Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 22, 2017 8:21 AM

Feb 2013

Wow I forgot they were actually doing this, don't know how to feel about this one yet, don't really see what a real life adaptation could improve upon what the manga/anime already did

get ready for "white-washed, omg no asians" salt comments
ChampMar 22, 2017 8:26 AM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 22, 2017 8:25 AM

Apr 2013
I can actually see people who don't know the anime or manga liking it.
Mar 22, 2017 8:26 AM

Jun 2008
I don't know, judging from the trailer it looks OK, no reason to expect it to be a masterpiece. Probably gonna watch this even if it's bad just because I love Death Note.
Mar 22, 2017 8:28 AM

Feb 2013
It looks really bad.
That guy doesn't resemble Light at all, and wtf was that scene with those cheerleaders?
They will "americanize" something that shouldn't, I won't waste my time with it.
Mar 22, 2017 8:30 AM

Jun 2008
Ulquiorra said:
It looks really bad.
That guy doesn't resemble Light at all, and wtf was that scene with those cheerleaders?
They will "americanize" something that shouldn't, I won't waste my time with it.

This is American adaptation so why wouldn't they "americanize" it? It wouldn't work in any other way. Also why must the live action characters look exactly like in the anime?
Mar 22, 2017 8:33 AM

Apr 2016
Black L is enough reason not to watch it.
Mar 22, 2017 8:35 AM

Feb 2013
Dizzee said:
Ulquiorra said:
It looks really bad.

This is American adaptation so why wouldn't they "americanize" it? It wouldn't work in any other way. Also why must the live action characters look exactly like in the anime?

They should at least find some actor with some resemblance, that guy only has the same hair color as Yagami, and not even that is perfectly done..
And lol, I just noticed, L is black???
Lol, they might as well make Ryuk a succubus to complete the scene.
Mar 22, 2017 8:37 AM

Jun 2008
Swagernator said:

Not a problem to me as long as he delivers a decent performance, my hopes aren't high though but you can't judge a book by it's cover :D.
Mar 22, 2017 8:43 AM

Apr 2013
Ulquiorra said:
Lol, they might as well make Ryuk a succubus to complete the scene.

That would actually give me a reason to watch it :o
Mar 22, 2017 8:53 AM

Mar 2017
I'll probably end up watching it, since I have a netflix subscription, but it just doesn't look very.. interesting so far? I really don't know how much they can explore the concept within just one movie.
Mar 22, 2017 8:57 AM
Feb 2016
Wait, this was Death Note?

Mar 22, 2017 10:10 AM

Mar 2009
Fuck that shit.
Not even worth pirating.
Signature? I ain't got no signature! I don't need no signature! I don't have to show you any stinkin' signature!
Mar 22, 2017 11:13 AM

Jul 2007
This looks awesome and has that Netflix polish. Quite good actor choices too.

Will watch for sure.

Swagernator said:

You should try to seek out a job at whitehouse.gov. I hear that kind of attitude is very welcome with current fuhrerPresident :)

Ulquiorra said:

They should at least find some actor with some resemblance, that guy only has the same hair color as Yagami, and not even that is perfectly done..

He looks like a traditional sociopathic prettyboy highschool shooter. which is exactly what Light is. What's the problem? He might not be a bishie but he fits the character stereotype Light is.

And? How is that "bad"? Keith Stanfield is extremely talented actor.
AhenshihaelMar 22, 2017 11:23 AM
Mar 22, 2017 11:59 AM

Nov 2013
Good that i never liked that average Anime and can skip this without worrying.
Poor fans of DN though, this looks like really lame.
NishiouMar 22, 2017 1:09 PM
Mar 22, 2017 12:08 PM

Jan 2016
wow! that is some hollyshit Level Adaption i must say
Mar 22, 2017 12:16 PM

Jul 2015
Fai said:

yea the actors might be good and stuff but this movie has nothing to do with Death Note.
wtf is that ferris wheel scene ? and that kiss ? is that supposed to be a action romance ?
and why the fuck is L showing himself to the media ? how dumb can the producer be ?

that person has nothing to do with the original L. so out of his character.

Galaxy__Mar 22, 2017 12:23 PM
Chimera-Ant Arc sucks
A1-Pictures is great
Lelouch is alive
Mar 22, 2017 12:28 PM

Jan 2015
This is gonna be better than the anime.

