Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Sep 27, 2016 6:34 PM

Mar 2014
While the last episode was good, great action, lots of songs.... but the ending felt like rushed.

they could have easily extended this episode for another 12 episode easily if they had more time to properly close up all the lose ends.
Sep 27, 2016 6:57 PM

Dec 2007
A very unsatisfying ending. As has been mentioned, a huge number of things were left unresolved:
-Anything and everything regarding Lady M
-The end of the overall conflict, including resolution and aftermath for all involved - most notably the fallout from revelations of NUNS corruption and the damage Windemere caused.
-The full truth behind Hayate's father and the dimensional bombing (including what Windemere's leadership knew), that actually getting out, and the absolution he deserves.
-An epiphany for Bogue - as the series poster boy for intolerance, even a modest turn-around for him would have been an excellent metaphor for the necessary reconciliation between Windemere and the rest of the galaxy. And we had several hints at things that could have done it.
-Freyja's future - it was practically established that her work was generating premature aging, which is a big deal for someone already at half her people's life expectancy.
-For that matter, there might be issues in the Windemerean Royal Family too - that deserves some mention.

Beyond that, the pacing for the third act was terrible at multiple points, and most characters were underdeveloped and underutilized, as noted. It did have good music and visuals, and many of the characters actually did have significant potential if properly fleshed out and utilized. But without movies or OVAs to do that (yet), I'm left feeling unfulfilled. It wasn't a bad show, but like the Star Wars prequels mentioned earlier, it just doesn't live up to its predecessors.
Sep 27, 2016 7:38 PM

Mar 2016
To all the folks here, accoding to wikipedia which accorded to Berger, Lady M is Minmay.

I wonder which episode they put that in or the author on wikipedia just asspull that out.
Sep 27, 2016 8:19 PM
Dec 2011
NeoRevan said:

Ok, so... a few thoughts. First off, Mirage looked so bad because they spent almost zero time actually giving her character. Most of the characters didn't get any time being characterized. Also, I'm guessing you haven't seen many, if any, of the earlier Macross entries, cause those traditions is a big part of the franchise. One that I haven't really seen mentioned is the lack of any sort of version of "My Boyfriend is a Pilot" which really annoys me. Did this throw some traditions away? Yes. Is that necessarily a bad thing? I'll admit, not always. But especially with Macross, traditions are the bedrock of the series. To just dismiss that out of hand, is to spit on the last 30 years of Macross. They just generally handled this very poorly, with the most lopsided 'triangle' I've seen. Also, the reason people are talking about a sequel? 100% Macross tradition. There is always a Movie version of the original, and more often then not, its a complete re-write of the series(this is what tipped me off your pretty new to the series) and also almost every time(actually, every time AFAIK) the movie is the cannon entry. And Macross Frontier is the best entry in the series. Its the Gold Standard. Which is another reason why Delta is falling so flat with so many long time fans, because this is following the greatest entry to date(well, DYRL could be debated, but that's neither here nor there).

Anyways, everyone is entitled to their opinions, however wrong others might think of them. But as somewhere between a veteran of this series(started in 2011 with Frontier and DYRL) and a newbie(this is the first Macross series that I've watched as it airs) please, remember that this is an old franchise and an old fanbase. This is being compared to a long history of high quality(for the most part) entries. You can come in here and give your opinion, but especially if its your first Macross, don't say its the best thing ever. This is only surpassed by Dynamite (and a movie that doesn't exist) in how bad it was, and part of that is the pedigree from which it came. I am glad that more people are getting into the series, don't get me wrong. I'm glad your happy with the outcome of the 'Triangle'. But there is so much better out there. If you don't want to start with Frontier, then fine. So be it. Then at least watch DYRL.

That guy just simply think everyone who bashing this show right now must be Mirage fans(in shipping way), even there are people said disappointed with this show but never talked about Mirage.

