Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Feb 5, 2015 1:16 PM

Mar 2013
I found Romeo x Juliet to be a little wish fullfillment. I still prefer it by far to Shakespeare's original.
Feb 5, 2015 3:17 PM

Jan 2012
I never really agreed with the Gary Stu/Mary Sue knock on a character. I don't think I've ever disliked a character because they were "too perfect." Or at least that wasn't the primary reason. But then I get that I'm probably the only person who feels that way.
Feb 5, 2015 3:30 PM

Jun 2011
animefan8800 said:
I never really agreed with the Gary Stu/Mary Sue knock on a character. I don't think I've ever disliked a character because they were "too perfect." Or at least that wasn't the primary reason. But then I get that I'm probably the only person who feels that way.
others probably do or else they wouldn't make these kind of characters
Feb 5, 2015 9:20 PM

Oct 2009
animefan8800 said:

Not really. Mary sue does not necessarily translates as bad writing or a bad show. Lots of stories are perfectly tailored for these characters, and almost all shows aimed at children are the prime example of it. Mary sue only become a problematic issue if it serves as deus ex, rendering any plot buildup useless.

One of the well executed mary sue in anime is Sakura Kinomoto from Cardcaptor Sakura.
The most important things in life is the people that you care about
Feb 5, 2015 9:22 PM

Jun 2014
ClericJanz said:
I watched Sword Art Online and found both Kirito and Asuna both too perfect to be relatable. I was wondering if you guys have any other sues in anime. I practically have a degree in Sueology (I'm incredibly fascinated by them. Not even in a bad way.), so I have to find others and study them.

Any others that you consider to be Mary Sues or Gary Stu's?

Here's a test to take if you want to litmus test a character. You can report a score if you want. Data always helps:

http://www.springhole.net/writing/marysue.htm

Your mum.
Feb 5, 2015 9:36 PM
Jul 2018
There's this character named Shirase, Akira.
The anime is called Battle Programmer Shirase, which is also his nickname, or, "BPS".

He allegedly has the ability to hack into any satellite and cause it to go crashing down toward Earth onto any spot he chooses all through a cellphone.
He's a pretty huge Gary Stu.

Look at 'em:

He's basically the protagonist Watch Dogs should have had.
Feb 5, 2015 10:03 PM

Oct 2012
Marie in Persona 4 The Golden.

The cringe.
Feb 6, 2015 1:52 AM
Mob Character C

Oct 2009
Ah, OP. I too am a bit obsessed with Mary Sues. I always try to work my characters out to not seem unbelievably perfect. I find it hard to tell people about their Sue characters though. It's not just about perfection though; sometimes it's about too many big things going on with a character.

Anyway, some people consider Tohru Honda from Fruits Basket to be a Mary Sue.

My own example of a Mary Sue is actually from a manga, but Berry from Tokyo Mew Mew A la Mode.

Enjoy your anime! | Witch Cafe Wisteria
Feb 6, 2015 5:04 AM

Dec 2014
PrisonersDilemma said:
Sailor Moon.

Are you kidding? She may have been one in her past life as Princess Serenity, but certainly not now. When she's not tripping and falling on her face and failing her classes, she's constantly fighting with her elementary aged future child. In the nineties series she smacked her boyfriend for "forgetting" her birthday (which she never told him) and the way she and Rei are constantly squabbling makes them both look like ill-mannered children. Her major redeeming quality is that she genuinely cares about helping people, but she's way too far from being perfect to be a mary-sue. Her boyfriend turns into a gary-stu when they finally start dating, though.

If any of the female characters from that show are mary-sues, I'd say Sailor Mercury and Sailor Neptune fill the bill. Pretty, gifted young women with perfect grades that never behave irrationally. They rarely if ever make an error in judgement (in fact I don't think Mercury ever has).
AnnaSartinFeb 6, 2015 5:36 AM
Feb 6, 2015 5:30 AM

Jul 2014
I've never understood what the term means. TvTropes confused me even more.
Feb 6, 2015 5:40 AM
Sep 2011
Mana Aida of Doki Doki Precure is allegedly the favorite character of her season's creators, and it shows.

She started out having genuine flaws, being gung-ho to the point of not considering the feelings of others, but by the second half of the show all of that went away and even her most outlandish ideas became the only ones that were valid.

The other main characters began to fall to the wayside and Mana (who was already the only one who could ever deliver the finisher to the monster of the week) began to soak up more and more focus. She's also the only character who can take on a monster of the week without transforming, using only n umbrella and her voice.

It got to the point where the entire movie was basically a love letter to her and the other characters could only think of her even when their entire city and families were in danger.

Then there's the final battle where she's able to overturn an attempt to corrupt her heart in five seconds with no justification other than the fact that she's freakin' Mana. She's not only the only one who gets the final power-up, but also the only one who does anything of value for the finale.

Precure has always been about the strong emphasis of teamwork and friendship, so it was kind of frustrating dealing with this season where the lead character is the only one who really matters, and is the only one who can do anything of value. One of the writers worked on One Piece so I guess the shounen hero mentality leaked into this one.

I don't like the term Mary Sue, I don't like labeling characters as that. But when you have a character who basically turns all other characters into accessories of herself, whom the show has constantly in the right even though it's blatant how stupid and wrong they are, I have to use that term.
Feb 6, 2015 11:47 AM

Feb 2014
Swiggy said:
Ah, OP. I too am a bit obsessed with Mary Sues. I always try to work my characters out to not seem unbelievably perfect. I find it hard to tell people about their Sue characters though. It's not just about perfection though; sometimes it's about too many big things going on with a character.

Anyway, some people consider Tohru Honda from Fruits Basket to be a Mary Sue.

My own example of a Mary Sue is actually from a manga, but Berry from Tokyo Mew Mew A la Mode.

Well, it's only natural for all purpose, the writer would want their protagonist shining brightly. This tendencies always resulted a too "perfect" protagonist.

It was really hard to make your protagonist not to be a Mary Sue because you want your character to be likeable especially for yourself as the writer and usually ended up to be a wish fullfilment character. Like a certain girl that everyone loves from twilight saga.

If you clueless and try to give a flaw but ended up too much, then your character is hated instead.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» What seasonal anime had disappointed you over time this season? ( 1 2 )

Zakatsuki_ - Yesterday

51 by Jozuwa-_- »»
25 seconds ago

» Anime as good as Evangelion/Utena?

Thecutedog - 6 hours ago

16 by alshu »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » If 4Kids got the license to your favorite anime, how much would they have to change it?

TheBlockernator - Aug 26

34 by RareAnimeHunter »»
5 minutes ago

» Could reused Anime themes/cover music likely become a trend in Anime in the near future?

Jozuwa-_- - 2 hours ago

6 by SimplyBrazen »»
8 minutes ago

» How would the "cult 3x3" look like nowadays?

thewiru - Sep 13

21 by RareAnimeHunter »»
11 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.