Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Mar 28, 2015 12:50 AM
Feb 2014
wzrd said:
Is Death Note shit?

Pretty sure if it's popular it's automatically shit.
Mar 28, 2015 12:56 AM

Aug 2013
I don't. Usually when people hate all mainstream anime it's because they never saw them or they want to seem superior and unique.
Mar 28, 2015 12:58 AM

Mar 2013
Why only guys O_O?
Mar 28, 2015 2:30 AM
Mar 2015
waterfallsxo said:
I don't. Some people do to make themselves look cool.

This. Not liking mainstream anime means you know non-mainstream anime, which means you 'know your stuff', which means you're cool.
Mar 28, 2015 2:30 AM
Mar 2015
waterfallsxo said:

This. Not liking mainstream anime means you know non-mainstream anime, which means you 'know your stuff', which means you're cool.
Mar 28, 2015 2:36 AM

Apr 2014
Shitposta said:
wzrd said:
Is Death Note shit?

Pretty sure if it's popular it's automatically shit.
Mar 28, 2015 3:16 AM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
Mountainstream said:
waterfallsxo said:

...and because they're attention seekers

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Mar 28, 2015 3:22 AM

Jan 2015
I dnt haet mainstream animu
I jst dnt like people say "Your mainstream animu" > all other animu coz its not actually tru
and one more thing, most popular things has too many fanservice stuff (not just only sexual fanservice but all kinds of it)
Twitter and it's consequences had been a disaster for the human race
Mar 28, 2015 3:53 AM

Dec 2013
eh, if its good, its good.
Signature removed.
Mar 28, 2015 3:57 AM

Nov 2014
Forum said:
Ratohnhaketon said:
"I don't like Naruto because the fans are so annoying" with a straight face.

I don't know why someone would dislike a work just because of the fanbase.
A show doesn't have control over what kind of fanbase it has and it not like everyone in the a fanbase has the same personality.

I don't do this, but mainly because the fanbase is annoying. They connect it the people behind the fanbase.

This is partly why people like Justin Bieber and One Direction are so massively hated, due to their increasingly annoying fanbases.

Mar 28, 2015 4:02 AM

Jan 2015
AzureDaora said:
Forum said:

A show doesn't have control over what kind of fanbase it has and it not like everyone in the a fanbase has the same personality.

I don't do this, but mainly because the fanbase is annoying. They connect it the people behind the fanbase.

This is partly why people like Justin Bieber and One Direction are so massively hated, due to their increasingly annoying fanbases.
+1
Ur totally right the fanbase is completely annoyong lol
Mar 28, 2015 4:11 AM

Oct 2008
Forum said:
Ratohnhaketon said:
"I don't like Naruto because the fans are so annoying" with a straight face.

No I see what hes coming from ,like for instance with Fate Stay Night UBW which probably has the most obnoxious fan base atm.
Even if you genuinely like the series for what it is,if you try to have a normal conversation and you're not at that level of absolute worship towards it or have some minor gripes with it you get instantly slandered and attacked from all sides.
Naruto's fanbase was also for a very long time the exact same way,where if you would say anything remotely negative about it you would get the exact same reaction.It didn't help that the majority of said fanbase was comprised of very young male viewers
Mar 28, 2015 5:12 AM

Aug 2014
amateur said:
Forum said:

No I see what hes coming from ,like for instance with Fate Stay Night UBW which probably has the most obnoxious fan base atm.
Even if you genuinely like the series for what it is,if you try to have a normal conversation and you're not at that level of absolute worship towards it or have some minor gripes with it you get instantly slandered and attacked from all sides.
Naruto's fanbase was also for a very long time the exact same way,where if you would say anything remotely negative about it you would get the exact same reaction.It didn't help that the majority of said fanbase was comprised of very young male viewers

It is pretty frustrating that the director of UBW is shit. Most people who read the VN had a great experience and it is frustrating when people don't get it due to the adaptation. I still really enjoyed UBW anime but that is probably because of my Vn knowledge.

Anime is good, fucking deal with it.
Mar 28, 2015 7:23 AM
Mar 2015
I think they don't really hate mainstream anime, I think they only want to express different opinion from others, thus being against mainstream. But everyone knows, that they are mainstream and so popular for a reason, that is being great anime. I'd say those who hate on them, have really original taste, which I can't say is good or bad. Or they simply want to express different opinion to spice things up.
Mar 28, 2015 8:18 AM
Jun 2014
Nobody hates mainstream anime because they are mainstream. More likely a massive audience has established huge hype around a series as the best thing ever. When a person watches it he realizes it is average or downright terrible. He isnt being a hipster, hater or elitist. You just want to believe this because they said your favorite show is shit. And the reason mainstream anime gets more hate is because everyone watches it. There are plenty of shit anime who just didn't become mainstream and faded into obscurity.
Mar 28, 2015 8:19 AM

Jul 2013
AzureDaora said:

The fanbase might be annoying, but they have no control over what their fans do. You should be hating them for their music and attitude and not their fans.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 28, 2015 8:34 AM

Sep 2013
tsudecimo said:

Link to the site? prove there is a delay in France release? can you give me any monthly ranking where any Toriko volume showed up?

