Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Nov 6, 2015 12:06 PM

Feb 2014
Nah probably not. No Game No Life and Tokyo Ghoul were the most popular of last year, it has a chance to surpass those but I dont think it will ever come close to SOA or AoT popularity. Plus it will definitely need more than 12 episodes, which wont happen anytime soon.
Nov 6, 2015 12:53 PM

Jun 2013
Zazie122 said:
Loooool no. People who don't even regularly watch anime have most likely seen SnK and SAO, or at the very least heard of them. Ask those same people about OPM? Nah, they won't have heard of it.

It's not even close.
That`s because the anime is still on-going, i give 1 to 2 months and everybody will know what OPM is
Nov 6, 2015 2:54 PM

Aug 2013
Probably not, the audience for One punch man is a lot more speciffic than the other two, because it mostly appeals to fans of superhero and shounen comics, a lot of which probably wont watch it.

Nov 6, 2015 3:21 PM
Nov 2012
In my opinion SAO is not that big that everone talking about but AOT and OPM are one of the best I read or watched
Nov 6, 2015 4:14 PM

Oct 2013
MilkQueen said:
ah I hope it does! I want merch !!! and I want to see more cosplays !! I only saw /one/ Saitama at AX this year ;c;
I've never seen SAO, what's the appeal? Is it the moe boy? Genos can be p meo so idk. I have seen AoT and it was alright but I thought the hype around died down? All these animes are very different so it's hard to say if the popularity of OPM will rise or fall buut here's to hoping it does ok!! I really want a second season..
also smh at people who say it doesn't have waifu material, Genos is the cyborg waifu none of you deserve.

How does snk hype dying down has anything to do with what the thread is asking? hype doesn't last forever, every entertainment medium that has been hype, has eventually died down, its only natural. Not to mention the fact that there hasn't been any new content for two+ years. Only new contents is from the ovas and manga which is a monthly. So really it shouldn't be that hard to understand. When snk season 2 comes out the hype will be back and when it ends it will die down again. Rinse and repeat. Just like mainstream series like game of thrones.

Basically what op is asking if opm will be as hype/popular as snk or sao in their prime. Which was 2012/2013 respectfully.
keragammingNov 6, 2015 4:21 PM
Nov 6, 2015 4:34 PM

Jul 2013
If I remember correctly, AoT manga sold 52 million copies which I think ranked 4th in terms of sales only preceded by One Piece, DBZ and Naruto and even beating Death Note. How much is the increase in manga sales of OPM?
Nov 6, 2015 4:41 PM
Apr 2015
Well.. There has been a lot of buzz around OPM lately (in the west) but at this moment i don't think so either. Maybe if the franchise start selling out well and there will be thoughts on a S2 then there could be a possibility of more fame for OPM.
Nov 6, 2015 6:20 PM

Nov 2011
Snappynator said:
Probably not considering Gary Stu MC.

Kirito is better than Gary Stu? Does not compute.
Nov 6, 2015 6:46 PM

Sep 2011
Tekraz said:
Klad said:
How can you be so sure

First off the source material won't be that far ahead once the anime ends. If a sequel does comes it'll take atleast 4 years or more at the rate the OPM chapters are released. A lot of successful series have sequels released in quick succession. Monogatari, SAO, code geass, fate/zero etc. Now there are exceptions ofc, so it's not always the case. Other popular anime with no season 2s like FMA and Death Note are usually completed with no need for sequels.

Really like the way you think & argue.
Yes, OPM's manga not only great at the plot, but extraordinarily overwhelming in the art (compared to most of shonen manga).
As the result, the publishing is significantly slower than the others.
This fact ultimately affect the number of material available to be used for the future anime adaptation.
Kon'nichiwa!
Ogenkidesuka?

For those who play 3DS, please add my Friend Code
0662-3506-8849
Nov 7, 2015 3:06 AM
Sep 2015
Lol i dont think it will surpass AoT... Maybe SAO tho...
Nov 7, 2015 3:19 AM
Apr 2015
JumpinJC said:
No, but it'll probably surpass Hunter x Hunter (2011) in popularity.

hahahahaha.
Nov 7, 2015 3:23 AM

Apr 2013
Risara said:
JumpinJC said:
No, but it'll probably surpass Hunter x Hunter (2011) in popularity.

hahahahaha.

