Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jan 24, 2016 3:07 AM

Jan 2015
Holy shit I fucking love Kuon, as always she was nice, she's just a qt
Haku sad 'cause he couldn't save the two kids in war, but guess he's cheered up a little
Why that guy gotta paint his face white though?
YOO THE GIRLS HAD TO WITNESS THE MEN FULLY NAKED, SAW DICKS AND SHIT "look at all the danglies" "Kiuru's one is the cutest" LOL FUCKING ROASTED
Kuon punched Haku's dick, my condolences.
Overall an enjoyable episode. 4/5
Some body modification shit in the next episode
Jan 24, 2016 3:43 AM

Jul 2014
Fai said:
LoneWolf said:
Filler episode filled with fujoshit, not surprised.

Character development =/= Filler

That is definitely true in this case, but only because there is no character development of any kind in this episode. It's just plain filler, nothing more and nothing less. It baffles me that you so vehemently defend episodes like this and essentially say that anyone who doesn't like it is a moron who is wearing nostalgia goggles (though you only prefer this to the original because you didn't like Eruuruu, as far as I can tell).

Just had to get that off my chest, as it's been bothering me for ages now.
Jan 24, 2016 4:43 AM
Jan 2016
Haku, that is not a war. it is like going to the forest and step on army of ants and go back home. calling that PTSS. What a ridiculous story line, the writer want us to feel the horror war, but i just LOL.
Jan 24, 2016 4:45 AM
Jan 2016
Plutia said:
Wtf am I watching???
Poor Kuon.. xD[/spoiler]

is it possible human dick is bigger and longer than cat people? she saw it before, why act surprise? poor japanese screen writing.
Jan 24, 2016 5:49 AM

Sep 2014
Poor twins got tied up.
That manservice holy crap o.O, Rurutie KO-ed instantly as expected ^^
"Look at all the danglies" "Kiuru's the cutest one" Oh Shinonon ..xD
Kuon's reaction was fuckin' priceless, RiP Haku's dong.
Really fun episode.
The hell was that preview lol.
Jan 24, 2016 7:28 AM

Dec 2015
nerfx said:
Poor twins got tied up.
That manservice holy crap o.O, Rurutie KO-ed instantly as expected ^^
"Look at all the danglies" "Kiuru's the cutest one" Oh Shinonon ..xD
Kuon's reaction was fuckin' priceless, RiP Haku's dong.
Really fun episode.
The hell was that preview lol.

Probably next week episode is gonna be confusing for people who didn't watch season 1.
Jan 24, 2016 7:34 AM

Jun 2013
guess we're back to boring sol shit again
Jan 24, 2016 7:52 AM

Sep 2015
Fai said:
danieltortoisee said:

Seems more like more people prefer the 2006 Utawarerumono actually. Hell, I know I prefer it to this one by a long shot.

Subjective.
Pretty much every VN reader will tell you that Itsuwari is a far better adaptation while the previous one was merely "okay"(and horrible in the second half)

Stuffing 52 episodes of material into 26 and putting insufferable Erurshit into every single plotline while downplaying others is not something that makes a good adaptation.

Yeah, subjective. I've played both games but I think only the first series can be called an adaption. A good anime and decent adaption(and by far better than most VN adaptions at the time). Itsuwari no Kamen anime is so different from the game, and from all the contents so far I think it's actually critizising the game plot for making thing more ugly and questionable.

In particular, there is a whole point made in this episode that one must protect the peaceful life even if it means war, but that don't really justify the actions in the war, and not thinking of the right or wrong of it means becoming the ugly adult. That whole point and the plot of the game are critizising each other. And way things being handled in the first cour is also a question of "why make things ugly?". As such, adding to the fact that the plot has modified so much that the character relationships and key items are changed, I wouldn't call it an adaption but a rewritten work.

