Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (10) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Apr 7, 2018 11:08 AM

Nov 2014
really nice start!! the hype is back for shure.. PLUS ULTRA!!
Apr 7, 2018 11:09 AM
Mar 2016
joker341 said:
This was dreadful. Starting off a season with such a filler ruined my expectations for the season as a whole. It was a really bad idea to start off like this. Also, is it just me, or did the animation look pretty bad in most of the pool scenes?

Aren't you forgetting that S2 basically did the same thing even worse in episode 1, although that was only half filler? To me this was completely fine since I expected them to do sth similar to season 2.

As a manga reader, adding filler stuff there was probably the best they could've done there as season 2 ended during the middle of a chapter at the best place they could've ended S2. The problem was that what came after that wouldn't have been a good start to S3.

As for the animation, it was actually good, not the best but still way better than most of S1. They probably didn't use their best animators since this was just filler.

Also I find it strange how people rage about a single filler episode. They were bound to do a filler episode either way this season. Otherwise they can't fill 25 episodes with 50 chapters since they sometimes adapt 2.5 chapters per episode. So isn't it better the earlier they do the filler? Better a filler early into the season than late into the season. I mean they could've made this episode half-filler like S2, if they wanted. But with the content we're getting next, it would've felt weird to have both in the same episode.
Apr 7, 2018 11:12 AM

Sep 2015
Robiiii said:
@salokannel2 Hey man theres this really cool anime that you might find interesting, it just started airing, i think you’re gonna like it!
oh wow man, I think Im gonna dig this cool new show! It looks rad!!
Apr 7, 2018 11:16 AM
Apr 2016
wildhood said:
Boku no Hero Academia season 3 is finally here and it starts off with a semi-recap/semi-filler episode?! Seriously?! wtf Bones?! Have to wait another week for this 3rd season to properly start. smh.

There is such concept called "connection". With this first episode of A NEW SEASON they have both reviewed the whole past story, and established connection between them to start gaining speed. Coming from preview, series will be back full speed from the next episode.
I am unsure why is every uncultured on Art simpleton is demanding a full-frontal max speed episode from the get go. It does not work this way, never did, never will unless you are a second-rate action blockbuster.
Re:formed
Apr 7, 2018 11:20 AM

Jun 2017
This honestly is how recap episodes should be done.
Recap but also new stuff (even if its filler).
Not like some other bullshit recaps (I'm looking at you Beatless with your 2 Recaps in 12 Episodes...)
Loved it.
Apr 7, 2018 11:20 AM
Jan 2018
TheEnhancedExe said:
joker341 said:
This was dreadful. Starting off a season with such a filler ruined my expectations for the season as a whole. It was a really bad idea to start off like this. Also, is it just me, or did the animation look pretty bad in most of the pool scenes?

Aren't you forgetting that S2 basically did the same thing even worse in episode 1, although that was only half filler? To me this was completely fine since I expected them to do sth similar to season 2.

As a manga reader, adding filler stuff there was probably the best they could've done there as season 2 ended during the middle of a chapter at the best place they could've ended S2. The problem was that what came after that wouldn't have been a good start to S3.

As for the animation, it was actually good, not the best but still way better than most of S1. They probably didn't use their best animators since this was just filler.

Also I find it strange how people rage about a single filler episode. They were bound to do a filler episode either way this season. Otherwise they can't fill 25 episodes with 50 chapters since they sometimes adapt 2.5 chapters per episode. So isn't it better the earlier they do the filler? Better a filler early into the season than late into the season. I mean they could've made this episode half-filler like S2, if they wanted. But with the content we're getting next, it would've felt weird to have both in the same episode.

