Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jul 10, 2008 3:02 PM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Yay, background story!

It was another amazing episode about how Kino's journey started. It was so weird seeing that close-minded, seemingly brainwashed society the girl used to live in. Her father had no emotions whatsoever when he accidentally stabbed the original Kino. Laughed and didn't know what to do. Very well written.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Aug 22, 2008 4:27 AM

Jul 2007
This anime is just AMAZING!!! this episode had such a great story and i was shocked to know kino was a girl ;P
Aug 22, 2008 11:35 PM

Jul 2008
Her older self doesn't sound, look, or act at all like a girl. At the beginning of this ep I thought she was cross dressing >.>
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 16, 2008 5:08 AM
Feb 2008
i wonder what her real name is
Sep 16, 2008 6:29 AM

Apr 2007
dabazzinator said:
i wonder what her real name is

I can't remember properly if their were hints in this episode or not (or should I say obvious hints), but...

Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 21, 2008 10:43 AM

Feb 2008
Amazing episode.
Oct 5, 2008 10:33 AM

Jul 2008
I actually didn't really start enjoying the series until this episode. :3 Nicely done story. ^_^

"Did you just fart?"
"No." ... "This is the part where you ask me if I lied."
Oct 15, 2008 8:59 AM

May 2007
Man I liked the first Kino and just a bit thought we had had a time skip.

Anyway Kino's Journey continues to be good.
My anime list
Oct 18, 2008 12:38 AM
Jul 2018
makes me glad im not born in her world -.-
Nov 7, 2008 3:15 PM

May 2008
The motorad starts talking just after the death of the "first" Kino.
Could it be that, somehow, he reincarnated into the motorad to continue to protect the new Kino ?

In the previous episodes, we see that other people can hear Hermes, so the voice is not an imaginary friend of Kino.

EDIT :
And we now know where Kino heard the line (about birds and travels) she said in the first episode... she said she didn't remember. O RLY ?
RuzgfpegkNov 7, 2008 3:22 PM
Dec 7, 2008 5:48 AM

Feb 2008
Best episode so far!

“That which does not kill us makes us stronger.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Dec 17, 2008 11:26 AM

Jul 2007
Ruzgfpegk said:
The motorad starts talking just after the death of the "first" Kino.
Could it be that, somehow, he reincarnated into the motorad to continue to protect the new Kino ?

In the previous episodes, we see that other people can hear Hermes, so the voice is not an imaginary friend of Kino.

EDIT :
And we now know where Kino heard the line (about birds and travels) she said in the first episode... she said she didn't remember. O RLY ?

Having seen up to episode 8, I have a feeling that the motorrad could only talk when someone actually fixed him up. It had done a close up on him earlier but I think it's like doing a close-up on a bum; he was messed up and couldn't say anything at least not that anyone could hear him ('cept maybe Kino b/c he's special ^_^)
きみ は だれ だい?
ぼく は ラムボ!
ぼく は だれ だい?
きみ は ラムボ!
ラムボ なんでし!
Jan 1, 2009 4:54 PM

Dec 2008
Well this series really is brilliant. I was glad to see Kino's character rounded a bit from the blank, rational mirror to convey social commentary that she's been hitherto. And while making this episode all about the character of Kino, they still managed to have another big ethical conundrum.

Would the real Kino have been right to take our Kino away from her family?

Really thought-provoking as well as gripping stuff.
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
Jan 17, 2009 12:33 PM
Apr 2008
Great stuff. It's really good to get back story on a main character/one you like. Really thought provoking and interesting. The original Kino reminded me of someone from a different anime, though i can't name who.

Classic, it's a shame it's only got 13 episodes...

Jan 31, 2009 9:59 AM

Mar 2008
Wow, very good episode.
I wonder, where the adults in Kino's country truly happy? They smiled all the time, but didn't seem to have more emotions than that.
Feb 7, 2009 5:24 AM

May 2008
Omg, that was sad.:(

Omg, Kino was once girly.:O
Not that she had much choice. People are products of their surroundings after all. And people might have killed her if she didn't try to wear a dress. Knowing them.

So glad she changed, I prefer Kino like a boy.^-^

Old avatar and sig retired for now.
Mar 10, 2009 3:13 PM

Jul 2008
canadianchill said:
Her older self doesn't sound, look, or act at all like a girl. At the beginning of this ep I thought she was cross dressing >.>

At the beginning, I just thought Kino was a boy the whole time, even though he did look a bit girly! Boys in anime look girly a lot so I didn't ask any questions, then I was genuinely surprised to find out Kino was a girl!

Smiley26 said:
Classic, it's a shame it's only got 13 episodes...

There's a sequel though, so at least there's gonna be more!!

EDIT: Oh crap, just looked and it's only a movie, not a proper sequel...

