Forum Settings
Forums

Why Most Old School Anime is way better than Seasonal Modern Anime?

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (7) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 »
Sep 10, 2015 8:41 PM
Aug 2015
Kruzy said:
ForgottenXthe3rd said:

for one thing, there are a number of shows i dont watch due to time restrictions, and another, there are some genres i can't stand so i try to avoid those genres unless there's something that catches my attention. and there have been some pretty good shows this past year, quite a few good ones this season in particular.

Then you shouldn't claim something like that if you only watch a small portion of shows every season.

I watch more than a small portion, there are just some shows i dont get to or bother with, every show that seems even remotely interesting i watch eventually.
Sep 10, 2015 8:43 PM

Jul 2013
ForgottenXthe3rd said:
Kruzy said:

Then you shouldn't claim something like that if you only watch a small portion of shows every season.

I watch more than a small portion, there are just some shows i dont get to or bother with, every show that seems even remotely interesting i watch eventually.

And you still managed to miss out on most of the good shows that came out in the past 2 years.
Sep 10, 2015 8:45 PM
Aug 2015
Kruzy said:
ForgottenXthe3rd said:

And you still managed to miss out on most of the good shows that came out in the past 2 years.

If a show has an unusual amount of buzzing around it, i try to find out what its about, but there are times when i just dont have time, life keeps me busy most of the time, i have to cut some shows from my watch list because of that.
Sep 10, 2015 10:50 PM

May 2015
Hey, you know what

I bet if you took a single season from the Good Old Days you'd find a lot of crap there.

Has anyone tried to watch all the anime of an Old Season?
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Sep 10, 2015 10:53 PM

Jul 2012
TheBrainintheJar said:
Hey, you know what

I bet if you took a single season from the Good Old Days you'd find a lot of crap there.

You're actually right about that.
When I created my "Backwards Seasonals Project", I had to go to every single old season and pick a few shows I had to complete from there. The only ones that sounded interesting were ones that were space or music orientated. So much action shit in the past. I'm so glad more anime nowadays are about high school comedy.

FGAU1912 said:
housewife does come in to its woman but people like it do exist in in real life

But majority of females do not think or act like her. A more realistic example of a female would be Futaba from Ao Haru Ride or Yona from Akatsuki no Yona. Both are characters that girls would actually look up to.
Sep 10, 2015 10:57 PM
Mar 2011
mayukachan said:
TheBrainintheJar said:
Hey, you know what

When I created my "Backwards Seasonals Project", I had to go to every single old season and pick a few shows I had to complete from there. The only ones that sounded interesting were ones that were space or music orientated. So much action shit in the past. I'm so glad more anime nowadays are about high school comedy.

FGAU1912 said:

But majority of females do not think or act like her. A more realistic example of a female would be Futaba from Ao Haru Ride or Yona from Akatsuki no Yona. Both are characters that girls would actually look up to.

i tink girl could look up kyoko i said there rere and alot of men in japan do look or there nadeshiko ie perfect Japanese woman
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Sep 10, 2015 11:01 PM
Mar 2011
mayukachan said:
TheBrainintheJar said:
Hey, you know what

FGAU1912 said:

iv watched alot of both and there alot of godd stuf form 72-94 alot of crap bettwen 95-2002 2005 -2009 began to pick up agian 2010- has so good shows but with the amount of anime prodced per seaosn that ecoaxt
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

Sep 10, 2015 11:12 PM
Aug 2015
FGAU1912 said:
mayukachan said:

iv watched alot of both and there alot of godd stuf form 72-94 alot of crap bettwen 95-2002 2005 -2009 began to pick up agian 2010- has so good shows but with the amount of anime prodced per seaosn that ecoaxt

A lot more gets produced per season now than way back when, of course there will be more poorly done series, but there are also more well-done series too.
Sep 10, 2015 11:32 PM
Mar 2011
ForgottenXthe3rd said:
FGAU1912 said:

A lot more gets produced per season now than way back when, of course there will be more poorly done series, but there are also more well-done series too.

i say the same thing in a dabte about anime profit

Sep 11, 2015 12:23 AM

Mar 2012
TheBrainintheJar said:
Hey, you know what

At least those bad shows in the past are watchable and better written than today`s most overrated/overhyped seasonal anime like SAO, Guilty Crown, Mirai Nikki, Urobutcher shows, etc.
GridleySep 11, 2015 12:29 AM
Do you play Azure Lane?
Then please join my fanclub
https://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=74907
Sep 11, 2015 12:43 AM

Jul 2014
Most seasonal modern anime are incomplete adaptations, more like forgettable commercials of the manga counterpart rather than actual series. For this reason alone old school series are better.
Sep 11, 2015 1:27 AM
Feb 2013
NicoZeta said:
TheBrainintheJar said:
Hey, you know what

At least those bad shows in the past are watchable and better written than today`s most overrated/overhyped seasonal anime like SAO, Guilty Crown, Mirai Nikki, Urobutcher shows, etc.

