Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jun 3, 2016 9:40 PM

Nov 2015
The characters. Slice of Life is basically normal everyday life for the characters so they have to be likable or at least easy to relate to.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 4, 2016 1:28 AM

May 2015
Agrestis said:
Originality is the only objective measure of quality. If something is not original, it isn't good--simple. Then the reason to watch any anime is to see if it's original or not, which can only be deduced by watching other anime. If you're watching anime for entertainment or feelings or whatever: fine--but don't pretend you take this seriously, you don't.

And how do you mean 'original'? What about an anime that takes familiar archetype, but tries to get exactly right what makes them good?
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Jun 4, 2016 1:29 AM

Apr 2013
It completely depends on how much of a loser you are, plain and simple
It is so dense. Every single image has so many things going on.
Jun 4, 2016 3:00 AM

Oct 2011
They are often lighthearted and atmospheric, which enhances the watching experience. Often focuses on character interactions and relatable daily life situations
Jun 4, 2016 11:31 AM

Nov 2013
If it has some dank plot twist that turns the anime into a psychological thriller.

Jun 4, 2016 11:32 AM

May 2014
I find most of them bland and tropey, so IMO the best way to make slice of life worth watching is for the humour to be on-point.
Jun 4, 2016 5:55 PM

Oct 2015
Diuturnus said:
It completely depends on how much of a loser you are, plain and simple

Here's your reply

CrustyRolls said:
I find most of them bland and tropey, so IMO the best way to make slice of life worth watching is for the humour to be on-point.

tropes=/=cliches

And most genres suffer from shows with cliche archetypes and such
Jun 4, 2016 5:58 PM

Mar 2016
Characters and their chemistry I suppose. There's a bit to resonate with everyone individually.

Click the banner for anime lists, discussions, reviews, and let's plays!
Jun 5, 2016 5:43 AM

Dec 2012
Well there's no doubt that some of them are just relaxing and fun, such as cute girls doing cute things, but the main reason slice of life has become one of my favorite genres is because of the life lessons that come with it. I can relate to a character's everyday circumstances while also seeing it from their perspective as opposed to my own. It's like living multiple lives and using what I learn from them to improve my own.
Jun 5, 2016 8:13 AM

May 2015
BlueKite said:
They are often lighthearted and atmospheric, which enhances the watching experience. Often focuses on character interactions and relatable daily life situations

What about Mushishi and Kino's Journey? The former is pretty serious, and the I heard the latter is pretty serious. Or are they exceptions?

I wonder why most SOL lean towards the light-hearted side.
Jun 5, 2016 8:22 AM

Nov 2015
Slice of life is Lucky Star or Nichijou. Those are pure slice of life shows with maybe some plot somewhere in there but not enough to detract from the episodic happenings that slice of life is based around. That's how I think it is anyways, and I think that's what makes them enjoyable.
Jun 5, 2016 8:32 AM

Oct 2011
TheBrainintheJar said:
BlueKite said:

What about Mushishi and Kino's Journey? The former is pretty serious, and the I heard the latter is pretty serious. Or are they exceptions?

They both are atmospheric at times. As for lightheartedness, they can be found at moments when Kino and Ginko are just wandering around, observing nature before a conflict arises. Since both of their premises are unique, I do think that they can be considered as an exception since they try to be something more.

Slice-of-life is really a broad concept since it can be about school girls doing mundane stuff and it can also be about supernatural or sci-fi dealing with psychological/philosophical themes. The general idea is that you transform something that is of normal occurrence into something interesting and dynamic. Promoting an atmosphere of lightheartedness is one effective way to do it so.
Jun 5, 2016 8:32 AM

Oct 2015
TheBrainintheJar said:
BlueKite said:

It's because a big appeal of SOL anime for a lot of people is escapism. It's easier to "escape" into a fictional setting when that setting is relaxing and light-hearted.

I personally watch SOL partly for that escapism aspect, but also for the character interactions and comedy present in a lot of them.
Jun 5, 2016 8:53 AM

Jul 2015
The atmosphere and the daily life of the characters. Well, as long as their lifes are represented not in a supernatural-magic-fantasy way.
Jun 5, 2016 9:00 AM

Aug 2014
If the characters are interesting, likeable in its own way and fun to watch..
Of course the story should be good as well.
The Newbie Club , Kurakumi
Yesterday had passed, Today have arrived, Tomorrow has yet to come
~Kaihaku_Reki~
Jun 5, 2016 10:50 AM

Jun 2014
I personally think that they're worth watching because we can relate to it more as humans, and probably learn a thing or two from them. It's also more into the characters' bonds and plot which gives the entertainment.
I usually drop slice of life animes because sometimes they're too cliché, predictable, and cheesy.
Jun 5, 2016 11:03 PM

Jan 2016
peace of mind. brighten your moods.