....This is so good so far, I'm at the 6th episode now and every single episode has been different and kind of creepy. I really want to add 'horror' to my tags for this one but it isn't really scary, just....a bit unnerving at times.
TwiggletMar 10, 2009 4:23 PM
"LET'S HOSPITAL!"
Mar 18, 2009 11:48 AM

Feb 2008
So how did really a motorrad talk? LOL! XD

Love to see a background story for the main character. :D
May 16, 2009 9:41 AM

Jul 2008
babykeiji said:
Love to see a background story for the main character. :D

There is in Kino's Journey: Life Goes On slightly. The background story is also in this episode though.
"LET'S HOSPITAL!"
Aug 7, 2009 4:51 AM

Jun 2008
Loved this episode, it was sad. ;____;
Nowdays there are really few animes (if any) which would do something like this.

As side note, anyone noticed that Kino named one of her guns Canon. And in this episode both Kinos were singing the melody of Pachelbel's Canon. Wonder if the name came from there?
Aug 7, 2009 9:35 AM
Jun 2008
Back then, when Kino was only a child, she was so cute ^-^
What's more, what a strange place Kino's come from =P
Aug 21, 2009 12:27 PM

Apr 2009
Another good episode! Love the lyrics to that "Canon" song.
Sep 11, 2009 10:57 AM

Sep 2008
It's a good thing Kino got out of that country. I was really shocked when her parents were standing there smiling as her dad held out the knife. o_o Kids are the property of their parents?! Unbelievable. I'm sure anyone who could consciously recognise how terrible it is would hate living in that country...

Poor [original] Kino. :\ It's kind of weird that Hermes can actually talk though. I wonder how that works. I'm looking forward to finding out what Kino's name is, too. I really loved this episode though; it's nice to have the background of our main character...
Oct 19, 2009 4:36 AM

Jan 2009
Amazing episode. The town was really messed up with the 'surgery' and trying to murder her. I don't really believe the surgery turned them into adults, just made them really stupid so they'd smile at everything. Scary. Great episode though.
Nov 2, 2009 1:17 AM

Jan 2009
I couldn't even imagine living in a society like that.

...even though in some ways it's pretty much the same as ours. We go to school, graduate, and go to some stupid job that we don't wanna do.
Dec 4, 2009 7:22 PM

Oct 2009
Wow, I was expecting a boring episode about friendship and balance and got Higurashi instead o.O

People laughing as they pull a knife out of a man they just murdered is pretty creepy. Although I have to admit some of the effect is lost since there's only 5-10 mins of buildup seeing as how this series is episodic.

And yes, loli Kino was sugoi kawaii desu ^_^
Dec 29, 2009 3:15 PM

May 2009
Kenkei said:
I actually didn't really start enjoying the series until this episode.
Same here. This episode was great!
What the hell was with that fucked up society and adults?! Hermes really saved her that time.
Jan 9, 2010 4:39 AM

Aug 2008
stAtic91 said:
Kenkei said:
I actually didn't really start enjoying the series until this episode.
Same here. This episode was great!
What the hell was with that fucked up society and adults?! Hermes really saved her that time.
Same for me as well.
Mar 5, 2010 2:28 AM

Feb 2010
Would the real Kino have been right to take our Kino away from her family?

If she asked, yes. She was almost considered "adult" anyway, reaching that age. While watching I was expecting first-Kino to make that proposition, not that crazy move. I mean, how would it help? Either help the girl or leave her. `cept leaving after you've caused it all in the first place would be irresponsible.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here.
Mar 7, 2010 12:40 AM
Sep 2009
This is actually one of the first episodes I saw of this series, and the one that got me hooked. Never really saw too much of the rest, though.
Three years later, here I am watching (what I thought at the time was) the final episode. Nostalgia FTW.
I think what's great about this show is that it doesn't matter what order you watch it in, it'll still be thought provoking and memorable :)
Just my two cents.
May 3, 2010 8:23 PM

Feb 2010
Very interesting background story, this series keeps amazing me..
I probably regret this post by now.
May 18, 2010 3:55 AM

Apr 2009
I thought that part where Kino left her town was very liberating.
Great episode.

What disturbed me the most was how the "adults" reacted when the first Kino died.
"Do we take out the knife or what? Hahaha!"
Their reliance on the gov't's definition of a true adult really terrified me.
Jun 5, 2010 2:56 PM

Jan 2010
omg this episode was just amazing...i love how they satire the real world :)
"we're grown up so it's obvious that we're responsable"...responsable my butt :p

Kino was a great man,it's a shame those animals killed him
Kino the girl was too cute as a kid <3...

i completely love this show already,this can be better than Mushishi :)

5/5
Sayonara,papa!

"Just how a mirror reflects you,people will also reflect your heart."
~Athena Glory,Aria

"Whatever happens,happens"
~Spike Spiegel's thoughts on dying(Cowboy Bebop)
Jul 12, 2010 6:49 AM

Aug 2008
this story reminds me a little bit of the novel " the giver"...

what a sad story
Jul 13, 2010 7:03 AM
Feb 2009
Well now the quotes definitely aren't pretentious
Sep 16, 2010 9:11 AM

Mar 2008
LolitaDecay said:
Amazing episode.

