Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Sep 5, 2017 8:10 PM
Mar 2016
kore wa des ne?

Kira dakara

now im just excited
Sep 24, 2017 4:25 AM

Oct 2015
By far one of my favorite anime episodes of all time! kept it intense to all the way to end with chills.
Jan 9, 2018 8:47 PM
Jan 2018
Ep.7 was just flawless, as soon as Light said he was Kira, I just completely died, I felt really bad for the girl, I may have just started watching anime and reading manga on January 7th, but I know that kind of stuff is crazy in anime and manga. Just an amazing episode. ∞/10
Jan 19, 2018 6:20 AM
Jan 2018
so cooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool episode
Jan 19, 2018 6:02 PM
Jan 2018
Episode 5: No, don't kill Raye! He's a good man :(
Episode 7: Yes, finish her! ^._.^
Feb 7, 2018 1:01 AM
Jan 2016
I wonder if I'm missing something in this episode. First time the clock hit 1:25 pm, Naomi didn't act up as she had given a fake name earlier. But how come she started acting weird again at 1:25 pm. Did the time remain the same the whole time? I thought they were walking for sometime after the failed attempt.

Hope someone can clarify this
Feb 7, 2018 1:05 AM
Jan 2016
slkrr said:
Fantastic and intense episode!

However, I'm curious how it was 1:25pm twice...?

+1 I have the same question in my mind
Feb 8, 2018 9:18 AM
Feb 2018
I can't remember exactly which episode that was but if it's the one I'm thinking. I have no idea how he managed to pull off the whole name thing without breaking down. I would have crumbled I think that it was amazing
Feb 11, 2018 9:05 AM

Jun 2017
Goood oh mighty. This was intense! Light is fucking clever!
Feb 11, 2018 11:52 PM

Dec 2016
Ryuk's laugh is voice acted so goddamn well!!!!!
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
May 5, 2018 6:31 PM

Oct 2015
LOAD said:
@everyone shaming Naomi for falling into the trap:
Y'all are forgetting what she said about Light and L being similar. Yeah, Naomi is hella smart and deserves recognition for her carefulness, but she is a detective after all. Aren't they known for trusting their gut/instincts? Because she met someone who she believed to be like L, the person she trusts the most, it's not logically impossible for her to believe this L-like stranger is telling the truth. L might know that he and Kira are similar, but it's not as if Naomi knows that.

Moreover, Light said something about Kira being able to control his victims before they die- which Naomi fervently agrees with the moment he tells this to her. This gives her further initiative to think this high schooler is intelligent. This also contributes to her eventual demise as she falls for Light's trap.

I agree with this statement, but you got to put yourself in her shoes and her emotions. Plus it would be hard to believe that a high schooler, the son of the head of police would be the killer
Sep 2, 2018 12:36 AM
Mar 2016
At some of the decisions made by the main character, all I can do is cringe and hope that he gets caught. The amount of stupidity he's implemented in some of these situations to try and kill people is really sloppy. But hey, you really can't choose where this book falls so I guess that explains it.
Sep 6, 2018 6:21 PM

May 2018
I really like this episode, but... the end is so confusing...
"No matter where you go, everyone's connected." Iwakura, Lain.

Sep 30, 2018 6:25 AM

Aug 2014
omg I hate Light!

and the anime started to be the type when each episode is single plot and it is finished when the episode ends...
when I got totally fooled by her as I didn't know she gave the alias and started to think that maybe she won't help solve it immediately, but she will be the main character throughout the series, but no... then she gave her real name and dies...

and I think that Light takes pleasure in telling his loosing enemy who he/she lost to... he is the villain for me now..
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ ちゅっ ちゅっ キス (´。✪ω✪。`)

I hate it when anime/manga that I enjoyed ends, especially when there could be much longer plot and when I love main heroine :P

I wish I had magic glasses that let me see real world in anime colors ;)
Nov 8, 2018 4:09 PM

Aug 2007
It really shows how powerful and defective emotions can be.