Unless it has dark humor in it. :/
"The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply." - Unknown
Jun 5, 2016 11:12 PM

May 2015
the atmosphere and character interactions are the best parts of sols but ofc, fluid and interesting animation helps to maintain peak of interest and enjoyment as well

if its name is Pan de Peace, it's worth dropping -_-
Freddy Nicholas said:
have control, be yourself, god is dead
Jun 6, 2016 1:59 AM

Nov 2009
Yugane said:
I personally think that they're worth watching because we can relate to it more as humans, and probably learn a thing or two from them. It's also more into the characters' bonds and plot which gives the entertainment.
I usually drop slice of life animes because sometimes they're too cliché, predictable, and cheesy.

Predictability is a good thing in a SoL. It helps you relax, because there is no shocking twist hiding behind the corner.
Jun 6, 2016 6:00 AM

Jun 2014
flannan said:

Predictability is a good thing in a SoL. It helps you relax, because there is no shocking twist hiding behind the corner.

I enjoy surprises and plot-twists more, though. Of course, sometimes predictability is nice, but I wouldn't enjoy it if the anime is 20+ episodes long and the events are mostly predictable. It would really get me bored.
Jun 6, 2016 6:07 AM

Dec 2015
Characters are like 60% of a SOL anime for me. If a SOL has boring characters, it will be really hard to watch.
A nice relaxing atmosphere like Non Non Biyori or Flying Witch is great too

flannan said:

I totally agree with that. I watch slice of life because i know it's going to be peaceful, relaxing, and nothing bad will happen. If i want unpredictability, drama and epic plot twists i'll watch something else.
Jun 6, 2016 6:11 AM

Aug 2013
No annoying characters, "cute" girls, and a story about a slice of someones (or many peoples) exciting and or funny life. Preferably no normal life and shit, but that can be good if it's well made(usually no one wants to watch that...)
Jun 6, 2016 6:24 AM

May 2015
Lobinde said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

It's because a big appeal of SOL anime for a lot of people is escapism. It's easier to "escape" into a fictional setting when that setting is relaxing and light-hearted.

I personally watch SOL partly for that escapism aspect, but also for the character interactions and comedy present in a lot of them.

Strongly disagree about the escapist thing. I find SOL anime too relying on characters for that. Sometimes they're almost psychological. I don't so much escape to a relaxing setting as I'm observing people, their flaws and their quirks.

BlueKite said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

They both are atmospheric at times. As for lightheartedness, they can be found at moments when Kino and Ginko are just wandering around, observing nature before a conflict arises. Since both of their premises are unique, I do think that they can be considered as an exception since they try to be something more.

Slice-of-life is really a broad concept since it can be about school girls doing mundane stuff and it can also be about supernatural or sci-fi dealing with psychological/philosophical themes. The general idea is that you transform something that is of normal occurrence into something interesting and dynamic. Promoting an atmosphere of lightheartedness is one effective way to do it so.

I haven't watched Kino, but I'd hardly call Mushishi lighthearted. There's a persisting atmosphere of uneasiness there. It's about how nature is out of our control and bigger than us.
TheBrainintheJarJun 6, 2016 6:46 AM
Jun 6, 2016 6:29 AM

Dec 2015
Yugane said:

I enjoy surprises and plot-twists more, though. Of course, sometimes predictability is nice, but I wouldn't enjoy it if the anime is 20+ episodes long and the events are mostly predictable. It would really get me bored.

That seems like a weird thing to expect in SOL anime. It's like saying that you get bored of romance anime if there's no action in it. There are hardly "events" in SOL anime to begin with, let alone unpredictable ones.
As for being boring, the interest of SOL is not in its plot twists, and a lot SOL manage to stay interesting for a long time although nothing happens. K-On was 36 episodes of nothing happening, except a few concerts and the graduation, yet a third season would still sell like hotcakes. Non Non Biyori managed to do a second season that was basically a repeat of the first season (predictability 100%) and yet it was just as good, if not better than the first season. Yuru Yuri after three seasons is still as interesting, Nichijou was 26 episodes and could have gone for a much longer time....

