Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 »
Jul 10, 2015 10:09 PM

Aug 2013
What I expected: Dark themes, gore, murder, psychological shit.

What I got: Light hearted comedy, ridiculous murders, and yaoi up the ass...literally.

We have an MC who looks, sounds, acts, dresses, and gets treated as a girl...and yet somehow is a boy. That shit crosses the realm of androgynous and trap.

Autopsy was done by some weird bitch and a talking doll...why?

Fucking ultra trap savant MC somehow deduces the entire crime just by sitting in an interrogation room with the most halfass theory ever. Chick confesses immediately when there was no evidence, just because.

Metrun said:
Well, I got my expectations turned down.
I thought that there was going to be one big riddle, or a least some longer and connected riddles, and then it looks like it's going to be another episodic series.
Also, I don't like how the watchers can't "participate" in solving the mystery - there aren't really any clues or anything, we only see the anwser - we haven't been informed about teacher's "feelings" before, the culprit is a character we see for the first time ever, etc..
Also, the comedy scenes were very anticlimatic.

Hope this anime gets better.

Yea totally get that feeling. The purpose of a mystery show is kind of defeated when you cant even take a guess at the culprit yourself.
Jul 10, 2015 10:47 PM
Dec 2014
It seems like a lot of people didn't enjoy it... which I understand, because I really didn't like the autopsy scene and that cat-eared teacher gets on my last nerve (who tf wears cat ears to school?!). But I encourage everyone to give it another chance. I think most people dislike that Koybayashi's deduction was rushed and had holes in it. But the anime freely acknowledges this. Akemi says he passed, but "just barely." It's even noted that his deduction would have fallen apart if Hoshino didn't confess. Keep in mind that this came from a 13 year old amateur, and while good it's not going to be perfect. Next week could be an entirely different show if it focuses on Akemi and not Koybayshi. Kind of like, here's what a mystery looks like when dealt with by amateurs, and now here's what a REAL mystery looks like. Call me too optimistic, but I can see some real potential in this show. Don't give up on it just yet!

Also, to those saying that it's "weird for a male teacher to fall in love with a male student." UMM NO, what's weird is that a teacher of any gender is dating a student of any gender, and that this teacher is emotionally manipulative eough to convice said student to want to be dismembered and turned into a chair! Why is no one concerned about this fact?! Who cares if the characters are on the other team, this man literally convinced a girl to become a chair!
Jul 10, 2015 10:58 PM

Dec 2012
Konata360 said:
It seems like a lot of people didn't enjoy it... which I understand, because I really didn't like the autopsy scene and that cat-eared teacher gets on my last nerve (who tf wears cat ears to school?!). But I encourage everyone to give it another chance. I think most people dislike that Koybayashi's deduction was rushed and had holes in it. But the anime freely acknowledges this. Akemi says he passed, but "just barely." It's even noted that his deduction would have fallen apart if Hoshino didn't confess. Keep in mind that this came from a 13 year old amateur, and while good it's not going to be perfect. Next week could be an entirely different show if it focuses on Akemi and not Koybayshi. Kind of like, here's what a mystery looks like when dealt with by amateurs, and now here's what a REAL mystery looks like. Call me too optimistic, but I can see some real potential in this show. Don't give up on it just yet!

I hope I can be as optimistic as you, but I cannot. Sorry. It's too much for me.
I like anime.
Jul 11, 2015 12:45 AM

Feb 2009
Konata360 said:
Also, to those saying that it's "weird for a male teacher to fall in love with a male student." UMM NO, what's weird is that a teacher of any gender is dating a student of any gender, and that this teacher is emotionally manipulative eough to convice said student to want to be dismembered and turned into a chair! Why is no one concerned about this fact?! Who cares if the characters are on the other team, this man literally convinced a girl to become a chair!

Evidently, it's because people are more concern that the MC is a girlish boy, the loli teacher, the glass friend,...etc. People....
Jul 11, 2015 1:23 AM

Jul 2007
ReaperCreeper said:
So he pretty much solved the entire thing on a hunch. How did the teacher find so many girls who want to become chairs?