Out of the long runners, Hunter x Hunter is probably one of the least popular so OPM becoming bigger wouldn't really be a shocker. I guess the recently announced dub for HxH could change that, though.
5 main aspects I base my ratings on:
1. Did DramaEnthusiast make a thread about it?
2. Is it better than Breaking Bad?
3. Did MellowJello recommend the shit out of it?
4. Has it caused a (very entertaining) shitstorm on MAL?
5. Is it actually good?

Scratch the fifth point, it's not very relevant...
Nov 7, 2015 3:50 AM

Aug 2015
gabrielrroiz said:
actually I would like more if opm did not have a second season
making more episodes under such a simple premise will only be trying to get more money of the fans since the anime does not have much to show

The one shotting is only the joke 4 times throughout the series so far, It's dropped after the sea king arc. The series is currently in the middle of it's third multi-chapter fight with Saitama. Also, what would that have to do with Mob Psycho 100.

Kreion said:
Are you kidding - OPM only gets worse as it goes on. The more serious it becomes the less interesting it is as it constantly drifts towards generic shounen with occasional comedy, honestly I find the current arc boring as fuck. Saitama is barely in it and the manga is kinda flat beyond him...it's supposed to be a comedy. Don't get me wrong it has some great little arcs, the water guy one and another one which I can't really describe are fun...but that's it.

Saitama has been the sole focus of the current arc unless you're talking about the redraw version. Anyways, Saitama has no idea what's going on,so it wouldn't make sense for him to be involved and his absence even ties into the next arc. Anyways, if you find the current stuff boring(which I don't get, but I digress) or don't like the rest of the cast(which I also don't get), then the only thing I could recommended skipping to towards the end of the arc at chapter 84 in the original when Saitama becomes the focus again.
Nov 8, 2015 11:31 AM

Jul 2013
Luxun17 said:
it doesn't have waifu materials so no.

Have to prove you wrong:

Nov 8, 2015 11:35 AM

Nov 2014
It's already 1/2 of the show and no big boom in media like AoT. I am just happy that it is highly rated everywhere.

Nov 8, 2015 11:44 AM

Nov 2012
Well, it's better than both.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Nov 8, 2015 11:46 AM

Apr 2011
I hope not

it's overrated
Nov 8, 2015 11:54 AM

Dec 2013
Tenshi_Shura said:
If I remember correctly, AoT manga sold 52 million copies which I think ranked 4th in terms of sales only preceded by One Piece, DBZ and Naruto and even beating Death Note. How much is the increase in manga sales of OPM?

Really? 52m? Do you have a source link or something?
Nov 8, 2015 12:16 PM

Oct 2013
Tenshi_Shura said:

Well,

1st - One Piece 320 Million
2nd - Dragon Ball 230 Million
3rd - Naruto 205 Million
4th - Golgo 13 200 Million
5th - Kochikame 156.5 Million
6th - Detective conan 140 Million
7th - Oishinbo 130 Million
8th - Slam Dunk 120 Million
9th - Astro Boy 100 Million
9th -Doraemon 100 Million
9th - Hokuto no Ken 100 Million
9th - Touch 100 Million
13th - JoJo's Bizarre Adventure 95 Million
14th - Hajime no Ippo 94 Million
15th - Kindaichi Case Files 90 Million
16th - Sazae-san 86 Million
17th - Bleach 82 Million
17th - Captain Tsubasa 82 Million
19th - Kinnikuman 70 Million
19th - Rurouni Kenshin(Samurai X) 70 Million
19th - Sangokushi(Romance of the Three Kingdoms) 700 Million
22th - Hunter x Hunter 66 Million
23th - Full Metal Alchemist 64 Million
24th - Boys Over Flowers 61 Million
25th - Baki the Grappler 60 Million
25th - Rokuenashi Blues 60 Million
25th - Shoot! 60 Million
28th - Bad Boys 55 Million
29th - H2 55 Million
30th - Major 53 Million
30th - Minami no Teiou 53 Million
30th - Ranma 1/2 53 Million
33th - Attack on Titan 52.5 Million