To me, Slice of Life is in fact the best genre for long-running shows, because contrary to plot-driven shows, you don't need to artificially stretch your story, or add multiple useless arcs to prevent the story from reaching its goal too fast. You're not waiting for anything to happen, so you won't get frustrated by the time it takes.

TheBrainintheJar said:

Strongly disagree about the escapist thing. I find SOL anime too relying on characters for that. Sometimes they're almost psychological. I don't so much escape to a relaxing setting as I'm observing people, their flaws and their quirks.

Well i don't see how you can disagree with the reason why he watches SOL, since he has stated that it's his personal opinion. He didn't say that everyone who watches SOL do it for the same reason.
I also watch it mainly as a form of escapism, because it's a great way of relaxing in a nice atomsphere without anything negative happening.
YarrowiaJun 6, 2016 6:33 AM
Jun 6, 2016 9:39 AM

Jul 2015
Add me to the list of people who love it for the escapism~

Having something with a calm atmosphere and little to no drama, suspense is really nice once in a while. Life can be stressful sometimes and you need something to relax and put the mind at ease. SoL anime does that for me very well.

SoL also tends to be VERY character focused, and I'm someone who gets attached to characters more than the story 8 or 9 times outta 10. I'm not saying other genres aren't character focused, but SoL is definitely up there when it comes to that.
Jun 6, 2016 9:45 AM
Apr 2016
it should had the 'feels' and the happy and sad aspects of life and also it should not end like usagi drop manga where the mc (f***) marry his adopted daughter
Jun 6, 2016 9:47 AM

Feb 2015
immersive and character development. That's what makes it 'slice of life'
Jun 6, 2016 9:48 AM

Jul 2015
maybe some interesting characters / great visuals
because the plot will suck anyway
Jun 6, 2016 10:15 AM

Jun 2014
Yarrowia said:

That seems like a weird thing to expect in SOL anime. It's like saying that you get bored of romance anime if there's no action in it. There are hardly "events" in SOL anime to begin with, let alone unpredictable ones.
As for being boring, the interest of SOL is not in its plot twists, and a lot SOL manage to stay interesting for a long time although nothing happens. K-On was 36 episodes of nothing happening, except a few concerts and the graduation, yet a third season would still sell like hotcakes. Non Non Biyori managed to do a second season that was basically a repeat of the first season (predictability 100%) and yet it was just as good, if not better than the first season. Yuru Yuri after three seasons is still as interesting, Nichijou was 26 episodes and could have gone for a much longer time....

To me, Slice of Life is in fact the best genre for long-running shows, because contrary to plot-driven shows, you don't need to artificially stretch your story, or add multiple useless arcs to prevent the story from reaching its goal too fast. You're not waiting for anything to happen, so you won't get frustrated by the time it takes.

Well, you have a point. A SOL/Comedy pairing is great enough without expecting plot twists and the such.
But there are some SOL animes mixed with certain genres that are able to pull such things. I think it's nice when you don't know the outcome of a battle the character is getting into, like they end up losing when you thought for sure that they're going to win. Only the little things like that, I'm not really expecting anything completely off-track.
I prefer having SOL animes that give you motivational messages and life lessons, along with little surprises (like GTO and Colorful), so I don't think I'm entirely wrong there.
Jun 7, 2016 12:35 AM

May 2015
Yarrowia said:
Yugane said:

TheBrainintheJar said:

Well i don't see how you can disagree with the reason why he watches SOL, since he has stated that it's his personal opinion. He didn't say that everyone who watches SOL do it for the same reason.
I also watch it mainly as a form of escapism, because it's a great way of relaxing in a nice atomsphere without anything negative happening.

I don't care how personal your opinion is. I care about why you have it. If I don't question my opinions or others, I'm not learning.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Anime that one really likes that would likely suck if they suddenly started a continuation

ColourWheel - Yesterday

13 by rohan121 »»
5 minutes ago

» Favorite anime YouTube channel

ani2016 - 1 hour ago

2 by rohan121 »»
12 minutes ago

» Would you watch a gender swapped version of One piece?

RedTea33 - Jun 21

20 by TsutanaiFuun »»
19 minutes ago

» If you could do one major change in an Anime, what would it be?

MoshiMochi43 - Yesterday

26 by rohan121 »»
20 minutes ago

Poll: » Is there a correlation between not liking spicy food, and liking bad anime? ( 1 2 )

Nyron - Jun 22

75 by Gary101 »»
20 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.