Except they're not watchable lol
Sep 11, 2015 1:33 AM

Mar 2012
KendiKong said:

It`s watchable because it has old school charm and they have more redeeming qualities than your typical generic LN adaptations.
Do you play Azure Lane?
Sep 11, 2015 4:34 AM

Aug 2015
don't let nostalgia blind you
Sep 11, 2015 5:11 AM
Mar 2014
NicoZeta said:
KendiKong said:

It`s watchable because it has old school charm and they have more redeeming qualities than your typical generic LN adaptations.

ok
today's anime are watchable because they have fresh new charm and they have more redeeming qualities than your typical generic whatever the fuck 90s anime were based on
Rinth said:
Every opinion is not equal. Some opinions are simply made out of shit.

nasuverse > your favorite anime
Sep 11, 2015 6:05 AM

Mar 2012
omfgplzstop said:

ok
today's anime are watchable because they have fresh new charm and they have more redeeming qualities than your typical generic whatever the fuck 90s anime were based on

Says the guy who watched less than hundred anime.

That`s not fresh new charm, that`s a Re-hash by stealing older ideas but in reality, the execution failed.

The older classics ones in the past are better in execution.
Do you play Azure Lane?
Sep 11, 2015 6:09 AM

Oct 2010
I prefer the older classics ones in the present, or the older classics ones in the future, tho.
Sep 11, 2015 6:34 AM

Jul 2015
Anime is definetely going downhill according to my MALgraph.

My mean score went down from 7.89 for anime of the 90s, to 6.11 for the 00s and finally 4.8 for this decade.

inb4 modern anime is shit and retro will always stay superior.
Sep 11, 2015 6:44 AM

Jul 2013
IspanoGuymelef said:

My mean score went down from 7.89 for anime of the 90s, to 6.11 for the 00s and finally 4.8 for this decade.

>Anime from 1990s: 13
>Anime from 2000s: 61
>Anime from 2010s: 54

Say stuff like that when you've seen a decent amount from each period.
Sep 11, 2015 6:47 AM

May 2015
NicoZeta said:
TheBrainintheJar said:
Hey, you know what

I'm currently watching SAO and while I enjoy it, I can see why people will hate it. It's interesting bad, though. It's a series with big ambitions that want to be subversive and questioning, only it doesn't have the focus that made Tamers or AOT brilliant.

Same goes for others, too. I can imagine Mirai Nikki failing, but I can't see it being boring. I'd take an interesting failure over bad-boring any day. According to Mayukachan, in those days it was all bad-boring.
Sep 11, 2015 6:50 AM
Jul 2018
I don't see the point in comparion them. I think both ages are good in their own rights.
Sep 11, 2015 6:51 AM

Mar 2012
TheBrainintheJar said:

I'm currently watching SAO and while I enjoy it, I can see why people will hate it. It's interesting bad, though. It's a series with big ambitions that want to be subversive and questioning, only it doesn't have the focus that made Tamers or AOT brilliant.

Same goes for others, too. I can imagine Mirai Nikki failing, but I can't see it being boring. I'd take an interesting failure over bad-boring any day. According to Mayukachan, in those days it was all bad-boring.

SAO is about Players trapped in the game must go on top of the floor to clear the game but in reality, it`s a bullshit harem with Gary Sue MC and Gay fairies.

Mirai Nikki is about survival death game but in reality, it`s about characters doing retarded things and they act like 5 year old kids.

At least AOT is average, it was ruined by huge amount of Shock Factor instead of normal Tragedy.
Do you play Azure Lane?
Sep 11, 2015 6:54 AM

Nov 2012
FGAU1912 said:
ForgottenXthe3rd said:
I don't get why so many people hate moe so much, the cuteness is really quite pleasing to the eyes compared to a lot of other styles I've seen. To me a lot of the older series look unrefined, unpolished, and rough around the edges (and not in a good way). Of course, ultimately this boils down to each individual's opinion, why so many people try to force their views onto others I don't get, but frankly it needs to end, you pretty much are all acting like a bunch of idiotic A-holes trying to force others to see things your way.

moe chacters are not realistic on personality

>Caring about realism in anime.
Sep 11, 2015 6:58 AM

Jul 2015
Kruzy said:
IspanoGuymelef said:

While I certainly haven't watched many anime from the 90s, I have seen enough from the 2000s and 2010s to notice an obvious decline in the quality of anime over the years.
Sep 11, 2015 7:27 AM

Jul 2013
IspanoGuymelef said:
While I certainly haven't watched many anime from the 90s, I have seen enough from the 2000s and 2010s to notice an obvious decline in the quality of anime over the years.

