Forum Settings
Forums

What was your first anime, and who introduced you?

New
Pages (9) « First ... « 6 7 [8] 9 »
Dec 26, 2016 3:29 AM

Apr 2015
I have three different 'First animes', five if you really want to get technical.

My first anime I ever watched was the original Dragonball and Dragonball Z. It's pretty much a part of American culture to have watched DBZ while growing up, and it helped that my mother had followed the series pretty closely since it first started airing stateside.

My next 'first anime' would be Highschool of the Dead, which I watched not too long after its' dub was released. I picked it up out of slightly curiosity because someone who was doing a Code Veronica Let's Play mentioned it in passing. This was the anime that made me aware of anime, but it didn't make me go crazy over the medium.

My real 'first anime', as in, it got me involved in anime, was Sailor Moon. This happened because I had been slightly curious about the series since I had seen commercials air for it every now and then while I was super-young, but was always told by my folks it was about witchcraft and sorcery, two topics that I associated with 'lead you down the path to hell' at the time. After hearing it was thoroughly butchered when brought stateside, I finally dove in, and was pleasantly surprised at what I got.

Special notes to the Sakura Taisen/Sakura Wars anime series, and the Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex. I discovered both of these series just about the same time as Sailor Moon, but I had been faintly aware of them as franchises for a time past, Sakura Taisen through my experience with the manga and games, and Ghost in the Shell through watching gameplay of its' PS1 game.
"I'd take rampant lesbianism over nuclear armageddon or a supervolcano any day." ~nikiforova
Dec 26, 2016 3:34 AM

Oct 2016
My mom... I saw my first anime in TV when I was around 10 yrs old and she was so hyped to see it lol.

It was Voltes V.

I was nothing until the moment I met you.

Dec 26, 2016 3:36 AM
Jun 2016
The first anime I remember watching was Mermaid Melody back when I was seven-eight?
I used to watch it on tv with my babysitter before I go to school.
Dec 26, 2016 3:45 AM

Feb 2008
Speed Racer.... The family of the boy across the street had cable TV and got a channel from the USA which carried the show. Used to hang out at his place a fair bit.

First anime movie I watched was one of the Galaxy Express 999 movies.
Dec 26, 2016 5:20 AM
Dec 2016
Its an impossible task for me .

I came to know about Anime through accidental search for Dragon Ball Z and What was my first downloaded anime , Gurren Lagan which I deleted after watching 1 episode .
"You are what your deep, driving desire is. As your desire is, so is your will. As your will is, so is your deed. As your deed is, so is your destiny. " -Brihdaranyak Upanishad
Dec 26, 2016 5:25 AM

Jan 2016
Through primary school and high school I grew up with Pokemon, Digimon, DBZ, Teknoman and Sailor Moon. Then I took a hiatus.

If we're going by my adulthood, it was when I asked suggestions from friends on Facebook... well when I still had friends...
First comment was Code Geass, so I watched it. Got me hooked on anime ever since.
Dec 26, 2016 5:25 AM

Dec 2016
Nobody introduced anime to me, I just started watching animes that my local TV networks started to air (dubbed, obviously) during the mid 90's. Concretely, with the premiere of the original Saint Seiya in 1996. It completely dragged me in, but I don't remember if by the moment I was watching it I already knew it was an anime or not, I don't remember exactly when was the first time I heard of the term "anime" and came to know that it referred to japanese animated shows.

After the premiere of this series, a local TV network in my country started to specialize in anime and started importing a lot of shows. Anime fever in my country had ignited and I'm glad I was part of this generation of first-watchers.
SoldierDreamDec 26, 2016 5:42 AM
Dec 26, 2016 5:41 AM
Mar 2014
The first anime I remember watching was Pretty Cure. I was able to watch that show while it aired on YTV years ago.

No one introduced me. I used to watch YTV channel a lot for other shows and Pretty Cure just randomly showed up on TV one day. I got hooked on that show afterwards
Dec 26, 2016 6:45 AM

Mar 2016
Holy cr*p!

Reading through the comments here makes me realize how young everybody is. ^^;

I actually can't remember which one was my first, but it probably was something like Heidi, Uchuu Densetsu Ulysses 31, Captain Future etc. ... that was about 30 years ago, so excuse me if I can't remember it clearly.

Nobody introduced me to it, it was airing on TV and that's how it happened slowly but surely. :)
Dec 26, 2016 7:15 AM

Sep 2016
My mums friend was staying over at our house. While I was on my laptop he asked me if I could order a 'One Punch Man' shirt for him and he'd pay me back. Once I ordered the shirt it piqued my interest and so I looked at a variety of different anime and chose to watch 'DanMachi' for some reason I don't remember.

