Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (98) « First ... « 33 34 [35] 36 37 » ... Last »
Jul 26, 2015 12:38 PM

May 2010
Interstellar

As a visual experience - might be one of the best sci-fi movies, but the plot ought to be much better. Damn, it's Nolan after all! I loved the Inception and the Prestige so I expected a LOT from this movie - and now I'm kinda disappointed... I only regret not being able to watch it in the cinema, because at least the experience would definitely be memorable. 7/10
Jul 26, 2015 3:45 PM
May 2010
Broken Arrow
Generic story with generic characters, but has enough 'wow' moments to redeem the movies, especially near the end. Travolta plays a fun psychopath, while Christian Slater provides surprising thrills.

7/10
Jul 26, 2015 4:32 PM

Jan 2015
Mikasa said:
Avengers: Age of Ultron

So Spider-Man 3 gets shit for having 3 villains (despite handling them well) and this show keeps throwing up new characters dividing each one's role to a single punch and that's fine?

Or the fight that, yet again, we fight countless fodder in back-to-back circles with out heroes? This shit was gay in the 80s, gayer in the 90s, and keeps on getting gayer. Movies need to be less shitty with their action.

Ultron's personality was interesting, his role was awful. Age of Ultron. AGE? Think of it like this:
Remember that Hydra Nazi computer guy from Winter Soldier? That scene felt more like an "Age of Ultron" than this movie.
Ultron just goes 5th Element, and learns about everything, then builds a better version of himself, then just goes for a generic plan of destruction. Just another "humans bad for earth, extinction ftw".
And please STFU about "the execution", there was no execution. They did it as generically as possible. There was no time to even flesh it out and tweak it at all.

5/10.
Another awfully disappointing Marvel movie, reminding us that this series is only held together by hype produced by good trailers and average post-credit scenes. And some overrated B-list actors.
could not agree more
Jul 27, 2015 3:00 AM
May 2010
Con Air - Rewatch
Full review here:
http://letterboxd.com/johnwolff/film/con-air

A great concept underused. Malkovich is the best criminal in the movie that never appeared. An all-star criminal cast turned into an all-dull generic thugs. Steve Buscemi can't play psychopath for shit.

6/10
Jul 27, 2015 5:28 AM

Oct 2010
kingsman; the secret service

awesome movie did not disappoint , i had absolutely no expectations going in and was pleasantly surprised , the plot was ridiculous and amazing at the same time.. like it was taken from a internet post
lots of music -
Jul 27, 2015 7:16 AM
May 2010
Hard to Kill
The only harder to kill than Steven Seagal is his ego. No wonder his later movies suck - he's a goddamn Gary-Stu.

6/10
Jul 27, 2015 7:49 AM

Jul 2014
The Woman in black.
So clichéd it hurts.
Jul 27, 2015 7:53 AM

Jan 2015
'Spy' and 'Jurassic World', 8/10 for both!
Jul 28, 2015 12:33 AM
May 2010
Godzilla (1998) - Rewatch
http://letterboxd.com/johnwolff/film/godzilla-1998/

Big dumb monster movie, but not anymore dumber than your average creature feature.

6/10
Jul 28, 2015 6:03 AM

Jan 2015
Zombieland - nothing special but still enjoyed it a lot.

8/10
Jul 28, 2015 6:11 AM
May 2010
Mars Attacks - Rewatch
http://letterboxd.com/johnwolff/film/mars-attacks

Had potential, but squandered it on a mediocre script.

6/10
Jul 28, 2015 11:25 AM
May 2010
Jul 28, 2015 12:29 PM

Mar 2013
Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy

pretty funny, nice Ferrell character like always. Steve Carrell was the real mvp here though.