Why would you cast someone who looks like L in Americanized adaptation of Death Note? He would look like an emo/goth kids thinking about shooting up his school.

Mar 22, 2017 12:35 PM

Feb 2013
Fai said:

Will watch for sure.

Swagernator said:

You should try to seek out a job at whitehouse.gov. I hear that kind of attitude is very welcome with current fuhrerPresident :)

Ulquiorra said:

He looks like a traditional sociopathic prettyboy highschool shooter. which is exactly what Light is. What's the problem? He might not be a bishie but he fits the character stereotype Light is.

And? How is that "bad"? Keith Stanfield is extremely talented actor.

It doesn't matter if the actor is "talented", they made L black, wtf, if they want to make a decent movie at least don't change everything.
Mar 22, 2017 12:57 PM

Nov 2012
The trailer actually made it seem like the movie will have hope, I'm hoping it doesn't disappoint.
Mar 22, 2017 1:03 PM

Jul 2007
Galaxy__ said:

yea the actors might be good and stuff but this movie has nothing to do with Death Note.
wtf is that ferris wheel scene ? and that kiss ? is that supposed to be a action romance ?
and why the fuck is L showing himself to the media ? how dumb can the producer be ?

Death Note had romance in a way. That's how Light manipulated Misa after all.

Its an adaptation. A movie. Things are bound to be different(just like the JP Live action adaptation was different).

Don't expect it to just directly lift entire manga story into it. The key elements are the same(Light finds a death note, Light unleashes his sociopath tendencies to murder criminals, L comes with intent of catching him, Light manipulates Misa into working for him and builds up a cult, etc), the ending is
. But that does not mean that they are lifting everything from the manga into the movie.

Ulquiorra said:
they made L black,

And again, so what?
wtf, if they want to make a decent movie at least don't change everything.

Except that no adaptation is a copy-pasta of source material. Its a different medium.
Mar 22, 2017 1:06 PM

Jan 2015
Looks terrible as expected. They would have been better off just keeping the concept of "Death Note" and writing a complete original story around it, with new characters and all...
Oh yeah, that would require actuel effort, my bad. Don't even need that to entertain your average american.
Mar 22, 2017 1:09 PM

Feb 2013
Fai said:
Galaxy__ said:

Its an adaptation. A movie. Things are bound to be different(just like the JP Live action adaptation was different).

Don't expect it to just directly lift entire manga story into it. The key elements are the same(Light finds a death note, Light unleashes his sociopath tendencies to murder criminals, L comes with intent of catching him, Light manipulates Misa into working for him and builds up a cult, etc), the ending is
. But that does not mean that they are lifting everything from the manga into the movie.

Ulquiorra said:
they made L black,

And again, so what?

Except that no adaptation is a copy-pasta of source material. Its a different medium.

The movie is based on the manga/anime.
The least they could do is get actors with some resemblance with the ones from the anime or manga.
Why not make L a woman instead, it's the same thing.
Mar 22, 2017 1:11 PM

Mar 2015
The casting is hella bad lmfao. They're gonna ruin this.

yeehaw
Mar 22, 2017 1:12 PM

Jan 2016
Fai said:
Galaxy__ said:

Ulquiorra said:
they made L black,

And again, so what?

this Comes from fai, who bitches at ufotable ruining fsn ubw and says fuck adaptions!!!!! ?
wut the fuck? is netlix dick riding this worse already?
Mar 22, 2017 1:30 PM

Jul 2015
Fai said:
Galaxy__ said:

L should still be in character. he is one of the 2 most important characters in the story and a genius. in the film he just acts like an idiot and completely unlike L.
Chimera-Ant Arc sucks
A1-Pictures is great
Lelouch is alive
Mar 22, 2017 4:07 PM

Feb 2013
Looks hilarious, dumb, and awesome. The dude from Atlanta/Get Out as L, fucking Willem Dafoe as Ryuk, A+.
Mar 22, 2017 4:21 PM

Dec 2015
I can't quite make my mind up about it.

It could be okay but it could be total shit.

We'll see.

