Sep 22, 2014 8:31 PM

Jul 2012
hybreezy said:
34 is too high for Monster

Sep 22, 2014 8:32 PM

Dec 2013
Zergneedsfood said:
Gymkata said:
How Monster or Texhnolyze are not in the top 30 will forever blow my mind.
Let's be real here. It's no surprise at all that Texhnolyze isn't even in the top 500 lol

I know...WTF was I thinking XD
Sep 22, 2014 8:33 PM

Jul 2011
hybreezy said:
34 is too high for Monster

Good joke
Sep 22, 2014 8:37 PM

Dec 2013
For some reason I was thinking Monster was 70 something. Okay, well 34 is much better.
Sep 22, 2014 8:38 PM

Mar 2013
Zergneedsfood said:
keragamming said:
Really? Not even in the top 500? And that series is better than most of what's in the top 30.
Uhhhh....yeah, it's the best anime ever made, but Texhnolyze will never be in the top 30 simply because of the subject material and how it's presented.

Let's put it this way, Ergo Proxy is the more accessible post-apoc cyberpunk anime and it's barely in the top 500. The most iconic cyberpunk anime, Akira, barely hits top 400 and the more modern cyberpunk classic Ghost in the Shell is at rank 200.

...Cowboy Bebop is cyberpunk (sort of) and it's top 30. But then, it's weird to talk about that show in terms of a single genre since it could plausibly be considered to be in any of a dozen or so genres.
Sep 22, 2014 8:42 PM

Dec 2013
Combine Ginatamas. Free up space for Inferno Copu. hehe
Sep 22, 2014 8:46 PM

Jul 2013
Zergneedsfood said:
Cowboy Bebop barely qualifies even as sci-fi to be honest, lol. It's the equivalent of saying Aria is sci-fi. Yeah, there are science elements but they are more of a backdrop and are hardly touched upon.

Bebop's mass critical acclaim is due to many things things. Yoko Kanno, nostalgia (both as a theme of the work and outside the work), characters, #murica are all valid answers. Cyberpunk/sci-fi would be one of the last reasons I'd expect to hear, especially since there's very little sci-fi to start with.

Bebop is more science fantasy in a way as it uses various future technologies as plot devices but never bothers to explain how they work.
Sep 22, 2014 8:47 PM

Aug 2013
Zergneedsfood said:
Cowboy Bebop barely qualifies even as sci-fi to be honest, lol. It's the equivalent of saying Aria is sci-fi. Yeah, there are science elements but they are more of a backdrop and are hardly touched upon.

Bebop's mass critical acclaim is due to many things things. Yoko Kanno, nostalgia (both as a theme of the work and outside the work), characters, #murica are all valid answers. Cyberpunk/sci-fi would be one of the last reasons I'd expect to hear, especially since there's very little sci-fi to start with.
How could Bebop not be Sci fi if it's set in the future and has space travel? Bebop to me is a sci fi crime drama. The crime drama elements are the most dominant aspects of the anime though..
Sep 22, 2014 8:48 PM

Mar 2013
Zergneedsfood said:

It's still cyberpunk, so my argument stands.

And CB is much more sci-fi than aria... it's a central plot point to more than one episode. Also, various sci-fi elements permeates the world of the show very deeply, and those backdrop elements contribute heavily to the gritty, broken down atmosphere that is a very important part of the feel and aesthetic of the show. The setting is very much cyberpunk... it's just that it's got all this space western, film noir influence mixed in that makes it distinctly different from Ergo Proxy or Ghost in the SHell.
Sep 22, 2014 8:48 PM

Oct 2012
All the anime rated 9 or higher on my list. Because they're fucking good.
Sep 22, 2014 8:50 PM

Aug 2014
Get Code Gayass, Angry Tweens fight giant butt naked zombies and Super Saiyan Bishi l33t 360 trick-shot Shaolin Basketball out of the top 30 and get some more good anime up there.

