Forum Settings
Forums

Why Most Old School Anime is way better than Seasonal Modern Anime?

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (7) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 »
Sep 10, 2015 10:37 AM
Mar 2011
yo jai examples given
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Sep 10, 2015 10:37 AM

Oct 2010
Okay. One of them is from Gundam 00 and the lyrics talk about fighting and hope for the future. Another one is from Kuroko no Basket and the lyrics talk about moving forward and improving, which seems fitting for a sports anime, and they even mention the basketball game.

I don't get the point. At all.
Sep 10, 2015 10:45 AM

Jan 2013
EverydayIfight said:
Klad said:
Knb's case is, its supernatural addition. I don't know why the author added so much pointless and nonsensical stuff in his series. He tried too hard to cover up a move with fancy words, only for them not to make sense in the end. As I said, if you want mindless "entertainment" of super saiyans having a ball and a basket, then KnB is for you. The tension is totally non existent in every match, cause the viewer has an idea of a supernatural element will happen and will affect the game. And this is why the comparsion between the two series should never be done. (Kuroko no Basket should be compared to Inoue's other basketball manga, Buzzer Beater which takes place outside the earth. Now that's a fair comparsion)

I wasn't going to reply but. Did you use that meme so much that you believe KnB is supernatural? It's not. Factually not, so stop with that nonsense. And I couldn't care less if you think there was tension or not since that's just your opinion (for example Aomine vs Kagami zone is more intense and has more tension than the entirety of Slam Dunk) KnB is actually smarter than Slam Dunk for me but w/e, no point in arguing that with your tunnel vision.

KnB is unrealistic but it doesn't reach the super power level. Everything in it is just exaggerations, not impossibilities. 3 points from across the court exist, they are just improbable. Akashi's emperor eye is an exaggeration of him being perceptive. Ankle breakers is a legit thing in NBA just search youtube. Kise copy nonsense is just exaggerated but not impossible. Aomine is an exaggerated form of free style basketball usually found in street basketball. The zone is legit term, not only in Basket ball but in sports in general, it's just exaggerated here as it's more of a mode that can be turn on and off than a natural thing, etc.

What the author did was much like other Jump authors is include battle like elements on a sports setting. The same thing happens with Shoukegi no Souma and many other shows where the premsie is not supernatural but it''s so unrealistic.

So no, comparing it to Slam Dunk is a valid comparison. The fundamental difference between the two is that Slam Dunk took a realistic approach and is a genuine sports manga, while KnB took an unrealistic approach. I always facepalm when people criticize KnB and pretend it wasn't unrealistic on purpose. People are so close minded and gullible that they put inherent values to certain elements, ignoring the context but I digress.
What meme are you talking about, cause I'm not getting you at all.

that entire paragraph you wrote about the exaggerations, you further proved my point. I guess it's really foolish to compare a normal series which is about basketball, to another series who takes the "exaggerations in basketball" in an extreme way.

And I couldn't care less if you think there was tension or not since that's just your opinion (for example Aomine vs Kagami zone is more intense and has more tension than the entirety of Slam Dunk)
Alright, this is just one of your opinions too.
Sep 10, 2015 10:48 AM
Mar 2011
jal90 said:
Okay. One of them is from Gundam 00 and the lyrics talk about fighting and hope for the future. Another one is from Kuroko no Basket and the lyrics talk about moving forward and improving, which seems fitting for a sports anime, and they even mention the basketball game.

are you saying they have more lyical context than the three older ones do and

one osmg like this of moden time that does link well ot ts anime is this perfecly like the olddays
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

Sep 10, 2015 10:57 AM

Feb 2010
jal90 said:

I think what he means is that lyrics with vague themes like the ones you mentioned can be applied to a wide range of shows/genres, while stuff like that Mazinger OP can ONLY be applied to the Mazinger series because of it's lyrics.

But there's still Openings like this in modern anime, they're just a bit more rare.

Take this for example. It consists of the singer yelling the name of the show, so unlike the KnB or Gundam 00 Openings it really wouldn't work for any other show even if they shared themes.
I probably regret this post by now.
Sep 10, 2015 10:57 AM

Oct 2010
FGAU1912 said:
jal90 said:

are you saying they have more lyical context than the three older ones do

They certainly do have lyrical context because they fit what seem to be the themes of these anime. If you are asking for a word by word synopsis then sure, they have gone worse at that. Except the lyrics for Macross: Do you remember love? for instance are just as non-specific as the modern examples I mentioned.

