Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (20) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
Jul 1, 2016 11:11 AM
Mar 2012
byoushin said:
ya'll a bunch of whining kids.

the trailers/pvs showed what the animation was going to be like what did you expect?

did people think they would purposely advertise with animation worse than what was going to be in the show?

brb watching Naruto and getting upset because it has ninja

what a joke the anime community has become in regards to seasonal anime

Whole community are animation connoisseurs and CGI experts apparently.

badboy503Jul 1, 2016 11:22 AM
Jul 1, 2016 11:12 AM

Jul 2015
Fai said:
sensei69 said:
I actually didn't watch first episode yet. But I have to comment this unexplainable phenomena on MAL that automatically every anime done in 3D CG has to be considered bad. Even though I will have to agree that this CGI could be MUCH MUCH better, it is not that horrible that people would have to write reviews giving bad scores (1,2,3) when they only watched ONE episode.....
I don't understand that. I am also for "traditionaly" 2D animated Berserk by some eminent studio.... But, we didn't get that, so we should actually wait a couple of more episodes to see what will happen and then to make salty rants. And also, I saw PVs and their choosing of FPS is pretty discutable, but other than that and couple of other things CGI as a hole isn't AWFUL and HORRIBLE. This studio that is doing Berserk (2016) is pretty unfamiliar to me and probably to thousands and thousand of people. So, what we could've expected from this series after all? Let's just hope that sometime we will get a proper adaptation of that amazing manga and that our hearts will be fullfiled.

There's good CGi and then there's Berserk 2016.

I thought Knights of Sidonia and Ajin looked GREAT.

And Berserk 2016 makes me want to gouge my eyes out.

And bad CGI is least of this show's problems.

Well, as I said already, I didn't watch the first episode yet, and I agree with you that this CGI is far much worse than CGI in Ajin and Sidonia. As someone here said, CGI in Sidonia looked awesome because it's mecha and sci-fi and CGI synergises well in portratying robots, space ships etc. Also, you are one of few people that actually praised animation in Ajin. (the only thing that bothered me THAT MUCH in Ajin was low FPS in some situations) With my previous comment I just wanted to point out that some people on MAL are really annoying IMO with their reviews after one episode and all that hate. I also love Berserk manga, but I always want to wait a bit and see if something will change. And, also, as I can see, it seems like there will be a lot of skipping and probably the whole show will be rushed. But, as I said before, that's what we got when an amateur and unfamous studio gets rigths for such popular and awesome manga. Unfortunately, that's the case with this Berserk adaptation. :(

Jul 1, 2016 11:14 AM

Jan 2016
I found it funny how it went from a 8.83 score to a 7.58 in a couple of hours.
Jul 1, 2016 11:14 AM

Sep 2009
I'm more surprised how people are making badly written, rushed reviews already after just one episode...
Jul 1, 2016 11:15 AM

Apr 2008
sensei69 said:
I just wanted to point out that some people on MAL are really annoying IMO with their reviews after one episode and all that hate.

I'm pretty sure most of the people writing negative reviews knew they were going to hate the show but still chose to watch the first episode just so they could let the world know how clever they are for pointing out the bad CGI.
Jul 1, 2016 11:16 AM

Mar 2016
Is it naive that I just wanted this episode to start with Guts balls deep in a female apostle?
Life can be cruel and unfair. At worst it can traumatize and cripple you. The desire for wanting things to return to the way they were can cost everything and changes nothing. The best way is to keep moving forward, struggle on.
Anger can be powerful but can only get you so far. Let people into your life even if some of them leave you in time.

Fight. Like. Hell. For everything and everyone you love. Always.
Jul 1, 2016 11:17 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
I'm a huge fan of the Berserk manga which I have been faithfully collecting for over a decade. All 37 volumes sit on a place of honour on my bookshelf. I've come to accept the fact that Miura will probably never finish it because he's come way too far to begin to close the story. I don't even know if he intends too. But that's ok, because it's one magnificent ride.

This anime adaptation is sadly simply not good enough, at least in this first chapter. They're jumping all over the place with the story in order to get lots of characters in the show from the get go.

And the animation is abominable. Why o why cannot Berserk get a Madhouse or Ufo-Table? Hell, give me even Bones, Satelight, Deen.....anyone! Why did this particular studio get to do Berserk? They're a bunch of nobodies. And it showed. The CGI was an awful fit and the art was laughably bad at times.