Monster, GITS, Texhnolyze and Ergo Proxy are some of the best this medium has given.
FoxfireSep 22, 2014 11:00 PM
Sep 22, 2014 9:04 PM

Aug 2013
Zergneedsfood said:
DrGeroCreation said:
How could Bebop not be Sci fi if it's set in the future and has space travel? Bebop to me is a sci fi crime drama. The crime drama elements are the most dominant aspects of the anime though..
I didn't say that it isn't sci-fi. I said it barely qualifies.
Why does it barely qualify? Bebop belongs to the sci fi sub genre known as Space Western http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Western
Sep 22, 2014 9:04 PM

Mar 2013
But the thing is... Bebop would be much less enjoyable if it didn't have those cyberpunk elements. You would definitely notice if they were gone. Bebop eschews all the... complicated stuff, and uses cyberpunk mainly to evoke the feeling of crapsack world and the sense of melancholy that accompanies it.
Sep 22, 2014 9:05 PM

Dec 2013
As much as I still love Tsuiokuhen and thought it was sliced bread when I first saw it, I think today I'd have no problem replacing it with Jin Roh. Maybe Kanno put a spell on me with that, but damn...
Sep 22, 2014 9:05 PM

Jul 2013
Well I would have a problem with that so no dice
Sep 22, 2014 9:12 PM

Mar 2013
Zergneedsfood said:
fst said:
But the thing is... Bebop would be much less enjoyable if it didn't have those cyberpunk elements. You would definitely notice if they were gone. Bebop eschews all the... complicated stuff, and uses cyberpunk mainly to evoke the feeling of crapsack world and the sense of melancholy that accompanies it.
Of course. I'm just saying when people talk about what they love about CB, the science fiction elements have almost always, from my experience, never been mentioned at all. People will cite Yoko Kanno's OST, the nostalgia factor, the characters, the famous one shot episodes, etc. etc. but people rarely talk about the actual world of CB, which I think is just a generic sci-fi setting that serves as a blank backdrop for what the show is really about.

They like it, but they don't know that's what they like about it. That's all. It may just be a backdrop, but it's still damn important, so I disagree that it's "barely" sci-fi.
Sep 22, 2014 9:13 PM

Aug 2013
Zergneedsfood said:
DrGeroCreation said:
Why does it barely qualify? Bebop belongs to the sci fi sub genre known as Space Western http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Western
We're talking about the extent of sci-fi explored, not whether or not CB is sci-fi or not. Sorry if I'm confusing.
Okay I see but I disagree though with your idea that Bebop isn't liked for it's sci fi elements. The sci fi elements are one of the reasons why I like Bebop. I like how it mixed sci fi and crime drama.
Sep 22, 2014 9:18 PM

Nov 2009
Legend of the Galactic Heroes, oh wait . . .
Sep 22, 2014 9:25 PM

Mar 2013
You have a very strict definition of sci-fi...
Sep 22, 2014 9:27 PM

Jun 2013
fst said:
You have a very strict definition of sci-fi...

He's not denying that it is sci-fi, just that the sci-fi element doesn't get developed as much as the other shows that were mentioned and that people with very little sci-fi interest would still enjoy it for a crime drama.
Sep 22, 2014 9:40 PM

Aug 2014
GiTS 2nd gig to replace Code Gayass plz and ty
A guide to living with that one guys ugly signature on MAL.

1. See that SullyNathan has posted last in thread, abort thread.
2. After clicking quick reply, close eyes and type out reply.
3. Try to scroll as far down as possible before replying if you prefer to keep your eyes open.
4. Report said signature for being offensive to the eyes.
5. See he is active in thread, scroll through thread while trying not to have eyes burned, sigh, click back & lose interest.
6. Move to another part of MAL forums where he does not visit.
MAL Jesus where are you?
Sep 22, 2014 9:43 PM

Aug 2013
Zergneedsfood said:
DrGeroCreation said:
Okay I see but I disagree though with your idea that Bebop isn't liked for it's sci fi elements. The sci fi elements are one of the reasons why I like Bebop. I like how it mixed sci fi and crime drama.
I don't like any of the sci-fi in Cowboy Bebop because I simply don't see any good sci-fi in CB. :P

Granted I don't like CB that much period, but there are elements that I do enjoy and sci-fi has never been one of them. To me it's just generic stuff essentially that are either paid homages or influenced by well established sci-fi classics, so nothing particularly interesting for me.
Okay fair enough. Even though the sci fi elements were generic I still like them. I love the whole idea of space being a lawless open frontier like the Wild West.
Sep 22, 2014 9:44 PM

Mar 2014
RagesEntity said:
GiTS 2nd gig to replace Code Gayass plz and ty

And 1st GiTS:SAC can replace Steins;Gate while you're at it.
Sep 22, 2014 10:16 PM

Nov 2009
Strictly talking series, I would easily yank out the pedo-neckbeard pandering NGNL and put literally anything else in.
Fear is the mind killer.
Sep 22, 2014 10:58 PM

Oct 2013
Vorgier said:
Strictly talking series, I would easily yank out the pedo-neckbeard pandering NGNL and put literally anything else in.