I won't even go into asking why the hell making a direct reference to the show makes the lyrics better when setting a general theme or mood works just as well.

@Antilope yeah, I guess he means that... but then the only thing lyrics must do to be good is yelling the title of the show? Okay...
Sep 10, 2015 10:58 AM

Feb 2010
jal90 said:
FGAU1912 said:

They certainly do have lyrical context because they fit what seem to be the themes of these anime. If you are asking for a word by word synopsis then sure, they have gone worse at that. Except the lyrics for Macross: Do you remember love?, for instance are just as non-specific as the modern examples I quoted.

I won't even go into asking why the hell making a direct reference to the show makes the lyrics better when setting a general theme or mood works just as well.

I'd say it creates a closer connection between the song and the show. Whether you care about that or not is a different story though.
Sep 10, 2015 11:01 AM
Mar 2011
jal90 said:
FGAU1912 said:

They certainly do have lyrical context because they fit what seem to be the themes of these anime. If you are asking for a word by word synopsis then sure, they have gone worse at that. Except the lyrics for Macross: Do you remember love?, for instance are just as non-specific as the modern examples I quoted.

im not talking tematic link i taking direct lyical links

or your just going to hollywood route no just tematic link and not direct lyrical link

thats what i mean by lyical context ie olde naime had ani son yes tthat is a genre here in Japan

Sep 10, 2015 11:03 AM

Mar 2012
Antilope said:

Garo is Great, still better than typical modern shounen anime.
speaking of modern shounen, best shounen anime of 2015 goes to Ushio To Tora.
Do you play Azure Lane?
Then please join my fanclub
https://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=74907
Sep 10, 2015 11:04 AM

Oct 2010
Antilope said:
I'd say it creates a closer connection between the song and the show. Whether you care about that or not is a different story though.

Sure, it is forced to do so because it limits the context of the song. A song that mentions Mazinger Z explicitly can only be about Mazinger Z. But still and as said, I don't see the advantage, not to mention that yelling the title of the show alone doesn't guarantee referencing and tackling the content of the show well or even in a unique and recognizable manner.

I guess it's a matter of opinion after all.
Sep 10, 2015 11:04 AM
Aug 2015
FGAU1912 said:
jal90 said:

are you saying they have more lyical context than the three older ones do and

one osmg like this of moden time that does link well ot ts anime is this perfecly like the olddays

two things, first, you're typing like a grade school student.... i have to decipher half of what you're typing to even start to make sense of it, so i can't take anything you post seriously.
second, ive seen some op and ed themes that fit really well with the series, take MSMM's ending theme Magia for example.
Sep 10, 2015 11:06 AM

Feb 2010
jal90 said:

@Antilope yeah, I guess he means that... but then the only thing lyrics must do to be good is yelling the title of the show? Okay...

I think the point is that if the song directly references the content of the show you actually know the artists had a clue about the show and wrote the song specifically for that purpose. While there's tons of songs that vaguely cover themes like moving forward, competition, friendship etc... and the producer could just pick a random one, throw it in the anime and it would still work even if the artists didn't even know about the show when they first wrote the song. The personal connection between artist/song/show is just more tangible.

Again, it's not something I personally care that much about, but I can see how it could make a difference for the (hardcore) fans.
Sep 10, 2015 11:07 AM
Mar 2011
jal90 said:
Antilope said:

Sure, it is forced to do so because it limits the context of the song. A song that mentions Mazinger Z explicitly can only be about Mazinger Z. But still and as said, I don't see the advantage, not to mention that yelling the title of the show alone doesn't guarantee referencing and tackling the content of the show well or even in a unique and recognizable manner.

I guess it's a matter of opinion after all.

listen to the whole song it sums up the show well

as do all anison songs

Sep 10, 2015 11:15 AM

Aug 2013
Klad said:
EverydayIfight said:

I wasn't going to reply but. Did you use that meme so much that you believe KnB is supernatural? It's not. Factually not, so stop with that nonsense. And I couldn't care less if you think there was tension or not since that's just your opinion (for example Aomine vs Kagami zone is more intense and has more tension than the entirety of Slam Dunk) KnB is actually smarter than Slam Dunk for me but w/e, no point in arguing that with your tunnel vision.