The fact is this show's writing become No Man's Sky level bad(=a show keep doing nothing) in 2nd cour and that's nothing to do with any "traditions".
Sep 27, 2016 9:37 PM

Aug 2014
The whole show was an awful trainwreck. But the ending was just a bad copy of Frontier ending:

1. Fight to liberate a planet
2. Super weapon where a good singer character is imprisoned and has to sing for the evil guys, with a huge hologram in front of it.
3. The evil guy surprises everyone and tries to connect everyone's mind/create some kind os super consciousness, which is broken by the song of one of the good guys (even with the chaning color stuff).
4. The Macross has a weapon blown by the super weapon before using some kind of pin point barrier to open a passage for the good guys to save the imprisoned singer.
5. Some of the bad guys become goods guys and help everyone.
Sep 27, 2016 10:26 PM

Sep 2012
D-Joe said:
NeoRevan said:

Ok, so... a few thoughts. First off, Mirage looked so bad because they spent almost zero time actually giving her character. Most of the characters didn't get any time being characterized. Also, I'm guessing you haven't seen many, if any, of the earlier Macross entries, cause those traditions is a big part of the franchise. One that I haven't really seen mentioned is the lack of any sort of version of "My Boyfriend is a Pilot" which really annoys me. Did this throw some traditions away? Yes. Is that necessarily a bad thing? I'll admit, not always. But especially with Macross, traditions are the bedrock of the series. To just dismiss that out of hand, is to spit on the last 30 years of Macross. They just generally handled this very poorly, with the most lopsided 'triangle' I've seen. Also, the reason people are talking about a sequel? 100% Macross tradition. There is always a Movie version of the original, and more often then not, its a complete re-write of the series(this is what tipped me off your pretty new to the series) and also almost every time(actually, every time AFAIK) the movie is the cannon entry. And Macross Frontier is the best entry in the series. Its the Gold Standard. Which is another reason why Delta is falling so flat with so many long time fans, because this is following the greatest entry to date(well, DYRL could be debated, but that's neither here nor there).

Anyways, everyone is entitled to their opinions, however wrong others might think of them. But as somewhere between a veteran of this series(started in 2011 with Frontier and DYRL) and a newbie(this is the first Macross series that I've watched as it airs) please, remember that this is an old franchise and an old fanbase. This is being compared to a long history of high quality(for the most part) entries. You can come in here and give your opinion, but especially if its your first Macross, don't say its the best thing ever. This is only surpassed by Dynamite (and a movie that doesn't exist) in how bad it was, and part of that is the pedigree from which it came. I am glad that more people are getting into the series, don't get me wrong. I'm glad your happy with the outcome of the 'Triangle'. But there is so much better out there. If you don't want to start with Frontier, then fine. So be it. Then at least watch DYRL.

That guy just simply think everyone who bashing this show right now must be Mirage fans(in shipping way), even there are people said disappointed with this show but never talked about Mirage.

The fact is this show's writing become No Man's Sky level bad(=a show keep doing nothing) in 2nd cour and that's nothing to do with any "traditions".

Its funny that you mention that since you have Neo mentioning both Mirage and traditions. I find it hilarious how anyone would try to justify tradition. It's poor writing. It's easily predictable while being limited in writing. I mean, how stupid is it to be able to easily know who will win the love triangle because one of the females sang "My boyfriend is a pilot" ? How exactly is that okay at all? Oh, I'll just look at a previous macross show and look at the same scenes kawowari reused because of traditions and be able to easily predict what's going happen! Wow, amazing writing. Hayate reminded Mirage of his mother? Oh, that means Mirage is going to win. Don't make me laugh.

FlamingMangosSep 27, 2016 10:35 PM
Sep 27, 2016 11:20 PM

Sep 2010
Freyja reminded Hayate of his father and he was obsessed with his father, not his mother (who he barely saw). It was a dead parental complex again. :P
Sep 28, 2016 12:02 AM

Dec 2007
YK97 said:
To all the folks here, accoding to wikipedia which accorded to Berger, Lady M is Minmay.

I wonder which episode they put that in or the author on wikipedia just asspull that out.
It's hinted as an obvious possibility and probability, but was never confirmed in the series itself. Of course, if that's supposed to be her identity, then the backstory behind how she got to where she is, and what her goals are, would be extremely important. As such, that makes the show even less complete than it would be with some random no-name.
Sep 28, 2016 1:10 AM

Jun 2014
Brego1 said:
What a disappointment. As a final episode, it just regurgitated finales from Macross past with nothing new to add. Roids plan was exactly what Grace was planning in Frontier. Same kind of ending but less impressive animation and fighting choreography. Way to go Satelight!

The first half of the series was ok, bu the second half was an absolute clusterfuck. Kawamori should be embarrased to put the Macross name to that. At one point it seemed that a lot of characters were just talking to fill up the 24 minutes and get on to the next episode.

The members of the triangle were sorely underdeveloped and valuable screen time was wasted on fanservice characters like Makina or Reina who were only there to appeal to certain niches of the faptaku demographic. About the only character who felt properly developed was Kaname.

