Forum Settings
Forums

Japanese Government to Start Anti-Anime/Manga Piracy Operation Next Month [Update 7/30]

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (30) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »
Jul 30, 2014 12:19 AM

Feb 2012
jfblade said:
Will this affect any way Bakabt??
possible, but we don't know yet. There are some hints that nyaa is a possible target, but nothing's confirmed.
In 9/10 cases, the worst thing about an anime is its fandom.
Jul 30, 2014 12:21 AM
Jul 2014
if what about indonesia? malaysia? india? america? aand the other county? japan ?? oh what are you doing??? FY
Jul 30, 2014 12:28 AM
Nov 2008
haven't they done this before, and failed spectacularly?
Jul 30, 2014 12:29 AM

Jan 2013
LastChapter said:
Anyone know if Japan will crack down on torrenters in their country? A friend of mine living in Japan uses Nyaa and is worried the new law will affect him either through fines or jail time.

Theyd have to prove he did it.

Edit: Crunchyroll is legal right?

Can't ever get a straight answer on this.
Jul 30, 2014 12:32 AM

Jul 2013
zoron said:
Shit guys we've really pissed off Japan, I'm scared.

Where's the loli?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 30, 2014 12:33 AM
Mar 2012
SolvyTwerk4Jesus said:
LastChapter said:
Anyone know if Japan will crack down on torrenters in their country? A friend of mine living in Japan uses Nyaa and is worried the new law will affect him either through fines or jail time.

Theyd have to prove he did it.

Edit: Crunchyroll is legal right?

Can't ever get a straight answer on this.
So basically he needs to use VPN since they can track him through ISP.

Yes, Crunchy is legal. Except it's blocked in Japan.
Jul 30, 2014 12:36 AM

Oct 2007
welp, if money grew on trees then... (and everything *anime/manga* translated into english... and I mean EVERYTHING *all genres including yaoi, yuri, shota, etc*, then i'd be okay lol...) but other than that,

gg
Jul 30, 2014 12:38 AM

Jan 2013
As a man who is currently unmedicated and bordering on a psychotic breakdown, how afraid should i be of this taking away my ability to watch anime?
Jul 30, 2014 12:42 AM

Feb 2012
SolvyTwerk4Jesus said:
As a man who is currently unmedicated and bordering on a psychotic breakdown, how afraid should i be of this taking away my ability to watch anime?

Not at all. You may have to google about 5 minutes for a new downloading site and that's the worst case.
Jul 30, 2014 12:43 AM

Jan 2009
Greedy bastards.
Jul 30, 2014 12:43 AM
Jan 2014
well what can i say..i just hope gogoanime or animefreak are legal...i dont want want to leave anime of this season unfinished :)
Jul 30, 2014 12:44 AM

May 2009
j0x said:
jfblade said:
Will this affect any way Bakabt??

i will be surprise if BakaBT is taken down by this considering that BakaBT do not host USA licensed stuff

They do, you're confused with AnimeSuki. And BakaBT only hosts those shows from companies that haven't sent them C&D letters (yet), so if they were approached by these people, they might comply (though that goes for AS as well).

NyaaTorrents on the other hand may not escape this although they can just host magnet links like ThePirateBay is doing and then they will be fine

I doubt NT will give a damn either way.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 30, 2014 12:44 AM

Jan 2009
jkara said:
well what can i say..i just hope gogoanime or animefreak are legal...i dont want want to leave anime of this season unfinished :)

lol both of those streaming sites are ILLEGAL
Jul 30, 2014 12:53 AM

Oct 2013
40% of the downloaders of Nyaa comes from Japan
20% from United States.
Jul 30, 2014 12:54 AM

Jul 2014
They are asking people to purchase an inferior product. That’s not going to happen smoothly as they thought.

Jul 30, 2014 1:02 AM

Sep 2013
To many mix opinions in this thread not sure if I should be worried or just shrug this off as another feeble attempt at stopping anime/manga piracy.
Jul 30, 2014 1:06 AM

Aug 2012
Date_A_Live said:
To many mix opinions in this thread not sure if I should be worried or just shrug this off as another feeble attempt at stopping anime/manga piracy.