Yeah, I get you. I just binged two seasons in 3 days, so I'm pretty caught up on the story. I found myself skipping through half of this episode and I get it that they have to fill out 25 episodes, but if you're going to have bad filler like this, shorten the season. This is why I tend to avoid shonen anime, way too much repetition and the animation is just decent. I just judged the episode as it was, it's really not good. It reminded of that one filler episode of Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters, Battle City arc, right before Yugi is about to face Joey who is being controlled by Malik; and it's just Yugi riding in a helicopter while remembering everything that happened. There's no plot progression, there's no character development, there's not even any fun pointless action and/or dialogue; it's completely throwaway. I'm sure the rest of the season will be fine, but this episode, as it is, is pretty goddamn bad.
Apr 7, 2018 11:25 AM
Jan 2018
At least for now, I think the ED is better than the OP but that'll probably change once the show starts up again and there's narrative to back the OP. Also, I'm a little mad that Funimation didn't SimulDub the first episode, but they've been working hard so it's fine.
Apr 7, 2018 11:29 AM

Jul 2009
All this episode does is continue to confirm KiriBaku. OTP! OTP! OTP!!!

Also, UVERWORLD!!! Woohoo! <3333
Apr 7, 2018 11:31 AM
Mar 2016
joker341 said:
TheEnhancedExe said:

Yeah, I get you. I just binged two seasons in 3 days, so I'm pretty caught up on the story. I found myself skipping through half of this episode and I get it that they have to fill out 25 episodes, but if you're going to have bad filler like this, shorten the season. This is why I tend to avoid shonen anime, way too much repetition and the animation is just decent. I just judged the episode as it was, it's really not good. It reminded of that one filler episode of Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters, Battle City arc, right before Yugi is about to face Joey who is being controlled by Malik; and it's just Yugi riding in a helicopter while remembering everything that happened. There's no plot progression, there's no character development, there's not even any fun pointless action and/or dialogue; it's completely throwaway. I'm sure the rest of the season will be fine, but this episode, as it is, is pretty goddamn bad.

Tbh, I've seen way worse episodes. For a filler episode, they actually did a great job since there were quite a few funny moments. Maybe you're not really into slice of life stuff?

Anyways, I think what lots of anime fail at is that some characters don't act like their usual selves in filler episodes. Tbh, if I hadn't read the manga, I wouldn't have known this was filler unless I read it somewhere like you did. The characters acted perfectly the same way as they usually do which I've barely ever seen in filler. And in BnHA's case, it is probably even harder to do because most characters have really distinctive character traits compared to other shounen anime.

What simply seperates Boku no Hero Academia from other battle shounen is that Horikoshi isn't afraid to simply add slice of life and comedy bits into the manga. And this episode to me felt really similar to the usual sort of comedy of the show.
Apr 7, 2018 11:31 AM

Aug 2017
This episode was basically a recap, but there was new material mixed in so it held my interest. Overall, I think it was a decent episode.
Apr 7, 2018 11:33 AM

Jul 2014
Even a recap episode is great in this series. OP and ED are awesome!
Apr 7, 2018 11:36 AM
Nov 2016
The Op wasn't bad, I liked t quite a bit.

Eventhough it was a filler episode, it was a good filler episode, it served as a pseudo-recap episode by reminding us of all the things that happened and showing us how each of them had changed.

The ending doesn't seem like an ending from a shounen anime but it's still great.
Apr 7, 2018 11:41 AM

Apr 2016
Kind of a meaningless recap episode but oh well.

An opening by Uverworld is always nice to hear. The ending wasn't so good though.

Apr 7, 2018 11:42 AM

Sep 2016
Terrible filler, it felt like a recap of the highlights of both seasons rather than a decent filler. The animation was okay, it could've better. The Opening is subpar, while the animations and secuences are good the song is forgettable, nothing will top the amazing The Day, and it will probably be changed soon in mid season.
I'm looking forward for the Episode 2 tho
EvocationWizardApr 7, 2018 11:47 AM
Apr 7, 2018 11:45 AM
Mar 2018
I kinda can see all the hate coming towards me already, but I have to ask this. Does anyone else think that every season of every top airing anime just uses the same pacing and the same structure? Like there is always the slow and friendly start, then towards the middle we have some tension bumps but just an overall buildup until the big twist is hinted and in the end the showdown. I'm not saying it's bad. Even a negaton like me binged the show, but it looks just so mediocre if you look at it that way.
Apr 7, 2018 11:53 AM

May 2015
Ohhh shit. Here we go again.