This, man. Much more time should have been spent on Freyja, Hayate and Mirage (oh she's a Jenius by the way so we are assuming you've all seen the previous series and know what that entail. Sayonara!). They were the main characters and as such should have gotten more lines and development, but I suppose they wanted to capitalize on the idol craze and give the other group members screen time to boos sales.

"Fapataku". LOL. Very appropiate. I'm gonna use that one now.
Sep 28, 2016 3:23 AM
Dec 2011
FlamingMangos said:
D-Joe said:

Its funny that you mention that since you have Neo mentioning both Mirage and traditions. I find it hilarious how anyone would try to justify tradition. It's poor writing. It's easily predictable while being limited in writing. I mean, how stupid is it to be able to easily know who will win the love triangle because one of the females sang "My boyfriend is a pilot" ? How exactly is that okay at all? Oh, I'll just look at a previous macross show and look at the same scenes kawowari reused because of traditions and be able to easily predict what's going happen! Wow, amazing writing. Hayate reminded Mirage of his mother? Oh, that means Mirage is going to win. Don't make me laugh.

So you still don't understand that it's bad writing show no matter how you defend it, and with or without "traditions" won't change this fact.
And more funny is you keep assume people hate this show now is because they want Mirage win which actually almost no one said that, are you still living in your dream?
Sep 28, 2016 4:32 AM
Aug 2016
D-Joe said:

So you still don't understand that it's bad writing show no matter how you defend it, and with or without "traditions" won't change this fact.
And more funny is you keep assume people hate this show now is because they want Mirage win which actually almost no one said that, are you still living in your dream?

I have a friend, who isn't as easy to please as me, having issues with the show, he's also lazy to join forums such as this so you will have to take my word about what he says . As much as how he loves HayaXFreFre, he cannot help but feel disappointed with the other aspects of the show especially the writing. Soooo, people having issues with the show does not = Mirage shippers. Because I will use myself as a reference again. I loved the show so much, gave it a 10, yet still found faults with it,I do love haya hayaX frefre ending. So what does that make me? Mirage shipper? Of course not.

D-Joe's point does not = Mirage shipping. The Freyja X Hayate shippers are too defensive about the show like Macross Delta is Freyja ship show only and that's all there is to it from their perspective. Like episode 1-26 is Freyja show. They probably ignored the fights and scripting and boosted points from anything that shows Hayate and Freyja moments. The show to them is probably Freyja love show instead of Macross Delta. Their arguments focuses around Freyja despite people like YK97 CLEARLY talking about many issues. He didn't scream where's my older women win. Please READ HIS POSTS.

In NeoRevan 's defence. He didn't say he wanted a Mirage win. Some people are clearly confused or otherwise about the tradition(is it older women win or what? cuz i don't know what defines macross tradition exactly.) And I have clearly stated the word macross tradition is a bad bullet because it instantly triggers the die hard FreyjaXHayate shippers definition of tradition, they probably see it as older woman win people are being salty and they go all out just to defend their precious ship. NeoRevan clearly talked about something else .

I don't stand against Freyja x Hayate ending. My first and favorite Macross was Frontier movies, followed by Frontier TV series then Delta ,and I naturally judged the characters and poof I hated Ranka for being annoying and I also didn't find her cute at all.(I have mentioned many times Freyja is the cutest macross girl and deserves to win more than Ranka because she is not as annoying as Ranka). I am a big gundam fan except for G wreckonguista or Disaster in G (that's what I would like to call G Reco or G Wrecko) as well as Gundam Age. LOVED IRON BLOODED ORPHANS THOUGH! Anyway moving back to Macross before I get out of hand, I know nothing about the scale of the turmoil between the younger or older girl shippers. However, I am not going to delude myself. I clearly see problems with Delta despite giving it a 10 for making me happy and liking it more than Frontier TV series. Die hard Freyja X Hayate shippers, not all critics bear ill will towards the Hayate X Freyja ending. Their words means something else. If you expect them to shut up about Delta if Mirage ended up winning this episode, you will see YK97 or L Ryouishi tearing up Delta badly to the power of 10 alright, hell i will tear it up to if mirage won with all that Freyja build up. I agree Fai's posts about tradition might make him look bad but the problems he speak of do exist as much as how I disagree with him about Delta being really horrible. Do read my macross delta review at the main page and hopefully it does put things in perspective.