It's a dual promotion with nisekoi, but of course it wouldn't get it if it wasn't selling good.
No and just because it doesn't show up in the rankings when there are other mainstream ones doesn't mean it's not mainstream.

Mar 28, 2015 8:50 AM

Dec 2012
ichii_1 said:
tsudecimo said:

Link to the site? prove there is a delay in France release? can you give me any monthly ranking where any Toriko volume showed up?

It's a dual promotion with nisekoi, but of course it wouldn't get it if it wasn't selling good.
No and just because it doesn't show up in the rankings when there are other mainstream ones doesn't mean it's not mainstream.

It says SHUEISHA inc. If this was a promotion for it, inside France, it will have the name of the French publisher, not the Japanese publisher. Naruto's publisher in France is ''Kana'' for example.

That exactly prove it's not popular, let alone mainstream. Sales are the most accurate representation of popularity. You brought zero evidence of good sales, or anything that even remotely hints at it popularity, be it in France, or the US.

Toriko is not popular outside of Japan, that's a factual statement.
tsudecimoMar 28, 2015 8:54 AM
Mar 28, 2015 8:51 AM

Aug 2014
just because
Mar 28, 2015 8:55 AM

Oct 2013
ichii_1 said:
tsudecimo said:

damn, you guys are still at it.
Mar 28, 2015 9:07 AM

Jun 2014
If FMA;B is considered mainstream, then I guess it's one of the rare titles that has managed to dodge this phenomenon. Why?
Mar 28, 2015 9:12 AM

Sep 2013
tsudecimo said:
It says SHUEISHA inc. If this was a promotion for it, inside France, it will have the name of the French publisher, not the Japanese publisher. Naruto's publisher in France is ''Kana'' for example.

That exactly prove it's not popular, let alone mainstream. Sales are the most accurate representation of popularity. You brought zero evidence of good sales, or anything that even remotely hints at it popularity, be it in France, or the US.

I took it from the France website of course Shueisha still wants their name on it.
It was a dual volume sale, GG no re.

And all you have for evidence is some rankings with small ass numbers.
Toriko has proven in it's Japanese sales and anime dub that it does sell well in the beginning and overtime sells even better which translate into international sales as well, unlike other series sales that fall like a rock.
TORIKO = MARATHON RUNNER = MAINSTREAM SALES
Mar 28, 2015 9:18 AM

Dec 2012
ichii_1 said:
tsudecimo said:

I took it from the France website of course Shueisha still wants their name on it.

Toriko has proven in it's Japanese sales and anime dub that it does sell well in the beginning and overtime sells even better which translate into international sales as well, unlike other series sales that fall like a rock.
TORIKO = MARATHON RUNNER= MAINSTREAM SALES

No, if it's a sale inside France, Shueisha, has no claim on it. I'm guessing this is just an ad, like the ones in site like nyaa, and such. Those are merch, not manga volumes, so I don't know what you mean by 'dual volume' sale. You also didn't even give the link to the french website, not that it would change much.

above 30k in manga sales is not a small number outside of Japan, which is what the popular manga sell per volume. Those ranking represents the popularity of the country, how else would I measure the popularity of something in France and US? based on online forums?

I'm talking about the west here, it's very baffling, that after all this time of me repeating myself, you still try and shoehorn the Japanese sales, even though they are completely irrelevant, to the argument of Toriko's popularity outside of it.

Irrelevant, to sales in France, and outside of Japan. And correction it has ''popular sales'' in Japan, not mainstream. Toriko is not popular outside of Japan, that's a factual statement. You can continue pretending it's popular, but I will keep repeating the factual sources indicating otherwise.
tsudecimoMar 28, 2015 9:22 AM
Mar 28, 2015 9:23 AM

Oct 2013
Agafin said:
If FMA;B is considered mainstream, then I guess it's one of the rare titles that has managed to dodge this phenomenon. Why?

I think because fmab was a series that didn't burst into popularity in a instant. it was one of those series that slowly gain popularity as the years go by. I think that was a good factor for fmab.

@black1blade yes, that as well.
Mar 28, 2015 9:24 AM

Aug 2014
Also FMAB is good...