Emotional manipulation on level of brainwashing.

A teacher would know his students psychology and problems so he would have no problems manipulating that to his advantage.
Jul 11, 2015 2:03 AM
Jun 2015
I loved this episode and show. It's twisted and fun. I love the characters and the what the hell am I watching show of this.
Jul 11, 2015 3:34 AM

Sep 2014
Skeleton thing was wow:

Very unexpected. I just know that the teacher'll end up becoming a murderer/criminal. Her cuts hint at that alot. ~.~
Her reaction to the chair was lol xD

10/10 episode. The scenery/background/mind scape when solving the case was a nice touch.
The sun is a deadly laser
Jul 11, 2015 3:41 AM

Dec 2012
mira-nyan said:
Very unexpected. I just know that the teacher'll end up becoming a murderer/criminal. Her cuts hint at that alot. ~.~.

Wait, that new female teacher was not even the culprit. You got it wrong.
I like anime.
Jul 11, 2015 3:44 AM
Dec 2014
Pat_To_Do-List said:
mira-nyan said:
Very unexpected. I just know that the teacher'll end up becoming a murderer/criminal. Her cuts hint at that alot. ~.~.

Wait, that new female teacher was not even the culprit. You got it wrong.

They said she'll end up becoming one. Not that the teacher was the culprit this time, but she'll probably be a suspect in future cases.
Jul 11, 2015 3:49 AM

Dec 2012
Konata360 said:
They said she'll end up becoming one. Not that the teacher was the culprit this time, but she'll probably be a suspect in future cases.

They said? Who?
Or maybe that's a foreshadowing for her backstory & the reason why she always wears some kind of cosplay costume.
I like anime.
Jul 11, 2015 3:52 AM
Dec 2014
Pat_To_Do-List said:
Konata360 said:

They said? Who?
Or maybe that's a foreshadowing for her backstory & the reason why she always wears some kind of cosplay costume.

Sorry, when I said "they" I meant the previous commenter, mira-nyan. I was too lazy to type out the full name XD

I'm inclined to agree, though. Those cuts are highly suspicious, and it even intrigued MC enough to pull her out of background character syndrome. As soon as he saw the cuts she stopped being grayed out like the rest of the background characters.
Jul 11, 2015 4:47 AM

Sep 2014
Thank you, my fellow Konata fan~^
The sun is a deadly laser
Jul 11, 2015 5:03 AM

Jul 2011
shiroux said:
Konata360 said:

Evidently, it's because people are more concern that the MC is a girlish boy, the loli teacher, the glass friend,...etc. People....

lolicon, not loli, unless you mean the onw with the cat ears, but i can't really see her as a loli...

in case you meant the first i don't have much to correct you on, after all the students all had (i guess) at least 13 years old, which is both legal in japan and past the point where they would have their welcome to the "sex world", which would technically be ok, even if just barely, with what the term means.
Jul 11, 2015 5:03 AM

Aug 2012
Why does everyone hate loli-sensei? It was obvious from the start she was mostly gonna be used for comedic purposes (also she has the best freakout scene in a while) until the anime decides to delve into what the fuck happened to her.
Jul 11, 2015 5:27 AM

Dec 2012
Konata360 said:
Sorry, when I said "they" I meant the previous commenter, mira-nyan. I was too lazy to type out the full name XD

I'm inclined to agree, though. Those cuts are highly suspicious, and it even intrigued MC enough to pull her out of background character syndrome. As soon as he saw the cuts she stopped being grayed out like the rest of the background characters.

Do not worry about it.

Oh, yeah, that weird & inconsistent silhouette syndrome.
I like anime.
Jul 11, 2015 5:28 AM

Mar 2013
Konata360 said:

lol. Yep, couldn't have said it any better.