KnB is unrealistic but it doesn't reach the super power level. Everything in it is just exaggerations, not impossibilities. 3 points from across the court exist, they are just improbable. Akashi's emperor eye is an exaggeration of him being perceptive. Ankle breakers is a legit thing in NBA just search youtube. Kise copy nonsense is just exaggerated but not impossible. Aomine is an exaggerated form of free style basketball usually found in street basketball. The zone is legit term, not only in Basket ball but in sports in general, it's just exaggerated here as it's more of a mode that can be turn on and off than a natural thing, etc.

What the author did was much like other Jump authors is include battle like elements on a sports setting. The same thing happens with Shoukegi no Souma and many other shows where the premsie is not supernatural but it''s so unrealistic.

So no, comparing it to Slam Dunk is a valid comparison. The fundamental difference between the two is that Slam Dunk took a realistic approach and is a genuine sports manga, while KnB took an unrealistic approach. I always facepalm when people criticize KnB and pretend it wasn't unrealistic on purpose. People are so close minded and gullible that they put inherent values to certain elements, ignoring the context but I digress.
What meme are you talking about, cause I'm not getting you at all.

that entire paragraph you wrote about the exaggerations, you further proved my point. I guess it's really foolish to compare a normal series which is about basketball, to another series who takes the "exaggerations in basketball" in an extreme way.

And I couldn't care less if you think there was tension or not since that's just your opinion (for example Aomine vs Kagami zone is more intense and has more tension than the entirety of Slam Dunk)
Alright, this is just one of your opinions too.

Hopeless.
Sep 10, 2015 12:14 PM

Jan 2013
EverydayIfight said:
Hopeless.
Ouch
Sep 10, 2015 1:26 PM

Dec 2012
As someone who watched a lot of both, I disagree with the assertion that old is better.
"The name's Gambit. Remember it."
-Gambit "X-Men '97"

Sep 10, 2015 1:55 PM

May 2008
AMEN. PREACH IT SISTAH
Sep 10, 2015 5:55 PM

May 2013
Kruszer said:
As someone who watched a lot of both, I disagree with the assertion that old is better.

Kek. You haven't even watched the cream of the crop of old anime.
Sep 10, 2015 5:58 PM

Apr 2013
Japs enjoy moe shit after their economy and society went to shit
It is so dense. Every single image has so many things going on.
Sep 10, 2015 6:26 PM
Aug 2015
I don't get why so many people hate moe so much, the cuteness is really quite pleasing to the eyes compared to a lot of other styles I've seen. To me a lot of the older series look unrefined, unpolished, and rough around the edges (and not in a good way). Of course, ultimately this boils down to each individual's opinion, why so many people try to force their views onto others I don't get, but frankly it needs to end, you pretty much are all acting like a bunch of idiotic A-holes trying to force others to see things your way.
Sep 10, 2015 6:29 PM

Nov 2010
Ugoki said:
Kruszer said:

You've only watched 50 anime, I doubt you've watched much of the cream of the crop from new or old anime.
Sep 10, 2015 6:38 PM
Mar 2011
ForgottenXthe3rd said:
I don't get why so many people hate moe so much, the cuteness is really quite pleasing to the eyes compared to a lot of other styles I've seen. To me a lot of the older series look unrefined, unpolished, and rough around the edges (and not in a good way). Of course, ultimately this boils down to each individual's opinion, why so many people try to force their views onto others I don't get, but frankly it needs to end, you pretty much are all acting like a bunch of idiotic A-holes trying to force others to see things your way.

moe chacters are not realistic on personality

Sep 10, 2015 6:42 PM

Jul 2014
I accept that as your opinion but for me I could not disagree more. It's rare for me to find an "Old School Anime" that I truly enjoy. It's mainly an art style thing.
Sep 10, 2015 6:45 PM
Aug 2015
FGAU1912 said:
ForgottenXthe3rd said:

Personality?! PERSONALITY?!! oh man you sure don't know anything do you?
Sep 10, 2015 6:51 PM
Mar 2011
ForgottenXthe3rd said:
FGAU1912 said:

compare maison to nay modern romance manga kyokyo is some id legit like some one like irl caring and dutifully i good realistic personnnlyt

compare her to any yandare in moden romance tales yandare rae whooly unreal

Sep 10, 2015 6:52 PM

Jul 2012
FGAU1912 said:
ForgottenXthe3rd said:

compare maison to nay modern romance manga kyokyo is some id legit like some one like irl caring and dutifully i good realistic personnnlyt

maison ikkoku's main female isn't realistic though..........................
Sep 10, 2015 6:55 PM
Aug 2015
mayukachan said:
FGAU1912 said:

Yanderes in general are unrealistic, you'd actually have to look for one to even find one, and even then, it'd be nearly impossible to find one. Besides, moe or not doesn't always have an effect on the personality, in fact its easier to find series where it doesnt than where it does.
Sep 10, 2015 7:02 PM
Mar 2011
mayukachan said:
FGAU1912 said:

she is you know yamato nedeshiko is what most Japanese men what no lie of they had choice more than a few existed irl then you would see im right

heace why the women national soccer team s nicknamed the yamato Nedeshikos also

is common word ouside of anime sho women liek are real peronalty wise

i have never in in my over 30 yeras of life

a true iRL Tsundare wither tpye one or type two and/or and reallfe Kuu or yan

and amd no would ever opnely call them seve that

Sep 10, 2015 7:05 PM
Aug 2015
FGAU1912 said:
mayukachan said:

she is you know yamato nedeshiko is what most Japanese men what no lie of they had choice more than a few existed irl then you would see im right

Serious, work on your english/typing, its annoying, and sure, there probably arent many of those kinds of people, tho im pretty darn sure that there are at least a few of each out there, but thats part of what draws people to them, the fact that its unlike anything around them irl.
Sep 10, 2015 7:15 PM

Jun 2007
best animu
Sep 10, 2015 7:46 PM

May 2013
IntroverTurtle said:
Ugoki said:

You've only watched 50 anime, I doubt you've watched much of the cream of the crop from new or old anime.

I mostly watch the good ones, unlike idiots who will watch everything that airs every season just because.

ForgottenXthe3rd said:

No wonder you like NGNL that much.
UgokiSep 10, 2015 7:53 PM
Sep 10, 2015 7:48 PM

Nov 2010
Ugoki said:
IntroverTurtle said:

I mostly watch the good ones, unlike idiots who will watch everything that airs every season just because.
Whatever you say.
Sep 10, 2015 7:57 PM

Jun 2014
Ugoki said:
IntroverTurtle said:

> laughs at somebody for not watching the cream of the crop of old anime.
> has seen almost nothing.
> calls folks idiots for watching a lot of airing anime.

You heard it here folks. We're idiots for watching a lot of new anime!

No way its because we enjoy the medium, lol.

Some members here say the most silly things.
Sep 10, 2015 8:01 PM

May 2013
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Ugoki said:

Unlike your ordinary anime fans, I view anime merely as just another entertainment medium and I have no obligation to "enjoy it" just because it's anime.

Rather than watching shitty anime, I could be reading books instead.
Sep 10, 2015 8:05 PM
Aug 2015
Ugoki said:
IntroverTurtle said:

ForgottenXthe3rd said:

That supposed to be an insult? Cause NGNL was easily the best of its season and better than most other series that aired before and after it.
Sep 10, 2015 8:06 PM
Mar 2011
ForgottenXthe3rd said:
Ugoki said:

That supposed to be an insult? Cause NGNL was easily the best of its season and better than most other series that aired before and after it.

. hack is still better

Sep 10, 2015 8:08 PM
Aug 2015
FGAU1912 said:
ForgottenXthe3rd said:

. hack is still better

Personally i'd have to disagree, not to mention i dislike it when people compare NGNL to those standard game based ones.... too many people compare things to .hack and SAO.....those are in the past, leave them there.
Sep 10, 2015 8:09 PM

Sep 2013
But hey, Gundam 00 and Unicorn use very good 2D Animations. And the 3D is not bad~ ^^
Follow sui-u on tumblr~ best tumblr all time!~ <3
http://sui-u.tumblr.com/
Sep 10, 2015 8:10 PM
Mar 2011
ForgottenXthe3rd said:
FGAU1912 said:

. hack is still better

Personally i'd have to disagree, not to mention i dislike it when people compare NGNL to those standard game based ones.... too many people compare things to .hack and SAO.....those are in the past, leave them there.

i talk as a franchise to but sign ois brong as sin but i founf sao to badlly witten in anime from to be good

Sep 10, 2015 8:13 PM

Jun 2014
Ugoki said:
Kagami_Hiiragi said:

Unlike your ordinary anime fans, I view anime merely as just another entertainment medium and I have no obligation to "enjoy it" just because it's anime.

