Forum Settings
Forums
Initial D
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jun 22, 2020 1:58 PM

May 2010
Um we didn't find out who slip that note into Takumi's locker.
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Jun 27, 2020 7:03 PM

Oct 2013
Pretty good movie. A lot of content was to be included, but the movie managed to include all of them well, although some of scenes could've been longer, some could've been shorter, but oh well. Third Stage was a movie and movies differ in many aspects from regular TV series not only in terms of their lengths, but also in such things as dynamism or balance between "slower (less dynamic)" and "faster (more dynamic)" scenes.

While many questions were answered, some of them still remain unanswered for me... To be precise, two questions: firstly, who is a person who slipped the note about Mogi to Takumi's locker? And second question: what does Kenji do in life? He is literally almost always at the gas station talking to other guys and watching them working, lol. I wonder why he didn't ask the manager to employ him.
Jul 18, 2020 1:49 PM

Feb 2008
Many enjoyable races.

Although how Natsuki ended up in her ex's car is bewildering, I am glad that Takumi rescued her from that creeper. Natsuki fucked up bad, but she has undeniably grown a lot. I can appreciate that.
Aug 10, 2020 4:13 PM
Oct 2019
This wasn't nearly as good as the first two stages. I kept hoping it would end soon.

Per usual, Natsuki SUCKS. Absolutely hate her. And stupid of Takumi to love her. What a loser. I hope her moving to Tokyo means we never have to see her again. That said, just because she's a slut doesn't mean someone should smack her around and try to rape her. That whole scene and Takumi coming to get rescue was terrible. Worst part of the movie and the movie was only a 6/10 overall anyways. At least they finally explained that scene from state one, where Takumi beat up that guy. It didn't make much sense back then. But also further shows how big of a skank Natsuki is.

I hope Initial D gets its mojo back in stage 4.
Nov 20, 2020 2:11 PM

May 2018
Didn't care about the Mogi scenes. Whores be whores, and whores can never be forgiven :V

I liked the races and strategies though so it's still interesting for me
Feb 1, 2021 12:50 PM

Aug 2018
I dont understand why Takumi still saved Mogi and they got back together. She sleeps with almost every guy. what a disgusting woman.

Apr 27, 2021 8:55 AM

Aug 2018
The film overall was a pretty good one but there were definitely places where it felt extremely rushed, I mean they pretty much showed 4 races in 1h and 40 minutes runtime which is a lot.

There were however things that I liked about the film:

-The first two races of the film
-Takumi and Mogi getting their relationship back on track
-The graduation ceremony
-The fact that final race between Ryosuke and Takumi was left to decide for us, but I think it ended as a tie since it was friendly race at the end of the day

But with good things I think that there were quite a few bad things besides rushed parts. The animation quality was good but could've been better for 2001 knowing how other anime movies from those days look like, we still got same barely improved CGI and early 90s animation that feels a little outdated. Also there wasn't much plot to this film, only takumi racing one opponent then getting challenged by another then going after another and so on. We also didn't get much about Takumi's family and why christmas isn't really celebrated at his house and more backstory about Bunta and Kogashiwa rivaly.

Overall its a good film that could've been done better maybe if it had 2 hours of runtime and a little bigger budget specially for CGI animation.

I'd be giving this film a rating of 7.3/10 and a look forward to fourth stage

May 11, 2021 3:46 PM

Sep 2014
This was pretty good, especially the production quality. over 20 years old now and it looks this decent? Huge win over the earlier seasons, especially since they actually reanimated the flashback scenes instead of reusing the ugly old ones.

Halfway through I was wondering why this was a movie and not its own season, it had enough content but I guess its better this way if it means good quality. The Emperor rematch felt a bit weak though, same with the 86 race. Having "draws" like that just feel a bit weird after the old 86 demolished every opponent.
Maybe it lacked the proper buildup, especially since Takumi developed from "dont wanna race" over "sure if you insist" to "race me". Now its "Race? Race! Start! done."

Surprisingly enough the characters and relationships also progress quite well, even kept the "dont get so close or people will think we are friends". Not what I had expected from this series but its really strong here too. Mogi is also not the boring type of romance interest we see so often.

Not enough eurobeat though.