Mar 22, 2017 4:49 PM
Nov 2013
I'm not racist or anything, but how are they gonna make L a black guy? The trailer looks like something you would see on Nickelodeon so you know the creators aren't taking it seriously and are just trying to make a low-budget, mediocre cash-grab to appeal to teens. I'm almost positive this movie will become a meme.
Mar 22, 2017 4:51 PM

Aug 2014
Have to say, Willem Dafoe is perfect as Ryuk. Don't even need makeup or CG, just a costume.
Sieg Zeon!
Mar 22, 2017 5:00 PM

Mar 2016
L is black wtf?
I´m done hahahahaha

If you watched 13 Reasons Why in 13 hours in a row (like me) you got my respect !
Mar 22, 2017 5:05 PM
Nov 2013
QuattroVaginas said:
Have to say, Willem Dafoe is perfect as Ryuk. Don't even need makeup or CG, just a costume.

Probably the only reason to watch lol.

Mar 22, 2017 5:11 PM

May 2015
How can you make L black? L's character design is huge to who he is, he won't be the same without the pale skin and dark eye bags. I'm guessing they'll completely turn him inside out. Trailer looks pathetic. At least they got Ryuk right.
Mar 22, 2017 5:13 PM

May 2013
Looks like it could be good. Dafoe as Ryuk looks dope.
Mar 22, 2017 5:31 PM

Sep 2007
LEL
this is going to be a meme movie, but a cool meme movie.
Mar 22, 2017 5:41 PM

Jun 2016
What the fuck are they doing on a ferris wheel?

Looks like total trash, but I'll probably watch it anyway.
The football field isn't the only place where you could use a good line.
Mar 22, 2017 5:44 PM

Aug 2014
Black L will eat chicken instead of ice cream and sweets.
Black L will steal the Death Note.
Black L will die first.
Mar 22, 2017 5:56 PM

Jan 2013
The cheerleader is Misa without a doubt. I don't like it.

The police chase and ferris wheel bit look garbo.

L showing himself to the public is absolutely retarded.

I guess the meme that western adaptations of anime suck will continue.
Mar 22, 2017 5:57 PM

Feb 2016
Well, that looks like another disgrace to the anime adaption just like with the upcoming Ghost in the Shell movie.
Mar 22, 2017 6:00 PM

Sep 2007
YEROCKY said:
Black L will eat chicken instead of ice cream and sweets.
Black L will steal the Death Note.
Black L will die first.

I admit I laughed IRL gg
Mar 22, 2017 6:09 PM

Jan 2013
Also, American Light with the greasy hair, shitty highlights and awkward look absolutely goes against why the OG Light was good. OG Light looked like a perfect clean-cut, well-groomed high school kid with a bright future and strong morals. It's what throws everybody off, helps him in his ability to manipulate others, and makes the duality between his normal life and serial killer life all the more interesting.

American Light looks like he could shoot up a school at any moment no matter what context.

Fucking hell, American L looks more groomed than this greasy ass twinkboi.
Fai said:
Except you're wrong. Not looking like a sociopathic highschool shooter was the whole point of Light's design in Death Note. Jesus christ.
PeenusWeenusCaimMar 22, 2017 6:57 PM
Mar 22, 2017 6:41 PM

Sep 2012
Light is supposed to be fucking gorgeous, unassuming, charismatic, valedictorian pretty-boy perfection. Not a greasy unkempt hair socially detached bullied looking outcast.
Mar 22, 2017 7:45 PM

Apr 2011
There were bits in the trailer that already showed me that this is no "adaption" of Death Note. They're just slipping those names to cash in on the idiots who're gonna give them money because the title says Death Note. Naruto's next, huh? Just stop already, Hollywood.
Mar 22, 2017 11:35 PM

Jun 2015
Goddamn, people sure do like to complain. I'm sure even if this adaptation was 100% faithful, people would still find something to complain about. It's a Western adaptation, that's based on Death Note, of course it's not going to be identical.
I actually welcome them adding their own spin to an already great series, and if that means changing some of the minor details to make it fit its setting, then so be it.

I only hope this leads the way to more Western adaptations of great manga, and if it ends up being a flop, oh, well, at least they tried something different.
"Hurry up with my damn croissants."
Mar 22, 2017 11:45 PM

Jan 2015
TheLonelyCynic said:
Goddamn, people sure do like to complain. I'm sure even if this adaptation was 100% faithful, people would still find something to complain about. It's a Western adaptation, that's based on Death Note, of course it's not going to be identical.
I actually welcome them adding their own spin to an already great series, and if that means changing some of the minor details to make it fit its setting, then so be it.