I don't know if I've commented in this thread yet, but: This show is bizarre as hell, intentionally. That is perfectly clear now. And I'm fine with that really. I do want to see what's gonna happen later.
Jul 11, 2015 5:34 AM

Jun 2011
Lol, what did I watch just now? It seemed as if they pulled things arbitrarily out of thin air, strung them in a sequence, and passed them off as an episode. Was I supposed to take all of that seriously? The resolution to the case and the entire "the victims went along with his sick plan because, love" thing were utterly ridiculous, to say the least. This show kind of reminds me of that 'slice of life' abomination by P.A. Works that aired last summer (I'm referring to Glasslip in case you didn't get the drift), in the sense that both of these shows have had my mind blown away by their too profound to handle content.
Jul 11, 2015 5:34 AM

Jul 2013
Dropped.

It seems it will focus more on the sickoness of the murder rather than the trick mystery. Not the kind of mystery show that I seek. Regretted for hyping this.

Hated it.
Jul 11, 2015 5:36 AM

Aug 2013
Christ the main characters in this show are incredibly unlikable especially the glasses kid the main character makes murder out to not be a big deal not a very good show so far
huh
Jul 11, 2015 7:50 AM

Dec 2013
I love this show! It's like reading Edgar Allen Poe at night, except with animation.
This show is easily the best macabre anime I've seen this year, and long may it continue. Seems like shows like this have been missing for a while now.
HESTIAAPPROVES
Jul 11, 2015 7:52 AM

Dec 2012
L-Ryoshi said:

This show is easily the best macabre anime I've seen this year

Isn't one of, if not, the only macabre show to come out this year??
Jul 11, 2015 8:05 AM

Mar 2015
So she wants to grow up and become a chair? XD
Jul 11, 2015 8:12 AM

Oct 2014
Sukebe14 said:
Sherlupin said:

you should stop searching for realism and comon sense in this anime

Edogawa Ranpo was a writer of strange tales and macabre humor

Guess you right. This anime not for me, I rather read some H.P Lovecraft's works. His stories makes more common sense

This anime is really not meant to represent any sign of realism.. the only problem I had personally is the awkward mix between comedic and serious moments; that substitute teacher jumping out of the window lol... it ruined the intensity of the moment for me.
Jul 11, 2015 8:13 AM

Oct 2014
Vanisher said:
Stark700 said:

This scene almost made me drop the anime, it was so fucking terrible. Also the teacher jumping thing was terrible as well. Fuck comedy.

It was alright outside of that.

Yeah, that scene doe. I was not too fond of how they went about that... urgh
Jul 11, 2015 10:12 AM
Jul 2018
Yeah...I have to say that I was excited for this episode. This show had a good opening and all the mystery surrounding the teacher's death was drawing me near the story. This episode was absolutely ridiculous imo. I didn't like that the mystery was solved so fast and I'm bothered by all the hints of pedophilia. I'm putting this on-hold for now with a serious drop of score from a 7 last week, to a 5 this week.
Jul 11, 2015 10:30 AM

Jul 2011
Juhnny said:
Yeah...I have to say that I was excited for this episode. This show had a good opening and all the mystery surrounding the teacher's death was drawing me near the story. This episode was absolutely ridiculous imo. I didn't like that the mystery was solved so fast and I'm bothered by all the hints of pedophilia. I'm putting this on-hold for now with a serious drop of score from a 7 last week, to a 5 this week.

it's not pedophilia if you live in japan :D

not that it is much better anyway...
Jul 11, 2015 10:36 AM
Oct 2012
Swaggercandy said:
So she wants to grow up and become a chair? XD

No, she knows that she wants the teachers love as long as the teacher lives, whether or not she lives is not important. She knows that the only way to achieve it (because of his fetish) is to become a chair. Something that he will value and cherish for the rest of his life.

Hoshino said that she has tried to commit suicide and that there was no meaning to her life. The teacher sensed this and gave her life meaning, she was in many ways addicted to him (you see this a lot with abused women, despite being nearly killed, battered and bruised, they still return to their man, not our of fear, but because they honestly still love the man). The teacher's attention is heaven for Hoshino, being tossed aside (as it seems she has her entire life) would be a return to hell.