In the 2000s we got over 1000 TV shows, 500 OVAs and 400 movies.
In the 2010s we again got over 1000 TV shows, 400 OVAs and 500 movies.
Obviously plenty of these are for kids or aren't translated but the amount of stuff is still small as fuck compared to how much anime came out.
Sep 11, 2015 8:06 AM
Aug 2015
NicoZeta said:
omfgplzstop said:

ok

That`s not fresh new charm, that`s a Re-hash by stealing older ideas but in reality, the execution failed.

sure, it might seem that alot of ideas get reused these days, however, think about it logically, alot more series have been made since then, so obvious more series are gonna seem similar to people, tho more to those that don't pay attention to the small details...
Sep 11, 2015 8:09 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
There have been plenty of good and bad anime every year since forever

Can we please stop trying to correlate age with quality? There is no connection like that, face it
Sep 11, 2015 8:29 AM
Aug 2015
HaXXspetten said:
There have been plenty of good and bad anime every year since forever

Can we please stop trying to correlate age with quality? There is no connection like that, face it

Lol, i completely agree, however, if that could stop this it wouldn't have last this long. Unfortunately some people are too bull-headed to accept opinions that don't agree with them.
Sep 11, 2015 9:23 AM
Mar 2014
NicoZeta said:
omfgplzstop said:

ok

That's not old school charm, that's a Re-hash by stealing older ideas but in reality, the execution failed.

The newer classics one in the present are better in execution.

I hope you got it this time.
IspanoGuymelef said:
Kruzy said:

Yeah, but the point is that if you'd watched 50 anime from the 90s your mean score for the period wouldn't be anywhere near that that number.
Rinth said:

Sep 11, 2015 1:02 PM

May 2015
NicoZeta said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

SAO is about Players trapped in the game must go on top of the floor to clear the game but in reality, it`s a bullshit harem with Gary Sue MC and Gay fairies.

Mirai Nikki is about survival death game but in reality, it`s about characters doing retarded things and they act like 5 year old kids.

At least AOT is average, it was ruined by huge amount of Shock Factor instead of normal Tragedy.

AOT doesn't have that much reliance on shock. There are some graphic scenes, but they're do their job and then we move on. We don't linger on them too much.

SAO has a harem thing going on, but it's not as central as people say it is. I do agree that the MC is a Gary Stu which is annoying. There are still some interesting stuff there, like the tonal shifts. I'll have a more organized thought when I finish it.
Sep 11, 2015 3:06 PM
Mar 2014
galimx said:
omfgplzstop said:

ok

hahaahahah

dam
im way 2 naive
didnt think dere was more den 1 person dat dense on dis forum
Rinth said:

Sep 11, 2015 3:18 PM

Jul 2013
omfgplzstop said:
galimx said:

hahaahahah

dam
im way 2 naive

Did you ever consider that those 90s anime seem generic to you because everything afterwards just copied the shit out of them? There's even a trope for this called Seinfed is Unfunny.
Sep 11, 2015 5:12 PM

Feb 2014
whoawhoawhoa calm down there ThatAnimeSnob Jr

Sep 11, 2015 5:13 PM
Mar 2011
chinesecartoonz said:
whoawhoawhoa calm down there ThatAnimeSnob Jr

who is that amimed at

Sep 11, 2015 5:19 PM
Aug 2015
Kruzy said:
omfgplzstop said:

dam
im way 2 naive

Did you ever consider that those 90s anime seem generic to you because everything afterwards just copied the shit out of them? There's even a trope for this called Seinfed is Unfunny.

some after them might have borrowed some ideas, but saying that everything after that was just copies? either you're super dense, crazy biased towards older series, or just plain stupid....
Sep 11, 2015 5:27 PM

Jul 2013
ForgottenXthe3rd said:
Kruzy said:

some after them might have borrowed some ideas, but saying that everything after that was just copies? either you're super dense, crazy biased towards older series, or just plain stupid....

Obviously not everything was copied. There are plenty of great anime made post-2000 but calling old anime generic is kind of stupid because they're the ones that started those tropes.
Sep 11, 2015 5:30 PM
Aug 2015
Kruzy said:
ForgottenXthe3rd said:

Obviously not everything was copied. There are plenty of great anime made post-2000 but calling old anime generic is kind of stupid because they're the ones that started those tropes.

thats why i judge series different based on when they came out.
Sep 11, 2015 8:34 PM
Oct 2013
NicoZeta said:
Hellsoldier said:

And last but not least: There are great directors and scriptwriters today. There are great animators today. Great soundtrack composers today. Great shows overall, and yes, the Magical Girl genre needed a shake-up. I just wish that more cyberpunk and more down-to-Earth Yuri (Aoi Hana or Sasameki Koto) was around.

