Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (10) « First ... « 6 7 [8] 9 10 »
Jan 26, 2019 10:44 AM

Oct 2014
As mainstream as it may be, this anime is pretty well done and enjoyable. I didn't really expect it to grow on me, but here we are~
Jan 26, 2019 11:16 AM

Aug 2012
VKDOOM said:
nightcrawlercyp said:
You say comparing a 9 to 5 job to slavery is incorrect, but you base this just on not seeing physical chains. But it is virtually the same thing. Wage slavery is a thing. Also please understand that in slavery one can sell himself as a slave for a time to pay off some debt or gain some material gains . So considering this one can understand why 9 to 5 jobs are slavery. You sell most of your time for money that are just above the money you need to survive. In ancient slavery the slave owner would assure for you food, clothing, shelter and even some spending money in some cases but never enough to exit the state of slave. In modern wage slavery you get paid just enough to go on not enough to exit the situation. In the end in both you sell time of your life. And if you believe you can just leave , well you can but then what? Choose a diferent slave owner and hope for the best? starve? go to jail?
About having the choice to get the job, the slaves had the choice also to leave in most cases. yes there were consequences and as there are consequences if you just leave your job. The miners that were scrip slaves had the choice to leave . So yes you can choose to leave and die, can choose to change your owner or choose to stay. Unfortunately the option to be free and be paid for the result of your work rather than your time is not available so much in this day.

To compare them is still absolutely stupid considering an employee is not bound to work for that company and can choose to do whatever he/she wants with his/her time. A slave is sold to somebody else and is forced to do their bidding. To compare the two is some kind of shit only an alt right troll would think of.
1. About being sold, have you heard of outsourcing? And yes they had the choice to leave. But everyone has a choice. About being an alt right troll, maybe you should read some real history before attacking people
Jan 26, 2019 12:11 PM

Mar 2016
Hold up... NANI KORE?! Raphtalia transformed from a loli to a more grown up racoon girl with a tsundere attitude! It's probably been weeks at most, so how? Level ups caused this? Well, that's cool.

I can really feel that painful hatred Naofumi had when he met with the other heroes in the hourglass building. Hopefully, one day, they'll see...

I love it when Raphtalia become mad when Naofumi said that the knights don't care if they're within the attack range. Besides that, the animation when she fights alongside Naofumi was fantastic!

Well despite the fact that Naofumi himself doesn't slay any significant monster in this wave, he did something which none of the other 3 heroes did. Naofumi, the shield hero saved an entire town from being completely slaughtered!

Andddd now I have to wait for the next ep to be released...
Jan 26, 2019 1:21 PM

Apr 2018
ACornelis said:
Wow, this episode was so garbage. It was on the same level as Sword art Online when it comes to incompetent writing and directing.

If you enjoyed this episode i really need you to watch it again and pay attention to what's going on because you clearly missed how poor and dumb it was.

If there's one thing I don't need to read again to understand how poor and dumb it is it's definitely this comment lol
Jan 26, 2019 3:25 PM

Jan 2017
vhagar8 said:
ACornelis said:
Wow, this episode was so garbage. It was on the same level as Sword art Online when it comes to incompetent writing and directing.

If you enjoyed this episode i really need you to watch it again and pay attention to what's going on because you clearly missed how poor and dumb it was.

If there's one thing I don't need to read again to understand how poor and dumb it is it's definitely this comment lol

Was it dumb because you love the show? Care to elaborate?

Seems like i caught a Reki Kawahara fanboy.
ACornelisJan 26, 2019 3:28 PM
REVIVE MECHA
Jan 26, 2019 3:28 PM

Nov 2011
ShadowZ_AnimeZ said:
Hold up... NANI KORE?! Raphtalia transformed from a loli to a more grown up racoon girl with a tsundere attitude! It's probably been weeks at most, so how? Level ups caused this? Well, that's cool.[/color]

Literally 5 seconds into the show Naofumi says that the fight in the coal pit, aka the fight with the two headed dog monster, was a week ago.
Jan 26, 2019 6:21 PM

Feb 2011
VKDOOM said:
Reload said:
@VKDOOM: All your complaining about is the MC's title: Master. With that logic, every series where the villain is killed by the protag, gives them the title: Murderer. If I were to compare this to RL, your implying military veterans are bad even though what they did was in service to their nation. Your basically comparing fiction to nonfiction. When watching/reading fiction in general, you should separate the two. Our concept of morality only applies if the setting establishes it. One example would be superhero comics. Most heroes make an effort to cherish all life, villains included. The protags usually live in a society where murder is unlawful and incarceration is the alternative. As for the alternative to slavery, it'd be contract jobs. One must complete a specific job within a specified time frame. MC and the other heroes in this series are no different. They were forcefully summoned from their respective worlds, and forced to fight for complete strangers till the waves stop. Hardly anyone brings attention to the fact that they themselves are slaves. You only decide to complain about it when the MC does it himself because he's actually tangible, as opposed to the ritual that summoned them. Talk about late. Does the fact that the other 3 heroes seeing it as a game and not incurring punishment justify them being forced to fight? They're teleported to the danger zone and can't return home until their job is done, so excessive force isn't even needed.

Point I'm try to make is that the world the heroes were sent to does not see slavery as immoral; therefore, no attention is brought to it. The series doesn't depict it as good or bad. It's simply accepted in the world they were sent to. The reason Raphtalia was chosen to begin with was because she was already on death's door, and MC needed some justification for doing something he himself knew to be immoral. His justification was saving her life to prolong his own. If you believe the MC should release her afterward, then it becomes a question of when. I hope you don't believe the MC plans to remain a slave owner throughout the whole story. I also hope you didn't think the MC became a slave owner because he wanted to. If anything, he himself doesn't want to force anyone to do anything. This is the biggest difference between fiction and nonfiction. IRL, slave owners, good or bad, treated their slave(s) as property. Though Raphtalia calls herself the MC's sword, he doesn't once agree with her. There is no master-slave relationship between the two, so why bring attention to it? I'd complain as well if that's how they were depicted, but they aren't. Masters don't fight alongside slaves for a common goal, and slaves don't defend their masters of their own freewill. Can you really call it a master-servant relationship looking at their actions, and not their titles?

In any case, the adaptation isn't finished yet. For all we know, attention may get brought to slavery later in the story. I've never watch GOT, but I'm pretty sure attention isn't brought to it every single episode. Your complaints are too early to judge the series as a whole.

It isn't just his title. It is what he does, considering he acts like a slave owner as well. A "nice" one sure, but he clearly shows he owns her and he even hurts her to do things she doesn't want to do. Again, I am not saying you can't tell a story about someone who commands slaves, but this show is going about it in a very irresponsible way where we see this initial form of abuse and then it decides to just take a time skip from her young levels to where she looks like a grown up and the show now just pretends they are "equals", entirely just skipping what their relation really is. My issue is with how this relationship has been presented and all the problematic aspects of it are just skipped over. It actually feels kinda fucked up considering her trope of essentially worshiping this guy when he has a clear authority over her.

