Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (7) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 »
Jul 1, 2017 3:53 PM

Dec 2016
Kuraokani said:
Gohdhand said:

If everything about it is good, then how could you not like it?
Jesus Christ, I'm for real about to give you my experience with FMA:B (it spans 2 years). So the reason I say I didn't like it

About 2 years ago I started to get interested in Anime (I can't remember what I saw that peaked me interest but it happened nonetheless) and came across this show. So I started watching, and during my time watching I may have skipped a few episodes accidentally or stopped watching for a lengthy time and picked it back up weeks later (I wouldn't remember where I left off, hence why I skipped a few episodes). Eventually I dropped it all together.

So while I say that I don't like the show, it's my own fault for ruining it for myself. I remember a lot of what I saw story wise. The reason I never picked it back up was because I'm not the type of person to re watch 40 episodes of stuff I remember.

I'm actually in the process of watching it now but it's a slow go because like I said, I just don't like to pick up a show that I dropped.

Another example would be fairy tail. I was watching it and one day (forgot why) I stopped. I couldn't remember where I left off so I didn't pick it back up. It's not the fact that I thought is was bad, I just can't be bothered to be honest.

You know "it's better to build a new chair rather than repair the old one"

I don't really understand all of what you said, but usually if I stop watching a show and then don't feel like picking it back up again, I consider the show bad because it couldn't hold my interest.

What's the difference?
Jul 1, 2017 4:03 PM
Jun 2017
Gohdhand said:
Kuraokani said:
Jesus Christ, I'm for real about to give you my experience with FMA:B (it spans 2 years). So the reason I say I didn't like it

About 2 years ago I started to get interested in Anime (I can't remember what I saw that peaked me interest but it happened nonetheless) and came across this show. So I started watching, and during my time watching I may have skipped a few episodes accidentally or stopped watching for a lengthy time and picked it back up weeks later (I wouldn't remember where I left off, hence why I skipped a few episodes). Eventually I dropped it all together.

So while I say that I don't like the show, it's my own fault for ruining it for myself. I remember a lot of what I saw story wise. The reason I never picked it back up was because I'm not the type of person to re watch 40 episodes of stuff I remember.

I'm actually in the process of watching it now but it's a slow go because like I said, I just don't like to pick up a show that I dropped.

Another example would be fairy tail. I was watching it and one day (forgot why) I stopped. I couldn't remember where I left off so I didn't pick it back up. It's not the fact that I thought is was bad, I just can't be bothered to be honest.

You know "it's better to build a new chair rather than repair the old one"

I don't really understand all of what you said, but usually if I stop watching a show and then don't feel like picking it back up again, I consider the show bad because it couldn't hold my interest.
It's not that it didn't hold my interest. It's that I didn't used to watch a lot of T.V. I dont understand how you don't understand. It seems like you got it to me
Jul 1, 2017 4:07 PM

Aug 2010
Why would they make masterpieces when dumb things brings more money to the studio ~~
Jul 1, 2017 4:13 PM

Dec 2016
Kuraokani said:
It's not that it didn't hold my interest. It's that I didn't used to watch a lot of T.V. I dont understand how you don't understand. It seems like you got it to me

You can't say that you didn't like the show, in that case. I know you already said that it's your own fault, but if you acknowledge that, then you can't really say that you didn't like FMA.

What's the difference?
Jul 1, 2017 4:15 PM

Jan 2014
Naruto finished airing and unless Boruto surpasses it then I don't see it happening anytime soon.

Closest thing we got next is Boku no Hero Academia tho.

Jul 1, 2017 4:30 PM
Jun 2017
Itachi said:
Naruto finished airing and unless Boruto surpasses it then I don't see it happening anytime soon.

Yeah boku no is up there but I think it's to simple sometimes
Jul 1, 2017 4:32 PM
Jun 2017
pgmhecateii said:
Why, hello again, OP!

I would say till the next season of Gintama comes out (I read somewhere it would be the last one).