Well, I think a lot of it depends on where you live, the laws in your country and which sites you use for watching anime.

Personally I'm not worried at all.
.................................................................................
Jul 30, 2014 1:09 AM

Oct 2013
I am surprised that over at the forum of bakabt that no one is speaking of this at all!! (But I think they do not care at allXD)
Jul 30, 2014 1:17 AM

Jun 2013
So this is japan version of SOPA/PIPA ??
I guess yes
Jul 30, 2014 1:20 AM

Jan 2013
jkara said:

They arent.

Anything free obviously isn't legal.

Date_A_Live said:

As long as people upload raws there will be piracy.
Jul 30, 2014 1:21 AM
Jan 2013
SolvyTwerk4Jesus said:
jkara said:

They arent.

So how can we watch anime now??
Jul 30, 2014 1:28 AM

Feb 2012
Frost_Kiss said:
SolvyTwerk4Jesus said:

They arent.

torrents.
Jul 30, 2014 1:29 AM

Jan 2013
Nucksen said:
Frost_Kiss said:

torrents.

I doubt kissanime or any of the other american sites will go down.

And if they do, they will just become Kissanime.ru and keep trucking.
Jul 30, 2014 1:32 AM
Mar 2012
SolvyTwerk4Jesus said:
Nucksen said:

torrents.

Agreed. Pretty much change the domain name and you're all set. All the not-so-legal sites I know at least cycled through this once
Jul 30, 2014 2:11 AM
Dec 2013
they would probably take down few big names out there.the fact they made such a open statement means they are ready to sue.
Jul 30, 2014 2:22 AM

Jul 2014
SolvyTwerk4Jesus said:
Nucksen said:

torrents.

Beside kissanime, sites like Animultima unlikely will go down.

Jul 30, 2014 2:49 AM

May 2013
Haha! So now they're making their move. I'm guessing this will be undone because they can't stop something like this.
Jul 30, 2014 2:54 AM
Anime Moderator
Grammar Queen

Jun 2008
News Update
METI (Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry) has published a press release stating 500 manga works and 80 anime works are being targeted, not websites. The press release includes a PowerPoint that contains an actual list of websites they are targeting. Included are scanlation sites (slides 11-12), fansub upload websites (slides 13-15), direct download websites (slide 16), torrent sites (slides 17-18), and redistribution websites (slides 19-20).

Source: METI press release
p r o f i l e 👀
Jul 30, 2014 3:04 AM

Jul 2014
Naruleach said:
News Update
METI (Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry) has published a press release stating 500 manga works and 80 anime works are being targeted, not websites. The press release includes a PowerPoint that contains an actual list of websites they are targeting. Included are scanlation sites (slides 11-12), fansub upload websites (slides 13-15), direct download websites (slide 16), torrent sites (slides 17-18), and redistribution websites (slides 19-20).

Aaaah, Animeultima.tv & Animeplus.tv is on their target list. Including Kissanime as well.
Mangareader, Mangafox,and Mangahere. The top 3 big sites of reading manga online and the top 3 that are on the top of the list. Following with mangapanda and mangastream :O
They are hitting the big fish.

Jul 30, 2014 3:13 AM
Nov 2008
'the pirate bap', slide 10.

anyway, this looks like it'll be a bit too much effort for them. it's ambitious for sure, but i wonder if they'll be able to keep up and actually garner any support from foreign countries to take any action. i doubt it, not when there's no local entities to benefit.

i see lots of mentions of crunchyroll. guess they must really like them. if this all goes well and crunchy gets more series, i'll buy a subscription.
Jul 30, 2014 3:26 AM

Oct 2013
Naruleach said:
News Update The press release includes a PowerPoint that contains an actual list of websites they are targeting.

direct download websites (slide 16), [/url]

Well their list really seems up to date. On the direct download sites there are at least 5 that are offline for years already. Just because their links are still everywhere on the internet doesn't mean that people can still download that stuff on these sites.
Jul 30, 2014 3:27 AM

Apr 2012
DerpHole said:
People always like to cite these huge numbers about how much money they're losing to piracy... like 5.5 billion dollars.