You'll have to give examples of when he acts like a slave owner, and compare it with how a parent disciplines their child. I don't believe masters pet their slaves out of sympathy or when they do a good job. I wouldn't call his behavior "nice" in the slightest either. The MC is "indifferent" at best. If your not caught up on titles, then it's the few scenes that show the MC exercising dominance. I hope you weren't expecting him to continue exercising it during the time skip, when he clearly doesn't wish to. Notice how the MC doesn't do this in public. He's lucky he doesn't have to use a leash. Because it's a curse mark, I don't see how this is showing "he owns her and ... hurts her to do things..." If I were to compare this with Death March, he's taming/teaching her and doesn't have to lift a finger to do so. Remember how MC said slaves aren't people? If his actions don't reflect a parent-child relationship, then its a pet-owner relationship. If this was a depiction of a master-slave relationship, the slave would be shackled and the MC would be inflicting pain himself. This isn't irresponsible because he doesn't abuse his dominance. He even hides the fact he's a slave owner from the other heroes. The show isn't pretending they're "equals" when he does this. MC still doesn't see Raphtalia as an adult, and she doesn't go beyond calling herself his sword. If they were equals, it would show them having friendly conversations together. I wouldn't describe any of the conversions they've had as friendly.

It seems the main problem here is that your misinterpreting everything. The time skip didn't skip over anything, except Raphtalia's growth and MC leveling up with her. Some may argue it also skipped them bonding, but we all know the MC ain't got time for that. Would've been nice to see her grow out of her clothing, and see how the MC reacts to it. Back to the subject, I can see how a slave admiring their master is so horrible, especially if they're a child. However, you're aware Raphtalia was told by her parents that the Shield Hero favors her kind and how previous masters treated her poorly, right? Of course, she'd be grateful she lived long enough to find a purpose in life besides being orphaned and tortured after her wish to meet said hero came true. The show isn't skipping anything important here. If this wasn't enough explanation, then wait for the show to explain itself. Your not wrong to say the problematic aspects of slavery should be shown, but hold your horses. The show isn't over yet. The show has a whole 20+ more episodes to shed some light on slavery. I'll repeat this one more time: MC's relationship with his slave, from the moment he bought her, isn't a master-slave relationship. Shedding light on the problematic aspects of slavery is not their role in the story. It's clear you wouldn't want them to fill this role by the looks of it either. Plz wait for a real master-slave relationship to appear before jumping to conclusions.
ReloadJan 26, 2019 8:22 PM
Give me at least 5 minutes to modify my post before quoting me. (refreshing page advised)
Jan 26, 2019 9:38 PM
Dec 2014
WhiteRaven1989 said:
Huex3 said:

I just saw the chapter 51 raw and it seems even manga is diverging from LN.

I've never read the WN but the LN diverges a bit, figures, every publisher would do some editing.

The one hour long special tended more to the LN, episode 2 & 3 more to the manga, still they've cut and rearranged some scenes. But this always happens when a medium is changed. Most of the taunts I'm missing were included in the LN but due to medium change details and thoughts and transitions were cut down to the manga and the to the anime aswell.

I really like the anime, nevertheless, it's so wonderfully well-made.

* goes hunting down chapter 51 *

LN diverging from the WN "a bit" is a huge understatement. They made LN into a whole new story.
Jan 26, 2019 10:22 PM

Apr 2018
ACornelis said:
vhagar8 said:

Welp your reasons were indeed dumb
.Since her growing up physically and mentally in a span of a week will be explained (timeskip = 1 week was already mentioned)
.the animation quality has nothing to do with bad writing and it wasn't as bad as you are making it out to be
.they(the 3 heroes) went for the boss first since killing the boss would award them the most and there was already a troup that was sent to the village

And all of those are obvious but well it looks like you are the one who is like reki :/

People just wanna come up with anything to hate
Jan 26, 2019 10:41 PM
May 2017
This episode was garbage. Is this like SAO where people won't realize it's bad until way later on?
What's up with the character writing in this show? It's so bad but somehow gets a pass. Must be fanboys huh
Jan 26, 2019 10:46 PM

Apr 2018
ACornelis said:
vhagar8 said:

Ur kidding right?
Are u seriously telling me "Care to elaborate?" after u just throw random insults without providing any argument? Shouldn't I be the one saying "Care to elaborate"? Incopent writing u say, fucking where?
A comment by a 8 year old kid who thinks he's so smart he doesn't need to provide evidence to support what he says because he rather spend that time shittalking on others for no real reason is dumb indeed
Jan 27, 2019 1:58 AM

Jan 2017
Akerakai said:
ACornelis said:

.Since her growing up physically and mentally in a span of a week will be explained (timeskip = 1 week was already mentioned)
.the animation quality has nothing to do with bad writing and it wasn't as bad as you are making it out to be
.they(the 3 heroes) went for the boss first since killing the boss would award them the most and there was already a troup that was sent to the village

And all of those are obvious but well it looks like you are the one who is like reki :/

This was the dumbest comment i've ever read, period. I would care to explain why you're wrong but of all the isekai lovers that have been attacking me you're probably the most boring and uninteresting one.
REVIVE MECHA
Jan 27, 2019 2:17 AM

Apr 2018
ACornelis said:
Akerakai said:

This was the dumbest comment i've ever read, period. I would care to explain why you're wrong but of all the isekai lovers that have been attacking me you're probably the most boring and uninteresting one.
that's cause you can't lmao and sorry for not being able to entertain you even tho i am not supposed to :(
Jan 27, 2019 2:18 AM

Mar 2016
Demyx_IX said:
ShadowZ_AnimeZ said:
Hold up... NANI KORE?! Raphtalia transformed from a loli to a more grown up racoon girl with a tsundere attitude! It's probably been weeks at most, so how? Level ups caused this? Well, that's cool.[/color]

Literally 5 seconds into the show Naofumi says that the fight in the coal pit, aka the fight with the two headed dog monster, was a week ago.

K
I missed that...
Jan 27, 2019 2:22 AM

Apr 2018
clarazora said:
This episode was garbage. Is this like SAO where people won't realize it's bad until way later on?
What's up with the character writing in this show? It's so bad but somehow gets a pass. Must be fanboys huh
it's not even close to being that bad
Jan 27, 2019 6:13 AM
Apr 2018
Great anime i guess, the animation is good i love it 😉
Jan 27, 2019 8:33 AM
May 2014
Reload said:
VKDOOM said:

It isn't just his title. It is what he does, considering he acts like a slave owner as well. A "nice" one sure, but he clearly shows he owns her and he even hurts her to do things she doesn't want to do. Again, I am not saying you can't tell a story about someone who commands slaves, but this show is going about it in a very irresponsible way where we see this initial form of abuse and then it decides to just take a time skip from her young levels to where she looks like a grown up and the show now just pretends they are "equals", entirely just skipping what their relation really is. My issue is with how this relationship has been presented and all the problematic aspects of it are just skipped over. It actually feels kinda fucked up considering her trope of essentially worshiping this guy when he has a clear authority over her.

You'll have to give examples of when he acts like a slave owner, and compare it with how a parent disciplines their child. I don't believe masters pet their slaves out of sympathy or when they do a good job. I wouldn't call his behavior "nice" in the slightest either. The MC is "indifferent" at best. If your not caught up on titles, then it's the few scenes that show the MC exercising dominance. I hope you weren't expecting him to continue exercising it during the time skip, when he clearly doesn't wish to. Notice how the MC doesn't do this in public. He's lucky he doesn't have to use a leash. Because it's a curse mark, I don't see how this is showing "he owns her and ... hurts her to do things..." If I were to compare this with Death March, he's taming/teaching her and doesn't have to lift a finger to do so. Remember how MC said slaves aren't people? If his actions don't reflect a parent-child relationship, then its a pet-owner relationship. If this was a depiction of a master-slave relationship, the slave would be shackled and the MC would be inflicting pain himself. This isn't irresponsible because he doesn't abuse his dominance. He even hides the fact he's a slave owner from the other heroes. The show isn't pretending they're "equals" when he does this. MC still doesn't see Raphtalia as an adult, and she doesn't go beyond calling herself his sword. If they were equals, it would show them having friendly conversations together. I wouldn't describe any of the conversions they've had as friendly.