I don't know how did you thought it was the 4th ranked, but Attack on Titan with the worldwide sales data, most of the other series only have the Japanese data, is right now in 33th position. It still need a ton(147.5 Million sales) to get to the 4th position.
Nov 8, 2015 12:16 PM

Apr 2014
Illyricus said:
Luxun17 said:

Have to prove you wrong:

lol the heads are so huge. Literally an egghead.
Nov 8, 2015 12:18 PM

Jul 2013
Z4k said:
Illyricus said:

Have to prove you wrong:

lol the heads are so huge. Literally an egghead.

She looks fine to me. Also, if you find her head big, the other girl with the green hair that appeared in the last episode has even a bigger one.
Nov 8, 2015 12:20 PM

Dec 2014
It is possible but all we can do right now is support the animes and see what happens.
Nov 8, 2015 5:55 PM
Feb 2015
Wish it did, but I don't think anything can surpass the popularity of those two ;(
Nov 8, 2015 5:57 PM

May 2015
If that shit did that then I will really call this world full of faggots.

Best Shitty Reviews
“Like is like a blank canvas you paint it with whatever you want (colors,blood,sweat,shit etc)”
Current Season rec : Layton Mystery Tanteisha: Katri no Nazotoki File
I am an anime OST Maniac and they play a huge role in my rating for a anime.
interested ?
click the GIF>>>>>
Nov 8, 2015 6:05 PM
Feb 2015
Illyricus said:
Luxun17 said:

Have to prove you wrong:

Nov 8, 2015 8:34 PM

Oct 2014
Yeah, man ofc it will totally surpass it all
Nov 8, 2015 8:44 PM

Apr 2015
It will and it is more lackluster than SAO
Nov 8, 2015 8:46 PM

Jan 2014
doesn't have enough edge or action to

Nov 8, 2015 9:11 PM

Dec 2011
In terms of popularity in the west: only if it gets on Netflix. Maybe. Eventually. People who don't watch anime on the reg helped bring up the hype on sao and snk bc of the easy access from there. Heck, even in this thread, op uses aot instead of snk. I think it's something to consider. It might surpass sao but titans..? Kinda doubt it. Tumblr's really been bringing up the hype on opm tho like,,, wow
Nov 8, 2015 11:42 PM
Nov 2015
I'd hope so, but I doubt it.
Nov 8, 2015 11:57 PM

Jul 2015
Praland said:
If it reaches that status it will be as hated as those too, so mind that.

There's a shitload of really popular shows that aren't hated. My bet is, SAO, SNK and TG get a lot of hate because they're shitty shows.
Nov 9, 2015 12:04 AM

Apr 2013
No it won't.

SAO is popular because it's a good mix of pretty much everything. Harem, action, romance and even set in a game world. It's also easy to identify with the protagonist.

AOT is popular because it's setting is very unique and serious. The story is also very well done and no character is safe from death.

OPM is "just" another super hero action comedy show. No matter how well it's done, it's just too generic to enter the top 3 (talking about MAL here).
Nov 9, 2015 12:06 AM

Jul 2015
Gator said:
No it won't.

SAO is popular because it's a good mix of pretty much everything. Harem, action, romance and even set in a game world. It's also easy to identify with the protagonist.

AOT is popular because it's setting is very unique and serious. The story is also very well done and no character is safe from death.

OPM is "just" another super hero action comedy show. No matter how well it's done, it's just too generic to enter the top 3 (talking about MAL here).

I fail to see how OPM is more "generic" than SAO
Nov 9, 2015 12:12 AM

Apr 2013
Clebardman said:
Gator said:
No it won't.

I fail to see how OPM is more "generic" than SAO

How many anime are there with a protagonist having special powers and fighting evil? A lot.
Nov 9, 2015 12:19 AM

Jul 2015
Gator said:

How many anime are there with a protagonist having special powers and fighting evil? A lot.