That said, this episode is the best non-war episode since ep6. It puts conclusion to Haku's experience in the past few episode and made a good point. Although it's a breather and seemingly slice of life, Haku's reaction to the war gives weight to it, and probably giving good hint of Haku's growth in future. The jokes are also effective. Unfortunately, the first cour isn't effective enough to make his preference for peaceful life a strong point. That hurts, but with sufficient rational thinking it is very understandable.
Alf_YuenJan 24, 2016 7:56 AM
Jan 24, 2016 8:17 AM

Oct 2014
Pretty chill epsiode, albeit I wanted some more serious stuff.

I mean we had such great previous episodes and now it kinda jumps back to what it was in the beginning, which wasn't as good. Oh well, I guess it was rather relaxing either way
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 24, 2016 8:39 AM

Jul 2007
Alf_Yuen said:
Fai said:

Subjective.
Pretty much every VN reader will tell you that Itsuwari is a far better adaptation while the previous one was merely "okay"(and horrible in the second half)

Stuffing 52 episodes of material into 26 and putting insufferable Erurshit into every single plotline while downplaying others is not something that makes a good adaptation.

Yeah, subjective. I've played both games but I think only the first series can be called an adaption. A good anime and decent adaption(and by far better than most VN adaptions at the time). Itsuwari no Kamen anime is so different from the game, and from all the contents so far I think it's actually critizising the game plot for making thing more ugly and questionable.

In particular, there is a whole point made in this episode that one must protect the peaceful life even if it means war, but that don't really justify the actions in the war, and not thinking of the right or wrong of it means becoming the ugly adult. That whole point and the plot of the game are critizising each other. And way things being handled in the first cour is also a question of "why make things ugly?". As such, adding to the fact that the plot has modified so much that the character relationships and key items are changed, I wouldn't call it an adaption but a rewritten work.

That said, this episode is the best non-war episode since ep6. It puts conclusion to Haku's experience in the past few episode and made a good point. Although it's a breather and seemingly slice of life, Haku's reaction to the war gives weight to it, and probably giving good hint of Haku's growth in future. The jokes are also effective. Unfortunately, the first cour isn't effective enough to make his preference for peaceful life a strong point. That hurts, but with sufficient rational thinking it is very understandable.

Nothing htis has skippped or altered is on the level of what first season did

Skipping parts of the lore for time reasons and because its a different medium makes sense.
Removing IMPORTANT plotlines and downplaying characters while giving an useless female lead more screentime than needs(at costs of plotlines like Yuzuha's) and then rushing ~10 episode worth of material in last 3 episodes to the point that without VN readers last third of the story is incomprehensible is WAY WORSE.
Jan 24, 2016 9:05 AM

Apr 2011
Nice development for Haku but disappointed he didn't tell Vurai's excessive violence andattempted murder of him. The guy killed an two young innocent civilians and many more.

Seems like things is going to get real next episode.

Funny seeing the girls reaction in seeing them naked. Plus Oshutoru and the other generals reaction when Nekone called the two filthy. Also did not like Nekone's action in pushing Haku to the river. Wether that was intentional or not.

Also, why are the twins tied up?
Jan 24, 2016 9:45 AM

Sep 2014
Xarvon said:

Probably next week episode is gonna be confusing for people who didn't watch season 1.

That'd be me. Hope that sci-fi stuff won't ruin it.
Jan 24, 2016 10:21 AM

Sep 2015
Fai said:
Alf_Yuen said:

Nothing htis has skippped or altered is on the level of what first season did

Skipping parts of the lore for time reasons and because its a different medium makes sense.
Removing IMPORTANT plotlines and downplaying characters while giving an useless female lead more screentime than needs(at costs of plotlines like Yuzuha's) and then rushing ~10 episode worth of material in last 3 episodes to the point that without VN readers last third of the story is incomprehensible is WAY WORSE.

By the reactions of non VN players, it's far from incomprehensible. Downplaying characters is far worse in Itsuwari no Kamen - see Rurutie, Atui, Maroro, Mikatsuchi. Most Kunekamun part get cutted was the worst thing, but it doesn't go as far to change the meaning of the plot or even oppose it.