It seems the main problem here is that your misinterpreting everything. The time skip didn't skip over anything, except Raphtalia's growth and MC leveling up with her. Some may argue it also skipped them bonding, but we all know the MC ain't got time for that. Would've been nice to see her grow out of her clothing, and see how the MC reacts to it. Back to the subject, I can see how a slave admiring their master is so horrible, especially if they're a child. However, you're aware Raphtalia was told by her parents that the Shield Hero favors her kind and how previous masters treated her poorly, right? Of course, she'd be grateful she lived long enough to find a purpose in life besides being orphaned and tortured after her wish to meet said hero came true. The show isn't skipping anything important here. If this wasn't enough explanation, then wait for the show to explain itself. Your not wrong to say the problematic aspects of slavery should be shown, but hold your horses. The show isn't over yet. The show has a whole 20+ more episodes to shed some light on slavery. I'll repeat this one more time: MC's relationship with his slave, from the moment he bought her, isn't a master-slave relationship. Shedding light on the problematic aspects of slavery is not their role in the story. It's clear you wouldn't want them to fill this role by the looks of it either. Plz wait for a real master-slave relationship to appear before jumping to conclusions.

The time skip skips over Raphtalia growing up but also showing how she is now more capable of talking back to her master. It likely does this to skip over how the MC has been forcing her to do things she doesn’t want to do. And this is not a father-daughter relationship, this is a slavemaster-slave relationship. Whatever this show does to try to convince you is the former is a result of disgusting writing.

I will keep watching to see if it is explained, but I have a feeling this show won’t address anything about slavery considering how much it has skipped the problematic aspects of this relationship to create some “cute” trope-y anime relationship between the two.
Jan 27, 2019 9:01 AM

Apr 2007
VKDOOM said:
Reload said:

The time skip skips over Raphtalia growing up but also showing how she is now more capable of talking back to her master. It likely does this to skip over how the MC has been forcing her to do things she doesn’t want to do. And this is not a father-daughter relationship, this is a slavemaster-slave relationship. Whatever this show does to try to convince you is the former is a result of disgusting writing.

I will keep watching to see if it is explained, but I have a feeling this show won’t address anything about slavery considering how much it has skipped the problematic aspects of this relationship to create some “cute” trope-y anime relationship between the two.

He stopped using it after the dog scene. Raphtalia decided to fight for his sake and the children so they don't have to go through what she did. It was only a one week time skip anyways. The reality is Naofumi would never use it on Raphtalia for talking back. It had one purpose, to make her fight. He wants Raphtalia to be assertive, he wants her to be self-sufficient. He actually wants Raphtalia to tell him which aspects he needs to work on. He values her opinion.
Jan 27, 2019 9:15 AM

Sep 2018
VKDOOM said:

You're going to need to prove the time skip was done for that specific purpose. Otherwise, it's nothing more than conjecture that serves to artificially boost your assertion. Heck, you contradicted yourself when you claimed that their relationship is not of the father-daughter type while mentioning Raphtalia assertiveness before that. In actual slave-master relationships, usually the master's input is absolute. It's the master's way or the highway, so to speak.

I also notice that you have the propensity to just throw out buzzwords. The writing is problematic. The writing is irresponsible. This relationship is disgusting. You say these things, but you do very little to back your claims up. Your latest comment is a slight improvement over your previous ones, but it still suffers from the same fundamental problem: you make a claim without elaborating.
Jan 27, 2019 3:14 PM

Feb 2011
@VKDOOM Seems others have already corrected your misinterpretation, so I'll just summarize: MC does not "force her to do things she doesn’t want to do" from episode 2 onward. Sure, she didn't at first, but like most children being told to do things they don't want to do, the parent fails to explain why they must do it. After Raphtalia is made aware of the reason behind why she is being told to fight, episode 2 should make it clear she wishes to do it of her own volition from then on. MC even gave her an ultimatum, fight or he'll find someone else to do the job. She was free to decline if she so chose. He had cured her illness to some extent, so he probably would have released her and just bought someone else if it came down to it. There is nothing problematic with this writing. Raphtalia decided to fight for him on her own. Nothing is forced. MC isn't brainwashing her either if that's what you think.

I'll give up on changing your opinion of what a slave-master relationship is since you believe anyone who's told to do something they don't want to do implies it's a slave-master relationship. This includes parents, guardians, teachers, trainers, officers, debt collectors, etc... Those are some unreasonable standards my friend.
Give me at least 5 minutes to modify my post before quoting me. (refreshing page advised)
Jan 27, 2019 4:20 PM

Mar 2013
ttcchen said:
But i don't like how they didn't mention Raphtalia's appearance grows with her level instead of her age, how her actual age is still 10

Is that why?? I had to go back and double check when he said it'd been a week since the last episode. This way of "aging" suddenly makes more sense.
Jan 27, 2019 4:22 PM

Apr 2007
hawk222 said:
ttcchen said:
But i don't like how they didn't mention Raphtalia's appearance grows with her level instead of her age, how her actual age is still 10

Is that why?? I had to go back and double check when he said it'd been a week since the last episode. This way of "aging" suddenly makes more sense.

That's how it is. The next episode explains it. Though technically her appearance also changes with age. It's just that when they're younger they grow older as they level. They stop aging through leveling once they reach their physical peak. So early to mid 20's.
Jan 27, 2019 7:51 PM
Jan 2019
Reload said:
@VKDOOM Seems others have already corrected your misinterpretation, so I'll just summarize: MC does not "force her to do things she doesn’t want to do" from episode 2 onward. Sure, she didn't at first, but like most children being told to do things they don't want to do, the parent fails to explain why they must do it. After Raphtalia is made aware of the reason behind why she is being told to fight, episode 2 should make it clear she wishes to do it of her own volition from then on. MC even gave her an ultimatum, fight or he'll find someone else to do the job. She was free to decline if she so chose. He had cured her illness to some extent, so he probably would have released her and just bought someone else if it came down to it. There is nothing problematic with this writing. Raphtalia decided to fight for him on her own. Nothing is forced. MC isn't brainwashing her either if that's what you think.

There is one thing i'll grant their side of the argument. I don't like how slavery is basically treated as something okay in the series.

Naofumi-Raftalia dynamic is a pretty decent dynamic. The only way slavery factors into said dynamic is as a way for them to meet. Which, IMO, is a poor reason to even have slavery factored in (he might've picked her up on the street instead or something).

The fundamental complaint from me here - stories that rely on slavery as plotdevice like that make light of slavery and don't treat the subject matter as seriously as they should. Though i can't lay this issue at the feet of Shield Hero, because this issue exists across not just anime, but a great deal of other media, too.
Jan 27, 2019 8:04 PM
Jan 2019
VKDOOM said:

The timeskip skips a week of nothing but Raftalia killing monsters and eating a lot to fuel the body's rapid growth. You can frame killing monsters as "doing things she doesn't want", but since the dog incident Raftalia resolves to be a monster killer for the sake of Naofumi and their shared goals, so even that is not the case. As for food, she does want to eat - her rapidly growing body demands it.

The manga and LN also feature some things during that week involving Raftalia's past, the flags and the ball, that i thought were pretty good characterization for Raftalia and her relationship with Naofumi.

Raftalia is not "more capable of talking back", she straight up talks back.

Naofumi is technically her master, so that much is true. However, ever since the dog scene in ep.2, there is nothing here in terms of a slavemaster-slave dynamic. We don't have orders, we don't have physical coercion, we don't have abuse and we never had neglect.