6/10
Jul 28, 2015 5:31 PM
Jul 2015
"Stretch" really good one. I like different active funny movies. This one really made my day. By the way who knows where i can buy training suit like the main character had in that movie?
Jul 29, 2015 3:04 AM
May 2010
Aug 2, 2015 7:46 PM

May 2010
The Last: Naruto the Movie

Eh, premises sounded cooler than the movie turned out to be... Action takes 90% of screentime, romance only about 10%, that's totally not what I expected :/ But I won't deny, the last ten minutes or so were really cuuuute! Especially the epilogue. Animation was pretty good and the soundtrack was beautiful.

Still, hopefully Boruto movie is better... 7/10
Aug 2, 2015 9:41 PM

Oct 2012
Unfriended
I was expecting a cheap jumpscare spam horror but it was actually really good, I love how the whole movie is viewed from one of the characters laptop screen, it's something I'm sure has never been done before. And watching it from my own laptop made the movie feel INCREDIBLY immersive. Which is impossible for movies 99.999999999% of the time.

9/10 cause I didn't feel like tweeting about it. I never tweet but when I do it's because I just gave something a 10
Aug 3, 2015 1:27 AM

Jul 2015
Astro Boy
The 2009 american CGI one. Umm... Well...

Well it wasn't quite what I expected it to be. It was worse. It was just boring as fuck. (Includes a couple spoilers, if you care)

I thought it'd just be an americanized version of Astro Boy, because that's what americans do. Throw out the basic idea of Astro being a bridge being built to better the relationships between humans and robots and make it something like Pinocchio or something. I wouldn't (probably) have liked it, but it would've (probably) been better than this.

Here we just get a kids movie version of Astro. If you've ever seen a movie aimed at kids, you already know all the story beats, and much of what everyones gonna say. Watching it was like reading the outcome of a first time scriptwriter scribbling out a script with "Hollywood scripwriting for dummies".

Aside from Tenma and Stone, none of the characters had any real reason for doing what they do. Unless you count "it'll create drama for the viewers" as a reason. I mean really, why does Astro have to hide the fact that he's a robot from the kids that like him? Only because that'll lead us to a scene where the kids feel betrayed by Astro and hate him... for like 5 minutes. And how does Astro solve the situation? By being a better fighter than the other robots. AFTER SAYING HE WON'T FIGHT THEM!

Oh and the voice acting is kinda shit too. But then again, what can you expect when you cast "real" actors instead of actual voice actors. Tenma (Nicolas Cage) and Stone (Donald Sutherland) sound like they'd rather just not exist at the moment.

The scene I enjoyed the most, was when ZOG spoke and it was voiced by Samuel L. Jackson, and I had to pause the movie and show a "100 Greatest Samuel L. Jackson Quotes" video to my brother, because he didn't know who Samuel was. The first 30 seconds of that was more entertaining than anything in the 94 minutes of Astro Boy combined.

3/10 because making me sleepy is worse than making me angry at the movie - because then I'd have felt something. And because "it's not the worst movie I've seen".
Aug 6, 2015 5:31 AM

Apr 2014
The Crazies (2010)

Pretty entertaining since I prefer something other than shambling zombies.
Trance said:
I'm a guy and I can imagine buttfucking another guy. I don't find the thought repulsive, and I can even imagine kissing another man.
Aug 6, 2015 6:11 AM
May 2010
Shoot 'Em Up

The movie starts out with a guy who delivers a baby in the middle of a shoot-out, and he cuts the umbilical cord with his gun. Yes, you read it right - he delivers a baby with his f***ing gun. That's everything you need to know about the movie. It's loud, over-the-top, and takes cartoonish violence to a Shakespearean level. If Jack Slater from Last Action Hero is a real movie, this would be it.

In Shoot 'Em Up, you'll see some of the most creative, stylistic shooting you'll ever see on-screen in live action form. It's no coincidence that our main hero, Mr. Smith (Clive Owen) frequently chews on a carrot throughout the film. He's Bugs Bunny, and this movie is a parody of the cartoon violence you'd see in Looney Tunes, as well as a homage to the ridiculous one-man-army action movies of the '80s. Specifically Arnold movies. Mostly Commando.

