, 2019 6:03 PM
Sep 15, 2019 6:52 PM
Jul 2018
NbQuil said:
Jese23 said:

Shounen isn't a genre

Generic battle anime works. Shounen isn't a genre.
Sep 15, 2019 8:35 PM

Jun 2019
Is Slice of Life really that popular in the first place so as to be overrated?

For whatever reason, I feel like I couldn't ever get enough of SoLs.
Sep 16, 2019 12:15 AM

Nov 2014
As far as I can tell, my ratings compared with most people using MAL ratings but downshifted for a more reasonable average...

At least according to what MAL classifies as a genre; I rate ecchi, action, mecha and harem drastically lower than most of MAL. On the other hand, my ratings for thriller, slice of life, drama and oddly enough shoujo and josei is fairly high.

That said, we've got to keep in mind that certain genres I've only watch that many shows of and have a rather small sample size. Also for example, every god damn ecchi harem is labelled with genre tags of comedy and romance, which really taints the pool and pulls down those genres into the average range.
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Sep 16, 2019 12:26 AM

Dec 2016
Overrated is Isekai! It is a nice genre but...
Underrated is Historical...

...even if i can't see you, no matter how far
away you may be...I will always be watching you.
Sep 17, 2019 9:25 PM

Nov 2013
Homunculus00 said:
Overrated is Isekai! It is a nice genre but...
Underrated is Historical...

def overrated, but ngl tho, trashy isekai it's like a guilty pleasure to watch...

plz no flame
WHEN IT RAINS, IT POURS.
Sep 17, 2019 9:38 PM

Jul 2016
Underrated - scifi,mystery,thriller.
Overrated - sports like haikyuu, parody like gintama and konosuba, vampire like monogatari series, drama like 3 gatsu.

Sep 18, 2019 12:32 AM
Apr 2019
underrated is definitely slice of life..
overrated is definitely shounen. Though I can understand the bigger hype.
Sep 19, 2019 7:34 PM
Jan 2012
NbQuil said:
Chhotyu said:

Well, the one I'm a bit more outspoken about is the drama genre, some others would be like mystery or seinen-esque slice of life. Basically, I'm talking about shows that are, at least in my opinion, very well written and produced, but because of the genre they're in, people are less inclined to watch them or shy away from discussing them because they are less "mainstream". Like if you start a discussion about anime / favorite anime / anime recommendations, I highly doubt any of the genre above are going to be mentioned.

When I say underrated, I'm not trying to argue for a poorly made show, but something that is simply not receiving as much attention as it should be (i guess it would be akin to something like a relatively high MAL score but somewhat low memeber count?)

OnionKnightRises said:

Uh yikes, I don't know if I actually agree with this one. I mean you already named a couple, but there's still Prince of Tennis, initial-D (not sure if that count as sports), and kuroku no basket just to name some more. The thing that's preventing me from outright disagreeing with you is these titles are popular because they are well produced, so their popularity may not have much to do with the genre it is in. But I still think that if you look at the genre as a whole, I don't think they are underrate, just normal, like how people look at slice of life / romcom. I think it is mainstream and well received enough by most people for it to be considered not underrated, but I do think this because this genre is serving a niche in the media, satisfying audience that likes action but also in a school setting, it is not a genre for everyone.

You actually have a point, but it feels like it's shifted over the years. Despite the popularity PoT once had and Kuroko being pretty big, you still see many including Sports anime in genres they don't like and never will watch aside from very few exceptions (Also no Initial D isn't a Sports anime, at least that's now how people think of it even if it was or not). Though I still think of it as underrated, you're right in that it's not actually as underrated as I make it seem, it's definitely a genre that's persisted for so long and won't be going away any time soon.
Sep 23, 2019 9:08 PM

Nov 2013
NakolHira said:
underrated is definitely slice of life..
overrated is definitely shounen. Though I can understand the bigger hype.

I would just elaborate a bit more and say pure slice of life anime. Otherwise, I would have to disagree. Slice of life is an element in so many of the popular anime genre that I wouldn't say they are underrated. On the other hand, for pure slice of life anime like Tanaka-kun, umaru, or daily life of high school boys, they are all very entertaining in their own rights. Even though these are ranked fairly high, definitely have to agree that they are not appreciated enough for more of them to be made.
WHEN IT RAINS, IT POURS.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» thoughts on Chinese anime? ( 1 2 3 4 )

ryo-san - Mar 6, 2022

184 by ColourWheel »»
2 seconds ago

Poll: » Which season of Vinland Saga do you guys prefer?

MillerEvans23 - 2 hours ago

12 by TRC_Randy »»
4 minutes ago

» angry sub only users

Yorda_trico - 9 hours ago

47 by billybub »»
10 minutes ago

» What percentage of anime that you've seen did you pirate? ( 1 2 3 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 13

124 by H_Erifu »»
11 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you think you could fall in love with a fairy?

Shizuna - Yesterday

42 by WatchTillTandava »»
13 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.