It's what makes you human. The only reason Naomi trusted Light was due to her emotions getting the better of her normally careful judgement. I think it's absolutely believable that she would trust Light with information considering she is in mourning for her fiance and is more interested in information and justice, taking chances to solve the mystery.

Unfortunately Light is well aware of this and completely uses it to his advantage with no remorse.

Jan 3, 2019 1:33 PM

Jan 2018
I laugh everytime I hear Ryuk’s laugh in this episode! This is the best episode right next to the first one.

Naomi looks very similar to Mikasa Ackerman, don’t you think?
Jan 4, 2019 6:30 AM

Jun 2017
That realization face of the girl, brilliant! Sasuga Light kun! "Oh this? that's because I'm Kira." It was really the right decision to watch this again.
“What do you do when there is an evil you cannot defeat by just means? Do you stain your hands with evil to destroy evil? Or do you remain steadfastly just and righteous even if it means surrendering to evil?”
― Lelouch Vi Britannia
Feb 6, 2019 6:16 AM

Dec 2018
Weird that she didn't suspect Light why he keep following her.

The moment she lost her composure is the moment she lost the game
He who smiles in a crisis has found someone to blame.
Feb 20, 2019 5:11 PM

Feb 2019
Awesome episode, tense till the last second. I loved the fact that the task force member saw him at the last second - that should spice up the next few episodes :)
I am not a weeb, I simply enjoy 2D girls
Apr 3, 2019 1:34 PM

Dec 2007
Everytime I rewatched this ep in the end I'm always thinking "if she didn't die what would she do with the fact that Light is KIRA".
And by randomly reading some comments in this thread, saying that although Naomi is a detective and all, most of them probably male guys that probably doesn't understand female well, once they get emotional and all, no matter how much suspicious and all, once u talk to their emotional state they can't fite it, and Light know well women and all talk very well and that's his reason saying "just a little more" about that, with all great Naomi genius and all she is a still a women.
User-NameApr 3, 2019 1:37 PM
Apr 14, 2019 11:19 AM
Apr 2018
Oh crap, she kept her composure for most of the episode but the moment she lost it... gg.

And Light is a full villain now. There is nothing he could do to redeem himself.
Jun 29, 2019 7:56 PM

Jun 2015
the moment she gave in to his charisma and confidence is the minute she completely lost the battle, she was a good opponent of the episode though.
her face of realization once she knew it was over for her though.
Oct 21, 2019 12:06 AM

Apr 2017
If she buy's Light's goofy lie about being on the task force I'm dropping this fucking show.
Oct 21, 2019 12:14 AM

Apr 2017
Dropped. Fuck this show.
Jan 17, 2020 4:41 PM

Apr 2015
The chess game has truly begun. The way he worked Naomi into giving up he real name was quite impressive.
Jan 22, 2020 3:13 PM

Mar 2016
I breathed a massive sigh of relief when it was revealed she was using an alias......but then the end. Ffs, you dense, careless idiot! Light had been super creepy the moment she met him and yet she still swallowed his bs whole. How did that task force guy not even try to take a peek at her and Light though as he passed.. Surely he would have been a bit curious.
Making for good tension, but the conclusionn to it feels very forced when the victim decides to be incredibly stupid.
May 24, 2020 10:56 AM
Discord Moderator
Divine Protector

Sep 2019
WOW that was intense, that last scene I could feel my heart beating in my chest when Light revealed who he was. It was a very menacing scene, Light is really descending into a bad place.
Jul 10, 2020 10:21 PM

Jun 2020
such an epic episode. and the aesthetics with the snow falling and the investigator walking past the 2 of them just missing them by that flicker of a moment - silently and deadly beautiful.

but i’ll probably remember over and over again
you were there and everyone else was there
— the day we all searched for just one thing

Aug 27, 2020 9:38 AM

Aug 2019
200 IQ play of the game right there.
Sep 27, 2020 12:15 PM

Jul 2017
oh my god that episode was amazing
Oct 4, 2020 3:53 PM
Sep 2012
Okay, so this is my take on this episode. I saw a lot of people saying “how could she have fallen for all of that horseshit coming out of Light’s mouth as an extremely intelligent, exceedingly cautious ex-FBI agent?” So this is how I understand why she fell into Light’s web of lies:

1) Take, for a moment, the mental and emotional state of the character. Yes, she is an ex-FBI agent, but is still a human being who feels pain and possesses vulnerabilities. Now, in this episode, Naomi just lost her fiance whom she had plans to marry and live the rest of her life with. It is also hinted in her conversation with Ray Panber that she gave up on her career as an FBI agent to marry him and start a family. In this respect, Ray didn’t even want her, in any way, acting like an FBI agent again (hence why he admonished her for giving him her [very sharp] opinion about what happened with the bus hijacking). It is also implied that she was passionate about her career and had great trouble giving it up (because she still gives Ray her personal input on his tasks and missions as an agent). So after Ray’s death, she no longer has Ray OR her career as an agent. After these losses, her life is in shambles and she no longer has any purpose. Her newfound purpose is avenging Ray’s death by finding Kira. That is the only thing on her mind: revenge. On this note, the pain of her loss is quite fresh and probably consuming her to the core.

2) When Light sees her at the HQ, the police officers compliment him on solving the cases and suggest Light’s involvement with the police. One even seemed to admire Light and wanted him to remember who he was. This small exchange already lends credibility to Light as an investigator and someone who may be “on the right side of justice”. Obviously, Naomi notes this.

3) Remember that she is grief-stricken and looking for a semblance of hope to avenge Ray and give her life meaning again. This is probably the reason why she discusses her theories with Light, knowing that he has investigated complicated cases and solved them. In this way, she is itching to tell someone her conclusions and feel like she is on the right path towards avenging Ray. Light senses this and speaks to her in an extremely friendly way that pushes her to open up and then validates her opinions and theories. That validation alone is already something that gives her hope, it affirms her perception and abilities, and intesifies her purpose of finding Kira and avenging Ray. That, by itself, immediately makes her feel closer to Light.

4)Then, Light charmingly flatters her intelligence, her keen senses and abilities. To a grief-stricken, lost and vulnerable individual that can be extremely compelling, especially since Ray seemed like he never validated her in that sense.

5) Then, the absolute CHERRY ON THE PIE, was when she revealed she was an FBI agent to Light. He used that to invite her to come into the taskforce as a detective. Remember that we already know that Naomi was extremely passionate about her job as an FBI agent and gave it up for Ray. Now, the amazing chance to become an agent again and work to avenge Ray is right there before her eyes. A new beginning, a new purpose. “I can do what I’ve always loved to do and use it to avenge my fiance”. It definitely blinded her at that moment. Her vulnerabilites, her desires, her pain, her inherent familiarity and intuitive liking of Light from his similarity with L, they screamed louder than any red flags or alarms going off in the back of her head. Then she resigned to Light and gave him her identification.

Hence, this is why I think that the episode was perfectly played out. You have to pay attentiont to every detail, even the seemingly insignificant ones that the anime displays. Taking into account all of these factors, I think the episode was perfect.
Light is a true sociopath: charming, intuitively aware of people’s emotions and fully capable of perceiving his enemy’s human weaknesses and using them against them.
nanehbabyOct 4, 2020 3:57 PM
Oct 7, 2020 6:21 PM

Jul 2020
There are no words to describe how thrilling this episode was.

Goddamn Yagami.
Nov 25, 2020 8:12 PM
Aug 2020
They had me hoping until the last that he wouldn't get her real name out of her.

This is definitely an interesting anime. It makes me wonder, how far will Light go to maintain his belief that what he's doing is right? One could argue that him killing criminals was a moral gray area, but there's nothing gray about the people he's killed in his efforts to keep himself from being found out. Yes, it's typical human self-preservation, but how far will he take it? What happens if his father gets too close to the truth?
Jan 4, 2021 3:21 PM

Jan 2020
oh damn, those were some pretty smooth lies.
i was shivering through most of this episode for some reason. (even if it's not cold)
Jan 25, 2021 3:45 AM

Jul 2017
That episode was awesome. Naomi's emotions clouding her judgement, and constant pressurization and subtle manipulation from Light got the best of her in the end, and the imagery of her walking onto the platform of suicide as she climbs the stairs up to the skies was pretty fucked up but really great to watch from the cynical perspective of this show. Light's desperation worked for now, but it was really cutting it close at times.
Mar 28, 2021 11:01 PM
Jan 2021
I felt very sad when Light won over Naomi and sent her to her death.
Despite what good intentions Light started with, he is the evil one now.