There are so many amazing things Michael Davis did with the art of hyperbole that I've never seen before in live action movies, and I'm about to spoil them for you in this review so DON'T read this paragraph if you wanna be surprised yourself. You have Smith offering food stamps for bullets, a baby comforted by the sound of death metal, Smith teaching the baby about guns like a surrogate father, an amazing shoot-out performed during a sex scene as Smith is shooting his 'gun' into the lead lady, a lactating hooker named Donna Quintano (Monica Bellucci), the idea of using a tank as a hideout to protect yourself (a tactic that makes so much sense but rarely used in action films), another amazing shoot-out in the middle of skydiving, and most prominent of all, the constant use of a carrot to grip the gun trigger.

All this and MUCH, MUCH MORE.

Did I also mention that the main character is well-written in what's supposed to be a homage to dumb action movies? Effort was actually put into our hero's personality. Smith is a man whose family got killed in a shoot-out (ironically), and when we first meet him in the movie, he's not really packed with a gun, so you know he's not the typical trigger-friendly action hero who carries a gun wherever unless it's for self-defense. He even supports the gun control bill the senator is passing in the movie. I find the irony of a gun-control sub-plot in a shoot-out movie very hilarious.

In the end, Shoot 'Em Out is just the exact kind of exaggeration that adrenaline junkies like myself will enjoy from start to finish. This thing makes Arnold's Commando look like that sappy soap opera, Days of Our Lives.

9/10 (Thoroughly fun every step of the way)
Enjoyability: Killerific
Aug 7, 2015 9:38 PM

Jun 2008
Well, I'm just posting this everywhere I'm a member in.

Before Midnight
The third installment in a series of unbelievable filmmaking. The first movie started in 1995, featuring a young man and a woman who spend the day (and night) in the beautiful city of Vienna. 9 years after (literally, in our time), a second film featured what happened to them in 2004, and now, we see again, 9 years later, what happened to them in 2013.

To save the story short... If the purpose of fictional works is to share ideas, to explore possibilities, and to experience something new or powerful, well, this is it. The movies are simple. There are no special effects, no carefully designed clothes, no intricate plot or mysterious subtle messages. But at the same time, it is a timeless experience that is both magical and realistic. I was interested, I was curious, I can not stop but wonder what may happen again after 9 years. This... was a unique experience.

I guess what's more unbelievable is that I usually don't watch romance movies, or sometimes go as far as pretend they do not exist. But I enjoyed this and it held my attention from beginning to end. Perhaps because it was relatedable? The juxtaposition that something magical and realistic can and is completely possible in the realm of fiction?
Aug 9, 2015 4:15 PM

Mar 2015
The last film that I watched was Inside Out. I really enjoyed it and kind of cried near the end of the climax of the film (it seems to be one of the better animated films of the year).
Aug 11, 2015 9:56 PM

Apr 2011
The Legend of Hercules. I had earlier watched the other Hercules movie from last year and happened to really enjoy it, so I was hoping that this would be as fun. My main thought during that movie was "This is pretty cool." My main thought during this: "The fuck's going on?" One of the worst movies I've ever watched, even The Pyramid was far better than his pile of shit. The CGI was terrible and the slow-motion shots.. god God, they were atrocious. 2/10.
Aug 12, 2015 7:37 AM

Jan 2015
Edge of Tomorrow. Interesting flick, provides enough material for tin foil hat alex jones david icke people to base an entire blog on. Tom Cruise is still a weirdo but he seemed human in this.
FahtahSenseiAug 12, 2015 12:16 PM
Aug 12, 2015 11:23 AM

Apr 2015
Despite what a lot of the critics are saying, I really enjoyed Chappie, of course it had it's fair share of errors but it was entertaining none-the-less...
hi
Sets
Last FM
Anime List
Manga List
Clue no. 2: Somewhere in one of the pictures in my forum signature.
Aug 13, 2015 3:31 PM

Mar 2014
The Imitation Game was awesome, Cumberbatch's performance was definitely praise-worthy. That ending was way too harsh and sad.
Aug 13, 2015 3:54 PM

Apr 2013
Dragonball Resurrection of F was pretty good.