Great Director and Script Writers are already Endangered Species.

Masaaki Yuasa is the savior of modern anime, but he`s so lazy to make his next anime tv series.
Shinichiro Watanabe lost it`s charm after Mitchiko to Hatchin.
Kunihiko Ikuhara lost it`s charm after Penguindrum.
Hayao Miyazaki already quit.
Yoshiyuki Tomino is too old and can`t make his new mecha anime anymore.
Satoshi Kon, Ishiguro Noboru, Osamu Dezaki is already dead.
Izubuchi Yutaka is a lazy slacker and he has no idea which anime he`ll direct next.
Anno Hideaki is a slow-ass lazy director and his last rebuild of evangelion movie is in the works in a very slow pace.

Great Animators are working in overrated studio such as Kyoani and Ufotable.
Director and Script Writer in both Kyoani and Ufotable are Hack.

The Magical Girl genre anime is no longer aimed at little girls anymore, it`s aimed at unemployed horny otakus.

Cyberpunk is almost extinct and many japanese people aren`t interested in Cyberpunk genre.

About Yuri, Aoi Hana sounds Enlightening Coming of Age lesbian story.
Sasameki Koto sounds a bland forgettable romcom but with girls.

No thank you, i think i`m gonna watch Aoi Hana much later.

P.S.
Gen Urobuchi is a Hack Writer and he ripped-off Tomino`s writing style by making the characters robotic and pretentious at the same time.

Yuasa, I hear, takes a lot of roles within anime production, so I guess that spends a lot of energy. I haven't watch any of his works yet. But I hear nothing but great things from them so... I will pick them up.

As for Watanabe, I was engaged byZankyou no Terror... Albeit I was blown away when I watched Cowboy Bebop and the Knocking on Heaven's Door movie.

Never watched a Miyazaki work, though I have heard of his works. I will pick them up, eventually.

Tomino... What the HELL was G-Reco supposed to be anyways? And I liked the old-inspired animation. Made me think I could try out the old Gundam titles.

Paranoia Agent was my only Kon work thus far. It was spetacular. Dezaki directed Oniisama e..., didn't he? Ichigura... I only know Megazone 23.

Izubuchi... I love Rahxephon.

I think Anno broke down... again.

I actually like and love a few works from KyoAni, at least. I'll beg to differ there. But I respect your opinion.

To be fair, Madoka is not to blame for the ''seinenization'' of the Magical Genre. Nanoha was. And yes, I love Madoka. Unapologetically so. But no, not gonna trash people who disagree.

Well yeah, Ghost in the Shel SAC and Arise and Psycho-Pass are essentially 3 cyberpunk shows in a sea of anime these last 15 years. Yeah, it's a dying art.

Aoi Hana is wonderful. As for Sasameki Koto, it's essentially reviewed as a bit more comic but still earth-grounded. Albeit many just prefer the manga, since it goes into the final year of school and involves two girls accepting their relationship worthy and continuing it into adulthood. I'll admit that of these, I only watched Aoi Hana. As for Sasameki Koto, I read the manga reviews.

I accept your opinion on Urobuchi, but I gotta ask: Where do you see it? It is true Urobuchi loved Zeta Gundam as a child. But I actually see personalities in the works I watched (Madoka Magica and Psycho-Pass). Maybe you see something I don't... Or the other way around. Who knows?

One thing: Nico Nico Nii... Isn't that a Love Live reference?
AsukaHellsoldierSep 11, 2015 8:46 PM
I am Aleister Morningstar, once General of the 13th Battalion of the Hellsoldiers, and now the Grand-Lord of the Grand Order of the Hellsoldier.

I am Hellsoldier, first and foremost.
Sep 11, 2015 8:42 PM

Jul 2012
Lancehot said:
mayukachan said:

As much as I liked Yona as a character, I'm not sure there's that many women whose thought process would be "well he did kill my dad & try to murder me, but he is cute so I'll still love him."

She has a lot of history with him, and she doesn't love him. It's more like a "he used to be one of my closest friends" feeling and not completely bitter.
Sep 11, 2015 8:45 PM
Mar 2011
Hellsoldier said:
NicoZeta said:

Great Director and Script Writers are already Endangered Species.

Masaaki Yuasa is the savior of modern anime, but he`s so lazy to make his next anime tv series.
Shinichiro Watanabe lost it`s charm after Mitchiko to Hatchin.
Kunihiko Ikuhara lost it`s charm after Penguindrum.
Hayao Miyazaki already quit.
Yoshiyuki Tomino is too old and can`t make his new mecha anime anymore.
Satoshi Kon, Ishiguro Noboru, Osamu Dezaki is already dead.
Izubuchi Yutaka is a lazy slacker and he has no idea which anime he`ll direct next.
Anno Hideaki is a slow-ass lazy director and his last rebuild of evangelion movie is in the works in a very slow pace.

