Forum Settings
Forums

Will you still actively watch anime if every illegal source of anime was shut down?

New
Pages (7) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 »
Mar 29, 2015 10:11 PM

Feb 2011
no, in my country i cant watch/buy, and to buy from other countries, i dont have the money

so no
and that would be sad
Mar 30, 2015 1:47 AM

Nov 2010
No, the only anime I could get in my country would be shonens like Naruto... So yeah, I'd pretty much stop watching anime for ever.
Mar 30, 2015 1:57 AM

Nov 2010
retrogamer32x said:
Alskan said:
No, the only anime I could get in my country would be shonens like Naruto... So yeah, I'd pretty much stop watching anime for ever.

I don't know what country you live in, but if it's an EU one, you should keep on your politicians about it, some of them are calling for the abolition of region blocking. Now that Netflix is on the same page, you might see it happen, although Hollywood will fight it tooth and nail (I have no idea how this will play out with anime).

Luckily (not so much, really) I'm from Argentina.
Mar 30, 2015 6:32 AM

Jan 2015
TheDerpMan said:
ToaofJustice said:
Am I the only person who buys Anime physically?

Don't you guys like having, organizing and looking at your collection?

You're not alone, man. I love adding to my collection. I regularly walk into best buy and check the anime section.

That's good to know. :D
Mar 30, 2015 3:26 PM
Aug 2012
retrogamer32x said:

psychopath666 said:
Only if one of the legal ways of watching anime was for free. Something like spotify but for anime. Streaming in my opinion is eye cancer, but if it was free and I would be supporting the creators buy watching I would gadly put up with it.

People do know that CR, Hulu, Viki, Daisuki, etc. (even official episodes on Youtube from distributors like Manga Entertainment) are free, right? I think Netflix is the only one you have to pay for, you just pay to get rid of ads.

Hulu if you are outside of US like me, forget it, doesn't work. Crunchyroll I tried, I think a few years ago, and the 1 week delay for non-premiums, at the time just put me away, cause I didn't give two f*cks about it, if I could just torrent it and play it immediately in my computer. The other two I've never heard of.
I might give another try at crunchyroll, presently I can deal with the one week delay cause I'm not as butthurt as I used to be :) . I think at that time my internet connection also sucked, so the constant pauses for buffering were a pain in the ass. I gave it a try a few minutes ago and it actually seems fine so I'll try it and maybe stick to it. Thanks for the suggestions.

Also I am lazy as f*ck so I don't have the patience to go looking in every single site for legal way of watching what I like. If it was all in one place it would be perfect, but there will allways be greedy people who think their way is the best and if people want to watch their stuff they have to do what they want. Well I am fan of simplicity, if it gives me to much trouble, I'll just look for a better way of doing it, if it is not legal, I'll judge if it's worth it or not. Convenience will always play a part. Sorry for the rumble, just my opinion. :)
psychopath666Mar 30, 2015 3:41 PM
Mar 30, 2015 6:24 PM
Aug 2012
:O Didn't even know there were so many. Thanks again. I'll be sure to check them. Now see, if those holywood lawyers sent a list with these kinds of sites instead of sending letters of pay or else, maybe something would change. But I guess that just shows you what their prioritie$ are. :)
Jul 19, 2015 5:27 AM

Apr 2012
Maybe no, unless they serve some hq mini-encoded video, because of this quota limited internet.
Daisuki: 480p 300MB~ CR: 480p 150MB~
SomeEncoded10bitEncodedAnime: 720p: 110MB~ 480p: 60MB~

*edit:
Hei, thanks for the list, though the only one work is Daisuki for now, and some old stuff...
dedoyxpJul 19, 2015 5:34 AM
Jul 19, 2015 5:28 AM

Nov 2014
No if it's not free.

Jul 19, 2015 5:33 AM
May 2015
Eagleheart_ said:
AironicallyHuman said:
I'd continue to pre-order manga, and I'd still pre-order the FEW UK releases of interest... but paying for streamed content? No. I'd be better off paying for air.

Shuhan said:
No I would stop, Im not willing to spend 60+ dollars for a single anime. Nor will I ever subscribe to a streaming website.

