Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (16) « First ... « 11 12 [13] 14 15 » ... Last »
Nov 12, 2016 1:02 PM

Jan 2014
nah your taste is alright i mean... youve watched rainbow after all. mainstreams are more like the usual anime starter pack but no doubt loved shows.
Sonic X is basically an isekai
Nov 12, 2016 1:10 PM

Apr 2014
Hello Kageyama-chan,

THERE'S NOTHING WRONG about liking mainstream anime. Honestly, like whatever you want.
Elitists who bring up the argument of "shit taste" and that you should watch better animes are most of the time ppl that do nothing of their life and can only find pride in their "good taste in animes". Dear, some people take animes too seriously. While it can be a quality entertainement, it still remains an entertainement...

Besides, I know awesome people who watch mainstream animes. I have a friend who's a complete boss at philosophy who watches mainstream stuff, and I know two genius at maths who read what could considered "shit mangas". They just don't give a shit.
Nov 12, 2016 1:16 PM

Nov 2016
Sounds like words from some annoying "anime purist." They're honestly the worst type of anime fans.
Nov 12, 2016 1:51 PM

Jul 2012
I mean chances are the section of shows they consider good are just mainstream to a different audience. It's not so much watching mainstream is bad it's just you have to watch the right kind of mainstream if you're intending to pander to a group of people and impress them with your taste.
So a proper course of action would be to watch the shows they recommend and then blatantly criticize them the entire time if you aren't a fan just to watch the salt. Or ignore them and just enjoy the shows you want to watch like everybody else.
Nov 12, 2016 1:54 PM
Aug 2014
Absolutely not. Even though I'm more of an anime nostalgist, I don't care if people enjoy mainstream anime. But whenever they force it down my neck and get salty whenever I say I don't like their favorites, then that's a different story. ._.
Nov 12, 2016 1:55 PM

May 2015
what does the quality matter? as long as you like it, you should watch it.
and opinions can never be "wrong" at most they are poorly-grounded/substantiated (can't find the right word but you know what i mean) or even complete and utterly trash but it can never be wrong

if your goal is get proficient in literature/art you might want to get more picky with what you watch, but than anime is probably not the most useful topic as it isn't as widely accepted by the work (just like series/movies in general btw). you would be better of reading some pretentious book or something

oh and if you are a hipster of course, than mainstream anime is a big nono. but anime as a whole is getting more popular so you should't be here, gtfo :P
pandabladeNov 12, 2016 2:01 PM

Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Nov 12, 2016 2:26 PM

Nov 2014
Most people like mainstream anime, that's why it's mainstream. The top 20 most popular shows on this website all have a score above 7.5.
Nov 12, 2016 2:27 PM

Oct 2014
"Be kind to one another"
As long as you don't break that rule you're doing nothing wrong. The very reason why mainstream anime are mainstream is because they appeal to a wide audience. If you consider yourself to be an anime fan and only watch mainstream anime then I would say you're not putting much effort into discovering new anime, but there isn't any problem with your taste fitting with the general public's. Determine what the mainstream anime you like have in common and look at what other anime share those aspects. There are a lot of great anime out there, mainstream anime included.
Nov 12, 2016 2:48 PM

Aug 2014
It's called an "opinion", anyone who thinks you are wrong for thinking X is good is an idiot and you shouldn't bother talking to them.
Nov 12, 2016 2:54 PM

Sep 2013
It's the popular hating bandwagon.
You can't be cool without hating what's popular.
Nov 12, 2016 2:55 PM

Sep 2015
Why would it be wrong to like mainstream anime? For those who are either new to the medium, or take a more casual approach and only watch the most popular anime, it makes a lot of sense as to why they would tend to like them. Many of them tend to have one specific angle that makes them really stand out and potentially resonate with their viewers. Swort Art Online would be massively appealing to gamers; Angel Beats! would attract the emotional crowd; Elfen Lied and Deadman Wonderland attracts those who like their gore. Regardless of their quality and how they turned out, they all have these certain traits and angles which make them stick out to those who are scratching at the surface of anime.

If you're someone who doesn't delve too deep into analysing and critiquing anime, chances are you're not going to care as much about any apparent plot-holes, clichés, poor writing and the like. You get to enjoy the positives these anime bring without particularly caring about the negatives. Not to mention that not all mainstream anime are points of contention between fans - anime like Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood and Death Note tend to, from what I've seen, be far more accepted and liked than some of the others I've mentioned. For every 'bad' mainstream anime, there's another 'good' one.