Great Animators are working in overrated studio such as Kyoani and Ufotable.
Director and Script Writer in both Kyoani and Ufotable are Hack.

The Magical Girl genre anime is no longer aimed at little girls anymore, it`s aimed at unemployed horny otakus.

Cyberpunk is almost extinct and many japanese people aren`t interested in Cyberpunk genre.

About Yuri, Aoi Hana sounds Enlightening Coming of Age lesbian story.
Sasameki Koto sounds a bland forgettable romcom but with girls.

No thank you, i think i`m gonna watch Aoi Hana much later.

P.S.
Gen Urobuchi is a Hack Writer and he ripped-off Tomino`s writing style by making the characters robotic and pretentious at the same time.

Yuasa, I hear, takes a lot of roles within anime production, so I guess that spends a lot of energy. I haven't watch any of his works yet. But I hear nothing but great things from them so... I will pick them up.

As for Watanabe, I was engaged byZankyou no Terror... Albeit I was blown away when I watched Cowboy Bebop and the Knocking on Heaven's Door movie.

Never watched a Miyazaki work, though I have heard of his works. I will pick them up, eventually.

Tomino... What the HELL was G-Reco supposed to be anyways? And I liked the old-inspired animation. Made me think I could try out the old Gundam titles.

Paranoia Agent was my only Kon work thus far. It was spetacular. Dezaki directed Oniisama e..., didn't he? Ichigura... I only know Megazone 23.

I actually like and love a few works from KyoAni, at least. I'll beg to differ there. But I respect your opinion.

To be fair, Madoka is not to blame for the ''seinenization'' of the Magical Genre. Nanoha was. And yes, I love Madoka. Unapologetically so. But no, not gonna trash people who disagree.

Well yeah, Ghost in the Shel SAC and Arise and Psycho-Pass are essentially 3 cyberpunk shows in a sea of anime these last 15 years. Yeah, it's a dying art.

Aoi Hana is wonderful. As for Sasameki Koto, it's essentially reviewed as a bit more comic but still earth-grounded. Albeit many just prefer the manga, since it goes into the final year of school and involves two girls accepting their relationship worthy and continuing it into adulthood. I'll admit that of these, I only watched Aoi Hana. As for Sasameki Koto, I read the manga reviews.

I accept your opinion on Urobuchi, but I gotta ask: Where do you see it? It is true Urobuchi loved Zeta Gundam as a child. But I actually see personalities in the works I watched (Madoka Magica and Psycho-Pass). Maybe you see something I don't... Or the other way around. Who knows?

with in the home market name one watanbae show that has had lasting impact im sorry i cannot do that and hes passiable skilled

while tomino created two of the most impactfull anime there are both witch are well witten them being gundam and ideon hes better story teller tha watanabe is

Sep 11, 2015 8:51 PM
Oct 2013
DateYutaka said:
Hellsoldier said:

with in the home market name one watanbae show that has had lasting impact im sorry i cannot do that and hes passiable skilled

while tomino created two of the most impactfull anime there are both witch are well witten them being gundam and ideon hes better story teller tha watanabe is

As mentioned before, I only started on Tomino recently. I know I started with a rotten one, instead of his greats. Watanabe, however, did have an impact. His works are the reason many westerners got into anime in the first place, much like Akira and Ghost in the Shell and other works that dragged western audiences into anime. Home Sales are not everything.
I am Aleister Morningstar, once General of the 13th Battalion of the Hellsoldiers, and now the Grand-Lord of the Grand Order of the Hellsoldier.

Sep 11, 2015 8:55 PM
Mar 2011
Hellsoldier said:
DateYutaka said:

As mentioned before, I only started on Tomino recently. I know I started with a rotten one, instead of his greats. Watanabe, however, did have an impact. His works are the reason many westerners got into anime in the first place, much like Akira and Ghost in the Shell and other works that dragged western audiences into anime. Home Sales are not everything.

i never mentioed sales im talking general pop cultre impact shw most Japanese over the age of 30 a picture of either char or teh rx 78 and most will know what it is

i cannot say that about people with nay watabnae chacter at all

i enerv said sales once

Sep 11, 2015 11:24 PM

Mar 2012
Hellsoldier said:

Yuasa should stop slacking and i hope he`ll direct new 1 anime per year and fans in the west will be pleased and happy.