"Even if your soul disappears, your wishes and curses remain in this world."
Dec 26, 2016 7:19 AM

Apr 2016
pokemon, doraemon and DBZ. NO 1 who introduce me those anime only the tv do that work. i just enjoy myself.

Fools set the rules in this world. Just take a look
around. It's undeniable.
Noctis

Dec 26, 2016 7:36 AM

Mar 2016
I didn't remember the first anime I've watch..but I think maybe it's Doraemon. Same as the person above my post I also introduced anime by TV.
Forum set made by Sereshay

Dec 26, 2016 1:58 PM

Sep 2014
I somehow came across Ouran High School Host Club on YouTube one day and decided to watch it.
Dec 26, 2016 2:07 PM

Nov 2016
İ saw aot wings of freedom pc game at steam i check it then liked it so i give a try to anime and liked even more that was the start

in summary
2016 summer i think.
Steam introduced me
Dec 26, 2016 2:16 PM

Dec 2007
Maya the Bee, in TV at kindergarten age.
A whopping life changing experience.
Dec 26, 2016 2:21 PM

Nov 2010
Lot of children cartoons that I watched as child that came from tv were animes even if I didn't realize it. Moomins, Alfred J. Quack.. stuff like that- that isn't really known as anime series. Then Pokemon, Digimon, Ginga: Nagareboshi Gin, Lady Oscar- lot of more clearly animes that were shown on tv or popular with VHS...

But if this isn't about series that I watched at child.. Naruto really was first anime. My little sister was the one who got me into it. So pretty basic stuff :)
Dec 26, 2016 2:24 PM
Sep 2016
When I didn´t know it was Anime : Tokyo Mew Mew and Dragon Ball
When I knew that it was Anime : Naruto and One Piece
When I started to be obsessed with Anime : Owari no Seraph
Dec 26, 2016 2:30 PM
Jul 2018
Naruto. A friend introduced it to me, and I got hooked. That friend later introduced me to Bleach, and I didn't want to watch it because I was focused on Naruto. But then I watched the first episode with him and it was great. He only had up to like 120 episodes and I kept bothering him for 5 years to get the other ones. Great times.
Dec 26, 2016 2:32 PM
Captain Eyepatch

Dec 2015
Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood.

After watching Avatar the Legend of Korra, I wanted something simular. Someone on 9gag made a post about how much FMAB looked like the Avatar series. After that, there was no stopping the anime watch train..
Dec 26, 2016 2:32 PM

Aug 2010
Dragon Ball. Local tv statation. xd
Dec 26, 2016 2:38 PM
Aug 2016
My first anime were Pokemon and sailor moon as a young child.
But the one that properly introduced me to anime was naruto. No one got me into it, I just found volume 6 of the manga for 50p and from there I found the show online and now I'm here.
Food is the way to a mans heart.
Food wars is the way to mine.

'So long as this world stays nonsensical, there'll be room in it for a nonsensical person like me.'
Dec 26, 2016 2:48 PM

Sep 2016
The first anime I watched "on purpose" was probably Lucky Star. Probably.
It's been so long I have no idea who introduced me.
Maybe it was in my youtube recommendations since I watched it there, but I have no idea.

I remember my second anime more clearly, it was Romeo x Juliet, and I learned about it because some girl on some forum had videos and gifs of it in her profile. At the time it piqued my interest. (Still, I watched it dubbed and I'll always watch this one dubbed, it's one of my few exceptions)

The first anime I watched, not on purpose, was probably Pokemon. I also remember watching a lot of Cat's Eye. (I looked at the anime page right now, I didn't expect it to have so few members, woah)
KamidoxDec 26, 2016 2:58 PM
Dec 26, 2016 3:10 PM
Jun 2016
My first anime was EF: tales of memories.
I went through my first break up and found amv's on YouTube which lead to me watching tales of memories then guilty crown, golden time and so on.
Dec 26, 2016 3:11 PM