Rather than watching shitty anime, I could be reading books instead.

The point is that your posts were full of irony and lacked any sense. Plus, you just called us idiots for watching a lot of airing anime. Not to mention I nor Turtle ever said you had an obligation to watch anime.

Just because we watch a lot of anime doesn't mean we're idiots. Don't go throwing digs just because your low quality and ironic posts were called out. Go read books, nobody cares what entertainment mediums you like.
Sep 10, 2015 8:13 PM
Aug 2015
FGAU1912 said:
ForgottenXthe3rd said:

i talk as a franchise to but sign ois brong as sin but i founf sao to badlly witten in anime from to be good

The issue with NGNL is that it ended right as things were starting to get more interesting, I'm sure that if another season of it ever comes out (and is well done like the 1st), it'll become really popular and well-known.
Sep 10, 2015 8:18 PM

Jul 2013
ForgottenXthe3rd said:
Ugoki said:

Sounds like somebody didn't watch Ping Pong, Silver Spoon, Monogatari SS and Shirobako.
Sep 10, 2015 8:19 PM

Jul 2012
FGAU1912 said:
mayukachan said:

being the ideal japanese housewife doesn't make one more "realistic"
Sep 10, 2015 8:21 PM
Mar 2011
mayukachan said:
FGAU1912 said:

being the ideal japanese housewife doesn't make one more "realistic"

housewife does come in to its woman but people like it do exist in in real life

Sep 10, 2015 8:22 PM

May 2015
NicoZeta said:
-Beautiful 2D Mecha animation

Sep 10, 2015 8:22 PM

Jun 2012
Maybe it's just a personal thing. I find plenty of old and new stuff to keep me entertain.
Sep 10, 2015 8:23 PM
Aug 2015
Kruzy said:
ForgottenXthe3rd said:

Sounds like somebody didn't watch Ping Pong, Silver Spoon, Monogatari SS and Shirobako.

1. i dont watch sports base anime, dont like the genre
2. not my style
3. Seen most of that one, still like NGNL better
4. meh
also, i did say "most" not all, and i try to seperate shows more than most people do, i prefer to avoid comparing them, unless they have enough similarities to be worth comparing/
ForgottenXthe3rdSep 10, 2015 8:27 PM
Sep 10, 2015 8:30 PM

Jul 2013
ForgottenXthe3rd said:
Kruzy said:

2. not my style
4. meh
also, i did say "most" not all

Well "most" airing shows are pretty shit especially the ones in the past 4 seasons so that's not really saying much about NGNL and you still said that the show was "easily" the best of its season even though we had Ping Pong, Sidonia, Stardust Crusaders, Haikyuu and WIXOSS.
Sep 10, 2015 8:34 PM
Aug 2015
Kruzy said:
ForgottenXthe3rd said:

2. not my style
4. meh
also, i did say "most" not all

Well "most" airing shows are pretty shit especially the ones in the past 4 seasons so that's not really saying much about NGNL and you still said that the show was "easily" the best of its season even though we had Ping Pong, Sidonia, Stardust Crusaders, Haikyuu and WIXOSS.

for one thing, there are a number of shows i dont watch due to time restrictions, and another, there are some genres i can't stand so i try to avoid those genres unless there's something that catches my attention. and there have been some pretty good shows this past year, quite a few good ones this season in particular.
Sep 10, 2015 8:39 PM

Jul 2013
ForgottenXthe3rd said:
Kruzy said:

for one thing, there are a number of shows i dont watch due to time restrictions, and another, there are some genres i can't stand so i try to avoid those genres unless there's something that catches my attention. and there have been some pretty good shows this past year, quite a few good ones this season in particular.

Then you shouldn't claim something like that if you only watch a small portion of shows every season.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (7) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 »

More topics from this board

» Favorite anime girl school uniform

VampireSylphy - 11 hours ago

16 by DreamingBeats »»
2 minutes ago

» anime sites with closed captions for dub?

Demeter-san - 60 minutes ago

3 by __Arkham__ »»
9 minutes ago

» Are bigger boobs really more of a draw for female characters?

fallout45 - Yesterday

15 by LostSpectre »»
11 minutes ago

» Animes you wish had dubs?

Mattenan - 12 hours ago

17 by DreamingBeats »»
37 minutes ago

» I don't understand why shoujo is so much more shunned than all other demographics. ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Fario-P - Apr 27, 2023

313 by SgtBateMan »»
43 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.