Watanabe is a good director once but he`s now spoon feeding the fans instead of focusing on writing good story; Zankyou no Terror sucks because it`s Terrorism done wrong; the show was ruined when Five was introduced in the anime; also both MC is a Terrorist and they haven`t killed even one people

Hayao Miyazaki is the best anime movie director before Satoshi Kon; if you want to watch Hayao Miyazaki`s movies then try watching Laputa, My Neighbor Totoro, Porco Rosso, Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away.

Satoshi Kon was the best Anime Movie Director in previous decade, just check out Perfect Blue, Millenium Actress, Tokyo Godfathers, Paprika.

If you want to see Osamu Dezaki`s anime then check out Rose of Versailles, Ashita no Joe, Space Cobra and Ie Nakki Ko.

You didn`t know Ichigura? he`s the one who directed Legend of the Galactic Heroes.

The only good Kyoani shows are FMP Fumoffu and Second Raid, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya season 1 and Movie.

The main problem with Madoka Magica is not the story, the characters itself are the main problem just because they aren`t actual characters, they`re all plot device with no personality.

I actually like Nanoha because it`s a refreshing Magical Girl anime about Magical Girl with the combination of Sci-fi meets Magic; the fanservice doesn`t bother me after all; Nanoha went downhill after 2nd season because both main characters are no longer lolis.

GITS SAC is far the best Cyberpunk Anime of all time with high production values and beautiful visuals.

GITS Arise is bad because it`s a bad attempt to milk the franchise and the new Motoko design looks so ugly that she looks like a different person.

Psycho-Pass is not great just because the characters are like Books in Human form, The characters are quoting the most famous quotes in Famous Literature Books; the Dialogue is so fucking Pretentious it`s making me facepalm; the characters don`t tell their own motivations and goals; they just quote random famous quotes on Literature books after all; Akane`s Character Development is forced and fake, it`s not character development, that`s a character rewrite by swapping roles after Kougami disappeared.

Urobuchi is the most overrated Anime Director in History, he`s way more popular than Tezuka our God of Anime and Manga.
Urobuchi don`t know how to write actual characters, every single character he writes are annoying Plot Devices.

In Madoka Magica, the girls are puppets instead of normal girls; Kaname Madoka is a Crybaby Observer instead of normal teenage girl; victimizing the characters make the show worse, it`s not tragedy, that`s Shock Factor.

Characters from Fate/Zero are Cartoonish Historical Figures while Saber is the most robotic Character.

Characters from Psycho-Pass are Literature Book people in Human Form.

Characters from Gargantia are just......Ledo is Poorman`s Chirico from Votoms, the girls are tanned sluts that appeal to horny otakus.

Characters from Aldnoah Zero are Gundam Characters Ripped-off but million times more robotic and Plot Device characters are all over the place.

GridleySep 11, 2015 11:36 PM
Do you play Azure Lane?
Sep 11, 2015 11:28 PM
Mar 2011
NicoZeta said:
Hellsoldier said:

Yuasa should stop slacking and i hope he`ll direct new 1 anime per year and fans in the west will be pleased and happy.

Watanabe is a good director once but he`s now spoon feeding the fans instead of focusing on writing good story; Zankyou no Terror sucks because it`s Terrorism done wrong; the show was ruined when Five was introduced in the anime; also both MC is a Terrorist and they haven`t killed even one people

Hayao Miyazaki is the best anime movie director before Satoshi Kon; if you want to watch Hayao Miyazaki`s movies then try watching Laputa, Grave of the Fireflies, My Neighbor Totoro, Porco Rosso, Princess Mononoke, The Cat Returns, Spirited Away.

Satoshi Kon was the best Anime Movie Director in previous decade, just check out Perfect Blue, Millenium Actress, Tokyo Godfathers, Paprika.

If you want to see Osamu Dezaki`s anime then check out Rose of Versailles, Ashita no Joe, Space Cobra and Ie Nakki Ko.

You didn`t know Ichigura? he`s the one who directed Legend of the Galactic Heroes.

The only good Kyoani shows are FMP Fumoffu and Second Raid, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya season 1 and Movie.

The main problem with Madoka Magica is not the story, the characters itself are the main problem just because they aren`t actual characters, they`re all plot device with no personality.

I actually like Nanoha because it`s a refreshing Magical Girl anime about Magical Girl with the combination of Sci-fi meets Magic; the fanservice doesn`t bother me after all; Nanoha went downhill after 2nd season because both main characters are no longer lolis.

GITS SAC is far the best Cyberpunk Anime of all time with high production values and beautiful visuals.

GITS Arise is bad because it`s a bad attempt to milk the franchise and the new Motoko design looks so ugly that she looks like a different person.