This is such a lame and generic description that it applies to 95% stories in the world. Wich includes AoT and SAO.
Nov 9, 2015 12:22 AM

Apr 2013
Clebardman said:
Gator said:

This is such a lame and generic description that it applies to 95% stories in the world. Wich includes AoT and SAO.

SAO and AOT have way more than that to offer though. What does One Punch Man have except the action and comedy?

Just to be clear I don't hate on OPM, but I can't see it getting nearly as popular as SAO or AOT. Personally I'll probably rate it higher than SAO once it finished.
Nov 9, 2015 12:37 AM

Oct 2013
Clebardman said:
Praland said:
If it reaches that status it will be as hated as those too, so mind that.

There's a shitload of really popular shows that aren't hated. My bet is, SAO, SNK and TG get a lot of hate because they're shitty shows.

Implying any series in the past 10 years is as popular as these two.

You said you haven't watch attack on titan in another thread. But yet you claim its a shitty series. So you've already made up your mind that you won't like the series cool.
Nov 9, 2015 12:46 AM

Jul 2015
keragamming said:

You said you haven't watch attack on titan in another thread. But yet you claim its a shitty series. So you've already made up your mind that you won't like the series cool.

In the past 10 years? No idea, I was sleeping under a rock.
I can form an opinion on a show without watching it. The over-the-top drama and shitty camera work (that opening...) are a big turn-off, and I already know that generic-MC-kun will turn into a titan... yeaaaaah... I'm a bit old for that shit.

I might watch it one day but there's still more interesting stuff out there for me.
Nov 9, 2015 12:54 AM

Sep 2012
Clebardman said:
keragamming said:

I can form an opinion on a show without watching it. The over-the-top drama and shitty camera work (that opening...).

No, you can't. It is just retarded. You can just form a shallow impression of a show but not a informed opinion.
How do you know it is a over the top drama or not without watching it?, also LOL at being camera work being bad in SnK.
Seriously this is one of the finest example of hating a popular show for the sake of hating it.
Nov 9, 2015 12:55 AM

Oct 2013
Clebardman said:
keragamming said:

I can form an opinion on a show without watching it. The over-the-top drama and shitty camera work (that opening...) are a big turn-off, and I already know that generic-MC-kun will turn into a titan... yeaaaaah... I'm a bit old for that shit.

I might watch it one day but there's still more interesting stuff out there for me.

You shouldn't say anything about a series you haven't watch. That's all I'm saying.
Nov 9, 2015 1:01 AM

Jun 2008
Oh look another thread about this one punch thingy...
Nov 9, 2015 1:02 AM

Jul 2015
Inferno_Cop said:

No, you can't. It is just retarded. You can just form a shallow impression of a show but not a informed opinion.
How do you know it is a over the top drama or not without watching it?, also LOL at being camera work being bad in SnK.
Seriously this is one of the finest example of hating a popular show for the sake of hating it.

You can, and that's how you decide to watch x show over y show. About the camera work... It's a matter of taste, the full CGI + frantic Bayesque camera doesn't work at all for me. I know many people think the opening is beautiful, I think it's ugly.
The over-the-top drama... C'mon man, we all saw those moments on a review somewhere, it's just too much.
Nov 9, 2015 1:15 AM

Sep 2012
Clebardman said:
You can, and that's how you decide to watch x show over y show. About the camera work... It's a matter of taste, the full CGI + frantic Bayesque camera doesn't work at all for me. I know many people think the opening is beautiful, I think it's ugly.
The over-the-top drama... C'mon man, we all saw those moments on a review somewhere, it's just too much.

Choosing one show over another is preference, not an informed opinion.
Also opening =/= show. Going by your logic Madoka is as pure as a kids magical girl series and Shadow star is a morning cartoon, how someone can use opening as an example of judging a show is beyond me and another LOL as using review as example since you can find dozens of them praising AoT as well.
Nov 9, 2015 2:06 AM

Jul 2015
Inferno_Cop said:

Choosing one show over another is preference, not an informed opinion.
Also opening =/= show. Going by your logic Madoka is as pure as a kids magical girl series and Shadow star is a morning cartoon, how someone can use opening as an example of judging a show is beyond me and another LOL as using review as example since you can find dozens of them praising AoT as well.