PS: Also the guy who basically kidnapped Mogi, "He has no car, what a looser" "He has a car?? Better go fast" lmao
PPS: Im also just a sucker for these clished sunset graduation romance stuff, especially in the pre moe style of anime. It feels weirdly nostalgic and reassuring, especially watching it in a 20 year old movie. Like its saying "sure life is going to change but what happened wont be lost".
Comander-07May 11, 2021 3:56 PM
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Jun 5, 2021 4:17 PM

Jul 2011
It was fine overall.. 6/10

I'm glad the whore is gone to Tokyo and hoping never see her again.

No more cheesy drama please, all focus on racing (some light romance's still welcomed tho) :)
Aug 5, 2021 10:45 PM

Jul 2020
The movie was actually pretty good until that dumbass tried kidnapping Natsuki. I’m glad it ended on a good note though
Oct 15, 2021 5:25 PM

Jun 2016
Hmm,

I think the second season was still better, but this was pretty good!

Racing scenes were alright, I wouldn't say they were super memorable but they weren't just completely forgettable either. I think the race with Kogashiwa was really cool, because it gave backstory not just to Bunta, but the whole area and even the gas-station manager.

Romance, hm. I thought it was handled pretty well. Takumi still loved her despite everything that happened, and as easy as it is to just say to break it off, he already had that love for her even though they had that break after he found out. She tried to better herself, and he noticed eventually, and they bonded. I don't know if they'll end up together, and I don't really care, but I think it was handled well. (On a side note, I wonder if Mako and Sayuki will ever come back in the fray, we saw a tiny bit of them in here. Sayuki would make a good GF for Takumi. Also Kazumi ever coming back for Itsuki hopefully?)

I hope Takumi continues to get better, and I know this is supposed to be based on Keiichi Tsuchiya but I wonder how long he can continue with just the AE86. I love it, but I feel like every single season there is a newer and better car, and I wonder how long he can just keep upgrading his old car to match them? We'll see with Ryouske's training what he can accomplish.

7/10
Nov 29, 2021 12:27 PM

Aug 2020
I understand why Takumi is attached to Mogi, but damn that girl pisses me off. I get it, she changed, but still... She was never completely honest with Takumi, didn't even tell him about Miki. "Takumi, we will talk in your car" - and then just never mention WHO this guy was, lol...

Hope she stays in Tokyo, our guy is better off without her.

Besides this, I really enjoyed this episode!
Jan 22, 2022 8:12 AM

Jul 2021
This was pretty good. Felt kinda new to watch it in 16:9 format. Enjoyed this a lot.

This was kind of a prequel to Takumi's new journey as a memeber of Ryosuke's new team.

This had lots of fun races too but they weren't as fun as firsr stage, IDK first stage races just feel amazing for some reason,, more amazing than the second stage and third stage.

Takumi graduated, his story with Mogi ended too, he has now started a job as local delivery person and is learning more about cars with Ryosuke and team. Everything's going well.

Looking forward to what fourth stage has in store. I'll rate this movie a 8/10 coz it was good but not as much as first and second stage. I rated first stage a 10/10, second stage a 9/10 so third stage deserves 8/10 in my book. I hope fourth stage surpasses first stage in terms of everything. Can't wait to watch it.

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

Feb 22, 2022 11:03 AM

Jan 2021
It was cool to watch Bunta’s rivals son and Takumi race and that speed away move at the 3rd corner was intense but Takumi secured the win

May 20, 2022 4:47 PM

Mar 2021
I think the movie is satisfying and well-rounded for the most part.

The race against Kei (Buntas' rivals' son) was very hype! I liked the new tactic that Kei used. He is also a likeable opponent, he treated Takumi with respect even after his defeat.

The little Christmas party was really nice, especially since Takumi and Bunta apparently never really celebrate Christmas. The tiny Christmas tree that Mogi brought in was cute, and the handmade Eight Six pendant was touching. Related to that, I'm really glad to see some more Bunta screentime.

The Mogi Damsel-in-distress part of the movie was the worst of it, but I still liked the chase that resulted from it. Mogi was stupid in that section, and her ex can go drive off a cliff.

They finally graduated highschool. Now that everyone is out of highschool, something will definitely feel like it's missing. :(

The bromance between Takumi and Ryosuke/Keisuke keeps growing, and I'm all here for it!

Takumi had some great character development here. I love how he is now passionate about racing and learning about car tuning. He finally has a dream and I hope he can accomplish it.

Jun 17, 2022 6:49 PM

Oct 2015
Honestly I think this was a below lukewarm movie.