*sob* *sob*

And right now I'm watching Naruto and it doesn't seem to be as much of a masterpiece as everyone says. I've also noticed how sequels about the MC's kid are never more popular/higher ranked than the original show.
Yeah I dropped shipudden cause of all the filler and the fights that last 6 episodes. So I understand when you say that
Jul 1, 2017 5:15 PM

Jan 2014
Kuraokani said:
Itachi said:

Oh I know but what it does it is executed pretty will and it is still pretty early on so it has potential to be really great imo.

Jul 1, 2017 5:49 PM
Jun 2017
Itachi said:
Kuraokani said:
Oh I know but what it does it is executed pretty will and it is still pretty early on so it has potential to be really great imo.
Yeah not gonna lie man. That show had me in my feels. All nights message to Midoriya about UA had me in tears. Manly-man tears that is
Jul 1, 2017 6:23 PM
Jul 2018
Unpopular opinion: FMA:B ist slightly overrated to me. I like it very much, but's not really better than other Shounen. Some people started to hype it that much and then other followed.

Topic: I'm really curious about Violet Evergarden for example. Maybe I expect too much and it will just be eye candy, I dunno.
Jul 1, 2017 6:47 PM

Aug 2016
arcticdrop712 said:
Well it's been 6 years since we've seen anything as widely acclaimed as FMAB, S;G, or HxH - and these shows all began airing within 2 years of each other (CRAZY) so we might be past the period where shows of that quality are made. You're best bet is probably movies - stuff like Your Name and Koe no Katachi (haven't seen either but they seem to be doing really well)

I didnt even realize its been that long since steins gate.... where did anime go wrong smh
Jul 1, 2017 7:07 PM
Feb 2016
July 23rd 2021

This joke is funny if you're a time traveller.
Jul 1, 2017 8:32 PM

Apr 2016
I think Hunter X Hunter just gets as much praise as FMA:B and as few haters.
Your Name is still new so who knows.
Jul 1, 2017 8:40 PM
Dec 2015
As soon as Tokyo Ghoul is rebooted then it will become a masterpiece.
Jul 2, 2017 1:20 AM
Nov 2016
Blitzcreed said:

Tokyo Ghoul and masterpiece should never be in the same sentence.

Jul 2, 2017 3:08 AM

Jun 2016
Kuraokani said:
I started thinking this question after watching Death Note, FMA:B, and Your name.
First off, when I ask this question, I'm not implying that there isn't anime out there already that's equal to/exceeds these shows.

When you look at the score of these anime, you'll see that they are considered near masterpieces by almost everyone that watches them. It doesn't matter if your a seasoned anime consumer or someone that's completely new to the community. These shows are regarded as the best.

Just look at FMA:B. It's got a 9.25. So I'm that aspect, the anime that takes its place as the best would have TO BE a masterpiece. Personally I don't think that will happen. I doubt that a anime series, no matter how good, will ever surpass these shows.

I myself didn't even really like FMA. But with that said, I could not deny that it's near perfect in all categories. Sound, animation, story, characters, every category is great.

So my question to you guys is, Will these titans ever be surpassed? Remember, the only thing to ever surpass a titan, is a god.

Edit: I'm only using MALs rating for these shows as a example. Feel free to check any other anime rating/review site to confirm that said anime are regarded as the best. Keep in mind that I don't care what one region says us the best. I only pay attention to anime rating sites that critics/consumers from all around the world have access to.

These 3 anime (the majority of the time) are regarded as the best of the best (on the majority of sites)

Thing is, all 3 of them have some flaws. There is no masterpiece.

"Your name" isn't even close to being masterpiece. It's overrated because it's a movie: People watched it in cinema, never seeing anime before. They liked it, made MAL acc and dropped 10/10. Plus it's tearjerker, majority of people who watched it are emotionally weak, so they must've been influenced by "de feelz" when giving rating. I personally think it's average movie, art is good, but story and characters are lame, predictable and weak.