Mar 28, 2015 9:31 AM

Jun 2014
keragamming said:
Agafin said:

I think because fmab was a series that didn't burst into popularity in a instant. it was one of those series that slowly gain popularity as the years go by. I think that was a good factor for fmab.

Yeah that's true. Steins;Gate too doesn't get much hate and it too didn't just burst à la kyojin into mainstream.
Mar 28, 2015 9:46 AM

Sep 2013
tsudecimo said:
ichii_1 said:

TORIKO = MARATHON RUNNER= MAINSTREAM SALES

No, if it's a sale inside France, Shueisha, has no claim on it. I'm guessing this is just an ad, like the ones in site like nyaa, and such. Those are merch, not manga volumes, so I don't know what you mean by 'dual volume' sale. You also didn't even give the link to the french website, not that it would change much.

above 30k in manga sales is not a small number outside of Japan, which is what the popular manga sell per volume. Those ranking represents the popularity of the country, how else would I measure the popularity of something in France and US? based on online forums?

I'm talking about the west here, it's very baffling, that after all this time of me repeating myself, you still try and shoehorn the Japanese sales, even though they are completely irrelevant, to the argument of Toriko's popularity outside of it.

Irrelevant, to sales in France, and outside of Japan. And correction it has ''popular sales'' in Japan, not mainstream. Toriko is not popular outside of Japan, that's a factual statement. You can continue pretending it's popular, but I will keep repeating the factual sources indicating otherwise.

You're the one who linked the site in the first place :(
France
Toriko x nisekoi
http://kazebento.fr/?utm_source=MN&utm_medium=mega&utm_campaign=bento2015

And you still don't get that toriko will obviously be below the likes of naruto and one piece in sales and they are all over the charts that is cut off at 12 just like NY times list.
But that doesn't mean it's not selling just because it's not on the list.
Not even bleach is in the list, get it?
Mar 28, 2015 9:54 AM

Oct 2014
I don't. They're mainstream for a reason..
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 28, 2015 10:01 AM

Dec 2012
ichii_1 said:
tsudecimo said:

France
Toriko x nisekoi

And you still don't get that toriko will obviously be below the likes of naruto and one piece in sales and they are all over the charts that is cut off at 12 just like NY times list.

What I said still applies. And do you really think a random add for a bento proves it's popular?

No, I'm not even comparing to one piece and Naruto and AoT. I'm comparing to the lowest ranked manga each month, and it still doesn't make the cut. If it doesn't make the cut, then it's not popular, which is my original statement, I didn't claim it had zero sales, just low sales, that proves that it's not popular, let alone mainstream outside of Japan, that's the most basic of common sense.

No, actually I have with me every sales from 2003 to 2014, ranking over 200 manga volumes, and the cut off is 2600 unit sales (for 2013 for example), and Toriko is not one the list in 2013 or 2014. That means it sales are so low, it doesn't even reach they yearly sales. I think I've seen it once or twice in the weekly list, and it wasn't even in the top 5.

US manga sales for 2013:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ZRSRznAA_dXrsOoI4c3T0caI81oru9nvWOPtJjtph4o/edit?pli=1#gid=0
US manga sales for 2014:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11J68lFHKKUOgbOmkJmnfYl3f9n7OA89GU2z3x4O8JCw/edit?usp=sharing&pli=1

Go ahead search for any Toriko volume there.
Spoiler alert!: you won't find any.
tsudecimoMar 28, 2015 10:06 AM
Mar 28, 2015 10:32 AM

Aug 2014
keragamming said:
Agafin said:

Wow that is creepy XD

Mar 28, 2015 11:32 AM

Nov 2012
orario said:
TsunaDKillua_10 said:
Why do guys hate mainstream animes?

Because they are idiots.

Thinking they are superior because they watch boring shit that most of the people don't give a shit - this is how elitists behave.

Isn't painful to be that stupid?
...Pretending to like shitty things just for the sake of showing off they are intelectuals...just how retarded one must be?

Meh :-j
Mar 28, 2015 11:33 AM
Mar 28, 2015 12:55 PM

Jul 2014
romagia said:
define mainstream pls

OP failed to define mainstream. OP also failed to clarify "guys" as everyone in general or males.

/thread
Mar 28, 2015 1:06 PM

Sep 2013
tsudecimo said:
ichii_1 said:

France
Toriko x nisekoi

What I said still applies. And do you really think a random add for a bento proves it's popular?