The battles were subpar, even the long awaited revenge battle with Emperor's Kyoichi and Takumi didn't rev up my engine. As a rough looking dude, I thought Kyoichi would be a little aggressive in the race, but hell shit.
The Kei vs Takumi was going great until the ending ruined it. The Ryosuke and Takumi mock battle served no purpose to me because I wanted to know the results.

I went ballistic when Mogi was introduced into the plot. They should've just left things the way they were, that train has passed a long time ago. To be completely honest, I don't like Mogi, I get it she changed but I didn't want her to get back together with Takumi. I get it the series wanted to resolve the matter to move on, but it was done terribly. Takumi should've forgiven her, but stay as casual friends, not as lovers, I've lost respect for Takumi. The rescue part was necessary though, but after that Takumi should've kept the conversation at arms length.

The animation was as inconsistent as the plot.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Jul 7, 2022 1:24 PM

Jun 2020
I would've murdered that guy no cap
Jul 29, 2022 12:34 PM

Aug 2021
Great movie
The art improved a lot in this one.....All the races were great and glad that he'll join the Ryosuke team
Oct 19, 2022 12:18 PM
Dec 2021
it was fucking amazing
Nov 11, 2022 7:14 AM

Jun 2020
Movie is kind of alright, Racing is still what shapes the series starting off by challenging the evo that I didn't expect really made it even but I want to see the evo more serious than this like the time he beat Takumi not really but blew his engine still

With a mix of drama and romance still don't like Mogi as a person as to what she's done in the past but there's nothing that Takumi can do but move on sure Sayuki may be a better fit she's like as cheerful as Mogi and she might like a guide for him who knows

Damn seeing Miki's face in despair thinking he's faster was fulfilling he's clueless about the panda trueno and now he knows.
Jan 25, 2023 2:38 AM

Apr 2022
even after everything, takumi still liked mogi. tho he likes cars and racing even more.

takumi speeding through the snow for mogi and those car jump slow motions were so well done.

the animation was fireee, along with the music as usual, 9/10.

Dec 17, 2023 10:02 AM
Aug 2023
Okay, this was very nice.
Apr 29, 2:12 AM
Jan 2019
Reply to Serhiyko
Dizzee said:
You can't really tell if she had sex with them for money, maybe the old guy with Mercedes just wanted a company (I thought it was her dad at first LOL)?

It was pretty obvious to me that their relations were merely platonic. The case is she still met with him for money, and he wasn't the only one (also Miki at the very least). But I personally am on your side: calling her a whore is a little bit harsh
@Serhiyko Why are you so insistent that they aren't having sex lol they're clearly shown going in and out of love hotels together. Bizarre that you got this far through the show and you were still replying to people saying this. The show and manga are both pretty clear that Mogi slept around and cheated a lot.
Apr 29, 2:54 AM

Oct 2009
Pokyt said:
Why are you so insistent that they aren't having sex lol they're clearly shown going in and out of love hotels together.

Just because someone goes to a love hotel doesn't automatically mean they have sex there, this is only your assumption
Apr 29, 3:29 AM
Jan 2019
Reply to Serhiyko
Pokyt said:
Why are you so insistent that they aren't having sex lol they're clearly shown going in and out of love hotels together.

Just because someone goes to a love hotel doesn't automatically mean they have sex there, this is only your assumption
@Serhiyko Bro it has been TEN YEARS since you said that and you still haven't caught this? I did sort of think that maybe you were just a kid when you made those posts and didn't get it, but this is really crazy at this point.

"Love hotels" are places where people bring prostitutes to FUCK THEM. Just from watching the show, it's very clear that Mogi's having sex with the Benz guy along with Miki and half the school. That's her character, and it's what makes her relationship with Takumi so significant. She realizes that romance is something to value and not throw around aimlessly because Takumi is just that valuable to her. No one ever made her feel the way he did and it's because of that that she realized the true value of romance.

Conversely, Takumi starts out only valuing girls and other dumb stuff that high school boys obsess over, if you remember he only raced Keisuke because he needed gas to take Mogi out. As he keeps racing he realizes what a value it is to him, that he wants to pursue it head-on, and he enters the beginning stages of realizing that Mogi has no place in that pursuit. He starts spacing out on dates with Mogi thinking about his upcoming race with Ryosuke in stage 1, and by the mid-point of stage 2, after getting burned by Mogi, his engine dies and along with it goes the naive teenage boy that was Takumi.