What we have here is more of a master - servant-with-an-attitude dynamic going on.

You are correct that it is still not a father-daughter dynamic. Naofumi still needs to clear some of his hangups before that becomes a thing on his end. It never becomes a thing on Raftalia's end, what she eventually develops is an unrequited crush.

Yeah, slavery is just a plotdevice here. Specifically, a way for socially incompetent Naofumi to meet girls -.-.

I don't like the implications either, but i think you're wrong in attempting to make the plotdevice color the entire relationship going forward and even insisting that abuse and mistreatment happens off-screen. A much simpler explanation is that the japanese author just didn't put much thought into implications of slavery for the western market and is therefore unable to properly address them.
malMaxiJan 27, 2019 8:18 PM
Jan 27, 2019 8:23 PM
Jan 2019
hystar said:
ep3 is a mixed feeling for me, monsters attacking a village makes no sense if these monsters are trying to end the world. Also the battle scenes are pathetic, I have to close my eyes and use my imagination to make it better.

You make it sound like "ending the world" does not consist of systematic elimination of all dwellings of sentient species. Attacking villages would be the primary goal of such incursions.

The fight scenes were pretty good. Especially the way Naofumi and Raftalia were in sync were pretty awesome.

I agree on lack of urgency thing. I disagree that the show did a lot to actually create urgency. It is kind of implied that the waves already happened in the past and that the world more or less dealt with them.
Jan 27, 2019 11:48 PM

Feb 2011
@malMaxi I question why anyone would think this series depicts slavery as "OK" before it even finishes airing. The series hasn't even given it's opinion on the matter yet. If your referring to no one calling out the fact that the MC has a slave, it just means he has hidden it well enough to not draw attention. Otherwise, it really is something the kingdom allows. If we were watching something historically accurate, we can't really criticize the creator(s) for depicting something that was common place. Documentaries that depict slavery aren't saying it was OK. They're just reenacting history as accurately as possible. Anime is no different besides the fact it's a work of fiction. If a fantasy world has slavery in it, who are we to say showing it implies it's OK. No one watching believes it's OK, and we all know the MC has been educated that it isn't as well. He doesn't take it lightly either, as he doesn't go around treating her like a slave, both in public and in private.

I've said this to many already, but I'll say it again: watch the entire series before jumping to conclusions. If you still believe the series depicts slavery as OK, then your probably not paying attention to the main focus of the story. It's not that it's taking slavery lightly. It just hasn't focused on it the first 3 episodes. We have 20+ more to go. If they do avoid the subject to the very end, I'd rather go out on a limb and say it's a form of censorship. Both the LN and manga have dedicated chapters on the subject. The anime adaptation would have to cut those chapters out completely to get around the subject. The series isn't running away from the subject in the slightest. Just viewers jumping to conclusions. There's mystery surrounding both the kingdom and the world the heroes were summoned to. You can bet the other 3 heroes aren't even aware there's slaves in a fantasy world they believe to be a game. I don't even know many games that actually implement slavery myself besides Pokemon. You have to admit, it's ridiculous to say that the creator had slavery in mind when making the game. Shield Hero is no different. There's another purpose for implementing slavery in a fantasy world besides pairing the MC with Raphtalia. You wouldn't know that till you finished watching. For starters, it makes it painfully clear to the MC that the fantasy world he was summoned to isn't a game.
ReloadJan 27, 2019 11:55 PM
Jan 28, 2019 1:48 AM

Jul 2014
How come the show depicts slavery as ok if the show itself portrays Noafumi in a bad light for buying a slave in the first place?

The author is free to do whatever he wants with his story~
Jan 28, 2019 8:42 PM

Dec 2016
hystar said:
I don't know, I just think that coming in waves with 1 month interval is just a dead plot.

I'm also confused about the logistics of the wave... they showed what looks like thousands of bugs and whatnot descending from the sky, but then shield dude saves one town and it's over. Either the wave was much smaller than it looked, or else all the other heroes did most of the work. Which would confirm their suspicion that the shield hero is dead weight.
Jan 29, 2019 12:02 AM
Jan 2019
Reload said:
@malMaxi I question why anyone would think this series depicts slavery as "OK" before it even finishes airing. The series hasn't even given it's opinion on the matter yet. If your referring to no one calling out the fact that the MC has a slave, it just means he has hidden it well enough to not draw attention. Otherwise, it really is something the kingdom allows.

Actually he will be called out on that in the next episode literally. The people who will call him out on that, however, are the mostly Motoyasu and the princess, who are established to be the opposite of the authorial PoV and definitely to not care all that much about the fate of slaves.

Furthermore, given what i know of LN (up to novel 16), the topic will be brought in the negative light in a big way once more. The situation will be resolved with transfer of slave ownership to Naofumi. Aside from that, enslaving will be the primary means of Naofumi establishing positive and lasting relationships with most of the story's female cast in the future, to the point where people will actually want to be his slaves.

Maybe the anime will sidestep this issue, i don't know. Guess you are right that we should wait and see. And like i already said, this is not an issue with the specific title, more like an issue with way different cultures view slavery.

If we were watching something historically accurate, we can't really criticize the creator(s) for depicting something that was common place. Documentaries that depict slavery aren't saying it was OK. They're just reenacting history as accurately as possible. Anime is no different besides the fact it's a work of fiction. If a fantasy world has slavery in it, who are we to say showing it implies it's OK.

Fiction is different from documentary is that it doesn't have the excuse of staying true to history. Furthermore, even documentaries can and will always be criticised for having or not having a certain bias. And, well i don't know about you, but i have personally witnessed both fiction and documentaries influence real life to a significant extent, so it isn't all trivial either.

Either way, with fiction the only reason for anything is either authorial/editorial intent, or authorial subsconsciousness peeking through lack of intent. The intent in TateYusha fundamentally says "slavery is ok if your master is alright", which has strong support in japanese culture, but not something i can agree with.

I've said this to many already, but I'll say it again: watch the entire series before jumping to conclusions. If you still believe the series depicts slavery as OK, then your probably not paying attention to the main focus of the story. It's not that it's taking slavery lightly. It just hasn't focused on it the first 3 episodes.

Yeah and i also said exactly that. The simple problem i am pointing out is as follows: is slavery such a throwaway topic to be treated as nothing more than plotdevice? Really?

There's another purpose for implementing slavery in a fantasy world besides pairing the MC with Raphtalia. You wouldn't know that till you finished watching. For starters, it makes it painfully clear to the MC that the fantasy world he was summoned to isn't a game.

What makes Naofumi treat the world as real is not slavery, but his very real feelings of hurt and loss. Slavery is a mechanic (almost said game mechanic) he uses to overcome hurt and loss, and the fact that slavery is as gamified in the world as it is makes it easy for him.
Jan 29, 2019 12:33 AM
Jan 2019
hystar said:
I don't know, I just think that coming in waves with 1 month interval is just a dead plot.

Seems like a pretty direct parallel to lunar cycle to me. I don't have much of an issue with something like a lunar cycle being particularily deadly in a fantasy world.
Later on, the author develops the system a bit further (the timer is not strictly one month, depends on a great deal of things, - and there isn't even just one timer)

At the start they are talking like there's no time to level up for the shield hero, it made sense at first, but then after all the useless crap like the 'rape victim', the 3 heroes see him as a rapist, the whole world going against him, together with the fact that he can't attack/wield a sword, have to slowly teach/force a demi-human with disease and PTSD, and still managed the first wave with ease. It's actually a joke because he managed to save all(or most) of the villagers, even though the knights were fucking him over. As for a platoon helping them out, they are useless because in this world without heroes they could barely handle the easier 1st wave, and ep3 is 2nd wave, but apparently even those knights can handle it with ease... which makes no sense and kills any sort of urgency because the 'danger' doesn't exist.

