Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (7) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Jun 8, 2015 2:55 PM

Jul 2012
I like the anime I watched. I think they're good.

I have good taste.
Jun 8, 2015 7:38 PM

Nov 2014
Oh hey, instead of saying what I think is good taste, I'd like to try something.

What do you think about my taste in anime? Just curious.
I'd like to know your basis of your judgement though. Did you judge from checking my anime list/ favorite anime list/ favorite character list/ from the way I speak in forums?
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Jun 8, 2015 7:39 PM

Jan 2015
BurningSpirit said:
Oh hey, instead of saying what I think is good taste, I'd like to try something.

What do you think about my taste in anime? Just curious.
I'd like to know your basis of your judgement though. Did you judge from checking my anime list/ favorite anime list/ favorite character list/ from the way I speak in forums?
well just looking at ur favs id say ur more into the emotionally resonant anime though like others have saiid being ble to explain y u like wat u like is very important.
Jun 8, 2015 7:55 PM

Nov 2014
SNKFanboy said:
well just looking at ur favs id say ur more into the emotionally resonant anime though like others have saiid being ble to explain y u like wat u like is very important.

Haha thanks. Well I'd say it's kinda true that good taste is about explaining why you like something. But ultimately the most important imo is being able to explain why you don't like something.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Jun 8, 2015 8:18 PM

Oct 2014
romagia said:
8. good taste does not have 5 favourites from the top 100basically point #1 but this is just a big red flag to me
How do you even have so many favorites? MAL only allows up to 5 currently. Did it used to be more, or do you have special privileges? Also, only two of my favorites are in the top 100.
Jun 8, 2015 11:10 PM

Sep 2012
Agafin said:
snip

Elitism is about mindset, not about some favorites, so no he is not an elitist. I never saw him raving in forums, calling people insane for enjoying stuff he doesn't enjoy, did you.

You should also see why I used capital letters while writing critic, if anything it was more directed towards some people who views their opinions as facts, literaturenerd if anything do not force down his views. You want to know what kind of person I was refering to, go lurk in LN adaptation threads. You will see some of them, all following same pattern saying same retarded "anime is dying" comments, calling out people insane and strange for enjoying stuff they do not enjoy.
Jun 8, 2015 11:52 PM

Oct 2012
Being able to express your opinion really seems to be one of the most important things.

But for me, what matters the most is "to accept that each taste and show has its flaws and merits, but reasonably defend there own preference." . For example, let's take Mushishi and LoGH that I've seen a lot of people using as example of good anime. Well, a person may not like those two series and probably will have its reasons to not like it, however, I find it difficult to believe when that person says the anime is bad.
Basically, I think that the ability to distinguish your objective and subjective opinions is very important, and that there's no such thing as right and wrong in your subjective opinion, but there is in the objective one.
Jun 8, 2015 11:54 PM

Aug 2013
Clefairiess said:
IntroverTurtle said:
1. Think Mushishi is the best anime ever made.

fixed
Jun 9, 2015 12:01 AM

Dec 2014
good taste=Opinion

Why you ask?

let me give you an example,let's say you love anime like azumanga daioh,cowboy bebop, and code geass and the person next to you love those anime as well then you and the person with the same likes will agree that both of you have good taste in anime but then someone who love sao,shingeki no kyojin, and mirai nikki and hates the anime that you love then for him you two have a bad taste.

it's all about opinion really
but you're free to believe that you have a good taste
Jun 9, 2015 12:01 AM

Apr 2012
good taste = all my favorites of course

Jun 9, 2015 12:28 AM

Jun 2014
Tarotist said:
Good taste is when two people can share a bag of popcorn without any complaints. The taste becomes bad if one person happens to put too much salt on the popcorn.

if there is excess salt, you may need some fries along with the popcorn
All credit goes to Sacred.
Jun 9, 2015 1:18 AM

Mar 2012
This topic made it to 200 responses? How?

Either way, there is no such thing as good or bad taste. As they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and if you like something someone else hates or visa versa, then you're the beholder, not them.
Jun 9, 2015 1:24 AM

Sep 2014
felipekorbes said:
Being able to express your opinion really seems to be one of the most important things.

But for me, what matters the most is "to accept that each taste and show has its flaws and merits, but reasonably defend there own preference." . For example, let's take Mushishi and LoGH that I've seen a lot of people using as example of good anime. Well, a person may not like those two series and probably will have its reasons to not like it, however, I find it difficult to believe when that person says the anime is bad.
Basically, I think that the ability to distinguish your objective and subjective opinions is very important, and that there's no such thing as right and wrong in your subjective opinion, but there is in the objective one.