Psycho-Pass is not great just because the characters are like Books with Human form, The characters are quoting the most famous quotes in Famous Literature Books; the Dialogue is so fucking Pretentious it`s making me facepalm; the characters don`t tell their own motivations and goals; they just quote random famous quotes on Literature books after all; Akane`s Character Development is forced and fake, it`s not character development, that`s a character rewrite by swapping roles after Kougami disappeared.

Urobuchi is the most overrated Anime Director in History, he`s way more popular than Tezuka our God of Anime and Manga.
Urobuchi don`t know how to write actual characters, every single character he writes are annoying Plot Devices.

In Madoka Magica, the girls are puppets instead of normal girls; Kaname Madoka is a Crybaby Observer instead of normal teenage girl; victimizing the characters make the show worse, it`s not tragedy, that`s Shock Factor.

Characters from Fate/Zero are Cartoonish Historical Figures while Saber is the most robotic Character.

Characters from Gargantia are just......Ledo is Poorman`s Chirico from Votoms, the girls are tanned sluts that appeal to horny otakus.

Characters from Aldnoah Zero are Gundam Characters Ripped-off but million times more robotic and Plot Device characters are all over the place.

lol miyazaki did not od grave of the fireflies

Sep 14, 2015 4:39 AM
Oct 2013
DateYutaka said:
Hellsoldier said:

i never mentioed sales im talking general pop cultre impact shw most Japanese over the age of 30 a picture of either char or teh rx 78 and most will know what it is

i enerv said sales once

Well, admittedly Watanabe's impact is, as I mentioned earlier, more of a western thing. Tomino is behind Gundam, which was a culltural phenomena like no other. Tomino was more successful at leaving a mark with the Japanese. And without a Tomino, there would be no Hideaki Anno. I guess this much is true.

Sep 14, 2015 4:43 AM

Oct 2013
Actually i like the modern anime more than the old.
I hate the art of old anime
Sep 14, 2015 5:20 AM
Mar 2011
Hellsoldier said:
DateYutaka said:

i enerv said sales once

Well, admittedly Watanabe's impact is, as I mentioned earlier, more of a western thing. Tomino is behind Gundam, which was a culltural phenomena like no other. Tomino was more successful at leaving a mark with the Japanese. And without a Tomino, there would be no Hideaki Anno. I guess this much is true.

what has any watabame done to genrial westen pop culture

i was talking about people outside of anime fandom

Tomino had this

Sep 14, 2015 5:33 AM
Oct 2013
NicoZeta said:
Hellsoldier said:

Hayao Miyazaki is the best anime movie director before Satoshi Kon; if you want to watch Hayao Miyazaki`s movies then try watching Laputa, My Neighbor Totoro, Porco Rosso, Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away.

Psycho-Pass is not great just because the characters are like Books in Human form, The characters are quoting the most famous quotes in Famous Literature Books; the Dialogue is so fucking Pretentious it`s making me facepalm; the characters don`t tell their own motivations and goals; they just quote random famous quotes on Literature books after all; Akane`s Character Development is forced and fake, it`s not character development, that`s a character rewrite by swapping roles after Kougami disappeared.

(Picking up on Notebook for writing down suggestions)

About Yuasa, I kind of feel the same about several people in the Anime world. Anno being one of them. A work an year would be enough, really. Although yeah, the creative process is tough. I'm trying it out my self while writing on the computer. Jesus, it can be frustrating.

I still checked only a limited number of Watanabe's works. Namely Zankyou and Bebop. I guess you are talking about infodumps and that stuff. About Five, yeah, she's like the least interesting of all characters in the show. I loved it though. About deathless terrorism, I believe terrorist acts meant to merely scare or raise awareness have happened in the past. At the very least terrorist acts that merely target politicians or military targets have also happened.

Miyazaki... I will one day definitely pick up his works. I have to. I guess that I should at least have a formed opinion on one of anime's most notable and most controversial people. Also I feel I'm gonna like Spirited Away, at least.

Kon, same thing. Paranoia Agent was awesome, and I can only imagine what he can do with full-lenght films at his disposal. I heard Perfect Blue is particularly tense.

Dezaki, I've been eyeing Rose of Versailles for quite a while. I mean same mangaka as Oniisama e... (Ryoko Ikeda) and apparently they have the same director. Also, inspired Utena. Can't go wrong with that. Will obviously check the others as well.

Ichigura and Legend of Galactic Heroes... That show has been in the attick for quite a while now. I hear nothing but great things about the anime, the side-stories, the soundtrack, etc. If you can be enormous and be this praised, you are obviously doing something right.

Haven't check that many shows from KyoAni as of yet. I hear great things of Hyouka, though.