I don't mind if my words doesn't cool the arguments or adds oil to the fire. I have stated my opinions and naturally opinions come under fire or receive praise.

~Giri Giri Ai Ikenai Borderline~
Hail Mikumo ^_^
alterzeroSep 28, 2016 5:22 AM
Sep 28, 2016 5:16 AM
Dec 2011
^Are you quoting wrong person?
Sep 28, 2016 5:28 AM
Aug 2016
D-Joe said:
^Are you quoting wrong person?

just helping you out in case someone tags you in as a Mirage shipper like poor NeoRevan whom you tried helping. I know NeoRevan got shot by mango and you got shot too >.>
alterzeroSep 28, 2016 5:31 AM
Sep 28, 2016 6:15 AM

May 2013
If the series is suffering from BAD (sometime people said it to be VERY BAD) writing, what cause of it?
is Kawamori drunk/got a syndrome (sorry, i didn't mean to insult the director). but really what is the root of the problem ????
atleast the ship sailed
- Frejya X Hayate
- Reina X Makina (lol)
Sep 28, 2016 7:20 AM
Aug 2014
All what Roid wanted is to achieve infinite tsukuyomi through the human instrumentality project.
Sep 28, 2016 9:19 AM
Oct 2010
Also anyone else crack up how they solved the missing sister sub plot in a 5 second ass pull LOL? Man I busted out laughing because when I saw the time on the episode I was like, if this is going to happen this girl has to appear out of NO WHERE.
Sep 28, 2016 9:20 AM

Mar 2016
alterzero said:
D-Joe said:

I have a friend, who isn't as easy to please as me, having issues with the show, he's also lazy to join forums such as this so you will have to take my word about what he says . As much as how he loves HayaXFreFre, he cannot help but feel disappointed with the other aspects of the show especially the writing. Soooo, people having issues with the show does not = Mirage shippers. Because I will use myself as a reference again. I loved the show so much, gave it a 10, yet still found faults with it,I do love haya hayaX frefre ending. So what does that make me? Mirage shipper? Of course not.

D-Joe's point does not = Mirage shipping. The Freyja X Hayate shippers are too defensive about the show like Macross Delta is Freyja ship show only and that's all there is to it from their perspective. Like episode 1-26 is Freyja show. They probably ignored the fights and scripting and boosted points from anything that shows Hayate and Freyja moments. The show to them is probably Freyja love show instead of Macross Delta. Their arguments focuses around Freyja despite people like YK97 CLEARLY talking about many issues. He didn't scream where's my older women win. Please READ HIS POSTS.

In NeoRevan 's defence. He didn't say he wanted a Mirage win. Some people are clearly confused or otherwise about the tradition(is it older women win or what? cuz i don't know what defines macross tradition exactly.) And I have clearly stated the word macross tradition is a bad bullet because it instantly triggers the die hard FreyjaXHayate shippers definition of tradition, they probably see it as older woman win people are being salty and they go all out just to defend their precious ship. NeoRevan clearly talked about something else .

I don't stand against Freyja x Hayate ending. My first and favorite Macross was Frontier movies, followed by Frontier TV series then Delta ,and I naturally judged the characters and poof I hated Ranka for being annoying and I also didn't find her cute at all.(I have mentioned many times Freyja is the cutest macross girl and deserves to win more than Ranka because she is not as annoying as Ranka). I am a big gundam fan except for G wreckonguista or Disaster in G (that's what I would like to call G Reco or G Wrecko) as well as Gundam Age. LOVED IRON BLOODED ORPHANS THOUGH! Anyway moving back to Macross before I get out of hand, I know nothing about the scale of the turmoil between the younger or older girl shippers. However, I am not going to delude myself. I clearly see problems with Delta despite giving it a 10 for making me happy and liking it more than Frontier TV series. Die hard Freyja X Hayate shippers, not all critics bear ill will towards the Hayate X Freyja ending. Their words means something else. If you expect them to shut up about Delta if Mirage ended up winning this episode, you will see YK97 or L Ryouishi tearing up Delta badly to the power of 10 alright, hell i will tear it up to if mirage won with all that Freyja build up. I agree Fai's posts about tradition might make him look bad but the problems he speak of do exist as much as how I disagree with him about Delta being really horrible. Do read my macross delta review at the main page and hopefully it does put things in perspective.

I don't mind if my words doesn't cool the arguments or adds oil to the fire. I have stated my opinions and naturally opinions come under fire or receive praise.