I don't see why people are so averse to paying for streamed content. You pay an extremely low price for gaining access to watching anything and everything in a large library of anime until the period ends. Given that you usually only rewatch your favourites, this is a lot better than owning boxes of anime collecting dust. It also provides a great failsafe, since an anime you ended up not liking it will hardly affect you at all, compared to buying it and regretting it forever.

Srsly, for crunchyroll its like $6 AUD (i think) for a month (that's less than a big mac meal over here). In that time, you can potentially watch 1800 episodes of anime. How many boxsets of physical copies would that make? :S And if you absolutely want to own a physical copy of an anime, then you can also buy it. You can do both, so I don't see why people completely omit paid streaming as a valid option. :S

^ this. It's as pocket money. I think my Netflix (which we have anyway, irrespective of anime), funimation and crunchyroll accounts cost like £15 per month or something. If I were to drop Netflix, it's probably £7 per month, if that.

And accessing broader content, if you aren't in the U.S. Just do what everyone does to watch US pace TV shows. These companies know, but they don't care, it's subscription dollars.
Shameless plugging a review site I help out with: http://www.almostmainstream.net
Jul 19, 2015 5:38 AM

Jan 2015
ExTamplier said:
No if it's not free.
Jul 19, 2015 7:33 AM

Feb 2015
Get this,sites like kissanime,GoGo anime,animeshow etc will not vanish EVER as long as the internet exists.As long a thing called internet exists.Piracy exists and anime sites exists so no matter what ever the government does to stop piracy it will never EVER stop and new sources will come up like shit from your filthy asshole so yeah....it is impossible i will ever stop watching anime.End of discussion
Jul 19, 2015 7:48 AM

Jun 2007
CyberAnimeLover said:
Get this,sites like kissanime,GoGo anime,animeshow etc will not vanish EVER as long as the internet exists.As long a thing called internet exists.Piracy exists and anime sites exists so no matter what ever the government does to stop piracy it will never EVER stop and new sources will come up like shit from your filthy asshole so yeah....it is impossible i will ever stop watching anime.End of discussion
Someone doesn't understand these things called "hypothetical questions."

Everything that connects to MAL

Contains Ecchi, but not Tagged Ecchi: Part 1 || Part 2 || Part 3

Jul 19, 2015 8:03 AM

Jan 2012
No I wouldn't .... My opinion of Crunchyroll subs are very low , and being a person who refuses to watch modern Anime in anything lower than 720p (I don't mind old anime in 480p). As well as the outrageous prices for Blu-Ray's I will pass.

I will then just continue going to the library and taking out books weekly and reading rather than breaking the bank. ($60 per anime Blu-ray and some Anime with Blu-ray sets of $100) it get's much too expensive to justify it's costs.
Jul 19, 2015 8:35 AM

Aug 2012
I'd probably stop, I live on streaming anime.
Jul 19, 2015 8:37 AM

Aug 2010
Scud said:
I only watch it because it's free.

"One must die and one must live. No victory, no defeat. The survivor will carry on the fight. It is our destiny... The one who survives will inherit the title of Boss. And the one who inherits the title of Boss will face an existence of endless battle."

Jul 19, 2015 8:50 AM

Feb 2015
Zalis said:
CyberAnimeLover said:
Someone doesn't understand these things called "hypothetical questions."

Of course i don't understand it.I'm a fucking asshole.And of course i would stop watching anime.I'm 13 for gods sake i ain't got a goddamn penny.But it still would be impossible that piracy in its entirety will be wiped out when piece of shits like me depend on it and some ''alpha'' piece of shit decides to make more piracy sites to keep piece of shits like me from losing my only means of entertainment
Jul 19, 2015 8:57 AM

Nov 2013
No because it just a fucking cartoons.
I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die.

Jul 19, 2015 8:59 AM

Apr 2014
-BigBoss- said:
Scud said:
Pretty much, but I AM gonna buy some items when I'm going to a anime convention this summer.
Jul 19, 2015 9:05 AM
Feb 2015
Well for me the reason for using illegal ways to watch/download my anime, read my manga and get my games is because it's the easiest way.

In order to watch on crunchyroll/funimation i'd have to log in if i'm not using my own pc where i'm automatically logged in if it's unavailable to non-members and get myself a better job and go through the whole bother of making online payments for subscriptions for the premium only material, go to the right anime, go to the anime i want to watch and then the right episode.After that i can start watching.