But I don't get how Frieza got near Goku's power level in a mere 6 months of training.

I don't remember Frieza being such an outstanding genius compared to Goku in fighting.
Aug 14, 2015 8:59 AM

Aug 2013
So i went to watch Fantastic Four to see what the fuss has been about and it was . . . boring. I almost fell asleep midway through. Technobabbles...one character neglected...technobabbles again...another character neglected....technobabbles....shit happens.....technobabbles.....cheap drama....technobabbles yet again.....stuff happens....zzzzzz. The second Marvel movie (after Thor the Dark World) that made me so sleepy.
Aug 14, 2015 9:53 AM

Jun 2015
I also went to see Fantastic 4... Beginning of the movie looked promising, I even enjoyed it. After 30 minutes I got really bored. The second half of the film was sh*t. Their powers looked sh*tty, Dr. Doom looked sh*tty, plot was sh*tty. I have no idea where the movie makers spend all the money... The only thing that was good, it was actors. For a true marvel fan, it's really hard to speak that way, but I cannot lie to myself. Oh, well.. least it was better than Green Lantern movie (but that's just my opinion). So my F4 overall rating would be 4.5/10, cuz I'm generous god.
Cut off one head two more shall take its place, Hail Hydra!
Aug 14, 2015 4:22 PM

Aug 2013
Well, i was kinda expecting Samuel L. Jackson to appear during post credit scene to greet the heroes.......only to realised that this not part of MCU.
Aug 14, 2015 4:34 PM

Nov 2008
I watched Yojimbo again a few weeks ago. Great movie. Pretty stylish.

Aug 17, 2015 1:47 PM

Jul 2014
Wheels on Meals starring Jackie Chan.
His late 70s/80s movies are his best movies.
I laughed hard most of the time.
Aug 17, 2015 3:39 PM

Nov 2013
Mad Max: Fury Road

Damn this movie just radiates energy, not a fan of action in general, tho i would call this quite an experience.

Maybe i'm just a fag for mm in general.
Signature was not removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Tulip & Flower Guidelines.
Aug 17, 2015 3:51 PM

Oct 2010
I just watched Mad Max: Fury Road and...

Temoze said:
Mad Max: Fury Road

Damn this movie just radiates energy, not a fan of action in general, tho i would call this quite an experience.

Maybe i'm just a fag for mm in general.

Yes. Damn yes. I am not a fan of action but something as well-shot as this can make a really worthy adrenalitic experience.

It wasn't fully satisfying though. I guess if it was more about pure action without a background I wouldn't be complaining about this but the dramatic weight of the story didn't hold very well for me; I just didn't manage to care that much for the characters and their fight. Still a very good movie.
Aug 17, 2015 7:52 PM

Jul 2015
Mission Impossible. Never seen nonstop action in a movie like that.
Aug 17, 2015 7:59 PM

May 2014
Hmm latest movie I watched, I think Revenge of the Green Dragons. I'm not quite sure though. Well rather good movie. It wasn't too good, wasn't bad either, average for a lesser known cast I guess. I was just expecting a bit more because it was based on an actual story. Most of those movies are good.
Wait lol the last movie I watched was True Story with Jonah Hill. It was a good movie, very good. Fucking James France had me there, did he do it or not, hahahah, great movie. Sad though.
Aug 17, 2015 10:22 PM

May 2012
Watched Area 51 and it was interesting and enjoyable but the ending was garbage.
Aug 17, 2015 10:29 PM

Jul 2015
Last movie I seen was Straight Outta Compton.
Since I'm a big Hip Hop head I really loved this movie because it tells another story about my personal favorite rap groups NWA. Its a long movie, but every minute was worth watching. The story is amazing and the various scenes they put in this movie are truly fascinating. And in some parts it takes you on a dramatic experience (even has sad parts). Overall this move is in my all time favorites, maybe even top 5. And i recommend it to ANYONE who has not seen this yet. Especially to the people who have no idea or is totally new to this background or concept. Basically, the movie was dope.
6 upside down it's a 9 now.