Dec 2015
It was around 2014 where I was playing minecraft with my little step brother and my other step brother who watches anime was right next to us I told them that I really wanted to get into anime so my step brother showed me an anime called Blue exorcist and I got hooked with the medium then when I got to school I told my friend about anime and how cool it was and my best friend told me about attack on titan, I know what aot was but I thought it was the anime that made the anime expressions and it was the best anime out there because I looked at imdb with my older brother who doesn't watch anime, after my best friend told me to watch attack on titan, I watched it and immediately got hooked with attack on titan and watched allot of anime and never finished blue exorcist and a bunch of anime I've watched in 2015 those were deadman wonderland, death note, squid girl and many more anime, like I love those shows it's just that I was shit at finishing things like games, books(well I was never a reader in 2014) until my friend told me about manga and that's where I read a bunch of the attack on titan manga and other manga, and you can say that anime got me into reading, I was not finding any anime that I was finishing until a certain anime popped near me and that was Kill la Kill, I FUCKING LOVED KILL LA KILL and still love it till this day, and that anime made me so hyped and I loved it so much I started watching a bunch of anime then I was when I was watching aot and till this day I'm still watching anime and loving it to this day
hi
Dec 26, 2016 3:16 PM
Jun 2015
My first anime was Gintama, and DAMN was it a good way to start this obsession of mine! And the one who introduced me was The Anime Man (Joey).
BEFOREVERYOROZUYA
Dec 26, 2016 3:59 PM
Nov 2016
I am very new to this community but heres my story: An friend and I were on math class and we were doing nothing and the teacher said it would be ok to use our phones but that day I left my phone at home. So I bored I look over my friend and was watching sousei no omnyouji and I start watching with him and I ask him what it was and my life went full in with it.
Dec 26, 2016 4:07 PM

Jan 2014
well its almost like my dad introduced me to anime when he bought me that naruto ps2 game XD
Sonic X is basically an isekai
Dec 26, 2016 4:09 PM

Feb 2016
No one introduced me to anime. I found it myself whilst browsing the internet and stumbled across Naruto since it was a new anime and they made such a big deal out of it. Decided to try it out and yeah, that's where it began.

"The other day I met this man, a nice guy, y'know?
And we had a really good chat. Then I slit his throat and ripped his heart out through his chest.
Does that make me a bad person?"

Dec 26, 2016 4:12 PM
Jul 2013
Apart from Pokémon, Dragon Ball and Yu-Gi-Oh (I didn't know what anime is when I was kid), my first anime was Mirai Nikki - the protagonist really frustrated me but the plot wasn't bad. And my high school classmate (girl) introduced me to this new world. I have no regrets anymore except watching Clannad AS EP16 at 4AM and kept crying 'til I reached the school... I was fool Clannad deserved more.
Dec 26, 2016 4:14 PM
Jun 2016
Well,the first anime I see was Dragin Ball,but being an otaku,it was Death Note. I introduced myself and also because of Sonic the Hedgehog XD
Dec 26, 2016 4:31 PM

Oct 2016
My first is my favorite anime to this day Saint Seiya, I was 5 or 6 years old this happened around 1996 or 1997 and no one introduced me I watched on television.
Dec 26, 2016 4:57 PM

Dec 2016
I have been watching anime since i was born. My mom introduced me to them with vhss. I don't remember the first one i watched but some of the firsts were beyblade, lady oscar (the rose of versailles), dragon ball and various ghibli movies
Dec 26, 2016 5:01 PM

Sep 2015
Kenkou Zenrakai Suieibu Umishou.

I was digging around through YT vidyas on vidyagames, watched some stuff about Yandere Sim, and I really liked the way the way the school looked in it and I wanted to watch something with a similar aesthetic, I guess, so I looked up a top 10 list of top school anime, that one was #10, and I just rolled with it.

Still one of my favorites to this day, I think it's a bit of an underappreciated gem.

Dec 26, 2016 5:11 PM

Mar 2016
It was Kimba the white lion if not Speed Racer. I don't remember if I found Kimba the white lion on TV by myself or not. But I remember that I usually watched it with my two brothers and my neighbours. For Speed Racer, it was my big brother who found it on TV. And I usually joined if he was watching.
"People who don't see that anime has changed are either wearing "glasses" or watching only a certain type (and or era) of anime"
"Having a low mean score doesn't necessarily mean one doesn't enjoy anime. Rating system is not a school grading system."
"Elitist is people who think he is superior than others. Not necessarily ones who insulting/critisizing your favorite anime or people who enjoy a certain type of anime"
"Fanboy is people who translating "your favorite anime is shit" into "you are shit".
"Being a fanboy is an indication of elitism"
Dec 26, 2016 6:52 PM

Jan 2014
If not counting the usual DBZ or Pokemon, it was either Death Note or Code Geass. One of my friends told to watch it.
Dec 26, 2016 7:20 PM

Mar 2016
I was watching Pokemon with my big brother before I even started kindergarten I believe lol. I have one vague memory of Dragon Ball as well...

The first anime I watched while being aware it was anime was Naruto, and it got me hooked on anime/manga so I generally consider that the beginning of it all. My best friend had me watch Naruto and we've been nerding it up together ever since.
Dec 27, 2016 12:58 AM

Aug 2016
I think it was Crayon Shin-Chan for me... Don't know exactly when. Just started to watch it from TV.