Now about Death Note. First half of Death Note is nearly flawless. Music is great, characters are one of best I've ever seen in anime, story and concept is unique and very interesting. But second half was forced and weaker, as well as predictable. I still liked ending, but it had several flaws as already mentioned, so I can't call it a masterpiece.

Then we have FMA Brotherhood. This anime has very good setting and soundtrack, but plot has some flaws, plus ending was kind of cliche. Some characters are good, but some are average. Some scenes are forced and you can sense plot armor. It's still good and I liked it for what it is, but it's not a masterpiece.

So basically, masterpieces don't exist. At least not yet.
Jul 2, 2017 3:32 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Well, all we can do is be patient and wait for one...
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Jul 2, 2017 4:05 AM

Apr 2017
Zephaas said:
Blitzcreed said:

Tokyo Ghoul and masterpiece should never be in the same sentence.

Tokyo Ghoul is not that bad its unique even

"Life and death have been in love,
For longer than we have words to describe,
Life sends countless gifts to death,
And death keeps them forever."

Jul 2, 2017 4:20 AM
Aug 2014
You can place your bets on what the modern masterpieces are, but we won't know for another 50 years anyway.
Jul 2, 2017 4:33 AM

Dec 2012
Kuraokani said:
PoeticJustice said:
when the next season of gintama comes out it will be number 1
You think? It's a great contender but I doubt it

Just wait for it, it will be the best season ever
"Only one with the courage
to shoulder the burden
of their own fate can
be called a hero.."

Jul 2, 2017 4:41 AM

May 2015
Deus said:
Kuraokani said:
I started thinking this question after watching Death Note, FMA:B, and Your name.
First off, when I ask this question, I'm not implying that there isn't anime out there already that's equal to/exceeds these shows.

When you look at the score of these anime, you'll see that they are considered near masterpieces by almost everyone that watches them. It doesn't matter if your a seasoned anime consumer or someone that's completely new to the community. These shows are regarded as the best.

Just look at FMA:B. It's got a 9.25. So I'm that aspect, the anime that takes its place as the best would have TO BE a masterpiece. Personally I don't think that will happen. I doubt that a anime series, no matter how good, will ever surpass these shows.

I myself didn't even really like FMA. But with that said, I could not deny that it's near perfect in all categories. Sound, animation, story, characters, every category is great.

So my question to you guys is, Will these titans ever be surpassed? Remember, the only thing to ever surpass a titan, is a god.

Edit: I'm only using MALs rating for these shows as a example. Feel free to check any other anime rating/review site to confirm that said anime are regarded as the best. Keep in mind that I don't care what one region says us the best. I only pay attention to anime rating sites that critics/consumers from all around the world have access to.

These 3 anime (the majority of the time) are regarded as the best of the best (on the majority of sites)

"Your name" isn't even close to being masterpiece. It's overrated because it's a movie: People watched it in cinema, never seeing anime before. They liked it, made MAL acc and dropped 10/10. Plus it's tearjerker, majority of people who watched it are emotionally weak, so they must've been influenced by "de feelz" when giving rating. I personally think it's average movie, art is good, but story and characters are lame, predictable and weak.

Now about Death Note. First half of Death Note is nearly flawless. Music is great, characters are one of best I've ever seen in anime, story and concept is unique and very interesting. But second half was forced and weaker, as well as predictable. I still liked ending, but it had several flaws as already mentioned, so I can't call it a masterpiece.

Then we have FMA Brotherhood. This anime has very good setting and soundtrack, but plot has some flaws, plus ending was kind of cliche. Some characters are good, but some are average. Some scenes are forced and you can sense plot armor. It's still good and I liked it for what it is, but it's not a masterpiece.