Given a choice between a painless death (which she wanted anyway) and acquiring the Teacher's eternal love, and having to live a meaningless and pointless existence, is the choice really that hard? There are plenty of people who will sacrifice their lives for their loves.

As for the teacher, there actually was (at least) one serial killer who turned humans into furniture. Quite famous one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ed_Gein

Of course combining the two (the killer with the love) is what makes this story unique and grotesque, but it really isn't that fair out of there.
Jul 11, 2015 10:46 AM

Jul 2014
Definitely disappointed by this episode. The conclusion to the case was moronic.

They should also really stop with the random slapstick comedy. I'm just wondering what the fuck the people behind this show are thinking to even put that in there.. The younger audience probably loves it tho.
Jul 11, 2015 11:34 AM
Feb 2011
While the first episode showed a little bit of potential, this second one ruined any expectations I had for this show. The 13 year old kid is annoying and the way the case was solved was stupid. And cmon, a 14 girl did that, like seriously... and she also wanted to become a chair lololol.

And the way that autopsy was made is completely stupid and unneeded imo.
Jul 11, 2015 11:48 AM
Oct 2012
P3TE said:
They should also really stop with the random slapstick comedy. I'm just wondering what the fuck the people behind this show are thinking to even put that in there.. The younger audience probably loves it tho.

It's called Camp -

When the usage appeared in 1909, it denoted: ostentatious, exaggerated, affected, theatrical, and effeminate behavior, and by the middle of the 1970s, the definition comprised: banality, artifice, mediocrity and ostentation so extreme as to have perversely sophisticated appeal

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camp_%28style%29
Jul 11, 2015 12:22 PM
Jul 2018
kataklism said:

I know what you mean. I'm not going to pretend I don't know there is some in anime but this whole thing "My teacher loved me" being said by a 13 year old boy, bothered me.
Jul 11, 2015 12:31 PM

Jul 2011
Juhnny said:
kataklism said:

I know what you mean. I'm not going to pretend I don't know there is some in anime but this whole thing "My teacher loved me" being said by a 13 year old boy, bothered me.

well, it is legal there anyway, and considerin how fucked up both kobayashi and the girl were, i don't think that was so much cringe-worthy.
Jul 11, 2015 12:48 PM
Oct 2012
kataklism said:
well, it is legal there anyway, and considerin how fucked up both kobayashi and the girl were, i don't think that was so much cringe-worthy.

No, it is not legal. It would have been legal in the 1930's, but it most certainly is not legal today. The issue is that the age of consent is determined by Prefecture governments, not the National government. The national government hasn't raised its age from 13, but every Prefecture government has raised it to 18, with the exemption being if the couple are in a loving relationship (for instance girls can marry at 16, so if they were married, then they would be able to have sex).
Jul 11, 2015 1:17 PM

May 2012
MEH.

Dropped.
I despise woke people.
Jul 11, 2015 2:36 PM

Dec 2012
Takuan_Soho said:
It's called Camp -

When the usage appeared in 1909, it denoted: ostentatious, exaggerated, affected, theatrical, and effeminate behavior, and by the middle of the 1970s, the definition comprised: banality, artifice, mediocrity and ostentation so extreme as to have perversely sophisticated appeal

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camp_%28style%29

That does not sound appealing at all.
I like anime.
Jul 11, 2015 3:00 PM
Oct 2012
Pat_To_Do-List said:
That does not sound appealing at all.

I admit it is very tough to pull off properly, but when done well it can be pretty entertaining.

I should add that this show is not "pure camp", this show is using Japanese motifs that long predate "camp", but I do think it is the right attitude for a westerner to view the show and enjoy it the most.
Jul 11, 2015 3:32 PM

Jul 2013
This anime is really weird... I thought that is kinda artistic in the first episode but it's just odd. Main character goes on my nerves a bit as well, but I'll still watch it anyway xD
Noir… It is the name of an ancient fate. Two sisters who watch anime. The peace of the newly born, their black hands protect.
Jul 11, 2015 3:58 PM

Apr 2008
Takuan_Soho said:

I should add that this show is not "pure camp", this show is using Japanese motifs that long predate "camp", but I do think it is the right attitude for a westerner to view the show and enjoy it the most.