But the first anime I was introduced to was Major S3 (not S1).
Dec 27, 2016 1:03 AM

Feb 2016
The first anime I've seen was one piece. At that time my brother was a big fan of one piece, and would always nag me constantly to give one piece a try. After a while I cracked up and gave one piece a try. I fell in love with it. And that's how ladies and gents how I dived into the anime world.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 27, 2016 1:07 AM

Sep 2016
My Best friend introduce Charlotte to me. It was an awesome anime that completely change my life. After that, i started to watch anime a lot more
Dec 27, 2016 1:41 AM
Aug 2016
Watched Pokemon, Sailor Moon and a few others when I was growing up, but I didn't know what anime was until like 2010, I finally got into anime by playing the Naruto, Bleach, DBZ and One Piece games, then watching the animes, then for the next few years I only ever watched Naruto, Bleach, DBZ, One Piece, Toriko and SAO, but earlier this year I decided to watch WAY more anime.
Dec 27, 2016 2:16 AM
Apr 2013
My "first" anime (first one I know was an anime when I watched it" was soul eater I was introduced and forced to watch it with a former friend who was in the same grade as my little brother who now is on my shit list and don't talk to for reasons I am not going to get into but the one this I will thank that person for is getting me into anime. However my first anime that I found out was an anime a decade after I watched it was Yugioh.
Neither a wise man nor a brave man lies down on the tracks of history to wait for the train of the future to run over him.
Dwight D. Eisenhower
Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.
George S. Patton
A better world shall emerge based on faith and understanding.
Douglas MacArthur
Any more WW2 generals I should quote?
Dec 27, 2016 3:04 AM

May 2014
N-A-R-U-T-O, saw it on tv much like 90% of anime watchers.
Dec 27, 2016 3:34 AM
Jan 2016
My first anime was nura:rise of the yokai clan , introduced by a friend of mine
Dec 27, 2016 7:28 AM

Aug 2015
Probably the first serie of Macross or Ranma. I just started watching on tv alone when I was a child.
Dec 27, 2016 8:01 AM

Nov 2015
If i´m not wrong was either Naruto or Dragon Ball. My classmate introduced me years ago, i had an amazing time watching these series.
Dec 27, 2016 8:05 AM

Jun 2015
Not including pokemon or yu-gi-oh which I grew up with, sword art online. Netflix introduced me to it, I was just bored and browsing it.
Dec 27, 2016 11:50 AM

Nov 2015
MiziTami said:
I used to watch DBZ, Conan, Capeta, Pokémon without even knowing that they were Anime. I watched Avatar TLA on Nick in 2008. I rediscovered the series 3 years later only to be blown away by it in all proportions and rewatching the whole show over 9000 15 times! Those were the days ❤️. Rediscovered also Naruto and I was like 😲

Accidently watched Bleach episode and I was hook, line and sinker.

But I guess it was Avatar ♥️ (even tho it's not technically an Anime but bleh)

WBU @KiriZama @kazuro

Do I even need to reply? Everything what you did, I did the same No i didnt watch it 15 times, i watched it 5 time oly.. You are the one who took my life away from me, and made me an otaku. Now I cant live without anime :')
shayed
Dec 27, 2016 12:05 PM

Apr 2014
First anime I ever watched is still my favorite one, CardCaptor Sakura
And no one introduced me to it, but before watching it I think there was some kids in my class talking about it
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 27, 2016 11:27 PM

Aug 2016
Hehe, just to jump in, my first anime is one of the well-known animes.

... 0-0;

Err, it was either DB or Naruto, most likely the former. According to my family, I have been watching anime ever since I was a babe. Growing up, I watched it with my uncle, but I suddenly had a gap where I completely forgot about anime!~

Now I'm back on track and really lovin' anime! :D

Dec 27, 2016 11:39 PM

Jun 2015
SAO. I was watching some AMVs on youtube and then I found one that looked REALLY cool. One of the anime seriesthat were in there was SAO. Next day, I talked with my friend that I found this cool AMV and he said that SAO was really cool so I checked it out. I kept watching it and after I finished I was looking for more anime series similar to SAO.
Pages (9) « First ... « 6 7 [8] 9 »

More topics from this board

» Do you dislike low-resolution anime shows? ( 1 2 )

DesuMaiden - Sep 22

70 by Memore »»
1 minute ago

» Does anybody else not read manga because they don't know Japanese?

ForgotEyeWasHere - 1 hour ago

7 by SimplyBrazen »»
2 minutes ago

» 🎖️Best Protagonist of all time & discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

nirererin - Aug 16

672 by Memore »»
3 minutes ago

» Thoughts on HiDive for Anime Viewing?

GalacticWeiss12 - 34 minutes ago

3 by ForgotEyeWasHere »»
4 minutes ago

» The problem with most modern anime (spoilers for some series)

Ebb1993 - Sep 22

36 by DesuMaiden »»
16 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.