No, I'm not even comparing to one piece and Naruto and AoT. I'm comparing to the lowest ranked manga each month, and it still doesn't make the cut. If it doesn't make the cut, then it's not popular, which is my original statement, I didn't claim it had zero sales, just low sales, that proves that it's not popular, let alone mainstream outside of Japan, that's the most basic of common sense.

No, actually I have with me every sales from 2003 to 2014, ranking over 200 manga volumes, and the cut off is 2600 unit sales (for 2013 for example), and Toriko is not one the list in 2013 or 2014. That means it sales are so low, it doesn't even reach they yearly sales. I think I've seen it once or twice in the weekly list, and it wasn't even in the top 5.

US manga sales for 2013:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ZRSRznAA_dXrsOoI4c3T0caI81oru9nvWOPtJjtph4o/edit?pli=1#gid=0
US manga sales for 2014:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11J68lFHKKUOgbOmkJmnfYl3f9n7OA89GU2z3x4O8JCw/edit?usp=sharing&pli=1

Shueisha does have rights on what's sold.
The ben-to ad is legit since they only put popular series in.

http://heather-maclean.com/how-the-new-york-times-bestseller-list-works/

One last question so I can move on with my life.(they probably don't but Ill ask anyway)
Does does list include online sales? e.g. amazon, etc..? (cause most people who buy toriko do it online and I'm 100% sure more than 3000 people buy a toriko volume in ONE WHOLE YEAR!)
Mar 28, 2015 1:16 PM

Dec 2013
Fight the elitist bruh fight 'em.
Mar 28, 2015 1:25 PM

Dec 2012
Saandro said:
Nobody hates mainstream anime because they are mainstream. More likely a massive audience has established huge hype around a series as the best thing ever. When a person watches it he realizes it is average or downright terrible. He isnt being a hipster, hater or elitist. You just want to believe this because they said your favorite show is shit. And the reason mainstream anime gets more hate is because everyone watches it. There are plenty of shit anime who just didn't become mainstream and faded into obscurity.
When hype and expectations don't match the content, the only person to blame is the one who bought into it. Too many people don't like the concept of something they dislike being praised or well received by the majority. This leads to a spiteful attitude that is really just blown out of proportion and aimed at those people rather than the anime itself.
Mar 28, 2015 1:29 PM

Oct 2012
I don't think elitist actually HATE the mainstream anime, they most likely just hate the fanbase. I watch anime and read anime often enough to be considered "elitist" at least among my peers and on the internet if you judge by drama/romance but one of my favorite series is still SAO. I also don't think Naruto and Bleach are utter crap, I do hate One Piece though.
Mar 28, 2015 1:29 PM

Dec 2012
ichii_1 said:
tsudecimo said:

US manga sales for 2013:
US manga sales for 2014:

Shueisha does have rights on what's sold.
The ben-to ad is legit since they only put popular series in.

http://heather-maclean.com/how-the-new-york-times-bestseller-list-works/

One last question so I can move on with my life.(they probably don't but Ill ask anyway)
Does does list include online sales? e.g. amazon, etc..? (cause most people who buy toriko do it online and I'm 100% sure more than 3000 people buy a toriko volume in ONE WHOLE YEAR!)

That point is not going anywhere, one ad doesn't prove anything, and it has rights when it's in Japan, if those were sold inside France, their copyright wouldn't be there. And unlike Toriko, Nisekoi actually appears on France and US sales.

Most likely. Those yearly sales, are from the archives of BookScan, not NY times Weekly.
Mar 28, 2015 1:30 PM

Oct 2013
black1blade said:
keragamming said:

Wow that is creepy XD

Why is that??
Mar 28, 2015 1:33 PM

Oct 2012
I have literally never seen a Toriko volume in person and the shops I go to have a pretty good manga selection, I had to double check that it was even being serialized here. I don't think you can say its mainstream in the US in the slightest.
Mar 28, 2015 1:55 PM

Sep 2013
Yes they work with the french to sell their series.

Bookscan is highly flawed as well with their sales info, as is everything manga/anime related in the west.
They probably don't care enough to go look at it's online sales.
This is a case of ignorance by the executives since they can't see the demand for toriko or they're marketing it wrong.

Feaor said:
I have literally never seen a Toriko volume in person and the shops I go to have a pretty good manga selection, I had to double check that it was even being serialized here. I don't think you can say its mainstream in the US in the slightest.

Because Toriko is more in the online business, people are scared and embarrassed by Toriko, this age of skinny girly looking beta men is ruining it.
Tell them to go put Toriko in their selection, pm me if they need a review for the series.
Mar 28, 2015 1:58 PM

Dec 2012
No they don't. French publishers exist, like I gave with my example with Naruto's French publisher Kana. It's like saying Shushiea is the one who sells Naruto and Bleach on the US, when that's Viz Media.