Your inputs are enriching. Thanks are due.
Jul 11, 2015 3:59 PM

Mar 2014
Looks like the killer just wanted sensei to notice her :(
Also, the MC is one twisted little trap.
Zanos1Jul 11, 2015 4:12 PM
MAL: A community that thinks every anime is bad, but rates everything a 7/10.
Jul 11, 2015 4:26 PM
Jun 2013
Great episode. I love how twisted the characters are. Even Kobayashi is twisted too.
Jul 11, 2015 8:33 PM

Dec 2012
Takuan_Soho said:
I admit it is very tough to pull off properly, but when done well it can be pretty entertaining.

I see. Too bad this anime does not pull it off properly.
I like anime.
Jul 11, 2015 8:39 PM
Oct 2012
Pat_To_Do-List said:
Takuan_Soho said:

I see. Too bad this anime does not pull it off properly.

No, you just wouldn't accept it even if it did. The 1st 2 episodes were adequate, but the real fun starts from now.
Jul 11, 2015 8:42 PM

Oct 2011
This is so strange... a male teacher somehow finds five girls willing to become chairs and also ends up falling for a shota...
Jul 11, 2015 9:18 PM

Apr 2014
The way the case ended kinda reminded me of Conan.
The killer was unexpected :'DDD
At FIRST I was like 100% It's their new teacher especially when Kobayashi saw those red lines on her wrist.
But .. not bad :D
Jul 11, 2015 9:31 PM
Oct 2012
Kefkiroth said:
This is so strange... a male teacher somehow finds five girls willing to become chairs and also ends up falling for a shota...

Not so strange, the scary thing about the teacher is that he is totally earnest. Hoshino figured this out at the end (which salvaged her pride), the teacher did not "betray" her, she realized that he just found someone who understood him better.

That is the sick, scary, and ultimately attractive thing about the 2nd episode.
Jul 11, 2015 10:42 PM

Dec 2012
Takuan_Soho said:
No, you just wouldn't accept it even if it did. The 1st 2 episodes were adequate, but the real fun starts from now.

Who said that I would not accept it? You are being so defensive. Relax.
Well, for the sake the people who are still watching this, I hope you are right about "the fun starts from now."
I like anime.
Jul 11, 2015 11:28 PM

Jun 2013
The only remotely normal reaction was the new teacher, Hanabishi-sensei's screaming rampage.

The murderer was kind of a cop out, in my opinion, introduce some character you never mentioned and then bam there's your murderer. Dafuq.

The characters are fucking weird.

臭い-
Jul 12, 2015 4:23 AM

Apr 2013
Didn't like the comedy parts, I'd hoped they go for the more serious tone. Although, I have to admit that I don't know the works of Ranpo Edogawa and this stuff might as well be right up his alley?

If you ask me, all those characters except Hashiba are completely insane.
Jul 12, 2015 5:35 AM
Jul 2010
Sukebe14 said:
not to mention such ridiculuos thing that victims wanted to be killed and turned into chairs

You will be surprised at the amount of weirdos in this world. Ever heard of idiots interested in being eaten by others/serve their own body part for dinner? Yeah well, that exists too.
Jul 12, 2015 5:42 AM

Dec 2010
...this anime just keep getting better and better
Pages (7) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ranpo Kitan: Game of Laplace Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 17, 2015

147 by LilyVarbik »»
Jul 23, 10:52 AM

Poll: » Ranpo Kitan: Game of Laplace Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 10, 2015

65 by LilyVarbik »»
Jul 23, 7:18 AM

Poll: » Ranpo Kitan: Game of Laplace Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 3, 2015

71 by LilyVarbik »»
Jul 23, 6:34 AM

Poll: » Ranpo Kitan: Game of Laplace Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 20, 2015

57 by LilyVarbik »»
Jul 22, 5:33 PM

Poll: » Ranpo Kitan: Game of Laplace Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 13, 2015

70 by LilyVarbik »»
Jul 22, 5:03 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.