I think people should distinguish between 'objectivity' and critical thinking. There's no such thing as an objective opinion. If a person says Mushishi is bad and then gives his subjective reasoning for that conclusion you can't claim he's wrong.
Jun 9, 2015 5:29 AM

Jul 2012
Good taste is realising that good taste is a myth created by people insecure and self-conscious enough that they would try to vie for power in some ridiculous arbitrary hierarchy of "intellectual authority" and be unable to recognise that the intersection between art, society, and culture and how it affects the individual is a heckuva lot more complicated than whatever Rationally Deducted "distinctions" people tend to give it.

So basically, it's realising you're and myne taste a shit.
Jun 9, 2015 5:42 AM

Oct 2012
What I find funny is that there is seemingly no middle ground on MAL. It's either people saying "this anime sucks and you suck for liking it" or the opposite end of the spectrum with people mindlessly throwing around blanket statements about subjectivity and blaming everything on the nonexistent "elitist" boogiemen that their victim complex spawned, both of which are not constructive in the least. I guess that just comes with the territory of the medium...
ShrabsterJun 9, 2015 4:16 PM

Jun 9, 2015 8:25 AM

May 2015
Otaku-Slayer said:
felipekorbes said:

I think people should distinguish between 'objectivity' and critical thinking. There's no such thing as an objective opinion. If a person says Mushishi is bad and then gives his subjective reasoning for that conclusion you can't claim he's wrong.

You can claim he's wrong if you find faults in his reasoning. Not all reasonings are equal. This is from the field of music, but if someone claims a band like Limp Bizkit how borrows ideas from various genres are unoriginal compared to Slayer, I'd expect a serious case for such a silly claim. You need to have reasoning you can defend.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Jun 9, 2015 8:27 AM
Mar 2012
Good taste is YOUR taste.
Jun 9, 2015 8:55 AM

Jul 2013
Something everyone except me doesn't have.
Jun 9, 2015 11:04 AM
Feb 2015
Good taste is overrated. People have their own basis for what they even consider tolerable and it's not usually based on literary devices or writing so...who cares.

People arbitrarily like what they like...thus 90% of the community has no tangible taste.
Jun 9, 2015 2:42 PM

Jul 2014
having one piece in your top 5 manga
Jun 9, 2015 2:58 PM
Mar 2013
Shadow-Senpai said:
This thread's about good taste, not shit taste
Jun 9, 2015 3:00 PM

Jul 2014
JD2411 said:
Shadow-Senpai said:
This thread's about good taste, not shit taste

I'm aware of that
Jun 9, 2015 3:01 PM

Apr 2013
SNKFanboy said:
so there r many views on what good taste is, like how similar someones taste is to ours, but is there any way to pin down what actual good taste is instead of hating on anyone u think is a casual or something, like what would u do to have a more civilized disposition to taste in anime.

mine to start off with:
1. good taste doesnt just say whats popular is good.
2. good taste doesnt let majority opinion affect their opinion.
3. good taste can accept that each taste and show has its flaws and merits, but reasonably defend there own preference.
4. good taste doesnt blindly hate on popular shows.

so, please discuss, i am interested in what mal users have to say about this matter.

I kinda like that, especially the 3rd one. Wannabe elitist on MAL should align on that thinking I'd say. Having good taste starts by accepting the fact that your own taste isn't superior to those who don't have the same taste as you. Hmmm. It feels kind of contradictory in a way, and that's perfectly fine, rather, it's appropriate for something as subjective as taste.
Jun 9, 2015 3:05 PM

Dec 2012
Protaku94 said:
School Days at least 7/10=Good tastes.

An example of good taste, for sure, but not the definition of it. Still, I like this comment very much.

Good taste is undefinable. It exists, I think, but taste doesn't come in discrete quantities and we can't give some of kind of mathematical definition of it. It's like a genre; it's a label we stick on things for ease of classification, but it has no significance in itself and so it's a waste of time to argue about what it means exactly or what constitutes it.
PolyphemusJun 9, 2015 3:10 PM
I am important. I have a girlfriend. Check out my podcast
Jun 9, 2015 5:22 PM

Nov 2014
Polyphemus said:
Protaku94 said:
School Days at least 7/10=Good tastes.

An example of good taste, for sure, but not the definition of it. Still, I like this comment very much.

Good taste is undefinable. It exists, I think, but taste doesn't come in discrete quantities and we can't give some of kind of mathematical definition of it. It's like a genre; it's a label we stick on things for ease of classification, but it has no significance in itself and so it's a waste of time to argue about what it means exactly or what constitutes it.