In Itsuwari no Kamen, the meaning of plots are different. In order to play out the tone shift in ep 11, you cannot insert any tense battle moment between ep 3 and 11, which makes Haku not really a team leader for the group. All ugly sides of everything except Dekoponpo is cut out in first cour, which are crucial to the title "Itsuwari no Kamen". Character development of Haku becomes very different because in the game he is already a dirty adult from the start, and never flee from what really need to be done. And he understands why to drink. By the time of the end of this war, he already shown his talent to become what he will be. In contrast, the anime Haku is still at the stage of troubled by notion of right or wrong, which is most probably questioning the game plot, and by the end every meaning of his development will be different.

Skipping saving Entua changes her relationship with the group. Skipping the ruin would also mean a key item is probably not going to appear, and the Kuon's understanding of Haku would be different as well. All of above are important plot points. Yeah, there should be changes for different medium, but this is too different. And when the plot meanings are different, it affects the entire theme and structure of the story.
Jan 24, 2016 10:31 AM

Jul 2007
Alf_Yuen said:

By the reactions of non VN players, it's far from incomprehensible.

You mean except for the fact that last 3 episode reactions are pretty much "wtf is going on?!?!?".

Downplaying characters is far worse in Itsuwari no Kamen - see Rurutie, Atui, Maroro, Mikatsuchi. Most Kunekamun part get cutted was the worst thing, but it doesn't go as far to change the meaning of the plot or even oppose it.

Downplaying those characters is not as bad as removing crucial plotpoints in the first season(ex: Yuzuha, again.).

In Itsuwari no Kamen, the meaning of plots are different. In order to play out the tone shift in ep 11, you cannot insert any tense battle moment between ep 3 and 11, which makes Haku not really a team leader for the group. All ugly sides of everything except Dekoponpo is cut out in first cour, which are crucial to the title "Itsuwari no Kamen". Character development of Haku becomes very different because in the game he is already a dirty adult from the start, and never flee from what really need to be done. And he understands why to drink. By the time of the end of this war, he already shown his talent to become what he will be. In contrast, the anime Haku is still at the stage of troubled by notion of right or wrong, which is most probably questioning the game plot, and by the end every meaning of his development will be different.

That's an acceptable change. First cour built up Haku's "legend" as bigger than the man himself, due to manipulations of those around him. The war is giving him motivation to step it up AND is showing him t he darker side of Yamato. Overall it works as a nice contrast and a lot of what we are seing now build up from first half.

Its different path to same goal. Same ends. And frankly I like that there's a shift in motivation and that Haku is not "instantly a war genius". He is smart we have seen he can planand this gives him motivation to be better.

Skipping saving Entua changes her relationship with the group. Skipping the ruin would also mean a key item is probably not going to appear, and the Kuon's understanding of Haku would be different as well. All of above are important plot points. Yeah, there should be changes for different medium, but this is too different. And when the plot meanings are different, it affects the entire theme and structure of the story.

Half of those points depend on next few episodes.
AhenshihaelJan 24, 2016 10:34 AM
Jan 24, 2016 12:04 PM

Aug 2009
@Fai

Too lazy to quote your entire thing. You see this is how you be lazy properly :P

Filler pretty much means you can skip this without missing out on any major plot points. Where are the major plot point here? I could have skipped this episode and missed nothing, aside from having my opinion on a main character I already disliked further ruined by his pathetic behavior.

Also how is pushing him into a river, forcing him to get drunk and naked with a bunch of dudes he honestly doesn't know that well and some of which may want to be sexual with him when he clearly isn't gay, showing his dick to most of the female characters in the show and finally getting his testicles crushed "cheering him up"? Is this your idea of a good time? Seriously man this sounds like a some elaborate torture, not "cheering up".