About Madoka, things are a bit compicated. I understand where the criticism lies, but at the same time, can't agree with it. This because of the following: I relate to Madoka Kaname, because I myself feel powerless even though everything is going down around me. Her case is related to death and magic. My case is related to poverty, health of loved ones, personal frustration, and far more recently, death. Sometimes, you just feel that worthless, even though very few people in this world are actually worthless. Sayaka, I actually relate to her desire to become a hero, as I myself have an ideal of what I want to be, and how I want to live. I have ideals. Mami, I simply like her. Kyouko, I guess a dreaded life can make you filled with sorrow and cold-blooded at points. Homura is the hardest one to explain... Maybe someone with gratitute who wanted to save someone who's precious to her... and became obssessed with her goal in the meanwhile. This conversation became to influenced by my personal outlook on life, and I apologize for that. It's just that, yeah, even characters that are seemingly absurd sound real to me at times.

Oh Nanoha... I overlooked you for long... After the first show, I left it cold, and only later did I binge watch A's and Strikers. Loved both, even though A's had the biggest impact. Quite the original work, yes. Ancient Civilizations, Dimension traveling... Clearly. Still finishing Vivid.

Stand Alone Complex is mind-blowingly awesome. Arise feels kinda lower in quality but I still like it. Can't forget the films though.

As for Psycho-Pass... I'll be frank here, some of my conversations with people are like that. I am not excluding the possibility of being awkward and getting along with awkward people. I don't mind it even if that's true. As for Akane... I didn't notice it. But most likely I overlooked some things. Second Season though (Ubukata and not Urobuchi this time), ruined what could've been a fine addition to the cast (Mika, originally a student from the school where the maiming of girls happened).

Maybe he's more popular because he's more recent. To be honest I never checked anything from the God of Manga. I know, I know. I am probably missing out on something, but I'm only in the Anime business for 2 years now. And yes, I find it unfair for something being more popular for being more recent. But I actually enjoy Urobuchi works. I already explained my train of thought on Madoka and Psycho-Pass.

As for Fate/Zero, well I guess maybe what you are saying is true. However, in Saber's defense, her position doesn't allow much more expression that what she has. She is a servant afterall. You need a benevolent master in order for that to happen.

Gargantia... I never watched Votoms. The oldest anime I watched are Megazone 23, Bubblegum Crisis, Akira, A.D. Police Files, Bubblegum Crash! and Oniisama e.... And I had no antipathy towards the women of Gargantia. I find most sexually-based insults to be unfair treatment.

Aldnoah.Zero... When I first saw it I though of Code Geass meets Gundam. Turns out it was so... But whatever, I liked it. Even if the defects are there.

I have been thinking of giving Love Live a try. I mean, I even have my brother trying to get me to watch it. I keep hearing about how good it is. And Hell, if I am watching Cinderella Girls, where I can sense a slight sense of artificial and excessive cuteness, I should watch Love Live.

Sep 14, 2015 5:34 AM
Oct 2013
DateYutaka said:
NicoZeta said:

Hayao Miyazaki is the best anime movie director before Satoshi Kon; if you want to watch Hayao Miyazaki`s movies then try watching Laputa, Grave of the Fireflies, My Neighbor Totoro, Porco Rosso, Princess Mononoke, The Cat Returns, Spirited Away.

Psycho-Pass is not great just because the characters are like Books with Human form, The characters are quoting the most famous quotes in Famous Literature Books; the Dialogue is so fucking Pretentious it`s making me facepalm; the characters don`t tell their own motivations and goals; they just quote random famous quotes on Literature books after all; Akane`s Character Development is forced and fake, it`s not character development, that`s a character rewrite by swapping roles after Kougami disappeared.

lol miyazaki did not od grave of the fireflies

True, but it follows a similar art-style.

Sep 14, 2015 5:37 AM
Oct 2013
DateYutaka said:
Hellsoldier said:

what has any watabame done to genrial westen pop culture

i was talking about people outside of anime fandom

Tomino had this

Ah, you mean like Blade Runner is influential even outside Hollywood? Then I guess Tomino and only a few other people qualify.

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (7) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 »

More topics from this board

» The problem with most modern anime (spoilers for some series)

Ebb1993 - Yesterday

29 by Ebb1993 »»
1 minute ago

» Adventure/Action Shounen with the Best and Worst ROMANCE (just the ones that even tried)

Rob7 - Yesterday

16 by Rob7 »»
1 minute ago

» Anime as good as Evangelion/Utena?

Thecutedog - 5 hours ago

9 by Absurdo_N »»
3 minutes ago

» Can people who pirate anime be considered anime fans? What do you think? ( 1 2 )

RainyEvenings - Sep 10

82 by Dienen »»
4 minutes ago

» How I started a fight. By saying let's fight Naruto is Goat!

Ken__Kaneki__Kun - Sep 19

22 by Zettaiken »»
8 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.