NGNL is not in the top 30. -_-
Sep 22, 2014 11:02 PM

Aug 2014
keragamming said:
Vorgier said:

It is if you click the button next to it, that says TV Series. Which is right in his comment.
A guide to living with that one guys ugly signature on MAL.

1. See that SullyNathan has posted last in thread, abort thread.
2. After clicking quick reply, close eyes and type out reply.
3. Try to scroll as far down as possible before replying if you prefer to keep your eyes open.
4. Report said signature for being offensive to the eyes.
5. See he is active in thread, scroll through thread while trying not to have eyes burned, sigh, click back & lose interest.
6. Move to another part of MAL forums where he does not visit.
MAL Jesus where are you?
Sep 22, 2014 11:29 PM

Jul 2014
Why is code geass here? that show is terrible!
Sep 22, 2014 11:31 PM

Oct 2013
RagesEntity said:
keragamming said:

It is if you click the button next to it, that says TV Series. Which is right in his comment.

My mistake, I forgot about the tv series option only.
Sep 22, 2014 11:35 PM

Jul 2013
Monster is in the top 25 for tv series only but still constantly brought up

most people only care about overall
Sep 22, 2014 11:54 PM

Jun 2014
Aria the Origination should be top 15.
Sep 22, 2014 11:55 PM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
It was top five once upon a time afaik
Sep 23, 2014 12:29 AM

Sep 2012
HaXXspetten said:
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
It was top five once upon a time afaik

Rank 3 to be precise.
Sep 23, 2014 12:45 AM

Sep 2012
mayukachan said:
Feaor said:
To be fair, Monster is 34 so its pretty close to being in the top 30. Also I don't think age or length matters that much since LoGH is in the top 10 and its longer and older.

LoGH's high votes are from dem elitists (not that it's bad, but its true..). It also passes that 1/5 rule while Monster is less episodes.

Love your typical generalization, I guess anyone who is giving high score to Logh must be an elitist then. Also throwing out words like "its true" is really bad when its something you can't really prove. It has highest percentage of 1/10 votes in comparison with any anime in top 30 by the way. Also length and being old is not really a reason for high rating or otherwise some other old anime with over 150 ep should be in top list as well.
Sep 23, 2014 12:50 AM

Jul 2013
What caused Aria to fall so far? Are the fans just more realistic than Gintama, Monogatari and KuroBas fans?
Sep 23, 2014 12:52 AM

Mar 2008
hybreezy said:
What caused Aria to fall so far? Are the fans just more realistic than Gintama, Monogatari and KuroBas fans?
Yes.
Sep 23, 2014 1:32 AM

Mar 2012
Inferno Cop deserves to be no.1
Do you play Azure Lane?
Then please join my fanclub
https://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=74907
Sep 23, 2014 1:34 AM

Oct 2013
Zeta986 said:

^ These type of comments has gotten so stale. -_-
Sep 23, 2014 1:40 AM

Dec 2013
hybreezy said:

Aria the Natural : Members: 26,751

Aria the Origination : Members: 33,368

oh wow its so well rated i should see it before prequels §!!
Beta never gives up
Never hide, Never be discouraged
Never accept friendzone
Sep 23, 2014 1:56 AM

Jul 2013
Aria the Natural has 8000 less plan to watches, still has more completed than Origination (though barely).
Sep 23, 2014 2:04 AM

Jun 2014
keragamming said:
Zeta986 said:

^ These type of comments has gotten so stale. -_-

True greatness never grows stale.
Previously: BlueXRam
Sep 23, 2014 3:33 AM

Jun 2014
FlawlessBliss said:
hybreezy said:

That made me cringe. Aria is a journey meant to watch start to finish. You only appreciate completely if you watch them in order.
Sep 23, 2014 4:40 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
FlawlessBliss said:

That made me cringe. Aria is a journey meant to watch start to finish. You only appreciate completely if you watch them in order.
To be honest I thought the entire franchise was kinda stale up until that point, but I still loved Origination. That being said if you just watched it literally on its own and totally skipped the prior seasons.. ehh that'd be kinda weird, don't see why you'd do that >.>
Sep 23, 2014 5:24 AM