I want girls in bikini. Mineta my man!
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Apr 7, 2018 11:54 AM

Dec 2016
Well a filer/recap episode from past seasons. Enjoyed the OP but the ending is classic
Signature removed. Please have a positive iq.
Apr 7, 2018 11:56 AM

Sep 2010
OH BOI I CAN'T WAIT FOR THIS SHIT! THE ANIMATION IS GODLIKE!
Apr 7, 2018 12:01 PM

Sep 2014
JudoJD said:
8.8 - 8.7 recap episode?

Lol.. The MHA cancer is real XD

Lol, as a fan I agree.
Apr 7, 2018 12:08 PM

Dec 2016
The new opening is so awesome!!! Also, this was a recap and pool episode which I thought was interesting.I'm not surprised that the race was stopped before Midoriya, Todoroki and Bakugou got a chance to race but I'm kind of disappointed that we couldn't find out who would win. Kirishima and Bakugou's friendship is sweet aswell.
modge
Apr 7, 2018 12:09 PM

Jan 2011
haven't watched it yet just wanted to check out the OP bummed to hear it was a recap 2nd time this week i been excited to watch a new season only to be slapped in the face with a recap.

do hope that animation is a telling of them going all out for these fights they look great in the OP.
Apr 7, 2018 12:10 PM
Mar 2016
Corvus8 said:
Uneccessary and complete garbage filler episode. I thought it can't get worse than episode 19 of season 2, this proved me wrong.

have you seen an op before. Do you want them to just show character shots. And every my hero op teases the fights that is the draw of the show.
Apr 7, 2018 12:16 PM
Mar 2016
joker341 said:
TheEnhancedExe said:

As recap episodes go this was pretty good they could have just shown a summary of what’s happening but they decided to have some stuff happen in between. And this episode had Foreshadowing for things that will happen later
Apr 7, 2018 12:18 PM
Apr 2016
DonTrumpolino said:
I kinda can see all the hate coming towards me already, but I have to ask this. Does anyone else think that every season of every top airing anime just uses the same pacing and the same structure? Like there is always the slow and friendly start, then towards the middle we have some tension bumps but just an overall buildup until the big twist is hinted and in the end the showdown. I'm not saying it's bad. Even a negaton like me binged the show, but it looks just so mediocre if you look at it that way.

First of all, even if the series follow the same principle each season, when the quality is on the level with Boku no Hero Academia, it does not anyhow become a disadvantage to the series. It is merely the way the story is structured. That is if we are talking 24 episodic seasons of on-going stories, not complete 12 episode series (because you can't blame them how they present the story in comparison to previous seasons, because there were none). Now to the other outrageous thing.
To start with it I will have to cite one of the Mightiest heroes of All time - That's preposterous. There always has to be a buildup before a showdown, unless there is that rebellious creator who thought deconstructing the showdown post the fact is a great idea (which it might be if he manages making it a great idea). Again, this (and I'd assume all other "top" series you are talking about) is not some worthless action blockbuster for the sake of violence and mutilation. There is cause, and there is effect. There is plan, and there is execution. I understand you see the wavelength of how the series work - action up, action down, action up, action down. Well,... what about it? What "mediocrity" could be hiding behind this universal pattern of reality? Do you think the storm be eternal, or the calm be momentous?
Apr 7, 2018 12:20 PM
Apr 2016
ClumsyOrange said:
The new opening is so awesome!!! Also, this was a recap and pool episode which I thought was interesting.I'm not surprised that the race was stopped before Midoriya, Todoroki and Bakugou got a chance to race but I'm kind of disappointed that we couldn't find out who would win. Kirishima and Bakugou's friendship is sweet aswell.

Kirishima is like a big brother watching out for his autist little brother not to antagonize every matter in the universe. Partly because he knows deep inside he is a good guy (as usual).
Apr 7, 2018 12:21 PM

Aug 2014
Not a big fan of the new opening, but my opinion doesn't matter.