Agreed. This anime carries a bitter taste to it...such a eerie sad world...
Nov 5, 2010 10:02 AM

Aug 2010
Dammit, I had a hunch that the real Kino was going to die. He was a pretty cool fellow too.
Dec 13, 2010 4:44 AM

Aug 2010
Kuroi-kaze said:

As side note, anyone noticed that Kino named one of her guns Canon. And in this episode both Kinos were singing the melody of Pachelbel's Canon. Wonder if the name came from there?

I noticed this as well, among many other subtleties. I really like how this anime gives you lots of little treats of info and story without blatantly shouting it at you like you're an idiot. The show doesn't assume the audience is retarded, which is rare.

I really liked seeing our Kino as a cute little girl, it really gives some perspective on the emotions she's feeling during her travels (for example, when she got the ring as a reward).

One of my favorite moments of this episode was toward the end when Hermes asks what her name is. The transition from "atashi wa.... atashi wa... WATASHI wa Kino" was huge to me. and then of course she eventually refers to herself as "boku."

Fantastic anime so far, really glad i decided to give it a shot, even if I'm late to the party.
ThillygoothDec 14, 2010 5:42 AM
Dec 13, 2010 4:49 AM

Aug 2010
kleeny said:
this story reminds me a little bit of the novel " the giver"...

what a sad story

Lol, I remember reading The Giver in elementary school. Looking back, it was a pretty depressing story for a bunch of 4th graders to be reading as a class.
Jan 6, 2011 7:31 AM

Apr 2010
So Kino is a trap, didn't see that coming. A good episode. Now I'm wondering what her real name is.
Jan 17, 2011 9:56 PM

Sep 2009
OH GOD LOL I was killing myself trying to remember why that song sounded SO familiar.
hahaha
Pachelbel you bastard
Mar 7, 2011 9:05 AM

Jun 2009
The truth is: smiling is not happiness. All the surgery did was “extirpate” their freewill, thus losing the ability to take a voluntary decision, their independence. What was left was the rationality, the common sense in its most archaic outlook, so to not to be bound by feelings, to do whatever you have to without obstacles, to work even if you don’t enjoy life, even if you don’t like what you’re doing. Just because you have to. Just because you’re obliged to.

One believes it’s the best for the society, for the progress, but it isn’t human anymore. It’s a machine. They’ve lost the humanism. Out of its flawed plain logic, nothing makes sense and they don’t know how to act; that was what happened in that town. That happened to all those little kids. What could’ve happened to Kino.
AnisamarMar 7, 2011 6:07 PM
I think, then procrastinate.
Therefore, I am.
Aug 6, 2011 4:10 AM

May 2010
And he dies
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Nov 8, 2011 9:39 AM

Jul 2010
omg never expected kino to be a girl (totally shocked me).

real kino dies from being stabbed by the f*ck up adults, beacuse he was trying to protect kino (girl)

- I'm glad the world isn't like that in real life brainwashing kids to becoming adults and smiling at everything
Dec 2, 2011 8:32 PM
Jul 2018
dlee342 said:

- I'm glad the world isn't like that in real life brainwashing kids to becoming adults and smiling at everything

ever worked in corporate america?

too much reality with this episode. great perspective on the working society
Dec 22, 2011 11:15 AM

Mar 2011
This is the first episode I actually enjoyed. Great background story. I never would have guessed Kino came from such weird country.
Jan 29, 2012 3:54 PM

Dec 2007
Lepchin said:

...even though in some ways it's pretty much the same as ours. We go to school, graduate, and go to some stupid job that we don't wanna do.

exactly what I thought while watching.
nice backstory and really thought provoking. This series might make it to my favourites.
Jan 30, 2012 4:28 AM

Feb 2009
So much meaning and depth in such short series... and this background episode "explains" some things, even if the world of Kino is more abstract than anything. But seriously, fabulous episode... and Kino is a girl, I swear it caught me off guard.
Feb 16, 2012 5:55 AM

Feb 2012
Kino was cute :). Another enjoyable episode, it reminded me a bit of the episode Examination Day from The Twilight Zone. I wonder if all the episodes have a similar theme of all countries participating in some collective idiocy. A very individualist message so far anyway.
Apr 5, 2012 8:09 PM

Feb 2010
That was one of the best episodes I've ever watched of anything. Not the best, but up there.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kino's Journey Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

cyruz - Jul 16, 2008

99 by mySaudate »»
May 5, 6:29 AM

Poll: » Kino's Journey Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

cyruz - Jul 15, 2008

84 by mySaudate »»
May 4, 5:01 AM

Poll: » Kino's Journey Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

cyruz - Jul 11, 2008

128 by Drakath_V »»
May 4, 1:16 AM

Poll: » Kino's Journey Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Kotori - Apr 15, 2008

179 by mySaudate »»
Apr 30, 5:30 AM

Poll: » Kino's Journey Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

cyruz - Jul 8, 2008

122 by PlasticRobot »»
Apr 29, 4:39 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.