The knights weren't actively impeding Naofumi, they were just being careless jerks around him (i don't think they deliberately tried to take him out with that AoE).

Naofumi's ability to corral the monsters and make them easy pickings for other combatants should come as no surprise to anyone who ever played a tank class in an MMO. Though i understand how people without that context might find it jarring.

The fight scenes are terrible, he's picked up so many new skills and he's only used a few that's already shown beforehand during the wave, and it's the same thing - Raphtalia go kill something. I was expecting that he needs to combine 2 or 3 skills to make a new move, or have a new AoE move that binds/knocks/etc. Also if you watch the monsters' attacks, they are like retarded. If a few surprised villagers can defend themselves to an extend it just shows - once again - how useless these waves are and because of that it kills any sort of urgency.

The villagers looked properly helpless to me. I'd be more surprised if they just instantly died, tbh.

Not sure what the amount of new skills used has to do with the quality of animation. These are simply separate things. Also, all of the new skill stuff will happen later in the series, this is just the first big battle. Same thing for the first wave having somewhat low stakes.

The fact that the village was destroyed because of the shitty knights instead of the monsters makes it even more of a joke.

The monsters did plenty of destroying before the knights did the AoE.

Sacrificing the village or a few lives will give the character/world more of an urgency, monsters being more deadly than 'we can't hit anything anyway' will create more of an urgency. So far it's like watching them fighting target dummies.

I understand it's due to the low budget but man, I didn't expect they'd give zero efforts on a wave, after they completely butchered the 2 headed dog fight in the cave - the part where he got bit on the shoulder and all they show was his legs and cups of blood pouring down.

Lives were sacrificed (we see some kids starting dejectedly at some familial relics after the wave), just not on screen during the battle. Which, i guess, is your issue? By the same token, the 2 headed dog fight was alright, nothing was "butchered". I guess your issue with that fight was that the focus was not on the battle, but on some characters having some emotions while you expected something out of Berserk or at least AoT.

Well, you're gonna have to deal with the fact that this show is less about battles and more about characters having emotions. And that maybe this is simply not the kind of show you want.
Jan 29, 2019 2:22 AM
Jun 2017
ohh the first wave arrived... and love that shield hero and rapthalia connection there, it just showed their synchronization in that fight...

and rapthalia is a lady already... hahaha...
Jan 29, 2019 2:36 AM

Dec 2016
hystar said:
Also towards the end Raph reported to the shield hero: "i took care of the rest of the monsters in town"... so like a demi human fighting slimes can now stand alone without the shield hero against monsters, actual monsters that are part of the 'world ending wave', and it's the 2nd wave, the very same demi-human who was a useless sick kid less than a month ago. Can you see the potential in these demi-humans? And there are a lot of them compared to just 4 heroes.

This disappointed me the most. I has looking forward to the two of them working together in creative ways to defeat enemies significantly more powerful than any they'd seen before... but instead the skeletons just stood around while the villagers waved pitchforks at them.

Hell, if enslaving demi-humans is okay in this "matriarchy", then why not conscript massive slave armies to fend off the waves? Seems like the perfect solution given the morality of this society, or lack thereof.
Jan 29, 2019 6:37 AM

Jun 2017
These discussions forums are very funny

This is not an exchange of opinions, it's just people wanting to convince the others that they are right. No one wants to be wrong and no one wants to actually learn what others think

This is very funny
May our sweet and Merciful Madoka be with you
Jan 29, 2019 9:01 AM

Jan 2017
AwesomeAlfie27 said:
These discussions forums are very funny

This is not an exchange of opinions, it's just people wanting to convince the others that they are right. No one wants to be wrong and no one wants to actually learn what others think

This is very funny

Welcome to the internet, you must be new here.

Seriously though, do you really have an issue with people defending their ideas? Especially on topics they obviously feel strongly about?

I've never seen a discussion forum where people don't bother to actually engage with each other. In fact I'd probably see that as more of a failure of a forum.
Jan 29, 2019 9:24 AM

Nov 2011
hystar said:
malMaxi said:

You make it sound like "ending the world" does not consist of systematic elimination of all dwellings of sentient species. Attacking villages would be the primary goal of such incursions.

The fight scenes were pretty good. Especially the way Naofumi and Raftalia were in sync were pretty awesome.

I don't know, I just think that coming in waves with 1 month interval is just a dead plot. At the start they are talking like there's no time to level up for the shield hero, it made sense at first, but then after all the useless crap like the 'rape victim', the 3 heroes see him as a rapist, the whole world going against him, together with the fact that he can't attack/wield a sword, have to slowly teach/force a demi-human with disease and PTSD, and still managed the first wave with ease. It's actually a joke because he managed to save all(or most) of the villagers, even though the knights were fucking him over. As for a platoon helping them out, they are useless because in this world without heroes they could barely handle the easier 1st wave, and ep3 is 2nd wave, but apparently even those knights can handle it with ease... which makes no sense and kills any sort of urgency because the 'danger' doesn't exist.

The fight scenes are terrible, he's picked up so many new skills and he's only used a few that's already shown beforehand during the wave, and it's the same thing - Raphtalia go kill something. I was expecting that he needs to combine 2 or 3 skills to make a new move, or have a new AoE move that binds/knocks/etc. Also if you watch the monsters' attacks, they are like retarded. If a few surprised villagers can defend themselves to an extend it just shows - once again - how useless these waves are and because of that it kills any sort of urgency.

The fact that the village was destroyed because of the shitty knights instead of the monsters makes it even more of a joke.

Sacrificing the village or a few lives will give the character/world more of an urgency, monsters being more deadly than 'we can't hit anything anyway' will create more of an urgency. So far it's like watching them fighting target dummies.

I understand it's due to the low budget but man, I didn't expect they'd give zero efforts on a wave, after they completely butchered the 2 headed dog fight in the cave - the part where he got bit on the shoulder and all they show was his legs and cups of blood pouring down.
Jan 29, 2019 9:48 AM
Jul 2015
There is a lot of potential to delve into the slavery dynamic in this story but it never really gets there. It gets close but slavery isn't the main driver of the story so it gets glossed over a bit. A shame really.

Jan 29, 2019 10:47 AM

Feb 2011
@malMaxi Was hard to tell if you were a reader or not. Try not to criticize the adaptation based off the source material, even if everything turns out the same. To answer your question, yes. Slavery can be treated as nothing more than plot device in entertainment. It matters not whether slavery is a throwaway topic or not. Death is glossed over as is in much of entertainment already. Same can be said of many other immoral acts equivalent to murder. How I see it, the MC's relationship with his slave(s) isn't a depiction of slavery in the first place. If you wanted to see a story where it is depicted, go no further than documentaries. Fiction isn't the place we seek accuracy to begin with. It's usually a means of escapism; though, much of fiction gets its inspiration from RL. TateYusha isn't saying "slavery is OK if your master is alright." If I were to put it in my own words, it's saying "it's not slavery if the slaves are free to leave." The same can be said for other things like parenting. It's not parenting if the parent(s) abuse their child(ren). The only thing that makes the MC's relationship with his slave(s) "alright" is the fact that he will release if asked. The MC is by no means an accurate depiction of slavery. No one buys slaves because of trust issues. No one becomes a slave to become stronger. As you know, an accurate depiction of slavery will be revealed much later in the story. I'll say this again, it's not the MC's role in the series to depict slavery as acceptable. That's the kingdom's role for allowing it. If you've read, you should know why.
ReloadJan 29, 2019 9:11 PM
Jan 29, 2019 11:35 AM

Jun 2017
Maurice_5 said:

Welcome to the internet, you must be new here.