But at the end of the day, you like what you like, and don't let anybody else tell you otherwise. I might personally feel that SAO and AB! had a ton of issues which stopped them from properly utilising their potential, but that doesn't mean you aren't allowed to enjoy them, and take more from them than what I was able to. It's fairly natural for those who haven't delved too far into the medium to stick to the popular, well-known stuff; you can't really be expected to dig around for lesser-known anime when you're still finding your feet and exploring multiple genres as your taste develops.

It also kinda makes sense to start with mainstream anime, because it's - as the name would imply - the type of anime that you're more likely to come across. If nobody talks about other anime then you'll have a harder time actually finding it in the first place. Not all of this is specifically relevant to you, though; I wouldn't quite say you yourself are a total newbie since you've got a few hundred completions. I guess you should just tell those people who criticise you to fuck off. It's none of their business what you like, and that they should learn the world doesn't revolve around them and their childish opinions.
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
Nov 12, 2016 3:02 PM

Oct 2013
QABJAB said:
There's nothing wrong with it, it's just that you can usually find something you'll like better if you explore.

Why watch hundreds of episodes week by week when there are thousands of options that could appeal to you more?

Not really, that is a 50% chance of that happening, and it can apply the other way as well. Look at my favorites there are all mostly mainstream, and I have watch a decent amount of anime as well, and I still haven't find anything that can top those, there is no difference between mainstream anime or niche anime, only difference is one has more appeal than the other.

Why are you generalizing mainstream anime as long running anime? Long running anime is basically dead anyways.
Nov 12, 2016 3:04 PM
Jul 2018
demonskul777 said:
Yes, it is wrong to like mainstream anime; if you like anything that is not niche and unknown, you are, by default, a pleb.

^ This. You don't want to be considered a pleb do you OP? So you better stay away from garbage mainstream animes... Or watch and then bash it :))

OT: Im pretty sure you know the answer, so i will assume you are just baiting.
Nov 12, 2016 3:11 PM

Feb 2016
romagia said:
I want to be a cool guy like Date Yutaka so i only watch (actually) mainstream anime like Sazae San

You want to insult my master Date Yukata but your grammar lvl is far too low. You need another 100 years of practice(and doing heroin or w/e that guy is taking) to be a worthy opponent.

OT: shit tier topic so Ill just say that 3-Gatsu is amazing and I will start Flip Flappers soon cause there were some great gifs

Oshii is probably the only director that loves dogs. He thinks he's a dog himself.

That's right, its slime! It will dissolve your clothing slowly before my eyes!

Nov 12, 2016 3:24 PM

Feb 2010
ofc no, you can watch what you like. its just some of us want to feel like special snowflakes and "hate" all mainstream.
Nov 12, 2016 3:25 PM

Feb 2015
Dishonest said:

OT: shit tier topic so Ill just say that 3-Gatsu is amazing and I will start Flip Flappers soon cause there were some great gifs

Yeah... the GIFs of Flip Flappers are quite great..

Arrrggg! I need to caught-up with the latest EP of 3-gatsu!!!
Nov 12, 2016 3:30 PM

Jun 2014
I've never met anybody who has seen over a certain amount of anime hate on mainstream anime. Sure,they probably exist but at least have not talked to me. Like I sometimes say, hating mainstream anime is something noobs who think they're hardcore fans would do and that's a trend I often pick up on.

Combining a teenager or young adult with a mindset of being a huge fan after twenty anime seen can earn some cringe. Or well, maybe I should stay off omegle.
Nov 12, 2016 3:41 PM

Aug 2015
Kageyama-chan said:
So what's wrong about liking mainstream anime? and is it wrong?

Yes, it definitely is, but since I'm a kind and powerful person, I am able to permit you to like mainstream anime series. Thus, since you now have my blessing, feel free to watch a lot of it, without feeling guilty of being a filthy casual.
Nov 12, 2016 4:39 PM

Oct 2016
There's nothing wrong with liking mainstream shows, they have big marketing presence behind them, and they will always exist as long as there's a £20 profit to be made. Once you flip it to shows that are challenging and are slower than a Nordic crime drama, you have something like Aku No Hana, which was 13 episodes of teenage boy guilt and voyeurism.
Nov 12, 2016 4:45 PM

Jun 2016
I watch anime on my own. so I care less about the others.

The world is cruel, ugly and pitiful. Let's watch anime and make it colorful
Nov 12, 2016 4:50 PM

Sep 2015
If it's not super obscure then a lot of elitists don't like mainstream. Nothing wrong with liking it.
Nov 12, 2016 6:27 PM

Aug 2014
Kageyama-chan said:

So what's wrong about liking mainstream anime? and is it wrong?