Even the first half of Death Note isn't brilliant. It was pretending to explore morality when it was just an elaborate chess game. I had fun with it and it's told well, but nothing too special.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Jul 2, 2017 5:11 AM
Jan 2017
-POST HAS BEEN MANUALLY REMOVED BY USER-
MeguminDarknessJul 4, 2019 7:17 PM
Jul 2, 2017 6:25 AM

Apr 2015
but we already have eromanga sensei.
Jul 2, 2017 6:30 AM

Nov 2013
we already have one this season, #kakegurui
favorite "new girls" from summer <3 ... click sig for older seasons and more possible picks (rip all the other choices)
Jul 2, 2017 6:46 AM

Jul 2015
Kuraokani said:
Clebardman said:

You're implying the quality of things like character development or pacing can be objectively measured.
It can me measured in a sense. What you just said makes no sense to me

No it can't? I'm a huge fan of slow expositions (up to 1/3rd of the story). The majority (used to Michael Bay's horrendous movies) would whine that it's a shitty boring pacing, but it's a valid one than can bring a lot to a show (John Carpenter was the master of this and his influence is enormous today)

"Best animu" and other cringe tops are a purely meta thing and are 90% influenced by themselves/other lists and not the actual quality of the shows they list. Anyone who's used to metas and how they work knows this. Ever played LoL?
Jul 2, 2017 7:03 AM

May 2016
Are you trying to imply that Isekai wa Smartphone to Tomo ni WON'T be the life-defining event of a generation, OP?

This glorious signature image was created by @Mayumi!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Anime was always influenced by the West. This is not news.
Shoujo is the superior genre primarily aimed at young people.
Harem/isekai are lazy genres that refuse any meaningful innovation.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There will always be top-shelf anime.
You should be watching Carole & Tuesday."
Jul 2, 2017 7:32 AM

Oct 2016
Not until Steins;Gate 0 or a Clannad reboot
Jul 2, 2017 7:55 AM

Mar 2012
Given that 3/10 of the top 10 came out in 2016, I think it's safe to guess that we'll get more top 10 shows.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Jul 2, 2017 9:47 AM

Dec 2016
when ecchi and harems become extinct
Jul 2, 2017 9:54 AM
Oct 2016
Not until the promised neverland gets an anime adaptation
Jul 2, 2017 10:00 AM

Feb 2010
Last Season had Uchouten Kazoku S2 and Fall will have 3-gatsu S2
I probably regret this post by now.
Jul 2, 2017 10:07 AM

Mar 2012
Kuraokani said:

has mainstream appeal ever been an indication of lasting quality? asking for a friend
Mayuka said:

did you call

holier than thou bitch right here

last.fm

Jul 2, 2017 10:15 AM

Mar 2008
when Sword Art Online season 3 comes out
Jul 2, 2017 10:32 AM
Jul 2018
bokami said:
when Sword Art Online season 3 comes out

I was about to say the say thing right now lol.

Sword Art Online has "Art" in its title so it must be art.
Jul 2, 2017 11:31 AM

Sep 2016
The new LOGH probably can rise with that title, but I have my skeptic with this, hopefully be really good.
Jul 2, 2017 11:37 AM

Jun 2016
TheBrainintheJar said:
Deus said:

Even the first half of Death Note isn't brilliant. It was pretending to explore morality when it was just an elaborate chess game. I had fun with it and it's told well, but nothing too special.
Didn't really expect morality exploration from it. I also enjoyed cat and mouse game, that's why it's one of my favorites. That type of series is rare.
Jul 2, 2017 12:10 PM

May 2017
Any anime without a tsundere is bound to be a masterpiece
Jul 2, 2017 12:28 PM

Feb 2016
PoeticJustice said:
when the next season of gintama comes out it will be number 1

I dont think so tbh
the last one didnt score above the earlier ones already. I think people prefer the comedic side of Gintama overall and the sequel effect doesnt add much when the haters dont forget to give dem 1s either.
Aquamirror said:
> Masterpiece
> "Kimi no Trash wa"

I felt a great rustling in the jimmies.

Soon, my fellows, very soon..
https://myanimelist.net/anime/35716/Inferno_Cop_2nd_Season

qft

OT: Most people probably consider Rakugo to be the modern and most recent 'masterpiece'

Oshii is probably the only director that loves dogs. He thinks he's a dog himself.

That's right, its slime! It will dissolve your clothing slowly before my eyes!