Seriously though, do you really have an issue with people defending their ideas? Especially on topics they obviously feel strongly about?

I've never seen a discussion forum where people don't bother to actually engage with each other. In fact I'd probably see that as more of a failure of a forum.

Thank you

I Never said that, defending an idea is the beginning of an argument or debate

I Never said that, but a debate shouldn't be about who's right or who's wrong, but about why

Personally i don't care what you like, i care why you like it
May our sweet and Merciful Madoka be with you
Jan 29, 2019 1:57 PM

Dec 2016
I came in to this thread oblivious of all the flaws that it has, but even after realizing that it does have alot of flaws its still a very refreshing anime and for an isekai anime its pretty solid. Depending on how they go on with the story this will either be an amazing show to start off 2019 or a major let down... I hope its the first one.

8/10
Jan 29, 2019 10:14 PM
Jan 2019
@Reload
I agree with your interpretation that slavery is simply not the focus of the novels.

I disagree that slavery is a topic that can be handled lightly or as a convenience, but that's a holywar topic that can be had forever without any real end in sight. My position is simple - have enough good works that treat slavery as something mundane and you'll have a world where slavery is mundane. However, i do realize that this is a slippery slope fallacy based on personal experience, so we can just leave it at that.

I guess the thing we can agree on is that TateYusha is pretty good. Nobody cares about how crap works treat slavery :D
Jan 29, 2019 10:49 PM
Jan 2019
hystar said:
Not saying it's a lunar cycle or not, not that I have an issue with that, but the idea alone just kills urgency/danger/end of world feel. I'll have to hope you are right, but so far it's all down to the hourglass, it's predictable, allows heroes to be prepared, etc, which again, kills urgency, contrary to what the show is trying to create.

It's a bit like saying that no tower defense games have urgency just because the waves are scheduled and early waves are weak. I happen to like TD games a lot and there is nothing wrong with early waves being weak. Same for Hero Defense genre (that never really caught on outside of mods, but still), where you have an actual hero doing the job instead of towers.

characters to make the shield hero better, in fact all of the build up(rape victim, etc) felt so forced it's like watching a kids show for 3 yrs old. Why would a knight defending 'end of world' waves tries to be a dick? I understand the heroes can be dicks because of egos and arrogance but a shitty no name knight? At that kind of moment? Especially when there are a platoon that are considered the 'good guys' within them? Like they won't report that shit to the king? lol

I don't have any issue with people who are used to being powerful and justified in their actions to continue be in that way even in the face of end-world scenarios. In fact, end-world scenarios kind of excarberate that trait. No matter how wrong people are, they just double down on what they know in a crisis - few actually correct their behaviour.

That aside, look at it from the PoV of knights:
1) To begin with, the Shield Hero is viewed as garbage for undisclosed (but hinted already in the show) reasons. The rape accusation was just the most recent thing in a long history (which made the rape accusation a viable tactic to begin with)
2) The non-garbage heroes are already doing a great job clearing out the main force. The village is a side mission at best
3) Given that the villagers are mostly already evacuated (as far as Knights know, on their own), and that the wave monsters are still a threat to the knights up-close, bombardment makes complete sense. I don't think they deliberately attacked the Shield Hero at that point, but given (1) there is no reason for them to lose sleep over it.
4) In a world where slavery is a thing, wrecking a peasant village or two can also easily be a thing. A single knight's training and gear is probably worth more than the entire village (at least that was the case IRL)
5) The "good guys" are bound by that little bit of military tradition called "oath". They can't openly contradict their superiors on the battlefield. The only reason they are even able to stay behind is because there is a clear and present enemy. There will be repercussions for them later on, too

It seems to me you still haven't bought into the idea that this world in itself is almost worse than the waves and try to hold it to XXI century morals. I understand that this might be a suspension of disbelief issue for you, i had plenty of these myself in other shows (still can't get into Neverland f/ex). However, that alone doesn't mean the show is bad.

I mean these are not level 1-5 slimes we're talking about, these are, again, 'world ending' waves of monsters that's supposed to be freaking deadly, to be distracted so easily(1 shield on its target) makes these world ending monsters a joke. Not to mention the shield hero is supposed to be massively under-level to the others, yet he can tank them ALL like nothing, not even a scratch, whereas a dog form previously weaker wave 1 did so much dmg it almost killed him. Again, makes zero sense.

I've never played an MMO where a tank can tank 1 billion monsters of current content, now if you are suggesting these monsters are like outdated content and can be killed by afking because of some random thorns damage on a piece of armor, then you just made the author of this show even more of a joke.

He isn't afking at any point though? And he isn't killing them with thorns? He actually goes on an elaborate stunt using an environment to actually do damage before Raftalia goes in.

Are you sure you aren't twisting the events of the show to fit your perception of it? Because that's the way it looks to me.

Also, again, nothing wrong game mechanics wise with early waves to be so weak that the heroes can handle them with minimal effort (while still being deadly to NPCs). Explains why the NPC would choose long distance bombardment as an egagement tactic, too.

Also, again, you are putting too much emphasis on the waves. The waves are not the core of the story, Naofumi's relationship with the world he finds himself in is.

Villagers aren't properly helpless, they can use their pitchforks to delay the monsters, yes, villagers and useless pitchforks, when they should have just been killed without the monsters just standing there afk for 10 yrs. The best part is towards the end one of the villagers actually managed to pierce the arm of one of the bigger/stronger monsters(not the bees and weak skeletons), and stopped its attack in the process...

... So? I'm not seeing your point here.
Pitchforks were a viable weapon for piercing flesh back in the day, as many a victim of peasant revolt would attest. The monsters, however, are undead. They can be momentarily stopped, but killing them with pitchforks is another matter entirely. Undead are also known for being somewhat sluggish, which explains the lack of activity that makes you mad so much. Doesn't make me mad so much because, again, early wave.

and here's the place where I'll crush your argument once and for all..

relly now?

The villager actually pulled aggro with that attack! A villager with his pitchfork pulled aggro from a tank that was already fighting and blocking!!! Hahahhaha
Go ahead and say the previous hit reduced aggro due to knockback, but man it's still funny a proper helpless villager pulled aggro with his pitchfork.

Not seeing the game mechanics issue here. Maybe this world works on a last hit aggro system. Explains why Naofumi was able to grab the all so easily in the first place.

Maybe it operates on a completely different system entirely. This part is actually never addressed in the novels. And i'm okay with it, because these minutae don't really matter. The only reason you are cligning to them is because you don't like how the anime treats the waves as a secondary concern compared to building up the actual world.

Oh I know there's character development going on, but it's stupid to have a TWO-headed dog biting on one shoulder for over a minute, and all it does is bite harder and harder and somehow a cup of blood pours down, we don't even see the shield hero's face, which would have made the scene so much better. Also it's nonsense for a TWO-headed monster to just bite your shoulder and just stand still for a minute, it's even more nonsense the shield hero did nothing to buy time by fighting against it and just stood there to allow it kill him faster.

Well the hero is holding the dog down? Probably holding down the body with one hand and holding down one head with the other?

Look, at this point you just want to dislike the show. And, more importantly, want me to dislike it for the reasons you dislike it. Sorry, but i don't really have your issues, which seem to stem from the fact that you care more for waves than for the actual world they are happening in. I care more for the world, the waves are just excuses to have big dumb fights and show the world from various sides.