~Giri Giri Ai Ikenai Borderline~
Hail Mikumo ^_^

LOL, the statement with me, tearin up Delta with the power of ten. I'm actually writing a review on my laptop since yesterday night to close my thoughts on Delta. (Of course, I slept!)
Sep 28, 2016 9:21 AM

Mar 2016
GD1551 said:
Also anyone else crack up how they solved the missing sister sub plot in a 5 second ass pull LOL? Man I busted out laughing because when I saw the time on the episode I was like, if this is going to happen this girl has to appear out of NO WHERE.

Same... I was like "Oh she didn't die..." Oh well, she's not joining Messer. :( ROFL!
Sep 28, 2016 9:28 AM
Oct 2010
I also think Mikumo's singer has a really nice voice and the music style didn't really fit her strengths. When she was singing the song of the stars I was like like, damn, why didn't they use more of this? I heard she's a kid to, she has a pretty mature/powerful voice for that age. I feel that she constantly overwhelmed the others in the group unless she completely stopped singing.

It seems the writers either noticed this or facilitated it because they made her the main/best singer for the show.
Sep 28, 2016 9:43 AM

Mar 2016
GD1551 said:
I also think Mikumo's singer has a really nice voice and the music style didn't really fit her strengths. When she was singing the song of the stars I was like like, damn, why didn't they use more of this? I heard she's a kid to, she has a pretty mature/powerful voice for that age. I feel that she constantly overwhelmed the others in the group unless she completely stopped singing.

It seems the writers either noticed this or facilitated it because they made her the main/best singer for the show.

While she does have talent, she wasn't able to vary much of her voice and achieve good lows and highs. While the VA of Freyja didn't have a deep voice like her, she did however succeed on these criteria.
Sep 28, 2016 9:44 AM
Oct 2010
YK97 said:
GD1551 said:

While she does have talent, she wasn't able to vary much of her voice and achieve good lows and highs. While the VA of Freyja didn't have a deep voice like her, she did however succeed on these criteria.

Yeah, she def has time on her side though.
Sep 28, 2016 9:50 AM

Mar 2016
@GD1551 There's that but I was really surprise that she was only 15 year old. To be honest, I dislike her voice in the beginning since her voice tone the songs way too down for what they are going for. This was somehow fixed a little but still. My point rest on that. Her voice is too mature for pop songs. It would be more geared towards diva songs.
Sep 28, 2016 10:00 AM

Sep 2013
it was a good Macross anime but the songs didn't resonate as much as Macross 7 did and the ending felt a little rushed like there could have been way more.
Sep 28, 2016 10:09 AM

Aug 2014
This show went sub-Zero real fucking quick.

Still alright. Rather enjoyed the first half or so. Westside for life.
QuattroVaginasSep 28, 2016 10:17 AM
Sieg Zeon!
Sep 28, 2016 10:15 AM
Oct 2010
@YK97 yeah, that's why I mentioned she didn't seem to fit the songs they were going for, but her solo acts outside of that type were ace. The other big thing for me is that her voice is recognizable, it's like mayn or aimer, they won't get drowned out by another. I think that's going to be her strongest attribute in the future.
Sep 28, 2016 10:16 AM

Jul 2013
RainyViolet said:
Going to miss my weekly Walkure! They're just amazinggggg. Got some of the songs on my phone.

Show was iffy sometimes but overall pretty good. 6.5/10

Basically I agree with you, I only was interested because of the songs they done which made me wanted to watched it
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 28, 2016 10:25 AM

Mar 2016
DrFluffyUnicorn said:
it was a good Macross anime but the songs didn't resonate as much as Macross 7 did and the ending felt a little rushed like there could have been way more.

The singers are young compare to M7's singers which were slightly older. Life experience always shine out of a song with the emotions it carries.
Sep 28, 2016 10:42 AM

Sep 2015
Renaultclio101 said:
RainyViolet said:
Going to miss my weekly Walkure! They're just amazinggggg. Got some of the songs on my phone.

Show was iffy sometimes but overall pretty good. 6.5/10

Basically I agree with you, I only was interested because of the songs they done which made me wanted to watched it

Yeah, the music was easily the best part!
Sep 28, 2016 11:57 AM

Sep 2012
D-Joe said:
FlamingMangos said:

Oh, I understand Delta suffers from bad writing. Not once have I denied that. I also think traditions is bad writing which the people who talked about bad writing sees it in a positive way. If you read my posts, my main problem is tradition itself and how the people talking about the bad writing support it. Also, I know traditions won't change the show from being bad to good. I never said it would. Why would you think that? I know your english isn't the best so, I understand that you wouldn't be able to read properly.