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Jan 24, 2016 1:18 PM
Jan 2016
That really has to be the last SoL episode, there are only 9 episodes left to bridge this series to Uta 3. Can they do it without another SoL scene? By now it has to be out of their system, because perverts only can take so much before they drop dead from nosebleeds. Look they are all dead! *perverts dropping like flies* lol
Jan 24, 2016 11:34 PM

Sep 2014
Fai said:
Next episode will cause a lot of bitching for people. Especially those who have not seen the first season.

That said, I'm flipping out that no one is commenting about the preview for the next episode.........

THEY SHOWED THE FUCKING SATELLITE AND THE DNA SEQUENCE!!!!!!!!!!!!! THAT, in and of itself, is the biggest spoiler of them all. I was freaking out when I saw it cause I was chanting "show the satellite" and they did.

OMG. The significance of what the preview looked like and what happened in the previous episode are sooooo important that I have no idea how to express myself.

However, S1 is a blur to me now since I haven't watched the DVD bundle that I bought from ADV back in 2006. It's been soooo long. God I'm getting old.
Jan 25, 2016 2:37 AM

Jul 2012
tetrix1993 said:
Haku being serious and afraid in this episode.

LOLed at the manservice. The girls' reactions were priceless!

What's up with that lazy preview? I have seen S1 so it is gonna get serious.

Beautiful! Just needs a nice snap of all the men now!

Magito said:

Also, why are the twins tied up?

They would have joined in on the guy time without any thought as to why it's "guy time".
lanfireJan 25, 2016 2:40 AM
Jan 25, 2016 3:17 AM
Jul 2018
So many danglies!
Jan 25, 2016 3:17 AM

Jan 2014
I don't like how they handled the, "make Haku feel better, because he saw countless innocents be killed," but I did find the later part of the episode funny
Hahaha! The girls were the funny one's not the guys. Rurutie was so funny and cute, Atui was like oh they're like us, Nekone was so judgmental, "how filthy" (in a funny way), shinonon was just too innocent and Kuon was was caught way too off guard then boom!
I have to say it's better in comedy than serious topics as most anime. :)
TheRainInSpainJan 25, 2016 11:04 AM
Jan 25, 2016 11:39 AM

Dec 2013
Well that was just cringeworthy and uncomfortable to watch. Definitely no mood whiplashes, definitely not following AgK's footsteps. It doesn't seem like the sequel after 10 years would want to learn from its mistakes from the first installment.
Jan 25, 2016 7:04 PM
Sep 2012
In case anyone hasn't realized the connection from the preview yet:

Though it seems that our new satellite has more detail to it.
Jan 26, 2016 11:49 AM
Dec 2014
I'm pretty sure that S1 had only 26 Episodes, or did I miss something back then? Quite a while ago, though mal lists it also as only 26 Eps.
Jan 26, 2016 9:01 PM

Dec 2009
Oh man that was cringy but amusing. I was surprised he just went telling how he was scared instead of verbalizing his disgust for the atrocities committed on that battlefield. He just turns around and gives a "i still don't like war..."

And my god people, can you ever stop angsting over the anime you watch? Sure, it's not what you're expecting, GET OVER IT. Stop fapping to explosions, there's nothing wrong with slice of life elements, after all we all gotta live, whatever the hell time, place, universe we may be in.

As far as "adaptation" goes, it was clear pretty early on to me, even as someone who doesn't play the games, that it was meant to be constructed as a bespoke story BASED ON the game. There's no way that pacing could work in a game. This is a good thing. If you try and gram a game or book plot 1:1 onto moving picture, you're gonna get a garbled mess as you try and cram all the details in. I found the first season to be mediocre on it's own, though having watched it years ago, my perspective may not have been as enlightened.

Sarnik said:
Though it seems that our new satellite has more detail to it.
I like how you got the image of that, a close photo of the screen gives that impression you're trying to eyeball a monitor to study a distant object photoed. Whether you took it or someone else, it's cool. Looks like our artists can draw something that looks like a satellite and not a baby toy.
GenesisAriaJan 26, 2016 9:06 PM
❀桜舞う空〜                   Cute is Power.           🔗CosmoGenesis Project
“You cannot know what you do not know.”
“Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.”
“A truth seeker has no patience for BS.”