The specific details of the dog's biology and movement and whatever happened to its second head don't matter to me, when the important stuff (including for Naofumi's victory over the dog) is Raftalia's decision.

Of course this show is less about battles, I've already talked about how I like the shield hero idea and expected him to be more of a smart hero than just a typical swordplay character, but I didn't expect absolutely nothing from battles in an anime about saving the world from 'world ending waves'. It's not about the show/plot, it's the lack of effort/budget that I'm truly disappointed about, you'd be lying if this anime doesn't have the potential to be one of the best but you'd also be lying if it's anywhere near perfect, because there's so much room for improvement it's limitless.

Sorry, you are wrong.
There is nothing "lack of effort" about the actual combat scenes. In specifically this episode, the way Raftalia weaves around the attack and then combos with Naofumi was pretty amazing. You are deliberately choosing to be blind to it, because - i don't know - allergy to CG zombies or something? (And i don't have any issue with CG zombies either, they were also pretty good).

I appreciate that this show is not what you expected out of Shield Hero, but that's what the people with the resources, talent and know-how to adapt it chose to make.

If you are saying you could have made it better - then maybe you should go ahead and do it. Abridged series on YouTube are a thing and some of them improve the source material tremendously (SAO abridged is great. So is everything done by TFS). You can even work to have your own show, where you can do whatever. RWBY over at Rooster Teeth started with a guy named Monty Oum just making Dead or Alive battle movies to his liking.

Maybe you can start your own legend by making a great movie about heroes defending the waves. Come on, show those nabs how ta git gud, u gosu.
malMaxiJan 29, 2019 11:10 PM
Jan 29, 2019 11:24 PM
Nov 2018
I just watched all three episodes. Wow, what a great show! One of the best anime I have watched in the last year. This one and Reincarnated as a Slime - I guess I'm a sucker for isekai after all.

Love how he has this great power to survive, but still has to come up with clever solutions all the time because he has no offensive power.

Only weird thing is that Raphtalia is so good at fighting. Maybe it's because she is a Hero's team member.

I wonder if he will buy any more slaves. Since he needs offensive power, and what happens if Raphtalia dies in battle? Or if she is gravely wounded, and dies because there wasn't another slave there to fight in her stead? More slave-cutiez, plz!

Ahem. *clears throat*

One horrible thing is that he can't take off the shield. Consider how that would be like torture. Even when he sleeps, it's there. This is the only thing I think the show handled badly. (Aside from having those random people showing up to be team members in the first episode. A little more organization and effort here, maybe, king-sama?)

Instead of making it "can't take off the shield," they could have made it that he can take it off, but can't go far from it. Not like it would physically stop him. But that he just feels drawn to it - he simply must bring it with him. This way he could keep it next to the bed when he sleeps. And next to the bath.
Jan 30, 2019 12:02 AM

Feb 2011
malMaxi said:
@Reload
I agree with your interpretation that slavery is simply not the focus of the novels.

I disagree that slavery is a topic that can be handled lightly or as a convenience, but that's a holywar topic that can be had forever without any real end in sight. My position is simple - have enough good works that treat slavery as something mundane and you'll have a world where slavery is mundane. However, i do realize that this is a slippery slope fallacy based on personal experience, so we can just leave it at that.

I guess the thing we can agree on is that TateYusha is pretty good. Nobody cares about how crap works treat slavery :D

Which is why I brought up the topic of death and murder in entertainment. Controversial subjects can be handled lightly or for convenience whether you like it or not. The horror genre speaks for itself. Glad you realize your argument is flawed. News reports enough atrocities to be mundane already, and the entertainment industry has far less pull on the world than the news. The only way we'd have multiple "works that treat slavery as something mundane" is if slavery was mundane in RL. Truth be told, it already is. We are perfectly fine with keeping pets because they're a less intelligent species. What makes it "alright" in our eyes is the fact we've domesticated them. The reason entertainment is able to handle slavery lightly or out of convenience at all is because it's the produced of creativity. TateYusha has a kingdom with prejudice against demi-humans. If not slavery, we'd see hunting, executing, sacrificing, and/or segregation. Ring any bells? Inspiration comes from RL. Everyone has standards, but we're better off not applying them to entertainment. It's pushing the envelope that makes stories like these unique. TateYusha is just one of them that had the guts to do it.

Your right though. Only reason a series would get this much attention is if it's pretty good. Some viewers are just disappointed false accusations and slavery came with the package.
Jan 30, 2019 3:58 AM

Jan 2017
Reload said:
The only way we'd have multiple "works that treat slavery as something mundane" is if slavery was mundane in RL. Truth be told, it already is. We are perfectly fine with keeping pets because they're a less intelligent species. What makes it "alright" in our eyes is the fact we've domesticated them.

Did... did you just compare slavery to keeping pets?

Wow. Maybe take a couple of steps back and think about those implications for a while, huh?
Jan 30, 2019 7:05 AM
Nov 2018
Maurice_5 said:
Did... did you just compare slavery to keeping pets?

Wow. Maybe take a couple of steps back and think about those implications for a while, huh?

Yes, I was thinking the same. 😃

But slavery is an interesting topic - rarely have people talked and read so much about a topic, and watched so many movies, while learning so little. The discussion here would look entirely different if people knew more.

If school textbooks weren't such a failure, he could have talked about the actual slavery that still exists, notably in Africa. African tribes kept slaves for millennia until Europeans forced them to stop, often at gunpoint, but it still persists, as does cannibalism in some areas of the continent, and especially in wartime. The Somalis would keep Bantus as slaves, for example. The Dahomey ("tha homey!") kingdom and its two neighbors waged wars to take slaves, and these were the ones who sold slaves to better-paying Europeans. (People watch Kunta Kinte and think Europeans landed randomly to search for slaves inland. That's a great way to go bankrupt. They bought the slaves from African slave dealers. And disease prevented them from moving inland, so they could only stay by the coast, and when Western medicine solved this problem the slave trade was long since over.)

There's an interesting book about Dahomey. Long before that, Arabs from North America depopulated parts of the European coast with their raids for women to sell as sex slaves. As always it was the most fair women with blue eyes and blond hair who fetched the best price. The first crusade was a way to stop these corsair raids, which it did. Ottomans took women from the Balkans as slaves and sold them to the Arabs, and Ukrainian and Russian women were sold.

Plains Indians took other tribes as slaves, took Whites as slaves, bought White and black slaves. Yes, there were White slaves first in North America, some even owned by Blacks. The Amistad movie, wildly historically inaccurate, doesn't mention that the freed main character was believed to have become a slave trader in Africa. The South American Indians of course had massive slavery until Europeans stopped them. The inaccurate Spartacus series never mentions that Spartacus' people kept slaves. India, Central Asia, China.... Even Chinese Buddhist monks had slaves working their fields. Only in the West did moral arguments arise against slavery, and this was then enforced by the European empires in the rest of the world. Even though some of them still persist - it's an interesting map if you Google it. Anyway, the virtue signaling about slavery in this forum seems completely void of this wider view.
Jan 30, 2019 7:05 AM
Jan 2019
Reload said:
Which is why I brought up the topic of death and murder in entertainment. Controversial subjects can be handled lightly or for convenience whether you like it or not. The horror genre speaks for itself.

TateYusha is not really a horror, though. I'd probably not have the slavery issue with it if it was a horror, because horror as a genre is designed to handle horrifying subject matter.