Never really understood why so many people hate School Days. Personally I rate it 8.

I think the true reason it is indefinable is because true good taste is not observed within the majority. Unfortunate as it sounds, it's too bad things like simple-minded shows with sex, violence and stupid jokes.

My MAL Interview
Jun 9, 2015 9:01 PM

Oct 2012
offmodel said:
AttackOnTetris said:

He's definitely an elitist but not a community elitist. He has his own opinions and doesn't expect others to reciprocate his views. That is a lot more worthy of respect than trend-following.

It would be an interesting social experiment to try and create a new elitist sub-group. I feel like Tokimeki Tonight deserves to be an elitist show, we could just argue vampirism is a metaphor for puberty and the trials of young adulthood. Irresponsible Captain Tylor could also be a good pick, a commentary on the dangers of enforcing social norms on people who are candidates for leadership, which leads to a drain on society because our best and brightest are often exclcuded from normalcy.
Neo Uber Elitist club when?

Jun 9, 2015 9:03 PM
Feb 2014
Shrabster said:
What I find funny is that there is seemingly no middle ground on MAL. It's either people saying "this anime sucks and you suck for liking it" or the opposite end of the spectrum with people mindlessly throwing around blanket statements about subjectivity and blaming everything on the nonexistent "elitist" boogiemen that their victim complex spawned, both of which are not constructive in the least. I guess that just comes with the territory of the medium...

It took you that long to realize that? LOL

But I agree. My frustration above is probably more or less just no one getting what I think the whole time.
Jun 9, 2015 9:23 PM

Oct 2012
Nicoreos said:
Shrabster said:

But I agree. My frustration above is probably more or less just no one getting what I think the whole time.
I don't think I mentioned that I realized it just now but okay.
ShrabsterJun 9, 2015 9:39 PM

Jun 9, 2015 9:37 PM
Feb 2014
Shrabster said:
Nicoreos said:

I don't think I mentioned just now realizing it but okay.

That's why I said "my frustration above." Tee hee.
Jun 9, 2015 9:38 PM
Jul 2013
good taste is not just loving series because it's popular
Jun 9, 2015 9:50 PM

Oct 2012
Nicoreos said:
Shrabster said:
I don't think I mentioned just now realizing it but okay.

What is it that you think then? You know, since you're on a forum and have the chance to express whatever that may be and everything.
ShrabsterJun 9, 2015 10:09 PM

Jun 9, 2015 10:47 PM

Oct 2013
1cedkid said:
good taste is not just loving series because it's popular

Who does that? That sounds like a very shallow person.
Jun 9, 2015 11:22 PM
Feb 2014
Shrabster said:
Nicoreos said:

What is it that you think then? You know, since you're on a forum and have the chance to express whatever that may be and everything.

Pretty much what you said. Although I think I might have said it on past threads of this topic or me just flat out complaining how a middle ground doesn't exist.
Jun 9, 2015 11:24 PM

Jan 2015
Simple: you like what you like and you defend it.
Big Order (TV):great anime or greatest anime?
Jun 9, 2015 11:28 PM

May 2014
nothing anime related thats for sure.
Jun 9, 2015 11:29 PM

May 2015
good taste is when you like good anime
Jun 9, 2015 11:29 PM

May 2012
ZA_WAYD said:
nothing anime related thats for sure.

You have 80% compatibility with me so you have objective good taste. You will get your degree of certification in the mail.
Jun 10, 2015 12:05 AM

Aug 2014
I think I'm going to say it again, good taste doesn't exist. It's just an urban legend like fair scoring.

There only exist people who can give solid reasoning for liking the anime they like, and those who really can't do that very much and maybe even resort to rabid fanboying and all kinds of denial to take their minds off the insecurity in their own opinions. Or maybe I'm just making up the second part, lol.

Still, bad taste exists. Anyone liking Monster more than Inferno Cop has bad taste.
Poltergeist18Jun 10, 2015 12:10 AM
Jun 10, 2015 12:22 AM

Oct 2013
Poltergeist18 said:
I think I'm going to say it again, good taste doesn't exist. It's just an urban legend like fair scoring.

There only exist people who can give solid reasoning for liking the anime they like, and those who really can't do that very much and maybe even resort to rabid fanboying and all kinds of denial to take their minds off the insecurity in their own opinions. Or maybe I'm just making up the second part, lol.

Still, bad taste exists. Anyone liking Monster more than Inferno Cop has bad taste.