Sad.

FarabeufJul 1, 2016 11:26 AM
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jul 1, 2016 11:17 AM

Mar 2013
RealCW said:
Is it naive that I just wanted this episode to start with Guts balls deep in a female apostle?

That was the real tragedy with this episode
Jul 1, 2016 11:19 AM

Jun 2015
The cgi ruins it. I think it's great when they show the lake of blood and the evil spirits, but it looks horrible on guts.
Jul 1, 2016 11:19 AM

Aug 2013
Maaan that episode was rough to get through. I already knew they were going to skip my favorite arc (lost children arc) but it's still rough to actually see. And the animation and CGI is horrible. I thought it'd at least have decent hand drawn stuff but it looks like complete garbage 99% of the time. https://i.imgur.com/u9s0avn.jpg

Don't know why they want to rush through the story it's just stupid. Only positive I can think of are the music.

If I wasn't a Berserk fanboy I would give it a 1/5 for sure.
HaytinJul 1, 2016 11:27 AM
Jul 1, 2016 11:20 AM

Apr 2008
Farabeuf said:
I'm a huge fan of the Berserk manga which I have been faithfully collecting for over a decade. All 37 volumes sit on a place of honour on my bookshelf.

Oh awesome. Thanks for letting us know. I'll let my friends and family know too so everyone can understand that your opinion must be more valid because you're a super cool beans Berserk fan. Hopefully no one else posts with a bigger collection or I'll need to take their opinion more seriously than yours.
Mar 2008
Hm.............. i dont know. They surely went the "Ajin" route (dont come to me and claim that i must have seen the trailer. I DIDN'T since i dont like to spoiler myself) and..........that looked somewhat weak.
Now, when it comes to the action, that was awesome. When it comes to Guts himself, he is the badass. But when it comes to the animation........its kinda weird. First of all, sure it is, what i like to call, 2.5D and even in Ajin...........that wasnt all that appealing to look at. But for some weird reason (and it could very well be that i saw it wrong) the producers seem to use full 2D desings in some parts. But mostly its that 2.5D and.......it looks a bit worse than in Ajin. This even tho the action was badass.
But talking about being badass, the music overall is badass. Yet.............everything about it didnt felt like Berserk but more a typical shounen Anime that desperately wants to be dark and badass. I dont know, i dont see Berserk in it when it comes to the music.
Another little problem is that fairy. Yeah, it was in the Manga (that much i know, even tho i never red it) and the fairy itself was ok until now, whats disturbs me is when the fairy goes full chibi-face. Being very dark and serious of an Anime like Berserk, those chiibi-faces felt really out of place.
But overall, this is Berserk so of course it wants to be watched by me.

Jul 2015
byoushin said:
sensei69 said:
I just wanted to point out that some people on MAL are really annoying IMO with their reviews after one episode and all that hate.

I'm pretty sure most of the people writing negative reviews knew they were going to hate the show but still chose to watch the first episode just so they could let the world know how clever they are for pointing out the bad CGI.

Well, we could also say that probably. You have the point, bro. :)
I guess that I just didn't expect anything from this studio so I am really surprised that some people actually expected a blockbuster hit. Well, according to the comments, I am sure that this is definitely not gonna be my favourite show of this season, but I don't plan to judge people who actually like this.

Jul 1, 2016 11:21 AM

Mar 2016
Farabeuf said:
I'm a huge fan of the Berserk manga which I have been faithfully collecting for over a decade. All 37 volumes sit on a place of honour on my bookshelf. I've come to accept the fact that Miura will probably never finish it because he's come way too far to begin to close the story. I don't even know if he intends too. But that's ok, because it's one magnificent ride.

This anime adaptation is sadly simply not good enough, at least in this first chapter. They're jumping all over the place with the story in order to get lots of characters in the show from the get go.

And the animation is abominable. Why o why cannot Berserk get a Madhouse or Ufo-Table? Hell, give me even Bones, Satelight, Deen.....anyone! Why did this particular studio get to do Berserk? They're a bunch of nobodies. And it showed. The CGI was an awful fit and the art was laughably bad at times.

Sad.

I'll watch all of this because Iove Berserk and

I can't really agree that Berserk is some psudo-eternal series like any of the Big 3 of shonen (One Piece, Naruto, and Bleach), there is a clear setup and narrative happening.