Glad you realize your argument is flawed. News reports enough atrocities to be mundane already, and the entertainment industry has far less pull on the world than the news. The only way we'd have multiple "works that treat slavery as something mundane" is if slavery was mundane in RL. Truth be told, it already is. We are perfectly fine with keeping pets because they're a less intelligent species. What makes it "alright" in our eyes is the fact we've domesticated them.

My argument is not more flawed than anyone else's, so i'm happy standing by it :D
Bad news should be an indication of something bad happening, should they not? And yeah, we do already have IRL slavery, and it's not just limited to pets.

The reason entertainment is able to handle slavery lightly or out of convenience at all is because it's the produced of creativity.

Creative people do have a penchant for ignoring the fundamentals in favour of advancing their creativity. And we did allow said penchant to run away in XX century, to murderous results. Then again, in XX century we also flew to the moon and made the Internet, so yeah can't say it was entirely a disaster.

The link between creativity and taboo issues like slavery is a deep one. My only real argument here is that creativity that doesn't really address the taboos and makes light of them is usually shallow - at least insofar as topics related to taboos go. TateYusha specifically has a bit of slump for about 10 novels (after the invasion with the ship), precisely because it simply ran out of taboos to unpack (and couldn't really properly push the slavery angle because it was profaned to begin with).

TateYusha has a kingdom with prejudice against demi-humans. If not slavery, we'd see hunting, executing, sacrificing, and/or segregation. Ring any bells? Inspiration comes from RL. Everyone has standards, but we're better off not applying them to entertainment. It's pushing the envelope that makes stories like these unique. TateYusha is just one of them that had the guts to do it.

My argument is that it doesn't REALLY have the guts to do it. The only envelope it really has the guts to push is the envelope the full extent of consequences of rage, and also how it still is occasionally justified and can be properly handled with proper preparation and assistance.

In an odd way, this is the exact problem the other guy i previously answered to in this topic has with TateYusha. Not enough violence and stakes for the kind of story that truly "has the guts to do it". I mean, take TateYusha and take Berserk. It is not even close.

Your right though. Only reason a series would get this much attention is if it's pretty good. Some viewers are just disappointed false accusations and slavery came with the package.

My biggest disappointment, i guess, is that the series never goes anywhere with both false accusations and slavery. I guess we should get a resolution to the Princess' story at some point, but no such luck as of novel 16.

It is good the series is strong in other aspects :D
malMaxiJan 30, 2019 7:24 AM
Jan 30, 2019 7:16 AM
Jan 2019
@Hegar
I recall reading a fascinating book about the causes of US Civil War. I can't link it because it was not in english and it isn't on sale anywhere anymore. However, the point was that US Civil War was not this great fight between good and evil, but rather was a great fight between the people who wanted to continue exploiting the slaves and people who wanted to exploit the wage labour. And since wage labour exploitation was more effective than slave exploitation, wage people won the war.

Slavery is a bad because it's basically a retrograde economic concept. And it is a retrograde economic concept, because for every Naofumi you get ... well, the bitch princess, the three other heroes, and then the few other characters (mostly antagonists) who i won't spoil. All of the human rights arguments we have wrapped around it are just a way to make a shorthand explanations for all the economic reasons slavery is worse than anything we've had since.

That being said, sure, we all have a history of it. Everyone had to start somewhere.
malMaxiJan 30, 2019 7:20 AM
Jan 30, 2019 8:03 AM

Feb 2011
@Maurice_5 I'm actually someone who doesn't believe in keeping pets. I'm not a dog or a cat person. The fact that there are dog and cat people already shows how much we've normalized it. I haven't looked into the history of pets, but I'm pretty sure humans didn't always have them. However, your right: we don't force pets to obey us; though, there are areas where we do. The main similarity is that they're considered legal property, same as slaves. The only differences being they aren't people and are kept for companionship or pleasure. After compare definitions, they both sound the same to me with the exception of the word "person."

I bring it up because the MC of the series isn't forcing his slave(s) to obey him either. I'll counter my argument by stating that he doesn't keep said slave(s) for companionship or pleasure though. However, he does treat said slave(s) as person(s). Hence, "it's not slavery if the slave is treated as a person." It's not a question of whether slavery is alright or not based on how nice the master is. It's a matter of whether the master perceives their property as a person or not. The excuse slave owners had in the past for keeping them was that they didn't perceive their slaves as people. The MC of this series clearly sees his slave as a person, and decides to treat her as such. The point I make is perception is the biggest factor in all this. If we called pet owners, "slave owners" instead, would we still consider it acceptable? It's one of the reason it's ridiculous to say Pokemon depicts slavery even though masters are called "trainers." Pokemon are tamed creatures kept for companionship or pleasure in much the same way as pets.

Anyhow, I see I've hit a landmine here. Not like I feel strongly enough about my opinion to outlaw pet ownership. You have to admit we've normalized pet ownership a great deal throughout history. I'm sure this has been done already in entertainment, but an alien with the appearance of a dog or cat with the same intelligence as a human would see our actions as slavery. What they don't know is that we go further by treating pets as our own family. Though the MC of Shield Hero is a slave owner, he does just as much the same thing in treating his slave(s) as his own child(ren). There'd obviously be less complaints if he had bough a monster instead of a demi-human. He probably would have if Raphtalia wasn't at death's door in need of saving. I'll say no more. My explanation should suffice on the matter.
Jan 30, 2019 9:41 AM

Nov 2013
Of course humans didn't always have pets, that was something that developed during human history. The earliest historically confirmed signs of domestication of wolves are from 40000 years ago at the maximum. How the wolf got domesticated, is not conclusively proven. One theory is, that wolves followed human hunters to feed on the food residue, that they would leave behind and over time a close(r) relationship/partnership would develop. The domestication of cats only began, when humans became sedentary, findings of human and cat remains at one place date back 9000 years. They were initially drawn to human settlements as waste exterminators. At least the domestication of the wolf was long before institutionalized slavery. Then there's the fact that cats were sacred in ancient Egypt and in other parts of the world they were treasured as pest control. In medieval Wales, the killing of a cat was punishable by law. The perpetrator had to give as much corn as was necessary to completely cover the dead cat as compensation to the owner.

While it was always used as a justification for conquest and slavery to say "they are savages" or even worse "they are animals", comparisons between slavery and keeping domesticated animals are flimsy at best.

Additionally, in Germany in the past, animals were sometimes tried and convicted the same as humans. If someone would commit sodomy, the animal would also be executed same as the human. In one documented case from the 1800s, a female donkey was only spared because the town's mayor and pastor had attested her an irreproachable moral conduct. In some cases, animals were even tried for murder.
TheBigGuyJan 30, 2019 9:57 AM
You're a louse, Roger Smith. - R. Dorothy Wayneright
This is my fight! No Senpai, this is our fight! - Kojou Akatsuki & Yukina Himeragi
Jan 30, 2019 11:49 AM

Oct 2013
Naofumi and Raphtalia's bonds are growing stronger as the time of their party's existence passes. It's nice to see how they trust each other and rely on themselves.

Battle with the Wave and Naofumi's defense of the village (aided by sword-wielding Raphtalia) was simply epic.
Pages (10) « First ... « 6 7 [8] 9 10 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 16, 2019

402 by MaauFe »»
May 20, 4:42 PM

Poll: » Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 26, 2019

546 by ridly »»
May 6, 7:00 PM

Poll: » Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jun 19, 2019

243 by ridly »»
May 6, 6:22 PM

Poll: » Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 24, 2019

271 by Der_Body »»
Apr 26, 9:56 AM

Poll: » Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 12, 2019

169 by SanessyAdversary »»
Apr 26, 8:10 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.