You don't need an informed opinion to bet. "my bet is, blablabla are shitty shows", but it's still an opinion. And you can totally read or watch a review praising a show, and decide that it isn't for you, and vice-versa. Wich is actually what I did with SNK on the first place. I have no affinity with the people recommending it, and their arguments fall flat for me.

Are you going to tell me you never had that "this is going to be shit" feeling when hearing about an anime/watching some footage? Because it's exactly the feeling SNK gives me, it's exactly what I said in my post, and I fail to understand why you're picking on me instead of trying to convince me to watch it.
Nov 9, 2015 2:37 AM

Feb 2011
dunno, seems hard
the biggest democraphic is shounen, sao and Aot are shounen
Opm is almost a seinen for contents

also both sao and Aot got their popularity when they managed to get viral on other social networks
(if, we're talking about MAL popularity, sales popularity is an other thing)

in terms of score Opm will surely remain above those two, but popularity is a matter of how much a show gets recommended or talked about in unrelated discussions (remember that time when every existing show got related/compared to sao or Aot ? this thread is one example of that), it's not directly related to the quality of the show
ZeandoNov 9, 2015 2:42 AM

Fixes to make the Profile more bearable after "the Modern★Profile★Update★★Rip★Profile★"
Nov 9, 2015 2:54 AM

Sep 2012
^Sigh, here we go with seinen and shonen content garbage.

Clebardman said:
You don't need an informed opinion to bet. "my bet is, blablabla are shitty shows", but it's still an opinion. And you can totally read or watch a review praising a show, and decide that it isn't for you, and vice-versa. Wich is actually what I did with SNK on the first place. I have no affinity with the people recommending it, and their arguments fall flat for me.

and I fail to understand why you're picking on me instead of trying to convince me to watch it.

Not every opinion is equal. First you were talking about opinion about it being shitty and now you are talking about how you bait, nice. Also as you already made up your mind about SnK being a shitty show no amount of reasoning would be enough to convince you.
Nov 9, 2015 3:00 AM

Feb 2011
^ ok, think about it in terms of "target audience"
do you honestly think sao, Aot and Opm are the same?
(assuming you've read the Opm manga, and have seen the other two, to be able to make that comparison)

i don't think they start from the same basis

Fixes to make the Profile more bearable after "the Modern★Profile★Update★★Rip★Profile★"
Nov 9, 2015 3:32 AM

Sep 2012
Zeando said:
^ ok, think about it in terms of "target audience"
do you honestly think sao, Aot and Opm are the same?
(assuming you've read the Opm manga, and have seen the other two, to be able to make that comparison)

i don't think they start from the same basis

Do you really think content define Shonen and seinen? No, they don't. I won't make any comment on OPM since I haven't seen it, I didn't make any comment over OPM in this thread before either.
Nov 9, 2015 3:38 AM
Dec 2011
SAO is actually popular?
Nov 9, 2015 3:42 AM

Feb 2011
Inferno_Cop said:
Do you really think content define Shonen and seinen? No, they don't. I won't make any comment on OPM since I haven't seen it, I didn't make any comment over OPM in this thread before either.

i think shounen and seinen can be seen as an other way to call the "target audience"
and i'm talking about "target audience", which can be defined or deduced from the content or kind of references used into a work
(or the level of "things to already know" to be able to: notice, understand and enjoy the work, or on the opposite, the number of things the author is taking for granted when they designed the story)
ZeandoNov 9, 2015 3:49 AM

Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » should one punch man be called battle seinen?

deg - May 16

24 by phantom346 »»
May 22, 12:46 PM

Poll: » One Punch Man Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 25, 2015

338 by FedeMetal »»
May 20, 6:30 PM

» serious question

z0idberger - May 5

45 by RickyHunt »»
May 20, 8:52 AM

Poll: » One Punch Man Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 20, 2015

987 by RGreatDanton »»
May 13, 3:04 PM

Poll: » One Punch Man Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 6, 2015

792 by jacjacqjac »»
May 12, 1:32 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.