Nothing and no. Mainstream anime is fine. Its popular for a reason usually because most people generally enjoyed them, while also having a good story, interesting characters and entertained the people who watched it.

People who usually moan about people only watching mainstream anime tend to be people who think its over rated, or think that less popular anime deserve more praise and want people to watch those. I won't say that they are right or wrong, after all opinions differ, but I'll say this. Watch whatever you want, enjoy whatever you want and don't take notice of people who say otherwise.
Nov 12, 2016 6:48 PM
Jul 2013
why bother what others think if you like it dude
Nov 12, 2016 6:54 PM

Dec 2013
There's nothing wrong with it. Those people are just assholes
Nov 12, 2016 7:05 PM

Nov 2014
Mainstream anime are meant to appeal to as large an audience as possible. It isn't a surprise that most people like at least one of them. Just as long as you don't like/dislike an anime because it's mainstream, then it'll be fine.

But to only watch mainstream anime, and shut of recommendations because "not many people watch it", then that'll be someone I consider not discussing anime with.

Also, you don't have to like mainstream anime to have shit taste.
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Nov 12, 2016 7:06 PM

Aug 2016
In what way could it possibly be bad?

You will miss out on a lot of good shows if you only watch what is currently popular, but you will also miss out if you don't watch those shows at all. At the same time, though, there really isn't any value in saying that someone shouldn't like a piece of entertainment that they like.
Nov 12, 2016 7:08 PM
Jul 2014
Nothing wrong with liking main stream shows, they are popular for a reason. However, don't restrict yourself to just the mainstream shows because you'll probably miss out on a lot of anime you'd like. Some of my favorite anime have been obscure shows that pretty much no one talks about. Granted, many of these shows have been forgotten for good reason, but there are some hidden gems out there.
Nov 12, 2016 8:01 PM

Jun 2016
Kageyama-chan said:
When I talk about anime irl people usually say that ''I should watch better anime'' or that ''I have shit taste''.

I mean, you're asking to be made fun of. You have School Days in your favorites. I would bully you irl too

"The sun is my enemy, but the moon has been good to me."
Nov 12, 2016 8:05 PM

Jul 2016
No. Enjoy whatever the hell you want.
Nov 12, 2016 8:24 PM
Apr 2015
It's not wrong, just don't go claiming it's the best thing since sliced bread.
Nov 12, 2016 8:38 PM

Feb 2014
Short answer: No
Long answer: Why do you care about other people's opinion of what you like in an medium? Because I certainly don't care if my friends tell me I have shit taste because at the end of the day I am enjoying what I am watching and I don't need their approval. If you are that self-conscious about it then I think you need to gain some self-confidence so you won't have to ask this on an internet forum.

♪All his life has been, a roller coaster ride of dream
No time for looking back, forgetting who or what
His song is all that he leaves behind,
On silent nights I hear him still, whistling a tune I know so well
Gun in hand, rose in another, He's Lupin the 3rd♪

Nov 12, 2016 8:43 PM
Jul 2018
I dont think its wrong to like mainstream anime, as long as you actually enjoy yourself with it. It isn't wrong, it's just people just go around and maybe go and judge you for liking it which, is kinda looking like putting you down, you shouldn't feel ashamed of liking something mainstream.

Hell, if I can say something I myself love Sword Art and that show is quite an example of a show that a lot of people dislike (not only because of it being mainstream but more around its multiple flaws and issues), but its more around the point that I enjoyed it despite the issues it has, but that's just an example. Just enjoy what you like, what's important is if you enjoyed it and if it made you happy. That's all I can say.
Nov 12, 2016 8:45 PM

Sep 2015
It's fine to like mainstream anime, just don't start making it out to be the only good anime amongst all anime. They're mainstream for a reason and it's up to you if you want to branch off into non-mainstream anime or not. Don't listen to those who denounce your taste.
Nov 12, 2016 8:46 PM

Nov 2009
Like whatever the fuck you like and fuck everyone else who gives a fuck what the fuck you like

seriously. no need to justify or feel ashamed of your tastes
Nov 12, 2016 8:53 PM

Dec 2015
I personally don't know the answer to this, but I'm just gonna say no. I personally enjoy One Piece, which is mainstream, but I watch it because it's entertaining. Don't let the word "mainstream" stop you, I say. There are bad mainstream anime, yet there are good ones too.