I don't even know how you got this huge idea that I'm defending the show from the bad writing. You have a majority of people commenting how bad it is and where exactly do you see me defending it?
FlamingMangosSep 28, 2016 12:08 PM
Sep 28, 2016 7:41 PM
Dec 2011
Damn this messed up quote system.

So what are you doing here and keep talking about traditions this traditions that? Mirage win or lose won't change bad writing.
Sep 28, 2016 8:21 PM

Mar 2013
man what even the fuck was that

fuck it I got good music n cute frilly outfits n shit I'll take it.
Sep 28, 2016 8:38 PM

Mar 2016
D-Joe said:
Damn this messed up quote system.

So what are you doing here and keep talking about traditions this traditions that? Mirage win or lose won't change bad writing.

He's probably mad at Fai because of the quote on quote tradition
fst said:
man what even the fuck was that

fuck it I got good music n cute frilly outfits n shit I'll take it.

Damn son, you are easy to satisfy. :P
Sep 28, 2016 8:40 PM

Mar 2016
For those who wants to read my review, it's up in the review section. It's 2146 words and it took me about 3 nights. XD
Sep 28, 2016 9:32 PM
Sep 2016
This series really needed better writing but I feel that the ending is not as simple has Hayate X Freyja, it is a bit bittersweet. Freyja is developing that white scar that marks the beginning of the old age for the windermerians and they live only 30 years. King Gramia did not have those scars when he was 26. Freyja, on the other hand, is considerably younger. This means that even if she ended with Hayate she will not be with him for long. She will probably die young, even for windermerian standards. In the end this leaves the door open for Mirage.
Sep 28, 2016 9:41 PM
Aug 2016
YK97 said:
For those who wants to read my review, it's up in the review section. It's 2146 words and it took me about 3 nights. XD

It was like an Axis drop , really powerful. O.O
Sep 28, 2016 9:49 PM

Mar 2016
alterzero said:
YK97 said:

It was like an Axis drop , really powerful. O.O

OMG... Your compliment is killing me... xD

Anything do you want to discuss, to add, to criticize ? Oh btw, I sended you a friend request.
YK97Sep 28, 2016 10:03 PM
Sep 28, 2016 10:08 PM

Apr 2012
i really liked this show til before this ep
what a gross ending
Sep 28, 2016 10:29 PM

Mar 2016
YISUG said:
i really liked this show til before this ep
what a gross ending

We feel you, mate.
Sep 29, 2016 12:24 AM

Jun 2016
Delta really didn't surpass frontier. Music is really good but inferior to frontier. Lack of character developments. Hayate was really interesting with his unique fighting style (dancing) but he hasn't done anything noticeable.
We didn't know much about Mirage and Frejya beside Frejya just like to sing, mirage just like to fly and that was it....
Mikumo probably had the most character development and she isn't in part of love triangle lol.
Don't even get me start on side characters. Frontier even had better conclusion to side characters. First half of delta was promising then i feel like they rush it.
Sep 29, 2016 12:30 AM
Mar 2012
Frejya won, so im happy with that end. Also Elysion surfing & aether punch was fun.

Later half had some really good moments, like ep16. But from ep18 onward, too many backstories bunched at the end broke pacing to a drag. They're ok on their own, like merchant's Macrossverse review, Makina/Kaname past, all good, but why waste time on 2 past idols who left Walkure, more Messer after he long dead, and lots of redundant Mikumo mystery shots that add nothing.
Also retardedness of Nuns, their only purpose is cannon fodder. Lots of repetitive infiltration that always seems to go wrong & not achieve anything (besides the apply+water revelation), fights where nobody dies.
The Windermere side talks, apple man, false court did characterize the enemy more, rare for most shows to do so, tho dragged at times, it's still a nice direction.
Then the Frejya sings cause Hayate Var was never explained or clearly resolved, their awkwardness dragged on too long.

About awkward ships, H & Mirage failed with lack of screentime. Kaname & Arad were just weirdly silent with a distance. H & Mikumo had lots of lost potential from 3yr old thing, mysteries & comedy (see Hatsukoi Monster).
Makina x Reina best yuri ship, had multiple episodes on their backstory & relationship buildup, on par with the main ship. And Bogue approves, must save yuri with microtransactions & mech fights.