Did he become bad because of Shingami's influence? Or is he just like that?
Mar 29, 2021 6:12 PM

Dec 2007
solohikertoo said:
I felt very sad when Light won over Naomi and sent her to her death.
Despite what good intentions Light started with, he is the evil one now.

Did he become bad because of Shingami's influence? Or is he just like that?
it seems to me you really didn't watched closely light character, took you long enough to observe that light have evil intentions.
and i believe that no, light didn't influenced to do bad by shinigmi, the death note just triggered his true feeling for the world.
Mar 30, 2021 11:39 AM
Nov 2020
this?? ep??? shook??? me???? hard??????

im so amazed by light lmao what a brain
Apr 18, 2021 12:11 AM

Aug 2014
Im gonna miss Naomi's big bootea. Even the anime was putting her bootea in angles so the audience could see it.
May 20, 2021 10:47 PM

Feb 2021
I loved this episode! It was so intense! So now Naomi will commit suicide?

Jul 22, 2021 8:03 PM
Jul 2021
Liked the episodes but I didnt enjoy the part where Light Yagami assumes he can overtake the girl in a fight simply because she's a girl.
Jul 23, 2021 8:20 AM

Jun 2020
Naaaahh, I have a feeling she handed him a fake ID, like c'mon she's too clever, she probably did this and was hoping to find out if he was Kira or not. And what's with that English name when she's supposed to be Japanese??

Alsoooo, regarding her fiance he might come back to life, because of the rule

"If a human uses the note, a god of death usually appears within him/her within 39 days after he/she uses the note "

he didn't touch the note but he did use it as per Light's instructions, and Shinigami can probably bring humans back to life based on certain conditions
Aug 29, 2021 8:33 PM

May 2019
I know Light reminded her of L but she still had no reason to trust him.
Sep 11, 2021 10:19 AM
Sep 2021
Loved this episode, the way Light manages to stay calm and pull a lie like that together is fascinating!
Oct 17, 2021 6:57 PM

Nov 2019
When the investigator passed by them, it gave me some chills. Poor girl :(
Nov 8, 2021 8:08 AM
Nov 2020
This is the episode that convinced me of Death Note's greatness.
Jan 28, 2022 4:08 PM

Jan 2022
definitely the best episode so far, my toes were curled the whole time
Mar 11, 2022 6:37 AM
Feb 2022
Wow.
I agree with the comments that say this was the best episode so far. That was some thriller for about 20 minutes and I had goosebumps when Light finally got to see her name. The last expression of her before she committed suicide was on point btw.
May 11, 2022 5:04 PM
Apr 2022
Best episode ever
Light is my favourite caracter
May 28, 2022 12:47 PM
May 2022
this is my favorite episode yet! it really showcases how intelligent and manipulative Light is. my theory about Light keeping Naomi by his side in order to seem less suspicious was way off. i feel like this is gonna be the point in this series where Light goes from "power-hungry high schooler" to "full on villain" and i'm very excited!
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

» What detectives from other series do you think could solve the Kira case?

TheBlockernator - Jun 5

42 by xxbadd »»
4 hours ago

Poll: » Death Note Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Luna - Dec 14, 2013

111 by N_Erwann »»
7 hours ago

Poll: » Death Note Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

kei-clone - Mar 3, 2007

141 by 4LA23 »»
Today, 1:33 AM

Poll: » Death Note Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

sugarplumfairy - Sep 5, 2008

129 by N_Erwann »»
Jun 6, 9:13 AM

Poll: » Death Note Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

stars4evr09 - Jun 26, 2008

215 by N_Erwann »»
Jun 5, 12:53 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.