Aug 17, 2015 10:31 PM

Nov 2014
The Act of Killing. It was something big , definitely. But I dislike the way the directer intentionally made the people admitted their crime.

The giant fish statute scene was dreamlike. Lake Toba added on list of places to be.
Haruhi ism
It's fun, isn't it?

Aug 18, 2015 6:33 AM

Jul 2015
Saw Spy (2015) and literally marveled at how Statham just got dumbed down to the lowest level he could possibly get.

Aug 18, 2015 1:36 PM

Aug 2010
The last three:

Pixels (which was garbage)

Ant-Man (surprisingly good/fun, despite the behind the scenes director drama. Marvel Studios has done it again)

Fantastic Four (Sub-par and underwhelming, this time because of behind the scenes director drama. Bland)
Bum Bum Dum Dum

Aug 18, 2015 7:56 PM

Nov 2014
osrsgold4 said:
I like to watch Korean movies, I feel very thought-provoking.

You should see A Girl AT My Door. it is a recent South korean film, guaranteed to make you think and reflect about the world of adults.
Haruhi ism
It's fun, isn't it?

Aug 18, 2015 8:32 PM

Jan 2014
AoT live action movie

Very subpar movie
Aug 18, 2015 8:37 PM

Jul 2014
Ant-Man: the film i thought i needed but apparently i didn't because i fell asleep in the theater. from what i saw (3/4) it was incredibly boring. i should have expected it though, a good marvel movie hasn't come out in a good amount of time. 5/10
cool
Aug 19, 2015 9:47 AM

Oct 2014
True Story (2015)

Loved the acting, particularly James Franco. Very compelling but unfortunately the pay off is very weak.

''Amazing journey, disappointing destination''
Aug 19, 2015 4:01 PM

Jul 2014
12 years a slave
Really good and compelling story whith really good acting i would give it an 8.5/10
Aug 20, 2015 1:13 AM

Jan 2015
Attack on Titan. It is being discussed here in various threads atm. Yeah it's not as bad as some say, it's not brilliant, but not bad. I would watch it at the cinema, although it has a lot of gross out as one would expect.
Aug 20, 2015 7:06 AM

Apr 2013
Miracle in Cell No.7

South Korean movie
Damn the feels~ Was an emotional roller coaster with some great comedic parts as well and the characters are really likable and has a well-rounded cast of developed characters. Would give 100/10. i cri every time. One of the best movies I've seen actually.
Aug 20, 2015 9:31 AM

Jul 2013
Ant-Man

So, the climax of the film was really enjoyable...
The first hour or so however... Little forgettable tbh.
I was disappointed w/ Paul Rudd, especially in the scenes w/ his daughter.
I just didn't buy or feel for the relationship. He should have watched Interstellar. Taken some tips.

I'd give it a 7/10. Not a good 7.
Aug 20, 2015 11:06 AM

Sep 2012
Point Break- Still a god damn classic.
Pages (98) « First ... « 33 34 [35] 36 37 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Is it ok to enjoy stories with little Lbtg representation?

Zack312 - Feb 25

25 by Shiroyaki »»
41 minutes ago

» what's your favourite artist and/or band of all time?

brainburger - Apr 28

42 by Vinum_Sabbathi »»
6 hours ago

» Post songs that you like but don't want anyone else to know you like them

tsukareru - May 18

20 by RabbitS- »»
6 hours ago

» Post songs that you are addicted to right now ( 1 2 3 )

tsukareru - Apr 26

137 by Vinum_Sabbathi »»
6 hours ago

» Post a song from your country you think is worth listening to ( 1 2 )

eldritch - Jan 29, 2018

82 by RabbitS- »»
6 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.