Delta's more jet fights than mechs, with some good songs, so not sure how it'd compare with normal mech shows. It's more sensible than G Reconguista. Active Raid s2 is much more entertaining & tighter in complex plot than Delta tho.
Sep 29, 2016 3:44 AM
The Destroyer.
Feb 2013
This has been a mess. I think the story was pretty decent but the execution terrible. I liked the connection to the previous Macross installments though. But... It gave me a taste of Guilty Crown + Aldnoah.Zero.

1. It was not even necessary for a band to exist. I mean to exist to the point of where most of the band characters have no development. Just Freyja and Mikumo were enough, maybe Kaname too. But the other two girls? There was nothing in them, just typical otaku stereotypes. I guess the creators did not want another Sheryl/Ranka comparison but at least those characters had development.

2. Most of the characters were so boring. Hayate himself even. He felt like the shounen lead 'who has to be there'. No personality whatsoever, even Heero from Gundam Wing has more personality than him. Mirage felt non-existent, just for the sake of the traditional 'love triangle'. The villains... Very typical. Roid was just a Grace from Macross Frontier recycle. And I did have expectations out of Mikumo, she was the only character I really cared in the show but she ended up Inori #2. A plot device where she really had no actual development except for one episode. Her whole 'she is a clone of an important figure' plot story should have been revealed episodes ago.

3. Plot holes. Way too many. Everyone wanted to know who Lady M is, but that is left for our... fantasy. Unless they are planning a sequel or something, for a stand-alone series like that, it is ridiculous. I cannot imagine how this would have been if it was 13 episodes + 1 movie. Overall the pace has been terrible. I can easily compare it to Aldnoah.Zero, it started the same and then it ended up with all those plot holes.

4. The ending. Very anti-climatic. I expected Makina to die. Mikumo went back to everyone like nothing really happened. No post-credits scenes either. Just nothing.

In the end, very disappointing. I have not watched any other Macross except Frontier, so I do not know how accurate the Macross history was in this one. Maybe it can get redeemed if they make a movies remake. I still liked the direction this Macross took but probably would have been better with 35 episodes or so.
BronyaSilverwingSep 29, 2016 3:49 AM
Sep 29, 2016 3:53 AM
Jul 2011
The singers becoming more important than the fighter pilots, the space nazi bishounen gang, the power of the shouta singing, the minimal amounts of dogfight...this show was doomed from the beginning.

About HxF I am kind of pleased...
Just because I don't want this jerk Hayate anywhere near my waifu Mirage, so good riddance!

And about who was first in the original Macross.
Technically the first contact was between Hikaru and Misa by the radio in the VF cockpit.
megaloadSep 29, 2016 5:38 AM
Sep 29, 2016 5:47 AM

Mar 2009
Last episode was more boring than the whole show I even skipped allot to much sinning and the love crap between Hayate & Freyja was just bleh.

At least Hikaru picked a more mature girl plus I find both Freyja and Minmay rely annoying then again I never been a fan of teen girls not even when I was at that age my self.

Also before any fanboys starts to piss there pants in anger because I don´t like Freyja remember not every one in the world has the same taste as you, if they did it world be a boring place to live in but who am I kidding fanboys are so narrow minded and always gets angry when people say they dislike what they love.

Shame the will be no more Macross I would have wanted to see a bit more what happen to Hikaru on SDF3 all I remember he saying it been an accident and that´s it. Heck would love to see a 12ep series with him as admiral and less sinning.

To be honest I remember the original series had less sinning than delta more action and drama but then again im found of the old series I grew up with them in the early 90s all these new series frontier (Frontier was okey but not gold) and delta don´t have the shame charm they feel more shallow.

I can understand why this shows not did any good it was more a series to younger people that´s more in to pop idols.

In the end this show was rushed and did not have the same charm for me at least. My conclusion is it was watchable but nothing to write home about.
SwordBreaker36Sep 29, 2016 5:52 AM
Sep 29, 2016 7:26 AM
Nov 2014
YK97 said:

The devs clearly dont want to put out a clear answer on who is she. whoever writes the wiki entry pull it out of hair... lol I just fully expect Lady M would sent a new character as reinforcement after the protection team is one men down, one that would spice up things in character relations and inject plot device explanation in place of the merchant to second half of the plot.
it is really sad the momentum of the show stalls big time in 2nd half.
I managed to get my hands on the two sound tracks, the over all quality is 8/10 for the tracks IMO.
I dont know why 僕らの戦場 is not the OP .... for being too ordinary good perhaps.
jackausSep 29, 2016 7:30 AM
Sep 29, 2016 2:26 PM
Mar 2016
What a way to end an anime, Hayate & Freyja flew towrds the empty skis, too bad Mirage got dumped....can I say that?
Sep 29, 2016 3:28 PM

Jun 2008
Macross Delta-isapointment

I really can't defend this anymore, Worst Macross series.