Don't remember the pool scene happening in the manga. Then again, I'm pretty sure the whole episode was just used to recap everything that had happened prior to the beginning, so it doesn't matter.

Also, I guess I can see how far this season will get by looking at the opening. That's a pretty decent amount of progress.
Apr 7, 2018 12:23 PM

Sep 2010
HIP HIP hurray for the Pool Episode. Now we just need the beach episode and the anime can end.
Apr 7, 2018 12:35 PM
Mar 2018
It was a nice filler recap. It's been a while since I watched season 2, and I haven't read the manga, so I didn't mind the refresher on the characters too much.

The OP was pretty good, looks like it's teasing some good moments to come.

Can't wait for more!

Apr 7, 2018 12:36 PM
Apr 2016
Tehqo said:

Don't remember the pool scene happening in the manga. Then again, I'm pretty sure the whole episode was just used to recap everything that had happened prior to the beginning, so it doesn't matter.

Also, I guess I can see how far this season will get by looking at the opening. That's a pretty decent amount of progress.

One thing you got right is that opinions don't really matter. There is value, and there is enjoyment. One is solid, and the other is egoistic.
Apr 7, 2018 12:46 PM
Mar 2018
[quote=Daniel_Naumov message=54867114
First of all[...] be momentous? [/quote]

Well, my main issue is that I always see those top shows as a thread for outstanding writing. Mostly because of the belief that the fame mostly comes from the marketing and not the product at all. Even though I don't know all the exact details how this show came to be, I would still prefer shows like Little Witch Academia (like, is the titular similarity not obvious enough?) over this, because where it came from.
But to come back to the narrative structure with ths show I could always already see the tensions, motifs and twists at either the beginning of an episode or a couple of episodes before. It's just not the main goal of the show, the characters and action scenes are. Even though the main character is just a Shinji.

Perhaps I've grown to old for such child hero shows, that are somehow teenagers even though noone ever gets into puberty, but they all talk like they are in it and it is always a japanese school...
Apr 7, 2018 12:51 PM

Feb 2018
It may have been a filler episode but I still really enjoyed it. It’s fun seeing the students doing regular school stuff mixed with their quirks.
Apr 7, 2018 12:53 PM
Apr 2016
DonTrumpolino said:

Perhaps I've grown to old for such child hero

Alas, maybe you have.
Apr 7, 2018 12:58 PM
Feb 2017
I dont care if this was a goddam recap episode ok this has got me SO HYPED for the rest of the season. Really looking forward to episode 2

DuffsterOct 1, 2020 7:28 AM
Apr 7, 2018 1:03 PM

Aug 2014
Daniel_Naumov said:
Tehqo said:

One thing you got right is that opinions don't really matter. There is value, and there is enjoyment. One is solid, and the other is egoistic.

thats the only thing i got right? ok :(
Apr 7, 2018 1:04 PM
Apr 2016
Duffster said:
I dont fucking care if this was a goddam recap episode ok this has got me SO HYPED for the rest of the season. Really looking forward to episode 2

Could you then explain to the other 1/3 of those who can't understand why this episode is great, why is it great? Because I am getting so tired speaking with organic waste.
Tehqo said:
Daniel_Naumov said:

thats the only thing i got right? ok :(

Don't be too startled, Young someone; Everyone stumbles on their way up to enlightenment. If you work hard, conceive more and fathom not only the basics, but also the dimensions behind them, you will be able to get more Rights. I HOPE.
Apr 7, 2018 1:08 PM
Feb 2017
Daniel_Naumov said:
Duffster said:
I dont fucking care if this was a goddam recap episode ok this has got me SO HYPED for the rest of the season. Really looking forward to episode 2

Could you then explain to the other 1/3 of those who can't understand why this episode is great, why is it great? Because I am getting so tired speaking with organic waste.
it allowed for the fans to become super hyped and for them to be excited for what has yet to come in the anime. Especially when we here from manga readers that season 3 is suppossed to be fantastic so seeing past events that were super hype made everybody more hype for the next 2 arcs.