I only hope this leads the way to more Western adaptations of great manga, and if it ends up being a flop, oh, well, at least they tried something different.
I will damn surprise if this thread is not reach 4-5 pages of complaining

la critique de l'intention pure
Mar 23, 2017 1:45 AM

Feb 2017
I am disappointed to say the least. Judging by this trailer, they're taking a brilliantly-delivered story brimming with symbolism that centers around an intellectual battle between two geniuses and turning it into a cheap action/drama flick. Although I can't say I'm surprised; after all, it's Netflix.

The only silver lining I can see here is that it could potentially lead to non-anime fans watching the Death Note anime and maybe broadening their horizons.

"ᴀɴᴅ ᴛʜᴏsᴇ ᴡʜᴏ ᴡᴇʀᴇ sᴇᴇɴ ᴅᴀɴᴄɪɴɢ ᴡᴇʀᴇ ᴛʜᴏᴜɢʜᴛ ᴛᴏ ʙᴇ ɪɴsᴀɴᴇ ʙʏ ᴛʜᴏsᴇ ᴡʜᴏ ᴄᴏᴜʟᴅ ɴᴏᴛ ʜᴇᴀʀ ᴛʜᴇ ᴍᴜsɪᴄ."

Mar 23, 2017 1:49 AM

Feb 2017
PeenusWeenusCaim said:
Also, American Light with the greasy hair, shitty highlights and awkward look absolutely goes against why the OG Light was good. OG Light looked like a perfect clean-cut, well-groomed high school kid with a bright future and strong morals. It's what throws everybody off, helps him in his ability to manipulate others, and makes the duality between his normal life and serial killer life all the more interesting.

American Light looks like he could shoot up a school at any moment no matter what context.

Fucking hell, American L looks more groomed than this greasy ass twinkboi.
Fai said:
Except you're wrong. Not looking like a sociopathic highschool shooter was the whole point of Light's design in Death Note. Jesus christ.

I agree. Also, your wording makes me laugh, lolol.

"ᴀɴᴅ ᴛʜᴏsᴇ ᴡʜᴏ ᴡᴇʀᴇ sᴇᴇɴ ᴅᴀɴᴄɪɴɢ ᴡᴇʀᴇ ᴛʜᴏᴜɢʜᴛ ᴛᴏ ʙᴇ ɪɴsᴀɴᴇ ʙʏ ᴛʜᴏsᴇ ᴡʜᴏ ᴄᴏᴜʟᴅ ɴᴏᴛ ʜᴇᴀʀ ᴛʜᴇ ᴍᴜsɪᴄ."

Mar 23, 2017 1:52 AM

Dec 2009
the problem will be with the theming and message the new version will try to tell. The message of the original story is that ideas such as divine command theory and applying concepts of sin to secular justice systems does not work. Heck, it's not even about corruption of power. Light takes his take on ethics through its due course, and it simply fails to create what people can agreeably call justice.

So undoubtedly, An american team will transform the show's conflict of ethics into a modern and very shallow MacBeth. A grim fate for such a great franchise.
There is absolutely no reason why I should accept "turn your brain off" as a valid excuse to defend a poor show.

~

blatant ad: https://myanimelist.net/blog/Crusader_8 I spend the time to write it, so please read it lol
Mar 23, 2017 12:26 PM

Mar 2015
Not a huge fan when it comes to their choice for L.

Willem Dafoe as Ryuk is perfect though, and I might watch it just to see that play out.
Mar 29, 2017 11:04 AM

Jul 2014
Looks pretty cringeworthy tbh
Mar 29, 2017 3:07 PM

Jul 2013
I'll check it out. Seems okay, and the actors are good. SUpposedly they are making their changes, so I would say wait before making a veredict on Light not looking like you think he should.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Currently listening to ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsukareru - Mar 29, 2021

7950 by Daconator »»
36 minutes ago

» Post songs that you are addicted to right now ( 1 2 3 )

tsukareru - Apr 26

117 by tinshard »»
2 hours ago

» YOUTUBE IS PUTTING ADS IN THE ACTUAL VIDEOS YOU WILL WATCH

vasipi4946 - Jun 15

21 by deg »»
3 hours ago

» Post songs that you like but don't want anyone else to know you like them

tsukareru - May 18

17 by ryan77999 »»
3 hours ago

» What was the last song you listened to? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Death - Oct 1, 2020

3552 by dreamingneon »»
5 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.