Overall, no, it is NOT wrong to like mainstream anime. Like what you like. If someone dares hate on you for liking mainstream anime, either ignore them or protect yourself. Welp, this went off-topic.

Like I said, it's not wrong. It's totally fine!
Nov 13, 2016 3:25 AM

Jun 2015
Selenium_Thorium said:
Kageyama-chan said:
When I talk about anime irl people usually say that ''I should watch better anime'' or that ''I have shit taste''.

I mean, you're asking to be made fun of. You have School Days in your favorites. I would bully you irl too

I would beat you. Just like I do with my friends.

''Fairy tail is shit''
*beats him* ''SAY IT'S GOOD''
''IT'S GOOD SORRY''
In the name of Allah, the Gracious, the Merciful. | You know what I hate the most? People who aren't free. They're no more than cattle.
Nov 13, 2016 6:38 AM

Aug 2015
No, you're a filthy casual, go watch better anime.
SomeEdgeLord said:

I WILL report you from this forum if this continues.
In real life, I am one of the coldest, unsympathetic, people you'll ever know, who's grown up in an even colder household, you really don't want me to break my persona, I know how to make people feel bad.

YearnsforAttention said:
hm who has 1656 friends on MAL
that's right me
bye bye

YearnsforAttention said:
I don't want your approval
how many damn times do I need to say it
I enjoy irritating you
I am gonna do things MY way
Nov 13, 2016 6:52 AM

Sep 2016
I watch anime for my personal enjoyment and don't think it is bad to watch mainstream anime as long as you yourself like it.
Nov 13, 2016 6:53 AM

May 2016
No. Don't mean those elitist assholes who say otherwise.
Nov 13, 2016 7:11 AM

Jun 2015
NoobAsian said:
No, you're a filthy casual, go watch better anime.

Like what?? what anime is ''better''?
In the name of Allah, the Gracious, the Merciful. | You know what I hate the most? People who aren't free. They're no more than cattle.
Nov 13, 2016 7:15 AM

Feb 2015
Your favourites are kinda shit though....
Nov 13, 2016 7:22 AM

Aug 2015
Like whatever you want, there is good mainstream anime (maybe that's why they are mainstream in the first place...)
Liking traps is gay and liking Lolis is Pedophila.
Come at me bruh!
Nov 13, 2016 9:26 AM

Jun 2015
JonasTheJay said:
Your favourites are kinda shit though....

ok that's your opinion. I think that they were enjoyable.
Nov 13, 2016 10:42 AM
Feb 2016
Watch what you want to watch, you shouldn't listen to the people that say you have shit taste, because everyone has their own interests. There is nothing wrong with liking mainstream Anime.
King107Apr 1, 2017 9:28 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 13, 2016 10:54 AM

Apr 2015
Personal opinion incoming:

There is nothing inherently wrong with liking mainstream anime. What makes it wrong is if the only reason you like it is because everyone else likes it. If you can avoid the band-wagoner effect, and actually form your own opinions on a show, regardless of popularity, that is great!
"I'd take rampant lesbianism over nuclear armageddon or a supervolcano any day." ~nikiforova
Nov 13, 2016 10:57 AM

Sep 2015
I personaly dont think its wrong to like mainstream anime and your friends probably are the ones watching shit anime,tho its all opinion on what anime you like.
Nov 13, 2016 11:09 AM
Jun 2015
Usually hyped anime is
, because they have only fights/oppai, without any storyline
Nov 13, 2016 11:52 AM

May 2015
It's very wrong to not have the same favorite list as me!
Since my opinion is objective.
Nov 13, 2016 12:18 PM

May 2015
You can like whatever you like as long as you actually enjoy it. Nothing else should matter.
Nov 13, 2016 6:46 PM

Nov 2014
Its wrong to only like mainstream, diversify man.
Pages (16) « First ... « 11 12 [13] 14 15 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» What cartoon did you come to learn was actually anime

JaniSIr - Jun 6

42 by Pages_Pages »»
7 minutes ago

» Anime peaked in 1998

Iron_Leopard - Jun 6

49 by tywhoppity »»
8 minutes ago

» Age of Anime, Relevance, Staying Power and Regional Disconnect

Pages_Pages - 4 hours ago

2 by Pages_Pages »»
12 minutes ago

» Do you look down on people who watch dubbed anime?

Iron_Leopard - 5 hours ago

36 by JaniSIr »»
16 minutes ago

» What's your most anticipated anime from summer 2024 ?

ZXEAN - 2 hours ago

11 by Azuchi »»
34 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.