And in the end i'd have average subs because translators of those site get paid so they have minimum standards but it's their job so they usually do their job well enough to make it the subs more or less match the dialogue, nothing more nothing less.

Now take for comparison kissanime where i usually watch my anime illegally: instead of logging in in places with the increased risk of being hacked if watching in public places ( durig breaktimes at school/work for example ) i only have to tell my addblocker to exclude kissanime because the videos won't work if you don't allow them the income they need to keep site up and running, and i can start watching, no hassle with making sure pc doesn't remember my password when i'm not at home and having to log in every single time, no subscription fees, nothing more then going to the right anime and telling addblock to let the site of the hook if i haven't watched on the pc before.

Added advantage is that the subs are either horriblesubs in which case i have average subs as soon as they become avaible ( except for first eps of something funimation subs, then it's often waiting for ages because funimation is being a douche releasing subs of first episodes a while after it starts airing on purpose ) or professional fansubs which usually mean more dedicated subs instead of the "ah close enough" subs of official translators.

So yes if all illegal sources where to be taken down official sites would become the easiest, but luckily torrents are so deeply rooted into the internet i doubt i'll ever have to go through the hassle of paying subscription fees for just average quality subs
Jul 19, 2015 9:14 AM

Jan 2015
I want to support my favorite shows. But I don't have money. So no I wouldn't watch anime unless its on crunchyroll.
Jul 19, 2015 10:12 AM

May 2010
No idea, but it would be a hard thing to do, since there are no anime being published in my country...

But I would definitely keep on buying manga.
Jul 19, 2015 2:31 PM

May 2015
Scud said:
Jul 19, 2015 2:33 PM

Jul 2015
I actually have no idea.Probably would stop idk.
Jul 19, 2015 2:46 PM

Feb 2013
I really hope I could. Believe me, I would LOVE to pay for the poor studios for watching their art and to support them make more, but my financial situation does not allow me to do that. When I go to cons I always try to buy some manga, figures, posters and other stuff from the series I love to support them, but I can't afford doing that more than couple times a year.

Someday I hope the things will be better and I will start using the streaming sites and other more expensive ways.
Jul 19, 2015 3:11 PM

Mar 2012
I live in a developed country where you can still buy 1$ copies of anything anywhere.

So yeah I'd still be pArghhhh-t of the pirate world.
End Zionazism
Jul 19, 2015 3:13 PM

Dec 2014
No. Anime is not worth my money.
Jul 19, 2015 3:18 PM
Jul 2018
Gunism said:
Scud said:
Jul 19, 2015 4:16 PM

Dec 2012
Of course! There are legal sites that are free and I don't mind supporting the industry if there's a show I really want to watch and it's affordable.

notsomacho said:
Absolutely not

fuck supporting the creators. If they wanted support they'd make better shit

Let me get this straight: You watch a lot of anime but it's still shit? Why do you watch it then if you don't like it? XD
Feel free to message me if you want to chat!

What I Look For In Anime:

1. A good atmosphere.
2. Great music.
3. Well-written characters.
4. Actual entertainment.
5. Awesome visuals.
Jul 19, 2015 4:21 PM

Dec 2013
I'd continue to watch it. I've been collecting anime dvds/blurays for a long time already and don't see myself stopping. Just got in Noragami on bluray this week and am enjoying the hell out of it. The amount of freeloaders is ridiculous though, but at least they're honest lol.
Jul 19, 2015 4:22 PM

Jul 2014
Hell nah I'm not wastin my money on anime.
Jul 19, 2015 4:31 PM

Jan 2015
No.
Jul 19, 2015 4:51 PM

Aug 2014
Probably not
Jul 19, 2015 5:04 PM

Jun 2015
True fans will support the industry, its like wanting your favorite singer to make more albums, but you don't want to buy their cds/songs to fund their music
Jul 19, 2015 5:14 PM

Jan 2015
jengjeng26 said:
True fans will support the industry, its like wanting your favorite singer to make more albums, but you don't want to buy their cds/songs to fund their music

Well I guess I'm not a true fan then since I'm not spending any money on this especially since I don't have any money.
Jul 20, 2015 2:22 AM

Feb 2015
Again,i can't buy anime if the websites or torrents are gone but i sure will buy my hentai.I can't live without that shit.I'll do anything,i'll become a male prostitute to get money but i will but dat hentai.
Jul 20, 2015 3:13 PM

Jun 2015
Rebel_Roo said:
jengjeng26 said:

Well I guess I'm not a true fan then since I'm not spending any money on this especially since I don't have any money.