It's gone super slow since Guts and crew have set sail, but, if I had to guess its percentage, I'd put it around 65% or more done.

He does plan to finish it, is what I'm saying.
Life can be cruel and unfair. At worst it can traumatize and cripple you. The desire for wanting things to return to the way they were can cost everything and changes nothing. The best way is to keep moving forward, struggle on.
Anger can be powerful but can only get you so far. Let people into your life even if some of them leave you in time.

Jul 1, 2016 11:22 AM

Mar 2016
byoushin said:
Farabeuf said:
I'm a huge fan of the Berserk manga which I have been faithfully collecting for over a decade. All 37 volumes sit on a place of honour on my bookshelf.

Oh awesome. Thanks for letting us know. I'll let my friends and family know too so everyone can understand that your opinion must be more valid because you're a super cool beans Berserk fan. Hopefully no one else posts with a bigger collection or I'll need to take their opinion more seriously than yours.

Nice job cutting off the rest of what they had to say, to make it seem like their introduction and familarity with Berserk was just some ego-trip and not setting up why they think the way they do; that you cut from your quote.

Nice try, kid. Go troll somewhere else.

Jul 2015
all those 1/10 reviews lol
but they are right , fuck this shit

Jan 2014
The CG was kinda weird (half CG half handrawn?). Gave up hope for a solid Berserk adaptation a while back, so in terms of what I was expecting, this is definitely watchable. Not amazing, but watchable.
Jul 1, 2016 11:23 AM
Dec 2013
Delete this fucking abomination from the internet, please god Berserk doesn't need this. I hope the game is good.
Jul 1, 2016 11:23 AM
Feb 2015
At least michael jackson....... whoops i mean casca, looks cuter than before now xD Lmfao
Jul 1, 2016 11:25 AM

Feb 2008
This atrocious and shitty anime adaptation doesn't deserve your (precious) time; just go and read the epic manga with panels so full of glorious vivid details it will bring this magnificent saga alive without the need of any animation.
Jul 1, 2016 11:26 AM
Mar 2012
RealCW said:
byoushin said:

Nice job cutting off the rest of what they had to say, to make it seem like their introduction and familarity with Berserk was just some ego-trip and not setting up why they think the way they do; that you cut from your quote.

Nice try, kid. Go troll somewhere else.

How old are you, to be calling other people kid? lol?
Jul 1, 2016 11:26 AM

Mar 2014
pretty cool 24mins game trailer
Jul 1, 2016 11:27 AM

Jul 2015
lin000 said:
The CG was kinda weird (half CG half handrawn?). Gave up hope for a solid Berserk adaptation a while back, so in terms of what I was expecting, this is definitely watchable. Not amazing, but watchable.

Actually, as one of my friends explained to me, they tried to make animation to look like handrawn, but is actually whole done on computer in CG. So, that's the reason why we got this a little bit messy look.

Jul 1, 2016 11:27 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
byoushin said:
Farabeuf said:

Having a bad day mate?

Try to keep your eye on the ball and not on the man.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jul 1, 2016 11:29 AM

Apr 2015
Well all I can do now is watch it cras-...burn and turn into a huge pile of ash that will be forgotten forever.

And maybe make a drinking game out of it.
Jul 1, 2016 11:31 AM

Apr 2013
why must one of the greatest Japanese story told by this medium be butchered over and over again? why cant anyone do a faithful adaptation with a good budget and give us an epic anime that would probably be considered a masterpiece due to the og material? ffs japan
Jul 1, 2016 11:32 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
RealCW said:
Farabeuf said:

Sad.

I'll watch all of this because Iove Berserk and

I can't really agree that Berserk is some psudo-eternal series like any of the Big 3 of shonen (One Piece, Naruto, and Bleach), there is a clear setup and narrative happening.

It's gone super slow since Guts and crew have set sail, but, if I had to guess its percentage, I'd put it around 65% or more done.

He does plan to finish it, is what I'm saying.

You make a very valid point. I do not doubt that that is indeed his intention to complete the story, but unless he really starts cutting corners storywise (or goes back to regular monthly releases) I simply cannot see him finishing it less than a decade. He and George Martin should have their own little support group where they compare angry correspondence from fans :-)

Jul 1, 2016 11:34 AM
Mar 2012
Farabeuf said:
byoushin said:

Having a bad day mate?