Jul 2, 2017 1:05 PM

Jun 2017
Deus said:

Totally Agree. People rate with 9 or 10 to anything, as if the end of the world is coming. There is no recent masterpiece, at least for the time being.
For me the most closest masterpiece would be Cowboy Bebop, with a really cool characters, finest animation, amazing soundtrack and a deeper plot (in terms of tv series).
Jul 2, 2017 3:29 PM

Jul 2015
Masterpiece is relative anyways, looking at the top 100 of MAL I can see a good number of series that people generally loves (and that's what they are there) but I found absolutely meh or just alright.

I would rather have a new anime that becomes a favorite of mine instead.
Jul 2, 2017 6:42 PM

Apr 2017
I consider Gantz a masterpiece! in the thrill genre. I wish they could have continued the TV series like the manga.

Connecting anime and manga fans http://www.anime-fall.com
Press Release https://goo.gl/pHJBPV
Jul 2, 2017 7:11 PM
Feb 2014
Most likely never with that attitude.
Jul 2, 2017 7:23 PM
Jun 2015
My definition of a Masterpiece is something that it is so honest, human and well executed that it is timeless. And since anything new can only be judged by us in the time when it was made, we cannot judge what is a masterpiece. Only future generations, each one concurring with the last that such a piece is just as relevant to them as it was to us distant generations.

I would like to think something like Berserk (TV), Planetes and Escaflowne (TV) will be considered Masterpieces, but only time will tell.
Jul 2, 2017 7:30 PM
Jun 2017
MeteorBear said:
My definition of a Masterpiece is something that it is so honest, human and well executed that it is timeless. And since anything new can only be judged by us in the time when it was made, we cannot judge what is a masterpiece. Only future generations, each one concurring with the last that such a piece is just as relevant to them as it was to us distant generations.

I would like to think something like Berserk (TV), Planetes and Escaflowne (TV) will be considered Masterpieces, but only time will tell.
I like that. So what your saying is that a masterpiece is only considered a masterpiece when its maker has died? Like, an individuals version?
Jul 2, 2017 7:56 PM
Jun 2015
Kuraokani said:
MeteorBear said:

I like that. So what your saying is that a masterpiece is only considered a masterpiece when its maker has died? Like, an individuals version?

Yeah I guess the maker would have to be dead. Of course people throughout history are quick to claim this or that a masterpiece for all sorts of reasons and at the time it might be widely excepted, but I think few of these are confirmed by later generations.
Jul 2, 2017 8:07 PM
May 2017
When a sequel to boku no pico comes out, we will all be saved, my friend :)

Jul 2, 2017 8:08 PM
May 2017
@itachi there is no way anybody could consider naruto as a masterpiece

Jul 2, 2017 8:23 PM

Jan 2014
2HandsRevy said:
@itachi there is no way anybody could consider naruto as a masterpiece
I consider it to be a masterpiece. Is there a problem with that fam?

Jul 2, 2017 8:34 PM

Feb 2015
given the rather "generous" nature of the average mal user in their grading , soon.
Jul 2, 2017 8:42 PM
Jun 2017
2HandsRevy said:
When a sequel to boku no pico comes out, we will all be saved, my friend :)
😂😂😂 I didn't know what that was till I looked it up. I'm dead
Pages (7) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » is there less demand for ecchi, hentai, sexual fanservice this days?

deg - 4 hours ago

17 by rohan121 »»
4 minutes ago

» What anime would be better if it killed off its main character in order for the secondary main character to shine?

Catalano - 2 hours ago

10 by ALEXxAMI »»
12 minutes ago

» Why does MAL still use Romaji for Anime Titles When not even the japanese do??? ( 1 2 3 )

Cestlavie_ - Yesterday

127 by RainyEvenings »»
22 minutes ago

» "Its better than those Trash Isekai Shows"

BerriesSan - Sep 26

17 by LittleOwlbear »»
27 minutes ago

» 🎖️Best Protagonist of all time & discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

nirererin - Aug 16

725 by internetguy214 »»
38 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.