There will always be free anime on cartoon network, toonami. Or you could borrow dvds from a friend.
Jul 20, 2015 4:05 PM

Jan 2008
For me, I would still watch, but I would not pay. I would watch free streams. But I would also have about 20 years worth of anime on my HDD, so it would not be a problem.
Jul 20, 2015 6:41 PM

Jan 2015
90% of my anime viewing is legal now so yes.

Besides, most of the anime streaming services allow you to watch anime for free, you just have to wait a few days/weeks after it has aired in Japan to watch it. For people in other countries, use a VPN.
Jul 20, 2015 6:45 PM
Nov 2013
Nowhere near as much. I doubt that will ever happen, but if it did, DVD prices would raise probably tenfold and I'm profiting huge off my nice collection.
Jul 20, 2015 7:11 PM

Jan 2015
jengjeng26 said:
Rebel_Roo said:

There will always be free anime on cartoon network, toonami. Or you could borrow dvds from a friend.

Yes, I know there are alternatives, I do occasionally watch One Piece on Demand.
Jul 20, 2015 7:13 PM

May 2013
Yes, as more than half of the anime I currently watch is currently from legal streaming sites. It's very unlikely that I would buy individual anime as that can be ridiculously expensive, but $20 for a full season's worth of 20 to 30 anime in addition to some hundred other anime is affordable.
Insert philosophical quote or exceptional picture here.
Jul 20, 2015 7:34 PM
Jul 2018
Yes I would but I wouldn't be too happy about paying for various reasons.
Jul 20, 2015 7:39 PM
Jan 2010
There's still anime on cable and Daisuki for my anime fix.
Too bad even paid anime sites have shitty subs. I always wonder, "Do these people actually pay for this?"
Jul 20, 2015 7:45 PM

Sep 2010
I still got Crunchyroll, but the sad thing is no classics are hardly available on legal streaming services and when we got one dedicated to them (AnimeSol) it was so under advertised they shut it down. Also there are a couple series that do not get legal streams every season.
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Jul 20, 2015 7:47 PM

Sep 2013
I'll lean Japanese then move to Japan to watch them for free on TV.
Jul 20, 2015 8:10 PM

Jun 2015
I'll watch whatever's available on legal streaming sites, but I won't buy anime.

I'm cheap.
-_-
Jul 20, 2015 9:52 PM

Dec 2012
I'll pay whatever price to watch.
Jul 20, 2015 11:16 PM
Feb 2014
Seeing that this is going to be a reality if the TPP does pass, I don't know, but probably yes. Even if it means tweaking my watching habits entirely, I'm all for it.
Jul 20, 2015 11:41 PM

Dec 2013
I probably would, since I was watching it through Hulu until recently.
Jul 20, 2015 11:52 PM

Nov 2011
I think the word you're looking for is "legitimate/illegitimate" or (more dubiously) "ethical/unethical", since legality varies from country to country. Making certain sources illegal in one country doesn't mean they are in another. That is, shutting down sources based in certain countries is rather unlikely even if it did become illegal (and was enforced) in your own country.

Nitpicking aside, if legitimate sources were the only sources available, yes, I'd probably still watch anime. There's a lot available on legit streaming sites. It would be sad to lose all of the series that aren't officially licensed for overseas release, though.
Pages (7) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 »

More topics from this board

» How does your waifu do under pressure?

SgtBateMan - 14 minutes ago

2 by Rally- »»
55 seconds ago

Poll: » Will Isekai Anime Series one day surpass Mecha anime series in popularity and in the numbers game? What do you think?

RainyEvenings - 53 minutes ago

5 by Guilmon1 »»
9 minutes ago

» 🎖️Best Protagonist of all time & discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

nirererin - Aug 16

659 by KeepCalmAndMal »»
25 minutes ago

» Which series should be watched by every anime enthusiast?

Rally- - 5 hours ago

44 by Rally- »»
34 minutes ago

» What anime brought you to watch more anime? :) ( 1 2 )

Rinrinka - Apr 26

82 by Rally- »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.