I seek only to improve myself and others.
Jan 26, 2016 9:28 PM

Oct 2011
OMG was that the place .....in the preievw
Jan 27, 2016 7:24 AM

Nov 2011
Episode far too calm, I do not know if that is good or a choice dictated by the need to provide some kind of break before resuming the speech on the war, or because they are coming in substantial revelations about the plot, but good or bad storytelling is usable , although not at all compelling and even funny; we will see with the next episode if the choices made in this episode are right or wrong, have certainly the right time to make Haku again what it was.
Jan 28, 2016 6:18 PM

Sep 2013
Manservice all over the place.
Kiuru is the cutest LOl
Jan 29, 2016 1:36 PM

Feb 2015
we're back to the slice of life stuff again :)
but i think it will get serious again in the next episode.
overall, it was a funny episode :D
she said "Filthy" right on the spot XD
but still, that PV for the next episode frooze me.
Feb 2, 2016 9:21 PM

Oct 2014
Kiuru got uke'd by a plausibly homosexual drunk.
Feb 3, 2016 8:05 AM

Feb 2009
It was a really boring episode.
I liked the SoL scenes in this series, but this was horrible.
Only the naked guys's party was surprising and funny. I liked the girl's reaction, especially fujoshi Rurutie.

Usagi_Rusak said:
I'm the only one here who thinks that 2006 Utawarerumono was way better?

Uta 2006 was much better!!
Feb 7, 2016 10:34 AM

Jan 2011
The biggest question is where exactly Kuon hit Haku there.
Feb 7, 2016 3:01 PM
Apr 2014
What? That is Haku's problem? That he isn't as strong as people who've been fighting in wars for years and that the girls around him become other people in battle? Not the fact that one of the persons the emperor trusts the most slaughtered his own people when they were prisoners of the enemy? And I really thought he was different. So he basically was pissed because he's powerless. Being powerless totally sucks in a war. Nice job, Cpt. Obvious.

Worst episode of Haku by a long shot. Really liked him thus far so the resolution of this was really annoying me. Luckily there was enough other stuff to make it worthwhile.
Feb 28, 2016 5:36 AM
Mar 2012
Party & aftermath were fun. Especially river dump, Nekone knows cold water works best. Funny faces are the best part of Uta. For a moment Kuon seemed completely unfazed by a room of naked...
So Mika & Kiuru like Nekone? Cinnamon likes Kiuru (at least part of him).
Yes, SCIFI is coming back!
Mar 26, 2016 5:11 PM

Apr 2014
Ginkaize said:
"Kiuru's one is the cutest"

He suffers from CPS= Cute penis syndrome. poor kid:/
---------My Profile------------
May 27, 2016 1:39 AM

Oct 2015
Kiuru omgg... so.. so.. ADORABLEEEEEEE
Nekone's reaction kinda surprised me tho, I thought she would hiss like usual.
anyway this ep was rly 5/5
Dec 29, 2022 12:52 AM

Dec 2018
i would rather drink sewer water than watch this episode.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Utawarerumono: Itsuwari no Kamen Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 14, 2015

106 by Grantlyn »»
Dec 14, 2023 9:48 PM

Poll: » Utawarerumono: Itsuwari no Kamen Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Oct 17, 2015

96 by Lolicon »»
Nov 8, 2023 9:33 PM

Poll: » Utawarerumono: Itsuwari no Kamen Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 19, 2015

100 by tinker3bellz1 »»
Oct 19, 2023 6:56 PM

Poll: » Utawarerumono: Itsuwari no Kamen Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 26, 2016

241 by StateofOhayo »»
Dec 29, 2022 1:43 PM

Poll: » Utawarerumono: Itsuwari no Kamen Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 30, 2016

99 by StateofOhayo »»
Dec 29, 2022 1:22 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.