Feb 2014
I believe K-on should be in the top 30.
Or top 10. Legit.
Sep 23, 2014 5:55 AM
Jul 2014
Katanagatari. Great characters, story, soundtrack.
Sep 23, 2014 7:19 AM

Nov 2013

I've always suspected that the reason most unpopular shows (5,000 - 10,000 members) are "only" rated ~7 overall is because the only people who've watched them are the "elitists," who rate more harshly than the typical MAL user. If these same elitists are slapping 10s on LOGH...

I used to joke that I would never put LOGH in my favorites list even if I truly liked it, but at this point, I'd be lying to myself if I didn't. It is easily one of the best shows I've ever watched, and I'm barely past episode 60. Of course there's always the possibility that it'll stumble over itself and become a trainwreck towards the end. If it does, then you can bet I'll seize every chance to mention that fact in every discussion where the series is brought up.
Sep 23, 2014 7:45 AM

Feb 2010
If those "elitists" are giving LoGH a 10 must be for something. They're really harsh on everything, yet somehow they've got LoGH with a 10.

LoGH, honestly, its not for everyone. LoGH is very dialogue-heavy and has lots of things that you'll just probably won't enjoy as much if you're 15 years old or less (and mind you, there is nothing wrong with that. Everyone older has been 15 in their life, said captain obvious) or for people who just enjoy more action or slice of life in their anime... and again, there is nothing wrong with that.

I do agree though that Monster not being in the top 30 should be considered blasphemy, and I agree that length may hold an important role here.

LoGH, because of being very old (much more than Monster) and because of being 162 episodes and 3 movies long, its more likely to be targeted by people who will really be interested in that kind of anime. Someone who's a post 2010 slice of life fan will most certainly never even touch LoGH (its much more likely for a LoGH fan to touch a modern slice of life)... even if its just because is part of their weekly anime).

Monster may not be new anymore, but its not that old either, so it has much more approach than LoGH. Also, its an anime that is always being recommended, having a much bigger fanbase right now... that means the anime does get more into the hands of people who might not be that interested in an anime like Monster, and hence, it receives a worse evaluation.

Also, because it is "old" (I still have a hard time calling Monster old, by the way), but not that all, it has more chances of being harshly evaluated for well... being old. LoGH is so old that it is very unlikely to be even touched by someone who is bothered by old anime.

I do think MAL tends to rate to high, and I also think some people just try to be elitist rating so bad (or, honestly, poor people, as they must really suffer watching anime, and usually in large quantities. That or they're hard M), but I don't think that has much to do with this.

Anyways, Monster should be top 30, and personally, I'd put it much, much higher than just top 30.

People need societies, but they don't necessarily need nations. - Yang Wen-li
Sep 23, 2014 7:53 AM
Jun 2014
JoJo's bizarre adventure should be top 30.
Sep 23, 2014 8:10 AM

Apr 2014
Redline: Best anime movie ever.
High School DxD: Best ecchi show ever.
Beelzebub: Best Action Shounen ever.
Haikyuu!!: Best sports anime ever.
Yes These are the best ever.

(Everything I say is my own opinion, just so you know it)
Sep 23, 2014 8:24 AM

Mar 2010
It's telling when only about 4 anime in the top 30 deserve to even be in it. So many casuals.
Sep 24, 2014 1:01 PM

Sep 2013
Honestly, Monster being out of the top 30 is a travesty. You wouldn't find any anime like Monster in the current top 30.
Pages (9) « First ... « 6 7 [8] 9 »

More topics from this board

» Changes Over Time In The Way You Use MAL Ratings

Quadruple_Oi - Sep 20

41 by Serafos »»
42 seconds ago

Poll: » Why Do People Dislike Chinese Anime? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ames00 - Apr 1, 2018

395 by Khashishi »»
3 minutes ago

» Does your waifu have 1st world problems?

Catalano - Sep 18

14 by DesuMaiden »»
16 minutes ago

» Do you dislike low-resolution anime shows?

DesuMaiden - 5 hours ago

27 by TsutanaiFuun »»
19 minutes ago

» Most Disappointing "Good" Shows

Treatise - Sep 19

49 by Kdog1998 »»
23 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.