That night was him realizing what his true love was. It wasn't the relationship with Natsuki that was important, it was his relationship with his beloved car.

Takumi wanders aimlessly for a bit trying to recover, but then the 86 gets a new engine, and he starts taking real, conscious steps toward pursuing his passions and developing his skills. The tachometer part was explicit in this regard. Along with the engine, he gains focus and maturity. He's a man now and he knows what he wants.

That brings us to the movie, where the arc of their relationship comes to a close. Mogi started out as an objectively horrible human being who was habitually dishonest and cruel to those around her, and ended it a mature woman with an understanding of the true value of hard work and romance. Takumi started out as a spacey teenage boy who spent his time thinking about girls and resented his dad for being so strict with him, and develops into a man with purpose. He forgives Mogi and learns to appreciate her efforts, and even respects her for making a conscious effort to change.

It's not about her anymore, though. He knows what he wants for himself and she isn't important enough to him to deviate from the path. He saw what amazing people Keisuke and Ryosuke are for their focus and pursuit of value, and that gave him incredible inspiration. This throughline is present as far back as First Stage, being especially clear in the episode where Itsuki drags Takumi to watch Keisuke and Nakazato race. Their whole conversation after that is explicitly about about what I've been saying.

If you think that Mogi isn't actually having sex with the Benz guy, or is unfairly maligned for her behavior in first and second stage then you have missed an integral part of the show. I feel sorry for you. It really is a brilliantly crafted story, and it's a shame to see so many miss key aspects of it. I won't get into how it's related to the events of Fourth, Fifth, and Final Stage here, but this character arc is far from finished by the time of Third Stage and it directly relates to the finale. Shigeno's writing is impeccable.

Also, since you've stuck with this delusion for ten years, I'll reference the manga even though I'm apparently not supposed to. Mogi is shown naked and in bed while the Benz guy is in the shower while on one of their love hotel escapades.

They're fucking. End of.
PokytApr 29, 3:32 AM
Apr 29, 4:10 AM

Oct 2009
Pokyt said:
it's very clear that Mogi's having sex with the Benz guy along with Miki and half the school

Even if she slept with Mogi or even with Miki also, doesn't mean she sleeps with everyone

Pokyt said:
Mogi is shown naked and in bed while the Benz guy is in the shower while on one of their love hotel escapades.

Can't argue with this if this is the case. Strange that the anime adaptation felt the need to add ambiguousness by not showing it explicitly
Apr 29, 9:02 AM
Jan 2019
Reply to Serhiyko
Pokyt said:
it's very clear that Mogi's having sex with the Benz guy along with Miki and half the school

Even if she slept with Mogi or even with Miki also, doesn't mean she sleeps with everyone

Pokyt said:
Mogi is shown naked and in bed while the Benz guy is in the shower while on one of their love hotel escapades.

Can't argue with this if this is the case. Strange that the anime adaptation felt the need to add ambiguousness by not showing it explicitly
It wasn't ambiguous at all, really. In episode 1 Mogi says, in response to Papa's request to see her in her new swimsuit, "you've already seen everything! You're such a pervert, papa." They are seen going into love hotels, and they are clearly involved from the conversations they have in the show. They just didn't show Mogi with her tits out like they did in the manga. That's it. From everything presented in the show it's very clearly an "enjo kousai" style relationship where teenage girls have sex with older men for money. It was a major thing in Japan for a while, but that context isn't even necessary to understand what's going on.

No clue why you would deny the obvious like that. Love hotels are universally known as places for having sex with prostitutes, and throughout the show she is calling the guy the Japanese equivalent of "daddy." A girl is calling an older man "daddy" and receiving a ton of money to go on dates with him and go to hotels, and you assumed they weren't fucking? How?

Also, Mogi is absolutely the town bike and this is well-established by the dialogue from Miki in stage 1 and 3rd stage. Natsuki even makes some comments about her past behavior there.
PokytApr 29, 9:10 AM
Jun 12, 10:51 PM

Aug 2019
that was a decent movie. the art style is my second favorite after stage 1 though takumi doesnt look like himself in this. everyone looks like they have dead fish eyes.
"fast beger"
i died laughing when mogi was being assaulted and then it just cut to takumi driving with eurobeat.

why is mogi so stupid? the guy comes up to her and tries to get her to come with him and "i wont bite or anything" somehow got her to be like "Okay"
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.