Practically speaking however, these "losses" are a lot less than they are purported to be - simply because if piracy wasn't available, then those potential consumers likely wouldn't ever experience your content at all.

Just because 1 million people "stole" your movie/TV show or whatever, does not magically mean that those 1 million people would have bought your product if piracy wasn't a thing.

Actually... They didn't lose any money at all. They lost some potential money.

They also lost potential cancer.
And some potential syphilis.

Autocrat said:
Hitler was good, objectively.
Jul 30, 2014 3:29 AM

Jan 2011
lol at myspace being on their list.
Jul 30, 2014 3:29 AM

Jan 2009
Seiryuu2 said:
Naruleach said:
News Update

Aaaah, Animeultima.tv & Animeplus.tv is on their target list. Including Kissanime as well.
Mangareader, Mangafox,and Mangahere. The top 3 big sites of reading manga online and the top 3 that are on the top of the list. Following with mangapanda and mangastream :O
They are hitting the big fish.

those anime illegal streaming sties are nothing without nyaatorrents (and its actually included in the list of the sites they gonna take down) goodluck japan lol

its nice that bakabt is not on their list though
Jul 30, 2014 3:33 AM

Apr 2012
AO968 said:
Kurogashi said:
Wow some people are so delusional that it's not even funny. I hope the Japanese government comes down hard on piracy and once the WWW is regulated up to people's necks, it'd be one hell of a sight to see people crying about how they can no longer P2P. Finally, content creators will get paid for their work.

Talk about being delusional.

Content creators will be paid the same, piracy or no piracy. The only ones benefiting from this are the publishers, the people the content creators have sold their souls to and they have already so much money, it's ridiculous.

The issue isn't about whether or not people get paid for their product, it's about them not being able to control what we see, where we see it, how we see it, etc. Because of p2p, we became the ones in control, and they don't like that, claiming it costs the content providers money, which is a complete and utter lie over the backs of said content creators. And the actual creators don't fight back, because they're caught between speaking up and lose their contract or stay quiet and get what they get. All the publishers lose is the money from marketing, which is less than the money they're pumping in this anti-piracy campaign, and that can be easily dealt with if they use the internet to their advantage.

And how is 'the Internet being the greatest marketing device' an excuse to pirate content? That's what a marketing budget is for; and I can assure you it's a lot less than how much they lose from piracy.

How can you NOT understand this? When you have millions of people around the world who can freely access something they've never seen or heard before, how is this NOT the best form of free advertisement you can get?

[url-=http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/digital-piracy-not-harming-entertainment-industries-study-1.1894729]Studies[/url] show that piracy is a very effective tool to help boost sales (in this case music, but it works for movies and anime as well, as the underlying principle is exactly the same). After all, if people what they see, they're more inclined to buy. Without this free and unlimited access to free anime and manga, I wouldn't even be here. The sole reason I became an anime/manga fan is because of piracy.

if they want to fight piracy, they have to offer each and every anime ever made with (at least) English subtitles, no DRM, region lock or any other restriction, in high quality for stream and download. And they can charge a small fee for it if they feel the need to, we're not that stingy. However, because I'm sure they're not going to do that (because that takes effort and money), piracy will always exist.

Unfortunately, this will be many years off before the government can ever pull off such feat because pirates are still voters and no politicians would want to face the backlash of taking away people's free stuff.

They can't pull it off because they think everyone will just do whatever they say without protest. Wanna bet that only a handful of those sites will do so and that the rest will just chug along like nothing ever happened? Sure, they can have those sites blocked, but the sites are merely a front. The people behind those sites will still go on their merry little way. And it's not like these sites cannot just pop up elsewhere and continue their operations.

If you want to stop piracy, offer a better product than them, get rid of the pointless restrictions and give the people exactly what they want. Right now, they're not doing that, so piracy is there to fulfill the market the industry itself is ignoring.

Oh, and yeah, this is what you're looking for if you need an answer for why you're wrong in saying Japan is right in doing this.

Autocrat said:
Jul 30, 2014 3:37 AM

Apr 2009
Naruleach said:
News Update

Well, good luck convincing the 'Pirate Bap'. Is it even a major animu distributor?