Try to keep your eye on the ball and not on the man.

Id say its more due to kids shit posting about cgi when they have no idea where it was used or what its use does lol
Jul 1, 2016 11:35 AM
Jul 2018
RealCW said:
Jirash said:
It would be great if they did it in a similar way as the previous movies.

1000x NO.

If you thought Studio 4c did a better job, you are simply insane. Those were the worst adaptations I have ever seen.

And I'm pretty sure that the fact you don't like it doesn't mean I'm insane and have to dislike it too...
Stop criticizing every opinion you didn't agree to, geez.
Jul 1, 2016 11:37 AM
Sep 2012
You guys are so salty. I think it's pretty good considering they drew it in paint.
Jul 1, 2016 11:37 AM

Jun 2007
You guys are being ridiculous. Specially those writing a review after just ONE episode. MAL should lock the review part until at least 50% of the episodes have aired. This is just idiotic.

What did you expect? CGI always sucked and will suck for ever. But you act like you didnt know it would look like this.
And just because its called "anime" it doesnt mean that animation is everything.
Feels like DBS all over again.

As for the skipped parts, so what? Whining isnt going to change anything.
Either accept what was given to us (since Im pretty sure everyone here is paying a lot of money to watch anime) or dont.
Jul 1, 2016 11:38 AM

Jun 2014
Badass said:
I don't remember Guts vomit in the manga. Why did he vomit when killing a girl? When he already went through many battlefield. I guess he vomits to his own series adaptation xD

He did vomit in the manga, that was adapted correctly :D. One of the few parts that were correct.
Jul 1, 2016 11:38 AM

Apr 2013
Lennevalkyrie said:
peoples expectations are just too high.
Lennevalkyrie said:
Lennevalkyrie said:
Lennevalkyrie said:
Lennevalkyrie said:

shouldn't they be? probably one of the greatest manga ever that hasn't received a single good adaptation yet.
Jul 1, 2016 11:41 AM

Mar 2016
Jirash said:
RealCW said:

1000x NO.

If you thought Studio 4c did a better job, you are simply insane. Those were the worst adaptations I have ever seen.

And I'm pretty sure that the fact you don't like it doesn't mean I'm insane and have to dislike it too...
Stop criticizing every opinion you didn't agree to, geez.

You're right. I apologize for my remark... but, man, I cannot help it when it comes that that trilogy.

I watched all three wanting to love them and was beyond just a shoddy adaptation, it was downright insulting writing, and I simply could not believe any sort of fans were defending it in any way.

It's the same thing everyone is hating on now here with his new one, "WELL, IT'S BETTER THAN NOTHING."

Why do it at all if you're going to do it incorrectly? Oh, those series of movies just irk me in the worst kind of ways.

Jul 1, 2016 11:41 AM
Sep 2013
Arse said:
Can't believe noone but myself is mentioning the zoom in. Am I the only weird one ? I felt claustrophobic throughout the whole episode. It amazes me how noone else noticed.

Not just the zoom. The whole direction is a disaster. The camera shakes and randomly changes angles, and the pacing made it even more disastrous. It looked like they had no idea what they were doing.
rodryguezzzJul 1, 2016 11:46 AM
Jul 1, 2016 11:42 AM
Jul 2018
http://imgur.com/a/Y33OS
Take that, Subaru.
Jul 1, 2016 11:43 AM

May 2015
The CGI looked decent in the OP. I quite liked it.

I can't really complain about it on the show itself, but the camera moved so much, it is the first time that watching an anime makes me feel dizzy...
Jul 1, 2016 11:43 AM

Jan 2015
It's rating - 7.58, ranked #12 = WTF??????????
Jul 1, 2016 11:44 AM

Jun 2014
Gao481 said:
CG isn't inherently bad and it's actually more expensive and harder than hand drawn, but people like to cut corners and this is why the anime looks so bad.

As an adaptation, it wasn't too bad since nothing important was actually changed

What ? Are you insane ? A LOT OF THINGS HAVE BEEN CHANGED. We are skipping like 2-3 arcs. If you say that nothing important has changed than, I don't know what to tell you.
Jul 1, 2016 11:46 AM

Apr 2013
The irony is one of the best looking manga gets one of the worst looking anime...