Sorry if the grammar is bad.
Apr 7, 2018 1:10 PM

Jan 2015
Good comeback. A filler episode and minor recap. Ah, the opening was Ok. My favourite still is 2nd's season.
Apr 7, 2018 1:17 PM

Jul 2012
Uraraka best girl
Midoriya best boi
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 7, 2018 1:20 PM
Jan 2014
The show’s baseline is already bad, so they make the first episode a recap to drop it from being a 4/10 show into being a 2/10. Shonen fanboys and fujos still eat it up.
Apr 7, 2018 1:22 PM
Feb 2018
I didn't hate it by any means, but i really don't like recap episodes. if i need a refresher i'll go back and re-watch episodes myself, (this goes for any entertainment medium). the slice of life stuff was okay after you get past the endless flashback scenes, but i'm so excited for the "actual" arc to start, that i couldn't help but be disappointed at the end of the episode.
Apr 7, 2018 1:24 PM

Feb 2012
So... basically the show starts next week.
Ok.
Apr 7, 2018 1:30 PM

Sep 2017
Finally! I wanted the 3rd Season to drop so bad.
The 1st episode is a little filler like, so there isn't that much action, but I enjoyed it

Apr 7, 2018 1:34 PM

Aug 2014
so how much will this season cover? thinking back to the manga and to the end of s2 the only thing i can remember is the camp part
Apr 7, 2018 1:44 PM
Feb 2018
This chapter was just a recap and refill.At least the refill was fun, but were more recap that anything. I think that this chapter isn't the best way to start a new season.
(Pdt:I loved the op and ed)
Apr 7, 2018 1:57 PM
Sep 2017
Honestly, this episode was filler, but it did what it needed to do and kick started the third season, I'm sure things will pick up as we progress and I'm looking foward to it
Apr 7, 2018 2:01 PM

Mar 2018
This was really well done for a recap episode. You could call it filler but you could also call it a reminder.
Apr 7, 2018 2:03 PM

Aug 2012
The opening is bad, feels like the song and the animation didn't match to each other.

Other than that it is just a recap but it is 2 cour (25episode - 1 filler)

Apr 7, 2018 2:13 PM
Apr 2016
I wish at least someone saying "They did not match" would give an argument or a logical conclusion explanation, why that is so. The fact that this is internet does not mean any blabber is considered a 'criticism".
Apr 7, 2018 2:14 PM

Feb 2010
My-Iori said:
The opening is bad, feels like the song and the animation didn't match to each other.

Other than that it is just a recap but it is 2 cour (25episode - 1 filler)

yeah i absolutely feel the same about the opening. its a shame considering its from UVERworld, i expected way more...

too bad this is a kinda recap but still was good
Apr 7, 2018 2:14 PM
Apr 2016
Leviathans_Iris said:
I didn't hate it by any means, but i really don't like recap episodes. if i need a refresher i'll go back and re-watch episodes myself, (this goes for any entertainment medium). the slice of life stuff was okay after you get past the endless flashback scenes, but i'm so excited for the "actual" arc to start, that i couldn't help but be disappointed at the end of the episode.

In this recap there were retrospectives and insights into the state of characters, which is by no means, anyhow "useless", like some seem co claim.
Pages (10) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Song name?

infinite_Shadows - May 27

8 by matthewy2006 »»
May 28, 4:23 PM

Poll: » Boku no Hero Academia 3rd Season Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Old_School_Akira - Aug 8, 2018

124 by Darzaka »»
May 26, 6:12 AM

Poll: » Boku no Hero Academia 3rd Season Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 29, 2018

188 by CoolAnimeWatcher »»
May 14, 4:40 PM

Poll: » Boku no Hero Academia 3rd Season Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 22, 2018

161 by CoolAnimeWatcher »»
May 14, 3:54 PM

Poll: » Boku no Hero Academia 3rd Season Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 15, 2018

262 by CoolAnimeWatcher »»
May 14, 2:57 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.