Also, the title of this whole project is a bit too silly. How about we just call it "Operation Pirate Bap"?
Jul 30, 2014 3:47 AM
Nov 2013
Oh god.... what if mangafox, nyaa and all those "big fish" has been taken down.... where are be suppose to watch/read anime/manga....
Jul 30, 2014 3:49 AM

Jan 2009
hehe652 said:
Oh god.... what if mangafox, nyaa and all those "big fish" has been taken down.... where are be suppose to watch/read anime/manga....

IRC/XDCC downloading, old school style
Jul 30, 2014 3:50 AM
Nov 2013
j0x said:
hehe652 said:

Idk how to use that...
Jul 30, 2014 3:52 AM

Apr 2012
j0x said:
hehe652 said:

I actually forgot how to use all that...

Goddamn it.

Autocrat said:
Jul 30, 2014 3:52 AM

Jun 2010
I don't exactly know how will they work this out. More like they are just scaring the pirates and nothing else..
Jul 30, 2014 3:54 AM

Jan 2011
Why are there people on here taking this seriously, it'll crash and burn, relax.
Jul 30, 2014 3:58 AM
Nov 2013
ReaperCreeper said:
Why are there people on here taking this seriously, it'll crash and burn, relax.

I am legitimately afraid about this Operation...
Jul 30, 2014 4:00 AM

Dec 2011
I am legitimately laughing at everyone who seems to be treating this as the end of the world or something.
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Jul 30, 2014 4:04 AM

Apr 2009
hehe652 said:
ReaperCreeper said:

The most Operation Pirate Bap could do is a few more people finally learning how to torrent.
Jul 30, 2014 4:06 AM

Apr 2012
kuuderes_shadow said:
I am legitimately laughing at everyone who seems to be treating this as the end of the world or something.
It's the end of the thepiratebap as we know it.
Nanaca said:
hehe652 said:

The most Operation Pirate Bap could do is a few more people finally learning how to torrent.

Fuck you, onii-chan, I don't wanna know how to torrent.

Autocrat said:
Jul 30, 2014 4:10 AM

Oct 2013
I am relived to see that bakabt is not on the list/powerpoint:)
(It saved my dayXD)
Jul 30, 2014 4:26 AM

Jul 2014
It seems we are misunderstanding something.
The news itself said they are targeting manga and anime works, not the websites itself.
Most likely, they only wanted the targeted manga and anime deleted from the sites are listed on the table list.

Jul 30, 2014 4:28 AM

Apr 2012
Seiryuu2 said:
The news itself said they are targeting manga and anime works, not the websites itself.
Most likely, they only wanted the targeted manga and anime deleted from the sites are listed on the table list.

Thank you, Cpt.Obvious.

That's why it's even worse, it'll never happen, hehe.

Autocrat said:
Jul 30, 2014 4:31 AM

Jul 2014
Immahnoob said:
Seiryuu2 said:

Thank you, Cpt.Obvious.

That's why it's even worse, it'll never happen, hehe.

lol, but still >.>>>>
nevermind, let's see how this going to be ended.

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (30) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Voice Actors Minami Tsuda, Tatsumaru Tachibana Announce Marriage

Hyperion_PS - 43 minutes ago

0 by Hyperion_PS »»
43 minutes ago

» 'Yarinaoshi Reijou wa Ryuutei Heika wo Kouryakuchuu' Unveils Additional Cast for Fall 2024

Hyperion_PS - 55 minutes ago

0 by Hyperion_PS »»
55 minutes ago

» 'Shoushimin Series' Unveils Additional Staff, Theme Songs, Second Promo

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

3 by KitsuFrost »»
2 hours ago

» 'Kimi no Koto ga Daidaidaidaidaisuki na 100-nin no Kanojo' Season 2 Reveals Additional Cast, Winter 2025 Premiere

DatRandomDude - 2 hours ago

1 by Yubisoft »»
2 hours ago

» 'Yami Shibai' Gets 13th Season in Summer 2024

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

10 by Gardevoir7 »»
4 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.