Anyways, the rearranging/skipping didn't bother me too much so I did kinda enjoy the episode. Guts' voice actor is good and while I'm no fan of the music it definitely fits. Now, the fact that they showed the witch's cove was the most interesting thing of the episode. This adaptation could cover more than I initially thought...
5 main aspects I base my ratings on:
1. Did DramaEnthusiast make a thread about it?
2. Is it better than Breaking Bad?
3. Did MellowJello recommend the shit out of it?
4. Has it caused a (very entertaining) shitstorm on MAL?
5. Is it actually good?

Scratch the fifth point, it's not very relevant...
Jul 1, 2016 11:46 AM

Jan 2009
Oh god this does not bode well.
The story is all over the place, skipping things and mixing events that have nothing do with each other and characters popping up where/when they shouldn't.
It looks good now and then, but the rest is just shitty.
Atleast the soundtrack seems to be okay, but that's not really gonna save this trainwreck.

I've been waiting over a decade for this and I just wanted it to be good...
Sigh atleast I can still look forward to the Berserk Warriors game. I will be amazed, if they somehow managed screw that up.

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Jul 1, 2016 11:48 AM

Sep 2014
Vacu0us said:
people are either going to love or hate this

I was getting quite a game like vibe from this

Indeed, a PS2 game from 15 years ago.

As much as I love Berserk, got my neck tattoo and everything, this was pretty disappointing to say the least
Jul 1, 2016 11:49 AM

Dec 2015
they want to use bad CG ok. but they could have been at least faithful to the manga. Urgh how the shots have been taken was awful.
Even though we were expecting the bad animation, i'm still disappointed because it's even worse than the trailers and the teaser.
Jul 1, 2016 11:50 AM
Feb 2016
Only one thing to say, stopped at min 4 because of the animation......
Jul 1, 2016 11:51 AM

Apr 2015
Jesus. Not even the hand drawn OP is spared from this treatment.

Jul 1, 2016 11:51 AM
Sep 2015
El 3D es bastante malo, hay movimientos y posturas que se ven realmente poco naturales, incluso con algunos "errores" diría, creo que incluso las escenas de combate no están del todo bien logradas, no pudieron darle la potencia y fuerza que quisieron, ni lograron tampoco dar dramatismo cuando hizo falta, sin embargo el capitulo tiene tomas realmente buenas cuando va hacia la animación tradicional aunque prácticamente se utiliza para primeros planos de rostros, por otro lado es verdad, la única manera de ver todo lo que falta del manga animado quizá sea ésta, quizá la obra maestra de Berserk no se merezca este trato. Disculpas por lo extenso de mi critica hacia el capitulo
Jul 1, 2016 11:52 AM

Jan 2014
dayum, guts is such an edgelord
Proud founder of The Official Anti-Ging Freecss Fan Club Join now!
Kellhus said:
GuusWayne said:
there is a limit to the suspension of disbelief

And it's the fan that did it. Not the smoking porn reading rubik cube genius rape ape with a magic boat.
Jul 1, 2016 11:54 AM
Jul 2018
Fairbrook said:
Vacu0us said:
people are either going to love or hate this

I was getting quite a game like vibe from this

Indeed, a PS2 game from 15 years ago.

Nah, looks a lot like Valkyria Chronicles. Maybe that's why I like it.
Jul 1, 2016 11:55 AM

Oct 2013
Sega saturn graphics lmao! Wit studio needs to take control of Berserk.
Jul 1, 2016 11:56 AM
Apr 2014

I was expecting nothing and still watched it because i'm a fan of the manga.

BUT HOLLY SHIT THIS ANIMATION !
I liked Aijin, I liked Sidonia, most of the time i don't care about animation/drawning but this is so bad :(

And skipping 2 whole arc, WHY ?!
Pages (20) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Berserk Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 16, 2016

185 by Bird88882227 »»
Oct 1, 10:41 AM

Poll: » Berserk Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 9, 2016

82 by Bird88882227 »»
Sep 30, 3:17 PM

Poll: » Berserk Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 2, 2016

61 by Bird88882227 »»
Sep 29, 10:32 AM

Poll: » Berserk Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 26, 2016

95 by Bird88882227 »»
Sep 28, 4:32 PM

Poll: » Berserk Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 5, 2016

145 by Bird88882227 »»
Sep 27, 2:31 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.