Also please, If people don't like this, don't just instantly blame it on "Shipping" or "traditions"
and then try to belittle them for having that opinion. That makes you more pathetic than actual trolls.

The only good thing that came out of this is the Songs. Any other aspect of this is a disappointment.
My personal biggest disappointment is with Mirage herself as a character. Why bother making her a Genius when that fact never had any impact on the story nor her character.
kaimaxSep 29, 2016 3:32 PM

Visit this blog That I'm working with my friend
http://randomnessthing.com/
Sep 29, 2016 3:48 PM

Jul 2013
kaimax said:

I really can't defend this anymore, Worst Macross series.

Also please, If people don't like this, don't just instantly blame it on "Shipping" or "traditions"
and then try to belittle them for having that opinion. That makes you more pathetic than actual trolls.

The only good thing that came out of this is the Songs. Any other aspect of this is a disappointment.
My personal biggest disappointment is with Mirage herself as a character. Why bother making her a Genius when that fact never had any impact on the story nor her character.

Agree but I felt the whole character except for Freyja were bland and uninspiring. For example the girls of the walkure, they didn't have much screen time and didn't give much of a background or personality
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 29, 2016 4:35 PM

Mar 2016
kaimax said:

Well, they had to catch the attention of older fans somehow hence making Mirage a Jenius.

As for the songs, it's more about personal taste. I find it to be mediocre while someone else might find it awesome. That's that.
Sep 29, 2016 6:57 PM

Oct 2011
Frontier had much better story and characters but the songs in this anime were OUTSTANDING!

Mirage, you are still my favorite. You don't need Hayate lol
Sep 30, 2016 1:08 AM
Nov 2014
kaimax said:

Yes I agree, the over all quality is FAR worst than F. Primary because the central triangle main characters is the worst in all series by character trait design from a writers point of view. The music is pretty good.
Why they ended up like that? Because the need to tailor for dumb down phone gaming short attention span generation? The biggest problem i had for character design is lack of depth and personal arc during the series.
Hayate's arc is little more than I now got a job I really like, and find out my dad is a good guy and real COOL, plus some girl just fall out of sky for me! The only part he actually Grows is from death of Messer, but show didnt give him the chance to skill up and man up, instead give him cheat codes drop from Freyja. Hence I saw little real change.

Next up is Mirage, perhaps one of the best character to write for in given her back plot, lots of interpersonal struggles, conflicts with others can be written and make her character arc with more depth, i would kill off Arad like how Focker is taken out and put the full weight of taking control of the team on Mirage if i am writing the plot.
Instead, she end up needing none of such back plot and can basically be any one and her arc still works.

Freyja is the most likable of the three in terms of appealing in visual design, primary because her innocence, she did have a growing up and pursuit her dreams arc much like Ranka get in F. But simple background, happy go lucky, innocent characters are basically easiest characters for any story, you cant go wrong with them from a writers point of view, hence playing it safe here is a disappointment. I would have her had some relation with Heinz, if not half sister or be friends since younger to add more conflict for her arc. (but i guess, this would be too complex for a lot of audience?)

The show currently stood at 6/10 level in IMDB shows audience disappointments to it.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » About this show's reputation and the endless "Frontier vs Delta" debate

ShadowMonkey - Aug 19, 2020

11 by Lucifrost »»
May 19, 6:14 PM

» Movie vs TV Series

Reshiram_IX - Jan 16, 2023

9 by donnascherer »»
Mar 16, 4:21 AM

Poll: » Macross Δ Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 31, 2015

447 by Zekkenshin »»
Jan 1, 10:09 PM

Poll: » Macross Δ Episode 23 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 4, 2016

35 by SilverCrono »»
Oct 17, 2022 9:10 AM

» Macross Delta underrated? ( 1 2 )

SaltyShoebill - Apr 26, 2016

66 by procion »»
Aug 31, 2022 12:51 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.