Most people here are not being serious about this taste debate.
Jun 10, 2015 12:28 AM

Aug 2013
me is good taste
Jun 10, 2015 12:31 AM

May 2012
Yeoun said:
me is good taste

I can confirm this.
Jun 10, 2015 12:44 AM

Aug 2014
keragamming said:
Poltergeist18 said:

Most people here are not being serious about this taste debate.

I'm not that serious, either.
Jun 10, 2015 12:52 AM

Sep 2014
I have good taste, and if you have a high comp with me or share a favourite you have good taste as well.
Jun 10, 2015 1:24 AM

Jul 2014
Good taste is... when you like good anime.

No need to thank me, guys. I just did my duty.
Jun 10, 2015 4:56 AM

May 2015
Poltergeist18 said:

I didn't like Monster. I dropped it at about episode 20. It lost all energy at this point. It lost the main plot thread and didn't find something more engaging. It tried really hard to convince me of 'being deep and mature' with the animaton style, but it just came off as a lack of imagination. The same thing could have been achieved with live action.

There was a villain there, but he was evil and that's it. Nothing in these 20 episodes hinted at something more.

I'm going to try again and write a more coherent review, but these are my current thoughts.

Do I have 'bad taste' even though I can explain my opinion?
Jun 10, 2015 5:07 AM

Feb 2015
PoeticJustice said:
You have 80% compatibility with me so you have objective good taste. You will get your degree of certification in the mail.

Right back at ya.

Aria-da-Capo said:
Good taste is... when you like good anime.

No need to thank me, guys. I just did my duty.

Rating every anime a 10/10 fills your criterion and is also a marker of objectively bad taste. If your duty was baiting with a dumb post then well done you.
Now you're wondering if there's white text in any of my other posts.

Over there, I'm everywhere. I know that.
Jun 10, 2015 8:43 AM

Aug 2014
TheBrainintheJar said:
Poltergeist18 said:

I didn't like Monster. I dropped it at about episode 20. It lost all energy at this point. It lost the main plot thread and didn't find something more engaging. It tried really hard to convince me of 'being deep and mature' with the animaton style, but it just came off as a lack of imagination. The same thing could have been achieved with live action.

There was a villain there, but he was evil and that's it. Nothing in these 20 episodes hinted at something more.

I'm going to try again and write a more coherent review, but these are my current thoughts.

Even though I wouldn't call my last sentence serious... No, you don't have bad taste.
You went out of your way to explain your thoughts on something and did that even if it was briefly.
You had problems with the pacing that made you lose interest, I suppose, and you didn't find the atmosphere it was trying to set up to be engaging.
I'm all for people who can back up their liking or hate compared to others' positive or negative opinions on the same matter. That's how it should be done.
Poltergeist18Jun 10, 2015 8:46 AM
Jun 10, 2015 9:04 AM

May 2015
Poltergeist18 said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

Even though I wouldn't call my last sentence serious... No, you don't have bad taste.
You went out of your way to explain your thoughts on something and did that even if it was briefly.
You had problems with the pacing that made you lose interest, I suppose, and you didn't find the atmosphere it was trying to set up to be engaging.
I'm all for people who can back up their liking or hate compared to others' positive or negative opinions on the same matter. That's how it should be done.

I should've recognized it was sarcasm. It's my type of humor. I fell.

I guess because Monster is one of those classics that not liking it gets you branded as a complete idiot. I wonder if my view of it will change. It's been years since I've watched it but the acclaim is the only reason I'll try again.
Jun 10, 2015 9:11 AM

Aug 2014

Don't worry, I fall to sarcasm a lot, lol.

Who cares if someone doesn't like a classic? I don't like Akira too much and it really didn't matter to me how critically acclaimed it is and historically important.
If that's how you felt about it, it's perfectly ok.
Poltergeist18Jun 10, 2015 9:14 AM
Jun 10, 2015 12:41 PM

Jan 2013
Thread Cleaned

Removed spam, trolling, and a short off-topic discussion.

Please try to stay on-topic instead of comparing/recommending each other anime.
Pages (7) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» How does your waifu do under pressure?

SgtBateMan - 15 minutes ago

2 by Rally- »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » Will Isekai Anime Series one day surpass Mecha anime series in popularity and in the numbers game? What do you think?

RainyEvenings - 54 minutes ago

5 by Guilmon1 »»
10 minutes ago

» 🎖️Best Protagonist of all time & discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

nirererin - Aug 16

659 by KeepCalmAndMal »»
26 minutes ago

» Which series should be watched by every anime enthusiast?

Rally- - 5 hours ago

44 by Rally- »»
34 minutes ago

» What anime brought you to watch more anime? :) ( 1 2 )

Rinrinka - Apr 26

82 by Rally- »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.