Proof they are highly flawed? proof they don't track online sales? proof that Toriko even had 3000 unit sales on Amazon? and actually now that I remember Akame ga kill vol.1 was ranked first on Amazon, and it was ranked first on NY times.

So what's next? you are gonna tell me you personally bought 3000 copies, but they didn't appear in the ranking because you got them from the black market lol?

Toriko is factually not even remotely popular in the west.
tsudecimoMar 28, 2015 2:03 PM
Mar 28, 2015 2:19 PM

Jan 2015
Why do people hate anything that's popular? It's the human nature. Gotta feel somehow superior.
Mar 28, 2015 3:10 PM

Sep 2013
tsudecimo said:
No they don't. French publishers exist, like I gave with my example with Naruto's French publisher Kana. It's like saying Shushiea is the one who sells Naruto and Bleach on the US, when that's Viz Media.

Proof they are highly flawed? proof they don't track online sales? proof that Toriko even had 3000 unit sales on Amazon? and actually now that I remember Akame ga kill vol.1 was ranked first on Amazon, and it was ranked first on NY times.

So what's next? you are gonna tell me you personally bought 3000 copies, but they didn't appear in the ranking because you got them from the black market lol?

Toriko is factually not even remotely popular in the west.

Shueisha (along with Shogakukan) owns them obviously and even if they don't they still need permission since it's their series and won't allow illegal sales.

Google "bookscan is flawed", they do but not for toriko because they think it's a small series, the first several volume definitely did but people must have moved to other sites, NY sucks.

That's...a brilliant idea :O
F*ck it when I get a good job I'll do it, in 2 years time just remember this day ;)

It is but the economy and the manga market being complete trash in the west is preventing it from entering the rankings.
Mar 28, 2015 3:48 PM

Jan 2013
Nah, One Piece 4 Life
Mar 28, 2015 7:44 PM

Jul 2014
The simple answer is that some people aren't satisfied with having an opinion and want everyone else to have it too. Everyone has different tastes, there are times when I've really enjoyed watching something that feels absolutely awful looking back at it, but did that make me enjoy it any less when I did? No.

People have different tastes from one another and heck even with themselves at different points of time. You like what you like and don't what you don't. There's nothing wrong with expressing what you like and dislike it just becomes stupid when you say that what you like is definitely better and what you dislike is garbage.
Mar 28, 2015 8:01 PM

Aug 2014
I don't hate it. It's just that 15 yo brats who think they know how the World works, which they obviously do NOT, come up with high as fuck ratings for mainstream shows. I hate this so much. I would gladly sacrifice ALL them mainstream shows along with those 5 yo tasteless plebs to satan. I don't give a fuck about how much of a pleb others are BUT I do when their ratings affects the overall score of a show. When people go like "Oh my god. Fairy tail is my life, the best show ever made. Thank you Jesus, you saved anime", I don't care but when they log in to MAL, make multiple accounts to up-rank a mainstream show I blow up.
One piece has an overall rating of 8.60 and texhnolyze that of 7.70. FAITH IN ANIME COMMUNITY LOST FOREVER
Mar 28, 2015 8:08 PM

Sep 2013
mr_chang said:
One piece has an overall rating of 8.60 and texhnolyze that of 7.70. FAITH IN ANIME COMMUNITY SAVED FOREVER

Fixed that for you :)
Mar 28, 2015 8:18 PM

Aug 2014
ichii_1 said:
mr_chang said:
One piece has an overall rating of 8.60 and texhnolyze that of 7.70. FAITH IN ANIME COMMUNITY SAVED FOREVER

Fixed that for you :)
Are you one of those shounentards who have no taste whatsoever. Fuck off boy, go back to your mama's basement
Mar 28, 2015 8:22 PM

Jan 2015
mr_chang said:
One piece has an overall rating of 8.60 and texhnolyze that of 7.70. FAITH IN ANIME COMMUNITY LOST FOREVER
coz most people has shite taest
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

» Anime of the Season ( 1 2 )

Raajdeep - Sep 19

60 by Absurdo_N »»
9 minutes ago

» Changes Over Time In The Way You Use MAL Ratings

Quadruple_Oi - Yesterday

25 by Cielord »»
12 minutes ago

» Favorite opening (or ending) of an anime you haven't seen

Phantomtroupe97 - 1 hour ago

8 by Quadruple_Oi »»
30 minutes ago

» 🌸Anime Spring 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 )

ISeeLifePeople - Sep 5

168 by Adnash »»
33 minutes ago

» What anime has best memes

nishant0 - 2 hours ago

7 by Dumb »»
36 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.